PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Ingmar Bergman

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/story/_a/directing-legend-ingmar-bergman-dies/20070730075409990001

:snivel: :light:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/Seventh_Seal.jpg

overkiller
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Aye. RIP min bror.

I like how you're using a picture from my photobucket :lol:

overkiller
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
http://www.bergen-filmklubb.no/images/Bergman_2.jpg

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_189/ingmar.gif

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Aye. RIP min bror.

I like how you're using a picture from my photobucket :lol:

Haha, yeah. Your myspace was the only place I knew where there was a scene from that movie.

He will be missed. The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries are some of the best movies I've ever seen.

Div
07-30-2007, 08:00 PM
What a shame. The good directors die and we're left with hacks like Micahel Bay and the Wayans Brothers. I don't even wanna think where the film industry will be in 20 years. :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
What a shame. The good directors die....

There is hope my friend. Ron Jeremy still lives.

ChildrenofSodom
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
RIP Bergman

RIP Bill Walsh

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:00 PM
RIP Bergman

RIP Bill Walsh

That pisses me off. The death of one of the truly innovative artists in history was buried at the bottom of a list of headlines, but the death of a football coach was the first one, accompanied with a picture.

ChildrenofSodom
07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
That pisses me off. The death of one of the truly innovative artists in history was buried at the bottom of a list of headlines, but the death of a football coach was the first one, accompanied with a picture.

He is one of the best football coaches in history. Which do you think sells more, a movie director or a football coach?

The loss of both is equally bad.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
He is one of the best football coaches in history. Which do you think sells more, a movie director or a football coach?

Well, I know I can't change it. In this country, football > most things. But it's just disappointing.

Div
07-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Did you honestly expect them to not put a great american motivational hero and father figure who led his team to victory many times despite the odds and could leap tall buildings in a single bound at the top?

(sarcasm)

ChildrenofSodom
07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, I know I can't change it. In this country, football > most things. But it's just disappointing.

Not really. You dont like football, so its only natural that you would like to see more attention paid to a director. The general public knows more about football than some film-maker. That doesnt make the public any worse, it just means the newspapers were smart enough to cater to the biggest money maker. Thats how things work. If you like football, you have no problem with it. If you dont, then you are outraged. It doesnt matter.

Since I am a 49ers fan, and have never seen this guys movies, I brought up Walsh's death.

:football: :monstertrucks: :fireworks: :guns: :america:

Div
07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Brad is 100% right. If you're a football-anything you get priorities. In my highschool football jocks were allowed to cut the lunch line cause "great game last night" bs, and my football coach even ran over and killed a man with his truck and he got off without even a slap on the wrist.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Not really. You dont like football, so its only natural that you would like to see more attention paid to a director. The general public knows more about football than some film-maker. That doesnt make the public any worse, it just means the newspapers were smart enough to cater to the biggest money maker. Thats how things work. If you like football, you have no problem with it. If you dont, then you are outraged. It doesnt matter.

Since I am a 49ers fan, and have never seen this guys movies, I brought up Walsh's death.

:football: :monstertrucks: :fireworks: :guns: :america:

I don't mean to be closedminded or anything like that, but you can't honestly think ANY football coach or player's contribution to the world is more important than that of ANY good artist, regardless of their medium.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Brad is 100% right. If you're a football-anything you get priorities. In my highschool football jocks were allowed to cut the lunch line cause "great game last night" bs, and my football coach even ran over and killed a man with his truck and he got off without even a slap on the wrist.

Gah, I hate that shit. Like how all of our city's tax dollars go straight to the athletic department.

Div
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Gah, I hate that shit. Like how all of our city's tax dollars go straight to the athletic department.

Same here. The roads by my house are absolute shit, if you swerve to avoid one pothole you hit another one. So what does the town spend money on? They dig up an old indian artifact site and build a freaking football field.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Same here. The roads by my house are absolute shit, if you swerve to avoid one pothole you hit another one. So what does the town spend money on? They dig up an old indian artifact site and build a freaking football field.

:snivel: Shit like that almost makes you wish they were spending the money on the war.

Div
07-30-2007, 10:19 PM
:snivel: Shit like that almost makes you wish they were spending the money on the war.

:lol: maybe theyll build some football stadiums in iraq.

Oh, and get this, our football team got their uniforms steam cleaned before each game, yet they didnt even have paper towels in the bathrooms. I tell you, sussex county has the most ass-backwards people youll ever meet. stay clear of it should you ever venture out of the corn fields.

ChildrenofSodom
07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't mean to be closedminded or anything like that, but you can't honestly think ANY football coach or player's contribution to the world is more important than that of ANY good artist, regardless of their medium.

I am not saying I think one is better than the other. I am saying, more people are going to read the news online or buy a newspaper if a football coach is given preference over a director. You are too idealist to think they wouldnt.

On that note, I think you are being close-minded. This issue doesnt come down to football versus films. It comes down to people wanting more attention given to what they like. YOU dont like football. However, YOU would fuck ANY form of art if it wore a skirt. You think that what YOU like takes preference over anything anyone else likes. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT WITH HARRY POTTER. I dont like Harry Potter, I was pissed that the media wouldnt shut up about it. But I was told I was wrong. Why? Because the majority of people in the discussion didnt agree with me. NOW, because the majority of the people in the discussion, (well, 2 out of 3) are more inclined to enjoy art/film than football, THEY are correct in bitching about media coverage? The media covers Harry Potter over the Iraq War, because Harry Potter will get them more viewers/readers.

The media is always going to cover what sells the most. Quit bitching about it. I havent seen any Bergman films, but I am a 49ers fan. Am I someone uncivilized for that? No. Its pretty easy to say Bergman is more important than Walsh, when you have already established the biased stance of support FOR Bergman, against Walsh. Both are in completely different fields of society, work, and entertainment. Apples and Oranges. Both contributed greatly to their respective fields. Neither is better.

ChildrenofSodom
07-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Someone in the paper yesterday wrote a letter-to-the-editor and complained that the lights around the courthouse looked too out of place, and suggested the city buy new ones to make downtown look prettier. WHAT WHAT WHAT????

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:25 PM
I am not saying I think one is better than the other. I am saying, more people are going to read the news online or buy a newspaper if a football coach is given preference over a director. You are too idealist to think they wouldnt.

On that note, I think you are being close-minded. This issue doesnt come down to football versus films. It comes down to people wanting more attention given to what they like. YOU dont like football. However, YOU would fuck ANY form of art if it wore a skirt. You think that what YOU like takes preference over anything anyone else likes. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT WITH HARRY POTTER. I dont like Harry Potter, I was pissed that the media wouldnt shut up about it. But I was told I was wrong. Why? Because the majority of people in the discussion didnt agree with me. NOW, because the majority of the people in the discussion, (well, 2 out of 3) are more inclined to enjoy art/film than football, THEY are correct in bitching about media coverage? The media covers Harry Potter over the Iraq War, because Harry Potter will get them more viewers/readers.

The media is always going to cover what sells the most. Quit bitching about it. I havent seen any Bergman films, but I am a 49ers fan. Am I someone uncivilized for that? No. Its pretty easy to say Bergman is more important than Walsh, when you have already established the biased stance of support FOR Bergman, against Walsh. Both are in completely different fields of society, work, and entertainment. Apples and Oranges. Both contributed greatly to their respective fields. Neither is better.

It's a tragedy that Walsh died.

But this is a thread about Bergman.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:27 PM
But I mean seriously. How can you not be outraged that a thousand times more money and effort is put into athletics than drama/journalism/music/etc. with taxpayers' dollars? What the fuck has a football player ever done for a small town?

Div
07-30-2007, 10:29 PM
ever notice what kind of people make fun of the harry potter fans?

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6091/steelersfanskid3dc1.jpg

and 20 years later...

