PDA

View Full Version : Killswitch Engage " Holy Diver " video posted online

Spiral_Slave
08-01-2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=77945

Oh dear god. :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
08-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I saw it. Weird and interesting video.

One of the best KsE songs, but an absolute disgrace to God/Dio.

zgodt
08-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I understand that 90% of this board:

(1) reveres RJD as a deity, and
(2) despises KSE as mallcore excrement.

However, that's a damn good cover (apart from the handling of the "between the velvet lies" part), and a rather amusing video.

DethMaiden
08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
The pros: That dude's beard, the vocal performance
The cons: Unnecessary artficial harmonics, the video itself

es156
08-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I understand that 90% of this board:

(1) reveres RJD as a deity

Nah, he's too short to be a deity. But he is a decent singer.

;)

JRA
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM

;)

I was wondering when you'd once again exercise your amazing ability to shit on someone.

jeremysaal
08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't understand why any band would try to record their own version of Holy Diver. This is one of the few songs that needs absolutely nothing changed. You would think that they would have the common sense to recognize the fact that Dio's original could not be touched.

The song is not as crisp as Dio's, the vocals are an insult, and the pinch harmonics add more useless crap to an awesome song (like Zakk Wylde).

I'm a huge KSE fan, and even caught their last tour. However, this just sucks!

zgodt
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM

;)

Fair enough. You're in the 10%. ;)

zgodt
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't understand why any band would try to record their own version of Holy Diver. This is one of the few songs that needs absolutely nothing changed. You would think that would have the common sense to recognize the fact that Dio's original could not be touched.

Really?

powerslave_85
08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I thought it was awesome, and I don't even like KSE.

zgodt
08-01-2007, 09:39 PM
...and I don't even like KSE.

You'll learn. ;)

powerslave_85
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
You'll learn. ;)
Unlikely. I've tried to get into them, I just can't. Unearth is pretty much the only metalcore band I listen to anyways.

ChildrenofSodom
08-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Unearth is pretty much the only metalcore band I listen to anyways.

It does my heart good to know someone else here likes them. :D

EvilCheeseWedge
08-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I liked it.

jeremysaal
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Really?

Really man!

Dio rules! In my opinion, you don't recreate songs that are sung by Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, or Ronnie James Dio.

:flame:

JRA
08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Really man!

Dio rules! In my opinion, you don't recreate songs that are sung by Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, or Ronnie James Dio.

I kinda like Death's version of Painkiller (And Chuck even nails all the high notes!)

Angelripper
08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Holy crap, this isn't bad at all.

Dio's version needs the speeded up part. Really adds spice to the song.

jeremysaal
08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I kinda like Death's version of Painkiller (And Chuck even nails all the high notes!)

I'll have to listen to that one.

I was a huge Death fan back in high school and haven't listened to them in years. Too bad about Chuck though. I wish that I had caught one of their live shows.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Holy crap, this isn't bad at all.

Dio's version needs the speeded up part. Really adds spice to the song.
Agreed. It's kind of sad to compare this to "Holy Diver" from Holy Diver Live - I mean anymore Dio just drags the song on. It's nice to hear it with energy.

ADD
08-02-2007, 01:24 PM
:metal:

jaysadler2
08-03-2007, 02:43 PM
it sounds good in the video, but when i saw them at download they played it and it sounded crap.

I kinda like it, the addition of harmonics etc makes it sound good but video itself is a poor attempt of humor

not a lot of point of releasing a video and promoting it, they should just stick toit be a live song, kinda like what artreyu done with bon jovis "you give love a bad name"

zgodt
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Really man!

Hmmm. Even if I accepted your premise that those three singers are untouchable... I think there are a lot of reasons to do a cover other than trying to outsing the original singer.

I bet at least 75% of KSE's fanbase had never even heard that song before they covered it.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Fates Warning does an awesome cover of Sign of the Southern Cross.

es156
08-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Fates Warning does an awesome cover of Sign of the Southern Cross.

Where did you hear that? That sounds really cool.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Where did you hear that? That sounds really cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Dio-Tribute-Ronnie-James/dp/B000046Q1F

DreamEvil001
08-07-2007, 09:11 AM

that CD has some really hit and miss stuff. Hammerfall's man on the silver mountain was good, malmsteen doing babylon was nice, SOTSC was good as you said, jag panzer doing Children of the sea rocked, Blind guardian's version of don't talk to strangers was better than the original, which is a kick ass song to begin with, but other than those the rest of the songs were bad to the point of hurting the originals. and maybe I have bonus tracks, because the link you posted is missing holy mother's version of holy diver, a second band's rendition of kill the king, among others.

MetalDrummer888
08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
its hard to imagine that killswitch could possibly make their holy diver video cheesier than the original.

but they did :hecho:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
that CD has some really hit and miss stuff. Hammerfall's man on the silver mountain was good, malmsteen doing babylon was nice, SOTSC was good as you said, jag panzer doing Children of the sea rocked, Blind guardian's version of don't talk to strangers was better than the original, which is a kick ass song to begin with, but other than those the rest of the songs were bad to the point of hurting the originals. and maybe I have bonus tracks, because the link you posted is missing holy mother's version of holy diver, a second band's rendition of kill the king, among others.

I own the 2 disc version as well. I agree it's hit or miss but I can't agree on the Blind Guardian cover. then again I can't stand Hansi Kursch's vocals.

MetalDrummer888
08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
I can't stand Hansi Kursch's vocals.

:eek: :eek: :mad: :bouville: :hecho: :eyes:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
:eek: :eek: :mad: :bouville: :hecho: :eyes:

nails on a chalkboard to me. how many times can a person overdub their vocals? blech.

DethMaiden
08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
nails on a chalkboard to me. how many times can a person overdub their vocals? blech.

25, I believe. ;)

es156
08-07-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info!

jeremysaal
08-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmmm. Even if I accepted your premise that those three singers are untouchable... I think there are a lot of reasons to do a cover other than trying to outsing the original singer.

I bet at least 75% of KSE's fanbase had never even heard that song before they covered it.

Good point there.

Most of the audience at the last KSE show that I attended were in their early 20s.

I listened to their version again and it is growing on me.

SomewhereInTime72
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh my god, Lol!!

Rather than list my complaints and the few things I thought decent, I'll just say the one thing that irked me the most: The main riff, which in the original is memorable and instantly recognizable, is treated to be made incredibly neutral and forgettable metalcore riffage. :hmm:

ChildrenofSodom
08-09-2007, 05:38 AM
I sincerely hope this cover does not turn more Killswitch fans into Dio fans. :hecho: