PDA

View Full Version : Most of us listen to a lot of "old bands" here...

JRA
09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Pretty much everybody listens to one band here from the 70's or earlier that's still functioning today. Do any of young uns' stop and think about one of those bands, say, Iron Maiden, and go "Wow, these guys are just as old as, if not older than my Dad?"

And as for you old timers, what goes through your head when you see a kid walking down the street wearing a Maiden, Priest, etc. shirt (assuming they aren't being ironic)?

ravenheart
09-18-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't think about it at all. A good band's a good band. New, old, young, current, who cares?

As for kids wearing old metal t-shirts, absolutely fine if they actually listen to the band. I think people in Maiden shirts only have them because they listen to them. Maiden shirts are too big and bold to wear as a fashion statement.

AC/DC and Ramones, on the other hand, people are wearing all over the place and you know they couldn't name a single song by either.

A friend of mine used to work in a rock clothing store and some kid, about 15, came in and asked for a Ram Ones shirt. Big fan, right there.

DethMaiden
09-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Well, a lot of the bands that I like, my dad liked at my age when they were still young bands. So I dunno.

zgodt
09-18-2007, 09:07 AM
A friend of mine used to work in a rock clothing store and some kid, about 15, came in and asked for a Ram Ones shirt. Big fan, right there.
:lol:

Fe Maiden
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
As an "old timer," I like to see younger folks wearing Maiden, RUSH, Scorpions, etc. shirts! That means they most likely listen to them and like them. I for one feel glad they listen to and enjoy good music rather than some of the other new (c)rap that exists.

Angelripper
09-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I think people who wear Metal shirts are posers.

Fe Maiden
09-18-2007, 09:30 AM
I think people who wear Metal shirts are posers.Mine are really made of cotton!

JRA
09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Mine are really made of cotton!

:lol:

Div
09-18-2007, 09:47 AM
I think people who wear Metal shirts are posers.

Agreed.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/warrior_nerd.jpg

es156
09-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Agreed.

Div, you've gained weight since the last picture you posted.

;)

Div
09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Div, you've gained weight since the last picture you posted.

;)

:lol: :finger:

Angelripper
09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
I hate Metal.

JRA
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I hate Metal.

Then why do you come to this board?

SirLardsAlot
09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
I hate Metal.

Me too!

I LOVE FERGIE!!!

I HOPE YOU KNOW I HOPE YOU KNOOOOOOOW
THAT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU
IT'S PERSONAL MYSELF AND I

Angelripper
09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
HAHA I TRICKED EVERYONE.

ravenheart
09-18-2007, 02:21 PM
I LOVE FERGIE!!!

See her with Aerosmith at that New York fashion thing?

Step-by-step guide on how to completely destroy a song.

ravenheart
09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
HAHA I TRICKED EVERYONE.

Into thinking you're a dick? Good job! :tp:

JRA
09-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Into thinking you're a dick? Good job! :tp:

Thank you.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-18-2007, 02:32 PM
my first thought when I see a young person wearing an old school metal shirt is "They must shop at Hot Topic."

JRA
09-18-2007, 02:40 PM
my first thought when I see a young person wearing an old school metal shirt is "They must shop at Hot Topic."

Yea, its a little irritating that the only places to buy metal shirts (well, that I know of) are Hot Topic and Spencer's, though it would be less irritating if they had the shirts I wanted.

(by the way, your new icon is the awesome!)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Yea, its a little irritating that the only places to buy metal shirts (well, that I know of) are Hot Topic and Spencer's, though it would be less irritating if they had the shirts I wanted.

They have some cool Slayer and Iron Maiden Shirts, but I quit wearing metal t-shirts years ago.

(by the way, your new icon is the awesome!)

thanks! :horns:

zgodt
09-18-2007, 06:13 PM
(c)rap

:hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't like the kids who wear metal shirts to be ironic, or who shop at Kohls or JC Penny for their metal shirts. I mean, who doesnt have a Killers shirt, ACDC, Jimi Hendrix, or Led Zep shirt? It pisses me off, because while Iron Maiden and Led Zep are pretty under-rated by the general public (at least some of their stuff), it has almost become a fashion statement to wear a 'rock' shirt.

Then you get every fucktard in high school wearing a rock and roll shirt, thinking they are bad ass. Pisses me off. Trivium shirts also suck.

Fortunately, Brad, my brother, and myself have enough metal shirts to clothe a few score..so....:D

DethMaiden
09-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I need more obscure prog shirts. Thing is, most of the bands are defunct and never made shirts in the first place.

ChildrenofSodom
09-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I need a Sacred Steel shirt. Is that obscure enough?

Div
09-18-2007, 07:48 PM
who doesnt have a Killers shirt, ACDC, Jimi Hendrix, or Led Zep shirt?

Me. Besides, those people are posers, and anyone who tries to talk to them about those bands will be able to tell within the first couple sentences that they aren't the real deal.

"What's your favorite song on Led Zeppelin 3?"
"Uhhh... stairway to heaven!"

ChildrenofSodom
09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Me. Besides, those people are posers, and anyone who tries to talk to them about those bands will be able to tell within the first couple sentences that they aren't the real deal.

"What's your favorite song on Led Zeppelin 3?"
"Uhhh... stairway to heaven!"

My point exactly. Out of those bands I listed, I had AN ACDC shirt, but I never wore..I dont remember why I bought it, actually.

I guess I can pride myself in wearing shirts of bands that no one knows. I'd rather have people say "Insomnium, never heard of them" compared to "Yeah man..Jimi Hendrix rocks." I guess i see the point of wearing a band t-shirt is to 'advertise' either the band or the fact that you like them. But whats the point of wearing a shirt that 25 million other teenagers have?

SirLardsAlot
09-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Half of my wardrobe is Maiden shirts, no lie.

ravenheart
09-19-2007, 12:35 AM
I've got shirts for bands from all kinds of eras, but I mostly buy them when I see a band, so I therefore don't have a Zep or AC/DC shirt, because I've never seen them and all the ones I do have are for albums or tours within the last 6 years.

A quick run down off the top of my head: Deep Purple (tour), Cathedral (tour), Candlemass (tour), Iron Maiden (event), The Answer (album), Chris Cornell (tour), McQueen (album), Gov't Mule (tour & 2x album), Guns N' Roses (2x tour, logo & album), Stream of Passion (tour), Witchcraft (album), Dio (tour), The Duke (logo), Stuck Mojo (logo), Black Label Society (logo & tour)

There are a few more I can't remember.

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I need a Helloween shirt. :hmm:

DethMaiden
09-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I need a Helloween shirt. :hmm:

I know an ironic hipster douche who can hook you up.

(Will he get it? :eyes: )

JRA
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Tell him to give it to me instead.:D

SomewhereInTime72
09-19-2007, 12:05 PM

I get it.

But I don't get shirts. :(

ChildrenofSodom
09-19-2007, 06:59 PM

HEY-O!

hot_turkey_ed
09-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Today, I bought RATT's Out Of The Cellar.

:rat:

zgodt
09-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Today, I bought RATT's Out Of The Cellar.

:rat:
Wow.

I never owned that album, or any Ratt album for that matter... but in 9th grade I did have the cover art for the Invasion of Your Privacy album hung on the wall of my bedroom, in the form of a mirror that I won at a carnival throwing darts at balloons for $1...

The Meat Purveyors do a fantastic bluegrass cover of "Round and Round."