Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Best U.K. Band: BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE
Best Live Band: LAMB OF GOD
Best International Band: KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
Best Underground Band: JOB FOR A COWBOY
Best Newcomer: DEATHSTARS
Best Video: AVENGED SEVENFOLD - "Seize The Day"
Riff Lord: Slash (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER)
Shredder: Bill Kelliher and Brent Hinds (MASTODON)
Best Metal Label: Roadrunner
Album Of The Year: MACHINE HEAD - "The Blackening"
Spirit of Hammer: NAPALM DEATH
Golden God: Robb Flynn
Icon Award: SLAYER
Best Viral Campaign: BUCKCHERRY
Best Comeback: HEAVEN AND HELL

Is this not the biggest load of horse shit you've ever seen? Bill and Brent shredders? Give me a fucking break. :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Job For a Cowboy arent underground. They just suck, and no respectable metalhead ever gave a shit about them before.

DethMaiden
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
And you expected this list to be good? :hecho:

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 11:17 AM
And you expected this list to be good? :hecho:

Well, I used to think Metal Hammer had some credibility.

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Its almost like they just picked up a Hit Parader and handed out awards to the first 15 bands they saw.

DethMaiden
06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, I used to think Metal Hammer had some credibility.

No.

And it's funny that you picked out the only people who deserved an award to bitch about the awards.

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2007, 11:53 AM
No.

And it's funny that you picked out the only people who deserved an award to bitch about the awards.

Heaven and Hell kinda fit their award.

DethMaiden
06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Heaven and Hell kinda fit their award.

Missed that one :eyes: But Mastodon and Heaven and Hell cover it.

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I like you have all these mainstream metal bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Killswitch Engage, and then the Spirit of Hammer award goes to a band like Napalm Death..:lol:

Angelripper
06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I agree with the list.

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree with the list.

I like this (http://yougotrickrolled.com/) list better.

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
No.

You REALLY think the guys from Mastodon deserve best shred? :confused:

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2007, 01:48 PM

You really think Job For a Cowboy are underground? You really think A7X had the best video? You really think BFMV are the best UK band? You really think Slash is the riff lord? You really think the best band IN THE WHOLE WORD (I assume that is what international means) is Killswitch Engage?

JRA
06-12-2007, 01:53 PM

I was listening to the Blood Mountain in its entirety yesterday (after getting off of a "Fuck Mastodon purist" trip), and I was knocked sideways by the middle section of Capillarian Crest, among other things. They're definitely good guitarists, and I'd much rather see them win the best shred instead of the guys from Machine Head or something.

MetalDrummer888
06-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Best Newcomer: DEATHSTARS

:party: :party:

Div
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
LOL UHWARDS MEEN TEH BAND IZ GUD MIRITE?!?!?

zgodt
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I was listening to the Blood Mountain in its entirety yesterday (after getting off of a "Fuck Mastodon purist" trip), and I was knocked sideways by the middle section of Capillarian Crest, among other things. They're definitely good guitarists, and I'd much rather see them win the best shred instead of the guys from Machine Head or something.

When people speak of guitar shredders, they generally mean people who are known especially for playing lots of flashy, fast solos -- malmsteen, satriani, the silly dudes in dragonforce, etc. That shit is so played out. That's why it's brilliant to call the Mastodon guys best shredders: they never throw in a guitar solo just to show off. One of the things I love about Leviathan is that there are only three guitar solos on the whole damn album -- and the first two are really short (the Slayer-esque speed solo in Island and the country lick in Megalodon). They don't have a real long solo until about 10 minutes into Hearts Alive, and that solo is brilliant, and (like the earlier, briefer solos) an organic component of the song.

Like you said, that section in Capillarian Crest is astonishing. A far cry from traditional "shredding", but technically as impressive and musically far more engaging.

JRA
06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
They don't have a real long solo until about 10 minutes into Hearts Alive, and that solo is brilliant, and (like the earlier, briefer solos) an organic component of the song.

Enh, I wouldn't call that solo real long. It's no longer than your typical WASP solo, and it sure does take its sweet time getting there.

By the way, yes I did just compare Mastodon to WASP. :fingers:

zgodt
06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
By the way, yes I did just compare Mastodon to WASP. :fingers:
:hecho:

DethMaiden
06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
When people speak of guitar shredders, they generally mean people who are known especially for playing lots of flashy, fast solos -- malmsteen, satriani, the silly dudes in dragonforce, etc. That shit is so played out. That's why it's brilliant to call the Mastodon guys best shredders: they never throw in a guitar solo just to show off. One of the things I love about Leviathan is that there are only three guitar solos on the whole damn album -- and the first two are really short (the Slayer-esque speed solo in Island and the country lick in Megalodon). They don't have a real long solo until about 10 minutes into Hearts Alive, and that solo is brilliant, and (like the earlier, briefer solos) an organic component of the song.

Like you said, that section in Capillarian Crest is astonishing. A far cry from traditional "shredding", but technically as impressive and musically far more engaging.

Every word of this is truth.

powerslave_85
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe it was too late for the cutoff, but Nine Inch Nail's secret shows and websites for Year Zero should have won "Best Viral Marketing" hands down.

Okay, now I feel really dirty for even suggesting that awards should be given for marketing.

JRA
06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Maybe it was too late for the cutoff, but Nine Inch Nail's secret shows and websites for Year Zero should have won "Best Viral Marketing" hands down.

Okay, now I feel really dirty for even suggesting that awards should be given for marketing.

By the way if anyone in this audience is involved in advertising or marketing...kill yourself. :D

ADD
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Damn. :metal:

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 10:31 PM

I get what you mean, but...IMO, there is no way to justify them winning that award. Don't get me wrong, I love Mastodon, but the guitar work in the band is average.

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I get what you mean, but...IMO, there is no way to justify them winning that award. Don't get me wrong, I love Mastodon, but the guitar work in the band is average.

But, like what Brad said, you chose THAT category selection to bitch about these awards? The rest of bands are far less deserving of their respective awards.

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
But, like what Brad said, you chose THAT category selection to bitch about these awards? The rest of bands are far less deserving of their respective awards.

Yeah, looking back I see that, but that statement was just a reponse to the previous post.

ADD
06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
the guitar work in the band is average.

So what would you consider above average guitar work then?

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 10:40 PM
So what would you consider above average guitar work then?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but do you want a list?

ADD
06-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but do you want a list?
Sure.

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Sure.

Are we talking any bands or just this year?

ADD
06-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Are we talking any bands or just this year?
Just bands in general.

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Just bands in general.

I would say any of these bands class over Mastodon in terms of guitar work.

Arch Enemy
BLAZE
Children Of Bodom
Dark Moor
Dio
DragonForce
Dragonland
Firewind
Galernyus
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Imperanon
Jag Panzer
Judas Priest
King Diamond
Megadeth
Nocturnal Rites
Obituary
Primal Fear
Running Wild
Savatage
Sinergy
Sinner
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Testament
Therion
Twilightning
W.A.S.P.
Warmen
Yngwie Malmsteen

That's all I have for now.

powerslave_85
06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Mastodon, but the guitar work in the band is average.Compared to what??? :hecho:

ADD
06-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm just not even going to begin an argument. Let's leave this one alone. Plus Jeff you partially taught me guitar and you're a good guy so let's not go there :D

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm just not even going to begin an argument. Let's leave this one alone. Plus Jeff you partially taught me guitar and you're a good guy so let's not go there :D

Yeah I was just thinking, this is really stupid. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ADD
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Yeah I was just thinking, this is really stupid. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yeah.

I do have to say one thing, this new King Diamond album is making me really happy :allan:

Spiral_Slave
06-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah.

I do have to say one thing, this new King Diamond album is making me really happy :allan:

Dude I cannot get past those fucking lame voiceovers! It sounds like a black Stewie Griffin! So I haven't given the album a proper listen yet, it's good?

ADD
06-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Dude I cannot get past those fucking lame voiceovers! It sounds like a black Stewie Griffin! So I haven't given the album a proper listen yet, it's good?
Yeah those are pretty annoying I admit.

This is probably the best I've heard from King Diamond besides Abigail. Right now I just have that happy metal-euphoria feeling from it ya know, all warm and fuzzy and slightly creeped out from King's singing and weird lyrics :milk: :D Yeah though, there's nothing else to say other than yes, metal :rocker:

MetalDrummer888
06-12-2007, 11:25 PM
This is probably the best I've heard from King Diamond besides Abigail.

i dont believe you. How about you give it to me so i can hear for myself :eyes: