PDA

View Full Version : Japan anger at US sex slave bill

overkiller
02-19-2007, 10:55 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6374961.stm

Uh... does anybody else find it a little weird that the U.S. Congress is proposing a resolution about this?

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Wow, what a good example of the U.S. dicking around where they have no business dicking around at.

powerslave_85
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Hmm. I feel like I don't have information about this to form an opinion on it.

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Hmm. I feel like I don't have information about this to form an opinion on it.

Well, what irked me was the sentence that roughly said, "The Japanese military took sex slaves from China, Mongolia, etc." The U.S. wasn't among the countries listed, so perhaps it isn't our moral duty to right the wrong.

Div
02-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Pfthh, wtf are you guys bitching about, as the last world super power we have a responsibility to police the world and make sure they do the right thing, I mean who else is going to do it? m i rite? :tp:

JRA
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
So...are they trying to get Japan to apologize for the Rape of Nanking?

overkiller
02-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, what irked me was the sentence that roughly said, "The Japanese military took sex slaves from China, Mongolia, etc." The U.S. wasn't among the countries listed, so perhaps it isn't our moral duty to right the wrong.

Yeah, that's why this has me :confused:

SomewhereInTime72
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Dear congress: STFU.

KillYourFace
02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Are you kidding me?? It's about time they apologized.

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that's why this has me :confused:

Yeah. I mean, I have no problem with the Japanese government formally admitting they were wrong, but it hasn't got a thing to do with us.

Oh well.

SomewhereInTime72
02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
"Japan acknowledged in 1993 that the imperial army set up and ran brothels for its troops during the war.

The government set up a special fund in 1995, which relies on private donations to provide compensation. "

Apparently, things HAVE been happening and further steps shouldn't require US pushing to happen. But then again, US and Japan are like business buds. :eyes:

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
"Japan acknowledged in 1993 that the imperial army set up and ran brothels for its troops during the war.

The government set up a special fund in 1995, which relies on private donations to provide compensation. "

Apparently, things HAVE been happening and further steps shouldn't require US pushing to happen. But then again, US and Japan are like business buds. :eyes:

We love us some Nintendo.

Div
02-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I thought the new democratic congress was supposed to be getting us out of iraq, not wasting time with things like this that dont concern us at all.

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah...Fuck Darfur, all the AID-infested Africans, those defenseless rape victims, the Jews of the Holocaust.....

Fuck all of em....we didnt need to get involved...let them sort it out, its none of our business...

Right?

Well, those are wrongs that can be righted in our time because they're currently happening, with the exception of the Holocaust, which we also assisted with while it was happening. Should we be concerning ourselves with something that happened sixty years ago and can't be taken back, especially when it has nothing to do with us? I think not.

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, those are wrongs that can be righted in our time because they're currently happening, with the exception of the Holocaust, which we also assisted with while it was happening. Should we be concerning ourselves with something that happened sixty years ago and can't be taken back, especially when it has nothing to do with us? I think not.

Not something in the past...no....but I do agree that America has a right/duty to help the needy throughout the world...contrary to what Mike thinks...

Vote Lindbergh in 1920...ISOLATION ALL THE WAY!!!! :usa:

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Not something in the past...no....but I do agree that American has a right/duty to help the need throughout the world...contrary to what Mike thinks...

Vote Lindbergh in 1920...ISOLATION ALL THE WAY!!!! :usa:

Right, yes. Duty, no. Self-interest should always take precedence.

overkiller
02-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah...Fuck Darfur, all the AID-infested Africans, those defenseless rape victims, the Jews of the Holocaust.....

Fuck all of em....we didnt need to get involved...let them sort it out, its none of our business...

Right?

Please don't ruin this thread. I was wary about posting a mildly volatile topic like this. Posts like this will go nowhere.

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Right, yes. Duty, no. Self-interest should always take precedence.

But all the outcry with Darfur and Africa and AIDs......do you think America should stay out of it? Because it isnt in our best interests? Was World War II in our best interests?

And Brady, I was not trying to fuck it up...I was making an exagerrated point that sticking our heads in the sand and ignoring international crisis is not favorable....thats all.

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 05:21 PM
But all the outcry with Darfur and Africa and AIDs......do you think America should stay out of it? Because it isnt in our best interests? Was World War II in our best interests?

And Brady, I was not trying to fuck it up...I was making an exagerrated point that sticking our heads in the sand and ignoring international crisis is not favorable....thats all.

We really aren't doing that goddamned much in Africa, so don't try to make America look like Superman.

And sixty year old sex slavery cases are not international crises.

</end>

overkiller
02-19-2007, 05:22 PM
We really aren't doing that goddamned much in Africa, so don't try to make America look like Superman.

</end>

Ding ding ding, winnar.

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 05:25 PM

</end>

I'm not trying to make America look amazing. I am trying to play devil's advocate: Should America just keep sending food to Africa? Or should we be doing more? Less?

Where does self-interest end, and our duties as HUMANS to provide humanitarian support to other HUMANS begin?

Sixty Year old sex slavery cases may not be international crises right now, but back in the 40s and 50s (when it should have been dealt with) dont you think the kidnapping, prostituting, and raping of that many people would have been a big deal? It is not a problem now, and Congress is wasting time and money......

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm not trying to make America look amazing. I am trying to play devil's advocate: Should America just keep sending food to Africa? Or should we be doing more? Less?

Where does self-interest end, and our duties as HUMANS to provide humanitarian support to other HUMANS begin?

Sixty Year old sex slavery cases may not be international crises right now, but back in the 40s and 50s (when it should have been dealt with) dont you think the kidnapping, prostituting, and raping of that many people would have been a big deal? It is not a problem now, and Congress is wasting time and money.....

That's all I was really getting at. So ta-da.

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 05:29 PM
The 79th, 80th, and 81st Congresses should have dealt with this, not the 110th

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 05:30 PM
That's all I was really getting at. So ta-da.

fine, we agree

the other parts of my posts are directed to Mike

SomewhereInTime72
02-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Sixty Year old sex slavery cases may not be international crises right now, but back in the 40s and 50s (when it should have been dealt with) dont you think the kidnapping, prostituting, and raping of that many people would have been a big deal?

We were kind of at war with japan while it was happening.

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 06:35 PM
We were kind of at war with japan while it was happening.

I know....and?

Div
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
fine, we agree

the other parts of my posts are directed to Mike

I was waiting for you to post in this thread, and I can see you're just dying for my responce.

Look, this country really needs to get its' shit together, and until we do that we can't possibly even consider going around playing world police. We have an economy thats slowly deteriorating (compare the value of the dollar in 2001 to the value of it today), our army is on the other side of the planet, our boarders are wide open for anyone who wants to take a short desert stroll, alot of people are fed up with the government, and we aren't viewed kindly by many other countries... I'd say that a 60 year old inciddent between china and japan is at the bottom of our list of shit to fix. Also, how can you expect to help someone else when you can't even manage yourself. If america is to play the role of helper then we need to make sure we are at full strength so we have the proper resources to help with.

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 06:40 PM
I was waiting for you to post in this thread, and I can see you're just dying for my responce.

Look, this country really needs to get its' shit together, and until we do that we can't possibly even consider going around playing world police. We have an economy thats slowly deteriorating (compare the value of the dollar in 2001 to the value of it today), our army is on the other side of the planet, our boarders are wide open for anyone who wants to take a short desert stroll, alot of people are fed up with the government, and we aren't viewed kindly by many other countries... I'd say that a 60 year old inciddent between china and japan is at the bottom of our list of shit to fix. Also, how can you expect to help someone else when you can't even manage yourself. If america is to play the role of helper then we need to make sure we are at full strength so we have the proper resources to help with.

Congratulations, you're objectivist! :party:

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 06:45 PM

I agree with you on most of that, we have alot of shit to do, and these nonbinding resolutions do nothing. This particular one is a waste, and all the ones that the Dems pass do NOTHING AT ALL.

Thats why we elected the Democrats into Congress, to fix our problems..But they wont close the borders because they will lose the 'hispanic vote', they wont bring the troops home for god knows why, and I dont even know what will fix the economy, though the Dow Jones has been rising for a while now.

Hope is lost, everything is lost.

Div
02-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Congratulations, you're objectivist! :party:

i was just pointing that out for those who think we need to be some sort of global salvation army, my own opinions werent included in that post :)

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 06:47 PM
i was just pointing that out for those who think we need to be some sort of global salvation army, my own opinions werent included in that post :)

We dont need to leap into every little situation, but we need to find a happy medium...because we are getting fucked over in Iraq, where we overestimated the importance of intervening......and we are scorned for not doing enough in Africa....We need something in that middle that would be reasonable...

Div
02-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I agree with you on most of that, we have alot of shit to do, and these nonbinding resolutions do nothing. This particular one is a waste, and all the ones that the Dems pass do NOTHING AT ALL.

Thats why we elected the Democrats into Congress, to fix our problems..But they wont close the borders because they will lose the 'hispanic vote', they wont bring the troops home for god knows why, and I dont even know what will fix the economy, though the Dow Jones has been rising for a while now.

Hope is lost, everything is lost.

There is but one man who has the right positions to turn things around... and it's not blaze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 06:53 PM
There is but one man who has the right positions to turn things around... and it's not blaze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul

I'll check em out :fist:

He seems like a very staunch conservative, with his outspoken stances on the war on terror and thing that the government spends money on. It appears he doesnt want the government to spend money on medals, because it will cost to much. He wants to put EVERYTHING in the hands of the states (a little extreme)

In all, it sounds like he wants to every American to do whatever he or she wants, America to stay out of every foreign affair (by leaving the UN), and he shoots down every piece of legislation that could protect or benefit millions, for fear that it will infringe on the civil liberties of even one citizen.

Div
02-19-2007, 06:53 PM
We dont need to leap into every little situation, but we need to find a happy medium...because we are getting fucked over in Iraq, where we overestimated the importance of intervening......and we are scorned for not doing enough in Africa....We need something in that middle that would be reasonable...

Well, isn't it the UN's job to donate food and medicine and help out the world?

SomewhereInTime72
02-19-2007, 06:55 PM

Yeah, but... :tongue:

DethMaiden
02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but... :tongue:

Seriously. Since when did the U.N. let their "job" get in the way of being useless?

Div
02-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Seriously. Since when did the U.N. let their "job" get in the way of being useless?

:LOLFC:

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 07:09 PM

and where does the UN get its food and medicine? Certainly not out of their asses.......America and other nations donate that stuff, that the UN then transports.

Div
02-19-2007, 07:19 PM
and where does the UN get its food and medicine? Certainly not out of their asses.......America and other nations donate that stuff, that the UN then transports.

I get that you want to help people, but do you think it's the governments job to manage other countries? you can start a private organizaiton and go to africa and give out food and clothes, you dont need the governemnt to do that.

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I get that you want to help people, but do you think it's the governments job to manage other countries? you can start a private organizaiton and go to africa and give out food and clothes, you dont need the governemnt to do that.

I am not saying that I want to go to Africa and help the little Africans, I was pointing out that we are flogged by the World Community for intervening with some nations, and flogged for NOT intervening with others. What do we do? Play world police for all? Say 'screw you' to everyone? Or pick and choose who we help?

And the UN sucks balls, they do nothing worth while....Just nonbinding resolutions, and the only reason America is in the organization is because our European friends want us to make friends with everyone else.

powerslave_85
02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
I am not saying that I want to go to Africa and help the little Africans, I was pointing out that we are flogged by the World Community for intervening with some nations, and flogged for NOT intervening with others. What do we do? Play world police for all? Say 'screw you' to everyone? Or pick and choose who we help?
That's because our style of intervention tends to look a lot like invasion and occupation.

The nations we intervene in are ones in which we have a vested national or business. Places like Darfur and Rwanda weren't priorities because there isn't anything in it for us. If there were ever a place where we should send in a shitload of Marines to just go in and kick ass, it's Darfur. It's a humanitarian crisis on a scale that most don't even comprehend, and yet we sit on our hands.