PDA

View Full Version : Megadeth's United Abominations...

hot_turkey_ed
05-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Today was release day... what are your thoughts? How does it compare to System?

ADD
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I've had it for about a month, System was better.

hot_turkey_ed
05-15-2007, 10:14 PM
God Damn Hooligan! :finger:

I just listened to some clips on itunes... my first 30 second judgment is the same as yours.. I'll pick it up tomorrow somewhere.

DethMaiden
05-16-2007, 03:10 AM
I'm going to buy it Friday or Saturday.

JRA
05-16-2007, 05:14 AM
I am quite pissed that my pre-order is not only all the way back home, but buried amongst belongings as a result of my mother moving out of here house. :mad:

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2007, 07:06 AM
I was fully planning on buying it, but after hearing the whole thing, I'm not. "Washington Is Next" is the best song, by far, but nothing else comes close. "Gears of War" and "Sleepwalker" are okay too, but the rest are so boring. Me and my buddy listened to the whole thing on the way to Heaven and Hell last week and we were like, "Wow these songs are just... boring." The riffs, the melodies... blah, just blah. I thought System was a damn decent album, and I had decently high hopes for Abominations, but I really don't think it delivered.

Bouville
05-16-2007, 09:39 AM
I listened to it yesterday. It was ok, I had to give it a second listen because I did not pay too much attention but also I did not listen to something that I found objectionable (for example when I listen to Power Metal :hecho:)

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I listened to it yesterday. It was ok, I had to give it a second listen because I did not pay too much attention but also I did not listen to something that I found objectionable (for example when I listen to Power Metal :hecho:)

Elaborate!

SomewhereInTime72
05-16-2007, 02:46 PM
I like it. I don't know if it's better or worse than System. It's not amazing, obviously, but... I dunno. A lot of it is pretty rockin.

hot_turkey_ed
05-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I bought it today on sale for $10.99 and listened to it on the way home.

It's a definite grower. Songs would start... and I would think.. BBOOOORRRRiinnnngggggg... but then it would seem cool. I can totally imagine hearing a set loaded with this at Gigantour, especially track 5. Also, the music is much better than the poorly photoshopped cover. :tongue:

Spiral_Slave
05-16-2007, 07:54 PM
I think it's pretty bad. IMO the only worthwhile tracks are Washington Is Next, Sleepwalker, and Never Walk Alone. Just sounds boring, and uninspired. Dave has lost it and he needs to realize that.

hot_turkey_ed
05-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I think it's pretty bad. IMO the only worthwhile tracks are Washington Is Next, Sleepwalker, and Never Walk Alone. Just sounds boring, and uninspired. Dave has lost it and he needs to realize that.

Do you think it's that much worse / different than the recent past? Did you expect Dave to substanially change the Megadeth sound? This album seems to qualify as one of those "more of the same" albums -- which for my ears is a good enough thing.

Spiral_Slave
05-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Do you think it's that much worse / different than the recent past? Did you expect Dave to substanially change the Megadeth sound? This album seems to qualify as one of those "more of the same" albums -- which for my ears is a good enough thing.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of The System Has Failed, but I think that was substantially better than United Abominations. I don't think it was that much different than in the past, the songs just aren't as good anymore IMO. I didn't expect him to totally re-invent Megadeth on this record, I would have been happy with another TSHF, about half good, half bad songs. But IMO United Abominations only has 3 or 4 worthwhile tracks at best.

overkiller
05-16-2007, 08:47 PM
System was better

So... why does anyone even give it the time of day, exactly? Oh right, it has the Megadeth name on it. :hecho:

ADD
05-16-2007, 08:51 PM
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of The System Has Failed, but I think that was substantially better than United Abominations. I don't think it was that much different than in the past, the songs just aren't as good anymore IMO. I didn't expect him to totally re-invent Megadeth on this record, I would have been happy with another TSHF, about half good, half bad songs. But IMO United Abominations only has 3 or 4 worthwhile tracks at best.
This is correct :allan:

Div
05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Dave needs to listen to Rust in Peace.

Spiral_Slave
05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Dave needs to listen to Rust in Peace.

We will NEVER get another album close to that. That's what all the idiots on blabbermouth who are like " I WANT ANOTHER RUST IN PEACE!!! " every time Megadeth puts out a new album need to realize. It's never going to happen. It's the unfortunate truth.

Div
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
We will NEVER get another album close to that. That's what all the idiots on blabbermouth who are like " I WANT ANOTHER RUST IN PEACE!!! " every time Megadeth puts out a new album need to realize. It's never going to happen. It's the unfortunate truth.

Yea, you're right :(

I hate when bands forget the roots that made them popular in the first place :mad:

Spiral_Slave
05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Yea, you're right :(

I hate when bands forget the roots that made them popular in the first place :mad:

It really seems like the only Dave hasn't forgot is how to be a complete fucking idiot.

Div
05-17-2007, 12:38 PM
It really seems like the only Dave hasn't forgot is how to be a complete fucking idiot.

:lol:

Spiral_Slave
05-17-2007, 12:39 PM
:lol:

I mean come on, an anti-drug song from the man who wrote Mary Jane? :hecho:

EDIT: Is Mary Jane even about pot? Because if not, I just looked like a total n00b. :(

SomewhereInTime72
05-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I mean come on, an anti-drug song from the man who wrote Mary Jane? :hecho:

EDIT: Is Mary Jane even about pot? Because if not, I just looked like a total n00b. :(

I have no fucking clue what that song is about, actually :lol:

"Forgive me father for I have sinned
I'm a child of the air, I'm a witch of the wind
And I'm still wide awake... Mary Jane

From the earth, up through the trees
I can hear her calling me
Her voice rides on the breeze
Oh, it's haunting me

No, I can't get away
No, there's no escape
If I know I'm going crazy
I must not be insane

Beware my friends, as you pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I am now so you must be
Prepare my friends to follow me

Forgive me father for I have sinned
Fingers gripped around my brain
No control, my mind is lame
I'm in the astral plane, and I'll never be the same
Never, never, never, never, never, never
Never, never, never

It hurts so bad I can't breathe
Prepare to follow me"

:wtf: :eyes: :lol:

powerslave_85
05-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm not even going to bother illegally downloading this album.

Spiral_Slave
05-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I have no fucking clue what that song is about, actually :lol:

"Forgive me father for I have sinned
And I'm still wide awake... Mary Jane

From the earth, up through the trees
I can hear her calling me
Her voice rides on the breeze
Oh, it's haunting me

No, I can't get away
No, there's no escape
If I know I'm going crazy
I must not be insane

Forgive me father for I have sinned
Fingers gripped around my brain
No control, my mind is lame
I'm in the astral plane, and I'll never be the same
Never, never, never, never, never, never
Never, never, never

It hurts so bad I can't breathe
Prepare to follow me"

:wtf: :eyes: :lol:

From what I am hearing it's about witchcraft, unless it is some highly metaphorical mask for smoking marijuana. But lets face it, Dave isn't capable of anything poetic.

JRA
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
From what I am hearing it's about witchcraft, unless it is some highly metaphorical mask for smoking marijuana. But lets face it, Dave isn't capable of anything poetic.

YOU!!! NEXT VICTIM!!! YOU!!! NEXT TO DIE!!!

ADD
05-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Holy Wars is poetry :blaze: At least the first 2 verses.

SomewhereInTime72
05-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm on my third listen now. I think it's pretty good, and the worst song is the terrible remake of A Tout Le Monde. United Abominations is a pretty lame song too. I think the music is really good though in some parts. Overall I think its a pretty good album, definitely not terrible. I think the political nature of the album is making people dislike this album more because of Dave's bigmouth ideas... But theres some killer riffs, solos, and melodies here, and we shouldn't overlook that...

Spiral_Slave
05-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm on my third listen now. I think it's pretty good, and the worst song is the terrible remake of A Tout Le Monde. United Abominations is a pretty lame song too. I think the music is really good though in some parts. Overall I think its a pretty good album, definitely not terrible. I think the political nature of the album is making people dislike this album more because of Dave's bigmouth ideas... But theres some killer riffs, solos, and melodies here, and we shouldn't overlook that...

I agree with you there is some mindblowing leads by Drover, some great technical riffage, but the sum of all parts is what I really take in, and to me the overall outcome isn't very memorable.