PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the grooves gone?

Div
05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Howcome bands seem to be set on trying to make all these big epic albums with long drawn out songs and orchestral pieces and trying to blend in some deep philosophical message? What happened to simply having guitar-bass-drums and a good riff on a 3 minute track?

JRA
05-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Pantera made them gay. :nutkick:

Seriously though, I miss those days too.

DethMaiden
05-01-2007, 02:53 PM
You're listening in the wrong places, my friend. "All bands" don't do epic orchestrations.

powerslave_85
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I'd go further and say that you're listening to the wrong genre. None of my favorite punk rock bands have a problem keeping it at 3 minutes or less ;)

ADD
05-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Posts like theese depress me. You guys know so much about technology and how to use Internet and crazy shit, and can't even find the type of bands you're looking for. If you want I'll PM you a list of literally 100 bands or more you could check out that fit your description, and chances are you'll love them.

Seriously, RIDICULOUS. Damn.

JRA
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I'd go further and say that you're listening to the wrong genre. None of my favorite punk rock bands have a problem keeping it at 3 minutes or less ;)

:lol:

Div
05-01-2007, 04:12 PM
ok well, i was talking about metal bands recent material, specifically the big names, a good example would be iron maiden. im not saying the last album was bad, but wtf. now lets see, megadeths upcoming album, iced earths, manowars recent, and im pretty sure the new priest will fit in here aswell.

powerslave_85
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
There's a pretty simple solution: If you don't like the direction those bands are taking, don't listen to them.

Div
05-01-2007, 04:41 PM
There's a pretty simple solution: If you don't like the direction those bands are taking, don't listen to them.

Yea I could always do that, its just sad to see them go downhill :(

Maiden33
05-01-2007, 04:48 PM
You're listening in the wrong places, my friend. "All bands" don't do epic orchestrations.

Yeah, not all. Just all the good ones. :D
haha, even I know that statement is completely false. Even me, a fond listener of epic power metal, have often been annoyed by pointless bombast (cough cough Rhapsody and bands of the like), and often do enjoy listening to simpler music.

Maiden33
05-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Yea I could always do that, its just sad to see them go downhill :(

I wouldn't say Maiden is going downhill at all. Maiden's career progression as of late is a lot more horizontal rather than vertical in my opinion. The new album ranks among the top half dozen or so albums of theirs IMO, but you can't really fairly compare it to something like Piece of Mind... the style of music is completely different. The mindset is completely different, which is good I think... not in ANY way a takedown to old Maiden, I love it dearly, but I just think it's good that they haven't been doing the same thing for like 20 years.

overkiller
05-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I just think it's good that they haven't been doing the same thing for like 20 years.

Umm?

zgodt
05-01-2007, 09:08 PM
ok well, i was talking about metal bands recent material, specifically the big names, a good example would be iron maiden. im not saying the last album was bad, but wtf. now lets see, megadeths upcoming album, iced earths, manowars recent, and im pretty sure the new priest will fit in here aswell.

You seem to be wrapping many complaints into one. What bothers you: the song lengths? the absence of grooves? attempts at lyrical "depth"?

However you feel about the rest of the song, the first main verse riff of "The Legacy" might be the best groove in any Maiden song.