PDA

View Full Version : The end of Slayer?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.antimusic.com/news/07/aug/07-07.shtml
(antiMusic) Tom Araya has told Worcester magazine that the next Slayer album may be their last. In an interview discussing the Slayer/Marilyn Manson coheadlining tour, the metal legend also discussed what the future may hold for Slayer and Araya feels that the end may be near.

"Well, there have been remarks made about seeing an old man headbang. And I have to agree," Araya said in the interview. "I think the Stones can do that, probably go out and do their stuff in their 80s, but it just wouldn't look right [for us], you know what I mean?

"It's actually pretty strenuous. That's why I don't see it going any further than a certain point in time. We have one more record to do, which is our deal with [Rick] Rubin, and we'll have to sit down and discuss the future. But I can't really see myself doing this at a later age."

read the whole interview here (http://www.worcestermagazine.com/content/view/1746)

actually it may be time for Slayer to call it quits. After Christ Illusion it's obvious that they've run out of ideas.

I can see the other guys continuing on in some form (maybe as Slayer or maybe not) without Tom. I always figured he'd be the one to call it quits.

JRA
08-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I distinctly remember reading an interview with Tom that he actually wanted to do a solo record in the near future. He said there were alot of ideas he had that weren't appropriate for Slayer or something like that.

SomewhereInTime72
08-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Kick out Kerry. :fist:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2007, 11:29 AM
There is no Slayer without Kerry.

SomewhereInTime72
08-12-2007, 11:31 AM
There is no Slayer without Kerry.

Well, If theyre gonna call it quits they may as well kick out kerry first. :eyes:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, If theyre gonna call it quits they may as well kick out kerry first. :eyes:

if they were calling it quits there'd be no reason to kick anyone out. :eyes:

JRA
08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
There is no Slayer without Jeff.

Fixed.

Seriously, though. The guy wrote Angel of Death, Postmortem & Raining Blood by himself. If that doesn't say "MVP," I'd like to know what does.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Fixed.

Seriously, though. The guy wrote Angel of Death, Postmortem & Raining Blood by himself. If that doesn't say "MVP," I'd like to know what does.

no arguments there but when I think of the "Slayer sound", King's guitar solos are one of the things I think of first.

DethMaiden
08-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Dave Lombardo is Slayer to me. None of the albums without him are any good. (Christ Illusion sucks too)

That said, DAMMIT I MUST SEE THEM BEFORE THEY QUIT!

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Dave Lombardo is Slayer to me. None of the albums without him are any good. (Christ Illusion sucks too)

That said, DAMMIT I MUST SEE THEM BEFORE THEY QUIT!

never seen Slayer? you'll get plenty of chances. they've rolled through town at least once a year for the last 8 years.

JRA
08-12-2007, 12:47 PM
never seen Slayer? you'll get plenty of chances. they've rolled through town at least once a year for the last 8 years.

Yea, what you'll get as a set is a competely different story.

zgodt
08-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Yea, what you'll get as a set is a competely different story.
Safe to say you'll get at least half classics in any Slayer set.

ADD
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
When I think of Slayer I think "Damn, they could have been one of the best ever if they made 5 more albums like Show No Mercy and languished in relative obscurity as a thrash metal/NWBOHM-worship act for the duration of their career" :D Seriously, the fast thrash stuff was good, but Show No Mercy is one of the defining metal albums I think, in terms of sheer kickassness. Besides, Dark Angel did 'Reign In Blood' better anyways.

JRA
08-12-2007, 02:07 PM
When I think of Slayer I think "Damn, they could have been one of the best ever if they made 5 more albums like Show No Mercy and languished in relative obscurity as a thrash metal/NWBOHM-worship act for the duration of their career" :D Seriously, the fast thrash stuff was good, but Show No Mercy is one of the defining metal albums I think, in terms of sheer kickassness. Besides, Dark Angel did 'Reign In Blood' better anyways.

Come on ADD, even the progger in you knows that the correct answer is 5 more albums like Hell Awaits. Sure Show No Mercy was fun, but evolution is even more fun.

I say wait til they got the Rubin contract for Hell Awaits, tack on Angel, Post and Raining, then you would have had the real Reign In Blood.

I also agree with the Dark Angel comment. Burning Of Sodom was basically what "Necrophobic", except extended into a full 3 minute piece.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2007, 05:28 PM
I must be one of the only Slayer fans that isn't that big on Show No Mercy.

give me Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits and South of Heaven (throw in Temptation and War Ensemble too) over anything else Slayer has recorded.

JRA
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I must be one of the only Slayer fans that isn't that big on Show No Mercy.

give me Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits and South of Heaven (throw in Temptation and War Ensemble too) over anything else Slayer has recorded.

Well I always thought the "Show No Mercy" lovers were the minority, though I do remember a friend of mine telling me just as I was getting into them that "Most of the diehards think that everything from Show No Mercy through Reign in Blood is the good stuff."

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2007, 05:35 PM
SNM was a little too raw for my tastes. It even took a while for me to get into Hell Awaits (which is one of my faves now). But I started with Reign In Blood back in 86' so the production on the other Slayer stuff was a step backwards.

overkiller
08-12-2007, 05:42 PM
I got in my one obligatory Slayer concert (and it was great fun, but I don't think I need to go to another), so I wouldn't be upset if they called it quits now.

powerslave_85
08-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, it's about time for them to hang it up, but I hope I get to see them before they do.

Spiral_Slave
08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I have to say I wouldn't care too much if they called it quits. Seen 'em a couple times, so like Overkiller said it'd be no biggie if they called it a day.

ravenheart
08-13-2007, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't shed a tear. Another rehash album like Christ Illusion isn't going to change the metal World.

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Shoulda taken a page out of Dissections book and called it quits before they ruined their career.

jaysadler2
08-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Maybe tom should do a solo project or whatever, but slayer shouldnt definatley call it a day.

I suppose slayer are getting a bit boring, you know same old set, another christ illusion on the way.

But they should tour again in say 5 years so that metal fans will miss them.

I was a really big fan after god hates us all album, i think that's one of there best!!!!

But the metal world without slayer would be sad :bouville:

ravenheart
08-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I was a really big fan after god hates us all album, i think that's one of there best!!!!

Agreed.

overkiller
08-14-2007, 04:33 AM
:hecho:

ADD
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
CRIONICS.