PDA

View Full Version : ALEX LIFESON: "What's With All These Young Bands Who Play For An Hour And 10 Minutes"

es156
07-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Source: Brave Words (http://www.bravewords.com/news/70949)

The fleet-handed Rush guitarist, known for exercises in carpal-tunnel-syndrome fretwork, is currently ensconced on a tour that sees his band playing for more than three hours a show, which roughly translates into about 1,500 snaking riffs, twice as many sweaty drum fills and lots of sore limbs on a nightly basis.

"Yeah, what's up with that?" Lifeson chuckles at his band's marathon sets. "What's with all these young bands who play for an hour and 10 minutes, an hour and 20 minutes -- I don't think anybody plays for more than about an hour and 40 minutes. And they're all young and should be playing for three hours, not like us old farts."

:fist:

JRA
07-29-2007, 03:04 PM
More like what's with all these old bands who only play for an hour and ten minutes.

powerslave_85
07-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Who does Rush usually have as opening acts?

DethMaiden
07-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Who does Rush usually have as opening acts?

They haven't had an opener since the Counterparts tour, but they toured with Marillion and Primus several times in the 80s and 90s.

powerslave_85
07-29-2007, 03:21 PM
They haven't had an opener since the Counterparts tour, but they toured with Marillion and Primus several times in the 80s and 90s.
Exactly. It's easy to play for 3 hours when you're the only fucking band, Alex :tp: Most bands I've seen have had a minimum of 2 opening acts.

DethMaiden
07-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Exactly. It's easy to play for 3 hours when you're the only fucking band, Alex :tp: Most bands I've seen have had a minimum of 2 opening acts.

In a way I agree with both you and Lifeson on this. You're right, bands have restricted set times when they play with openers. However, the bands should try to do a few "Evening With" type tours every now and then, because nine times out of ten, the openers aren't that great and just delay you from seeing the band you came to see.

powerslave_85
07-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Well sure, I would love to see my favorite bands play for two hours plus, but it all depends on the band and their energy level, too. I mean, it's one thing for Rush to kind of stand there and play 7-minute songs, but I think I'd drop dead of exhuastion after a 2 1/2 hour Against Me! show or something like that.

ravenheart
07-29-2007, 04:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned, if Ronnie James Dio can put in 2+ hours a night, anyone can.

ravenheart
07-29-2007, 04:50 PM

um... duh! They have no support BECAUSE they play for that long. Not the other way around!

The band who have 2 or more opening acts do so because they don't play long enough themselves and need someone else to fill the time.

Three hour shows aren't for everyone, bands and fans alike, I appreciate that. But less than two hours for a headliner is poor. I don't care who you are. The only time I feel less than two-hours is acceptable is on one of those co-headlining tours where each band gets 70 or 80 minutes. That's fine.

Otherwise, if you're the headliner of a tour, you play two hours and select support accordingly. Maiden do it night after night, and no one puts more energy into a show than them.

jaysadler2
07-30-2007, 01:26 AM
You have to consider back catalogue too, some new bands could play for 2 hours, but that means playing every song off of there 2 albums!!!

I've seen a lot of "new bands" and sometimes i like it short and sweet.
Also with these "new bands" record labels put them with 2/3 support acts to promote them and of course make more money.

I think most older bands like Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Dio, Helloween do play around 2/2 and a half hours with a support which is acceptable. I think Slayer could do with playing a bit longer, i've seen them three times headlinging and that been 1 hour to 1 hour and a half.

I think it would be better to see bands like them with a 3 hour set and no support, but then they wont support any new bands to play. But i guess its better for a fan to spend 40 on a ticket to solely see the one band he/she likes, rather than some shitty support, or it could be on the other side where you see two awesome bands.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
um... duh! They have no support BECAUSE they play for that long. Not the other way around!

The band who have 2 or more opening acts do so because they don't play long enough themselves and need someone else to fill the time.

:lol:

That's just bullshit plain and simple.

Most bands aren't known enough and simply can't sell enough tickets to be the only band on the bill.

Otherwise, if you're the headliner of a tour, you play two hours and select support accordingly. Maiden do it night after night, and no one puts more energy into a show than them.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-30-2007, 08:16 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if Ronnie James Dio can put in 2+ hours a night, anyone can.

Heh, when I saw him with Dio in 2004, he played 90 minutes. With Heaven And Hell... 90 minutes. Hey, isn't that only 20 minutes longer then what Lifeson is talking about?

ravenheart
07-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Heh, when I saw him with Dio in 2004, he played 90 minutes. With Heaven And Hell... 90 minutes. Hey, isn't that only 20 minutes longer then what Lifeson is talking about?

I've never seen him play less than 2 hours with Dio (three times) or Heaven And Hell...

ravenheart
07-30-2007, 09:08 AM

That's just bullshit plain and simple.

Most bands aren't known enough and simply can't sell enough tickets to be the only band on the bill.

I didn't say only. I'm talking about the ones with "minimum 2 support bands". Bands who play 2 hours have maximum 2 support bands, usually one. The reason? Because they play two hours and to have loads of support would mean starting the show at 3pm.

Gov't Mule, for instance. They play 3 hours, so have no support. On the tours where they play 2 hours they have a support band. These facts are not unrelated.

Bands with 3 support bands (or even four I've seen sometimes, which is freakin' ridiculous) barely play for one hour. That's why they have all those support bands. If they stopped fucking around and played a proper 2 hour set then they simply wouldn't have time to have all those support bands.

Set length dictates support. Not vice versa. Co-headlining tours and package tours (which we never get here) are the only exceptions because set lengths have to be fair to all the bands.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I think most bands here would love to be able to tour across America and play as long as they want, but that's hardly economically viable. Tours are expensive to run, and you'll get a better draw and be more cost effective if costs are being split more ways.

Oh and here's the math: more tickets = more time. It's seriously that simple. But good luck being able to do that here. Acts like Queensryche and Alice Cooper only pack in about 1,000 when they headline solo here. And bands like Dio can't even get a crowd to play solo here.

Also, by the way, when I saw Dio in 2004. He brought two support bands with him (this is not including the local opener from the venue.) This was a headlining tour for him. His opening bands played for over and hour and a half, and he played 90 minutes, and somehow I don't think less of him because Rush manages to play more.

I mean seriously, when your songs are all six minutes long and you don't move, your three hour sets pretty much take care of themselves :)

I think Lifeson needs to lay off the New Years booze binging. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. I've walked away from plenty of 90 minute headlining shows, or less, and been completely satisfied.

powerslave_85
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I mean, it's one thing for Rush to kind of stand there and play 7-minute songs...

I mean seriously, when your songs are all six minutes long and you don't move, your three hour sets pretty much take care of themselves :)

;)

es156
07-30-2007, 06:46 PM

That is total crap and you know it. They may not jump around like a bunch of 6-year-olds, but they put forth the effort.

I do agree with the quality over quantity comment, but when you have as many albums as some bands do, they can play a quality 3-hour set. Maiden could play for 3 hours and not run out of good songs, but they choose not to.

JRA
07-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Except Rush doesn't exactly stand there. I mean they don't run around like Iron Maiden, but they also don't stand still like Tony Iommi.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Moving != effort, and I never said that. Nor did I say anything about Iommi. The guy literally doesn't move. And I've never seen him play much longer then 90 minutes, would I say otherwise? :lol:

Still, when you have hours and hours and hours worth of material, and you don't put much physical energy into your live peformance, I don't find it shocking that you would tend to play longer sets.

es156
07-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Moving != effort, and I never said that. Nor did I say anything about Iommi. The guy literally doesn't move. And I've never seen him play much longer then 90 minutes, would I say otherwise? :lol:

Still, when you have hours and hours and hours worth of material, and you don't put much physical energy into your live peformance, I don't find it shocking that you would tend to play longer sets.

Actually, both times I saw Heaven And Hell they played real close to 2 hours.

And why don't you ask Neil Peart how much physical energy he puts into his live performance?

powerslave_85
07-30-2007, 09:07 PM
And why don't you ask Neil Peart how much physical energy he puts into his live performance?Drummers don't count.

es156
07-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Drummers don't count.

Why not?

powerslave_85
07-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Why not?
Well, I meant in considering how much energy a band puts into a performance, since the drummer is always going to be putting more physical effort into a performance than the rest of the band.

JRA
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
And why don't you ask Neil Peart how much physical energy he puts into his performance?

I thought you agreed with me when I said "no more of my dirty stories on this board?":eyes:

es156
07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, I meant in considering how much energy a band puts into a performance, since the drummer is always going to be putting more physical effort into a performance than the rest of the band.

Have you ever seen a clip of the Rolling Stones live?

But seriously, a band can be somewhat limited to how long the drummer can last. Maybe not an issue for bands in their 20's but definitely an issue for bands in their 50's. The guys I used to jam with in college would want to play all night, but my arms would fall off by 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, ha ha. I am sure I would not last nearly that long now and I am probably 20 years younger than Neil.

es156
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I thought you agreed with me when I said "no more of my dirty stories on this board?":eyes:

Unrelated note: have you checked your email lately?

