PDA

View Full Version : Mastodon -- Columbus, OH -- February 8th, 2007

DethMaiden
02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Last night I saw Mastodon for the second time in five months, with Priestess and Converge as support. I'd say that this experience was better than the first time I saw them, for a few reasons.

First of all, Priestess were great, whereas The Bronx were terrible back in September. I may pick up the Priestess debut, and it would be morally wrong of me not to because I told their singer I would. :eyes: I don't have the setlist, but they had a great set save for the boring drum solo that ripped off John Bonham six ways to Sunday.

Converge still sucked. Not much to say there.

Mastodon were even better than the first time I saw them; everything really clicked. Opener "This Mortal Soil" set the pacing for the show quite poorly as I expected, but it came together before long and the whole place was going nuts and shouting along. Highlights of their set for me were "Mother Puncher", which has perhaps become my favorite Mastodon song other than "Hearts Alive" (which was also great) and "Blood and Thunder" for the incredible shoutalong. The guys played the first minute or so of "Hearts Alive" but Brent's guitar went out and he got mad and threw it off stage. Then Bill came over and audibly told him, "Dude, that was my guitar." :lol: I nabbed a set from a roadie, though I believe it's the same as the ones we have:

1. This Mortal Soil
2. The Wolf Is Loose
3. Crystal Skull
4. Capillarian Crest
5. I Am Ahab
6. Sleeping Giant
7. Circle of Cysquatch
8. Iron Tusk
9. March of the Fire Ants
10. Where Strides the Behemoth
11. Mother Puncher
12. Aqua Dementia
13. Bladecatcher
14. Colony of Birchmen
15. Megalodon
16. Blood and Thunder
------------
17. Hearts Alive

The best part of the night, however, was after the show. While waiting at the merch table, the singer/guitarist from Priestess pointed out the Genesis patch on my jacket, and we bantered about Genesis for a few minutes, then Brann Fucking Dailor came out and saw it. The three of us talked Genesis for a couple of minutes, which absolutely made my night, because I had already known that Brann held The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in as high of regard as myself, if not higher, considering it his all-time favorite album. We proceeded to make Genesis in-jokes that any passerby would have shaken their head at. How fun.

Then, as Brann and myself were leaving the venue, a bootleg t-shirt salesman picked us off, and, not recognizing Brann, tried to sell him a bootleg Mastodon shirt. And he fucking bought one. :lol:

What a night.

Spiral_Slave
02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Sounds fucking awesome man. That's really awesome you got to chat with Brann. :horns:

JRA
02-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Then, as Brann and myself were leaving the venue, a bootleg t-shirt salesman picked us off, and, not recognizing Brann, tried to sell him a bootleg Mastodon shirt. And he fucking bought one. :lol:

:eyes: He must have a fucked up sense of humor.

ADD
02-09-2007, 02:53 PM
That is fucking sick!!!!!!! :lol: Damn I'd love to meet Brann Dailor.

And Converge eats Priestess and their children, their extended families, and their aquaintances for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack :hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2007, 04:11 PM
It was a good night for me too....

As I was walking in, I passed Brent on his phone...and as we were waiting for Converge to come on, we yelled at Brann and he waved to us :tp: When Mastodon went on, this kid (he looked like Addi, and about the same age, actually) ran up and proceeded to shove me off the rail, just to let another punk and his girl get up close. I had no problem with that, but then the jackasshole began to do the standing "worm" and whipped his body into me repeatedly, forcing me farther back. THEN he kicked me in the leg numerous times, never once looking back at me to apologize. He then left and let another kid take his spot, and that was cool. Then he forced his way BACK up to the front, hitting every person he passed....Punks like that make me sick....

.I enjoyed Mastodon more because I was more familar with their stuff, Priestess WERE better than The Bronx, and...Converge are officially the worst band I have ever seen live...their fans are such punks, their singer is awful and his stage persona is nothing short of retarded. The guitarist was okay, as was the drummer, but as a whole the band was terrible.

I saw a man peeing in a sink.

I stood next to Brad as he joked with Brann and the Priestess guy. And contrary to what Brad said, he and Brann werent walking out 'together' per se. Our clan was leaving, and Brann just happened to be walking outside too. :D Sorry to de-romanticize it for ya.

es156
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
And Converge eats Priestess and their children, their extended families, and their aquaintances for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack :hecho:

Maybe if you are tone deaf.

:lol:

DethMaiden
02-09-2007, 06:55 PM
I stood next to Brad as he joked with Brann and the Priestess guy. And contrary to what Brad said, he and Brann werent walking out 'together' per se. Our clan was leaving, and Brann just happened to be walking outside too. :D Sorry to de-romanticize it for ya.

I was in the process of shaking his hand when the bum approached us :D

powerslave_85
02-09-2007, 06:58 PM

Amazing.

This man speaks the truth.

DethMaiden
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe if you are tone deaf.

:fist: Man, they were bad. I don't get it.

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2007, 07:46 PM
:fist: Man, they were bad. I don't get it.

They have no words in their songs...and no structure...

powerslave_85
02-09-2007, 08:03 PM
They have no words in their songs...and no structure...
:hecho:

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2007, 08:14 PM

the singer sang chugga-chugga...the only line I understood was "US versus Them"

powerslave_85
02-09-2007, 08:16 PM
the singer sang chugga-chugga...the only line I understood was "US versus Them"
They have amazing lyrics. And saying the songs have "no structure"...:wtf: That doesn't even make sense.

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2007, 09:02 PM
They have amazing lyrics. And saying the songs have "no structure"...:wtf: That doesn't even make sense.

okay....they had structure....but it was horrible, and every song sounded the same...

The lyrics may have been good...but I couldnt hear them.

ADD
02-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I understand that not everyone likes Converge. Better for those of us who do, because they can't be ruined by posers and fuckin losers.

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I understand that not everyone likes Converge. Better for those of us who do, because they can't be ruined by posers and fuckin losers.

most of the fans I saw there were angry teenagers that thought they were the toughest kids around....all pompous jackasses, if you ask me.....

Hey Addi, you're a Converge fan, right?

ADD
02-09-2007, 09:10 PM
most of the fans I saw there were angry teenagers that thought they were the toughest kids around....all pompous jackasses, if you ask me.....

Hey Addi, you're a Converge fan, right?
Maybe they were tough, which is why you didn't do anything except make a mental note of it to post on Metalsetlists when that one kid who supposedly looked like me was being a dick to you. Just a thought.

es156
02-09-2007, 09:16 PM

So everyone who doesn't like Converge is a poser and a loser?

:tp:

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe they were tough, which is why you didn't do anything except make a mental note of it to post on Metalsetlists when that one kid who supposedly looked like me was being a dick to you. Just a thought.

OHHHH......You callin me out....?

HALLELUJAH AND HALLA BACK!! STEP OFF!!!

ADD
02-09-2007, 09:21 PM

No, I'm just saying the less people who like them, the less posers there are to like them. There's living proof of people on this board who like good bands but are posers :eyes:

Plus it's always more special when you like a band not many other people do for some reason.

ADD
02-09-2007, 09:22 PM
OHHHH......You callin me out....?

HALLELUJAH AND HALLA BACK!! STEP OFF!!!
:eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2007, 09:51 PM
:eyes:

TEH WITE RAPPER SHO.....FOOL!!

powerslave_85
02-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Yes.

es156
02-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes.

Thus proclaims the milkshake man.

powerslave_85
02-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Thus proclaims the milkshake man.

"I WILL DESTROY THIS HOUSE WITH MY ANGER!"

es156
02-09-2007, 10:39 PM
"I WILL DESTROY THIS HOUSE WITH MY ANGER!"

DethMaiden
02-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Perhaps Converge are great for a certain audience, but I'd like to think that isn't the same audience that thinks Mastodon are great for the most part. Maybe they should have played a DEP or Cephalic Carnage tour, because I'd much rather hear two bands like Priestess open for Mastodon.

:2cents:

overkiller
02-10-2007, 07:41 AM
This tour is made of fail and AIDS, the end.

JRA
02-10-2007, 07:56 AM
This tour is made of fail and AIDS, the end.

powerslave_85
02-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Perhaps Converge are great for a certain audience, but I'd like to think that isn't the same audience that thinks Mastodon are great for the most part. Maybe they should have played a DEP or Cephalic Carnage tour, because I'd much rather hear two bands like Priestess open for Mastodon.

:2cents:
IMO, it's boring to have a tour where all the bands are the same. It's in the interest of bands like Converge to expose their music to people who may not have heard them before.

DethMaiden
02-10-2007, 12:25 PM
IMO, it's boring to have a tour where all the bands are the same. It's in the interest of bands like Converge to expose their music to people who may not have heard them before.

Fair enough, fair enough.

Div
02-10-2007, 12:32 PM
IMO, it's boring to have a tour where all the bands are the same.

I'd agree with that, but I'm sure we all remember what happened when Iron Maiden tried this last tour :eyes:

JRA
02-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I'd agree with that, but I'm sure we all remember what happened when Iron Maiden tried this last tour :eyes:

I can't remember who opened for Maiden last tour, if that's what your referring to.

DethMaiden
02-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I can't remember who opened for Maiden last tour, if that's what your referring to.

Bullet for My Valentine :barf:

And Trivium in Europe :barf: :barf:

JRA
02-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Bullet for My Valentine :barf:

And Trivium in Europe :barf: :barf:

Well, I guess I meant if there were two in row.

ChildrenofSodom
02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Converge is going to be on Headbangers Ball.......Irony has dealt the cruelest hand.....the most die-hard anti-HBB people on here are Converge fans....:lol: :lol: :lol:

powerslave_85
02-13-2007, 07:49 PM
I think a lot of you are forgetting (or are unaware of) the fact that Converge has been a pretty well known and established band for quite some time.

ADD
02-13-2007, 08:00 PM
I think a lot of you are forgetting (or are unaware of) the fact that Converge has been a pretty well known and established band for quite some time.

These ignorants probably think they are some new trend or something :rolleyes:

Kids, go listen to their split with Agoraphobic Nosebleed, and then go cry that the heaviest band you listen to now sounds like Disney music.

powerslave_85
02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Kids, go listen to their split with Agoraphobic Nosebleed, and then go cry that the heaviest band you listen to now sounds like Disney music.:lol:, so true.

ChildrenofSodom
02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
These ignorants probably think they are some new trend or something :rolleyes:

Kids, go listen to their split with Agoraphobic Nosebleed, and then go cry that the heaviest band you listen to now sounds like Disney music.

it isnt ignorance. We are allowed to hate bands too, ya know.

on that note....Take My Hand.....and on my command....You will fear no evil again.

ADD
02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
it isnt ignorance. We are allowed to hate bands too, ya know.

It's ignorant that you are not aware that Converge are a veteran band with an extensive back catalog.

ChildrenofSodom
02-13-2007, 09:21 PM
It's ignorant that you are not aware that Converge are a veteran band with an extensive back catalog.

if I hated a band BOTH times I saw them, what makes you think I would go out and buy one of their CDs?

ADD
02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
if I hated a band BOTH times I saw them, what makes you think I would go out and buy one of their CDs?
Nothing, just have some awareness not to lump in them in with some kind of fad or trend.

ChildrenofSodom
02-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Nothing, just have some awareness not to lump in them in with some kind of fad or trend.

oh..I wasnt doing that..I know they arent trendy....but they are appearing on a show that you have ripped on for being only for 'trendy posers'

ADD
02-13-2007, 09:32 PM
oh..I wasnt doing that..I know they arent trendy....but they are appearing on a show that you have ripped on for being only for 'trendy posers'
Well most bands we all listen to sumbit to some form of hypocrisy or artistic compromise of some sort. It's part of the buisness. Not defending Converge for choosing to go on the show, but they have families to feed like everybody else, and the bottom line is they have not sacrificed musically one bit.

powerslave_85
02-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Well most bands we all listen to sumbit to some form of hypocrisy or artistic compromise of some sort. It's part of the buisness. Not defending Converge for choosing to go on the show, but they have families to feed like everybody else, and the bottom line is they have not sacrificed musically one bit.
Exactly. If anything, they've gotten MORE brutal.

ChildrenofSodom
02-13-2007, 09:34 PM

fair enough

ADD
02-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Exactly. If anything, they've gotten MORE brutal.
Yes and no. I mean, the first 6 songs on 'No Heroes' are absolutely blood thristy fucking straight-for-the-jugular insanely fantastically brutal, but then you get songs like "Grim Heart / Black Rose" and "Trophy Scars". Personally I think the balance they've found right now is just right.

powerslave_85
02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Yes and no. I mean, the first 6 songs on 'No Heroes' are absolutely blood thristy fucking straight-for-the-jugular insanely fantastically brutal, but then you get songs like "Grim Heart / Black Rose" and "Trophy Scars". Personally I think the balance they've found right now is just right.
Well, what I meant was that their heavier songs have gotten heavier. They've almost always had some slower songs on each record.

ADD
02-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, what I meant was that their heavier songs have gotten heavier. They've almost always had some slower songs on each record.
This is true :horns:

But what I love is how it's heavy, yeah, but not like in annoying way, like sometimes I'll listen to a band and its so fast and heavy and dizzying that I just say "WTF". With Converge its actually enjoyable, because they're such damn good songwriters.

ChildrenofSodom
02-13-2007, 09:46 PM
This is true :horns:

But what I love is how it's heavy, yeah, but not like in annoying way, like sometimes I'll listen to a band and its so fast and heavy and dizzying that I just say "WTF". With Converge its actually enjoyable, because they're such damn good songwriters.

LET THEM BURN, FUCK THEM ALL, KILL THEM ALL, LET THEM BURN, LET THEM BURN

girnny777
02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Do you remember how much Mastodon shirts were? I'm seeing them tonight in New Haven and I want to know how much cash to bring.

Spiral_Slave
02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Do you remember how much Mastodon shirts were? I'm seeing them tonight in New Haven and I want to know how much cash to bring.

As far as I can remember, t-shirts were $15.00, hoodies were $25.00.

girnny777
02-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Only $15? Nice.

DethMaiden
02-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Your avatar is :shred:

ChildrenofSodom
02-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Your avatar is :shred:

I was about to say something like that...:shred:

SomewhereInTime72
02-16-2007, 07:22 PM
His user title is even better. :fist:

girnny777
02-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Saw them last night, the played the same set.

It was awesome, before they went on I met Brent and Brann and they signed my Lifesblood vinyl!

DethMaiden
02-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Saw them last night, the played the same set.

It was awesome, before they went on I met Brent and Brann and they signed my Lifesblood vinyl!

They're all really down to earth guys, it's cool :fist:

ChildrenofSodom
02-19-2007, 05:47 PM
They played the video for "No Heroes" on Headbangers Ball, and I still couldnt understand the vocals...though the music sounded better than it did live.