12. Falling Off The Edge Of The World
13. Shadow Of The Wind
14. Die Young w/Guitar Solo
15. Heaven & Hell
-----
16. Neon Knights

A few notes:
-Machine Head don't totally suck.
-Megadeth totally rule and UA might not suck that bad after all.
-Tony Iommi=Jesus
-Drum solos that aren't played by Neil Peart totally suck.
-The "demon dance" referred to in "Children of the Sea" is, in fact, just the hand motions to "Little Bunny Fu Fu".
-Dio loves him some neon tits.

JRA
05-09-2007, 06:22 AM
A few notes:
-Machine Head don't totally suck.
-Megadeth totally rule and UA might not suck that bad after all.
-Tony Iommi=Jesus
-Drum solos that aren't played by Neil Peart totally suck.
-The "demon dance" referred to in "Children of the Sea" is, in fact, just the hand motions to "Little Bunny Fu Fu".
-Dio loves him some neon tits.

1) Why? Did they break out Vio-lence classics?
2) :dorky:
3) And Neil Peart = God
4) No, but it could have been replaced by more Dehumanizer classics. Therefore, suckage.
5) ...
6) :confused:

DethMaiden
05-09-2007, 06:24 AM
1) Why? Did they break out Vio-lence classics?
2) :dorky:
3) And Neil Peart = God
4) No, but it could have been replaced by more Dehumanizer classics. Therefore, suckage.
5) ...
6) :confused:

1) No, I just think they were pretty good live.
2) I can't even put into words the thrashin' excellence of Dave and the boys last night. It was great.
3) Indeed.
4) Actually, this solo really really sucked. He didn't use any interesting percussion. It was like "Tom-snare-bass-snare-bass-crash-crash-tom!". :zzz:
5) Dio made the devil horns and made them bounce around when he sang that line.
6) Some chicks threw their bras on stage during Neon Knights so Dio sang "Neon tits- neon tits- neon tits- Show me your lumps"

JRA
05-09-2007, 06:28 AM
1) No, I just think they were pretty good live.
2) I can't even put into words the thrashin' excellence of Dave and the boys last night. It was great.
3) Indeed.
4) Actually, this solo really really sucked. He didn't use any interesting percussion. It was like "Tom-snare-bass-snare-bass-crash-crash-tom!". :zzz:
5) Dio made the devil horns and made them bounce around when he sang that line.
6) Some chicks threw their bras on stage during Neon Knights so Dio sang "Neon tits- neon tits- neon tits- Show me your lumps"

2) The :dorky: was supposed to mean "Duuuuuhhh. You were expecting them to suck like Linkin Park?"
4) :lol: and you put down that it didn't totally sucked.
6)...that's fucking awkward. Dio should not be begging for boobies.

I still stand by my previous statemnt that Tony Iommi's solo should be "Shine on You Crazy Diamond Part 1.":eyes:

DethMaiden
05-09-2007, 06:30 AM
4) :lol: and you put down that it didn't totally sucked.
6)...that's fucking awkward. Dio should not be begging for boobies.

4) I don't think so. I've been pretty consistently holding the opinion that it blew.
6) I took a picture of him holding a bra and singing. I'll post it later. :eyes:

JRA
05-09-2007, 06:31 AM
4) I don't think so. I've been pretty consistently holding the opinion that it blew.
:

Oh, I guess I misread that it didn't totally suck. I'll blame that on the fact that I just got up.

DethMaiden
05-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Oh, I guess I misread that it didn't totally suck. I'll blame that on the fact that I just got up.

No worries. I got up on five hours of sleep and took my driving test and got my license today :D

EvilCheeseWedge
05-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Cool, but UA sucks terribly. I mean I can't even begin to tell you how much it sucks. "Washington Is Next" is the best track on it.

Anyways, cool review... I am pumped for Friday :party:

DethMaiden
05-09-2007, 07:28 AM
http://a136.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_b045255439bee239872caa8580631b9f.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2007, 11:04 AM
1) Machine Head weren't bad. Their Aesthetics of Hate explanation was pretty touching/cool.
2) Megadeth were so fucking laid back..They radiated "kickass." They are still better than Metallica.
3) I finallly my hero, Ronnie James Dio. I was so fucking surreal. It was all that I had imagined that it would be. And of course, Tony Fucking Iommi stood in front of me all night long. So amazing.