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I am sure I would not last nearly that long now and I am probably 20 years younger than Neil.

There's no way Neil is 100. :tp:

JRA
07-30-2007, 09:28 PM

Unrelated note: have you checked your email lately?

Yes, and I was surprised to see that sitting in there for 2 days, especially since I know I checked it yesterday. Whatever, I got it. Thanks again!

es156
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
There's no way Neil is 100. :tp:

Good one! That one actually made me laugh out loud. :lol:

Now go listen to Redemption again before I ban you.

:bouville:

es156
07-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes, and I was surprised to see that sitting in there for 2 days, especially since I know I checked it yesterday. Whatever, I got it. Thanks again!

Had to get Alice In Chains tickets! (It is going to suck when that promotion ends.)

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Good one! That one actually made me laugh out loud. :lol:

Now go listen to Redemption again before I ban you.

:bouville:

;) :D

As for the Redemption, my first impression is that it was kinda like Dream Theater, but not necessarily in a bad way.

JRA
07-30-2007, 09:33 PM
(It is going to suck when that promotion ends.)

Yes it is definitely going to suck. Ass.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Yes it is definitely going to suck. Ass.

What promotion :eyes:

JRA
07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
What promotion :eyes:

If you buy something on ticketmaster you get a free iTunes song.

es156
07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
;) :D

As for the Redemption, my first impression is that it was kinda like Dream Theater, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Ray Alder is a much better singer than James LaBrie. Once the newness wears off my opinions might change, but as of right now:

Redemption > Dream Theater

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Redemption > Dream Theater

If Images and Words didn't exist you might have something there.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM

Hahaha I saw what it said before.

powerslave_85
07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
That's like someone punching you in the face and then handing you a quarter.

es156
07-30-2007, 09:39 PM

You changed that before I could quote it! Sneaky.

I was trying to come up with a comment about forwarding the contents to you. ;)

JRA
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM

I don't buy the ticket for the sake of getting a free song! :lol:

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM

No, a dollar. :eyes:

Still, :lol:

es156
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM

True. Except in this case it is like someone punching me in the face and then me handing Josh a quarter.

:radar:

es156
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
If Images and Words didn't exist you might have something there.

The Origins Of Ruin > Images And Words

:eyes:

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:43 PM
The Origins Of Ruin > Images And Words

Utter blasphemy.

;)

JRA
07-30-2007, 09:44 PM
You changed that before I could quote it! Sneaky.

I was trying to come up with a comment about forwarding the contents to you. ;)

Yea... I couldn't decide whether or not to keep it, I decided not to. Plus there's the fact that I only bring those out when an ill-informed political discussion happens.

I actually had the perfect one lined up for the next political discussion, but there hasn't been one in ages. Well, I'd hate for Div to have worked so hard for nothing so...

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8022/pnorthstfunr0.jpg

es156
07-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Utter blasphemy.

;)

Maybe, maybe not. I have had Images And Words since 1989 and I just don't listen to it much anymore (and yes I saw the tour as well). The Origins Of Ruin is an outstanding CD and I can't stop listening to it. 20 years from now we might have this discussion again and I might feel differently. Perspective is everything.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I have had Images And Words since 1989 and I just don't listen to it much anymore (and yes I saw the tour as well). The Origins Of Ruin is an outstanding CD and I can't stop listening to it. 20 years from now we might have this discussion again and I might feel differently. Perspective is everything.

Holy shit, you got Images and Words three years before Dream Theater recorded it! Think you could hook me up with the next Opeth record? :eyes:

Past that though, I agree that it's all in perspective. So I guess there's no real reason to bicker over which is better. However, I don't listen to Mindcrime or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway very often anymore, but they're still easily my two favorite records of all time. Some albums transcend perspective. Images and Words may not be that kind of record for you, and that's fine. :)

es156
07-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Holy shit, you got Images and Words three years before Dream Theater recorded it! Think you could hook me up with the next Opeth record? :eyes:

Past that though, I agree that it's all in perspective. So I guess there's no real reason to bicker over which is better. However, I don't listen to Mindcrime or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway very often anymore, but they're still easily my two favorite records of all time. Some albums transcend perspective. Images and Words may not be that kind of record for you, and that's fine. :)

Ha ha, I don't know why I thought that came out in '89. OK, I have had it since 1992! My point is, when it came out I did think it was that kind of record. And I still think it is their best, but it has slipped down the status ladder a little bit over the years.

And I will save you the wait...the next Opeth CD is gonna suck just like the rest of their CD's. (ha ha)

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Ha ha, I don't know why I thought that came out in '89. OK, I have had it since 1992! My point is, when it came out I did think it was that kind of record. And I still think it is their best, but it has slipped down the status ladder a little bit over the years.

And I will save you the wait...the next Opeth CD is gonna suck just like the rest of their CD's. (ha ha)

Fair enough.

...not cool. :hmm: ;) You know though, based on a lot of your other tastes, if you could force yourself to get past the growls, Opeth would be your favorite death metal band.

Div
07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Yea... I couldn't decide whether or not to keep it, I decided not to. Plus there's the fact that I only bring those out when an ill-informed political discussion happens.

I actually had the perfect one lined up for the next political discussion, but there hasn't been one in ages. Well, I'd hate for Div to have worked so hard for nothing so...

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8022/pnorthstfunr0.jpg

I should've used kids with whipped cream all over their faces, maybe then they wouldn't have ignored it.

JRA
07-31-2007, 05:20 AM
I should've used kids with whipped cream all over their faces, maybe then they wouldn't have ignored it.

LOL

EvilCheeseWedge
07-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Actually, both times I saw Heaven And Hell they played real close to 2 hours.

And why don't you ask Neil Peart how much physical energy he puts into his live performance?

;)

No matter how much energy a drummer puts in to his show, he'll still be just sitting there :D

es156
07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
No matter how much energy a drummer puts in to his show, he'll still be just sitting there :D

:hmm:

:mad:

:pissed:

:foaming:

:nutkick:

(starts devising plans for super double secret atomic cheese grater)

EvilCheeseWedge
07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
(starts devising plans for super double secret atomic cheese grater)

:snivel:

Div
07-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Scott Columbus has special drums made of steel because he plays so hard that he just destroys regular drums.

ChildrenofSodom
07-31-2007, 02:52 PM
;)

Oh my god, I am so tired. Us guitarists sure do work up a sweat moving our 4 fingers back and forth on one hand and bending our other hand up and down. :hecho:

DethMaiden
07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Oh my god, I am so tired. Us guitarists sure do work up a sweat moving our 4 fingers back and forth on one hand and bending our other hand up and down. :hecho:

And running around the stage.

JRA
08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
;)

Do me a favor. Sit down in a chair and flail your arms and legs around like you're Helen keller having a seizure. Do that for about 10 minutes. Then repeatedly bang both your fists against the table for about 15 minutes.

If you aren't tired by the end, I will personally shit on my copy of Powerslave.

es156
08-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Do me a favor. Sit down in a chair and flail your arms and legs around like you're Helen keller having a seizure. Do that for about 10 minutes. Then repeatedly bang both your fists against the table for about 15 minutes.

If you aren't tired by the end, I will personally shit on my copy of Powerslave.

Wait....How did you know what I look like when I play drums?

JRA
08-01-2007, 04:56 PM

Wait....How did you know what I look like when I play drums?

What are you talking about? That's what I look like when I play drums!

You stole my technique! Shennanigans! Shennanigans!

es156
08-01-2007, 05:04 PM
What are you talking about? That's what I look like when I play drums!

You stole my technique! Shennanigans! Shennanigans!

Ha ha, that is probably what all drummers look like. Especially to non-drummers.

Man, we really need a drummer smilie!! Come on Ed, hook us up!

:snivel:

JRA
08-01-2007, 05:27 PM
What did Helen Keller do after she fell down a well?

She screamed her hands off!

es156
08-01-2007, 05:34 PM
What did Helen Keller do after she fell down a well?

She screamed her hands off!

Hey, maybe we should start a drummer joke thread! That might be slightly entertaining.

JRA
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM

Hey, maybe we should start a drummer joke thread! That might be slightly entertaining.

Except that wasn't a drummer joke, it was a Helen Keller joke. :D

I've never understood the origins of "drummer jokes" and why they insult our intelligence. It's kinda like those dead baby jokes, but those have aged surprisingly well in the past few years.

Maybe its cause I hate babies. :eyes:

es156
08-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Except that wasn't a drummer joke, it was a Helen Keller joke. :D

I've never understood the origins of "drummer jokes" and why they insult our intelligence. It's kinda like those dead baby jokes, but those have aged surprisingly well in the past few years.

Maybe its cause I hate babies. :eyes:

I know that wasn't a drummer joke, but it could be funny. Or it could be a total disaster.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Dude, sarcasm.

JRA
08-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Dude, sarcasm.

I was just joking dude. :eyes: