PDA

View Full Version : abstracts

zgodt
04-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Everyone who's going to have a paper published, use this thread to share an abstract of your forthcoming publication with the rest of us! :D

Bouville
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Varying Processes of Regional Interaction during the Central Andean Formative: the View from the Wacheqsa Sector

Excavations in the Wacheqsa Sector at Chavín de Huántar have identified five spatial components scattered in area of 1.4 ha, including midden areas, clustered architectural spaces, and platforms of various sizes and uses. These spatial analytical units have intrinsic contextual differences that segregate the activities that originated them into distinct behavioral categories. They changed over 700 years (1200 – 500 BC), with the major labor investment in the latter 400 years associated with the maximum construction effort at the Temple and with ceramic styles defined as Janabarriu.
Interesting enough a broad range of non-Chavín ceramic styles is present in the spatial analytical units identified in the Wacheqsa sector. This paper intends to shed light on regional interaction processes based on the data retrieved in the Wacheqsa sector as well as published data from contemporary sites on the Andean north and central coasts and in the north and central highlands. A final discussion is offered on the nature of the different social process that are subsumed by the more general “regional interaction” label.

zgodt
04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
:party:

Sounds as if it could be pretty fascinating once you cut through all the fucking jargon.

ChildrenofSodom
04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
alotta doublespeak in there.

Bouville
04-08-2007, 08:45 PM
:party:

Sounds as if it could be pretty fascinating once you cut through all the fucking jargon.

I cannot avoid the fucking jargon, it is part of my archaeological academic social persona :lol:

zgodt
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I cannot avoid the fucking jargon, it is part of my archaeological academic social persona :lol:

I understand. :)

Bouville
04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Julio C. Tello: Theory and Practice in Andean Archaeology

The present paper intends to elaborate a theoretical analysis of the anthropological and archaeological thought of Julio C. Tello, additionally the relationship between him and the government of Augusto B. Leguía will be discussed. Four key works will be analyzed: Wira Kocha (1923), Antiguo Perú, Primera Época (1929), Origen y Desarrollo de las Civilizaciones Prehistóricas Andinas (1942) and The Discovery of the Chavín Culture in Perú (1943).

Already published this year.

Bouville
04-08-2007, 08:52 PM

I am sure you do :bouville:

Div
04-08-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm working on a science fiction novel trilogy but I'm really lazy about it and right now its just 10 half assed chapters and a shit load of notes. :eyes:

Bouville
04-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I have to give a paper in the forthcoming Society of American Archaeology meetings in Austin and I cannot remember what I wrote in the fucking abstract, nor I can't find the dammned abstract! :lol:

zgodt
04-08-2007, 08:58 PM
But basically, the gist is this:

There was a dig in a place in the Andes called "the Wacheqsa Sector at Chavín de Huántar." Based on the dig, we have identified five distinct areas within the sector, each with its own function for the people who lived there. Among these areas were waste dumps, social spaces with lots of buildings, and these weird platforms. The people here continued to develop their settlement over 700 years, between 1200 and 500 BC, with most of the work taking place over the last 400 years: to complete the bulk of work on the Temple and to make Janabarriu ceramics.

Scattered around in these areas we found a lot of pottery we didn't expect because it doesn't fall into the recognized style of the people who lived there. But why? We think it's because, for various reasons, people from areas surrounding this sector mixed with these people and brought their own pottery styles here. This paper is about why and how that happened.

Is that correct?

zgodt
04-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Julio C. Tello: Theory and Practice in Andean Archaeology

The present paper intends to elaborate a theoretical analysis of the anthropological and archaeological thought of Julio C. Tello, additionally the relationship between him and the government of Augusto B. Leguía will be discussed. Four key works will be analyzed: Wira Kocha (1923), Antiguo Perú, Primera Época (1929), Origen y Desarrollo de las Civilizaciones Prehistóricas Andinas (1942) and The Discovery of the Chavín Culture in Perú (1943).

Already published this year.
Nice.

So you're all about these Chavín dudes in Peru, eh?

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
But basically, the gist is this:

There was a dig in a place in the Andes called "the Wacheqsa Sector at Chavín de Huántar." Based on the dig, we have identified five distinct areas within the sector, each with its own function for the people who lived there. Among these areas were waste dumps, social spaces with lots of buildings, and these weird platforms. The people here continued to develop their settlement over 700 years, between 1200 and 500 BC, with most of the work taking place over the last 400 years: to complete the bulk of work on the Temple and to make Janabarriu ceramics.

Scattered around in these areas we found a lot of pottery we didn't expect because it doesn't fall into the recognized style of the people who lived there. But why? We think it's because, for various reasons, people from areas surrounding this sector mixed with these people and brought their own pottery styles here. This paper is about why and how that happened.

Is that correct?

