PDA

View Full Version : The iPhone...

hot_turkey_ed
06-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Any early adopters here?

Fe Maiden
06-30-2007, 06:47 PM
It looks cool but I'm not that rich to spend $600 for a fancy phone that seems more like an addictive toy;)

JRA
06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
HELL-MUTHAFUCKIN-NO SUCKA!

powerslave_85
06-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I'd love to have one, but $500 + switching providers + outrageous calling plan = no iPhone for me.

hot_turkey_ed
06-30-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm mostly concerned about the battery. This is largely the phone I've been waiting YEARS for but I'm probably going to wait for gen2.

DethMaiden
06-30-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd like one but I have a phone as well as an iPod and therefore have no real use for it.

Div
06-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't even use my cell phone that much anyway, so im not getting one. It seems cool and all but buying a new type of electronic when it first comes out is always a mistake cause theres always some kind of hardware defect or programming glitch they weren't able to catch. Same thing with new generation cars, it's better to just wait a year for them to perfect it.

ravenheart
07-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Not even thought about it. A phone is a phone. It makes calls and sends messages. And mine still works. So I don't need a new one.

I don't quite get this phone as a toy thing. It's a tool. It has a job and that's all it needs to do. My computer is for the stuff computers do. My camera is for the stuff cameras do. My walkman does what music players do. And my phone does what phones do.

JRA
07-01-2007, 06:42 AM
I don't quite get this phone as a toy thing. It's a tool. It has a job and that's all it needs to do. My computer is for the stuff computers do. My camera is for the stuff cameras do. My walkman does what music players do. And my phone does what phones do.

I'll assume this is all because it says you're from England, and if so, its proof the English have a lot more common sense.:D

Div
07-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Well the iPhone is a good idea. Instead of carrying around a PDA, a music player, and a phone, you can put it all in one nice small package. Of course, I'm more interested in what kind of exploits this thing has than using it as an actual phone :D

hot_turkey_ed
07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
It's the OS X integration that has me most interested. A lot of the iPhone's other features are already out there.

Div
07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
well it didnt take long for a site like this to pop up http://www.iphonehacks.com/ :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I think the idea of i____ is very stupid. Its just another example of people buying things because of the name. I am sure there have been other phones with all the same features as the iPhone, but they dont bear the Apple name. Plus, how fucking lazy do you have to be to want to combine all those electronics into one device, and once you lose it or break it, you have no more phone, instant messaging, camera, MP3 player, etc.

Besides, my phone, generic brand mp3 player, and digital camera all work fine. I dont need to drop 600 bones on a piece of social status.

DreamEvil001
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
I think the idea of i____ is very stupid. Its just another example of people buying things because of the name. I am sure there have been other phones with all the same features as the iPhone, but they dont bear the Apple name. Plus, how fucking lazy do you have to be to want to combine all those electronics into one device, and once you lose it or break it, you have no more phone, instant messaging, camera, MP3 player, etc.

Besides, my phone, generic brand mp3 player, and digital camera all work fine. I dont need to drop 600 bones on a piece of social status.

its not just about social status. can you honestly see no benefit of carrying one piece of electronics to do the job of 4 or 5? and if you believe the hype, a much better job than the original 4? and I haven't heard of any device that can do ALL of what the iphone can do

and yes it is too much money, so I won't be getting one

ChildrenofSodom
07-01-2007, 10:19 PM
its not just about social status. can you honestly see no benefit of carrying one piece of electronics to do the job of 4 or 5? and if you believe the hype, a much better job than the original 4? and I haven't heard of any device that can do ALL of what the iphone can do

and yes it is too much money, so I won't be getting one

I am too tired to really argue, but if this thing wasnt being put out by apple or microsoft, do you really think anyone would care?

hot_turkey_ed
07-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I am too tired to really argue, but if this thing wasnt being put out by apple or microsoft, do you really think anyone would care?

