PDA

View Full Version : Rap Music Sales Decline 21% from 2005 to 2006

hot_turkey_ed
03-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Source: WMDT (http://www.wmdt.com/topstory/displaystory.asp?id=4558)

Rap has been on the upswing, according to the story, for 30 years. A 21% decline is a big deal.

:violin:

:bigfinger

ChildrenofSodom
03-02-2007, 05:18 AM
This is great news.

JRA
03-02-2007, 05:40 AM
Wow, and I actually bought three rap albums last year.

JRA
03-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Wait, 30 years? What rap artist was around in 1977? :lol:

zgodt
03-02-2007, 06:35 AM
Wait, 30 years? What rap artist was around in 1977? :lol:

Started in the early '70s, although the first commercial recordings came out in '79.

overkiller
03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Interesting. That article souns reeeeeallly fucking sketchy though.

zgodt
03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Source: WMDT (http://www.wmdt.com/topstory/displaystory.asp?id=4558)

Rap has been on the upswing, according to the story, for 30 years. A 21% decline is a big deal.

:violin:

:bigfinger

I know it's your website and all, but why the gloating?

Angelripper
03-02-2007, 07:18 AM
OK. Rap still outsells Metal.

JRA
03-02-2007, 07:26 AM
OK. Rap still outsells Metal.

:lol:

Probably.

That doesn't make it better though. ;)

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Prove it? I don't see how that's anything but blatantly obvious.

Fe Maiden
03-02-2007, 07:30 AM
This is great news.Indeed!

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Besides, I'm pretty sure that ALL music sales dropped that much in the last year.

Div
03-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Ska/emo stuff seems to be the big thing now. Maybe over time rap will become a genre of specific fans like metal has become?

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Ska/emo stuff seems to be the big thing now. Maybe over time rap will become a genre of specific fans like metal has become?
Do you even know what ska is?

Angelripper
03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
:lol:

Probably.

That doesn't make it better though. ;)
I didn't say it was.

I just find it odd how our lovely hot_turkey_ed has always been a "screw-you Metal is my soul and I don't care what everyone else says" guy and suddenly creates a thread about Rap artists not selling as many albums. I always thought good music is stuff like Pig Destroyer and whatnot, bands that sell an album a day.

DethMaiden
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Eh, it probably just means bad pop music gained 21% in sales. Fergalicious and Sexyback aren't my idea of better than rap.

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree with Scott, this is just a bunch of pointless gloating. I think this thread should go away.

JRA
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I didn't say it was.

I always thought good music is stuff like Pig Destroyer and whatnot, bands that sell an album a day.

Oh, you sounded like it you were saying that though.

Amen. :fist:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-02-2007, 10:53 AM
So? Bruce Dickinson's solo albums never sold worth a crap, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to go away. Dio's last few albums can't even sell 5,000 in their first few weeks. Pretty sure he's not going away either.

I mean, I don't even own any rap albums, and don't really listen to rap, but really... at the end of the day, who cares about sales? I'm pretty sure metal sales declined in the 90's when grunge hit the scene, but it didn't go away. I doubt rap will either.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Indeed!

In related news, everybody that didn't buy rap albums probably bought the new Iron Maiden album instead.

Next year's headline? "Rap sales rebound 21%"

:)

ChildrenofSodom
03-02-2007, 12:03 PM
So? Bruce Dickinson's solo albums never sold worth a crap, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to go away. Dio's last few albums can't even sell 5,000 in their first few weeks. Pretty sure he's not going away either.

I mean, I don't even own any rap albums, and don't really listen to rap, but really... at the end of the day, who cares about sales? I'm pretty sure metal sales declined in the 90's when grunge hit the scene, but it didn't go away. I doubt rap will either.

I doubt want rap to disappear, but I am would LOVE to see it disappear from MTV, MTV 2, the radio, VH1, our schools, society's fashion, etc. In today's world, the most popular people are either emo 'rockers' and gangsta rappers....Its bullshit.....

I predict emos will cry 21% more this year, and their balls will shrink 21%

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
EMO IS A PUNK SUBGENRE, NOT AN ADJECTIVE FOR DIPSHIT TEENAGERS WITH NO FASHION SENSE!!!!

*takes deep breath*

Div
03-02-2007, 12:38 PM

yea

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
yea
Really? Because it hasn't been mainstream since like 1999. I haven't heard it on the radio or MTV for a very long time. I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about.

Div
03-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Really? Because it hasn't been mainstream since like 1999. I haven't heard it on the radio or MTV for a very long time. I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about.

oh well, I have quite a few friends in that scene and they would say otherwise

JRA
03-02-2007, 12:48 PM

Wrong 'em Boyo?

EvilCheeseWedge
03-02-2007, 01:01 PM
I doubt want rap to disappear, but I am would LOVE to see it disappear from MTV, MTV 2, the radio, VH1, our schools, society's fashion, etc. In today's world, the most popular people are either emo 'rockers' and gangsta rappers....Its bullshit.....

I predict emos will cry 21% more this year, and their balls will shrink 21%

I'm being serious when I say who the fuck cares? Would you rather those people be wearing Iron Maiden shirts? Would you rather MTV go back to showing metal garbage (ie crap like Warrant, which oh man... them and Poison and everybody were sooo much better than the throwaway pop garbage on there now.) Mullets used to be popular too, you know.

Does the fact that something isn't popular somehow affect your enjoyment of it?

JRA
03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm being serious when I say who the fuck cares? Would you rather those people be wearing Iron Maiden shirts? Would you rather MTV go back to showing metal garbage (ie crap like Warrant, which oh man... them and Poison and everybody were sooo much better than the throwaway pop garbage on there now.) Mullets used to be popular too, you know.

I have said it before and I will say it again: I would rather have another 15 years of Warrant & Poison than another 15 seconds of Daniel Powter and James Blunt.

But to answer your question, I would rather somebody pull an Osama Bin Laden on MTV. Preferably right in the middle of the VMA's.

EvilCheeseWedge
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again: I would rather have another 15 years of Warrant & Poison than another 15 seconds of Daniel Powter and James Blunt.

But to answer your question, I would rather somebody pull an Osama Bin Laden on MTV. Preferably right in the middle of the VMA's.
Yeah, I would like that too... that way the general public can get the image of metal being retarded in their heads again :)

Heheheh, well, yeah... but still, I wonder how hard it is for people to turn off MTV? You guys probably have 100s of channels, go watch HGTV or something. :D

ADD
03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I want metal to be underground again.

hot_turkey_ed
03-02-2007, 02:34 PM

It largely still is...

ADD
03-02-2007, 02:47 PM
It largely still is...
I guess.

ChildrenofSodom
03-02-2007, 02:52 PM

I would rather see hair metal than screamo....I dont LOVE anything that is too mainstream nowadays, but I HATE a few things that are......the screamo, emo shit needs to die....It doesnt directly affect me, but it is so goddamn annoying, and most of the fans are punks and assholes. They dress weird and talk weird and write geigh poetry and take geigh 'surreal' pictures, just so they can stand out. But when a million kids do the same thing, it is no longer individualism; its just annoying.

:2cents:

ChildrenofSodom
03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
It largely still is...

I think this is what Addi was referring to when he wished metal had stayed underground

Trivium are like clouds; there's nothing underground about em.

http://cdn-20.cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users13/devonox/default/msg-116474698596.jpg.

ADD
03-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Basically. Everything in the world is just despicable about that picture. I'd take any of Allan's Michael Jackson photos over that.

ChildrenofSodom
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Basically. Everything in the world is just despicable about that picture. I'd take any of Allan's Michael Jackson photos over that.

1) Those stupid emo/hardcore earrings
2) The non-faded Killers shirt that every rock fan and poser in the world owns.....that says....I like Iron Maiden....But I only listen to their first two albums and occasionally The Trooper.
3) the acne scars on his cheek
4) The dumbass "I am so stellar awesome, dude" facial expression.

ADD
03-02-2007, 03:02 PM
2) The non-faded Killers shirt that every rock fan and poser in the world owns.....that says....I like Iron Maiden....But I only listen to their first two albums and occasionally The Trooper.
Nice assessment. I'd also add the emo haircut and stupid nose-ring personally.

ChildrenofSodom
03-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Yes. Most Definetly.

JRA
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Lemmy: "Commercial is a funny word to use as an insult, cos that just means that more people just bought your music; which is why you set out to do it in the first place. And some hipster cunt couldn't stand it anymore because its not his baby anymore, that only him and five of his mates know about him."

ADD
03-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Lemmy: "Commercial is a funny word to use as an insult, cos that just means that more people just bought your music; which is why you set out to do it in the first place. And some hipster cunt couldn't stand it anymore because its not his baby anymore, that only him and five of his mates know about him."
Yup :fist: So me and my five mates can tell everyone else to fuck off :party:

Div
03-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Don't forget:

-) the incomplete dragon tattoo that looks like it was done with a ball point pen backstage before the show.

-) no facial hair, not even sideburns

ADD
03-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Don't forget:

-) the incomplete dragon tattoo that looks like it was done with a ball point pen backstage before the show.

Indeed, nice.

DethMaiden
03-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Damn Matt Heafy for existing.

es156
03-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Now we know the real reason Tower Records went out of business.

overkiller
03-02-2007, 06:04 PM

Don't forget:

Jesus christ. You all well know how much I hate Trivium and am fully against them and all they represent, but when you spend so much time thinking about trivial (ouch, no pun intended) shit like this, you're completely missing the point. And, nose rings are cool. :finger: Hopefully I'll quit procrastinating and get one as I've wanted to for some time now.

Fallen Shadow
03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
there actually are some pretty solid rap artists...its just the mainstream shitty stuff that brings down the genre

its the same with almost every genre

overkiller
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
there actually are some pretty solid rap artists...its just the mainstream shitty stuff that brings down the genre

Indeed.

JRA
03-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Nobody beats the 'R,' bitches.

http://www.nndb.com/people/356/000045221/rakim.jpg

DethMaiden
03-02-2007, 07:32 PM
And, nose rings are cool. :finger: Hopefully I'll quit procrastinating and get one as I've wanted to for some time now.

Correction, nose rings are cool when the ring starts in one nostril and ends in the other like Warrel Dane's, and are geigh on just one.

overkiller
03-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Correction, nose rings are cool when the ring starts in one nostril and ends in the other like Warrel Dane's, and are geigh on just one.

Eck, no. That's called a septum piercing, I think they look soo stupid. Especially on girls--I just think, "Uhh why do you want to look like a bull?"

DethMaiden
03-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Eck, no. That's called a septum piercing, I think they look soo stupid. Especially on girls--I just think, "Uhh why do you want to look like a bull?"

Well, I think it's cooler than one nostril. I do think a little diamond stud in a girl's nose looks good though.

Div
03-02-2007, 07:44 PM

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/05/nose_ring.html

DethMaiden
03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/05/nose_ring.html

:lol: That was pretty fucking great.

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 08:06 PM
You made fun of him for fucking acne scars? Something he has no control over, and doesn't have the slightest bearing on what he listens to or the kind of music he plays?? Some of you are being really goddamned stupid.

ChildrenofSodom
03-02-2007, 08:27 PM
You made fun of him for fucking acne scars? Something he has no control over, and doesn't have the slightest bearing on what he listens to or the kind of music he plays?? Some of you are being really goddamned stupid.

Well....He is 20 something years old.....its funny to see 'the new Metalllica' out there with acne...

powerslave_85
03-02-2007, 08:48 PM
:hecho:

zgodt
03-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Wrong 'em Boyo?

:lovedup:

JRA
03-02-2007, 09:53 PM
:hecho:

If I didn't have Van Halen, Rush, and Pink Floyd collections to stock up on, I would by Trivium's albums just to piss everybody off.:D

EvilCheeseWedge
03-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I actually bought a used Trivium album today out of spite for this thread :)

I've heard worse. I've heard better.

JRA
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I actually bought a used Trivium album today out of spite for this thread :)

I've heard worse. I've heard better.

You bought a Trivium album out of spite for decrease in rap sales thread...

Brilliant!

:fist:

EvilCheeseWedge
03-02-2007, 11:34 PM
You bought a Trivium album out of spite for decrease in rap sales thread...

Brilliant!

:fist:

So what if the logic doesn't add up :D

hot_turkey_ed
03-03-2007, 01:16 AM

I hardly a fan of Trivium but there's not a lot about their music in the criticisms here... it's supposed to be about the music, right?

P85.. :fist:

Angelripper
03-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Can you post a picture of yourself for criticism?

Angelripper
03-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Benzoyl Peroxide gets rid of acne and the scars. With the amount of cash he earns, he should buy some.

Angelripper
03-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Lemmy is damn eloquent. :fist:

overkiller
03-03-2007, 07:31 AM

lol.

JRA
03-03-2007, 08:08 AM

I can!

http://www.gigantour.com/megadethphoto/092906BOSTON/lo_res/lo_IMG_6879.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
03-03-2007, 08:30 AM

Shut up emo.

JRA
03-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Shut up emo.

That was totally called for.

Angelripper
03-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Shut up emo.
:eek:

Point well taken, child created by anal sex.

Angelripper
03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I can!

http://www.gigantour.com/megadethphoto/092906BOSTON/lo_res/lo_IMG_6879.jpg
The guy in the middle is talented.

JRA
03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
The guy in the middle is talented.

Thank you! :D

Angelripper
03-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Thank you! :D
With a tongue like that, there's no need to bang the Asian.

JRA
03-03-2007, 10:16 AM
With a tongue like that, there's no need to bang the Asian.

Let's not talk about that. After last night's thread, this entire board has lost its "Josh's dirty stories" priviliges.

es156
03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
After last night's thread, this entire board has lost its "Josh's dirty stories" priviliges.

Agreed.

ChildrenofSodom
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
That was totally called for.

are you serious, or did you forget the 'un' before called?

JRA
03-03-2007, 02:17 PM
are you serious, or did you forget the 'un' before called?

The question is: Do I tell him, or do I leave him in suspense?

I think I'll do the latter.

ChildrenofSodom
03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I think I'll do the latter.

asshat of the week

hardy har har

JRA
03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
asshat of the week

hardy har har

Looks like I'm not the only one who sucks at reading sarcasm.

You shouldn't have called Angelripper an emo.:cool:

ChildrenofSodom
03-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one who sucks at reading sarcasm.

You shouldn't have called Angelripper an emo.:cool:
http://www.themarrowfoundation.org/EVENTS/2006/images/ThanksMom_w_daughter.jpg