PDA

View Full Version : OVERKILL: New Album Title Revealed

es156
07-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Source: Blabbermouth (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=77024)

"Legendary thrash metal band OVERKILL has set "Immortalis" as the title of its new album, due this fall via Bodog Music. The group's collaboration with Bodog reunites OVERKILL with Jonny and Marsha Zazula, previous owners of Megaforce Records, the label responsible for putting metal on the map and bringing OVERKILL's New Jersey thrash metal to the world. The Zazulas are now a part of the Bodog Music team in the United States."

JRA
07-18-2007, 09:42 AM
At least there are no numbers in the title.

overkiller
07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Hmm.

ADD
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
I haven't heard anything from them post-I Hear Black. Will get this though, Overkill have recently become one of my favorite thrash bands.

overkiller
07-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I haven't heard anything from them post-I Hear Black. Will get this though, Overkill have recently become one of my favorite thrash bands.

Get W.F.O. and Killbox 13 first. If their last album (ReliXIV) was any indication, I'm not expecting great things from this one.

JRA
07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Get W.F.O. and Killbox 13 first.

Damn straight.

ravenheart
07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I highly recommend Necroshine too. I love that album. And Bloodletting.

Hell, just avoid The Killing Kind and Coverkill (why the hell was that album so quiet?) unless you're a die hard fan.

Overkill confirmed today for Wacken, if anyone's going.

jeremysaal
07-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Overkill has been one of the few thrash bands that have stayed true to their roots. They are thrash, always have been thrash, and always will be thrash.

The new album will kick ass!

overkiller
07-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Overkill has been one of the few thrash bands that have stayed true to their roots. They are thrash, always have been thrash, and always will be thrash.

As much as I love Overkill, I've always thought this attitude was kind of absurd. What about I Hear Black? What about all the 90s groove-metal stuff, for that matter? Why do people insist that Overkill has always stayed true to thrash, when in fact they very drastically changed their sound over the years?

JRA
07-19-2007, 08:21 PM
As much as I love Overkill, I've always thought this attitude was kind of absurd. What about I Hear Black? What about all the 90s groove-metal stuff, for that matter? Why do people insist that Overkill has always stayed true to thrash, when in fact they very drastically changed their sound over the years?

Yea, even Overkill fan #1 (three guesses but you'll only need one :eyes: ) would conceed that same thing...

ravenheart
07-20-2007, 02:25 AM
Why do people insist that Overkill has always stayed true to thrash, when in fact they very drastically changed their sound over the years?

And made it better, in my estimation.

JRA
07-20-2007, 06:52 AM
And made it better, in my estimation.

We're not (or at least I'm not) saying that the sound got worse, but in the thrash department Killbox 13 really isn't all that thrashy when compared to, say, Coma Of Souls.

ravenheart
07-20-2007, 07:17 AM
We're not (or at least I'm not) saying that the sound got worse, but in the thrash department Killbox 13 really isn't all that thrashy when compared to, say, Coma Of Souls.

Nor's Bloodletting or Necroshine. They tried to thrash it up again on RelXIV. Not really convinced that was overly successful. Good album though (apart from Old School).

ADD
07-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Nor's Bloodletting or Necroshine. They tried to thrash it up again on RelXIV. Not really convinced that was overly successful. Good album though (apart from Old School).
Old School is the only song I've heard from that album and I think its fucking great :party:

overkiller
07-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Old School is the only song I've heard from that album and I think its fucking great :party:

It's basically the only song worth listening to on it :lol:

es156
07-20-2007, 05:14 PM
It's basically the only song worth listening to on it :lol:

Seriously? It's that bad?

overkiller
07-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Well no, it's not THAT bad. It's just exceedingly boring for an Overkill record. There are a couple OK songs on it, but nothing really worth going back and listening to more than once or twice.

ravenheart
07-21-2007, 10:45 AM

No it's not. Not at all. It's just very... by the book. They don't deviate much. The only time they do is on Old School, which is a joke song and is terrible.

jeremysaal
07-23-2007, 08:30 AM

I'll agree with you on the one groove-metal album that they put out (I Hear Black), but that is it. I saw Overkill live during this time, and subsequent times, and watched them play nothing but thrash shows. I was there! Generally speaking, these guys have primarily played live thrash shows and put out thrash records the majority of the time. I don't know many other bands that have been around for close to 30 years who have stayed as close to their roots as Overkill.

I would guess that with your lack of adequate information, you are under 24 years of age and were just too young to actually hear what Overkill was playing live during those days.

Div
07-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Death Rider is still a kickass song, too bad noone seems to have heard it :(

JRA
07-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Death Rider is still a kickass song, too bad noone seems to have heard it :(

I've been wondering where you can hear it.

Div
07-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I've been wondering where you can hear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_In_Black

Ok, so maybe its not THAT good that you wanna go on a grail hunt for this thing. The production is pretty crappy and it doesnt offer anything breathtaking, I just think its pretty cool.

JRA
07-23-2007, 11:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_In_Black

Ok, so maybe its not THAT good that you wanna go on a grail hunt for this thing. The production is pretty crappy and it doesnt offer anything breathtaking, I just think its pretty cool.

How'd you snag it?

Div
07-23-2007, 12:25 PM
How'd you snag it?

I don't have the tape, I downloaded an mp3 of it, I don't remember where though.

ravenheart
07-26-2007, 03:26 AM
They've said they're going to debut some songs from the new album at Wacken.

overkiller
07-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I'll agree with you on the one groove-metal album that they put out (I Hear Black), but that is it. I saw Overkill live during this time, and subsequent times, and watched them play nothing but thrash shows. I was there! Generally speaking, these guys have primarily played live thrash shows and put out thrash records the majority of the time. I don't know many other bands that have been around for close to 30 years who have stayed as close to their roots as Overkill.

I would guess that with your lack of adequate information, you are under 24 years of age and were just too young to actually hear what Overkill was playing live during those days.

Bullshit, I hate that stupid metalhead attitude that thinks being older automatically gives credibility. I didn't have to be there in 1992 to know what they were playing live, durr. In terms of their approach to their music and their live shows, yeah, they've remained awesomely close to their roots. All I'm saying is that "Battle" and "80 Cycles" are NOT thrash.

ravenheart
07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Nor are most of the tracks on From The Underground, Necroshine or Bloodletting.

Hell, the title track from Horrorscope is hardly thrash!

overkiller
07-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Nor are most of the tracks on From The Underground, Necroshine or Bloodletting.

Hell, the title track from Horrorscope is hardly thrash!

Yeah, I was just using those two songs as examples.

jeremysaal
07-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Bullshit, I hate that stupid metalhead attitude that thinks being older automatically gives credibility. I didn't have to be there in 1992 to know what they were playing live, durr. In terms of their approach to their music and their live shows, yeah, they've remained awesomely close to their roots. All I'm saying is that "Battle" and "80 Cycles" are NOT thrash.

I'm glad that you finally agree with me.

As you can tell, those set lists from the early 90's are next to impossible to find. Those of us who were at these earlier shows are great resources for information. We can tell you exactly what was played "back in the day."

I hope that you catch their upcoming tour. I'll be at a minimum of two shows and possibly a third. As always, they will be awesome shows!

I posted a similar message earlier, but it was removed. I sure as hell hope that this website doesn't start censoring us.

Have a good one!