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1122/american20soccer20fanur0.jpg

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:41 PM
And I mean, I don't hate football. I played it for five years and still watch the Super Bowl every year. I just think it has zero real significance and it's kind of depressing that it's been elevated to something more than just entertainment. These guys are making more money in a year than people of most any other profession make in a lifetime.

ChildrenofSodom
07-31-2007, 12:01 AM
I am not a huge football fan either. I dont watch football. I make fun of my little brother for being obsessed with it. I only watch the Super Bowl every other year. But I still find it peculiar how people are inclined to put their favorite things on a pedestal, and shit all over the things other people like.

I do think it sucks that our town pays more attention to football than other things. But you are only demanding more attention to the arts, because that is what you enjoy. If you werent into the arts OR football, you wouldnt care either way.

ravenheart
07-31-2007, 01:47 AM

Internationally, the director without any problems at all.

ChildrenofSodom
07-31-2007, 03:03 AM
Internationally, the director without any problems at all.

But there is a difference between football and film. They reach completely different audiences. In my opinion, more people in America probably admire Bill Walsh for what he did for football, than have even HEARD of Ingmar Bergman. Its the sad truth.

I know this thread is about Bergman, but to spit in the face of a dead football coach (or any man for that matter) because he ISNT Bergman is sad. If I died today, no one would give a shit. I might get a paragraph in the local paper, but thats about it. To be bitching that one man's death was higher in the news than anothers makes me sick. A life is a life. You cant prove that this mans films had a bigger impact than a coach. Both gave something different to those that they affected, and neither deserves the degradation of being 'ranked' in value. This "my interests are superior to your" has got to stop. The same people that throw me the "greatness is subjective" line are the same ones that must declare their interests/tastes as the best/better than other people's.

Goddamn it.

overkiller
07-31-2007, 03:25 AM
What a shame. The good directors die and we're left with hacks like Micahel Bay and the Wayans Brothers. I don't even wanna think where the film industry will be in 20 years. :hecho:

Well, as much as it is a sad loss, as far as I know he hadn't directed anything for years and years.

Use news.bbc.co.uk then. He was on the front page and, surprise, nothing about Bill Walsh.

And this thread has gotten stupid. All of you who haven't, go out and see a Bergman film. Get Netflix or something if you have to.

DethMaiden
07-31-2007, 08:56 AM
All of you who haven't, go out and see a Bergman film. Get Netflix or something if you have to.

:fist:

And again. Yeah, Walsh died, that's sad and all. But this is a thread about Ingmar Bergman that became yet another pissy fit-throwing thread. Don't bother bringing something up that's just gonna end up like that.

zgodt
07-31-2007, 09:38 AM
If it was Spielberg or Lucas, of course, news of the director's death would have trumped news of Bill Walsh's death even in the American media. It's not about film vs. football, it's just that the average American doesn't know shit about film history.

Div
07-31-2007, 11:11 AM
If it was Spielberg or Lucas, of course, news of the director's death would have trumped news of Bill Walsh's death even in the American media. It's not about film vs. football, it's just that the average American doesn't know shit about film history.

You just made me realize I'm going to actually see that headline at some point in my life :(

ChildrenofSodom
07-31-2007, 02:50 PM
:fist:

And again. Yeah, Walsh died, that's sad and all. But this is a thread about Ingmar Bergman that became yet another pissy fit-throwing thread. Don't bother bringing something up that's just gonna end up like that.

I simply said "RIP Bill Walsh." You're the one who crapped all over him and started bitching. Dont fucking pull this shit, man. Two great men died on the same day, am I supposed to start a new thread just for that?

DethMaiden
07-31-2007, 06:33 PM
I simply said "RIP Bill Walsh." You're the one who crapped all over him and started bitching. Dont fucking pull this shit, man. Two great men died on the same day, am I supposed to start a new thread just for that?

I didn't crap on Bill Walsh. I'm sure he was a terrific coach. I just think the thread strayed from its purpose and now has become a mockery.

RIP Ingmar

</end>