PDA

View Full Version : Melodic Death Doom

ChildrenofSodom
04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I could have sworn that I made a thread similar to this, but I will give it another shot. Can anyone suggest releases for any of the following bands: Mourning Beloveth, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, November's Doom, Katatonia, Daylight Dies, Swallow the Sun, or Opeth.

In my collection, I have the following Melodic death, death doom, and doom CDs....(And I love them all)

November's Doom---The Novella Reservoir
Insomnium---Above the Weeping World
Angel Blake---Angel Blake
Opeth---Blackwater Park
Godgory---Resurrection
Godgory---Way Beyond
Amon Amarth---With Oden on Our Side
Virgin Black--Sombre Romantic

Can anyone suggest any "new" artists for me to explore, in the vein of all of those bands/albums? I want to further delve into this genre, and any help from the people here (mainly Addi, Brady, and Bouville) would be appreciated.

zgodt
04-04-2007, 08:58 PM
At the risk of being permanently banned by Bouville... MDB is godawful. Steer clear.

If you like Blackwater Park, you'll certainly like Deliverance or Ghost Reveries. And actually, the Lamentations DVD is a hell of a buy -- I got mine for $12 at Circuit City. Not bad for 2 hours of music (+ band-in-studio featurette).

ADD
04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't really like this genre. Opeth and Amon Amarth are not melodic death doom. Swallow The Sun and Novembers Doom is all I'll do really as far as what I consider within the parameters of melodic death doom. Go for more pure doom stuff, or pure death for that matter. My Dying Bride and Katatonia are generally solid, check out Draconian and Lethian Dreams too that seems your type of deal and they both do it well. I prefer old school doom/sludge doom/funeral doom/the crustier side of doom, not as polished or cinematic or orchestral or romantic or whatever as those bands and Paradise Lost, Anathema, etc. Bouville can help you with those sissy doom bands, as for me I say go for some real doom like Corrupted, Asunder, Grief, and the like :cool: Clearly you are looking for something else though. Lots of good blackened doom stuff out there too, stuff like Mourning Dawn, Elysian Blaze, etc. It's broad.

ChildrenofSodom
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't really like this genre. Opeth and Amon Amarth are not melodic death doom. Swallow The Sun and Novembers Doom is all I'll do really as far as what I consider within the parameters of melodic death doom. Go for more pure doom stuff, or pure death for that matter. My Dying Bride and Katatonia are generally solid, check out Draconian and Lethian Dreams too that seems your type of deal and they both do it well. I prefer old school doom/sludge doom/funeral doom/the crustier side of doom, not as polished or cinematic or orchestral or romantic or whatever as those bands and Paradise Lost, Anathema, etc. Bouville can help you with those sissy doom bands, as for me I say go for some real doom like Corrupted, Asunder, Grief, and the like :cool: Clearly you are looking for something else though. Lots of good blackened doom stuff out there too, stuff like Mourning Dawn, Elysian Blaze, etc. It's broad.

Well, I guess I am lumping too many unlike bands into one genre....but I think you got the main idea of my suggestion...I will chekc out the bands you mentioned.....thanks...

ADD
04-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Well, I guess I am lumping too many unlike bands into one genre....but I think you got the main idea of my suggestion...I will chekc out the bands you mentioned.....thanks...

There is so many bands I know you would like but I hate so I will not mention them :snivel: :lol: I'll leave all that to Bouville, the gothic orchestral female-fronted pussy death doom shit :D

powerslave_85
04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
At the risk of being permanently banned by Bouville... MDB is godawful. Steer clear.
UGH. Quoted for truth :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
04-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Well...I am most interested in bands like Insomnium, Opeth, Godgory, Novembers Doom....those guys. The vocals can be either clean or harsh, the music kicks ass, and the lyrics provoke deeper thought.

EDIT: I went to the myspaces of all the bands that you mentioned, Addi (except the ones I had already mentioned) and I didnt like any of them :D Right now I have decided to expand my Opeth collection, pick up some Daylight Dies, Swallow the Sun, the other 2 Insomnium albums, My Dying Bride, Mourning Beloveth, Paradise Lost, and Grave Flowers. If anyone is familar with any of the proceeding bands, let me know which ones to go for.

ADD
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
EDIT: I went to the myspaces of all the bands that you mentioned, Addi (except the ones I had already mentioned) and I didnt like any of them :D

Good :bouville: :D

There's so much music out there that I absolutely hate giving recommendations now, that's why I appreciate it when someone can be very specific in what they're trying to look for.

ChildrenofSodom
04-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Good :bouville: :D

There's so much music out there that I absolutely hate giving recommendations now, that's why I appreciate it when someone can be very specific in what they're trying to look for.

I thought I was being specific...bands like Swallow The Sun, Insomnium, Opeth, November's Doom.

ADD
04-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I thought I was being specific...bands like Swallow The Sun, Insomnium, Opeth, November's Doom.

None of those bands are very alike though :eyes: The closest link would be between Insomnium and Novembers Doom I guess. Swallow The Sun have some cool stoner rock elements which is what makes me give them the time of day in the first place, and Opeth is different than all 3 easily. Try looking at similar bands that come up when you do searches and things like that, their friends on Myspace, record label (biggest clue generally to finding more similar stuff), things like that will open up your avenues much more than any single band recommendation.

ChildrenofSodom
04-04-2007, 11:47 PM
None of those bands are very alike though :eyes: The closest link would be between Insomnium and Novembers Doom I guess. Swallow The Sun have some cool stoner rock elements which is what makes me give them the time of day in the first place, and Opeth is different than all 3 easily. Try looking at similar bands that come up when you do searches and things like that, their friends on Myspace, record label (biggest clue generally to finding more similar stuff), things like that will open up your avenues much more than any single band recommendation.

I feel that Insomnium, Swallow the Sun, Novembers Doom, and Opeth's harder stuff do sound similar......I found StS on Insomnium's myspace....so...I guess I will have to look harder

DethMaiden
04-05-2007, 06:30 AM
I really don't know what you're asking for. If you want good doom metal with death vocals, early My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, and Novembers Doom are the usual suspects but easily the most kickass.

And as for melodic death that isn't quite Gothenburg, you need some fucking Bloodbath. Dismember, Vader, and Amon Amarth definitely fall under that nonexistent category too.

ChildrenofSodom
04-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I really don't know what you're asking for. If you want good doom metal with death vocals, early My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, and Novembers Doom are the usual suspects but easily the most kickass.

YES

Swallow the Sun= Melodic Doom/Death Metal

Insomnium=Melodic Death Metal

Novembers Doom=Death/Doom Metal

zgodt
04-05-2007, 08:44 AM
So what's the album to get by Paradise Lost and/or November's Rain?

ChildrenofSodom
04-05-2007, 09:30 AM

Thats one of my questions.

Div
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Coal Chamber

DethMaiden
04-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Draconian Times and The Novella Reservoir, respectively.

ADD
04-05-2007, 06:41 PM

I'll second that just because they're the only albums I have from each band :eyes: :lol:

DethMaiden
04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I'll second that just because they're the only albums I have from each band :eyes: :lol:

:lol: Well I have a slightly wider frame of reference and those are the decisions I've come to. That said, good choices on the only ones you have :cool:

zgodt
04-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Thank you. :)

SomewhereInTime72
04-05-2007, 10:55 PM
My Dying Bride = great. I dont know where the best place for you to start is though... Like Gods Of The Sun, The Light At The End of The World, The Dreadful Hours. I would say any of those three is a good place to start with them, but you might want to check with Bouville. :D

Opeth, you already have their best album, but if you like BWP a lot, you'll like Deliverance. So I guess go with that.

Katatonia, I'm not to familiar with, but I really like Viva Emptiness.

Other good melodic death bands... Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy come to mind. Neither of their newer stuff is quite gothenberg anyway.

Also, they dont exactly fit into what you mentioned in this thread, but you should look into Amorphis. I love them, and if you like this stuff, you'd probably really like them too.

:)

ADD
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Also, they dont exactly fit into what you mentioned in this thread, but you should look into Amorphis. I love them, and if you like this stuff, you'd probably really like them too.

:)

Ooh, nice call.

Another great band for CoS to tarnish :lol: :tongue:

SomewhereInTime72
04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Ooh, nice call.

:D

:tongue:

ChildrenofSodom
04-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Ooh, nice call.

I already sampled some of their stuff on youtube and myspace. Not TOO impressed.

ADD
04-06-2007, 02:32 PM
I already sampled some of their stuff on youtube and myspace. Not TOO impressed.

:eek:

:party: :party: :party:

ChildrenofSodom
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
:eek:

:party: :party: :party:

Actually the song Black Winter Day hits the nail right on the head, when it comes to what I have been looking for. So....thank you all for the suggestions...

I FAIL!!

Bouville
04-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Too drunk to give a proper answer....you should know that everybody but me is wrong in this thread :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
04-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Too drunk to give a proper answer....you should know that everybody but me is wrong in this thread :hecho:

maybe later you can share your knowledge and expertise? :eyes:

es156
04-07-2007, 10:15 AM
maybe later you can share your knowledge and expertise? :eyes:

Maybe later he can remove all of his spam about Mayhem.

:cool:

Bouville
04-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Maybe later he can remove all of his spam about Mayhem.

:cool:

That's not spam, that's education :allan:

es156
04-07-2007, 02:47 PM
That's not spam, that's education :allan:

Ha ha.

Educational spam?

Bouville
04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Having read your thread I think you are more inclined towards the Doom-Death subset of the Doom Genre. For a good informative definition of the various subsets you should visit the following site www.doom-metal.com. It answers many of the questions posed in this thread.

I'd think that you may be interested in the early works of Theatre of Tragedy, Lacrimas Profundere, Anathema and Paradise Lost. I don't think that the brand of Doom that Katatonia was doing in their early years will suit your interests.

Do not listen to those who bash My Dying Bride, experience them for yourself, I would think that Turn Loose The Swans would be a good start or maybe Like Gods Are The Sun which is much more relaxed and violin oriented. To me any MDB album is a good place to start (well, probably not the infamous 34.788%... which barely makes it to Doom). Granted the last MDB is the weakest in a long time but still have some good moments. You could try "The Dreadful Hours" which is the greatest thing they did after Turn Loose The Swans.

The Amorphis album "Tales of Thounsand Lakes" is not really a Doom album, more like a folkish psychedelic death stoner rock album. The odd label will give you an indication of how unique that album is.

Modern bands you probably would like... Swallow The Sun, Officium Triste, How Like a Winter, Shape of Despair (more aligned with the Funeral Doom subset but I think you would like it) Draconian (best "new" Doom Death band). The guys from Fall of Empyrean are really good (go figure how such dark music could be produced in Arizona). It has already metioned Novembers Doom however I do not think they are Doom Death anymore. There has been heated discussions over how much they have split from the Doom Death subset, nevertheless they produce excellent sorrowful music. Mourning Beloveth is also a band that deserves full attention.

Ningizzia is also a fine European addition worth to check in spite of a small reliance to the Black Metal genre. And also the legends of Shroud of Bereavement... they have been for ages in the business but never landed a record deal.

There is much more to say but I hope this helps for now.

Bouville
04-07-2007, 03:07 PM

There seems to be an agreement that Draconian Times is the best record they have ever made. I would really encourage you to try Shades of God, Icon and even Gothic (ground breaking album mainly because of the soprano inclusion, I would argue that album set the standard of sopranos in Doom Metal). I have a sense you would not like their first album Lost Paradise.

Regarding Novembers Doom their last album is quite good although I like much more the previous one The Pale Haunt Departed. Their early ones are good, specially "To Welcome The Fade"

Bouville
04-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Ha ha.

Educational spam?

You don't understand the greatness of Mayhem :bouville:

I am so thrilled about the new Mayhem album that I will not hooliganaze it... I will wait until my pre ordered copy arrives... :hmm:

MetalDrummer888
04-07-2007, 03:13 PM
what is the point in listening to a genre of music that is suppose to make you unhappy?

listen to some edguy :party:

Div
04-07-2007, 03:14 PM
what is the point in listening to a genre of music that is suppose to make you unhappy?

agreed.

wtf is with you guys, weirdos :eyes:

Bouville
04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Usually people do not care about what whiny teenagers have to say :allan:

DethMaiden
04-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Because if you're feeling shitty, bands who write depressing music can bring you back up through co-misery.

Seriously.

Div
04-07-2007, 04:05 PM
:hmm:

ADD
04-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Ok, now who came up with that line about how no question is too dumb to ask? That person should be shown this.

zgodt
04-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Why stop there? Perhaps we should all stick with Bobby McFerrin.

zgodt
04-07-2007, 08:57 PM
There seems to be an agreement that Draconian Times is the best record they have ever made. I would really encourage you to try Shades of God, Icon and even Gothic (ground breaking album mainly because of the soprano inclusion, I would argue that album set the standard of sopranos in Doom Metal). I have a sense you would not like their first album Lost Paradise.

Regarding Novembers Doom their last album is quite good although I like much more the previous one The Pale Haunt Departed. Their early ones are good, specially "To Welcome The Fade"

Thanks for the insight. :D

Bouville
04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the insight. :D

You are most welcome...you should pre order Ordo Ab Chao to expand your knowledge :allan:

ChildrenofSodom
04-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Thank you very much. I will look into all the bands you have suggested.

I listen to this genre, metaldrummer, because it kicks the ass of every other genre.

DethMaiden
04-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I listen to this genre, metaldrummer, because it kicks the ass of every other genre.

Hmm. Nah. I mean, I dig most of the bands that have been mentioned here, if not all of them, but you can't beat traditional metal, thrash, prog metal, prog rock, and especially blues boogie.

Bouville
04-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Hmm. Nah. I mean, I dig most of the bands that have been mentioned here, if not all of them, but you can't beat traditional metal, thrash, prog metal, prog rock, and especially blues boogie.

Yes you can. Doom owns :bouville:

DethMaiden
04-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Yes you can. Doom owns :bouville:

Doom owns everything except those genres. Actually, doom owns all boogie blues except new Clutch :D

Bouville
04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Doom owns everything except those genres. Actually, doom owns all boogie blues except new Clutch :D

Nope :bouville:

ChildrenofSodom
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Nope :bouville:

agreed....

DethMaiden
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
:lol: I just got banned and unbanned before I realized I was banned :D

Bouville
04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
:lol: I just got banned and unbanned before I realized I was banned :D

:allan: