PDA

View Full Version : Zomg! New songs!

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey folks, it's that time again... yep, time for me to fling my band's crap at you! One of the guys bought a ProTools rig, so we took it for a test toast today on two songs. These are pretty rough...

1. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (http://baptizedbyfiremusic.com/media/042207dogs.mp3)
2. Messiah (http://baptizedbyfiremusic.com/media/042207messiah.mp3)

There's plenty I'm not happy with yet (as far as performance and production is concerned) but what do you think so far?

hot_turkey_ed
04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Dogs > Messiah

Dogs is Priest-like. :fist:

Messiah reminds more of a Whitesnake beat. Also :fist: but... I'm not an audio engineer but it sounds like something is missing from Messiah. There's this hole betweent the bass and guitars... and your vocalist doesn't fill it... gets better during the solo though. Coming out of the solo... Hmm... maybe it just needs to be a little more balanced for my ears.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Dogs > Messiah

Dogs is Priest-like. :fist:

Messiah reminds more of a Whitesnake beat. Also :fist: but... I'm not an audio engineer but it sounds like something is missing from Messiah. There's this hole betweent the bass and guitars... and your vocalist doesn't fill it... gets better during the solo though. Coming out of the solo... Hmm... maybe it just needs to be a little more balanced for my ears.
Hey, thanks for the compliment. Dogs is actually one of my songs (musically) and I thought the same thing... reminded me of an old school Priest/Maiden vibe. I'm not really thrilled with this version, or my playing... it's a new song and didn't have a solo and they only let me do one take :lol:

You're right. I feel like it's really bottom heavy. It's good to get these responses, because I'm not the one mixing. I tend to yell and whine about stuff a lot (turn that down, less this, more that) so I get ignored pretty fast :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2007, 10:46 PM
If anyone's curious to hear it, here's Sleeping Dogs "live" with our old drummer... here (http://baptizedbyfiremusic.com/media/sleepingdogsgw.mp3).

JRA
04-23-2007, 06:54 AM
HOLY FUCK! WHERE DID THAT GUITAR TONE COME FROM!!!

It sounds like a Keeper Pt. II extra, and common logic dictates that that is a good thing.

THRASH BREAK!!!!

HOLY SHIT, THAT OWNED!

Div
04-23-2007, 07:12 AM
:shred:

I'll agree that the mixing didn't exactly sound right, but the music itself is what matter, and you guys did a good job with that. You can always remix until you get it right, but the important thing is that you've got some pretty solid songs written.

And just a personal suggestion, I'd cut out the clip of Bush talking, noone wants to hear that guys voice when theyre rockin out :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 07:14 AM
HOLY FUCK! WHERE DID THAT GUITAR TONE COME FROM!!!

It sounds like a Keeper Pt. II extra, and common logic dictates that that is a good thing.

THRASH BREAK!!!!

HOLY SHIT, THAT OWNED!

I never know how to take it when you're excited about something. "Does he like it, or is he mocking me?" :lol:

But, I hope you do like the guitar tone... I spent a bit of time cooking it up. It sounds even better with decent production ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 07:15 AM
:shred:

I'll agree that the mixing didn't exactly sound right, but the music itself is what matter, and you guys did a good job with that. You can always remix until you get it right, but the important thing is that you've got some pretty solid songs written.

And just a personal suggestion, I'd cut out the clip of Bush talking, noone wants to hear that guys voice when theyre rockin out :lol:

Good point. I'm not sure how I feel about that middle part, or what I think we should do with it honestly, but yes, I am inclined to agree with you :lol:

JRA
04-23-2007, 07:17 AM
I never know how to take it when you're excited about something. "Does he like it, or is he mocking me?" :lol:

But, I hope you do like the guitar tone... I spent a bit of time cooking it up. It sounds even better with decent production ;)

:lol:

No mockery in that post.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 07:27 AM

No mockery in that post.
:D

sneakbobcat
04-23-2007, 07:58 AM
sounding good. The guitar tone distortion is very good!
What guitar/pickups you got?

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 08:04 AM
sounding good. The guitar tone distortion is very good!
What guitar/pickups you got?
Thanks! :D

You're gonna laugh at this... the guitar I used for those two songs was an Epiphone G400 with stock pickups :lol:

zgodt
04-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Ya'll's sound kinda reminds me of classic Armored Saint.

Especially Messiah, which is my favorite of the two tracks. :metal:

Div is right about losing the GWB voice-over.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Ya'll's sound kinda reminds me of classic Armored Saint.

Especially Messiah, which is my favorite of the two tracks. :metal:

Div is right about losing the GWB voice-over.
Cool :D

Hmm, yes, I agree. I still don't know what (if anything) should go in that middle part of the song.

Div
04-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Bruce kinda distored bush's voice in 1000 Points Of Light and chopped it up to match the beat, maybe you could do something similar if your band mates want to keep it in?

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Bruce kinda distored bush's voice in 1000 Points Of Light and chopped it up to match the beat, maybe you could do something similar if your band mates want to keep it in?
That'd be interesting. I don't think anybody in the band is going to put up a fight to remove the Bush thing, we just don't really know what to do with that part in general ;)

JRA
04-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Are you guys talking about Messiah? Cos in "Dogs Lie" the guy talking didn't sound anything like Bush.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Are you guys talking about Messiah? Cos in "Dogs Lie" the guy talking didn't sound anything like Bush.
Yep, it's Bush in Dogs Lie ;)

JRA
04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Yep, it's Bush in Dogs Lie ;)

Huh, it sounds more like Micheal Kiske (as does your singer).

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Huh, it sounds more like Micheal Kiske (as does your singer).
Really? :lol:

It's kind of hard to hear what Bush is saying. Uggh, I'm not at all sure what to do with that stinkin' part!

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
BOTH KICK ASS! :shred:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
BOTH KICK ASS! :shred:
Thank you sir :D

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Thank you sir :D

Get down to the Miami Valley, you lazy punk.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Get down to the Miami Valley, you lazy punk.
:lol: We'll be touring this summer. We're working on finding somebody to play bass for us in a live capacity right now ;)

DethMaiden
04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
:lol: We'll be touring this summer. We're working on finding somebody to play bass for us in a live capacity right now ;)

I know a guy named Josh who would love to play bass for you.

*incredibly esoteric joke* :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 12:15 PM

LOL

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 12:42 PM

I used to be in a band with a vocalist named Josh.

We fired him :eyes:

JRA
04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I used to be in a band with a vocalist named Josh.

We fired him :eyes:

I feel dandy.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I feel dandy.
:lol: You're a Josh too, eh?

JRA
04-23-2007, 12:57 PM
:lol: You're a Josh too, eh?

Yup. And I'm a drummer.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Yup. And I'm a drummer.

So far we've fired...

A drummer named Steve (twice), one named Jourdan, one named John, and one named Eric.

JRA
04-23-2007, 01:05 PM

So far we've fired...

A drummer named Steve (twice), one named Jourdan, one named John, and one named Eric.

How come? Were they all Slaughter fans?

*even more esoteric joke*

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 01:47 PM
My band's going to cover Devil Incarnate

*extremely esoteric joke*

SomewhereInTime72
04-23-2007, 02:49 PM
These songs rock. :rocker:

Dogs was my favorite of the two. But I agree about the Bush talking part, it doesn't really work as a lead into the solo anyway. Also the part where the drummer plays 16th notes on the hi-hat... I like the idea but what the guitar is doing sounds weird with it.

Messiah is really good too. Kinda reminds me of Arch enemy mixed with Black Sabbath, or something. The production sounded better on this one too, but I'm sure both sounds will sound awesome if you work on the sound enough.

:rocker: :rocker: :horns:

ADD
04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh fuck yes, fuck yes, you guys probably aren't going for this sound but it reminds me of a lot of many of the stoner/retro-metal bands I listen to, goddamn fuckin ACE. It's got such a killer late 70's/early 80's vibe.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Very "The Sword"-y

ADD
04-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Very "The Sword"-y
The Sword is retro-metal for n00bs :cool: They get lots of shit in the underground stoner circles, guess you could compare them to how we view Dragonforce or Trivium or something.

But I still like 'em :party:

ADD
04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Message for Cheese: stop wasting your time on here, get fucking rehearsing, make an album, buy a bus and come out to San Francisco :metal:

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 05:51 PM
The Sword is retro-metal for n00bs :cool: They get lots of shit in the underground stoner circles, guess you could compare them to how we view Dragonforce or Trivium or something.

But I still like 'em :party:

Really? They're so fucking good though :(

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Message for Cheese: stop wasting your time on here, get fucking rehearsing, make an album, buy a bus and come out to San Francisco :metal:

:lol: Thanks dude.

I'm mostly here while procrastinating on homework or slacking at work anyways ;)

ADD
04-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Oops......http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=71239

zgodt
04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Oops......http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=71239

:bliss:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Motherfucker...

(I'm not too partial to our name, not gonna lie :lol: )

JRA
04-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Motherfucker...

(I'm not too partial to our name, not gonna lie :lol: )

It wasn't really a name you could chant. If your gonna take a new name, make it 2, 3 syllablles max.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
It wasn't really a name you could chant. If your gonna take a new name, make it 2, 3 syllablles max.
I just talked to the guys, and we're going to change it. That was the first thing we all said... shorter name. Hopefully we'll cook up something good for once :)

JRA
04-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I just talked to the guys, and we're going to change it. That was the first thing we all said... shorter name. Hopefully we'll cook up something good for once :)

I'd suggest "Neon Knights" or "War Pigs," seeing as how you guys always cover Sabbath.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I'd suggest "Neon Knights" or "War Pigs," seeing as how you guys always cover Sabbath.

JRA
04-26-2007, 03:12 PM

I'm being serious. :eyes: I actually think the former would be a great band name.

DethMaiden
04-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Ragefire!

Div
04-26-2007, 04:12 PM
ragefire huh? sure u guys wouldnt wanna upgrade to shadowfang or razorfen? :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Living Martyr :eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-26-2007, 04:34 PM
ragefire huh? sure u guys wouldnt wanna upgrade to shadowfang or razorfen? :lol:

:lol: I will not ever be in another band named after something from Warcraft :hecho:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It helps. I sat down the other night and went through here with my friend who plays bass and drums on these songs -he also wrote the guitar part for "Messiah" - he pretty plays everything. It's him and I that write all the material and do the recordings, and general shit like that... anyways, we've come up with a couple things...

We're gonna re-name the band, for sure. The vocals on "Messiah" - totally scrapped. Awful. We're going to take some control away from the vocalist until he gets comfortable with what we want him to do. "Sleeping Dogs" will have a new vocal melody. We're taking Bush’s speaking, or any variation on the Bush thing, out of the song. I think it may just be the same as you hear it now, sans Bush. I'm not sure there's a need to fill that space.

As for the instrumental performances and mix, we've already fixed up a lot of things with the mix, but these recordings were done just to get a feel for the setup, and are not for an actual demo.

Whew.

Okay, one more thing for you guys to rip apart :)

Hell Is Here (http://baptizedbyfiremusic.com/media/hihvox.mp3) - this is pretty rough, the first day it was played with vocals (I showed you guys this one sans vocals a long time ago.) The middle part is not done... that's not the final riff (the chuggy part in the middle of the song.) The vocals are pretty rough (read: terrible) and the drummer that's playing on this is no longer in the band ;)

ChildrenofSodom
04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm not too fond of the new one...sorry....but the other two are great :D

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm not too fond of the new one...sorry....but the other two are great :D
The new one being "Hell Is Here"?

JRA
04-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Okay, one more thing for you guys to rip apart :)

Hell Is Here (http://baptizedbyfiremusic.com/media/hihvox.mp3) - this is pretty rough, the first day it was played with vocals (I showed you guys this one sans vocals a long time ago.) The middle part is not done... that's not the final riff (the chuggy part in the middle of the song.) The vocals are pretty rough (read: terrible) and the drummer that's playing on this is no longer in the band ;)

I'm probably the only one who will think this, but it sounds like Celtic Frost (with an actual singer and a better lead guitar player mind you).

YES!!! PAYOFF!!

Enh...actually that doesn't even sound like a riff.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm probably the only one who will think this, but it sounds like Celtic Frost (with an actual singer and a better lead guitar player mind you).

YES!!! PAYOFF!!

Enh...actually that doesn't even sound like a riff.
Ouch, that doesn't say much for Celtic Frost :lol:

;)

ChildrenofSodom
04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
The new one being "Hell Is Here"?

yeah

JRA
04-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Ouch, that doesn't say much for Celtic Frost :lol:

;)

Well, Tom Warrior isn't exactly known for his "killer leads."

FYI: feedback endings are kind of annoying.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, Tom Warrior isn't exactly known for his "killer leads."

FYI: feedback endings are kind of annoying.
Agreed. I only do shit like that when we're practicing. HIH still has a long ways to go.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
yeah
Yeah... it's rough.

JRA
04-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Agreed. I only do shit like that when we're practicing. HIH still has a long ways to go.

Just remember, its E Tuning (not C) + fast picking = good always.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Just remember, its E Tuning (not C) + fast picking = good always.
You mean that middle part? Yeah, I don't know what to do there. We used to have something different (if you'll recall) but then dropped that. Right now I'm still trying to come up with something. What's there in the song online is just something we cooked up during that day's practice to fill the space, but it didn't work out so great (to say the least :lol: )

JRA
04-27-2007, 11:32 AM
You mean that middle part? Yeah, I don't know what to do there. We used to have something different (if you'll recall) but then dropped that. Right now I'm still trying to come up with something. What's there in the song online is just something we cooked up during that day's practice to fill the space, but it didn't work out so great (to say the least :lol: )

Um...I just felt like paraphrasing a mockery of Kerry King that someone posted on here, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea. That was actually the first time I heard the song. But yea. That middle secion needs a speed metal riff of sorts.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Um...I just felt like paraphrasing a mockery of Kerry King that someone posted on here, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea. That was actually the first time I heard the song. But yea. That middle secion needs a speed metal riff of sorts.
:lol: Oh. Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for, just need to come up with a riff that doesn't suck :hmm:

Ah, I don't have a copy of the old one on me at the moment, or I'd link it. Everything is the same except it had no vocals, and it had a very different part after the guitar solo.

JRA
04-27-2007, 11:38 AM
:lol: Oh. Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for, just need to come up with a riff that doesn't suck :hmm:

Ah, I don't have a copy of the old one on me at the moment, or I'd link it. Everything is the same except it had no vocals, and it had a very different part after the guitar solo.

Might I suggest listening to Helloween so you don't come up with an idea that's been used (or at least some inspiration. Your singer actually sounded suspiciously like Micheal Kiske on "Sleeping dogs")?

Enh. No need. It's slightly difficult to work that shit in during my "busy music schedule." :eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Might I suggest listening to Helloween so you don't come up with an idea that's been used (or at least some inspiration. Your singer actually sounded suspiciously like Micheal Kiske on "Sleeping dogs")?

Enh. No need. It's slightly difficult to work that shit in during my "busy music schedule." :eyes:
I could. I've never listened to them before, honestly. Recommendations?

Yeah, I hear ya. I wish I had a good recording of our song "Eternal Exile" - I think you guys would like it. Our vocalist does a much better job on that one then some of the others posted, but the only recording I have is one we played at a show, and it's shamefully terrible. The drummer had no clue where he was for basically the whole song :lol:

JRA
04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I could. I've never listened to them before, honestly. Recommendations?

Yeah, I hear ya. I wish I had a good recording of our song "Eternal Exile" - I think you guys would like it. Our vocalist does a much better job on that one then some of the others posted, but the only recording I have is one we played at a show, and it's shamefully terrible. The drummer had no clue where he was for basically the whole song :lol:

Hmmm. Clansman1114? A Little Help? Fuck it, he probably isn't even paying attention to this thread. Well, I suppose either Walls Of Jericho, Keeper Of The Seven Keys Pt. 1 and/or 2 are great choices, although now that I think about it, those are more known for lead work. But if you just want songs, Phantoms Of Death works, as does March of Time, and there's always Halloween.

Note: Whatever you do, do not pay attention to the lyrics.

ChildrenofSodom
04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I have Dark Ride, Keeper II, and Walls of Jericho.....great stuff.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Note: Whatever you do, do not pay attention to the lyrics.

Gotcha.

I'll look into them this week.

SomewhereInTime72
04-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Gotcha.

I'll look into them this week.

Or maybe you will appreciate the cheese...:flame:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Or maybe you will appreciate the cheese...:flame: