03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
05/11/07 Myth Maplewood, MN
05/17/07 Roseland Ballroom New York, NY
5/18 Philadelphia, PA Electric Factory
5/23 Baltimore, MD Sonar
5/25 Orlando, FL House of Blues
5/26 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle

Sorry, no source. More dates to come.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, MASTODON AND AGAINST ME! ON THE SAME TOUR!!!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

If this doesn't come to Tucson, I'll cry.

ChildrenofSodom
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
:barf:

why would Mastodon degrade themselves like that?

ADD
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
:eyes:

powerslave_85
03-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I have no idea why those two bands would hook up for a tour, but I DON'T CARE!! :rockdevil

ChildrenofSodom
03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
I knew Mastodon couldnt keep it going......They toured with Slayer....then Converge.....and now Against Me?

goddamn it

powerslave_85
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
In the words of Brady, cry more :party:

ADD
03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
In the words of Brady, cry more :party:
:lol:

It's cool to see them branching out actually, even though I don't know either of these bands really.

powerslave_85
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
By the way, CoS, exactly how many AM! songs have you heard?

ChildrenofSodom
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
By the way, CoS, exactly how many AM! songs have you heard?

Something about clapping hands, and turning them into a ballad :eyes:

MOTA is in their realm. Converge is kinda close. But Against Me sounds too different.

powerslave_85
03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Something about clapping hands, and turning them into a ballad :eyes:

MOTA is in their realm. Converge is kinda close. But Against Me sounds too different.
"Turn Those Clapping Hands Into Angry Balled Fists"?

sylpriest
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
5/25 Orlando, FL House of Blues

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, MASTODON AND AGAINST ME! ON THE SAME TOUR!!!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I sent you this in a message ages ago haha
Still I finally get to see Mastodon and Against Me! in may:party: :party:

Still though...weirdest fucking lineup EVER

Spiral_Slave
03-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Is this true? I searched and found nothing.

Edit: Nevermind I just saw it on the House Of Blues website. Total fucking bullshit.

overkiller
03-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Are Against Me! anything like Kid Dynamite? I've always though of the former as a band I'd just avoid on principle, but I do know some people who are fans of both, and I thought Kid Dynamite was kinda cool.

DethMaiden
03-06-2007, 02:35 AM
Well, I'll go, of course, if it comes close, and I'll give AM! a chance, but don't expect me to be blown away.

DethMaiden
03-06-2007, 02:40 AM
By the way, some routing. There's nowhere to stick any dates between Maryland and Florida. :wtf:

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Are Against Me! anything like Kid Dynamite? I've always though of the former as a band I'd just avoid on principle, but I do know some people who are fans of both, and I thought Kid Dynamite was kinda cool.
No, Against Me! are more folk-punk. The closest approximation I can think of is The Clash, but that's not really a good description either.

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Full dates have been announced:

Tue-5-1-07 Los Angeles, CA Wiltern LG
Wed-5-2-07 San Francisco, CA Warfield
Fri-5-4-07 Portland, OR Roseland Ballroom
Sat-5-5-07 Seattle, WA The Fenix
Sun-5-6-07 Boise, ID Big Easy
Mon-5-7-07 Salt Lake City, UT In The Venue **Against Me! and Cursive ONLY
Tue-5-8-07 Denver, CO Fillmore Auditorium
Fri-5-11-07 Minneapolis, MN The Myth
Sat-5-12-07 Chicago, IL Riviera Theatre
Sun-5-13-07 Detroit, MI State Theatre
Mon-5-14-07 Cleveland, OH House Of Blues
Tue-5-15-07 Toronto, ON Kool Haus
Thu-5-17-07 New York, NY Roseland Ballroom
Fri-5-18-07 Philadelphia, PA Electric Factory
Sat-5-19-07 Boston, MA Avalon
Mon-5-21-07 Columbus, OH Lifestyles Pavilion
Tue-5-22-07 Cincinnati, OH Bogart's
Wed-5-23-07 Baltimore, MD Sonar
Fri-5-25-07 Orlando, FL House Of Blues
Sat-5-26-07 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle

:( :( :( :(

DethMaiden
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Columbus and Cincinnati!? This is interesting...

DethMaiden
03-06-2007, 11:16 AM
For now, I'm committing to the Columbus show. It's just a much nicer venue.

ChildrenofSodom
03-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Meh....The Columbus and Cincy dates arent on a weekend, and I have seen Mastodon twice already in half a year.....and I dont think I can get a ride so close to Heaven and Hell and maybe Clutch.......and sitting through a punk band just to see Mastodon doesnt seem too appealling......we'll see.....

FYI: Bogarts kicks the ass of any Columbus venue (except Newport)

Spiral_Slave
03-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I love Mastodon, but as I told ADD yesterday, I wouldn't see this tour if it passed me 80 times.

ChildrenofSodom
03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I love Mastodon, but as I told ADD yesterday, I wouldn't see this tour if it passed me 80 times.

Yeah....Seeing Mastodon has been cool....but a third time would be a little tiring....and if the Converge fans were fucking assholes, then I cant begin to imagine all the freaks and jerks that would come to see Cursive and Against Me.

FACT: Punk and Hardcore fans are assholes.

zgodt
03-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Oh please.

Spiral_Slave
03-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah....Seeing Mastodon has been cool....but a third time would be a little tiring....and if the Converge fans were fucking assholes, then I cant begin to imagine all the freaks and jerks that would come to see Cursive and Against Me.

I've seen Against Me! live I think three times, I will not put myself through that again. :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
03-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh please.

Most of them are hormonal teen numbskulls that think they are angry at something...

Nothing compared to the fans at Metal Crusaders or In Flames

ADD
03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Why do they always like playing here on weeknights? :lol:

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Most of them are hormonal teen numbskulls that think they are angry at something...

This describes 99% of everyone I've seen at a metal show.

ADD
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
This describes 99% of everyone I've seen at a metal show.
What kind of metal shows do you go to? :eyes: I rarely see a ton of kids when I've gone to shows in general, and they never even make up the majority, and if I do see them they don't seem to fit that description.

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, that was an exaggeration, but I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. There's just as many cool people at punk shows as there are at metal shows. I just think some people have a built-in bias against punk, and therefore only see things through blinders.

ChildrenofSodom
03-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Well, that was an exaggeration, but I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. There's just as many cool people at punk shows as there are at metal shows. I just think some people have a built-in bias against punk, and therefore only see things through blinders.

The music sucks...how about that?

And I dont go to metal shows to be a jackass to everyone around me. I will enjoy myself whilst enjoying the music, but I dont want some kid pumping his sweaty arms over my head, occasionally hitting me, while singing some dipshit lyrics, and trying with all his might to get the rail spot that I have had the whole fucking show, no matter who he hurts or steps on along the way...

JRA
03-06-2007, 04:57 PM

And I dont go to metal shows to be a jackass to everyone around me. I will enjoy myself whilst enjoying the music, but I dont want some kid pumping his sweaty arms over my head, occasionally hitting me, while singing some dipshit lyrics, and trying with all his might to get the rail spot that I have had the whole fucking show, no matter who he hurts or steps on along the way...

#1 "YOU CAN CRUSH US, YOU CAN SHOOT US, BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO ANSWER TO, OOOOOOOOOOOOH! OH! THE GUNS OF BRIXTON!"

#2 There are self-important fuckheads for every genre of music.

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM

Are you one of those assholes who stands there with his arms crossed and gets pissed whenever someone bumps into him? I'm sorry, but if going nuts during my favorite songs and pumping my fist and screaming every word makes me an dipshit, then so be it.

JRA
03-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I just think some people have a built-in bias against punk, and therefore only see things through blinders.

Here's my thing. I kinda do have a bias against punk. I was watching the 21st Century feature on Iron Maiden and NWOBHM and somebody on there expressed his distate for punk because he felt it was completely anti-musical. And I mean, I'm trying to get myself to enjoy punk and all, but that guy did have a point. I mean if I'm not mistaken, punk made up for lack of musical ability with attitude, which is commendable, but you can only get so far with attitude.

ADD
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Are you one of those assholes who stands there with his arms crossed and gets pissed whenever someone bumps into him? I'm sorry, but if going nuts during my favorite songs and pumping my fist and screaming every word makes me an dipshit, then so be it.

Seconded. But I did feel bad when the one of the guys behind me at Maiden this past October told me to watch my arms cuz I was almost hitting his girlfriend in the face :lol:

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Here's my thing. I kinda do have a bias against punk. I was watching the 21st Century feature on Iron Maiden and NWOBHM and somebody on there expressed his distate for punk because he felt it was completely anti-musical. And I mean, I'm trying to get myself to enjoy punk and all, but that guy did have a point. I mean if I'm not mistaken, punk made up for lack of musical ability with attitude, which is commendable, but you can only get so far with attitude.
Musical ability doesn't just only mean playing dazzling guitar solos or 10 minute songs with 3 different time signatures. Sometimes it means great fucking songwriting, and writing with passion and soul. If it only takes 3 chords to do that, then why not? I'm not even going to bother pointing out that there are TONS of punk bands who know how to play the shit out of their instruments.

JRA
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Seconded. But I did feel bad when the one of the guys behind me at Maiden this past October told me to watch my arms cuz I was almost hitting his girlfriend in the face :lol:

Well, there is a difference between nudging someone accidentally and almost wrecking their friends face.

IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE! IT'S CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

ADD
03-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Well, there is a difference between nudging someone accidentally and almost wrecking their friends face.

IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE! IT'S CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!
Meh :D If they don't like it then we can fight :party:

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Here's a great quote by David Thorpe, who writes the "Your Band Sucks" column on Something Awful.com:

Prog-rock is an elaborate, terrified denial of the fundamental rock and roll fact that no matter how virtuosic and sophisticated a band gets, some junior-high dropout could step up with a guitar with four broken strings and play a song with enough soul to blow them out of the water forever.
:party:

JRA
03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Musical ability doesn't just only mean playing dazzling guitar solos or 10 minute songs with 3 different time signatures. Sometimes it means great fucking songwriting, and writing with passion and soul. If it only takes 3 chords to do that, then why not?

I'm not even going to bother pointing out that there are TONS of punk bands who know how to play the shit out of their instruments.

Well, yea, it means playing you're instrument well and performing well.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but for future reference, I'd like to know who those bands are (especially after hearing Johnny Ramone say stuff like he never pracitced guitar because he was afraid he would hurt their sound).

JRA
03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Here's a great quote by David Thorpe, who writes the "Your Band Sucks" column on Something Awful.com:

:party:

David Thorpe. Now there's someone who should be skinned alive. And if hating his guts means I have no sense of humor about music, then fuck sense of humor!

powerslave_85
03-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, yea, it means playing you're instrument well and performing well.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but for future reference, I'd like to know who those bands are (especially after hearing Johnny Ramone say stuff like he never pracitced guitar because he was afraid he would hurt their sound).
AFI
Bad Religion
Fugazi
The Clash
Sleater-Kinney
Hot Water Music
NoMeansNo
Strung Out

A few of those bands (AFI, Sleater-Kinney, NoMeansNo) have members who are arguably virtuosos at their respective instruments. There's more, but I'm having a hard time thinking right now.

David Thorpe is hilarious. If he can make me laugh at music that I love, he's good.

Oh, and using the Ramones as a standard of punk musicianship is a pretty terrible argument.

JRA
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
AFI
Bad Religion
Fugazi
The Clash
Sleater-Kinney
Hot Water Music
NoMeansNo
Strung Out

A few of those bands (AFI, Sleater-Kinney, NoMeansNo) have members who are arguably virtuosos at their respective instruments. There's more, but I'm having a hard time thinking right now.

Well, the reason I said for future reference is because I didn't want you to bend over backwards to mention every band you knew who could do so.

Fugazi was on my hypothetical "Punk shopping guide" though, so thanks for pointing that out.

JRA
03-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Oh, and using the Ramones as a standard of punk musicianship is a pretty terrible argument.

I hope so. The Ramones have kinda grown on me, but still.

ChildrenofSodom
03-06-2007, 06:20 PM

No, I jump around, pump my fists, and occasionally mosh.....but have you never seen the kids that jump around, flailing their arms, hitting everyone around them, making it hell for the others trying to enjoy the music. I think the closeness of the crowd and the movement of everyone adds to the atmosphere of the show, but there is a limit. When I'm getting punched in the back of the head, or being hip-checked out of my rail spot, just because some jackass and his girlfriend feel they are more deserving....that is too far...not my idea of fun.

Spiral_Slave
03-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm really not looking to start a huge fight here, but there is no way you can jusitfy saying The Clash " play the hell " out of their instruments. I was a fan of the band for a long time, and this is just not true.

zgodt
03-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm really not looking to start a huge fight here, but there is no way you can jusitfy saying The Clash " play the hell " out of their instruments. I was a fan of the band for a long time, and this is just not true.

Do you dispute that they are good musicians?

zgodt
03-06-2007, 08:01 PM
AFI
Bad Religion
Fugazi
The Clash
Sleater-Kinney
Hot Water Music
NoMeansNo
Strung Out

David Thorpe is hilarious. If he can make me laugh at music that I love, he's good.

That's a good starting list. There's obviously a lot one could add to it, and I won't belabor the point, except to point out the Subhumans, an early 80s UK punk band who were every bit as ambitious musically as any of the metal bands of their era, using complicated arrangements, inventive time signatures, 15-minute epics, etc.

Oh, and the minutemen deserve mention.

Because punk has always been pretty much diametrically opposed to the masturbatory guitar excesses that characterize much of metal, punk guitarists tend toward a stripped down, often solo-less approach that renders them fairly invisible in terms of the guitar technique debates. But J. Robbins of Jawbox and Burning Airlines and now Channels is my Jimi Hendrix, because of his completely unique (while not technically "flashy") approach to the instrument.

But apart from guitarists, the bassists and drummers of many punk bands are completely fucking dynamite -- especially those of NoMeansNo (best drummer and best bass player I've ever heard) and the minutemen.

zgodt
03-06-2007, 08:03 PM
As for fans, I've been to a lot of punk shows, and a lot of metal shows. The argument that punk fans are ruder, or stupider, or in any other way inherently worse than metal fans is completely untenable, in my experience. To claim such is more a reflection of your biases than any kind of factual observation.

Spiral_Slave
03-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Do you dispute that they are good musicians?

I'm not saying they suck at their instruments, but I think " playing the hell " out them is definitely not true.

zgodt
03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm not saying they suck at their instruments, but I think " playing the hell " out them is definitely not true.

I understand what you're saying, but I guess it depends on your interpretation. They definitely could pull off a greater variety of sounds than most bands of that or any era.

ADD
03-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I have nothing against any of those kind of bands at all, I'm sure they're all very talented, but that sound just doesn't do anything for me. I tried Sleater-Kinney even and I didn't like it that much.

zgodt
03-07-2007, 05:33 AM
I have nothing against any of those kind of bands at all, I'm sure they're all very talented, but that sound just doesn't do anything for me. I tried Sleater-Kinney even and I didn't like it that much.
That's fair. No one can fault you for saying "it doesn't do anything for me." What's irritating is to see blanket statements about how punk is "unmusical," "untalented," and exclusively favored by belligerent pricks.

es156
03-07-2007, 09:37 AM
This thread is starting to remind me of the movie Quadrophenia. :eyes:

The important question is: will Mastodon be playing a full headlining set or is this a co-headlining tour with a shorter Mastodon set?

JRA
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
This thread is starting to remind me of the movie Quadrophenia. :eyes:

I've never seen that movie, so please lay down the law in more simpler terms?:D

es156
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I've never seen that movie, so please lay down the law in more simpler terms?:D

I think you might like it. It is based on the album of the same name by The Who. Basically the storyline is about the "Mod" culture of 1960's England and how much they were at war with the "Rockers" of the time. Kind of like the punk vs. metal theme that this thread has taken on. I think most of the songs from the album are in the movie. Definitely not a masterpiece, but it is an interesting movie, maybe along the lines of A Clockwork Orange.

JRA
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I think you might like it. It is based on the album of the same name by The Who. Basically the storyline is about the "Mod" culture of 1960's England and how much they were at war with the "Rockers" of the time. Kind of like the punk vs. metal theme that this thread has taken on. I think most of the songs from the album are in the movie. Definitely not a masterpiece, but it is an interesting movie, maybe along the lines of A Clockwork Orange.

Well I know its a Who based project based on the album. I just didn't know what it was all about (since I've only heard Real Me, 5:15 and Love Reign O'er Me).

Fallen Shadow
03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
against me! wants to be anti-flag really bad

Fallen Shadow
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
well...kind of

i like a lot of other punk though