PDA

View Full Version : Metal Tours Skipping The San Francisco Bay Area

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Check out this blog piece by Cheryl Eddy on the state of metal in the San Francisco Bay Area. (http://www.metalsetlists.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=13d)

"Since the Pound closed, other people have had to step up. I was hoping that Slim's would really pick up on it, and they've taken some of it," he says, adding that venues such as the Oakland Metro, Bottom of the Hill, and the Great American Music Hall have also begun booking more metal shows. However, he continues, "I've noticed that we've lost a lot of [metal shows], because a lot of the tours are skipping over the Bay Area now."

Immediately after the Pound's closure, the Bourbon Street Bar & Grill in Concord looked like it would pick up slack. Now it just has karaoke on the calendar. The Oakland Metro has had a couple of shows. Certainly, Slim's has put on the most but it's just economical for a 100 person Goatwhore shows.

Extreme metal is largely skipping the Bay Area now, and a lot of us are having to look toward Southern California for our fix. Savage and Insipid used to put on the chunk of those shows here. I count on one hand, a couple of fingers really, the number of metal gig on their calendar. Gone are the $10-$20 just-check-em-out shows I enjoyed so much at the Pound. Sure, LA has them a plenty but what's the point of a $15 show when it costs $150 in gas and requires so much damn time just for travel?

MetalDrummer888
04-15-2007, 05:19 PM
i dunno . . . . im going to see finntroll, nightwish, and edguy this fall, all at slims.

The pound will be missed, but slims is taking hold of the flame as best it can imo.

of course, there are those damned pillars :mad:

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 05:24 PM
i dunno . . . . im going to see finntroll, nightwish, and edguy this fall, all at slims.

The pound will be missed, but slims is taking hold of the flame as best it can imo.

of course, there are those damned pillars :mad:

Operative words in your post: THIS FALL. Until then... ?????

I will be seeing those shows too. All of those bands will sell out Slim's.

The bigger point: Do you remember when the Pound would have 20+ metal shows alone on its schedule?

Bouville
04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
I want back the shitty hole back where I could see extreme bands for 15 bucks, hang out with another 50 extreme metalheads who have their shit together and know their metal

:hmm:

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I want back the shitty hole back where I could see extreme bands for 15 bucks, hang out with another 50 extreme metal heads who have their shit together and know their metal

:hmm:

Once or twice a year, Bouville concisely and correctly nails it... :fist:

MetalDrummer888
04-15-2007, 05:37 PM
see its different for me, because i cant drive and im not the same age as you guys so i could never just go to every metal show and get wasted down there 2 times a month . . . i would have loved to, but it just wasnt a possibility for me. Now that it is, it is indeed said that the one place i could do that has closed

but in terms of seeing bands that i actually really want to see, i think slims is holding up pretty well.

Bouville
04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
see its different for me, because i cant drive and im not the same age as you guys so i could never just go to every metal show and get wasted down there 2 times a month . . . i would have loved to, but it just wasnt a possibility for me. Now that it is, it is indeed said that the one place i could do that has closed

but in terms of seeing bands that i actually really want to see, i think slims is holding up pretty well.

It is not about getting wasted. For example, Slim's will never take Amorphis as a headliner nor, Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, Goatwhore nor Therion. Those bands could only take a max of 100 people here and that's not business for Slim's. The club scene has been shoot to death.

JRA
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM
It is not about getting wasted. For example, Slim's will never take Amorphis as a headliner nor, Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, Goatwhore nor Therion. Those bands could only take a max of 100 people here and that's not business for Slim's. The club scene has been shoot to death.

How much does Slim's hold?

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM

Twice a month? Not even twice a year. It's a novelty to get wasted at a concert... I'm usually driving Bouville around instead. :dorky:

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 06:16 PM

500 +/- is capacity. I've been to shows there with attendence higher than that. Slim's packed is probably 750-800.

Bouville
04-15-2007, 06:18 PM

http://www.ovahere.com/Directory/VenueDetail.aspx?ID=26495

More than 1000 people. We need a shitty club perfectly comfortable with having an attendance of 50 metalheads :hmm:

MetalDrummer888
04-15-2007, 06:32 PM
It is not about getting wasted.

i know ;)

ADD
04-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Personally, not a week has gone by I think where there hasn't been a show I've wanted to hit around here. Maybe its cuz I'm more aware now, or have broader taste, I dunno, but the Pound closing hasn't really affected as far as how I see the amount of possible shows around here.

ADD
04-15-2007, 07:46 PM
http://www.ovahere.com/Directory/VenueDetail.aspx?ID=26495

More than 1000 people. We need a shitty club perfectly comfortable with having an attendance of 50 metalheads :hmm:

Oakland Metro? The Uptown? Bottom of the Hill? Thee Parkside? 942 Gilman?

ADD
04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Just this week alone:

Apr. 13: Ludicra/100 Suns/Gargantula -- Annie's Social Club, San Francisco ($7)
The River Runs Black/Ketea/Witchlord/Monofog -- The Uptown, Oakland ($5)

Apr. 14: Saviours/Mausolea/The Long And Short Of It -- Thee Parkside, San Francisco ($8)

Apr. 18: Type O Negative/Celtic Frost/Brand New Sin -- Slim's ($25)

Apr. 19: Greenhouse Effect/Sons Of Oswald/Myotonia/Tweak Bird -- The Uptown ($6)

Apr. 20: High On Fire and more -- Soundwave Studios, Oakland ($10)

Apr. 21: Death Angel and more -- The Blank Club, San Jose ($10)

These aren't exactly garage-level groups either, this is some high fucking quality music. So stop your bitching, open your eyes, and get out to some shows :rolleyes: Styles for everyone; stoner rock, doom metal, black metal, classic metal, thrash metal, prog metal, what the fuck else do you guys want? :lol:

Bouville
04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Just this week alone:

Apr. 14: Saviours/Mausolea/The Long And Short Of It -- Thee Parkside, San Francisco ($8)

Apr. 19: Greenhouse Effect/Sons Of Oswald/Myotonia/Tweak Bird -- The Uptown ($6)

These aren't exactly garage-level groups either, this is some high fucking quality music. So stop your bitching, open your eyes, and get out to some shows :rolleyes:

As usual the whiny teenager fails to see the point :allan:

ADD
04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
As usual the whiny teenager fails to see the point :allan:
I guess so.

Bouville
04-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Personally, not a week has gone by I think where there hasn't been a show I've wanted to hit around here. Maybe its cuz I'm more aware now, or have broader taste, I dunno, but the Pound closing hasn't really affected as far as how I see the amount of possible shows around here.

Because you have never experienced the Pound :allan:

ADD
04-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Because you have never experienced the Pound :allan:
Well there's many others :cool:

Bouville
04-15-2007, 08:08 PM

But nothing like the Pound... even whinny teenager #3 has experienced The Pound but you have not. That is very sad indeed... I should add that to my signature! :allan:

MetalDrummer888
04-15-2007, 08:15 PM
But nothing like the Pound... even whinny teenager #3 has experienced The Pound but you have not. That is very sad indeed... I should add that to my signature! :allan:

i was at pound outdoors . . . but that was a lot different

that was a high quality show :cool:

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 10:41 PM

No, there's not.

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Oakland Metro? The Uptown? Bottom of the Hill? Thee Parkside? 942 Gilman?

None of those are strictly metal holes. The Pound was our metal hole... it's not the same.

hot_turkey_ed
04-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Just this week alone:

These aren't exactly garage-level groups either, this is some high fucking quality music. So stop your bitching, open your eyes, and get out to some shows :rolleyes: Styles for everyone; stoner rock, doom metal, black metal, classic metal, thrash metal, prog metal, what the fuck else do you guys want? :lol:

Only one of those is a touring act -- type o & celtic. We are specifically addressing touring metal and the fact that many tours are now bypassing our area. Pay attention, young padawan...

SnakeCharmer
04-15-2007, 11:40 PM
You know, here in SoCal there was never a venue where all the metal shows seemed to go like it sounds The Pound was

Over here tours would go to the Key Club, Troubador, Whiskey, House of Blues, The Galaxy (in Anaheim), The Palace (now The Avalon) and The Wiltern and each one you would see plenty of metalheads enjoying great show after great show. Recently, bands are going to bigger places like the Henry Fonda (Mastodon and Isis have gone there now.)

I guess it must be a NorCal thing that shows only showed up at one spot compared to here where there were plenty of places to go to. If one of these spots would close I know it wouldn't be that big of a deal because there are several others to go too. I know I wouldnt like it if metal shows began to skip Los Angeles because the Key Club has closed but at least we are lucky here that there are plenty of options.

I think Pavo and Bouville just need to come south more often. Migrate south little birdies! :D

zanthir
04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm currently around the monterrey bay area and this is the closest I've been to so many metal concerts so consider yourselves lucky (I home from Indiana).

But then again to have something so convenient go away with no one to step up does suck.

HECHO EN MEXICO
04-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Extreme metal IS LAME.

HECHO EN MEXICO
04-16-2007, 12:18 AM
You know, here in SoCal there was never a venue where all the metal shows seemed to go like it sounds The Pound was

Over here tours would go to the Key Club, Troubador, Whiskey, House of Blues, The Galaxy (in Anaheim), The Palace (now The Avalon) and The Wiltern and each one you would see plenty of metalheads enjoying great show after great show. Recently, bands are going to bigger places like the Henry Fonda (Mastodon and Isis have gone there now.)

I guess it must be a NorCal thing that shows only showed up at one spot compared to here where there were plenty of places to go to. If one of these spots would close I know it wouldn't be that big of a deal because there are several others to go too. I know I wouldnt like it if metal shows began to skip Los Angeles because the Key Club has closed but at least we are lucky here that there are plenty of options.

I think Pavo and Bouville just need to come south more often. Migrate south little birdies! :DThe Galaxy iS NOT IN Anaheim, ITS IN SANTA ANNA !

Bouville
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Extreme metal IS LAME.

Ignorante de mierda, nadie te toma en serio ;)

ADD
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Only one of those is a touring act -- type o & celtic. We are specifically addressing touring metal and the fact that many tours are now bypassing our area. Pay attention, young padawan...

Ludicra, High On Fire, Saviours, and Death Angel are all touring acts.

ADD
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
No, there's not.

Other places here to see metal shows is what I meant.

Spiral_Slave
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
There's something definitely going on with the venues in my area. Look at all these tours that are skipping Florida entirely. It's just sickening...

Kamelot/Leave's Eyes
Edguy
Firewind
After Forever
Heaven And Hell
Overkill
Symphony X
Finntroll
Epica/Visions Of Atlantis
Queensyrche

All I have for this entire year is Sonata Arctica in October and Nightwish in November. I'm thinking of contacting the HoB to see what the hell is up :flame:

Fe Maiden
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
So. Cal. is where it is happening:D

slave670
04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Thank god for The Jaxx:rocker:

http://www.jaxxroxx.com/

hot_turkey_ed
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
So. Cal. is where it is happening:D

Thank god for The Jaxx:rocker:

http://www.jaxxroxx.com/

The Jaxx and SoCal rule all right now.

ADD
04-16-2007, 08:50 PM
The Jaxx and SoCal rule all right now.

I'm looking SoCal-only for college right now. Best weather, best girls, best concerts :cool:

HECHO EN MEXICO
04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Ignorante de mierda, nadie te toma en serio ;)

:bliss:

Bouville
04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm looking SoCal-only for college right now. Best weather, best girls, best concerts :cool:

Well, the Stanford female population is not bad in both levels, undergrads and grads. Berkeley is not bad either but Berkeley sucks so it really does not matter at all :allan:

So you are looking for So-Cal Universities? UCLA I suppose :cool:

Bouville
04-16-2007, 11:23 PM
On second thoughts I think ADD wants to go to So-Cal just to hooliganize Snakecharmer's music :lol:

SnakeCharmer
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
The Galaxy iS NOT IN Anaheim, ITS IN SANTA ANNA !

Whatever... It still is in the OC. ;)

SnakeCharmer
04-16-2007, 11:31 PM
On second thoughts I think ADD wants to go to So-Cal just to hooliganize Snakecharmer's music :lol:

No one hooliganizes my music!! :mad:

Oh wait... :eyes:

:D

HECHO EN MEXICO
04-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Whatever... It still is in the OC. ;)

:hecho: :tp:

...SEE YA THE 25TH BITCH!
:tongue:

Bouville
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
No one hooliganizes my music!! :mad:

Oh wait... :eyes:

:D

shhh they are watching :eyes:

ADD
04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, the Stanford female population is not bad in both levels, undergrads and grads. Berkeley is not bad either but Berkeley sucks so it really does not matter at all :allan:

So you are looking for So-Cal Universities? UCLA I suppose :cool:

Nah there are only smart nerdy girls and incredibly stupid ones (the hot ones) whose daddies have connections and paid to get them in, you know its true :lol:

HA yeah right UCLA my ass :lol: I'm looking at UC Irvine, San Diego State, and LMU which is my first choice.

ADD
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I do that enough already I think :lol:

At least I will be where someone actually GOES to shows instead of has to fly to Texas or whatever for a meeting and can't come to Heaven & Hell, loser :nutkick:

MetalDrummer888
04-17-2007, 06:44 PM
HA yeah right UCLA my ass :lol: I'm looking at UC Irvine, San Diego State, and LMU which is my first choice.

UCSB>all others

:cool:

Bouville
04-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Nah there are only smart nerdy girls and incredibly stupid ones (the hot ones) whose daddies have connections and paid to get them in, you know its true :lol:

Not really, hot and smart happens to coexist here :D

:hecho:

ADD
04-17-2007, 08:09 PM
UCSB>all others

:cool:

I can't get in there so I'm not applying. It's a great school though. And possibly the hottest girl I know goes there :drool:

ADD
04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Not really, hot and smart happens to coexist here :D

:hecho:

Actually it doesn't :cool:

What's wrong with those schools, better than snobby elitist preppy nerdy ass Stanford :D

Bouville
04-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Actually it doesn't :cool:

You know nothing, I see it everyday :allan:

What's wrong with those schools, better than snobby elitist preppy nerdy ass Stanford :D

Degrees from nobby elitist preppy nerdy ass universities will get you a job anywhere you want to work :D

ADD
04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
You know nothing, I see it everyday :allan:

Degrees from nobby elitist preppy nerdy ass universities will get you a job anywhere you want to work :D
Then why are you still in school digging up bones in Peru? :nutkick:

JRA
04-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Um, because he wants too?

ADD
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Umm, umm? Yeah.

powerslave_85
04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
smart nerdy girls:lovedup: :lovedup:

Bouville
04-17-2007, 08:49 PM

You are so ignorant! :lol: When you are in academics you do research forever and ever, no matter where you work and where you live :allan:

Bouville
04-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Exactly! I want to, I want to do research, I want to investigate prehistoric social processes, I want to be a fucking damn good scholar :allan:

ADD
04-17-2007, 10:00 PM
You are so ignorant! :lol: When you are in academics you do research forever and ever, no matter where you work and where you live :allan:

It was a Jay Kay :eyes: