PDA

View Full Version : Straight Edge

DethMaiden
04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
So I've been reading up a lot on the influence of straight-edgers in the crossover and hardcore scenes, and how it's crossed over into today's music (Aaron Turner from Isis was an 'edger for a long time, Jake Bannon from Converge still is). I really dig the philosophy behind it and how you'd get "x'ed up" before shows by putting big black "X"s on your hands.

What's everyone's view on this attitude? I think I'm gonna start x'ing up before shows myself...

Div
04-22-2007, 05:25 PM
:confused:

The only time I've ever had an X on my hand was when I saw a show that was in a bar so the bartender knew I was under 21.

DethMaiden
04-22-2007, 05:25 PM

The only time I've ever had an X on my hand was when I saw a show that was in a bar so the bartender knew I was under 21.

Do you know what straight-edge is? X'ing your hands could imply that you were under 21 while still representing that you're an edger.

JRA
04-22-2007, 05:28 PM
So I've been reading up a lot on the influence of straight-edgers in the crossover and hardcore scenes, and how it's crossed over into today's music (Aaron Turner from Isis was an 'edger for a long time, Jake Bannon from Converge still is). I really dig the philosophy behind it and how you'd get "x'ed up" before shows by putting big black "X"s on your hands.

What's everyone's view on this attitude? I think I'm gonna start x'ing up before shows myself...

whaa...? I'm so confused. Can't you just not drink or smoke?

DethMaiden
04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
whaa...? I'm so confused. Can't you just not drink or smoke?

Straight edge (also known as sXe, and xXx) refers to a lifestyle, a personal commitment, a philosophy, and a subculture that is closely associated with their brand of hardcore punk music. Straight edgers abstain from psychoactive drugs (or recreational drugs), including tobacco and alcohol. Some followers of the straight-edge philosophy also abstain from caffeine, promiscuous sex, and the regular use of painkillers.

See above.

Div
04-22-2007, 05:33 PM
xXx

That movie sucked. :lol:

anyway, no thanks. when im 21 ill definatley be enjoying a beer or two when I go to a show. http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8198/iconcheerskt8.gif

DethMaiden
04-22-2007, 05:34 PM
That movie sucked. :lol:

anyway, no thanks. when im 21 ill definatley be enjoying a beer or two when I go to a show. http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8198/iconcheerskt8.gif

Well, I'm just toying with the idea of it. I can always be straight-edge for five years then break it when I'm 21 :D

Div
04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Do you know what straight-edge is? X'ing your hands could imply that you were under 21 while still representing that you're an edger.

:lol: I didn't put it on, the bouncer did.

JRA
04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, I'm just toying with the idea of it. I can always be straight-edge for five years then break it when I'm 21 :D

In other words, obeying the law. ;)

This is the most pointless shit I've ever heard. If you don't want to be involved in drugs or alchohol, cool. That's your choice. But go around declaring it a lifestyle? Puh-lease.

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I think its fine if anyone doesn't wanna do crap like that, but its kind of annoying to make a label of yourself because of it.

Div
04-22-2007, 05:46 PM
This reminds me of those fabled abstinence rings. Has anyone ever actually seen one of those?

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
This reminds me of those fabled abstinence rings. Has anyone ever actually seen one of those?

Do they go on your cock?

MetalDrummer888
04-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Do they go on your cock?

:lol:

overkiller
04-22-2007, 06:33 PM
As I'm sure you all could guess, I've got nothing against alcohol or drug use. Yes, drug abuse is a big problem we face and there is a myriad of opinions on how this problem should be addressed, but me getting drunk or stoned with friends isn't hurting anyone or creating any nationwide crises. As for the whole "gateway drug" thing, I think it's mostly bullshit. If someone starts on marijuana and ends up a coke or heroin addict, there are most likely other factors at work; they weren't somehow suddenly corrupted by smoking bud.

As for my opinion on the whole straight-edge thing, well, if you wanna do that for yourself, that's fine, but don't fucking tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing/using.

Also, as it's very relevant, I'm gonna cite one of the few sensible things I've ever come across on anus.com:

"No society has an original taboo on drugs, except those substances which have proven to be so immediately addictive that they cause visible social degeneration (opiates). Our modern society, realizing that drugs offend our absolutist worldview by providing alternate ways to interpret our perceptual data, has lumped them together and banned them all.

Hallucinogens are the most offensive because they show us that the world exists as data, and our perception of it can be altered, revealing how un-absolute our vision of reality is. This upsets both the control mechanisms of industrial society, and the religious sensibilities of supernaturalists like Christians and Jews. Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam have not experienced these problems.

In the West, fear of drugs and the enforcement of their banning has produced the most repressive regime ever, in which a single phone call suggesting drugs exist at a location produces an immediate raid by machine-gun toting special intrusion units."

overkiller
04-22-2007, 06:35 PM
This is the most pointless shit I've ever heard. If you don't want to be involved in drugs or alchohol, cool. That's your choice. But go around declaring it a lifestyle? Puh-lease.

Yeah.

DethMaiden
04-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, I'm not against drug or alcohol use, nor advocating straight edge. I just think it's kind of cool that I can be proud to say that I'm not into that shit and not feel like an out-of-the-loop loser.

powerslave_85
04-22-2007, 07:09 PM
From what I know from talking to straight edge people, the ones who are serious about it make a huge committment to the lifestyle. If I were you, I wouldn't just go around "x-ing up" at shows, because you're probably gonna get called out as a poseur.

I don't have any problem with it, but a lot of straight-edgers are pretty sanctimonious and annoying about it. Not all, but a lot.

MetalDrummer888
04-22-2007, 07:25 PM
everything in moderation :cool:

Div
04-22-2007, 07:36 PM
It all comes down to your personal responsibility when it comes to drugs. I knew a kid who was a genius, he taught himself computer programming and was making about 10000 bucks a month, then he started doing pot, got hooked, pretty much smoked it 24-7, put up posters of the marijuana leaves all over his room, and by the time he realized what happened his income was down to 1200 a month. It was a shame to see him destroy himself like that. I remember after the first time he tried it he told me how he felt dissapointed in himself for doing it, but unfortunatley his new friends were a bunch of addicts themselves so :/

The problem wasn't the drug itself, it was his lack of self control (and his dumbass "friends" didnt help much either). I don't really care if anyone uses drugs, it's not really any of my business to tell you what you shouldnt do. But I do think the whole sub-culture that sometimes goes with it is pretty lame.

SirLardsAlot
04-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Being the forum's resident "straight edge", lemme throw in my 2 cents.

I myself have never drank, never smoked, never done any drugs in my life, and I honestly have no desire to ever take part in said events. I feel no need to, I see no fun in doing it, I can have a perfectly good time being completely sober. And yes, I often shake my head at friends that do it and say "Bad kids." and whatnot, BUT I do not take part in the whole "sXe" thing. That's just stupid. Likfe Div said, the only time I've ever had X's on my hands at a concert was because they were at bars and it was to show I wasn't 21. People and bands that preach about how you shouldn't do it are just a bit .... out there.

But in the same respect, I can't stand people who go around glorifying alcohol and drug use. I tried avoiding that"Happy 420" thread because I knew it would just be "Duuuuude, hell yeaaah, weeeed lololol" which jus pisses me off. I can't stand people who sit there and turn these "activities" into lifestlyes and promote it like that. If you do it, fine, go ahead, but I really don't need to hear about how high you got and what fucked up things you did.

That being said, I'm currently listening to Alice Cooper. :party:

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2007, 07:55 PM

I myself have never drank, never smoked, never done any drugs in my life, and I honestly have no desire to ever take part in said events. I feel no need to, I see no fun in doing it, I can have a perfectly good time being completely sober. And yes, I often shake my head at friends that do it and say "Bad kids." and whatnot, BUT I do not take part in the whole "sXe" thing. That's just stupid. Likfe Div said, the only time I've ever had X's on my hands at a concert was because they were at bars and it was to show I wasn't 21. People and bands that preach about how you shouldn't do it are just a bit .... out there.

But in the same respect, I can't stand people who go around glorifying alcohol and drug use. I tried avoiding that"Happy 420" thread because I knew it would just be "Duuuuude, hell yeaaah, weeeed lololol" which jus pisses me off. I can't stand people who sit there and turn these "activities" into lifestlyes and promote it like that. If you do it, fine, go ahead, but I really don't need to hear about how high you got and what fucked up things you did.

L@rd$ :rocker: :rocker:

es156
04-22-2007, 08:07 PM
L@rd$ :rocker: :rocker:

:fist:

zgodt
04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I smoke crack but only as a political act.

ADD
04-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I think its fine if anyone doesn't wanna do crap like that, but its kind of annoying to make a label of yourself because of it.

Exactly.

ADD
04-22-2007, 09:40 PM
"No society has an original taboo on drugs, except those substances which have proven to be so immediately addictive that they cause visible social degeneration (opiates). Our modern society, realizing that drugs offend our absolutist worldview by providing alternate ways to interpret our perceptual data, has lumped them together and banned them all.

Hallucinogens are the most offensive because they show us that the world exists as data, and our perception of it can be altered, revealing how un-absolute our vision of reality is. This upsets both the control mechanisms of industrial society, and the religious sensibilities of supernaturalists like Christians and Jews. Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam have not experienced these problems.

In the West, fear of drugs and the enforcement of their banning has produced the most repressive regime ever, in which a single phone call suggesting drugs exist at a location produces an immediate raid by machine-gun toting special intrusion units."

EvilCheeseWedge
04-22-2007, 10:20 PM
From what I understand in Ohio there are cases of "Straight Edgers" violently assaulting people that aren't Straight Edge at shows. I know a DJ that was actually confronted by them before. Some people in a larger band around here also warned me to watch out for them.

To me it’s nothing more then bumper sticker politics.

hot_turkey_ed
04-22-2007, 10:35 PM
From what I understand in Ohio there are cases of "Straight Edgers" violently assaulting people that aren't Straight Edge at shows. I know a DJ that was actually confronted by them before. Some people in a larger band around here also warned me to watch out for them.

To me it’s nothing more then bumper sticker politics.

:allan:

DethMaiden
04-23-2007, 03:18 AM
From what I know from talking to straight edge people, the ones who are serious about it make a huge committment to the lifestyle. If I were you, I wouldn't just go around "x-ing up" at shows, because you're probably gonna get called out as a poseur.

I don't have any problem with it, but a lot of straight-edgers are pretty sanctimonious and annoying about it. Not all, but a lot.

See, that's sort of what I was afraid of. I don't want to invade on something that they take super-seriously unless I'm totally sure on it. I mean, I can follow straight-edge without being "an edger".

Truth :fist:

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Well, I'm not against drug or alcohol use, nor advocating straight edge. I just think it's kind of cool that I can be proud to say that I'm not into that shit and not feel like an out-of-the-loop loser.

I pride myself in being one of the few people at metals that is is sober and dry..I can enjoy the music more and I am sure I dont feel as shitty the morning after:tp: .

Oh, and because I am a goody-goody that never drinks or smokes, and have never broken a serious law in my entire life :hecho:

JRA
04-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Oh, and because I am a goody-goody that never drinks or smokes, and have never broken a serious law in my entire life :hecho:

You're missing an ending to that sentence.:D

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 11:47 AM
You're missing an ending to that sentence.:D

hot_turkey_ed
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
See, that's sort of what I was afraid of. I don't want to invade on something that they take super-seriously unless I'm totally sure on it. I mean, I can follow straight-edge without being "an edger".

Don't worry about it. Do your own thing. :fist:

Maiden33
04-23-2007, 12:06 PM

I am in 100% support of everything you just said. There's now no need for me to reply because you said just about everything I was gonna say, nearly word for word. :party:

The only difference being that I have tried certain alcoholic beverages and tried pot and cigs when I was younger and curious, but I think it took those stupid decisions to realize how stupid all that stuff is. I just see no motivation to do it, and feel that there is no good reason to do it, which I think is something people need to think about. The fact that in 99% of all cases, there is no legit good reason to do any of that stuff.

overkiller
04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I just see no motivation to do it, and feel that there is no good reason to do it, which I think is something people need to think about. The fact that in 99% of all cases, there is no legit good reason to do any of that stuff.

See, that's the kind of bullshit I hate. Go to hell.

powerslave_85
04-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Seriously. Under that brilliant logic, there's really no reason to ever do anything other than breathe, eat, drink water, and sleep.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Seriously. Under that brilliant logic, there's really no reason to ever do anything other than breathe, eat, drink water, and sleep.

True, but I see where he's coming from. I have never felt the urge to do drugs or smoke or drink....Thats not to say other people dont feel that way, but I am guessing that Maiden33 abstains from those things because he doesnt have the urge to try them.

DethMaiden
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm completely libertarian on the issue. I don't want to. Doesn't mean you can't.

ADD
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I am in 100% support of everything you just said. There's now no need for me to reply because you said just about everything I was gonna say, nearly word for word. :party:

The only difference being that I have tried certain alcoholic beverages and tried pot and cigs when I was younger and curious, but I think it took those stupid decisions to realize how stupid all that stuff is. I just see no motivation to do it, and feel that there is no good reason to do it, which I think is something people need to think about. The fact that in 99% of all cases, there is no legit good reason to do any of that stuff.

What's the motivation for listening or playing music then? Oh, you like doing it? Well there's a thought.......... :hecho:

Maiden33
04-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Alright, I'm gonna speak my mind here.

I'm gonna be frank. Unless you have some sort of medicinal use for it, there is NO legitimate good reason to drink, smoke, or do drugs. I do not frown upon drinking in moderation occasionaly, but I do not condone it for any other reason. Drinking, at least among everyone I've ever known, has served one of two purposes:
-As an easy way out to avoid coping with their problems, or
-As a social lubricant of sorts, primarily to fit in because it's supposed to be the "cool" thing to do
I find that most people who drink lack some sort of ability, whether it be the ability to cope with their problems or the lack to resist the will of others.
On the other hand, I see even less of a reason to do most drugs. Again, it's not exactly like I'm gonna ostricize smokers or anything, but I think anyone that even was dumb enough to try it was, at least at some point (myself included) to weak to resist their own curiosity and the will of others.
On the matter of drinking again, I think the most bullshit reason in the world has to be that people do it to have a good time. Don't these people realize that there's tons of great ways to have fun that don't involve getting intoxicated to the point of stupidity and making an ass out of yourself? I personally have a great time on a regular basis with friends and we never drink or do drugs.
So again, I shall revert back to my original statement, which is that, with only a few small exceptions, there is no legitimately good reason to do any of these things. The majority of all reasons most people would throw me are all just variations on what I've said, and in some way reveal some form of insecurity or weakness in yourself.

And that's all I have to say.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Alright, I'm gonna speak my mind here.

I'm gonna be frank. Unless you have some sort of medicinal use for it, there is NO legitimate good reason to drink, smoke, or do drugs. I do not frown upon drinking in moderation occasionaly, but I do not condone it for any other reason. Drinking, at least among everyone I've ever known, has served one of two purposes:
-As an easy way out to avoid coping with their problems, or
-As a social lubricant of sorts, primarily to fit in because it's supposed to be the "cool" thing to do
I find that most people who drink lack some sort of ability, whether it be the ability to cope with their problems or the lack to resist the will of others.
On the other hand, I see even less of a reason to do most drugs. Again, it's not exactly like I'm gonna ostricize smokers or anything, but I think anyone that even was dumb enough to try it was, at least at some point (myself included) to weak to resist their own curiosity and the will of others.
On the matter of drinking again, I think the most bullshit reason in the world has to be that people do it to have a good time. Don't these people realize that there's tons of great ways to have fun that don't involve getting intoxicated to the point of stupidity and making an ass out of yourself? I personally have a great time on a regular basis with friends and we never drink or do drugs.
So again, I shall revert back to my original statement, which is that, with only a few small exceptions, there is no legitimately good reason to do any of these things. The majority of all reasons most people would throw me are all just variations on what I've said, and in some way reveal some form of insecurity or weakness in yourself.

And that's all I have to say.

Can I get an umbrella for the approaching shitstorm? :eyes:

powerslave_85
04-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Unless you have some sort of medicinal use for it, there is NO legitimate good reason to drink, smoke, or do drugs.
Most of the experts agree that a daily glass of beer or red wine is good for you.

Maiden33
04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Can I get an umbrella for the approaching shitstorm? :eyes:

I've already got mine out. I get shit for doing nothing so I can only imagine.

Maiden33
04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Most of the experts agree that a daily glass of beer or red wine is good for you.

I know this. I'm not suggesting that all drinking is horrible, I said somewhere in my post that I think light drinking on occasion is fine.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 06:07 PM
To each to their own. I don't want to get moral on anybody and I don't anybody getting moral with me.

That being said... archeology would have never existed without alcohol, neither any of the other social sciences or even geology... I just can't keep up with geologists, those guys are some special breed :lol:

es156
04-23-2007, 06:11 PM
That being said... archeology would have never existed without alcohol, neither any of the other social sciences or even geology

I can't wait to hear the explanation for this statement....

VainGloryOpera
04-23-2007, 06:11 PM

I rarely post on here...but I couldn't let this go.

Maiden33 is clearly not the one who needs to go to hell here...

So you geniuses are trying to say that breathing, eating, drinking water and sleeping are just as important as going out and drinking and doing drugs just to be "cool" with your friends?

You should look at your own brilliant logic.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 06:12 PM
My friend works for Clear Channel out in Indiana, but before that, he used to be a DJ on Internet radio. Last year on spring break I showed up to his house at 10 in the morning. The mofo was sitting there - on air - chugging bottles of beer to the Olympics theme music :lol:

All the belching woke his dad up, who came into the kitchen and said, "You didn't just drink all my beer did you?"

"No."

And then his dad said, "Well, okay." And went back to bed :lol:

I love those folks.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 06:12 PM

It would require massive consumption of alcohol to explain and understand. :eyes:

es156
04-23-2007, 06:13 PM

:tp:

Div
04-23-2007, 06:14 PM
THe problem isn't really the drug itself, its certain people who give it bad stereotypes. People can go to a tavern and have a good time without acting like jackasses, but then theres always some stupid college girl who will go to a party and brag about drinking like its some kind of fucking accomplishment
"thisweekendwasgreatihadtwoshotsofcranberryvodkand twojackandcokesapintofbostonlagerblahblahblahtheni threwupitwassoamazingohmygawd" :hecho:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 06:14 PM
:tp:
http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/red_wine.html

powerslave_85
04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
The mofo was sitting there - on air - chugging bottles of beer to the Olympics theme music :lol:I like his style :lol:

"thisweekendwasgreatihadtwoshotsofcranberryvodkand twojackandcokesapintofbostonlagerblahblahblahtheni threwupitwassoamazingohmygawd"Sounds like my friend (whose birthday we were celebrating) after we left the bar the other night. She tried to say something like "Yeah, thanks for coming, Nick!" but it came out more like "Asdlcvm,nweoriuNICK!" :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I like his style :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nf2Qjj9SHWc

That's him... not the actual event I'm referring to, but that first clip is him chugging while on air :lol:

powerslave_85
04-23-2007, 06:24 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nf2Qjj9SHWc

That's him... not the actual event I'm referring to, but that first clip is him chugging while on air :lol:
I dare say your heroic intake of sugary colas might be worse for your health than his beer drinking ;) :tongue:

es156
04-23-2007, 06:24 PM
http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/red_wine.html

I'm not debating the "nutritional facts" I am ridiculing the justification of drinking by using the "nutritional value" argument.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 06:28 PM
THe problem isn't really the drug itself, its certain people who give it bad stereotypes. People can go to a tavern and have a good time without acting like jackasses, but then theres always some stupid college girl who will go to a party and brag about drinking like its some kind of fucking accomplishment
"thisweekendwasgreatihadtwoshotsofcranberryvodkand twojackandcokesapintofbostonlagerblahblahblahtheni threwupitwassoamazingohmygawd" :hecho:

After we saw Sepultura and Sworn Enemy (it was either that or Mastodon), Brad and my uncle and I went to a waffle house, and a group of drunks came stumbling in and ordered a hash browns "smothered, covered, buttered, blubbered, eohiandoenaoineklqipionqpnaln.zonpienwoandoin45419 6wmnipad." Then they proceeded to lead the whole diner in their own drunken version of "I Got Friends In Low Places." :hecho:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
I dare say your heroic intake of sugary colas might be worse for your health than his beer drinking ;) :tongue:
That's another funny story. This dude is crazy. He once did this promotion for his radio show where he drank a Dew every 10 minutes for 24 hours. He didnt make it, but it was awful while he was doing it. He was seriously going to the restroom about every 10 minutes too :lol:

No, this guy has drank far too much soda. He was actually hospitalized with kidney problems a few years ago. Oh yeah, and he did the Dew Every 10 after that. (Wanna guess who got hospitalized again not long after?)

The guy is seriously insane... not gonna lie :lol:

Div
04-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I knew a guy who ate a "heart attack sandwhich" once. 20 strips of bacon, whole stick of butter, mayo, cheese, some other shit, on white bread.

ive got no idea how he was able to not throw up after that.

hot_turkey_ed

:badidea:

I hate that kind of bullshit.

:thelaw:

MetalDrummer888
After we saw Sepultura and Sworn Enemy (it was either that or Mastodon), Brad and my uncle and I went to a waffle house, and a group of drunks came stumbling in and ordered a hash browns "smothered, covered, buttered, blubbered, eohiandoenaoineklqipionqpnaln.zonpienwoandoin45419 6wmnipad." Then they proceeded to lead the whole diner in their own drunken version of "I Got Friends In Low Places." :hecho:

sounds like what i did over the weekend

except for us it was Then I Saw Her Face that we were singing

good times :)

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I knew a guy who ate a "heart attack sandwhich" once. 20 strips of bacon, whole stick of butter, mayo, cheese, some other shit, on white bread.

Yeah... that's pretty crazy :lol:

JRA
04-23-2007, 06:41 PM

I could do that. Well, if you took out the butter, cheese, mayo, white bread, and put the 20 strips of bacon in one of dem quarter pound burgers.

Goddamn, that sounds delicious. :bliss:

Bouville
04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Alcohol is a mechanism of social cohesion. Like or not it is a prehistorical and anthropological proven fact. Not only that but the organization of feasting activities where authorities, aggrandizers or entrepreneurs where responsible of providing food and beverages to the rest of the community in order to create debt. The creation of debt would be enforced by deriving human resources and other type of resources towards the projects that authorities felt needed to be done, even personal projects.

On the other hand there are proven archaeological as well as anthropological cases where the consumptions of alcohol was related with the development of major social projects as the construction of irrigation canals, shelters and other communal structures. Social cohesion again being the key words.

And regarding hallucinogens... don't you guys know about traditional non western medicine? I mean, to each to their own, but please do not be an essentialist, western values should not be applied universally to every cultural practice.

JRA
04-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I mean, to each to their own, but please do not be an essentialist, western values should not be applied universally to every cultural practice.

If that happened, the whole world would be listening to Fall Out Boy.

:hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 06:47 PM
sounds like what i did over the weekend

except for us it was Then I Saw Her Face that we were singing

good times :)

But we werent singing, we were almost dead from the Brazilian sonic assault we had endured :shred:

Bouville
04-23-2007, 06:50 PM
If that happened, the whole world would be listening to Fall Out Boy.

:hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho:

We all should get Norwegian and listen to Mayhem :lol:

Bouville
04-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Just go to a field season... I ain't telling anything... just go and you will know :allan:

es156
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Alcohol is a mechanism of social cohesion. Like or not it is a prehistorical and anthropological proven fact. Not only that but the organization of feasting activities where authorities, aggrandizers or entrepreneurs where responsible of providing food and beverages to the rest of the community in order to create debt. The creation of debt would be enforced by deriving human resources and other type of resources towards the projects that authorities felt needed to be done, even personal projects.

On the other hand there are proven archaeological as well as anthropological cases where the consumptions of alcohol was related with the development of major social projects as the construction of irrigation canals, shelters and other communal structures. Social cohesion again being the key words.

And regarding hallucinogens... don't you guys know about traditional non western medicine? I mean, to each to their own, but please do not be an essentialist, western values should not be applied universally to every cultural practice.

Wow, this thread continues to amaze me. So now modern man cannot obtain "social cohesion" without alcohol? Should modern man include alcohol as a basic tool for building communal structures? We would end up with some extremely bad architecture.

Seriously, you can find historical precedence for just about anything, but that doesn't justify those things in modern times.

JRA
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Wow, this thread continues to amaze me. So now modern man cannot obtain "social cohesion" without alcohol? Should modern man include alcohol as a basic tool for building communal structures? We would end up with some extremely bad architecture.

The Leaning Tower of Piza would be shaped like a vagina! :party:

:eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Seriously, you can find historical precedence for just about anything, but that doesn't justify those things in modern times.

Hell yeah man. I always sacrifice a virgin before I harvest the maize and cocoa.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Modern man or not, alcohol is an important part of social life, and of course there are different ways to develop social bonds, I have never stated that alcohol is the only element to acquire social cohesion. As I said before I am not getting moral and certainly I cannot as a social scientist. I am just stating the facts.

And when you say modern man I think you are probably referring to western societies...mmmmm..well, there is more in the world than western societies.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
And when you say modern man I think you are probably referring to western societies...mmmmm..well, there is more in the world than western societies.

But we are only talking about drug and alcohol use in the Modern world. Everyone on this board is living in the Western world...We arent on a laptop in the middle of the Congo.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Hell yeah man. I always sacrifice a virgin before I harvest the maize and cocoa.

Give me one example of that in the prehistoric world. And I think you mean coca and not cocoa.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:18 PM
But we are only talking about drug and alcohol use in the Modern world. Everyone on this board is living in the Western world...We arent on a laptop in the middle of the Congo.

Exactly, thinking outside the cultural box is a good intellectual exercise. Instead of being self centered it is good to think beyond the limits imposed by our cultural values.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Give me one example of that in the prehistoric world. And I think you mean coca and not cocoa.

yeah. I am not an archaeologist, nor am I claiming to be one. I was just using a hollywood stereotype to exaggerate the idea that every aspect of social cohesion is still in use.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:20 PM
yeah. I am not an archaeologist, nor am I claiming to be one. I was just using a hollywood stereotype to exaggerate the idea that every aspect of social cohesion is still in use.

wow....

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Exactly, thinking outside the cultural box is a good intellectual exercise. Instead of being self centered it is good to think beyond the limits imposed by our cultural values.

:fist:

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM

In my opinion, the conditions, tendencies, and habits of our culture (no matter how brain-dead or materialistic they are) are more favorable than those of the less-industrialized world.....Not saying they cant believe in and participate in those non-Western customs, but I am used to Western culture, and that is what I prefer.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:23 PM
wow....

I think all the black metal has deadened any ability to pick up sarcasm you might have once had.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
In my opinion, the conditions, tendencies, and habits of our culture (no matter how brain-dead or materialistic they are) are more favorable than those of the less-industrialized world.....Not saying they cant believe in and participate in those non-Western customs, but I am used to Western culture, and that is what I prefer.
Can you really "prefer" chocolate to vanilla if you have never tried vanilla?

Div
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I think all the black metal has deadened any ability to pick up sarcasm you might have once had.

you shouldnt ridicule our senior citizens :party:

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Can you really "prefer" chocolate to vanilla if you have never tried vanilla?

Uh..no, but those are sweets, not major lifestyle changes from openly available, scientifically-proven medication and a care-free life to experimental medicines and possibly dangerous and unfamilar animals. :eyes: :tongue:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Uh..no, but those are sweets, not major lifestyle changes from openly available, scientifically-proven medication and a care-free life to experimental medicines and possibly dangerous and unfamilar animals. :eyes: :tongue:
:hmm:

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM

To each to their own. I prefer to call myself a citizen of the world, learning and experiencing different cultures, learning how values are culturally conditioned and change spatially and chronologically. I think the world is a wonderful multicultural place that it would be a waste just to hide in safe place and not enjoy what's out there, beyond the boundaries of my own culture.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:32 PM

I though you were calling homeland security.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
:hmm:

Cheese rules :flame:

Wait a minute :eyes:

es156
04-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Modern man or not, alcohol is an important part of social life, and of course there are different ways to develop social bonds, I have never stated that alcohol is the only element to acquire social cohesion. As I said before I am not getting moral and certainly I cannot as a social scientist. I am just stating the facts.

It is a part, but I think important would be debatable.

Why would you assume that modern man = western societies in my mind? Do non-western societies get drunk and build buildings as a normal state of affairs? I don't make that assumption, by any means. I have not traveled like you have, but I assume that when the Japanese build a building they don't get drunk first. What part of my post would lead you to make that statement?

You remind us constantly that there is a world outside of our borders. I haven't forgotten since the last time. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I though you were calling homeland security.

You should start calling me fascist teenager :eyes: :bouville:

es156
04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I think the world is a wonderful multicultural place that it would be a waste just to hide in safe place and not enjoy what's out there, beyond the boundaries of my own culture.

Maybe you should go to a Michael Bolton concert....

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
To each to their own. I prefer to call myself a citizen of the world, learning and experiencing different cultures, learning how values are culturally conditioned and change spatially and chronologically. I think the world is a wonderful multicultural place that it would be a waste just to hide in safe place and not enjoy what's out there, beyond the boundaries of my own culture.

Well, I am considering going into the field of sociology, anthropology, cultural studies, religion, philosophy, politics (all that jazz), but for some reason I think the way I live now (the way my family lives) would be the place to settle down.

es156
04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
you shouldnt ridicule our senior citizens :party:

I agree!

:party:

oh, wait.....

JRA
04-23-2007, 07:40 PM

I was blowing my nose when I read that and I proceeded to make the oddest laughing sound ever to come out of my mouth.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
It is a part, but I think important would be debatable.

That's fair, I do think it is important.

Why would you assume that modern man = western societies in my mind? Do non-western societies get drunk and build buildings as a normal state of affairs? I don't make that assumption, by any means. I have not traveled like you have, but I assume that when the Japanese build a building they don't get drunk first. What part of my post would lead you to make that statement?

In 2005 I was the curator of a archaeological exhibition in Spain. It was like 10 am and the museographer and the workers stopped working. They all said that it was beer time, for fucks sake it was 10 am in the freaking morning! You know what they say, when you go to Rome, do what Romans do. So I went down to the bar with them, spent 30 minutes having a beer, chatting, eating bread and butter, then we all went back to work. It was fascinating. Of course you don't have a protestan work ethic in Spain, so much for Calvinism as Max Weber liked to talk about. See, there are factors that condition cultural practices, religion for example. I hope this example helps, it is not about building temples or churches but I think it is relevant.

You remind us constantly that there is a world outside of our borders. I haven't forgotten since the last time. ;)

Someone has to do it :lol:

hot_turkey_ed
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM

It's an oldie: http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews.cfm/id/1054/page/top____most_ridiculous_black_metal_pics_of_all_tim e.html

You should study Immortal.... :D

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
I've been to Sweden. Best time of my fucking life. But thats still Western...if it werent for the inconvenient taxes, I would live there.

EvilCheeseWedge
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
a Michael Bolton concert

...would require a vast quantity of alcohol if one were to attempt to make it through it.

Bouville
04-23-2007, 07:48 PM

So have you gone? :eyes:

es156
04-23-2007, 08:32 PM
So have you gone? :eyes:

Let's just say that sometimes marriage requires personal sacrifice........sometimes extreme personal sacrifice.

es156
04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
In 2005 I was the curator of a archaeological exhibition in Spain. It was like 10 am and the museographer and the workers stopped working. They all said that it was beer time, for fucks sake it was 10 am in the freaking morning! You know what they say, when you go to Rome, do what Romans do. So I went down to the bar with them, spent 30 minutes having a beer, chatting, eating bread and butter, then we all went back to work. It was fascinating. Of course you don't have a protestan work ethic in Spain, so much for Calvinism as Max Weber liked to talk about. See, there are factors that condition cultural practices, religion for example. I hope this example helps, it is not about building temples or churches but I think it is relevant.

That is a good point and I am sure that it was an interesting adventure. How long were you there? Do other professions (bankers, etc) take the same kind of mid-morning beer breaks?

Someone has to do it :lol:

Very true.

es156
04-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I was blowing my nose when I read that and I proceeded to make the oddest laughing sound ever to come out of my mouth.

:D

overkiller
04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
This thread is now about Manowar

http://www.c-rap.com/images/ass/rants%203/manowar.jpg

overkiller
04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.ori0n.it/files/copertine/cover-manowar-anthology.jpg

Bouville
04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
That is a good point and I am sure that it was an interesting adventure. How long were you there? Do other professions (bankers, etc) take the same kind of mid-morning beer breaks?

I lived in Madrid in 1995 for six months (I was ta'ing in a Preshitory class), went back in 2005 twice, for a month and for two weeks because of my job at the Museum in Perú.

Bankers or other "wearing a suit" workers for example have lunch as their beer time and depending on the season, it can be brandy or scotch. Even professors at universities (I can talk from my experience in the Alcalá de Henares University), for example there are beer expending machines in the hallways on campus. Construction workers take mid-morning beer breaks.

In 1998 we were on a dig in a freaking arid land, it was like 11 am and the field supervisor told one of the workers to get beer for everybody. We were excavating a 600 AD cemetery and it was just funny as hell that each of us had a bottle of beer next to our burials. And it felt ok as we discovered that the burials were being "feed" by inserting small tubes into the burial where -we assumed- family members would pour corn beer into the graves. Actually we found sediments in some bowls and composition analysis revealed that it was corn beer! So it felt ok to drink while digging.

Wrathchild_84
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
It's fine if you don't want to drink or smoke but in most of my experiences most straight edge kids have been nothing more than self-righteous elitist assholes that try to shove they're views and opinions down your throat. I don't drink and I don't smoke but I don't go around telling everybody else that they have to do the same.