PDA

View Full Version : College Help

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2007, 01:32 AM
So, I'll be off to college in 2 years, and I havent decided what I want to study. I am very interested in studying history (American/Western), Constitutional Law (thats a big one for me), social psychology, etc. I keep hitting some walls.

First off...Most college ranking systems tell me which universities are the best, but they also seem to be the most expensive. And no list I have found ranks them according to the quality of their history/soc-psych programs.

Second...It seems only law schools teach constitutional law, but even then its just a fraction some other degree (JD, LLM, IDK?)...And I dont really want to go to a law school to train to be a lawyer, if I only really want to deal with constitutional law aspect of it all. .

So, can anyone direct me towards some high-quality history or constitutional law schools? Or offer some words of wisdom in the college hunt?

EDIT: I guess what I want to do is earn a "major" degree in history (American), with a minor in social psychology....And then carry that learning into a constitutional law school.....Does that sound like it will work? I am completely alien to how colleges work...:(

SomewhereInTime72
07-02-2007, 05:32 AM
BOB JONES UNIVERSITY.

powerslave_85
07-02-2007, 06:22 AM
I really have no clue. I don't know anything about colleges besides the one I go to :eyes:

Spiral_Slave
07-02-2007, 09:04 AM
It's really early to be worrrying about what courses to take and stuff. Your first semesters will mostly just be pre-req classes anyway. Just get with an advisor when the time gets closer and they'll help you figure it all out.

DethMaiden
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
99% of your college experience is what you put into it, not the college you go to.

That said, pick one in a city you want to live in. :D

Fe Maiden
07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
99% of your college experience is what you put into it, not the college you go to.QFT

Div
07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I bet if you took all the money you would end up spending on college and used it to play the lotto your chances of becoming wealthy would be higher than by getting a degree in history.

overkiller
07-02-2007, 03:14 PM
99% of your college experience is what you put into it, not the college you go to.

What? Who told you that?

DethMaiden
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
What? Who told you that?

My teacher. Care to dispel it?

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
My teacher. Care to dispel it?

Uh...pretty sure I will get more from Stanford than Wright State. ;)

I bet if you took all the money you would end up spending on college and used it to play the lotto your chances of becoming wealthy would be higher than by getting a degree in history.

I am not going into that field to become rich...It is what interests me....That being said, I also dont really care what city I live in. I have no fantasy dream for life, a penthouse in the sky, or whatever. If I end up back in Ohio, thats fine. If I end up in an apartment in NYC or DC, thats fine too. I just really want to explore history and constitutional law. I know its a little early to be thinking about this, but...

DethMaiden
07-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Uh...pretty sure I will get more from Stanford than Wright State. ;)

Will you get more from being a drunken frat boy at Stanford than being a dedicated student at Wright State? That's the point Mr. Scott was making. You can go to Harvard but it ain't worth jack shit unless you make it so.

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Will you get more from being a drunken frat boy at Stanford than being a dedicated student at Wright State? That's the point Mr. Scott was making. You can go to Harvard but it ain't worth jack shit unless you make it so.

But you know I'm not a drunken frat boy...and busting my ass at a top-tier university would be more beneficial than doing so at a tiny college. Oh well.

overkiller
07-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Well fine, but think about it this way. Someone who gives their all at 'Superior College A' is most likely going to get a better education than someone who gives their all at 'Inferior College B'. Therefore it does matter what college you go to. I don't see how that isn't the case.

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Well fine, but think about it this way. Someone who gives their all at 'Superior College A' is most likely going to get a better education than someone who gives their all at 'Inferior College B'. Therefore it does matter what college you go to. I don't see how that isn't the case.

The teacher was probably saying that you have to put effort into everything you do, or all the oppurtunities in the world won't help you. But I am with you on what you said.

DethMaiden
07-02-2007, 05:57 PM

Yeah. Fuck.

KillYourFace
07-02-2007, 08:31 PM
don't go to college. it's a waste of money.

powerslave_85
07-02-2007, 08:33 PM
don't go to college. it's a waste of money.
:tp:

Div
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Didn't Bill Gates drop out of Harvard and go on to become the richest civillian in the world?

powerslave_85
07-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Didn't Bill Gates drop out of Harvard and go on to become the richest civillian in the world?
Yeah, you're right. I should drop out and just start my own multi-billion dollar corporation. Why didn't I think of that before?

This is the truth about college: Yes, it's expensive, and it may seem like it's a waste of money sometimes, but there are tons of scholarships, loans, and other forms of financial aid out there for people who are willing to find them. It challenges you and forces you to reevaluate your priorities and gives you a good dose of humility sometimes. It's, bar none, the most fun you'll ever have, and that's almost regardless of where you go. If you find a field of study that interests you, your chances of finding a good career in that field skyrockets.

Div
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm not bashing college, but people should realize their success will be based on their own personal
ability and not a piece of paper that says you went to class and did your homework. Lots of people get their B.A. and think they're a cut above everyone else, but all a college does is make you a certified trainee. Lots of people don't end up with jobs even after they graduate because theyre as flimsy as the paper their degree was printed on.

Also, Bill Gates started out with pretty much no money, just his drive to be successful and outsmarting others.

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm not bashing college, but people should realize their success will be based on their own personal
ability and not a piece of paper that says you went to class and did your homework. Lots of people get their B.A. and think they're a cut above everyone else, but all a college does is make you a certified trainee. Lots of people don't end up with jobs even after they graduate because theyre as flimsy as the paper their degree was printed on.

Also, Bill Gates started out with pretty much no money, just his drive to be successful and outsmarting others.

Something deep inside of me says that since I REALLY enjoy studying history, constitutional law, social-psychology, etc....going to college to study in one of those fields, which will earn me a degree of some kind. Having that degree and the personal drive/interest in what I do can push me to pursue any related career. If I have to make a living, it might as well be doing something I really enjoy. Whether that takes me to teaching high school students, working for a university, holding public office, lawyering, whatever....I will make my living doing something that I want to do, not just some mind-numbing task that merely fulfills my financial needs.