Do you want to be my agent? :lol:

zgodt
04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm working on a science fiction novel trilogy but I'm really lazy about it and right now its just 10 half assed chapters and a shit load of notes. :eyes:

I have my drafts and notes for my 20 page epic poem based on the song "Children of the Damned" buried in a stack of papers here on the desk somewhere.

zgodt
04-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Do you want to be my agent? :lol:

:D

Since when do anthropologists need agents? :eyes:

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Nice.

So you're all about these Chavín dudes in Peru, eh?

Yep, that's my research area. My dissertation title is "Intrasite spatial organization in sites with complex stratigraphy: The Wacheqsa Sector at Chavin de Huantar" :eyes:

zgodt
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
"Intrasite spacial organization in sites with complex stratigraphy"
:lol:

Wow.

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:08 PM
:D

Since when do anthropologists need agents? :eyes:

Have you seen "Digging The Truth"? :eyes: That guy makes a lot of money, has an Anthropology BA from Cornell but is dumber that any whiny teenager from this board.

I can't believe I was talked into being part of that show :hecho:

zgodt
04-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Have you seen "Digging The Truth"? :eyes: That guy makes a lot of money, has an Anthropology BA from Cornell but is dumber that any whiny teenager from this board.

Nope, never heard of it. You were involved?

Div
04-08-2007, 09:09 PM

I have my drafts and notes for my 20 page epic poem based on the song "Children of the Damned" buried in a stack of papers here on the desk somewhere.

Good choice of song. I think Maiden's "The Legacy" would also make a cool poem.

Div
04-08-2007, 09:11 PM

I watched a few episodes of that show, what episodes were you in?

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Nope, never heard of it. You were involved?

yes :eyes:

http://www.history.com/minisites/diggingforthetruth/

http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0776355/

:hecho:

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:16 PM
:lol:

Wow.

But is marketable in the field :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
04-08-2007, 09:17 PM
http://amazon.imdb.com/name/nm2332529/

sonuvabitch

Div
04-08-2007, 09:17 PM
two questions:

1.) do all archaeologists dress like indiana jones?

2.) did you guys really go hang gliding over ancient jungle ruins?

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:19 PM
two questions:

1.) do all archaeologists dress like indiana jones?

2.) did you guys really go hang gliding over ancient jungle ruins?

1. No, only posers do

2. :eyes:

Div
04-08-2007, 09:26 PM
archaeology looks x-treme

http://a614.g.akamai.net/f/614/2201/30m/aetn.download.akamai.com/2201/thc_broadband/topic_images/promos/diggingforthetruth_promo.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
04-08-2007, 09:27 PM
archaeology looks x-treme

BIOTECH
BIOTECH
BIOTECH
IS AIDS!

STOP!

Div
04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
BIOTECH
BIOTECH
BIOTECH
IS AIDS!

STOP!

what? im just pointing out that whoever made that picture should be fired, unless thats how they really do get to the dig sites.

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
what? im just pointing out that whoever made that picture should be fired, unless thats how they really do get to the dig sites.

We are far more conventional than that :eyes:

Div
04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
We are far more conventional than that :eyes:

Ok, so all joking aside, would you say this show is mostly just "hollywood" type stuff or is it a good resource for information on the subjects your friend talks about? I saw some episodes where he was in egypt and it seemed kinda interesting.

Bouville
04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Ok, so all joking aside, would you say this show is mostly just "hollywood" type stuff or is it a good resource for information on the subjects your friend talks about? I saw some episodes where he was in egypt and it seemed kinda interesting.

You can take the stuff there with a grain of salt. The stuff there is a fair source of information. Luckily the stuff we did was well portrayed.

DethMaiden
04-09-2007, 03:39 AM
I'll post an abstract of my Gothic historical fiction later! OMG RITE!?

zgodt
04-09-2007, 08:46 AM
You can take the stuff there with a grain of salt. The stuff there is a fair source of information. Luckily the stuff we did was well portrayed.

