PDA

View Full Version : Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon

Div
08-19-2007, 09:43 PM
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5093/icedearthframingarmagedwe8.jpg

So we (I) have been waiting for 3 years to see how Ripper does with IE, since the Glorious Burden didn't really fit in with the typical Iced Earth style. But then again what IS the Iced Earth style? Jon seems to change it with every new album, which I think, is why he never became as popular as he had hoped. It's hard to develop a fanbase when you keep changing your sound every other year.

So this time Jon decided to go back and milk the general idea from his "Something Wicked Trilogy". Basically he stretched the hell out of that story and I seriously can't understand how he expects to get another full album from it. Especially sense this album is plenty long as it is, 19 tracks over an hour and ten minutes. If I didn't see a track listing I wouldn't be able to tell one song from another, it's basically as bad as Dragonforce is in that respect. Just the schaffer mega-riff nonstop with some cheesy Ripper chorus that keeps repeating. If you've heard the single you've heard the album.

I'm beginning to wonder if Jon actually wrote the material on his first three records or if he just stole it and took credit, cause it doesn't make any sense at all how the man who wrote those great thrash albums could turn out crap like this. How do you go from "as i walk through the blackened forest thoughts of hate and anger fill my soul" to "please god give me the strength to leave". My guess is cause at the beginning of his career he was broke, working a shit job, getting screwed over by record labels, and generally pissed off. Now he's married with kids, owns his own hobby shop, and has a nice furnished house. Someone kick this man in the nuts a few times so he can write some good music again!

Here's the songs that I thought were good enough to deserve a repeat listen:

- 10,000 strong (yeah, the other stuff makes this actually sound good)
- Framing Armageddon
-
-
- ?

thats it, unfortunatley. and I couldn't believe that he made The Clouding 10 fucking minutes long! What the hell is going on here? You'll understand once you hear that song.

It comes out next month on the 11th, and I don't think anyone here should bother buying this half assed album. Now excuse me while I go listen to Burnt Offerings and try to go into denial about this.

3 out of 10 stars, and coming from me that means its pretty fucking bad. i might have gone easier if this was his first album, but he wrote Stormrider so no excuses.

comments?

Human_Metal
08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
This sound very unbelieveable. I've heard 10,000 strong, A Charge to Keep and Setian Massacre. And all of these sounds great...

Well, let's see 10 September.

Spiral_Slave
08-20-2007, 03:32 AM
I agree with pretty much everything Div said.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I've heard parts of the new disc and so far I'm as disappointed as you guys.

then again, The Glorious Burden only had a handful of good songs on it as well.

DethMaiden
08-20-2007, 08:31 AM
The only good thing about this is the album cover. I'd like to see them live, but I'd have to seriously consider whether I go or not based on how many of these shitty songs are in the setlist.

Axis_Of_Metal
08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Damn I was looking foward to this album

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
listen to clips of the new album (http://www.spv.de/scripts/artistlight_e.asp?Eingabe=iced%20earth)

Div
08-20-2007, 11:14 AM
The only good thing about this is the album cover. I'd like to see them live, but I'd have to seriously consider whether I go or not based on how many of these shitty songs are in the setlist.

Same with me. I heard they're not going to tour until the second album is released, and I wouldn't put it past Jon to just make this one of those "entire album setlists".

Ugh, this is so dissapointing. :bouville:

hot_turkey_ed
08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
For me, Iced Earth peaked specifically with Declaration Day. I'm not too concerned about the new album. I'll still snag it. There's usually something on all Iced Earth album worth having...

zgodt
08-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I so wanted that album title to read Farming Armageddon. :(

powerslave_85
08-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I probably won't even bother downloading this.

DethMaiden
08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I probably won't even bother downloading this.

YouTube has the whole thing with the album cover for video. Give a few songs a listen and then determine that you don't even want to finish the album.

ChildrenofSodom
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
It isnt that bad. You guys are just picky/angry that Barlow isnt singing.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-26-2007, 09:06 PM

I want to hear the whole thing without Schaffer talking over it. I like barlow better, but I also like what Ripper brings to the table.

ChildrenofSodom
08-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I want to hear the whole thing without Schaffer talking over it. I like barlow better, but I also like what Ripper brings to the table.

exactly. It isnt OMG amazing, but its not terrible.

DethMaiden
08-27-2007, 04:15 AM

No, because I really like The Glorious Burden. Framing Armageddon is bad because the songs all sound the same, some are just longer than others.

zgodt
08-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Jesus, I just listened to two tracks on youtube and it gave me a headache.

Div
08-27-2007, 05:59 PM
No, because I really like The Glorious Burden. Framing Armageddon is bad because the songs all sound the same, some are just longer than others.

Yeah. This has nothing to do with Barlow vs Owens, and everything to do with an album that is just boring no matter how you look at it.

If anyone wants a positive review you can go to the IE myspace group and see a bunch of tools say how its "the greatest album ever", you can also see that they consider Crazy Train one of the greatest songs of all time and how they consider Barlow a better singer than Bruce. :hecho:

Trust me on this one guys, I like much of the older iced earth stuff, but this album is just a complete waste of time.

Maiden33
09-06-2007, 07:35 AM
well, my friend and I always joke:

"4 outta 10 ain't bad for Jon Schaffer"

Maiden33
09-06-2007, 07:36 AM
the songs all sound the same, some are just longer than others.

This is different from any other Iced Earth album?

Div
09-06-2007, 09:01 AM
This is different from any other Iced Earth album?

Yep.

Some previous albums had a few repetetive sounding tracks but nothing even close to this. It's basically just one riff over and over again for an hour.

Maiden33
09-06-2007, 01:54 PM
It's basically just one riff over and over again for an hour.

Again, nothing really new here. The only thing that allows you to keep track of where you are on any IE album is the ballads vs. heavier songs, cause each type is a clone of all the other songs of that type

Angelripper
09-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Screw you guys, it's actually pretty good.

I always get the feeling people bash Iced Earth because it's 'cool' to...

hot_turkey_ed
09-12-2007, 02:21 PM

I'll find out later today...

Div
09-12-2007, 02:58 PM

Dude I'm like the biggest Iced Earth tool here (or used to be) and I'm just being honest when I say the album is shit. He made awesome stuff in the past, and by holding him to the standard HE set for his band this doesn't even come close to what he's capable of.

Maiden33
09-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm short on time, I've got a lot to say on this subject, but for now, after approximately 3 listens, I like the album.

hot_turkey_ed
09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I picked it up this afternoon. One listen under the belt on the commtue home. eah, this is a very different Iced Earth album. I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet.

Maiden33
09-13-2007, 07:39 AM
I expect to be bashed to hell for this, but I'm not going to hide my opinion.

After about 4 listens now, I really like this album. It's not the greatest thing I've heard lately, I wasn't expecting anything incredible, it is Jon Schaffer at the reigns after all. But a few things struck me about this album that contribute to my liking of it:

-Schaffer seems to have finally started to lay off of the pointless E-F chugga chugga nonsense that burdened their previous stuff. These songs actually feature a variety of chord progressions and riff ideas, which is more than I expected to begin with.

-I've always felt that Iced Earth were at their best when they played more traditional metal stuff (ie The Hunter, Gettysburg, Declaration Day) rather than doing bad thrash or ballads. The contrast was far to drastic and made the albums of the past have little flow. This album focuses much more on the aspects of their sound that I really do enjoy, though I admit as a whole the lack of variety does make a lot of songs lack a strong identity.

-It became increasingly noticeable to me with more listening that this album was definately written when Bobby Jarzombek was still involved on drums, because the drumming bears a lot of his style of playing, a very good thing IMO, which is aided by the fact that I think the drum sound and production on this album is top notch.

on the downside:
-I was expecting a bit more out of the "Something Wicked Pt 1 and 2" when it comes to their relationships to the parts of the original trilogy. It's obvious there was a similarity but I was hoping for a little bit more.

-Tim Owens can't seem to control himself. I'm not the biggest fan of his voice to begin with but I admit I really don't mind his vocals provided he sticks to actually singing normally (ie Ten Thousand Strong chorus) rather than whining or screaming. I'm not a huge Barlow fanboy, I just don't really care for a lot of what Owens does.

-The interludes are too frequent and a little lengthy. A number of them shouldn't be there to begin with and some of them should've just been tracked at the end of other tracks. This album could've been better off as like 14 tracks and 60 minutes rather than 19 and 70.

But all in all, I really do like the album. With each listen it continues to grow on me. I know about 1 in 15 people are going to agree with me, but I don't really care.

Axis_Of_Metal
09-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I agree with Maiden33

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Just checking it out now. I'll have an opinion after a couple of listens.

ravenheart
09-16-2007, 04:31 PM
My feelings on the matter:
http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/09/16/iced-earth-framing-armageddon-something-wicked-part-1/

I really don't think it's that different to normal at all. There are several places where if they broke into something off The Glorious Burden it really wouldn't sound wrong.

It's all about "The Clouding" for me.

ChildrenofSodom
09-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Bought this today. Wow. I really dont like it at all. My previous like for it was based on a few songs I heard on youtube. Man oh man. The guitars are repetive, the snare drum is annoying, Ripper Owens is a great singer, but he just isnt being put to his fullest potential. The lyrics are uninspired, repetive (IE: prophecy), and the 1000 voices singing over each other on EVERY SINGLE chorus are very annoying.

High points--10,000 Strong, The Clouding..I havent got past The Clouding, but I dont expect any big surprises.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-23-2007, 08:11 PM
I've been disappointed with it so far, too. I've only listened to it all the way through once.

Div
09-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Bought this today. Wow. I really dont like it at all. My previous like for it was based on a few songs I heard on youtube. Man oh man. The guitars are repetive, the snare drum is annoying, Ripper Owens is a great singer, but he just isnt being put to his fullest potential. The lyrics are uninspired, repetive (IE: prophecy), and the 1000 voices singing over each other on EVERY SINGLE chorus are very annoying.

High points--10,000 Strong, The Clouding..I havent got past The Clouding, but I dont expect any big surprises.

I deleted this album after the first listen, and I never delete ANY music from my computer, this was just such a dissapointment it pissed me off so much :mad:

Axis_Of_Metal
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I deleted this album after the first listen, and I never delete ANY music from my computer, this was just such a dissapointment it pissed me off so much :mad:

LMAO the odds of an album making somebody that angry does not sound possible, just sounds dumb.

ravenheart
09-25-2007, 01:45 AM
LMAO the odds of an album making somebody that angry does not sound possible, just sounds dumb.

You can do that when you're too cheap to buy it ;)

Div
09-25-2007, 06:36 PM
You can do that when you're too cheap to buy it ;)

Or in the case of this album, too smart to buy it :D

ADD
09-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Fuckin thread about this shitty ass album by this shitty ass band will not go away :mad:

http://hosted.thegroupofthey.com/failed,_please_die.jpg

:headoff:

powerslave_85
09-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Seriously. If this makes anyone's year-end top 10 list, I quit metal. Same goes for United Abominations.

ADD
09-25-2007, 07:15 PM
I quit metal.

:lol:

powerslave_85
09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
:D

Really though, there are SO many good metal albums this year that there's no excuse at all to listen to this garbage.

DethMaiden
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Seriously. If this makes anyone's year-end top 10 list, I quit metal. Same goes for United Abominations.

No one to credit with that statement? :tp: ;)

es156
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM

You know that statement just secured United Abominations a spot in my top 10.

:naughty:

DethMaiden
09-25-2007, 07:41 PM

That's the name of the new Harvest Moon game, innit?

ADD
09-25-2007, 07:43 PM
:D

Really though, there are SO many good metal albums this year that there's no excuse at all to listen to this garbage.
Correct.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-25-2007, 07:59 PM
is it a disappointment? yes.

is it "garbage"? I don't think I'd go that far.

theclansman1114
09-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Ripper Owens is a great singer

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with you. Ripper is pathetic.

Maiden33
09-26-2007, 07:27 AM

You know, ever since I read this statement weeks ago, every time I've seen the album title, I've thought about it.

es156
09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't know what is with you guys. Keith Bergman at Blabbermouth gave it a 9/10.

Blabbermouth Review (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=1237)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-26-2007, 07:23 PM
I was listening to it again today. it's not so terrible.

there's a ringing endorsement. ;):D

Axis_Of_Metal
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Jesus Christ guys get a grip it's just an album

theclansman1114
09-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't know what is with you guys. Keith Bergman at Blabbermouth gave it a 9/10.

Blabbermouth Review (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=1237)

Oh god. 9 outta 10? No, thats not right.

This album is DEFINITELY not as bad as everyone here is making it out to be.

But, that said, it is definitely not worth a 9 outta 10. I'd give it a 6.5, it's a solid album, but it's not going to blow you away.

Maiden33
09-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Oh god. 9 outta 10? No, thats not right.

This album is DEFINITELY not as bad as everyone here is making it out to be.

But, that said, it is definitely not worth a 9 outta 10. I'd give it a 6.5, it's a solid album, but it's not going to blow you away.

I'd give it a 7.5 or a 7. It's not top 10 material by a long shot but if I made a top 20 it might make it.

Human_Metal
09-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I have now listen to the album maybe 7-8 times and i do really like it. Can't really understand that so many says it's complete garbage. IMO there's a lot of strongs songs and Tim Owens does for sure his best vocal performence ever.
But ofcourse it's not near the greatness of Night of the Stormrider.

If i had to rate it i would give it a 7,5 or maybe 8.

Maiden33
09-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I have now listen to the album maybe 7-8 times and i do really like it. Can't really understand that so many says it's complete garbage. IMO there's a lot of strongs songs and Tim Owens does for sure his best vocal performence ever.
But ofcourse it's not near the greatness of Night of the Stormrider.

If i had to rate it i would give it a 7,5 or maybe 8.

Yeah, not only is it not that bad, the thing that really bugs me is that it's NOT any worse than the average Iced Earth album. I understand if people never liked them in the first place but to like or love earlier work and hate this is just stupid as the margin of difference is not very big.

Div
09-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Maybe because this sounds NOTHING like thier earlier stuff?

ChildrenofSodom
09-27-2007, 12:06 PM

So quit comparing it to old stuff. Take a black marker, cross Iced Earth off the cover, and write a different name. I felt this way on Glorious Burden, but not necessarily this album, that if you treat this album as a new band (because it basically is when a band gets a completely contrasting singer), and not Iced Earth, you may find that the material isnt as bad as you play it to be.

ChildrenofSodom
09-27-2007, 12:06 PM

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with you. Ripper is pathetic.

Compared to Barlow, he sucks as an Iced Earth singer.....Compared to Rob Halford, he sucks as a Judas Priest singer. Even in Beyond Fear, he sucks. But some of his work on Glorious Burden (especially the Gettysburg trilogy) and on this new album (The Clouding comes to mind) is pretty damn good.

DethMaiden
09-27-2007, 01:25 PM
So quit comparing it to old stuff. Take a black marker, cross Iced Earth off the cover, and write a different name. I felt this way on Glorious Burden, but not necessarily this album, that if you treat this album as a new band (because it basically is when a band gets a completely contrasting singer), and not Iced Earth, you may find that the material isnt as bad as you play it to be.

Au contrere. It would suck no matter who it was.

ChildrenofSodom
09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Au contrere. It would suck no matter who it was.

I know this record sucks. I am talking mainly about GB.

ADD
09-27-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/omgonos7tw.gif

DethMaiden
09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
I know this record sucks. I am talking mainly about GB.

I can definitely tell it's Iced Earth through the riffing and such. But I get your gist.

Maiden33
09-28-2007, 06:46 AM

God dammit, my point is that YES it does. Anyone who claims that this sounds "NOTHING" like their previous work is either deaf or retarded. I'm not going to claim it's exactly the same because there are subtle differences, but for the most part it's really the same thing as any other Iced Earth album. You've got your fast thrashier numbers with the synchopated E-F riffing and the traditional ballads, and the overly long songs that are trying to be epic. The consistancy of good songs to filler is about the same as any other album too. It really annoys me when people do this, how they try to back up their unfounded opinion by claiming it sounds "nothing alike" when in fact it really does. (People who liked BNW or DOD but disliked A Matter of Life and Death come to mind)

JRA
09-28-2007, 07:35 AM
(People who liked BNW or DOD but disliked A Matter of Life and Death come to mind)

Not to change the subject, but the reason I don't like AMOLAD yet like BNW, is becuase it sounds EXACTLY like BNW. That soft intro, song, outro epic type of song was cool the first 10 times. But it got very old after a while. So when I discovered that AMOLAD was more of the same as BNW, I just assumed Maiden gave up and got lazy. It's so contrived that they need soft intros and outros for nearly EVERY FUCKING SONG!

Maiden33
09-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Not to change the subject, but the reason I don't like AMOLAD yet like BNW, is becuase it sounds EXACTLY like BNW. That soft intro, song, outro epic type of song was cool the first 10 times. But it got very old after a while. So when I discovered that AMOLAD was more of the same as BNW, I just assumed Maiden gave up and got lazy. It's so contrived that they need soft intros and outros for nearly EVERY FUCKING SONG!

I can see your point, the problem is that this new IE isn't drawing criticism for being exactly the same (if people are expecting anything creative out of Schaffer, they should've given up a long time ago)... it's drawing unnecessary criticism from people bitching that it sucks for other reasons when in fact it really sounds quite similar to a standard IE album.

Fe Maiden
09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/omgonos7tw.gif:lol:

Human_Metal
09-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah, not only is it not that bad, the thing that really bugs me is that it's NOT any worse than the average Iced Earth album. I understand if people never liked them in the first place but to like or love earlier work and hate this is just stupid as the margin of difference is not very big.

I agree 100%.

Div
09-28-2007, 11:27 AM
God dammit, my point is that YES it does. Anyone who claims that this sounds "NOTHING" like their previous work is either deaf or retarded. I'm not going to claim it's exactly the same because there are subtle differences, but for the most part it's really the same thing as any other Iced Earth album. You've got your fast thrashier numbers with the synchopated E-F riffing and the traditional ballads, and the overly long songs that are trying to be epic. The consistancy of good songs to filler is about the same as any other album too. It really annoys me when people do this, how they try to back up their unfounded opinion by claiming it sounds "nothing alike" when in fact it really does. (People who liked BNW or DOD but disliked A Matter of Life and Death come to mind)

man... you are wrong on that one.

the guitar work on this album is taken right from glorious burden, which also sounds NOTHING like their previous work. just because it has the "chugga chugga" sound doesnt make it the same as the old stuff.

*plays travel in stygian*
*plays diary*
*plays wolf*
*plays new shit*

yea i can really see how they sound exactly the same :tp:

es156
09-28-2007, 03:58 PM

You worry too much about the structure and not enough about the songs.

Now stop trying to hijack this thread and let these guys continue with the Iced Earth bashing.

;)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-28-2007, 04:54 PM
*plays wolf*

:horns:

best Iced Earth song ever.

Maiden33
10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
:horns:

best Iced Earth song ever.

It's got nothing on The Gettysburg trilogy, A Question of Heaven, The Hunter, or Damien.

SomewhereInTime72
10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
It's got nothing on The Gettysburg trilogy, A Question of Heaven, The Hunter, or Damien.

Agreed! :drool:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-01-2007, 04:23 PM

the Gettysburg trilogy bores me to tears. the Something Wicked trilogy is way better, imo.

what's funny is I think Horror Show is pretty bad except for Wolf.

Div
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Phantom Opera Ghost was done well.

Maiden33
10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
the Gettysburg trilogy bores me to tears. the Something Wicked trilogy is way better, imo.

what's funny is I think Horror Show is pretty bad except for Wolf.

I think Horror Show has like 4 or 5 good tracks on it and the rest is terribly mediocre.

floydhunter9
10-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't think it's as good as Burnt Offerings, but Ripper is a fucking awesome screamer. The thing at the end of Execution = :eek:

Fe Maiden
11-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Is this album really that bad as you guys make it out to be? I heard 10,000 Strong and thought is was pretty cool!

ravenheart
11-19-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't think it's as good as Burnt Offerings, but Ripper is a fucking awesome screamer. The thing at the end of Execution = :eek:

You should see him do it live ;)

ravenheart
11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Is this album really that bad as you guys make it out to be? I heard 10,000 Strong and thought is was pretty cool!

It's not bad, it's just boring.

ravenheart
11-19-2007, 08:41 AM

How can it be cool to bash a band no one's ever heard of? ;)

I don't bash the album because I want to bash IE. I love IE. And I love Ripper, so Barlow's absence has nothing to do with it either. I bash the album because it's boring and repetitive, which other IE stuff isn't. It's got four good songs, tops.

Random
11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Framing Armageddon is the best album released in years.
This is Heavy Metal as it should be.
It's not repetitive. The song's are all very different from each other, but there are similarities becasue that defines the bands STYLE.
Every single band has a style that's relevant in every single song.
Please tell me how 10,000 Thousand Strong, A Charge to Keep, The Clouding, Framing Armageddon, When Stars Collide or Something Wicked part 1 sound ANYTHING like each other enough to be "repetitive".
This album has everything you expect from the band.

As for the whole "it sounds nothing like their earlier stuff": BOO-FUCKIN'-HOO. Grow the fuck up.
"St Anger sounds nothing like MOP - that means it's shit"

P.S. Jon Shaffer is a very creative song writer

Div
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Framing Armageddon is the best album released in years.
This is Heavy Metal as it should be.
It's not repetitive. The song's are all very different from each other, but there are similarities becasue that defines the bands STYLE.
Every single band has a style that's relevant in every single song.
Please tell me how 10,000 Thousand Strong, A Charge to Keep, The Clouding, Framing Armageddon, When Stars Collide or Something Wicked part 1 sound ANYTHING like each other enough to be "repetitive".
This album has everything you expect from the band.

As for the whole "it sounds nothing like their earlier stuff": BOO-FUCKIN'-HOO. Grow the fuck up.
"St Anger sounds nothing like MOP - that means it's shit"

P.S. Jon Shaffer is a very creative song writer

:party: i admit, you had me going for a second there. well done.

ChildrenofSodom
11-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Haha. This thread is still alive?