PDA

View Full Version : This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen

powerslave_85
04-19-2007, 07:35 PM
So, Nine Inch Nails' new album is a concept record, and I'm not really sure yet what the whole story is, but it's mostly about an oppressive government, censorship, paranoia, etc. Well, apparently their website or something had a secret phone number or something, and if you called they left you a message telling you to go to a location. The people who showed up got a talk about the "Open Source Resistance," then got herded into an elevator, which took them downstairs where Nine Inch Nails played a surprise 6-song set, which ended with the whole thing getting raided by a SWAT team, guns drawn and everything. You can watch the video here: http://www.opensourceresistance.net/

Goddamn, I wish more bands would do exciting, spontaneous shit like this.

ADD
04-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Man, I really wish this band made better music. Too bad.

MetalDrummer888
04-19-2007, 07:47 PM
that is really cool and creative

Div
04-19-2007, 08:08 PM
If only Queensryche did that with Mindcrime... :drool:

MetalDrummer888
04-19-2007, 08:25 PM

that would be sick.

to bad tates a fucking prick :hecho:

DethMaiden
04-20-2007, 02:36 AM

I see your :drool: and raise you a...oh, no *creams self* smilies :eyes:

zgodt
04-20-2007, 05:08 AM
The link to QR has me wondering. What do you guys think of the point of this exercise, then? Why would you wish QR had done it?

EvilCheeseWedge
04-20-2007, 06:39 AM
The link to QR has me wondering. What do you guys think of the point of this exercise, then? Why would you wish QR had done it?
I don't wish they would've done it. The Mindcrime story is quite a bit different then the Year Zero story/game. I think this game built around Year Zero fits the concept of the album very well.

http://www.ninwiki.com - all the information about the game you could want to know, very interesting, lots of good stuff to read

Plus no matter how cool it is, it's still the result of a marketing firm ;)

zgodt
04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I don't wish they would've done it. The Mindcrime story is quite a bit different then the Year Zero story/game. I think this game built around Year Zero fits the concept of the album very well.

http://www.ninwiki.com - all the information about the game you could want to know, very interesting, lots of good stuff to read

Plus no matter how cool it is, it's still the result of a marketing firm ;)
So there's no actual "resistance" -- it's basically a role-playing game?

EvilCheeseWedge
04-20-2007, 08:30 AM
So there's no actual "resistance" -- it's basically a role-playing game?
Yeah, I think so.

zgodt
04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I think so.
Do we then assume that the SWAT team was staged too? :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
04-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Do we then assume that the SWAT team was staged too? :lol:
Yeah... pretty sure. :lol:

zgodt
04-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm trying to decide to what degree this takes the whole enterprise from "cool" to "sad."

I guess it depends on what's going on in everyone's minds. Like, are they being manipulated into actually thinking the new NIN album is part of some significant grassroots resistance movement? And if so, is it possible (in true "open source" fashion) that the believers could actually run with it and turn it into some kind of clever campaign of genuine dissent (that is, without NIN showing up to play for free at their "secret meetings" :lol: ). Or once the album comes out and the buzz dies down, is this all going to just be some weird folklore moment that we'll be watching a VH1 special about in 2 years?

Or is everyone in on the joke, and just along for the ride -- like a souped up version of lasertag, or something...

EvilCheeseWedge
04-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Or is everyone in on the joke, and just along for the ride -- like a souped up version of lasertag, or something...

I think it's this. I'm sure some people have stumbled on to some of the websites and not really known what the deal is, but especially the in person stuff (the concerpt thing and whatnot) well, those people of course now that it's not "real" ;)

powerslave_85
04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I think it's this. I'm sure some people have stumbled on to some of the websites and not really known what the deal is, but especially the in person stuff (the concerpt thing and whatnot) well, those people of course now that it's not "real" ;)
What he said. Some of the people in the video definitely looked pretty scared when the SWAT team showed up, but I think they figured out it was staged pretty quickly.

zgodt
04-20-2007, 09:08 AM
It's a pretty fucking slick marketing campaign, then. It seems expensive, too. I wonder how well it will pay off...

powerslave_85
04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
It reminds me of what AFI did last year. There was this whole "mystery" that had to be deciphered from a ridiculous number of clues, including lots of websites and phone numbers, but the people who figured it out were told to meet at a park, where they got tickets and backstage passes to a special show. It was basically the same, but without the political message.

zgodt
04-20-2007, 10:02 AM
It was basically the same, but without the political message.

Do you think Reznor and co. intend a genuine political message with this? If so they're swindling everyone.

I mean, liberate yourself... by following the step-by-step instructions laid out by our marketing campaign? :eyes:

powerslave_85
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Do you think Reznor and co. intend a genuine political message with this? If so they're swindling everyone.

I mean, liberate yourself... by following the step-by-step instructions laid out by our marketing campaign? :eyes:
Well, I just meant that it didn't have those kinds of undertones.

I think it's hard to say if they're actually trying to make a statement. Judging from the lyrics and the general theme, I think they definitely are saying something about society and politics and whatnot, especially in "Survivalism" and "Capital G." I don't think that's the main aim of the marketing, though. That part of it just strikes me as part of a story.

zgodt
04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Well, I just meant that it didn't have those kinds of undertones.

I think it's hard to say if they're actually trying to make a statement. Judging from the lyrics and the general theme, I think they definitely are saying something about society and politics and whatnot, especially in "Survivalism" and "Capital G." I don't think that's the main aim of the marketing, though. That part of it just strikes me as part of a story.

What you say makes sense, grasshopper.

Maiden33
04-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Original Mindcrime, yes. Not that garbage-disposal-worthy Mindcrime II malarky.
Though to be honest, Queensryche and Mindcrime are growing a bit old. I've seen the album done live 3 times since February 2005, I think they should give it a rest for a while. Just cause its one of the best concept albums (or albums) ever made doesnt mean they should continue flogging a dead horse.
I'm expecting to see an Operation:Mindcrime III as Queensryche's farewell album a few years from now... ;) :eyes:

Div
04-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Original Mindcrime, yes. Not that garbage-disposal-worthy Mindcrime II malarky.
Though to be honest, Queensryche and Mindcrime are growing a bit old. I've seen the album done live 3 times since February 2005, I think they should give it a rest for a while. Just cause its one of the best concept albums (or albums) ever made doesnt mean they should continue flogging a dead horse.
I'm expecting to see an Operation:Mindcrime III as Queensryche's farewell album a few years from now... ;) :eyes:

I agree, Mindcrime is overplayed. When I saw them they didn't play any MC songs, which was refreshing. They should do that more often.

DethMaiden
04-20-2007, 12:33 PM
This Queensrÿche hate makes me want to kill someone...

powerslave_85
04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
This Queensrÿche hate makes me want to kill someone...
Same here, but only because it's off topic.

SomewhereInTime72
04-21-2007, 02:41 PM
This is awesome. I hope this happens near me, or something.