A few notes...The dude beside me said he had seen Dave Mustaine perform when he was still with Metallica...and he had seen Sabbath 10 times (9 with Ozzy and once with Ian.) Not alot of moshing went on, which was good. Overall awesome night. Didnt get home too late. Felt fine when I woke up.

10 eddies.

ADD
05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Can't believe you thought Machine Head was good, that's some of the worst garbage I've had to tolerate at a non-local band show. I could have thrown up when they do those goddamn open-E breakdown parts. But Megadeth, hell yeah, plus you got She-Wolf! :metal: But ECW is right about United Abominations, when they do the album tour they should just play Sleepwalker and Washington Is Next still :D Someone threw their bra at Ronnie at my show too :lol:

Maiden33
05-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Your drum solo comment is completely bullshit Brad. Seriously.

There's a ton of incredible drummers out there that do great drum solos... IE Tommy Aldridge, Bobby Jarzombek, Fritz Randow, Nicko McBrain, Felix Bohnke, etc.

... just because you dont have tubular bells and electronic drums in your kit doesn't mean it's a shitty drum solo.

JRA
05-09-2007, 06:54 PM

There's a ton of incredible drummers out there that do great drum solos... IE Tommy Aldridge, Bobby Jarzombek, Fritz Randow, Nicko McBrain, Felix Bohnke, etc.

... just because you dont have tubular bells and electronic drums in your kit doesn't mean it's a shitty drum solo.

1) Cry more.

2) Who the fuck is Felix Bonky?

es156
05-09-2007, 08:22 PM
1) Cry more.

2) Who the fuck is Felix Bonky?

1. You are a drummer aren't you? Do you agree with Brad's statement concerning drum solos? I have seen many great drum solos that were done by someone other than Neil Peart. And I think Vinny's was pretty darn cool. Plus, Ronnie needs a rest during the show. ;)

2. Edguy's drummer.

DethMaiden
05-10-2007, 03:20 AM

Maybe it's just because I'm not a drummer, but Appice's solo (and Jeff Plate's for that matter) bored the hell out of me. Now there are two guys besides Peart who I would imagine play a great solo: Danny Carey and Martin Lopez. But if you don't have any interesting percussion in your kit, I don't know why you'd bother with a solo. If Tony would have been playing a riff over that solo, I don't think I would have known Appice was playing one.

JRA
05-10-2007, 05:33 AM
1. You are a drummer aren't you? Do you agree with Brad's statement concerning drum solos? I have seen many great drum solos that were done by someone other than Neil Peart. And I think Vinny's was pretty darn cool. Plus, Ronnie needs a rest during the show. ;)

2. Edguy's drummer.

I'm just not a huge fan of any chunk of time that isn't being used by a song (In Neil Peart's case, his drum solo practically is a song).

EvilCheeseWedge
05-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Brad speaks the truth. 98% of drum solos are boring excuses for the singer to get a drink and the rest of the band to be lazy. I've heard Vinny solos in bootlegs (live tomorrow) and they're pretty boring. So were Simon Wright's with Dio solo.

es156
05-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Brad speaks the truth. 98% of drum solos are boring excuses for the singer to get a drink and the rest of the band to be lazy. I've heard Vinny solos in bootlegs (live tomorrow) and they're pretty boring. So were Simon Wright's with Dio solo.

Spoken like a true guitarist.

;)

EvilCheeseWedge
05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Spoken like a true guitarist.

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just got pwned! :lol:

ADD
05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm a drummer myself and I'd prefer to hear a guitar solo on most occasions. Neil Peart and Danny Carey can do solos if they want :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
05-10-2007, 11:57 AM
On behalf of all the drummers here, let me say this: Drum solos are just ways for people to show off their kits. Sure, having a cool set up like Peart would be interesting...but for those that dont, soloing is a way to show off their talent. Jeff Plates was fucking awesome because he was going so fast and it sounded cool. It may be boring to you, because I dont think you fully understand that difficulty of moving your hands very fast, in different directions, varying tempos, without a metronome. Though Vinny's was pretty boring, I do not think Peart, Carey, and Lopez are the only drummers that can have good solos.

Drummers like Dave Lombardo, Joey Jordison, Ted Kirkpatrick, Inferno, George Kollias, and Hellhammer dont need excessively "wacky" kits to pull off cool drumming...And I want to point out that the only drummers Brad likes are in progressive bands...SHOCKER!

ADD
05-10-2007, 12:07 PM
On behalf of all the drummers here

No thanks :)

ChildrenofSodom
05-10-2007, 04:19 PM
No thanks :)

O OK

DethMaiden
05-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm just not a huge fan of any chunk of time that isn't being used by a song (In Neil Peart's case, his drum solo practically is a song).

True.

Truer.

Div
05-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Drum solo's? Two words, Moby Dick. Especially the one on the live DVD.

JRA
05-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Drum solo's? Two words, Moby Dick. Especially the one on the live DVD.

No. Well, maybe if the fucking thing wasn't 22 minutes long. No musician should have an unaccompanied solo that long. Not even Neil.

Div
05-13-2007, 11:04 AM
22 minutes long.

Thus is the godliness of Bonham :cool:

MetalDrummer888
05-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Daniel Erlandsson Drum Solo
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kLd26yLrWM)

:eek: :eek:

this is how a drum solo should be done :allan:

JRA
05-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Daniel Erlandsson Drum Solo
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kLd26yLrWM)

:eek: :eek:

this is how a drum solo should be done :allan:

Not bad, but Neil Peart does that idea better.

Maiden33
05-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I see it like this:
A drum solo shouldn't be a matter of showing off who has the most pointless percussion in the drum kit they spent too much money on to use about 4 times in the whole show.
To me a drum solo is the drummer's chance to really show off and showcase their skills and talents since in guitarists and singers get to do so all the time. While many songs dont feature full on parts where its just a guitar solo, it happens a hell of a lot more than random breakdown where the drummer just spazzes out. Now while guitar solos are usually a lot more interesting than drum solos, they are a lot more pointless. I personally HATE it when a band just does a bit live where the guitarist stands up there wanking with no backing for like 5 minutes... it's so stupid. However, I really enjoy it when a band will have the rest of the band (usually just the rhythm section) keep a beat and chord structure while the guitarist gets basically showcased for a while. However, it's just not logical to do this with a drum solo, and I don't feel it detracts from the quality of the solo if the drummer uses just a standard kit. It's all about how manipulate it. It'd be like saying a guitar solo is pointless without effects. It's just stupid.

Maiden33
05-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Truer.

If I'm reading that correctly, you're calling a person correct for saying you're correct. Hmmm

Maiden33
05-13-2007, 04:39 PM
On behalf of all the drummers here, let me say this: Drum solos are just ways for people to show off their kits. Sure, having a cool set up like Peart would be interesting...but for those that dont, soloing is a way to show off their talent. Jeff Plates was fucking awesome because he was going so fast and it sounded cool. It may be boring to you, because I dont think you fully understand that difficulty of moving your hands very fast, in different directions, varying tempos, without a metronome. Though Vinny's was pretty boring, I do not think Peart, Carey, and Lopez are the only drummers that can have good solos.

Drummers like Dave Lombardo, Joey Jordison, Ted Kirkpatrick, Inferno, George Kollias, and Hellhammer dont need excessively "wacky" kits to pull off cool drumming...And I want to point out that the only drummers Brad likes are in progressive bands...SHOCKER!

I actually agree with just about everything you said despite the obvious differences in taste. I had forgotten Ted Kikpatrick though. Jeff Plate is one hell of an awesome drummer and is unfortunately usually very restrained due to the work he does. He ruled when I saw him play for Metal Church. I think non-drummers tend to be waay to overcritical of drummers and drum solos. I used to play drums quite actively, and it's a lot more of an art form than people think it is. I actually find that playing drums is that hardest of all the instruments I play for me to play. It takes A LOT of work and conditioning to be able to become very good at it when you have to play at that level for almost 2 hours consecutively. Drummers are the hardest working member of just about any band, and I think people tend to overcriticize them and just shrug it off as "some guy beating on things". It's really quite silly.

DethMaiden
05-13-2007, 06:06 PM
It's a matter of taste. You can't call a drum solo good or bad. I dislike most drum solos. Some folks may like them, that's their deal.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-14-2007, 07:35 AM
I saw Vinny's solo. The first half of it was retarded. ZOMG he can play his drums?!? ! ?!1 1 1 call the press!?!11

DethMaiden
05-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Thread necromance, but not without good reason I think.

I just want to say how blessed I feel - and I'm sure Cameron feels the same - to have seen Dio sing from the front row before he passed away. R.I.P. :light: