PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen -- Charlotte, NC -- September 27th, 2007

wavelength
09-30-2007, 10:18 PM
The following setlist is reposted from Blabbermouth.net. It is the set Van Halen played the other day on the first day of their "reunion" tour 2007. Looks like a pretty long set, with only songs from the David Lee Roth era, which encompasses 6 albums, 1978-1984.

01. You Really Got Me
02. I'm the One
03. Runnin' With the Devil
04. Romeo Delight
05. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
06. Beautiful Girls
07. Dance the Night Away
08. Atomic Punk
09. Everybody Wants Some
10. So This Is Love?
11. Mean Street
12. Pretty Woman
13. Drum Solo
14. Unchained
15. I'll Wait
16. And the Cradle Will Rock
17. Hot for Teacher
18. Little Dreamer
19. Little Guitars
20. Jamie's Cryin'
21. Ice Cream Man
22. Panama
23. Guitar Solo (incl. "Women in Love" intro, "Cathedral", "Eruption")
24. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
------------------------
25. 1984
26. Jump

metal_man1019
10-01-2007, 03:55 AM
Ive realy never liked the Hagar era.i found the music was to poppish, so im really happy there stickin with only roth material,and that looks like a great set

girnny777
10-01-2007, 05:36 AM
I wish I could have gotten tickets to this tour!

JRA
10-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Looks like a pretty long set,

Van Halen songs aren't as long as you think. My Van Halen playlist (which is pretty much every DLR song except I'll Wait) on iTunes only adds up to 3 hours.

jaysadler2
10-01-2007, 07:05 AM
What a quality set!! Would've loved to have seen this set with roth. I've been a fan of van halen for a few years and have never seen them live!!!

Hope they pay a visit to the u.k next?!?!?!?

Maiden33
10-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Ive realy never liked the Hagar era.i found the music was to poppish, so im really happy there stickin with only roth material,and that looks like a great set

Well it was obvious they would, Diva Dave would never perform Hagar material... not to mention he would make an ass out of himself attempting to sing it as Sammy is a far superior vocalist.

SomewhereInTime72
10-01-2007, 07:50 AM
I like the set. If tickets were a reasonable price, I would really want to see this.

Fe Maiden
10-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Well it was obvious they would, Diva Dave would never perform Hagar material... not to mention he would make an ass out of himself attempting to sing it as Sammy is a far superior vocalist.I agree, but there are just some VH songs where no one but Dave can do justice to them.

metal_man1019
10-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Well it was obvious they would, Diva Dave would never perform Hagar material... not to mention he would make an ass out of himself attempting to sing it as Sammy is a far superior vocalist.

I agree that dave iis a bit of an
ass and a show off at that but ive always likked his voice better than haggar

JRA
10-01-2007, 02:44 PM

As opposed to Sammy refusing to play any Dave era songs except Jump, Panama, and Ain't Talkin Bout Love?

ADD
10-01-2007, 03:29 PM

LAWL

es156
10-01-2007, 03:33 PM
As opposed to Sammy refusing to play any Dave era songs except Jump, Panama, and Ain't Talkin Bout Love?

In '04 they played You Really Got Me, Somebody Get Me A Doctor, and Unchained, as well as the songs you mentioned.

Div
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
No Eruption? WTF?

Maiden33
10-01-2007, 06:01 PM

The main point of my statement was that Dave has a far inferior voice on a technical level than Sammy does. Sammy can sing Dave's songs but even if Dave wanted to sing Sammy's, he'd suck at them.

JRA
10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
No Eruption? WTF?

But no Spanish Fly. :( Seriously, how much would that rule on an electric?

ADD
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
The main point of my statement was that Dave has a far inferior voice on a technical level than Sammy does. Sammy can sing Dave's songs but even if Dave wanted to sing Sammy's, he'd suck at them.

Who made you a vocal trainer, and furthermore what the hell does "technicality" have to do with how good a singer is? As far as I'm concerned Lemmy is one of the best vocalists ever.

Maiden33
10-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Who made you a vocal trainer, and furthermore what the hell does "technicality" have to do with how good a singer is? As far as I'm concerned Lemmy is one of the best vocalists ever.

It really bothers me when people claim that technically has nothing to do with being a singer. It's certainly not everything, and even if it's not a factor in how you judge them, you can't deny when one singer is better than another in a matter of range stylistically and note-wise and things of that nature. It's like any other instrument... you add your own touch, but you can judge on technicallity as well.

ADD
10-01-2007, 06:32 PM
you can't deny when one singer is better than another in a matter of range stylistically and note-wise and things of that nature.

You also can't qualify it when you have no idea what you're talking about :lol: If someone is a vocal coach, or takes singing lessons, I think they can make a judgment on the "technical" aspects of a vocalist being superior or inferior to another. I wouldn't comment on the technical prowess of a saxophonist cuz I have no idea how to play a sax. To my ears, David Lee Roth had a technically superior vocal capacity than Hagar in the 80's. Dunno about today cuz I haven't heard him today yet.

Although I need to mention that a major part of what made Van Halen's vocals so good was Michael Anthony's backing vox, which is why it really sucks that he isn't on this tour.

Div
10-01-2007, 09:09 PM

But no Spanish Fly. :( Seriously, how much would that rule on an electric?

Yea :/

Well atleast they played Panama. :blaze:

Maiden33
10-02-2007, 06:40 AM
You also can't qualify it when you have no idea what you're talking about :lol: If someone is a vocal coach, or takes singing lessons, I think they can make a judgment on the "technical" aspects of a vocalist being superior or inferior to another.

And how would you know I'm not qualified?

TheWhisper88
10-02-2007, 07:18 AM
I saw Van Halen last night in Philly and it was fucking awesome. I'm pretty sure that the setlist was the same as the one posted here, so I didn't bother making a new topic. The band had really good energy and it made the show very enjoyable. It looks as if Dave and Eddie are best of friends and that they haven't missed a beat. Wolfgang did ok on bass and he and Eddie covered the background vocals pretty well. Eddie was full of energy and was hopping all over the stage. Dave was also very energetic and did a really good job talking to the crowd and it looked like everyone was having a lot of fun on stage, especially Dave. I enjoyed Dave's little story and his comments here and there; he really is a great frontman. Vocally he was decent, not as good as in the 70s and 80s obviously, but still did a good job. It was all around a great show. The band played for a little over two hours, and the place was packed! The Wachovia Center is a pretty big sized area and it was very close to being sold out. Not many empty seats out there. All in all, great show, glad I went, I recommend it to anyone who was thinking about seeing it.

JRA
10-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Yea :/

Well atleast they played Panama. :blaze:

Why wouldn't they? :eyes:

DethMaiden
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Okay, I was staying out of it, but I can't any longer:

The entire "technicality" argument is bullshit. Keep your elitist standards to yourselves.

Fe Maiden
10-02-2007, 12:48 PM

The entire "technicality" argument is bullshit. Keep your elitist standards to yourselves.Sammy Hagar is technically a better guitar player than Roth:D

JRA
10-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Sammy Hagar is technically a better guitar player than Roth:D

"Time to dedicate one to the ladies!" :money:

hot_turkey_ed
10-02-2007, 10:01 PM

The entire "technicality" argument is bullshit. Keep your elitist standards to yourselves.

The prog-guy rants about elitism.... :LOLFC:

es156
10-03-2007, 06:09 AM

:lol:

DethMaiden
10-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Everyone in the world is an elitist in their own right. But you can't say someone is better than someone else at singing or anything else and not expect some backlash. Opinions are like assholes and what have you.

SomewhereInTime72
10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Opinions are like assholes and what have you.
Little boys have the best ones?

es156
10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
To: SIT72, NPJ

That is not funny in the slightest.

I should ban you both.

:hmm:

TonyD
10-03-2007, 09:47 PM
cant wait to see this in december...
nosebleed seats, better than no seats though
actually, I prefer no seats
but better than no tickets

the only dissapointing thing is that the encore is just Jump, which is the only DLR VH song I dont like