If it wasn't put out by Apple, the integration with mac wouldn't be there.

You're missing the ball on some great iphone features in rebelling against the hype.

Div
07-01-2007, 11:33 PM
There's no point in blindly bashing new technology because of some lame social cleche that only exists in the commercials. I bet some of you guys would still wind up your cars if apple was the one who invented the electronic ignition. "Damn new-age expensive cars, who needs em when my trusty old crank can get the job done!"

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2007, 12:23 AM
I dont doubt that the iPhone would be useful...and if it were cheaper, I might get one.....But people are going to shell out 600 dollars for something that cost less than 1 dollar to manufacture, because it bears that brand name.

hot_turkey_ed
07-02-2007, 12:45 AM
There's no point in blindly bashing new technology because of some lame social cleche that only exists in the commercials. I bet some of you guys would still wind up your cars if apple was the one who invented the electronic ignition. "Damn new-age expensive cars, who needs em when my trusty old crank can get the job done!"

:fist:

DethMaiden
07-02-2007, 08:22 AM

:fist: Absolutely. So many people see things that way though, sadly.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I'll give you two good reasons not to get one:

1) First generation.
2) AT&T.

It's only common sense in tech to wait for the second generation, the first service pack, whatever, before you really get ready to trust something. I'm not willing to spend $600 + switch carriers to test Apple's new product. I'll wait for the next release. We'll see how the iPhone plays out. Battery problems? Software issues? I don't know yet, but I'm sure we'll find out over the course of the next few weeks and months.

And finally, I don't want to switch to AT&T. I really don't. And as pro-consumer as Apple bills itself as, I don't really see a lot of consumer freedom with what you can do with your iPhone since you're, well, limited to one carrier.

EvilCheeseWedge
07-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm mostly concerned about the battery. This is largely the phone I've been waiting YEARS for but I'm probably going to wait for gen2.

:lol:

I read this after I posted! :lol:

You rock Ed.

DethMaiden
07-02-2007, 08:57 AM
I'll give you two good reasons not to get one:

1) First generation.
2) AT&T.

It's only common sense in tech to wait for the second generation, the first service pack, whatever, before you really get ready to trust something. I'm not willing to spend $600 + switch carriers to test Apple's new product. I'll wait for the next release. We'll see how the iPhone plays out. Battery problems? Software issues? I don't know yet, but I'm sure we'll find out over the course of the next few weeks and months.

And finally, I don't want to switch to AT&T. I really don't. And as pro-consumer as Apple bills itself as, I don't really see a lot of consumer freedom with what you can do with your iPhone since you're, well, limited to one carrier.

First gen, yes. But I'm already on AT&T. :eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
07-02-2007, 09:30 AM
First gen, yes. But I'm already on AT&T. :eyes:
It's okay, I hate all wireless carriers :)

IamTheMickster
07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Someone posted a pretty cool teardown video of the iPhone on YouTube

es156
07-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Interesting news about the battery - it is soldered to the phone and it is not user replaceable. But you can send it to Apple and for $80 + shipping they will replace it for you.

:lol:

hot_turkey_ed
07-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I read somewhere that the battery is expected to last about two year with normal use. That's mean it would last six months with my usage.

:bouville:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I checked them out at an Apple Store the other day. pretty neat but not worth the $$$ and the switching providers. besides, I have a decent cell phone (red razr) and a 30g video Ipod. maybe in a few years when the price has come down and you can use them with other cell carriers.

DethMaiden
07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I have a decent cell phone (red razr) and a 30g video Ipod.

Yeah, this is my main roadblock too. What happens to my other perfectly functional gadgets when I buy it?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, this is my main roadblock too. What happens to my other perfectly functional gadgets when I buy it?

paperweights? ;)

DethMaiden
07-08-2007, 02:35 PM
paperweights? ;)

You've changed my mind! iPhone here I come! :lol:

Div
07-08-2007, 03:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy20b7pCcrY

Future brain surgeons.