PDA

View Full Version : 2007...the year so far

powerslave_85
06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Anyone else want to start making preliminary rankings for the best albums of 2007 so far? Don't be afraid, just post your favorites so far, and maybe what's still to be released that you're excited about. Here's a very loose approximation of what my list is shaping up to be:

1. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
2. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
3. The White Stripes- Icky Thump
4. Tegan & Sara- The Con
5. Clutch- From Beale St. To Oblivion
6. Nine Inch Nails- Year Zero
7. Municipal Waste- The Art of Partying
8. Broadway Calls- Broadway Calls
9. Arcade Fire- Neon Bible
10. Pelican- City of Echoes

There's definitely a few that will get bumped out and that I only put on there to try and make an even 10, but those are all really solid albums IMO. I'd say that 1-6 are pretty much locked down. Here's what I haven't heard yet that will probably make the list by the end of the year:

Bad Religion- New Maps of Hell
Against Me!- New Wave
Dillinger Escape Plan- Ire Works
New High On Fire
Beastie Boys- The Mix Up

I should add that this year I'll probably have more metal on my list than I ever have before, which is interesting since none of the "big players" are putting out anything this year.

ADD
06-16-2007, 09:29 PM
1.) Municipal Waste- The Art Of Partying
2.) Alabama Thunderpussy- Open Fire
3.) Rwake- Voices Of Omens
4.) Clutch- From Beale St. To Oblivion
5.) Brant Bjork- Tres Dias
6.) Grails- Burning Off Impurities
7.) Middian- Age Eternal
8.) Crippled Black Phoenix- A Love Of Shared Disasters
9.) Minsk- The Ritual Fires Of Abandonment
10.) Moonsorrow- V: Havitetty

Been a tremendous year so far, with many more awesome albums to come. The top 10 is gonna be damn hard to do. I'm guessing the new High On Fire and Baroness albums will also make a run at the top 10, as far as what I know is still to be released.

ADD
06-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Damn looking at my list again it actually kinda sucks, there's so many other albums that really could as easily be there, I'd say I'm happy with my first 3 then after that its a crapshoot.

And Nick, you should put that new Baroness on your list too along with the HOF (which is gonna be titled "Death Is This Communion" btw), you're gonna need it :cool:

ravenheart
06-17-2007, 06:33 AM
So far:

Tarot - Crows Fly Black
Tristania - Illumination
Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain
Echoes of Eternity - The Forgotten Goddess
McQueen - Break The Silence
U.D.O. - Mastercutor
Chimaira - Resurrection
Hellyeah - Hellyeah
The Showdown - Temptation Come My Way
Annihilator - Metal

I have the new Kamelot, SymphonyX, Abandoned and Iron Savior as well, but I've not listened to any of them yet. Plus a bunch of others.

DethMaiden
06-17-2007, 07:23 AM
I've only really enjoyed eight of the twelve I've bought, so I'll rank those eight.

1. Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet
2. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
3. Type O Negative- Dead Again
4. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
5. Novembers Doom- The Novella Reservoir
6. Devin Townsend- Ziltoid the Omniscient
7. Sonata Arctica- Unia
8. Rush- Snakes & Arrows

Disappointments: Megadeth, Shadows Fall, Men As Trees, and The Hidden Hand.

EDIT: These are so goddamned out of order except for 1 and 2. Who knows what I'll think come January 1st. :lol:

ADD
06-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I've only really enjoyed eight of the twelve I've bought, so I'll rank those eight.

3. Type O Negative- Dead Again
5. Novembers Doom- The Novella Reservoir
6. Devin Townsend- Ziltoid the Omniscient
7. Sonata Arctica- Unia
8. Rush- Snakes & Arrows

Disappointments: Megadeth, Shadows Fall, Men As Trees, and The Hidden Hand.

EDIT: These are so goddamned out of order except for 1 and 2. Who knows what I'll think come January 1st. :lol:

Suggestion: give The Hidden Hand album another listen. I did recently, definitely gonna be gettin more plays.

And I like that Men As Trees album :cool:

overkiller
06-17-2007, 08:28 AM
I might be the biggest Waste fan here and I dunno guys... it just wasn't that good :eyes:

Anyway, here's mine... it will probably change.

1. Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
2. Rwake - Voices of Omens
3. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
4. Blood Freak - Multiplex Massacre
5. Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
6. Total Fucking Destruction - Zen and the Art of Total Fucking Destruction
7. Type O Negative - Dead Again
8. Swallow the Sun - Hope
9. Candlemass - King of the Grey Islands
10. Immolation - Shadows in the Light

Disappointments:

Megadeth - United Abominations (actually not a disappointment since I figured it would suck, but man, it sure exceeded my expectations of suckiness)
W.A.S.P. - Dominator (I think the formulas Blackie has been using for about 25 years have really run dry)
Manowar - Gods of War (fucking worthless garbage except for the few songs that were released previously on the Sons of Odin EP, which I liked)
Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying (while this was definitely a cool album and doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside the previous three pieces of crap, I really wanted this to be better. MW's music doesn't really have much more to it than like 2 albums, I think. They've said all they had to say, and now they're releasing weaker rehashes of stuff they've already done.)

So yeah, 2007 has seen some good shit so far, but it's disappointing that some of my favorite bands put out disappointing albums. Oh well. I have to admit, the yearly ranking stuff is probably my favorite part of posting here :lol: We are such nerds :party:

Oh, and just for shits, here are the rest of the albums I've heard thus far, in a very rough ranking from best to worst. It picks up where my top ten left off:

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Paradise Lost - In Requiem
Novembers Doom - The Novella Resevoir
Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
Saxon - The Inner Sanctum
Vital Remains - Icons of Evil
Akercocke - Antichrist
Finntroll - Ur Jordens Djup
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - Dusk and Void Became Alive
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Ensiferum - Victory Songs
Manowar - Gods of War
W.A.S.P. - Dominator
Megadeth - United Abominations

Yes, it looks like Dave is gonna get the crowning turd of 2007 :party:

ravenheart
06-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Biggest disappointment for me so far was the Saxon one. Totally formulaic after four great albums.

Shit, I've got that Candlemass one too. Had that for about three weeks and still no listened to it!!

ADD
06-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Don't feel too bad ravenheart, I've had some albums sitting since February that I haven't listened to yet :lol: Oh and the new Saxon is good I think, but indeed nothing compared to Lionheart.

And Brady, as far as Municipal Waste, I really think that The Art Of Partying does say something different, or at least add something new in that it is clearly way more metal influenced than their past stuff. They've been slowly morphing from raging straight-up hardcore to a more classic thrash metal approach with every release, and here I think they've definitely hit their stride. The songwriting is great as usual, catchy, heavy, fun, and it still leaves me wanting more (even though its their longest offering). I still get a kick of it and listen constantly, for me it is one of the best thrash records I've heard, along with Hazardous Mutation. In my opinion they're not rehashing at all, at least not anymore to the extent they do already since let's be honest, the music is based around essentially copying what bands like D.R.I and Wehrmacht and shit did before.

Spiral_Slave
06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Tarot - Crows Fly Black

This came out in 06...

DethMaiden
06-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Seeing as I'm the resident stats nerd/polling dude, I'll give what the site list would be based only on these and even though it's only June. :eyes:

3. Rwake- Voices of Omens
4. Municipal Waste- The Art of Partying
5. Type O Negative- Dead Again
6. Mayhem- Ordo Ad Chao
7. Lots tied with 9

This list means nothing

Spiral_Slave
06-17-2007, 05:02 PM
I have to say, 2007 has been a great year for me so far. Here's the albums I have, I might put them in order in a bit...

Cage - Hell Destroyer
Dark Moor - Tarot
Ensiferum - Victory Songs
Finntroll - Ur Jordens Djup
Kamelot - Ghost Opera
Machine Men - Circus Of Fools
Manticora - The Black Circus Pt. 2 - Disclosure
Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
Sinner - Mask Of Sanity
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Trail Of Tears - Existentia
Twilightning - Swinelords
Visions Of Atlantis - Trinity
W.A.S.P. - Dominator

theclansman1114
06-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Biggest disappointment for me so far was the Saxon one. Totally formulaic after four great albums.

:hecho:
That album is fantastic. I absolutely love it and think it's one of their best.

I'm curious, how was it disappointing to you?

overkiller
06-17-2007, 06:59 PM

Just to throw out my :2cents:, I thought State of Grace was a pretty great opener but the rest of the album just kind of floated by without getting my attention.

ChildrenofSodom
06-18-2007, 03:04 AM
3. Grave Digger---Liberty or Death
1. Swallow the Sun---Hope
2. Novembers Doom--Novella Reservior
4. Shadows Fall--Threads of Life
5. Porcupine Tree---Fear of a Blank Planet

I really dont care after that.

Men As Trees---From the Crow's Nest, Looking Out
Daath---Hinderers
Dimmu Borgir---In Sorte Diaboli

I really need the new Virgin Black :(

ravenheart
06-18-2007, 04:44 AM
This came out in 06...

Not in this country it didn't. Or any of the other territories where it came out on Nuclear Blast. January 22, 2007 here.

ravenheart
06-18-2007, 04:46 AM

Because after four albums of advancement and steps forward, Inner Sanctum is Saxon-by-numbers. Formulaic and ultimately very boring. Horrible lyrics as well.

If I Was You works well live, and Red Star Falling is good (even better live), but come on... "I've Got To Rock To Stay Alive"?

Actually, why am I bothering retyping all this. You can read it all here: http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/03/04/saxon-the-inner-sanctum/

Bear in mind while reading that I'm a big Saxon fan.

theclansman1114
06-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Just to throw out my :2cents:, I thought State of Grace was a pretty great opener but the rest of the album just kind of floated by without getting my attention.

Red Star Falling just floated past you then? :eyes:

theclansman1114
06-18-2007, 05:55 AM
Because after four albums of advancement and steps forward, Inner Sanctum is Saxon-by-numbers. Formulaic and ultimately very boring. Horrible lyrics as well.

If I Was You works well live, and Red Star Falling is good (even better live), but come on... "I've Got To Rock To Stay Alive"?

Actually, why am I bothering retyping all this. You can read it all here: http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/03/04/saxon-the-inner-sanctum/

Bear in mind while reading that I'm a big Saxon fan.

What about Ashes to Ashes? Yes, I've Got To Rock To Stay Alive is very lame, but they have one of those lame rocker Ac/dc style songs on almost every album.

ravenheart
06-18-2007, 06:17 AM
What about Ashes to Ashes?

It's alright. Still pretty by-the-numbers, though. It's all that "backs to the wall", "never surrender", "together we fall" stuff they've had in 174 other Saxon songs.

SirLardsAlot
06-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Uh, all I got was United Abominations ... which was ... eh.

:dragon:

ADD
06-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Not in this country it didn't. Or any of the other territories where it came out on Nuclear Blast. January 22, 2007 here.

An album released anywhere in the world in 2006 is a 2006 album as far as the standards of this board; same for 2007 or for any year.

overkiller
06-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Red Star Falling just floated past you then? :eyes:

Ahh, actually that name rings a bell. I think I liked that one a lot.

sylpriest
06-18-2007, 06:24 PM
1. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
2. QOTSA- Era Vulgaris
3. HORSE the band- A Natural Death

eh I can't think of what else came out/ I bought

hot_turkey_ed
06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
The albums (in alphabetical order) that are getting the most traction from me:

7000 Dying Rats - Season In Hell
Dream Theator - Systematic Chaos
Dying Fetus - War Of Attrition
Fairyland - Fall Of Empire
Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Manowar - Gods Of War
Megadeth - United Abominations
Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Sonata Arctica - Unia

I'm doing something very different this year: a playist with my purchases as they make it into iTunes.

ravenheart
06-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Just listened to the new Ride The Sky and the new Amorphis last night. Definite contenders, although they're latter-half of '07 albums.

Human_Metal
06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
My top-5 albums so far:

1. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
2. Grave Digger - Liberty or Death
3. Iron Savior - Megatropolis
4. Sabaton - Metalizer
5. Rebellion - Miklagard

other albums i've heard from this year:
Saxon - The Inner Sanctum (good album)
W.A.S.P. - Dominator (Good album)
Megadeth - United Abominations (Great album but not enough to make it to top-5)
U.D.O - Mastercutor (Vendetta is an awsome song but the rest of the album is quite forgettable)
Manowar - Gods of War (More "real" songs and this album could have been a killer, but stills it's a quite good album)
Twilightning - Swinelords (A bit wierd album IMO but still it's enjoyable)
Sonata Arctica - Unia (disappointment)
Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain (disappointment)

I have missed quite much albums but i will check up these to begin:

Cage - Hell Destroyer
Rush - Snakes & Arrows

SomewhereInTime72
06-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Just listened to the new Ride The Sky and the new Amorphis last night. Definite contenders, although they're latter-half of '07 albums.

The new amorphis leaked? :eek:

ravenheart
06-20-2007, 05:21 PM
The new amorphis leaked? :eek:

I've no idea. Probably not. I have the CD.

ravenheart
06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
U.D.O - Mastercutor (Vendetta is an awsome song but the rest of the album is quite forgettable)

Really? What's wrong with The Wrong Side of Midnight, for example?

Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain (disappointment)

What?! Great riffs (different, for a change!), great songs, and Ozzy sounds good. What else did you want from an Ozzy album? (apart from no ballads - Ozzy sucks so much at ballads)

SnakeCharmer
06-20-2007, 06:58 PM
This is my list so far but I have a lot of albums to go through so its very likely to change:

1 Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
2 Alabama Thunderpussy - Open Fire
3 Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty
4 Swallow the Sun - Hope
5 Lunar Aurora - Andecht
6 Rwake - Voices of Omens
7 Morgana Lefay - Aberrations of the Mind
8 Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
9 Ensiferum - Victory Songs
10 Psyopus - Our Puzzling Encounters Considered

es156
06-20-2007, 07:02 PM
This is my list so far but I have a lot of albums to go through so its very likely to change:

1 Redemption - The Origins of Ruin

:party: :party:

Definitely my number one so far. Great CD.

Human_Metal
06-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Really? What's wrong with The Wrong Side of Midnight, for example?

Okey, that was one of the better songs. The Instigator was also quite okey. But songs like Crash bang Crash, Walker in the Dark and Tears of a Clown is complete rubbish.

What?! Great riffs (different, for a change!), great songs, and Ozzy sounds good. What else did you want from an Ozzy album? (apart from no ballads - Ozzy sucks so much at ballads)

I want Ozzy songs. The album sounds to much like BLS. I love BLS, but if i put on a Ozzy record i don't want to hear BLS songs.

ravenheart
06-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Okey, that was one of the better songs. The Instigator was also quite okey. But songs like Crash bang Crash, Walker in the Dark and Tears of a Clown is complete rubbish.

I want Ozzy songs. The album sounds to much like BLS. I love BLS, but if i put on a Ozzy record i don't want to hear BLS songs.

Agreed, Crash Bang Crash is terrible. I liked Walker In The Dark, though.

I don't mind Ozzy changing his sound. I want to hear something different. And I think it's more that BLS sounds too much like Ozzy. Zakk's been mimicking Ozzy's vocals since The Blessed Hellride. It's one of the reasons why I think BLS sound terrible live these days. And their new album is appallingly recycled.

And that from the biggest ZW fan you'll probably meet.

zgodt
06-21-2007, 07:07 AM
An album released anywhere in the world in 2006 is a 2006 album as far as the standards of this board; same for 2007 or for any year.
:dorky:

overkiller
06-21-2007, 04:46 PM
This year's gonna be more interesting since we don't have a Maiden or a Mastodon to ruin the fun.

DethMaiden
06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
This year's gonna be more interesting since we don't have a Maiden or a Mastodon to ruin the fun.

Yeah, for once I actually have no idea what the list will look like come January.

Div
06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
we need a king diamond review

ADD
06-27-2007, 10:43 PM
we need a king diamond review
Just get it :D

SomewhereInTime72
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Here's my halfway-point list.

1.Symphony X - Paradise Lost
2.Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
3.Dir en grey - The Marrow Of A Bone
4.Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
5.King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul... Please
6.Rush - Snakes And Arrows
7.Megadeth - United Abominations
8.Menomena - Friend And Foe
9.Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
10.3 Inches Of Blood - Fire Up The Blades

But with new Behemoth, KMFDM, and AMORPHIS!!!! and possibly HELLOWEEN!!! albums on the way, theres no possible chance of this list remaining remotely the same, even without any albums growing on me. :hmm:

DethMaiden
07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
7.Megadeth - United Abominations
9.Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet

:snivel:

ravenheart
07-02-2007, 03:19 PM
The new Amorphis is awesome.

SomewhereInTime72
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
:snivel:

What can I say? I wasn't that impressed with FOABP, and in my opinion a mediocre Megadeth album is better than a mediocre Porcupine Tree album.
I have enough faith in Amorphis that without even hearing anything of that album yet, I'm still expecting it to place in my year-end top 5. Or #1 for that matter if they really blow my mind. :bliss:

overkiller
07-02-2007, 04:00 PM

From metal-archives.com: "This album is based on an episode from Finland's national epic, the 'Kalevala.'"

I am shocked at this novel development!! :eek:

I'm looking forward to hearing it. :D

Maiden33
07-02-2007, 08:50 PM
1.Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
2.Allen/Lande - The Revenge
3.Masterplan - MKII
4.Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
5.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
6.Symphony X - Paradise Lost
7.Excalion - Waterlines
8.Sinner - Mask of Sanity
9.Saxon - The Inner Sanctum
10.WASP - Dominator

I suppose that's a rough list for now.
I still need to pick up a lot of releases I expect to rank rather well, such as new Pink Cream 69 and Silent Force. Also, many things are still to come which could easily rank quite high for me.

powerslave_85
07-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Slightly revised list:

2. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
3. Chuck Ragan- Feast or Famine
4. The White Stripes- Icky Thump
5. Tegan & Sara- The Con
6. Clutch- From Beale St. To Oblivion
7. Nine Inch Nails- Year Zero
8. Municipal Waste- The Art of Partying
9. Broadway Calls- Broadway Calls
10. Arcade Fire- Neon Bible

It's been such a great year so far, but it's still REALLY crappy that two of my favorite bands (Bad Religion and Against Me!) came out with albums that rank among the worst albums of their careers :(

overkiller
07-02-2007, 09:24 PM
It's been such a great year so far, but it's still REALLY crappy that two of my favorite bands (Bad Religion and Against Me!) came out with albums that rank among the worst albums of their careers :(

It seems to be a big year for that :(

Here's my list as of now:

1. Rwake - Voices of Omens
2. Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
3. Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment
4. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
5. Nile - Ithyphallic
6. Blood Freak - Multiplex Massacre
7. Pelican - City of Echoes
8. Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
9. Total Fucking Destruction - Zen and the Art of Total Fucking Destruction
10. Type O Negative - Dead Again

There's not much else coming out in 2007 that could shake things up too much... I'm looking forward to the new Baroness and High On Fire, and if it lives up to the hype, Alcest's 2007 album might make it on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

powerslave_85
07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
It seems to be a big year for that :(To look on the bright side, though, there are twice as many albums that either met or vastly exceeded my expectations. I just wish BR and AM! had been in that group.

What were you disappointed in?

overkiller
07-02-2007, 09:29 PM
To look on the bright side, though, there are twice as many albums that either met or vastly exceeded my expectations. I just wish BR and AM! had been in that group.

What were you disappointed in?

W.A.S.P. and Manowar for the most part. Also, I wasn't overly thrilled with the new Waste, but I keep meaning to go back and listen again.

DethMaiden
07-03-2007, 07:07 AM
2. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
3. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
4. Novembers Doom- The Novella Reservoir
5. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
6. Type O Negative- Dead Again
7. Rush- Snakes & Arrows
8. Sonata Arctica- Unia
9. King Diamond- Give Me Your Soul...Please
10. Devin Townsend- Ziltoid the Omniscient

I don't feel comfortable putting the new Rwake on here until I buy it and give it enough listens for it to sink in, but that one will be high. And there's definitely gonna be some shaking up of this list when I hear the new Paradise Lost, The Red Chord, Gazpacho, and Blackfield. Not to mention anything that comes out in August through December, since I'm pretty clueless on that general part of the calendar.

ravenheart
07-03-2007, 07:15 AM
3.Masterplan - MKII
5.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
6.Symphony X - Paradise Lost
7.Excalion - Waterlines
8.Sinner - Mask of Sanity
9.Saxon - The Inner Sanctum
10.WASP - Dominator

Power metal fan, at all? ;)

The new Silent Force is poor, to be honest. Don't pay too much for it.

overkiller
07-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Come year-end I'm also gonna do a top ten album art list too. :dorky:

es156
07-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Come year-end I'm also gonna do a top ten album art list too. :dorky:

I know you are not a big fan of the Symphony X CD, but I think the artwork for Paradise Lost is pretty cool.

overkiller
07-28-2007, 07:38 PM
I know you are not a big fan of the Symphony X CD, but I think the artwork for Paradise Lost is pretty cool.

Meh, it's ok. A little silly and too CG-ish. And what does it have to do with Paradise Lost?

overkiller
07-28-2007, 07:49 PM
And just while I'm on the topic, there are a handful of 2007s with photograph covers I really like. Alcest, Neurosis, Forgotten Woods, Shining, Type O Negative...

DethMaiden
07-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Goddamn, I think this has been a really bad year for cover art. I'll attempt a list at the end of the year if I can but nothing has grabbed me.

powerslave_85
07-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Maiden is the only band's cover art that I really pay much attention to. However, Pig Destroyer's Phantom Limb art was way cool, and High On Fire's new cover art is bad-fucking-ass.

ravenheart
07-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Everyone check out the new Clawfinger when it comes out. Awesome CD.

overkiller
07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Goddamn, I think this has been a really bad year for cover art. I'll attempt a list at the end of the year if I can but nothing has grabbed me.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/alcestsouvenirs2.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/neurosis.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/forgottenwoods.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/shining.jpg

DethMaiden
07-29-2007, 04:42 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/shining.jpg

I do really like this one.

JRA
07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/alcestsouvenirs2.jpg

When its shrunken down to the size of your icon it looks like she's snorting something through a straw.

Spiral_Slave
07-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Here is a list of all my '07 albums in the order I rank them.

01. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
02. Sonata Arctica - Unia
03. Dark Moor - Tarot
04. Ensiferum - Victory Songs
05. King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul...Please
06. Hans Zimmer - POTC: At World's End Soundtrack
07. Twilightning - Swinelords
08. Kamelot - Ghost Opera
09. Sinner - Mask Of Sanity
10. Machine Men - Circus Of Fools
11. Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
12. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
13. Manticora - The Black Circus Pt. 2 - Disclosure
14. Visions Of Atlantis - Trinity
15. Finntroll - Ur Jordens Djup
16. W.A.S.P. - Dominator
17. Clutch - From Beale Street To Oblivion
18. Cage - Hell Destroyer
19. Megadeth - United Abominations

SomewhereInTime72
07-30-2007, 09:49 AM
http://entertainment.bodogbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/yearzero_cover.jpg

I like the new NIN's artwork. Great album too.

DethMaiden
07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, it may seem fishy because it's also my favorite album, but I love the art to Fear of a Blank Planet:

http://www.porcupinetree.com/images/albumart.foabp.jpg

SomewhereInTime72
07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
That just makes me think of something Korn would put out. :eyes:

powerslave_85
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Things have been shaken up in my top 10!

2. Tegan & Sara- The Con
3. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
4. Chuck Ragan- Feast or Famine
5. The White Stripes- Icky Thump
8. Himsa- Summon In Thunder
9. Nile- Ithyphallic
10. Broadway Calls- Broadway Calls

Tegan & Sara have captured the #2 spot from 3IoB. Who would have thought that two diminutive Canadian identical twins could kick the ass of a bunch of metalheads? :D Pig Destroyer's not going anywhere, though. The only two big contenders I've yet to hear are High On Fire and Dillinger Escape Plan. I can almost guarantee that HOF will be on the list, probably in the top 5. Regardless, this will be the most metal I've had in my top 10 in a very long time.

theclansman1114
08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
02. Sonata Arctica - Unia

:hecho: Couldn't disagree more.
To each their own I guess.

DethMaiden
08-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Alright, here's my best guess at my list right now. Nothing final but I'm happy with it for now. A big fuck you to Megadeth, Sonata Arctica, Devin Townsend, King Diamond and especially The Red Chord for putting out at best mediocre records.

3. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb
4. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
5. Blackfield- Blackfield II
6. Novembers Doom- The Novella Reservoir
7. Rush- Snakes & Arrows
8. Type O Negative- Dead Again
9. Cephalic Carnage- Xenosapien
10. Men As Trees- From the Crow's Nest, Looking Out

ChildrenofSodom
08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
1. Virgin Black -- Requiem: Mezzo Forte
2. Swallow the Sun -- Hope
3. Novembers Doom -- The Novella Reservoir
4. 3 Inches of Blood -- Fire Up the Blades
5. Grave Digger -- Liberty or Death
6. Paradise Lost -- Requiem
7. Shadows Fall -- Threads of Life
8. Porcupine Tree -- Fear of a Blank Planet

That was hard. All of them are completely different types of metal. I also have the new Daath and Dimmu Borgir, but neither deserve spots on my list. I think I've gotten a few others, but I cant remember.

The new Three, Iced Earth, Machine Men, Icarus Witch, Dethklok, and Alterbridge will probably make my list too.

zgodt
08-07-2007, 07:36 PM

Holy shit! Why didn't you tell me about this? :eek:

powerslave_85
08-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Holy shit! Why didn't you tell me about this? :eek:
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=6866

You need to start spending more time here ;)

zgodt
08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=6866

You need to start spending more time here ;)

Ah. Half the time I don't bother clicking on that forum because it's mostly ADD blathering about the new wave of scandinavian black metal bands that are only of moderate interest even to diehard fans of scandinavian black metal.

powerslave_85
08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Ah. Half the time I don't bother clicking on that forum because it's mostly ADD blathering about the new wave of scandinavian black metal bands that are only of moderate interest even to diehard fans of scandinavian black metal.
Regardless, you need to pick up both of those albums. If the phrase "acoustic version of God Deciding" doesn't get you to the record store, I don't know what will.

zgodt
08-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Regardless, you need to pick up both of those albums. If the phrase "acoustic version of God Deciding" doesn't get you to the record store, I don't know what will.

The tracks on his myspace page are definitely good. Just not HWM good.

ADD
08-07-2007, 10:03 PM
:lol: :metal: In my defense I think I've only written a couple black metal reviews, and none from Scandinavian bands :D

zgodt
08-08-2007, 04:40 AM
:lol: :metal: In my defense I think I've only written a couple black metal reviews, and none from Scandinavian bands :D

:metal:

overkiller
08-17-2007, 07:12 PM
By the way, come year-end I'm gonna try to do a ADD-style top 50 or maybe 100 (I dunno if I'll hear 100 2007 albums, but we'll see) and try to make at least a brief comment on each (since I'm usually better at that than writing whole reviews).

DethMaiden
08-17-2007, 07:27 PM
By the way, come year-end I'm gonna try to do a ADD-style top 50 or maybe 100 (I dunno if I'll hear 100 2007 albums, but we'll see) and try to make at least a brief comment on each (since I'm usually better at that than writing whole reviews).

I will definitely try to do this as well (not to steal your thunder)

SomewhereInTime72
08-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I'll probably only be able to think of a good top 20 or so. :tongue:

zgodt
08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
I'll probably only be able to think of a good top 20 or so. :tongue:

Perhaps I can manage a top 6 or 7.

ravenheart
08-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Perhaps I can manage a top 6 or 7.

You're only expecting to hear/buy 6 or 7 2007 albums? How dull.

I'll be able to easily do a top 50. Although the top ten will probably all read "Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack".

DethMaiden
08-18-2007, 08:12 AM

I'll be able to easily do a top 50. Although the top ten will probably all read "Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack".

I heard one song from it, sort of a ballady acoustic intro then it picked up and got heavy. It wasn't bad but it definitely didn't stand out for me.

zgodt
08-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Nah, I've heard plenty more. Who knows how many I'll end up having bought. I just don't think more than 6 or 7 (maybe an even 10) are likely to stand out as especially noteworthy. And none of those will probably be metal, so ya'll here won't care anyway. :)

Meanwhile... you're going to set aside a chunk of your life to rank dozens of middling metal albums in precise rank order, and I'm the one who's dull? :lol:

DethMaiden
09-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure my list is basically final. There's just a few albums I missed this year that may shake it up, and the Porcupine Tree EP and Queensryche covers album really shouldn't make a list made up entirely of original studio full-lengths, regardless of how awesome they end up being. So anyway:

4. Rwake- Voices of Omens
5. Blackfield- Blackfield II
7. Rush- Snakes & Arrows
8. Nile- Ithyphallic
9. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
10. Sonata Arctica- Unia

powerslave_85
09-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Mine's changed a bit too:

1. Tegan & Sara- The Con
5. High On Fire- Death Is This Communion
9. Modern Life Is War- Midnight In America
10. White Stripes- Icky Thump

I haven't had the chance to let the new Foo Fighters album sink in yet, but it might end up cracking the top 10. I'm still awaiting the new Dillinger Escape Plan and Lemuria's full length (though I'm not sure if that one will actually come out this year; they only said "winter").

ravenheart
09-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Meanwhile... you're going to set aside a chunk of your life to rank dozens of middling metal albums in precise rank order, and I'm the one who's dull? :lol:

No, I'm not. But I am going to review a lot of them, because it's my job. I'm just saying that I could pull out a sizeable list, because there're a lot more good albums to listen to this year than 6 or 7.

ravenheart
09-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I heard one song from it, sort of a ballady acoustic intro then it picked up and got heavy. It wasn't bad but it definitely didn't stand out for me.

That'll be the single. I like the track, but it's not the best thing on there. There're lots of ideas on there. It's very much a soundtrack, as opposed to a regular rock album. I absolutely love it, I must say.

Bloodcurse
09-16-2007, 04:02 PM
1. Vital Remains - Icons of Evil
2. Nile - Ithypallic
3. Behemoth - The Apostasy
4. Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
5. Immolation - Shadows in the Light
6. King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul..Please
7. Godless Rising - Battle Lords
8. Dekapitator - The Storm Before the Calm
9. Type O Negative - Dead Again
10. Malevolent Creation - Doomsday X

DethMaiden
09-16-2007, 05:34 PM
1. Vital Remains - Icons of Evil

Really? Because aside from the acoustics in "Reborn...the Upheaval of Nihility", I thought it was the most boring death metal album of the year.

Bloodcurse
09-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Really? Because aside from the acoustics in "Reborn...the Upheaval of Nihility", I thought it was the most boring death metal album of the year.

I loved it.

zgodt
09-16-2007, 07:51 PM
But I am going to review a lot of them, because it's my job.
You're a professional reviewer of metal CDs?

ravenheart
09-17-2007, 12:52 AM
You're a professional reviewer of metal CDs?

Not just metal, but yes. And shows.

zgodt
09-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Not just metal, but yes. And shows.

Nice. :) Can you tell us who you write for and/or link to any of your work?

ravenheart
09-17-2007, 07:46 AM
I've linked several times. You lot just don't put 2 and 2 together ;)

This is us: www.jukebo.cx

And soon there will be a new website for ProgPower stuff (you know the ProgPower festival in Atlanta?) run by the organisers of the UK version of the festival. I'll be on there as well. It's launching in the next couple of weeks.

Maiden33
09-18-2007, 05:55 AM
I might be the biggest Waste fan here and I dunno guys... it just wasn't that good :eyes:

Anyway, here's mine... it will probably change.

1. W.A.S.P. - Dominator (I think the formulas Blackie has been using for about 25 years have really run dry)

I put it like this:

Blackie has been trying to musically remake the Crimson Idol ever since it came out. He realized that he struck gold once so he's continuing to mine that location even though there's nothing left to dig for.

Maiden33
09-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Here's a rough list for me:

3.Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
4.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
5.Masterplan - MKII
6.Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
7.Primal Fear - New Religion
8.At Vance - VII
9.Silent Force - Walk the Earth
10.Twisted Tower Dire - Netherworlds

other things of note which I need to give more listens to:
Icarus Witch - Songs For the Lost
Black Majesty - Tommorowland
Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon

still need to hear:
Lord - Ascendance (could very well be one of the best of the year)
new Gamma Ray album
Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos (same as the Lord album)

Dissapointments:
Sonata Arctica - Unia
Thunderstone - Evolution 4.0
Labyrinth - Six Days to Nowhere (not that Freeman was any good either)
Machine Men - Circus of Fools
Symphony X - Paradise Lost (yes, I don't care if I'm the only one)

But overall, my biggest dissapointment this year is that despite how much good stuff has come out, I really don't feel like theres anything mindblowing, unlike last year, which had a couple of incredible albums. I can't even say my #1 album this year is amazing, it's just really good.

Div
09-18-2007, 07:18 AM
I can't form a top 10 list yet, but here's just some other info.

Greatest Discoveries:
Hyades
Slough Feg

Greatest Dissapointments:
Iced Earth
Kamelot

ravenheart
09-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I put it like this:

Blackie has been trying to musically remake the Crimson Idol ever since it came out. He realized that he struck gold once so he's continuing to mine that location even though there's nothing left to dig for.

He was definitely trying that with Neon God. And with Still Not Black Enough, but none of the other albums since Crimson Idol sound anything like it.

Unholy Terror, Dominator and Dying For The World are all excellent albums.

I don't get the Crimson Idol love thing. It's a very average album. Headless Children and the three above all destroy it.

And despite being in the minority, I love KFD as well.

ravenheart
09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos (same as the Lord album)

I have this. I'll let you know.

Maiden33
09-18-2007, 03:07 PM
He was definitely trying that with Neon God. And with Still Not Black Enough, but none of the other albums since Crimson Idol sound anything like it.

Unholy Terror, Dominator and Dying For The World are all excellent albums.

I don't get the Crimson Idol love thing. It's a very average album. Headless Children and the three above all destroy it.

And despite being in the minority, I love KFD as well.

I have Unholy Terror and would definately say it's got that similar musical vibe to a lot of it. Dominator is different, and I've only heard like two songs from Dying For the World.

But I think the Crimson Idol is BY FAR the best thing WASP (Blackie Lawless) has ever done. I like all its predecessors, particularly the self-titled and Headless Children, but The Crimson Idol is one of my top 20 albums bar none and without a doubt my favorite album of theirs. The execution of the recurring themes/conceptual elements is just perfect.

ravenheart
09-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Unholy Terror sounds like a good version of Helldorado to me. Or an updated Headless Children.

Maiden33
09-21-2007, 06:58 AM
I have this. I'll let you know.

Nice. I'm expecting very good things as I thought Holy Hell was fucking brilliant.
The online location I order from just got it in stock so I'll probably be ordering it and a few other things soon.

SomewhereInTime72
10-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Having trouble narrowing it down to 10... but I recently decided on a top 15 that hopefully I'll be able to be more confident with by the end of the year.

1. Amorphis - Silent Waters
2. Symphony X- Paradise Lost
3. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
4. KMFDM - Tohuvabohu
5. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
6. Dir en grey -The Marrow of a Bone
7. King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul...Please
8. Behemoth - The Apostasy
9. Arch Enemy - Rise Of The Tyrant
10. Rush - Snakes & Arrows
11. Megadeth - United Abominations
12. Kamelot - Ghost Opera
13. Menomena - Friend Or Foe
14. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
15. Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (sorry it aint higher, Brad :tongue: this album just doesn't click with me too well, I guess)

I still want to hear Tony Levin's album though.

DethMaiden
10-26-2007, 10:21 AM
15. Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (sorry it aint higher, Brad :tongue: this album just doesn't click with me too well, I guess)

Are you gay or what? :hmm:

:eyes:

Myself, no one but Porcupine Tree, Clutch, Pig Destroyer, and Rwake have guaranteed themselves top 10 positions, and the order isn't down. This is gonna be really hard this year. Plus, I need to hear the new Helloween, Between the Buried and Me, Baroness, and Queensryche (the cover album). We'll see.

Maiden33
10-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Current List for Myself

1.Masterplan - MKII
3.Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
5.Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
6.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
7.Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
8.Primal Fear - New Religion
9.At Vance - VII
10.Icarus Witch - Songs For the Lost

the new Gamma Ray album, Land of the Free II has really impressed me and will definately make this list, I just don't want to prematurely rank it.
Also, I'd like to note I'm still awaiting three very strong contenders yet:
Lord - Ascendance
Astral Doors - New Revelation
Vanishing Point - The Fourth Season

powerslave_85
10-29-2007, 07:18 AM
1. Tegan & Sara- The Con
7. Broadway Calls- Broadway Calls
9. Modern Life Is War- Midnight In America
10. A Wilhelm Scream- Career Suicide

I thought mine was pretty locked in, but I keep hearing random albums by bands I'd never even heard of that turn out to be great. I have a feeling my honorable mention category is gonna be enormous this year.

Fe Maiden
10-29-2007, 08:21 AM
the new Gamma Ray album, Land of the Free II has really impressed me and will definately make this list, I'll have to wait till Jan 08 for this I guess:mad: Anyhow, you really like it?

Div
10-29-2007, 10:34 AM
The new Gamma Ray album is out!?!

EDIT: sweet! its on Pirate Bay!if its anything like their last two albums this will definitley be in my top 5 :metal:

EDIT EDIT: ...as long as brad doesnt be gay and not allow it because its not released in the US till 08 :eyes:

ravenheart
10-29-2007, 12:10 PM
New Gamma Ray is pretty good. Beats the shit out of the new Helloween, that's for sure!

Still not heard anything to better the Sixx:A.M. record.

ravenheart
10-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Vanishing Point - The Fourth Season

Good record. You'll like it.

DethMaiden
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
The new Gamma Ray album is out!?!

EDIT: sweet! its on Pirate Bay!if its anything like their last two albums this will definitley be in my top 5 :metal:

EDIT EDIT: ...as long as brad doesnt be gay and not allow it because its not released in the US till 08 :eyes:

Wherever it comes out first is the year it counts for. So it's legit.

Maiden33
10-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Good record. You'll like it.

Good to hear... if it's anything like the last two albums I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy it. Gonna order it along with one or two other things in about 2-3 weeks.

Maiden33
10-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Yeah, the new Gamma Ray doesn't officially come out till November 16th I believe, in Europe anyway, but I had my friend just download it for me since I didn't feel like waiting and I'm sure to pick it up anyway.
I think it's a fantastic album, and a big improvement over Majestic, in terms of both songwriting and production. It's definately a bit of a return to the more traditional Gamma Ray sound present on the albums like the original Land of the Free and others from the mid-to-late 90s. I plan on writing a full length review of it in the Album Reviews section within the next couple of days, but for now all I'm gonna say is that I'm very impressed and content with it as I'm sure any fan would be.

ravenheart
10-30-2007, 05:50 AM
I have the Gamma Ray disc at home. Only played it once, but it's definitely a cool album.

Mid-November is correct for Europe.

Maiden33
11-02-2007, 06:51 AM
new Helloween

I find myself saying this a lot, but there's much better stuff you'd enjoy a lot more that you should check out first.

ADD
11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I find myself saying this a lot, but there's much better stuff you'd enjoy a lot more that you should check out first.
If anyone is jonesin' for some kickass classic heavy/power metal, the new Slough Feg is absolute dynamite. I'd recommend that over the Helloween myself, though I think "Gambling With The Devil" is pretty cool in its own right.

Maiden33
11-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Current list:
1.Masterplan - MKII
2.Allen/Land - The Revenge
5.Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II
6.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
7.Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
8.Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
9.Primal Fear - New Religion
10.At Vance - VII

Div
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Current list, no order yet determined.

King Diamond
Sodom
Gamma Ray
Therion
Slough Feg
Hyades

got a few slots still open because the other 07 albums ive heard so far havent been top 10 material, i still need to check out some more 07 stuff.

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
1. Tegan & Sara- The Con

One of these things, is not like the others.

DethMaiden
11-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I feel kinda confident about this:

2. Between the Buried and Me- Colors
3. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
5. Rwake- Voices of Omens
7. Blackfield- Blackfield II
8. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
9. Explosions in the Sky- All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
10. Porcupine Tree- Nil Recurring

Biggest honorable mentions to Skeletonwitch- Beyond the Permafrost and Type O Negative- Dead Again

EDIT: But it's also really hard to exclude Sonata Arctica, and the new Behold...the Arctopus was damn good on first listen. Damn, this list could use some rethinking.

powerslave_85
11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
One of these things, is not like the others.
Quit yer complain' ;) After, this is probably the most metal I've had in my top 10 since I started making these lists. Overall, I'd say that this was a better year for metal than it was for the non-metal stuff I listen to, especially after the mediocre efforts by a couple of my favorite bands *cough*AgainstMe!andBadReligion*cough*

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Quit yer complain' ;) After, this is probably the most metal I've had in my top 10 since I started making these lists. Overall, I'd say that this was a better year for metal than it was for the non-metal stuff I listen to, especially after the mediocre efforts by a couple of my favorite bands *cough*AgainstMe!andBadReligion*cough*

I heard an Against Me song the other day....I thought I hated it...but everytime I see the video I cant seem to turn away.....:eyes:

zgodt
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Well what do you know, I have a rough top 10 after all.

1. The Fall of Troy - Manipulator
2. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
3. Pharaohe Monch - Desire
4. XBXRX - Wars
5. Tegan & Sara - The Con
6. Clutch - From Beale St. To Oblivion
7. Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!
8. High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
9. Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
10. They Might Be Giants - The Else (if only for the outstanding videos :bliss: )

SomewhereInTime72
11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Everyone's lists are so different, we're not gonna have a top 10. :tongue::D

Div
11-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I hope it doesn't end up with shit like Underoath on it again :hecho:

zgodt
11-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Actually, I think I metaled up my list for the forum. I'm re-listening to the new Bjork album now and it's better than the Cephalic Carnage or the High on Fire.

DethMaiden
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I hope it doesn't end up with shit like Underoath on it again :hecho:

They didn't make the top ten last year.

DethMaiden
11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Everyone's lists are so different, we're not gonna have a top 10. :tongue::D

I'm not saying anything, but I smell Clutch.

Div
11-07-2007, 06:38 PM
They didn't make the top ten last year.

Thanks to my quickly calculated re-arrangement of my list :allan:

metal_man1019
11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
1)Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
2)Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II
3)King Diamond-Give Me Your Soul...Please
4)Clutch - From Beale St. To Oblivion
5)Porcupine Tree-Fear Of A Blank Planet
6)3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
7)Pig Destroyer-Phantom Limb
8)Amorphis - Silent Waters
9)Municipal Waste- The Art of Partying
10)Symphony X-Paradise Lost

There I'm much more content with this list

ADD
11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
1)Symphony X-Paradise Lost
2)Rush-Snakes And Arrows
3)Dream Theater-Systematic Chaos
4)Ozzy Osbourne-Black Rain
4)Megadeth-United Abominations
5)Porcupine Tree-Fear Of A Black Planet
6)Nile-Ithyphallic
8)Behemoth-The Apostasy
9)Paradise Lost-In Requiem
10)Job For A Cowboy-Genesis

See, now if more people had this kind of voting mentality there would be a problem with the end of year list.

But we don't :cool:

es156
11-08-2007, 02:43 PM
See, now if more people had this kind of voting mentality there would be a problem with the end of year list.

There will always be problems with the year end lists. Any time Opeth wins anything, there is a problem.

metal_man1019
11-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Now looking at my list,I agree with you, my list sucks big time, I also forgot my two of my favourite albums this year Clutches and Redemptions new albums

DethMaiden
11-08-2007, 04:16 PM

His edit looks fine :D

6)Type O negative-Dead Again
10)Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain

EDIT: Except for the erroneous PT album title :hecho:

es156
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
His edit looks fine :D

6)Type O negative-Dead Again
10)Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain

EDIT: Except for the erroneous PT album title :hecho:

Redemption going in at number one is excellent, but I don't think that Symphony X should have dropped off the list entirely.

Maiden33
11-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm sensing a very formidable position for the Redemption album come time for the final list... we've got a couple big fans of that album on this board. (And rightfully so)

metal_man1019
11-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Redemption going in at number one is excellent, but I don't think that Symphony X should have dropped off the list entirely.

Well im questioning if I should switch Ozzys Black Rain for Paradise Lost, because I really dont wanna change anything else

es156
11-09-2007, 05:10 AM
I'm sensing a very formidable position for the Redemption album come time for the final list... we've got a couple big fans of that album on this board. (And rightfully so)

It will be my #1 unless something comes out of the blue and knocks it out.

:blaze:

Maiden33
11-09-2007, 06:54 AM
It will be my #1 unless something comes out of the blue and knocks it out.

:blaze:

It's looking at like #4 or 5 on my list, which is still a very worthy position, as my list is starting to get filled with a lot of great albums.

ravenheart
11-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Type O Negative- Dead Again

Man, that album blows. Not as much as the previous one, but it's still shit.

DethMaiden
11-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Man, that album blows. Not as much as the previous one, but it's still shit.

Wrong. It's not gonna make my ten though, the new Baroness eliminated the possibility. Jesus, it's amazing. I think I'm done hearing new stuff this year so I have to figure out how to rank these and I'm good:

Clutch, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Pig Destroyer, Baroness, Between the Buried and Me, Explosions in the Sky, 3 Inches of Blood, Rwake, Novembers Doom

Div
11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I still need 3 more albums for my top 10....

ravenheart
11-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Wrong.

Not at all. What's wrong is Type O Negative making shitty 'bright' albums. Their lyrics might still be the tongue in cheek morbidity it used to be, but their songs just suck now. They practically sound happy.

Get a teenager singing for them and they're some pop punk shit like Taking Back Sunday, or whatever. They're not even heavy anymore.

ravenheart
11-15-2007, 02:56 AM
I'm not done with new stuff this year yet, but the likely top ten at this stage (not in order yet) is:

Sixx:A.M.
Symphony X
Vanishing Point
McQueen
Down
Volbeat
Abandoned
Nightwish
Hellyeah
Candlemass

I've got plenty more to listen to before 31/12 though, so there's every chance it'll all change. Only absolutely definite fixture is Sixx:A.M.

DethMaiden
11-15-2007, 05:06 AM
I'm not done with new stuff this year yet, but the likely top ten at this stage (not in order yet) is:

Sixx:A.M.
Symphony X
Vanishing Point
McQueen
Down
Volbeat
Abandoned
Nightwish
Hellyeah
Candlemass

I've got plenty more to listen to before 31/12 though, so there's every chance it'll all change. Only absolutely definite fixture is Sixx:A.M.

The poll runs 1/1-14/1, fyi.

ravenheart
11-15-2007, 05:42 AM
14/1 for rankings to be in, or 14/1 for albums to be released?

DethMaiden
11-15-2007, 05:46 AM
14/1 for rankings to be in, or 14/1 for albums to be released?

For rankings to be in, sorry. The album still has to have been released in 2007.

ravenheart
11-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Cool. That's makes sense then ;)

greenReaper
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
MACHINE HEAD- THE BLACKENING
Skeletonwitch- Beyond the Permafrost
Daath- The Hinderers
Behemoth- The Apostasy
Divine Heresy- Bleed the Fifth
Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
DevilDriver- The Last Kind Words
Nile- Ithyphallic
Chimaira- Ressurection
Dethklok- The Dethalbum
Nine Inch Nails- Year Zero

These are in no particular order other than Machine Head being #1. I wasn't a fan before this album and it blew me away... there's still plenty of albums I haven't gotten to yet this year

ADD
11-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm gonna play spoiler and withold my votes 'till the last day :cool:

DethMaiden
11-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm gonna play spoiler and withold my votes 'till the last day :cool:

:lol: Dick.

Maiden33
11-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Man, I've still got a ton of thinking, listening, and considering to do before I can really get a solid list.

ravenheart
11-29-2007, 02:36 AM
It seems there's going to be at least two late entries in my top ten. Much more listening to be done yet!

Maiden33
11-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Most recent configuration... this is in absolutely no order:

Masterplan - MKII
Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
Allen/Lande - The Revenge
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
Lord - Ascendance
Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
Steve Grimmet Band - Personal Crisis
Astral Doors - New Revelation

DethMaiden
12-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Before work today I got bored enough to write this:

1. Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet (Atlantic): Since 1999’s Stupid Dream, Steven Wilson has been moving away from ambience and towards more spacey, heavier prog compositions, and Fear is the sound of him perfecting his new style.
2. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion (DRT): Immersing themselves even more deeply (in sound and namesake) in the blues on Beale Street, Clutch have succeeded in making the most consistent album of their storied career.
3. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb (Relapse): Not since Scum has a pummeling whirlwind of extreme metal been so eloquently captured in such a short album. J.R. Hayes also wins lyricist of the year award, with his twisted re-imagining of the Dostoevskian anti-hero.
4. Between the Buried and Me- Colors (Victory): Combining every genre under the sun in an eight-part, one hour song seems pretentious, and frankly, is. But Between the Buried and Me do it with an eye for detail and the technical ecstasy never outweighs the great songwriting.
5. Baroness- Red Album (Relapse): In combining all of the best parts of Mastodon and Isis, Savannah natives Baroness’ debut full-length shows youthful greatness, but also the unbridled potential to grow.
6. Blackfield- Blackfield II (We Put Out): Steven Wilson again. This time he’s writing poppy dark rock songs with Israeli star Aviv Geffen, and doing so wonderfully.
7. Witchcraft- The Alchemist (Candlelight): Like Sabbath? Of course you do, you’re reading this. Like Danzig? Again, probably. Put both through a particle accelerator and add a healthy dosage of Sweden-isms and, voila, you have Witchcraft’s latest old-school long-player.
8. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades (Roadrunner): Heavy, fun, and impossibly headbang-worthy, Fire Up the Blades is the culmination of everything this Canadian sextet has been trying to do since they started.
9. Explosions in the Sky- All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (Temporary Residence): Popular opinion holds that post-rock should be cold, distant, and ultimately minimalist. With Everyone, the genre’s household name both reaffirms and puts to death this notion, writing six beautiful, interesting compositions that are anything but background music.
10. Novembers Doom- The Novella Reservoir (The End): Novembers Doom are an anomaly on this list. With their latest doom metal opus, they have done nothing that hasn’t been done before. It’s the skill with which they pull off their genre of choice that makes this album so good.

Disappointments:
1. The Red Chord- Prey for Eyes (Metal Blade): The follow up to 2005’s modern classic Clients should have been the album of the year, the sound of one of the best young metal bands coming into their own. Instead it was a cop-out, a Job For a Cowboy bandwagon-jumping piece of blithe, boring deathcore.
2. Devin Townsend- Ziltoid the Omniscient (Inside Out): Devin Townsend is undoubtedly a genius. He has the ability to make some of the best music in the world, and without assistance from others. He also has a propensity to go way too far, and this goofy space opera is the pinnacle of that recklessness.
3. Queensrÿche- Take Cover (Rhino): No one told Queensrÿche that if you’re going to record a covers album, it should at least match the originals, if not improve upon them. I’ve never been so close to being a Police fan as when I heard their pathetic cover of “Synchronity II”. Although I do give them props for doing a rendition of Black Sabbath’s “Neon Knights”: it must have been a stretch considering they haven’t been metal for nineteen years.
4. Vital Remains- Icons of Evil (Century Media): I fell asleep during this album’s unnecessarily long songs and woke up while they were still playing. And I had just awakened from a nap at that point. Glen Benton must think that as long as he hates on Jesus, everything else will fall into place. Not so, this is the most boring death metal album I have ever heard.
5. Megadeth- United Abominations (Roadrunner): This only barely makes the list, because let’s face it, it’s not a disappointment if you fully expected it to blow. But seriously, Dave, “from New Yorqatar to Califarabia”? Are you kidding me? This turd makes Risk look like the long-awaited follow-up to Rust in Peace.

powerslave_85
12-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Ah what the hell, I'll copy Brad ;)

1. Tegan & Sara- The Con
A pop album from lesbian Canadian identical twins doesn't seem like the kind of record that would show up on someone from this board's list, but these two are absolutely impeccable songwriters and lyricists, who have a special gift for putting heartbreaking lyrics to a ridiculously catchy melody. Completely genius from beginning to end.
I remember thinking to myself, "Terrifyer was one of the most insane, fucked up albums I've ever heard. No way they'll top it." Boy was I wrong. Phantom Limb continues the Pig Destroyer tradition of grabbing you by the throat and never, ever letting up on the brutality.
These guys may have started out as kind of a joke band that sang about Orcs a lot, but with the help of the drummer from Slipknot, of all people, they've matured into a hard-hitting and extremely talented metal group. Definitely the head-bangingest, most air guitar-worth album of the year. The opening riff to "Night Maruaders" might be the best metal riff of the last few years.
The gravelly-voiced singer of punk legends Hot Water Music goes off in a totally different direction, channeling Johnny Cash and Woody Guthrie in a brilliant, heartfelt American folk record with plenty of hooks and great guest musicians.
This is another band that I didn't think could get anymore awesome or heavy, but goddamnit they did. They throw in a little more melody and experimentation this time around, but that pummeling rhythm section and ferocious guitar work is just as present as ever. Did we really need 3 instrumental tracks, though?
If you ask me, Clutch is the best rock band in America right now. Their combination of good old fashioned rock and roll and some genuine blues sensabilities means that any album they put out is guaranteed to be a good time.
7. Broadway Calls- Broadway Calls
Who said that real pop-punk was dead? Showing influences from the likes of Green Day, Jawbreaker, and Saves the Day, these newcomers from Portland debut with an unbelievably fun and catchy record that's really getting peoples' attention.
It might have been easy to write off Himsa as a crappy metalcore band a few years ago, but now they're a well-oiled thrash machine. The riffs are as huge as ever, and Johnny Pettibone's vocals are even more venomous than usual.
9. Streetlight Manifesto- Somewhere In the Between
Everyone's been waiting ages for this ska-punk group to put out their sophomore album, but since they had their gear stolen twice on the same tour, it's understandable why it took so long. It was worth the wait, as all of the elements that make this band great are here, from the amazing hooks to the flawless horn section.
10. A Wilhelm Scream- Career Suicide
I'd never even heard of this band until a couple of months ago, but they're a really great, under-the-radar kind of band. They have old school punk influences, but with the flashy guitar work of a band like Strung Out, not to mention great lyrics and plenty of catchy choruses.

Biggest Disappointments:

Bad Religion- New Maps of Hell
BR were starting to become a little mediocre after Brett rejoined the band back around 2000, but now they've turned the corner to just being plain bad. The number of memorable songs can be counted on one hand, and with lyrics like "immaculate ejaculate in space," it's clear that the songwriting has gotten completely ridiculous.

Against Me!- New Wave
Initially, I felt this was as big a clunker as the Bad Religion album, but it has managed to grow on me quite a bit. Still, it's a huge step backwards for a band that once wrote masterpieces like "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong" and "Cliche Guevara." There are bright spots, though, like the fantastic "Thrash Unreal" and Tegan's guest vocals on "Borne on the FM Waves of the Heart."

DethMaiden
12-01-2007, 06:51 PM
We actually share three! That's bizarre as we're generally as opposite taste-wise as any two folks on here.

ravenheart
12-03-2007, 02:46 AM
I think the Emigrate album is going to make mine. If you like Rammstein, check it out. It's Rammstein in English with guitar solos!

Maiden33
12-03-2007, 06:53 AM
I started writing condensed (approx. a paragraph) reviews of all the shows and CDs I attended and familarized myself with this year - to be posted as a topic on here and as a blog elsewhere in approximately 2-3 weeks. A lot of work. I didn't attend too many shows this year (like 10-12 I think) but the CD list looks like about 40 as of now, which is much more for me than in past years.

Maiden33
12-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Before work today I got bored enough to write this:

1. Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet (Atlantic): Since 1999’s Stupid Dream, Steven Wilson has been moving away from ambience and towards more spacey, heavier prog compositions, and Fear is the sound of him perfecting his new style.
2. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion (DRT): Immersing themselves even more deeply (in sound and namesake) in the blues on Beale Street, Clutch have succeeded in making the most consistent album of their storied career.
3. Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb (Relapse): Not since Scum has a pummeling whirlwind of extreme metal been so eloquently captured in such a short album. J.R. Hayes also wins lyricist of the year award, with his twisted re-imagining of the Dostoevskian anti-hero.
4. Between the Buried and Me- Colors (Victory): Combining every genre under the sun in an eight-part, one hour song seems pretentious, and frankly, is. But Between the Buried and Me do it with an eye for detail and the technical ecstasy never outweighs the great songwriting.
5. Baroness- Red Album (Relapse): In combining all of the best parts of Mastodon and Isis, Savannah natives Baroness’ debut full-length shows youthful greatness, but also the unbridled potential to grow.
6. Blackfield- Blackfield II (We Put Out): Steven Wilson again. This time he’s writing poppy dark rock songs with Israeli star Aviv Geffen, and doing so wonderfully.
7. Witchcraft- The Alchemist (Candlelight): Like Sabbath? Of course you do, you’re reading this. Like Danzig? Again, probably. Put both through a particle accelerator and add a healthy dosage of Sweden-isms and, voila, you have Witchcraft’s latest old-school long-player.
8. 3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades (Roadrunner): Heavy, fun, and impossibly headbang-worthy, Fire Up the Blades is the culmination of everything this Canadian sextet has been trying to do since they started.
9. Explosions in the Sky- All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (Temporary Residence): Popular opinion holds that post-rock should be cold, distant, and ultimately minimalist. With Everyone, the genre’s household name both reaffirms and puts to death this notion, writing six beautiful, interesting compositions that are anything but background music.
10. Novembers Doom- The Novella Reservoir (The End): Novembers Doom are an anomaly on this list. With their latest doom metal opus, they have done nothing that hasn’t been done before. It’s the skill with which they pull off their genre of choice that makes this album so good.[/I]

And...

TA-DA! The transformation is complete. We have nothing close to anything in common on our lists.

ravenheart
12-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Hah, ditto except possibly Witchcraft.

Clutch definitely not. Laziest album they've ever made.

metal_man1019
12-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Im updating my list:

3)3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
6)Machine Head-The Blackening

DethMaiden
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Clutch definitely not. Laziest album they've ever made.

Where you see lazy I see laid-back. I love the sound they honed.

powerslave_85
12-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Fanboy ;)

DethMaiden
12-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Fanboy ;)

It's in someone else's list around here too ;)

powerslave_85
12-03-2007, 03:04 PM
It's in someone else's list around here too ;)
I'm not saying it wasn't great. I'm saying you're a fanboy :D

DethMaiden
12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm not saying it wasn't great. I'm saying you're a fanboy :D

No arguments from me there. Thanks for the clarification :tongue:

ADD
12-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Beale St. is a great album and deserves to make the top 10.

ravenheart
12-04-2007, 01:56 AM

Really? The sound where they've thrown away all of the groove that made them Clutch? That sound?

They can be laid back and still groove. Most of this album sounds like they didn't even bother. A rehash of One Eye Dollar case in point.

Beale Street has four songs (Mr Shiny Cadilackness, Electric Worry, White's Ferry and Child of The City) which actually sound like Clutch wrote them, and two more which are passable (Opossum Minister and Rapture of Ridley Walker). The rest could be any number of others bands. Especially the first two.

I saw them on the tour too. Mr Shiny Cadilackness was the only standout track from the new ones.

Witchcraft blew them away as support.

Maiden33
12-04-2007, 06:50 AM

:party: :dance:

Human_Metal
12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
1. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
2. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
3. Iron Savior - Megatropolis
4. Grave Digger - Liberty or Death
5. King Diamond - Give me your Soul...Please
6. Axxis - Doom of Destiny
7. Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
8. Mystic Prophecy - Satanic Curses
9. Megadeth - United Abominations
10. Sabaton - Metalizer

I have Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin which i havn't listen to yet and i will try to get hold of atleast a couple of these:

Sinner - Mask Of Sanity
Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
Iron Fire - Blade Of Triumph
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Morgana Lefay - Aberrations Of The Mind
Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos

This means that the list can still change a lot.

SomewhereInTime72
12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=86092

LOL

ravenheart
12-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm with him on Every Time I Die. Immense album.

Picking The Complete Led Zeppelin is a bit of a cop-out. And putting your girlfriend's EP in there as well? Yeah, we don't see through that one, Scott.

He's right though, it does rock.

Div
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=86092

LOL

Didnt blood mountain come out last year?

SomewhereInTime72
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Didnt blood mountain come out last year?

Yes.

Nick
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Can quickly skim ratings or read the reviews, up to you. :)

If you do read the reviews there are references to people elsewhere so just ignore them.

Worst Album of 2007
Sonata Arctica - Unia - 3/10
Me and my friends had all gotten hooked on Sonata Arctica in the last year or two, and if we weren't impressed at the time, when For The Sake of Revenge came onto the scene we were all anxious for the day we'd be able to see SA live. So for many of us Unia was a very highly anticipated release for the year, and for me and my friends at least, it was a huge disappointment. The power, the edge, the sound of older Sonata seemed to be lost in this album. Just a simply uninspired boring album from start to finish.

Runner Up Worst Album
Labyrinth - Six Days to Nowhere - 4.5/10
I've been a huge Labyrinth fan for a long time now. Album to album they had to this point always managed to significantly change their sound while maintaining an excellent standard of quality music. For the most part this album left the power/prog metal scene entirely and focussed on a more hard rock approach. It failed miserably. Not only did their attempt at the sound fail most of the time, when they left the sound they went again into an all new direction... death metal. The two very positive points are the opener Crossroads, and the Come Together cover.

The Rest
Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura - 6/10
Having all of Neal's other solo efforts I was certainly expecting a lot of this record, and unfortunately that's perhaps why it was such a let down for me. Coming off of ? my favorite album of his I found this just all in all boring at times. Other times I felt the old flare was there but just too often it relapsed into uninteresting.

The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning of, and All Things Regarding Ms. Leading - 6/10
Obviously some fresh stuff here. What strikes me everytime I listen to it tho is the mix. Drums are too high, especially certain cymbals, and for me it just bugs me enough to take away a bit from the overall quality of the music. Writing is good but nothing spectacular, and I'd definitely say this is probably the single most overrated release of the year.

Liquid Trio Experiment - Spontaneous Combustion - 7/10
I know people are gonna instantly bitch the second they see this ranked better than the album reviewed above it, but oh well. What can I say, not a fantastic album, but how nice it is to hear three virtuoso's just going at what they love. When you listen to this too you can really get a feel of what went into the creative process for the Liquid Tension Experiment albums as well. Not something I'm going to listen to everyday, but certainly something worth pushing the dust aside for every so often to once again hear the things three individuals can do on the spot.

Planet X - Quantum - 7/10
Another album for when I'm just in the mood to be entertained, when I want something special, something different. Always somebody peaking out of a corner of the music to come up front and make you take notice. Instrumental music that never gets boring as admittedly LTE does at times for me.

Fair to Midland - Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True - 8/10
Although they sound nothing alike, my review of this album will be more like my review for Amorphis than you'd expect. It boils down to this, when I love it I fucking love it, and when I don't I really don't. As with most things what gets to me at times are sub-par vocals, but when I'm not being annoyed I'm being amazed. Music is fresh light and dark and well blended. Only at rare times does the music annoy me and certainly not enough to detract from the album.

Symphony X - Paradise Lost - 4/5
Album starts very very strong, peaks at the title track, and then fades into a decent finish. But when it's on it's on. The first four tracks rip like any other you'll hear from the band and Russell Allen gives an amazing vocal performance as always. One of my friends biggest complaints is definitely one I can see showing up in the last half of the album, lack of noticeable keyboards. The album is definitely more guitar driven then previous efforts and I do think that hurt it a tad. Overall tho still a solid album and one I certainly won't shy from playing.

Blackfield - Blackfield II - 8/10
I'll save the story for the live section, but my first introduction to this band other than a few samples and a myspace song or two was seeing them live in March after going to the show to see Jordan Rudess. Seeing Blackfield inspired me to pick up this CD, and I was not disapointed. A very sad album, one I can only play if I'm in the right mood. The music manages to be both highly simplistic most of the time and yet highly emotional. You can feel and move with the album and for someone who usually doesn't pay much attention to lyrics it still manages to pull you into them much of the time.

Amorphis - Silent Waters - 8/10
I hate growling. That said, it's my only complaint with the album. As with Eclipse the music of Amorphis is stunning from the album's start to its finish. Intricate and interesting guitar and keyboard work led by often great clean vocals leave many a melody etched into your head for some time. I honestly think if it wasn't for the growling which occurs way too often on this album, it might have been my favorite release of the year.

Jordan Rudess - Road Home - 8/10
As someone who was not a huge fan of some of the things Jordan has "Jordified" in DT's live songs since joining the band I was really impressed with this disc. The classics are nicely re-produced, updated, and given a nice dose of new sound that more often than not works very well. Jordan has some nice vocalists come in to help him and the whole album feels like a constant trip between the past and the present. Personal favorite is Tarkus.

Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring - 8/10
An interesting follow up to Fear of a Blank Planet, Nil Recurring takes you to a different side of PT's latest writing session. Songs seem a little more abstract, and the sense of direction seen on Fear is lost on this record. However the music is still top notch, the title track and Normal being stand-outs for me.

Dead Soul Tribe - A Lullaby for the Devil - 8.5/10
I've wanted a DST album ever since 2004 when I first heard Devon perform on The Human Equation. Somehow throughout the years I just never bought a CD. Finally with 2007 brought the excellent excuse of a new release to finally get myself an album. I'm sorry I waited so long. Devon is my man on the way I like my music textured. The blending of instruments, and often his voice into those instruments is superb. He is one guy I often don't mind so much when his voice gets rough, and when it's clean it's very warm and always adds nicely to things. Instrumental sections are well done and the album really functions well as a whole.

Circus Maximus - Isolate - 8.5/10
It's everything I like, interesting song-writing, an interesting and good sounding voice, a dash of wankery for flavor, and a solid album that keeps you interested all the way through. Anyone who says this is just a band ripping off the sound of Dream Theater obviously hasn't listened to this album with open ears. What The 1st Chapter started in forging the sound of Circus Maximus this album finishes, and they made their own sound, and quickly excelling at it.

The Flower Kings - The Sum of No Evil - 8.5/10
After getting into Transatlantic years ago, and after picking up Roine's latest studio album when it came out, I can't believe it was only a few months ago that I picked up Paradox Hotel. That album was familiar sounds but definitely it's own niche in all my music, and I love it! I can almost say the same for this album. It is more reserved, and unfortunately with that it seems to be less interesting as well. Roine can do light aggressive music (makes little sense, I know) like no one else I know, and I hope we see more of it in the future. That said this album was no disappointment! Beautiful textured work throughout fans of the King's material are gonna enjoy this.

Dominici - O3: A Trilogy, Part Two - 8.5/10
I'm one of the few who loved Charlie's voice back in the day, and I love it now. Coming off what I thought was a phenomenal acoustic album Charlie surrounded himself with some excellent music and put out a prog-metal follow up that is absolutely killer! Album opens with a monster instrumental that lets you know the band is not a rag tag group of misfits. Songwriting is top notch throughout and some of my only major complaints are surprisingly some of Charlie's choices for vocal lines/melodies. Never a problem in the past there just come parts where I cringe, but other than that it is fantastic.

Rush - Snakes and Arrows - 8.5/10
Show me one other band that 33 years after their first album puts out a disc of this quality. I was not only quite happy with this album, I was shocked by it. Test For Echo I like a lot, but overall it's not regarded as one of Rush's best, and if the Rush Power Album Game here is any indication, it may very well be regarded as their worst. Then Neil had his troubles, the band took a long break, but finally the guys got back together. Then after the longest writing and recording process in Rush history Vapor Trails appeared. Not only was this the only average Rush album in my opinion, it was easily the worst sounding Rush album too. So going into Snakes and Arrows I was just praying for improvement. Then Rush announced their new producer, a man who had worked with bands I was not all that fond of, and my hopes grew dim. Then the album came and I was blown away. True it didn't live up to the hype the band tried to put out about it being like old school Rush, but just as good it was new, fresh, and totally kick ass! Far Cry lights up at the start of the album and kicks an awesome album into gear. Return of synthesizers very welcome by me, as I think used in any amount they were better than when not used on Vapor Trails. Song writing is fantastic and the band added three new instrumentals to its already impressive list.

Threshold - Dead Reckoning - 9/10
Well once again a Threshold record that has a core sound pretty much like all the others. One might think this is a complaint, and it is a minor one, but when their core sound is quite awesome, well then it’s mostly a compliment. Up front obvious guitar riffs leading very precise drumming and led by the soaring vocals of Mac this is Threshold doing what we’d expect and doing it well. If your looking for the most innovative music in the world, look away. But if you’re looking for an album and a band that straight out rocks with a heavy prog-metal sound then this is the place to go.

Kaddisfly - Set Sail the Prairie - 9/10
Interesting. Since I bought this album under pressure from DTF I have not been able to classify it. That’s a good thing. The album has a very consistent sound to it throughout, yet I would have a hard time picking out or explaining what that sound is. Whatever it is, I like it.

5th Best of 2007
Pain of Salvation - Scarsick - 9/10
Well people will probably be surprised to see this up this high, so let me first say I could care less about lyrics. To me this album keeps my attention better than my other two PoS discs (Entropia and TPE1) and the aggressive style displayed often by Daniel works well on the disc. Disco Queen I took as a joke at first, but then realized how good some of the music in it is, and how great the rest is, and now it’s my favorite track on the album. Although often over the top Daniel does a fantastic job of showcasing that you don’t need to make a shitty album of growls to sound angry, emotional, or dark.

4th Best of 2007
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet - 9/10
Awesome album for the most part. As with all the PT albums I have there is a beautiful layering and texturing of synth and guitar throughout. Drumming is insane, intricate, and top notch. My only complaints really are that Anesthetize can drag just a tad in the first and last sections, but that is easily made up for in a fantastic middle section that is easily the highlight of the album.

3rd Best of 2007
Amaran's Plight - Voice in the Light - 9.5/10
Nick D’Virgilio, D.C. Cooper, and Gary Wehrkamp. Who would have guessed this was going to be awesome? I happened to find about this album back when I spent a month actually trying to get into myspace. Through either Gary’s myspace or Cooper’s I happened onto a link to this band who was putting forth their first effort. At first it was only available through a small special prog label and I had no problem putting out the $17 with shipping it would cost to get my hands on this as early as possible, and I was not disappointed. Musically it reminds me of a slightly lighter Shadow Gallery led by the amazing vocals of D.C. Cooper. This talk about D.C. reminds me that I still need to pick up the new Silent Force album. Borrowed it from a friend, once I purchase it, it will go in the top third of this list.

2nd Best of 2007
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin - 9.5/10
\m/ is perhaps the best way to describe this disc. From the opening of Suffocating Silence to the end of Fall On You Redemption manages to push forward with an aggressive metal sound that reminds me of Fates Warning and early Queensrÿche. I’m sure the amazing vocals of Ray Alder help make the comparison even easier. His voice constantly demands your attention and brings you back into the fold. Whenever I first throw on the disc I can’t hear, “and the dam’s about to BREAK” without being brought to full attention and really getting into the opening tune. The album remains consistent throughout and makes for one great piece of metal.

Best Album of 2007
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos - 9.5/10
Well the first things I heard off this album did not leave me too expectant. Constant Motion reminded me way too much of Metallica and I couldn’t really get into it, and The Dark Eternal Night just didn’t sit well with me for whatever reason. Combine that with the fact that Octavarium, an album I loved at first, had done nothing but slipped down for me since its release and you can see why I was having serious doubts about this album. Then the big turnaround point came on May 23rd. On the trip to see PT in Philly Jen came in contact with an advance copy of Systematic Chaos, signed by MP himself. So of course I spent the following car rides and hotel time with her and Bill listening to the new album. No surprise songs like In the Presence of Enemies left a much more positive impression on me, and from that point till the album release CM and TDEN also grew on me immensely. After hearing those songs in Philly I didn’t actually listen to them again until the Friday before the album came out, when I was able to pick myself up a copy at a favorite place of mine. From then on the album has done nothing but grow on me. And after seeing several songs live the album grew on me ever more. Even the weak points, The Ministry of Lost Souls and Repentance are good songs. In the Presence of Enemies is a masterpiece, Forsaken is different from all DT before it and wonderful; Prophets of War is a highly underrated gem for me. Not Dream Theater’s best still manages to be better than most, which may explain why I love them so much.

DethMaiden
12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I think it's funny that no matter your disagreement points among each other tastewise, you guys (meaning you, Jeff, and John mainly I suppose) all despise any non-clean vocals. ;)

Glad to see FoaBP so high though :fist:

Nick
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Haha, yeah, that's one thing we all generally agree on. I've learned to ignore it in small doses if the music is good enough, but generally they aren't for me. Back in May I cought FoaBP played in its entirety, and in October I saw 4 tracks again including Anesthetize.

DethMaiden
12-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Haha, yeah, that's one thing we all generally agree on. I've learned to ignore it in small doses if the music is good enough, but generally they aren't for me. Back in May I cought FoaBP played in its entirety, and in October I saw 4 tracks again including Anesthetize.

I think with time you'll just realize that it's an artful form of vocalization all on its own and that it's almost more progressive to use them because clean singing has largely been said and done. Or not ;)

I saw them in October and while the FoaBP songs were great, "Even Less" and "Trains" stole the fucking show :drool:

Nick
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I got Trains back in May and it was fantastic, so simple and yet so beautiful and such a crowd pleaser.

We got Even Less in October and I was thrilled, although personally I was hoping for Shesmovedon which was also making its rounds as the encore opener. I won't say that you can't argue death vocals aren't "progressive" in one sense of the word, but they do sound like shit 95% of the time, and even if we settle on the fact that they are progressive, one still must realize more progressive does not always equal better.

es156
12-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I think with time you'll just realize that it's an artful form of vocalization all on its own and that it's almost more progressive to use them because clean singing has largely been said and done. Or not ;)

I saw them in October and while the FoaBP songs were great, "Even Less" and "Trains" stole the fucking show :drool:

I am going to have to disagree with both of these statements. The first one just because it is a matter of taste with vocals (and your taste buds are obviously becoming deadened). The second one because Anesthetize absolutely ruled live.

Nick
12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
If I had to pick songs that ruled live they would be Blackest Eyes, Trains, The Sound of Musak, Nil Recurring, Anesthetize, Halo, Lightbulb Sun, Sever, and A Smart Kid.

es156
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
If I had to pick songs that ruled live they would be Blackest Eyes, Trains, The Sound of Musak, Nil Recurring, Anesthetize, Halo, Lightbulb Sun, Sever, and A Smart Kid.

I really have no complaints because the entire show was excellent. However, I was slightly disappointed that we did not get to hear Nil Recurring.

Nick
12-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Wow, that's quite surprising, they played that at most of the American shows. Personally I was disapointed they were not playing Normal at all, which is my favorite off the Nil Recurring EP.

es156
12-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow, that's quite surprising, they played that at most of the American shows. Personally I was disapointed they were not playing Normal at all, which is my favorite off the Nil Recurring EP.

I think they were rotating Nil Recurring with another song, maybe Cheating The Polygraph.

Nick
12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Hmm. From what I saw Nil Recurring, Cheating the Polygraph, and What Happens Now? where being played during most shows.

es156
12-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Hmm. From what I saw Nil Recurring, Cheating the Polygraph, and What Happens Now? where being played during most shows.

They mixed up the set list a lot on the last leg of the U.S. tour. One of the guys on the PT board actually created a spreadsheet that tracked all of the songs played at each show. I don't have the final copy of it but the one that I have showed that Nil Recurring was only played at half of the shows up to that point. I will have to get a copy of the final version just out of curiosity.

Nick
12-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Ah, okay. Well in that case...

I got Nil Recurring. :D

ADD
12-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Witchcraft blew them away as support.

I could see that, its not easy to follow up a band like Witchcraft live, even for Clutch. Witchcraft put on one of the best live performances I've seen this year, I'm talking like top 5.

overkiller
12-10-2007, 05:22 PM
My list is looking like this for the time being, but there's still plenty of room for shifting. I'm finding that at this point, albums that started out great have lost momentum throughout the year, and albums that at first didn't impress me have opened up and grown on me.

1. Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
2. Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
3. Tegan and Sara - The Con
4. Ride for Revenge - The King of Snakes
5. Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying
6. Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
7. Zemial - In Monumentum
8. Darkthrone - F.O.A.D.
9. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
10. Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment

DethMaiden
12-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I think I'm finally done with mine as well:

4. Baroness- Red Album
5. Between the Buried and Me- Colors
6. Blackfield- Blackfield II
7. Redemption- The Origins of Ruin
8. Witchcraft- The Alchemist
10. Explosions in the Sky- All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

ADD
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I think I'm finally done with mine as well:

4. Baroness- Red Album
5. Between the Buried and Me- Colors
6. Blackfield- Blackfield II
7. Redemption- The Origins of Ruin
8. Witchcraft- The Alchemist
10. Explosions in the Sky- All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

Oh my god are you kidding me where is the fucking Rwake album you suck.

powerslave_85
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
OMG :lol: I'm going to LOVE IT if Tegan & Sara make our final list this year :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
I've got nothing in common with a lot of the people I sorta expected to. :eyes:

DethMaiden
12-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Oh my god are you kidding me where is the fucking Rwake album you suck.

Very close. Like 11th place close. But not quite.

I've got nothing in common with a lot of the people I sorta expected to. :eyes:

Like me? :tongue:

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Like me? :tongue:

Yeah basically. :eyes: :tongue: But I also thought I'd end up with one or two in common with Brady.

Our individual tastes are too unique. It's time for brainwashing. :hmm:

metal_man1019
12-11-2007, 02:39 AM
This is my final list

3)3 Inches of Blood- Fire Up the Blades
6)Witchcraft- The Alchemist

ravenheart
12-11-2007, 02:59 AM
My list is looking less and less likely to change, but there's still time (since I have the new Witchcraft at home unlistened)

1. Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack
2. Nation Beyond - The Aftermath Odyssey
3. Emigrate - Emigrate
4. Wall of Sleep - ...And Hell Followed With Him
5. Volbeat - Rock The Rebel/Metal The Devil
6. Candlemass - King of The Grey Islands
7. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
8. Abandoned - Thrash You!
9. Hellyeah - Hellyeah
10. McQueen - Break The Silence

Those bottom three are definitely not final. Candlemass might find itself slipping out too.

Maiden33
12-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Current list, still subject to change:

1.Masterplan - MKII
2.Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
4.Lord - Ascendance
5.Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II
6.Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
7.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
8.Allen / Lande - the Revenge
9.Steve Grimmet Band - Personal Crisis
10.Astral Doors - New Revelation

es156
12-11-2007, 08:04 AM
1. Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack
2. Nation Beyond - The Aftermath Odyssey

I finally heard The Heroin Diaries. It is surprisingly good. I really like the singer's voice. I am not sure where it will land on my list yet.

I just heard about Nation Beyond last week. I like the songs on their MySpace so far. I am assuming that since you have it at number 2 on your list, the rest of the CD is just as good.

ADD
12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Redemption are not that good come on :rolleyes:

SomewhereInTime72
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM

I've been thinking this about 3IOB for like the past few months.

ADD
12-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Well yeah I mean 3IOB are not that good, but at least they are fucking good :cool: Redemption on the other hand, fucking zzzzzzzzzzzz whatever. Not bad at all but I can't figure out why basically everyone has it in their top 10.

DethMaiden
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot, opinions are objective. :tp:

overkiller
12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
3IOB are 4th from the bottom on my list of about 70 albums.

Also, the new Jesu has crept up and will make top 10 I'd say.

powerslave_85
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Looks like the new Municipal Waste finally grew on you, Brady. And I fucking love it that you have Tegan & Sara at #3. AHAHA.

ADD
12-11-2007, 06:47 PM
I've got well over 100 albums to decide from so my list its pretty much gonna be impossible to do objectively, that's why I'm waiting 'till the end to see what albums I can boost and what I can help aid in the push, cuz there's sooooooooooooo many worthy albums that came out this year.

es156
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM

:ass:

Maiden33
12-21-2007, 06:23 AM
The newest version of my top 10:

1.Masterplan - MKII
2.Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
3.Vanishing Point - The Fourth Season
4.Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
5.Lord - Ascendance
6.Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II
7.Eden's Curse - Eden's Curse
8.Pink Cream 69 - In10sity
9.Bloodbound - Book of the Dead
10.Astral Doors - New Revelation or Steve Grimmet Band - Personal Crisis

My full list is about 42 albums as of now, still looking to expand.

Spiral_Slave
12-22-2007, 07:38 AM
My list so far...Pretty sure it's not gonna change much, if at all.

01. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
02. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
03. Helloween - Gambling With The Devil
04. Sonata Arctica - Unia
05. Ensiferum - Victory Songs
06. Dark Moor - Tarot
07. Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free Pt. II
08. Primal Fear - New Religion
09. Astral Doors - New Revelation
10. Kamelot - Ghost Opera

Div
12-22-2007, 11:17 AM
so when do we make the offical voting thread? i dont think there are any more releases this year.

overkiller
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
And when does voting end? I've got a lot of work to do yet if I want to really put the effort into my list.

SomewhereInTime72
12-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Last year we started on January 1st and gave everyone 2 weeks? I think... That sounds like it'll please most people.

overkiller
12-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds good. :cool:

DethMaiden
12-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Last year we started on January 1st and gave everyone 2 weeks? I think... That sounds like it'll please most people.

Yep.

overkiller
12-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Are demos eligible for voting?

DethMaiden
12-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Are demos eligible for voting?

It's newly-recorded material, right? So yeah.

Spiral_Slave
12-22-2007, 07:25 PM
It's newly-recorded material, right? So yeah.

Shades Of twilight - DEMOlition ftw

DethMaiden
12-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Shades Of twilight - DEMOlition ftw

:lol: :horns:

overkiller
12-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Damn... I'm hearing some good stuff lately, and I haven't really given myself enough time to re-review stuff that's already on my top 10 or may make it on there. I might end up kinda unsatisfied with my list. Oh well.

DethMaiden
12-24-2007, 05:45 AM
Damn... I'm hearing some good stuff lately, and I haven't really given myself enough time to re-review stuff that's already on my top 10 or may make it on there. I might end up kinda unsatisfied with my list. Oh well.

You have until January 14th. I mean, that's pretty far yet.

ADD
12-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Diggin' any of the shit I recommened you?

overkiller
12-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Diggin' any of the shit I recommened you?

Absolutely. Victimizer, Cobalt, Ash Pool, they all landed real close to top 10. Villains I thought I was gonna like more than I did. I think that's about all I've gotten to... some of the shit is harder to find than others.

Maiden33
12-26-2007, 09:13 AM
This Friday will be my last set of purchases for the year. Not sure what I'm getting yet or just how much, but probably a good amount of stuff. I still have a lot of listening left to do before I can accurately rank all releases. I've started a journey to listen to all of them from lowest-to-highest ranked.

overkiller
12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Damn, I bought a lot more 2007s than I thought I did:

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre Monde
Blood Freak - Multiplex Massacre
Darkthrone - F.O.A.D.
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
Helcaraxe - Triumph and Revenge (given to me by one of the band members)
Mayhem - Ordo ad Chao
Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment
Neurosis - Given to the Rising
Overkill - Immortalis
Pelican - City of Echoes
Rwake - Voices of Omens
Slough Feg - Hardworlder
Sodom - The Final Sign of Evil
Tegan and Sara - The Con

And I still plan on getting:

Ride for Revenge - The King of Snakes
Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
Jesu - Conqueror
Bone Awl - Meaningless Leaning Mess
Gallhammer - Ill Innocence

and maybe a few others like the new Victimizer and God Is An Astronaut. Obviously my year-end list of about 100 albums is going to include a lot of stuff I don't actually own.

ADD
12-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Damn, I bought a lot more 2007s than I thought I did:

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre Monde
Blood Freak - Multiplex Massacre
Darkthrone - F.O.A.D.
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
Helcaraxe - Triumph and Revenge (given to me by one of the band members)
Mayhem - Ordo ad Chao
Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment
Neurosis - Given to the Rising
Overkill - Immortalis
Pelican - City of Echoes
Rwake - Voices of Omens
Slough Feg - Hardworlder
Sodom - The Final Sign of Evil
Tegan and Sara - The Con

And I still plan on getting:

Ride for Revenge - The King of Snakes
Jesu - Conqueror
Bone Awl - Meaningless Leaning Mess
Gallhammer - Ill Innocence

and maybe a few others like the new Victimizer and God Is An Astronaut. Obviously my year-end list of about 100 albums is going to include a lot of stuff I don't actually own.

Not much point in buying the WIITR album, no packaging or anything really. God Is An Astronaut's album was really good, best post-rock I heard this year by far.

floydhunter9
12-28-2007, 05:13 AM

That's a fantastic album, I just got it myself.