Then it's good you got talked into being on the show. You elevated the scholarship. :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
04-10-2007, 07:10 PM
The man paced the barren rock face. His goatskin boots left prints in the freshly fallen snow; the cold white powder reflecting the bright shine of the moon. The man stared at the ground, squinting from the shine and from his own contemplation. He walked awkwardly, as if confused or uncertain, striding ten paces, turning, and then walking another ten paces. As he made his turns, black soot and white powder rose into the air. The man was soon engulfed in his cloud. He began to cough fiercely.
When his paroxysm was through he surveyed the rock face. Through the thin blanket of snow there was a field of black, jagged rock. In the summer, the rock face would be coated in thin topsoil, and patches of feeble yellow-green grass would sprout up. In the harsh Icelandic winter, though, the rocks were naked, and brought about reminders of the laws of time and nature: what is abundant and cherished one moment can be lost and forgotten the next.
The man kicked at a small peak jutting out of the ground. The rock went skidding across the cliff and off the edge. He stood staring again. He slowly walked towards the edge. The roar of the water had been white noise to him; he had come to the cliff to debate his conscience. The surge of the waterfall hadn’t distracted him from his thoughts, until now.
He peered over the black-gray cliff into the darkened abyss of water. Nearly thirty feet down from the edge, a thin layer of ice clung to the rock wall. Moonbeams shone through the sea mist that hung in the cool night air. The water churned in whirlpools at the base of the waterfall. The torrent from the Sprengisandur River created a roar louder than the battlecrie of one hundred men.
During the day, the falling water was a white foam and the pool beneath was a dark blue. But at night, the waters appeared black, and aside from the churning ripples, the surface appeared as solid and smooth as marble.
This was Godafoss, the Waterfall of the Gods. The man had come to this place for one purpose. He stumbled away from the edge, and fell to his knees, scattering pebbles and snow every direction. Tears stained the ground as the man’s voice fought the roar of the Godafoss. He invoked a new god he had only recently learned of.
A northern wind grew, carrying across the surrounding hills and rivers. The dying grasses swayed with the driving snow where the rocky ground met the frozen meadow. A howl arose in the distance. The air was filled with disembodied screams and chants, the rambling invocations of the man, and the persistent roar of the waterfall. The cry of blackbirds piereced his ears.
The man brought himself to his feet, and reached into his leather vest. He pulled out three wooden statues, each depicting a choice deity, but none the man wished to recognize any longer. With a hurried leap, the man tossed the idols over the cliff. He fell onto the snowy rock face, as his empty eyes followed the statues. He crawled to the edge, just in time to catch a fleeting glance of the idols striking the waters below. The blackness was broken, and small waves licked out from the point of impact. Teardrops fell down to the pool, but with more force than the waterfall.

ChildrenofSodom
04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Its rough, and long, for a message board at least, but I dont care.

ChildrenofSodom
04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Bjorn and the Christians had finished their bonfire, and were rallying the denizens around the stone table. He shouted the conditions of the challenge once again, and then urged Palà toward the Pagan flames, prodding her with his dagger. She stumbled forward, evading the knifepoint. She cast a look of scorn back at the traitor. She had to complete this task. Grimr had assured her of her safety. Her blood was on his hands, should her trust be for nothing. She prayed that she was in the realm where silent Gods stood guard.

powerslave_85
04-11-2007, 06:44 PM
May I offer some criticism? Too much description of the surroundings.

ChildrenofSodom
04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
May I offer some criticism? Too much description of the surroundings.

It's supposed to be like that. Our teacher made us write a whole page in the style of gothic, using as much description as possible. It was kinda BS...But thanks for the criticism.

DethMaiden
04-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I really don't think I can do one for mine. But uh, here goes:

A Bosnian Muslim girl is against the war and ethnic cleansing that's going on in Yugoslavia but can't really speak out or she risks being deported, imprisoned, or killed, but she meets this guy who agrees with her and they start seeing each other seriously after awhile. He gets drafted but tries to dodge the draft and they run away together but he gets shot and killed. And then the parallel story is that Milosevic of Serbia is passing all these laws that give more power to him and to the Serbian military, but the Bosnian president, Izetbegovic, is trying to stop him. Eventually the war ends and he goes to jail for war crimes and the Muslim chick meets a new guy and other stuff happens.

There's too fucking much to it to make that decent, that's really the tip of the iceberg.

zgodt
04-17-2007, 05:40 AM
Following her marriage to Duke Cosimo I de' Medici in 1539, Eleonora di Toledo began to assert herself with surprising force into affairs of Florentine state, commerce, and culture. She came to play a key role in several vital areas of the city’s life – notably its agriculture, finance, religion, and even governance. Meanwhile, she was an active patron of the arts, and the evolution of her patronage suggests a growing self-awareness of her political importance as Duchess of Florence. Why, given our understanding of the passive roles proper to courtly wives in the mid-cinquecento, was Duchess Eleonora di Toledo able to play such an active role in matters of Florentine state culture? It seems clear that Eleonora’s wealth, reproductive success, and remarkable bond with her husband gave her uncustomary leverage for a courtly bride. But beyond these measures, Eleonora became a forceful presence in Cosimo's regime because she applied such clout in a shrewdly intercessory capacity within the parameters of her husband's political agenda. A glance at some of Eleonora’s activities in relation to behavioral standards for her position will lead us to an examination of some of her accomplishments within Cosimo's regime. From here we will examine assets and strategies she could make use of to effect these accomplishments. We will conclude by looking at how she conceptualized her own intercessory capabilities in the cycle of “Famous Women,” completed with her input shortly before her death, which decorates her former apartments at the Palazzo Vecchio.