PDA

View Full Version : Further thoughts on the Dio/"rainbow" problem.

zgodt
03-24-2007, 09:30 PM
The problem with Dio isn't that he sings about rainbows (as some here have alleged). The problem is that, when a rainbow appears in a Dio lyric, it means exactly the same thing that it means on the poster of a unicorn hanging in your little sister's room.

es156
03-24-2007, 09:33 PM
You can't seriously be hitting this subject again.

:tp:

zgodt
03-24-2007, 09:35 PM
You can't seriously be hitting this subject again.

:tp:

:lol:

I'm done now. ;)

es156
03-24-2007, 09:38 PM

I'm done now. ;)

That's good, because Bouville has been in the banning mood lately, and a thread like this could really keep him busy.

;)

JRA
03-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I'd like to see the poetry or any other written work that all the "Dio haters" have written.

zgodt
03-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I'd like to see the poetry or any other written work that all the "Dio haters" have written.

You can buy my chapbook for $5. :cool:

Honestly, I once wrote a poem directly inspired by Ronnie James Dio's lyrics.

JRA
03-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Honestly, I once wrote a poem directly inspired by Ronnie James Dio's lyrics.

And I bet it was as entertaining as a poster of a unicorn hanging in your little sister's room.

powerslave_85
03-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Hahaha. Scott's getting good at pushing people's buttons here :party:

Bouville
03-24-2007, 09:59 PM

I listen to the people :fist:

zgodt
03-24-2007, 10:01 PM
I listen to the people :fist:
Your little ban almost prevented me from posting my dream Dio setlist. :hmm:

Bouville
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Don't blame, blame the people :allan:

zgodt
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
And I bet it was as entertaining as a poster of a unicorn hanging in your little sister's room.

I don't have a little sister. :D

es156
03-24-2007, 10:03 PM

How ironic.

:D

Angelripper
03-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Dio is a gayass,
Who's really really gay,
Everyone who goes to his show,
Well, that's what they say.

He sings about rainbows,
Magicians, Hobbits, Mystical shit,
After all this pondering,
I think he's a smelly tit.

Oh Dio, you're so cool,
Of your music, posers are afraid
I listen to you everyday,
Which is why I don't get laid.

No one ever likes me,
No one ever will,
But Ronnie James Dio,
His music truly kills.

But wait, in the distance,
A rainbow came to pass,
It swooped right down to the earth,
Kicked Dio in the ass.

It said "Dio, you're so stupid,
You've made me a laughing stock,
Stick to what you're best at,
Come and suck my cock."

powerslave_85
03-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Scott, where did your avatar come from?

zgodt
03-24-2007, 10:08 PM
On the basis of the currently available evidence, I pronounce Dio > Angelripper.

Angelripper
03-24-2007, 10:09 PM
On the basis of the currently available evidence, I pronounce Dio > Angelripper.
What the heck is wrong with you,
You smelly old man,
At least my nice fresh genitals,
Weren't made in Japan.

Bouville
03-24-2007, 10:10 PM
What the heck is wrong with you,
You smelly old man,
At least my nice fresh genitals,
Weren't made in Japan.

Should I ban him for writing this :hecho:

zgodt
03-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Scott, where did your avatar come from?

The movie Dead Alive. If you haven't seen it, you must. It's an early Peter Jackson film, a hilarious horror/zombie movie takeoff. The guy in the avatar is a kung-fu-fighting preacher who roundhouse kicks his way through zombie legions in the church graveyard. "I kick ass for the Lord!" is a direct quote.

es156
03-24-2007, 10:11 PM

Swing the hammer.

Angelripper
03-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Go ahead Doom Master,
The greatest mod there's ever been,
If you ban me now,
You've banned another whiny teen.

Bouville
Glad you approve :allan:

zgodt

I vote no. But as for "Dio is a gayass / Who's really really gay" I think no penalty can be too severe.

Bouville
03-24-2007, 10:14 PM
I vote no. But as for "Dio is a gayass / Who's really really gay" I think no penalty can be too severe.

Too late :lol:

JRA
03-24-2007, 10:23 PM

I vote "not necessarily for that, but for stupid shit he said a long time ago." Kind of like the polar opposite of Martin Scorcese getting an Oscar for the Departed.

SomewhereInTime72
03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
The movie Dead Alive. If you haven't seen it, you must. It's an early Peter Jackson film, a hilarious horror/zombie movie takeoff. The guy in the avatar is a kung-fu-fighting preacher who roundhouse kicks his way through zombie legions in the church graveyard. "I kick ass for the Lord!" is a direct quote.

Dead Alive is one of the most awesome movies ever. :cool:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Okay. I like Dio (I think that's pretty well established), but I think his lyrics are pretty iffy (I think that's also well established.)

The way I see it, Dio just isn't creative. Sorry, but he's beaten to death about every cliché in existence, he can't write metaphors, and he definitely takes himself far too seriously. Take Magica, for instace. It may be the worst story ever written. It's generic, cliché, and overly dramatic. So he puts it to music. Good grief.

Furthermore, it's well known that Dio is over 60. You're telling me that somebody who has spent their entire life traveling the world, meeting people, and jamming with great musicians has nothing better to write about than spiders, dragons, masters of the moon, and making the devil the cry?

Get real.

Dio's a lazy songwriter, a poor lyricist, and has admitted in interviews he doesn't even care to create new music anymore, and only does so he can tour. So while that makes it a bit easier to write off his recent albums, it still offers no excuse for the abomination that is "Sacred Heart" and the unholy curse upon this world that is the Dio's-face-in-a-crystal-ball introduction to the song live ("Come with me children as we cross the rainbow bridge.")

Div
03-26-2007, 11:11 AM
I guess that makes Dio the most rockin' D&D nerd in existence.

JRA
03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Okay. I like Dio (I think that's pretty well established), but I think his lyrics are pretty iffy (I think that's also well established.)

The way I see it, Dio just isn't creative. Sorry, but he's beaten to death about every cliché in existence, he can't write metaphors, and he definitely takes himself far too seriously. Take Magica, for instace. It may be the worst story ever written. It's generic, cliché, and overly dramatic. So he puts it to music. Good grief.

Furthermore, it's well known that Dio is over 60. You're telling me that somebody who has spent their entire life traveling the world, meeting people, and jamming with great musicians has nothing better to write about than spiders, dragons, masters of the moon, and making the devil the cry?

Get real.

Dio's a lazy songwriter, a poor lyricist, and has admitted in interviews he doesn't even care to create new music anymore, and only does so he can tour. So while that makes it a bit easier to write off his recent albums, it still offers no excuse for the abomination that is "Sacred Heart" and the unholy curse upon this world that is the Dio's-face-in-a-crystal-ball introduction to the song live ("Come with me children as we cross the rainbow bridge.")

So don't buy his new albums.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 11:29 AM
So don't buy his new albums.
Yep. Me not buying his albums will make him write better lyrics.

zgodt
03-26-2007, 11:39 AM
You're telling me that somebody who has spent their entire life traveling the world, meeting people, and jamming with great musicians has nothing better to write about than spiders, dragons, masters of the moon, and making the devil the cry?

As with Rainbows, I don't think the subject matter per se is the problem. It's still possible to write good lyrics about dragons, spiders, the moon, and the devil -- if you try to do something new/unexpected with them, and bring your personal experience to bear on them as useful metaphors.

But Dio doesn't.

DreamEvil001
03-26-2007, 11:46 AM

Get real.

Agreed. His lyrics have almost always been atrocious. He has some good ones and they're usually when he departs the fantasy aspect: Invisible (after the intro), Between Two Hearts, TV crimes, etc.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 11:46 AM
As with Rainbows, I don't think the subject matter per se is the problem. It's still possible to write good lyrics about dragons, spiders, the moon, and the devil -- if you try to do something new/unexpected with them, and bring your personal experience to bear on them as useful metaphors.

But Dio doesn't.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to get at.

ChildrenofSodom
03-26-2007, 12:12 PM

But Dio doesn't.

Does he owe you anything? NO! Does he harm you in anyway? NO! Does his writing/music affect your life in even the most remote way? NO!

So quit bitching about one of the best vocalists of all time, yah noob.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Agreed. His lyrics have almost always been atrocious. He has some good ones and they're usually when he departs the fantasy aspect: Invisible (after the intro), Between Two Hearts, TV crimes, etc.

:)

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Does he owe you anything? NO! Does he harm you in anyway? NO! Does his writing/music affect your life in even the most remote way? NO!

So quit bitching about one of the best vocalists of all time, yah noob.

Is this a discussion board? YES!

Deal with it. :)

Div
03-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Anyone remember that video where Dio was the magical frog?

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah...

ChildrenofSodom
03-26-2007, 01:31 PM

It isnt even a real discussion...Its just bitching about something that doesnt affect you at all...Its like bitching because the flag was at half-mast for 30 days after Ford died...Dio is going to write corny lyrics until he dies...that is part of his schtick.....He is an amazing singer, and that is all that matters. Nothing anyone says will change his mind, and he will continue to make albums, and myself and other loyal fans will continue to buy them.

ChildrenofSodom
03-26-2007, 01:33 PM

The Butterfly Ball
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R-pe81BYBXU

JRA
03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Yep. Me not buying his albums will make him write better lyrics.

And why do you care about Dio's lyrics if you aren't buying his albums?

powerslave_85
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Good point.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
It isnt even a real discussion...Its just bitching about something that doesnt affect you at all...Its like bitching because the flag was at half-mast for 30 days after Ford died...Dio is going to write corny lyrics until he dies...that is part of his schtick.....He is an amazing singer, and that is all that matters. Nothing anyone says will change his mind, and he will continue to make albums, and myself and other loyal fans will continue to buy them.

Yeah, it's not a real discussion when people say "STFU" and then don't talk about it. So we can't have a discussion about his shtick? And as far as him being an amazing singer... well, first of all, that's subjective (as is his lyrics), and secondly, it doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion. Also, being ridiculously stubborn isn't exactly something I'd call a quality trait. And finally, "loyal fans"? Is that code for, "if Dio sang a song about groping unicorns under rainbows we'd buy it and call it a masterpiece"? Because I don't know what you mean. I'm pretty sure I still buy Dio's stuff too. And I'm pretty sure I even enjoyed seeing him in concert (and I know there's some people in this thread that probably do not enjoy Dio concerts.) But still, that doesn't mean I'm going to accept mediocrity as "part of the act" and not discuss what my opinions are on Dio.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
And why do you care about Dio's lyrics if you aren't buying his albums?
When did I say I wasn't buying his albums?

ChildrenofSodom
03-26-2007, 01:45 PM
None of his songs are as gay or twisted as groping unicorns. In his mind, they make sense. And if you dont understand/like them, then dont listen to them. But calling for him to quit making albums is so stupid. Iron Maiden are thinking about throwing in the towel, and DIO is still going...He sand in the greatest heavy metal band of all time, put out three great albums, had many stellar solo albums, he integrated the devil horns into the metal scene, he had an amazing voice, and has written some pretty kickass songs..Isnt that enough? I dont expect a Heaven and Hell or Holy Diver on every album.....but I like to think that none of his albums are 100% shit.

Discuss :2cents:

powerslave_85
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
It's amazing how people can take articulated criticism towards their favorite bands so fucking personally.

ChildrenofSodom
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
It's amazing how people can take articulated criticism towards their favorite bands so fucking personally.

Yeah, I know.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
None of his songs are as gay or twisted as groping unicorns. In his mind, they make sense. And if you dont understand/like them, then dont listen to them. But calling for him to quit making albums is so stupid. Iron Maiden are thinking about throwing in the towel, and DIO is still going...He sand in the greatest heavy metal band of all time, put out three great albums, had many stellar solo albums, he integrated the devil horns into the metal scene, he had an amazing voice, and has written some pretty kickass songs..Isnt that enough? I dont expect a Heaven and Hell or Holy Diver on every album.....but I like to think that none of his albums are 100% shit.

Discuss :2cents:
It was just an example :) I didn't say he should quit making albums. He has said that he has no desire to make albums. He has said - on numerous occasions - that he only writes albums so that he can tour behind them.

No, I don't give a shit about his legacy in regards to what he's doing now.

Well, maybe you should listen to Sacred Heart again :lol:

JRA
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM

I think two guitarists in a band with no bass player and one of the guitars being tuned down is a stupid and unoriginal idea.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:49 PM

No shit.

And I think Dio's a great guy, I've still got the picture of me with him on my wall next to the copy of Mob Rules he signed :lol:

powerslave_85
I think two guitarists in a band with no bass player and one of the guitars being tuned down is a stupid and unoriginal idea.
I'm gonna go cry now.

JRA
It was just an example :) I didn't say he should quit making albums. He has said that he has no desire to make albums. He has said - on numerous occasions - that he only writes albums so that he can tour behind them.

No, I don't give a shit about his legacy in regards to what he's doing now.

Well, maybe you should listen to Sacred Heart again :lol:

The song or the album?

JRA
03-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm gonna go cry now.

Just checking.:D

JRA
No shit.

And I think Dio's a great guy, I've still got the picture of me with him on my wall next to the copy of Mob Rules he signed :lol:

A great guy who takes himself way too seriously, apparently.

EvilCheeseWedge
The song or the album?
Well, mostly the song. But "Shoot, Shoot" makes me think I should include the rest of the album as well. ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
A great guy who takes himself way too seriously, apparently.
And has trouble writing interesting or creative lyrics? You got it.

JRA
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Well, mostly the song. But "Shoot, Shoot" makes me think I should include the rest of the album as well. ;)

The song owns, (especially that middle improv riff at the 2:01 mark when he plays it live).

No discussion.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
The song owns, (especially that middle improv riff at the 2:01 mark when he plays it live).

No discussion.
Sacred Heart!?

So how many people here have seen Dio slay a cardboard dragon with a plastic lightsaber?

zgodt
03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
(and I know there's some people in this thread that probably do not enjoy Dio concerts.)
For the record, I've seen Dio live and loved it. Granted, that was almost 20 years ago, but still... when I went to see Maiden on the VXI tour, it was mostly because I wanted to see Dio (but alas, we arrived strategically late in order to miss WASP, and ended up missing Dio too).
No fucking kidding. It's good for everyone to see their sacred cows tipped every so often.

Also for the record, I never said Dio should hang it up, or stop writing about magic and mystery and colorful weather patterns. But it affects me because I care about music and I care about language.

And if people resist even engaging the question of whether their favorite artists' lyrics have merit or not, then I think that speaks poorly of people's willingness to engage with language -- which in turn impoverishes their thinking. So I'm just trying to work for ya'll mothafuckas' improvement. ;)

JRA
03-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, music is very personal to a lot of people, and not just the lyrics. And to hear some two-bit dick picking apart their band one by one could damn well be fighting words. I mean what is a fan supposed to do, take it?

It's Only Rock N' Roll, but I like it.

JRA
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Sacred Heart!?

So how many people here have seen Dio slay a cardboard dragon with a plastic lightsaber?

I haven't seen it and I don't care.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
For the record, I've seen Dio live and loved it. Granted, that was almost 20 years ago, but still... when I went to see Maiden on the VXI tour, it was mostly because I wanted to see Dio (but alas, we arrived strategically late in order to miss WASP, and ended up missing Dio too).

How'd you know I meant you? :lol: I guess I thought I remembered you saying something before (probably back in the IMBB days) about not really enjoying Dio live. You should've come to Harpo's back in 2004 when he played with Anthrax. It was a pretty good show.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I haven't seen it and I don't care.
You probably should see it.

powerslave_85
colorful weather patterns.:lol:

I, too, have seen Dio live (opening for Maiden on the GMETID tour), and enjoyed it quite a bit. So much, in fact, that I went out and bought his greatest hits CD. It kinda went downhill from there, though.

JRA
And if people resist even engaging the question of whether their favorite artists' lyrics have merit or not, then I think that speaks poorly of people's willingness to engage with language -- which in turn impoverishes their thinking. So I'm just trying to work for ya'll mothafuckas' improvement. ;)

Way to go, self-important douche.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Is it just me or did a word just change in there? :lol:

Seriously though, that's a bit uncalled for.

powerslave_85
03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, music is very personal to a lot of people, and not just the lyrics. And to hear some two-bit dick picking apart their band one by one could damn well be fighting words. I mean what is a fan supposed to do, take it?

If the "two-bit dick" in question is a faceless username on a computer screen, yes, you're supposed to just take it. It's the fucking Internet, for Pete's sake.

JRA
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM
You probably should see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFyVWU1JhA

No sword, but that snowglobe intro was there. And if I can take that, I think I can take a little swordplay.

JRA
03-26-2007, 02:10 PM
If the "two-bit dick" in question is a faceless username on a computer screen, yes, you're supposed to just take it. It's the fucking Internet, for Pete's sake.

Yes, the internet where all sorts of lovely things happen.

powerslave_85
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Yes, the internet where all sorts of lovely things happen.
Huh? :confused:

powerslave_85
03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
It's good for everyone to see their sacred cows tipped every so often. Sacred cows make good target practice. Especially if we're talking about Priest or Rush :party: :dance:

zgodt
03-26-2007, 02:15 PM

First of all, did you miss the whole "wink" smiley there? Here it is again, so you'll recognize it in the future: ;) Generally it reflects "joking" or "irony" or "playful ribbing."

Second of all, now you're calling me a "douche" and a "two-bit dick" and, apparently, something else that you thought better of and edited out. Where is this coming from? Have I ever personally attacked you, or anyone here for that matter? I would like to think we can disagree about art and entertainment without it necessarily meaning we think less of each other, and certainly without the need for silly schoolyard namecalling.

Third, of course music and lyrics are personal to people. But if you love something and regard it highly, then your love and regard should be strong enough to deflect any criticism I might have, without the need to get so fucking defensive. I mean guess what: people make fun of my music taste all the time. It doesn't faze me. And if someone wants to point out the flaws in, say, the new Iron Maiden album that I love, then I'll listen to them, and weigh their criticism if it sounds reasonable, and come to my own conclusions, and if I disagree, give my counterpoints. It's called the free exchange of ideas, and you'd think it's something a metal messageboard participant would value.

JRA
03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
I was trying to figure out why I got involved in this thread, so I looked at the first three pages. Most of them are Eric telling zgodt to shut up and Bouville banning everybody. :lol:

Div
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Holy fucking shit, I'd sell a kidney to see Dio release an album about molesting unicorns!

JRA
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Holy fucking shit, I'd sell a kidney to see Dio release an album about molesting unicorns!

By the way, anything Dio has done that is cheesy is the Godfather compared to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_UGFLT0VMY

Div
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd also like to add that people shouldn't be bashing Dio for making songs about his interests, no matter how redundant or dorky they may seem to you. Thats what sets it apart from the pop culture that tells you that "its ok to have passions, but just keep those locked inside and act/dress/sing about stuff like everyone else because thats whats cool, and if you dont then you will be shunned".

JRA
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I'd also like to add that people shouldn't be bashing Dio for making songs about his interests, no matter how redundant or dorky they may seem to you. Thats what sets it apart from the pop culture that tells you that "its ok to have passions, but just keep those locked inside and act/dress/sing about stuff like everyone else because thats whats cool, and if you dont then you will be shunned".

I so wish I had something to add to that.

A-FUCKING-MEN!

Div
03-26-2007, 02:47 PM

By the way, anything Dio has done that is cheesy is the Godfather compared to this:

:eyes:

well atleast its better than the Warriors of the World video :hecho:

Manowar may be the kings of metal, but they're the court jesters of music videos.

ChildrenofSodom
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM

amen

powerslave_85
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
That might be a valid point if the facts suggested that Dio was actually passionate about his lyrics. Given his apparent disdain for writing new material, I'd guess that's probably not the case.

ChildrenofSodom
03-26-2007, 02:56 PM

A little off topic, but I would rather be in the pit with a bunch of self-glorifying drunk middle-aged guys preaching about brotherhood and metal than in a pit with angry jackass teenagers.

JRA
03-26-2007, 02:59 PM
That might be a valid point if the facts suggested that Dio was actually passionate about his lyrics. Given his apparent disdain for writing new material, I'd guess that's probably not the case.

Not being passionate about writing new material means you aren't passionate about your old lyrics?

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Dio's pretty passionate about not being at the front of the line.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 03:34 PM

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't totally add up. Last time I checked pop culture has a pretty low bar for originality, creativity, passion, and all that good stuff. What you're saying sounds like a good excuse to conveniently gloss over valid criticisms people have by misrepresenting it as going against the grain.

Maybe most people just don’t care about rainbows that much?

ADD
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Huh?

ADD
03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't totally add up. Last time I checked pop culture has a pretty low bar for originality, creativity, passion, and all that good stuff. What you're saying sounds like a good excuse to conveniently gloss over valid criticisms people have by misrepresenting it as going against the grain.

Maybe most people just don’t care about rainbows that much?

Nothing pleases you I guess, you make fun of Dio and Tool that represent each side of the spectrum :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Nothing pleases you I guess, you make fun of Dio and Tool that represent each side of the spectrum :lol:
Well, I don't recall saying much about Tool's music honestly. I think it was about the packaging. "Vicarious" is still one of my favorite songs released last year.

But yeah, you are partially right. I am a bit of a bastard :)

ADD
03-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, I don't recall saying much about Tool's music honestly. I think it was about the packaging. "Vicarious" is still one of my favorite songs released last year.

But yeah, you are partially right. I am a bit of a bastard :)
So you have a problem with the packaging? Well congrats for being the only person I've heard of who didn't like it :D

People will complain no matter what, too simple, too elaborate, not enough creativity, too much creativity (?), I dunno whatever.

Div
03-26-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm sure if you sat down and had a few drinks with Dio he could tell you all about the world and his travels. But when it comes to his music career, his job, why risk ruining a good thing? Bands that stay true to their music style can maintain a fanbase and become successful, whereas bands who keep changing from album to album usually send their chance at a career to hell.

Why does Dio write about rainbows and magicians? Same reason King Diamond writes about ghosts, and the same reason Amon Amarth writes about vikings; it's their niche.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
So you have a problem with the packaging? Well congrats for being the only person I've heard of who didn't like it :D

People will complain no matter what, too simple, too elaborate, not enough creativity, too much creativity (?), I dunno whatever.

No, I don't have a problem with it. I don't even really remember what the argument was, but I think I might have called it "gimmicky" or something like that. I thought the packaging was pretty cool, but I don't really give a shit about the packaging.

Yeah, that's pretty much true.

JRA
03-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Dio's pretty passionate about not being at the front of the line.

I'll admit, that was cute.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 03:49 PM

I'll admit, that was cute.

:fist:

es156
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Alright, here is the mother of all multi-quotes:

I'm done now. ;)

Liar. ;)

Yes he is. The question: is it out of boredom or is he conducting evil experiments? Does he go to the Sleater-Kinney boards and talk about how much they suck?

Get real.

I find it interesting that you can claim to like Dio and then totally rip him apart in the next 3 paragraphs. What exactly do you like about Dio?

No. It is a metal set lists board. ;)

I am going to mostly agree with NPJ here. Most of the people on this board will passionately defend the music they like and there is nothing wrong with that. However, resorting to name-calling is taking it too far. Especially when you know the antagonists are just trying to stir things up.

What really surprises me is the amount of grief that Dio takes on this board. With all of the available (and more deserving) targets out there, this one doesn't make much sense. I am not saying he is beyond ridicule, but he does not deserve this much. And yes, I like Sacred Heart - the song and the album.

[By the way NPJ, I was actually eating a piece of cake while I was reading this thread earlier. How funny is that?]

JRA
03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
[By the way NPJ, I was actually eating a piece of cake while I was reading this thread earlier. How funny is that?]

:eek:

That is indeed hilarious.

By the way, what took you so long?

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Meh, if you think that's ripping Dio apart, then I would say you don't think I'm very capable of ripping stuff apart. I like Dio, because he's got a good voice, has a sense for melody, and at some point far back in the past actually did seem to be passionate and creative with his work. I also think it's quite possible to like something, but still find faults with it. Isn't that just life?

Bouville
03-26-2007, 05:38 PM
You all are pussies :party:

zgodt
03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Liar. ;)
:D In fairness, I did stay lay off of Dio for the better part of 4 pages, and only got back into it to put a mild qualification on a point made by ECW, and then people started jumping down my throat.
What really surprises me is the amount of grief that Dio takes on this board. With all of the available (and more deserving) targets out there, this one doesn't make much sense. I am not saying he is beyond ridicule, but he does not deserve this much.
Well, of course the reason is that there are people here who know, and like, Dio's work. So we have a basis for conversation. Where would we get with a discussion on the relative merits of Dashboard Confessional? "They suck." "Sure do." Case closed. Wheeee.

Do you have other bands you'd like us to debate? There's plenty of stuff to complain about out there. I'll be ready. :)

es156
03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
:eek:

That is indeed hilarious.

By the way, what took you so long?

The real world (i.e. my son) kept interrupting me.

JRA
03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
The real world (i.e. my son) kept interrupting me.

Oh, shit!

Can't complain about that.:eyes:

At least you noticed my "Shit down everyones throat so much he'll have to eat cake to fill up the quota" comment before I deleted it.

es156
03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Meh, if you think that's ripping Dio apart, then I would say you don't think I'm very capable of ripping stuff apart. I like Dio, because he's got a good voice, has a sense for melody, and at some point far back in the past actually did seem to be passionate and creative with his work. I also think it's quite possible to like something, but still find faults with it. Isn't that just life?

Fair enough. (Although, your overall capability in ripping stuff apart was not the basis of my post. I have seen your work in various Maiden and Priest related threads.) Of course it is possible to like something and still find faults with it. You just seem to go out of your way to slam Dio.

JRA
03-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Fair enough. (Although, your overall capability in ripping stuff apart was not the basis of my post. I have seen your work in various Maiden and Priest related threads.) Of course it is possible to like something and still find faults with it. You just seem to go out of your way to slam Dio.

In his defense, he goes out of his way to slam Maiden, not Dio.:D :eyes:

es156
03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
You all are pussies :party:

Shut it. I know you sing yourself to sleep at night with Dio lyrics.

:tongue:

es156
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
:D In fairness, I did stay lay off of Dio for the better part of 4 pages, and only got back into it to put a mild qualification on a point made by ECW, and then people started jumping down my throat.

Well, of course the reason is that there are people here who know, and like, Dio's work. So we have a basis for conversation. Where would we get with a discussion on the relative merits of Dashboard Confessional? "They suck." "Sure do." Case closed. Wheeee.

Do you have other bands you'd like us to debate? There's plenty of stuff to complain about out there. I'll be ready. :)

I think people here (and probably elsewhere) have a hard time discerning between "conversational debate" and "random mockery." It can be a fine line sometimes. And then things go too far, people get mad, insults are hurled, people are banned, etc. Probably half of the times that ADD has been banned here have been caused by him defending the music he likes too passionately.

And I do agree with your point about basis for conversation. A Dashboard Confessional thread probably would not go far. If you really want to get Bouville and some of the others riled up, you can start a "debate" about Manowar. That would get heated real quick. :lol:

Bouville
03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Shut it. I know you sing yourself to sleep at night with Dio lyrics.

:tongue:

Nah, I sing Mayhem songs :D

Bouville
03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
If you really want to get Bouville and some of the others riled up, you can start a "debate" about Manowar. That would get heated real quick. :lol:

HAIL AND KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't really agree. What better place to slam Dio then a thread about Dio? It's not like I bring him up in other threads ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
In his defense, he goes out of his way to slam Maiden, not Dio.:D :eyes:
:fist:

JRA
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
And I do agree with your point about basis for conversation. A Dashboard Confessional thread probably would not go far. If you really want to get Bouville and some of the others riled up, you can start a "debate" about Manowar. That would get heated real quick. :lol:

Or King Diamond...

es156
03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Nah, I sing Mayhem songs :D

Is there actual singing in any Mayhem songs, or is it all growling? Are you saying that you growl yourself to sleep?

;)

Bouville
03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Is there actual singing in any Mayhem songs, or is it all growling? Are you saying that you growl yourself to sleep?

;)

1) There is no growling in any Mayhem song.
2) There is a lot of screeching.
3) There is a lot of clean vocals too.

n00b ;)

es156
03-26-2007, 06:49 PM
1) There is no growling in any Mayhem song.
2) There is a lot of screeching.
3) There is a lot of clean vocals too.

n00b ;)

I have never listened to Mayhem. Just reading the song titles makes me NOT want to listen to them.

:D

So...do you screech yourself to sleep?

JRA
03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
I have never listened to Mayhem. Just reading the song titles makes me NOT want to listen to them.

The title "Pure Fucking Armageddon" doesn't make you want to listen to their music?

es156
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't really agree. What better place to slam Dio then a thread about Dio? It's not like I bring him up in other threads ;)

I am still going to have to apply for a revocation of your ticket to the Heaven And Hell show. Your ticket will be confiscated at the door of the venue and you will be not-so-severely roughed up by a bunch of earthdogs and rivetheads while A Matter Of Life And Death is played at full volume. You will then be sent home without a refund.

:allan:

JRA
03-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I am still going to have to apply for a revocation of your ticket to the Heaven And Hell show. Your ticket will be confiscated at the door of the venue and you will be not-so-severely roughed up by a bunch of earthdogs and rivetheads while A Matter Of Life And Death is played at full volume. You will then be sent home without a refund.

Ouch.

MetalDrummer888
03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
i find that dio lyrics on the whole are often competely devoid of anything tangible. Luckily he kicks enough ass based on vocal talent alone to not have to worry about whether or not his lyrics make any sense.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-26-2007, 07:41 PM

:(

JRA
03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
i find that dio lyrics on the whole are often competely devoid of anything tangible. Luckily he kicks enough ass based on vocal talent alone to not have to worry about whether or not his lyrics make any sense.

...and with that, I think this thread is done. Eric?

overkiller
03-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I know I'm a little late, but am I the only one who found the original post mildly funny?

JRA
03-26-2007, 08:13 PM
I know I'm a little late, but am I the only one who found the original post mildly funny?

It's about as mildly funny as you were "a little late.";)

es156
03-26-2007, 08:45 PM
:(

es156
03-26-2007, 08:47 PM

No, you are not the only one.

es156
03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
...and with that, I think this thread is done. Eric?

I would tend to agree.

Bouville
03-26-2007, 09:21 PM

:hmm:

So...do you screech yourself to sleep?

Among other things :eyes: