PDA

View Full Version : The Now Reading Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

DethMaiden
06-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Dude, he lived right by me I've seen him around town multiple times.

Weird. I wonder if it was related to the airplane crash, because that will be lawsuit central.

ChildrenofSodom
06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Book 4 of the Summer---

The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman [Spoiler Alert = all the pages are blank]

DethMaiden
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Book 4 of the Summer---

The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman [Spoiler Alert = all the pages are blank]

:dorky:

I'm reading Alan Greenspan's memoirs collected as The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World. We don't see eye to eye on everything economically but he is an absolute genius, and his pre-current financial crisis planning makes total sense given the econometrics of his thinking. He never wanted to make economics political; he was obsessed with math and wanted everything to work out according to intensely correlated mathematical models. You can't blame a guy going with fact and logic: it's the commercial banks and the gullible people who put us where we are and I have a newfound respect for the sovereignty of the Fed.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Tomorrow, I'm going to start on Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground. I'm a big fan of some of his other work, and this one's supposed to be great so I'm pretty excited to open it up as soon as I'm awake enough to read a book without passing out. :D

Div
01-19-2010, 11:32 AM
The Killing Joke - Alan Moore

powerslave_85
01-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I need to get my hands on that.

I'm reading a history of The Simpsons right now. Very interesting, especially the parts about all the in-fighting that took place when the show got started.

ravenheart
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King

DethMaiden
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM

:rocker: So good.

SomewhereInTime72
01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Reading about 400 things at once.

Was reading Cujo, but I sorta-paused because I took Cormac McCarthy's The Road out of the library. It was supposed to be good. I don't like it very much, and am sort of rushing through it, because I don't like to not finish books. Problem with that is that it is now taking a whiiiiile to read.

I've also been browsing through "Stuff White People Like" and Stephen Colbert's book, when I'm in the mood to laugh. ;)

When I'm at my computer just chilling/listening to music I've been reading through Eden: It's and Endless World! which is pretty damn cool so far.

DethMaiden
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
My assigned reading this semester is out-of-control, but in my little free time I've just been knocking out comics and graphic novels. I've made it through All-Star Superman Vol. 1, Ex Machina Vol. 8, Jonah Hex: Face Full of Violence, and Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Deluxe Edition, some of that stuff for the second or third time. Now I'm getting ready to re-read The Ultimates (and read The Ultimates 2 and the special annuals and whatnot included in the omnibus for the first time) and the original Wolverine miniseries by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller (who was way better when he just did art, fuck Sin City and 300) and Wolverine: Weapon X with the well-known by now origin story.

:rocker: :dorky:

ravenheart
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Was reading Cujo

That was the last King book I read before Hearts In Atlantis. Loved it.

powerslave_85
01-19-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm actually reading three books at the moment:
-Aforementioned Simpsons book
-John Hodgman's "More Information Than You Require" (very bizarre, but very funny)
-"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card (almost done with it)

ChildrenofSodom
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm reading Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? by Alan Moore and trying to keep up with my weekly subscription to The Economist

Last week I read Marvel Zombies, and the following are on my to-read list:
Creative Capitalism: A Conversation with Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Other Economic Leaders
Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin
The Ultimates omnibus
Maus I & II
As well as a score of other books I've bought in the past that I never got to.

Its tough finding time to read, considering my class work load includes reading two books about gun politics, a book, course packet, and countless articles on the sociology of religion, and various books in the King James Bible. Not mention I just bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, which isn't going to play its self.

SomewhereInTime72
01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
That was the last King book I read before Hearts In Atlantis. Loved it.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome so far. I'm only halfway through it, but the build-up to the story was pretty incredible. The characters were really fleshed out. King tends to do that with a lot of his books, which is something I really like about his writing, though many would say he just over-writes a lot. :D

ravenheart
01-19-2010, 02:34 PM
though many would say he just over-writes a lot. :D

These people have ADD ;)

SomewhereInTime72
01-19-2010, 02:53 PM
These people have ADD ;)

Indeed. :cool:

mankvill
02-15-2010, 12:14 PM
The Wheel Of Time books.

I finished the first one, The Eye Of The World, a couple of days ago. Have started on The Great Hunt a little bit ago. :horns:

Div
02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
thinking about buying a Nook. was in b&n's today and was testing it out. pretty cool device. price is a little steep tho.

mankvill
02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
thinking about buying a Nook. was in b&n's today and was testing it out. pretty cool device. price is a little steep tho.

dude

iPad dude

powerslave_85
02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Paper books 4 lyfe

Div
02-15-2010, 11:54 PM
eh, i really think e-readers are going to be a huge trend before the year's over. the problem is that theyre still a fairly new concept and the tech hasnt really leveled out yet. i dont want to spend $260 only to have a newer version come out in 5 months with enough features to make the old one look like a dinosaur. its gotten to the point where a "next generation" technology only takes about 6 months to come out of the pipeline.

ChildrenofSodom
02-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Paper books 4 lyfe

Last quarter, all of my readings for class were online. And this quarter, all of my readings are in paper books. I can say, definitively, that I will never stop reading paper books.

ChildrenofSodom
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
I was under the impression when I bought 9-11: Emergency Relief, that it was a book of comic artists' responses to 9/11, and that said artists were superhero comic artists. I was wrong. Its like, newspaper comic artists. No superheroes, no escapism...just comics of normal people reaction. Boring.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
"Once we stop looking outwards for realms where we can deposit everything we are afraid of, or everything we dream of, we are left with out always unsatisfactory, always hybrid societies, and with the possibilities not of transcending history, but of ordinary life and evolutionary change."

Wow. The beginning of moderation and tolerance...so inspiring.

ChildrenofSodom
02-24-2010, 12:43 PM
So, three years ago I bought Lost Scriptures: Books that Did Not Make It into thew New Testament by Bart D. Ehrman....and haven't read a single page since putting it on my shelf. Today, I convinced by English Bible professor to let me use it for my final paper. If only I could find other good excuses to read all the books I own but never get to.

SerpentineVIVIVI
03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Just read Animal Farm. What a fantastic read, so much symbolism and political satire. Can't believe it took me this long to read it.

ChildrenofSodom
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Currently reading What Makes a Terrorist: Economics and the Roots of Terrorism by Alan Krueger. I'm also finishing the last few essays in Creative Capitalism, shortly followed by Freakonomics and Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer.

TonyD
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Kind of late because I never post here, because I'm usually swamped with assigned reading.
Finished I Am Ozzy and Maltese Falcon (assigned) recently.

mankvill
03-16-2010, 09:41 PM
About to finish The Great Hunt, about to move on to whatever Book #3 is :3

Div
03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Kind of late because I never post here, because I'm usually swamped with assigned reading.
Finished I Am Ozzy and Maltese Falcon (assigned) recently.

i wanted to read maltese falcon, any good?

ADD
03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Been readin Lovecraft for the first time lately :cool:

DethMaiden
03-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Been readin Lovecraft for the first time lately :cool:

Way overrated but his influence on metal makes him worth a read. I like a few of his stories a lot, namely "The Music of Erich Zann" and "The Dunwich Horror."

SomewhereInTime72
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Not to mention Lovecraft is a pretty sick name, I bet you all wish you were named Lovecraft.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

TonyD
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
i wanted to read maltese falcon, any good?

Compared to the rest of what I have to read, BEST EVAR.
But yeah it was worth reading, pretty easy to get through.

idrinkwine732
03-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm finishing my Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway at the moment, but I decided to go for a bit of a challeng on my next book and go for Paradise Lost.

ChildrenofSodom
03-17-2010, 07:14 PM

I'm sorry.

Div
03-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry.

WHO IS JOHN GALT

DethMaiden
03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Atlas Shrugged for its flaws in prose (Rand wasn't an elegant writer) is a pretty fantastic tome for understanding her views. It's preachy, but it's meant to be. She didn't want her novels to be just nice stories; they were all ways for her to communicate Objectivism. So, agree or not, it does its job and I don't regret reading it (or any of the four Rand books I've read).

What am I reading? Comic books.

ChildrenofSodom
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
WHO IS JOHN GALT

GOOGLE RON PAUL!

Div
03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
GOOGLE RON PAUL!

i actually never read the book, but im interested in doing so just because of the character in bioshock :eyes:

Uncle_Meat1940
03-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged for its flaws in prose (Rand wasn't an elegant writer) is a pretty fantastic tome for understanding her views. It's preachy, but it's meant to be. She didn't want her novels to be just nice stories; they were all ways for her to communicate Objectivism. So, agree or not, it does its job and I don't regret reading it (or any of the four Rand books I've read).

Exactly man, the rule for reading any type of philosophy for me is to be a FILTER, not a sponge. haha

Uncle_Meat1940
03-17-2010, 09:57 PM
i actually never read the book, but im interested in doing so just because of the character in bioshock :eyes:

Ron Paul is a politician, one of the only ones I respect.

Div
03-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Ron Paul is a politician, one of the only ones I respect.

i was referring to atlas shrugged

Uncle_Meat1940
03-17-2010, 10:58 PM
AH, well silly me. hahahaha.

What link does it have to Bioshock? I played the first one but not the second (I don't play games anymore) so if it was in the first I totally missed it.

SomewhereInTime72
03-17-2010, 11:58 PM

We The Living is pretty notable for having barely anything to do with Objectivism and just being a fairly good story on it's own, IMO.

Div
03-18-2010, 12:17 AM
AH, well silly me. hahahaha.

What link does it have to Bioshock? I played the first one but not the second (I don't play games anymore) so if it was in the first I totally missed it.

andrew ryan was supposed to be an embodiment of objectivism. the speeches he gave throughout the game, the audio logs you found, etc.

mankvill
03-18-2010, 12:47 AM
andrew ryan was supposed to be an embodiment of objectivism. the speeches he gave throughout the game, the audio logs you found, etc.

NO SAYS THE MAN IN WASHINGTON, IT BELONGS TO THE GOVERNMENT

NO SAYS THE MAN IN MOSCOW, IT BELONGS TO EVERYBODY

NO SAYS IRON MAIDEN, IT BELONGS TO EVERYWHERE 'CEPT KANSAS

Would you kindly get Iron Maiden to tour here?

ADD
03-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Way overrated but his influence on metal makes him worth a read. I like a few of his stories a lot, namely "The Music of Erich Zann" and "The Dunwich Horror."
Erich Zahn is rad, personally I am a big fan of The Silver Key and obviously Cthulu, bout to start Dunwich, the E Wiz song of the same title kills so I'm certain the story delivers :bouville:

Div
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM

on another game-related event, in fallout 3 there's an abandoned office building in the lower right corner of the wasteland called the dunwich building. its filled with all sorts of ghouls and the further into building you explore the darker it gets, and you character starts to hallucinate. you also find audio logs of a guy who wandered in there and slowly went insane. at the end you find a cave with an obelisk in it and a stone woman reaching out from it and a whispering voice repeating "alhazred".

DethMaiden
03-18-2010, 10:55 AM
We The Living is pretty notable for having barely anything to do with Objectivism and just being a fairly good story on it's own, IMO.

Ah, I've only read Anthem, The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, and The Virtue of Selfishness. I actually like all of them and agree with them to varying degrees, but none of them seem to lack philosophical overtones.

on another game-related event, in fallout 3 there's an abandoned office building in the lower right corner of the wasteland called the dunwich building. its filled with all sorts of ghouls and the further into building you explore the darker it gets, and you character starts to hallucinate. you also find audio logs of a guy who wandered in there and slowly went insane. at the end you find a cave with an obelisk in it and a stone woman reaching out from it and a whispering voice repeating "alhazred".

Yet another reason I need to find the patience to play a game as long as Fallout 3.

Div
03-18-2010, 04:12 PM
has anyone read Neuromancer? cyberpunk is my fav sub-genre and i'd like to get into more books on that, heard this one was pretty good.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Thinking back on it now that makes a lot of sense. I played the game when it first came out which was long before I read the book, obviously since I'm currently reading it.

On a side note her book Anthem was a huge influence on Rush's 2112

DethMaiden
03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Thinking back on it now that makes a lot of sense. I played the game when it first came out which was long before I read the book, obviously since I'm currently reading it.

On a side note her book Anthem was a huge influence on Rush's 2112

Not to mention Rush's "Anthem." :eyes: :tongue:

Uncle_Meat1940
03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Indeed sir. I figured I would point out the less obvious one since I know some people think it's inspired by 1984. Silly people. haha

DethMaiden
03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Indeed sir. I figured I would point out the less obvious one since I know some people think it's inspired by 1984. Silly people. haha

Oh yeah, I heard the record right around the same time that I read the book and I was blown away by how directly electric guitar=lightbulb that I lol'd. Both the book and the song are fantastic though. :fist:

Fires Of Sedition
03-30-2010, 12:38 AM
The Real ACT Prep Guide

:cool:

ChildrenofSodom
03-30-2010, 06:10 AM
THE ULTIMATES OMNIBUS!

ChildrenofSodom
03-30-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm trying to read as much as possible before I have to start caring about spring classes. Luckily, my logic textbook is all online, my history professor just posts the necessary articles online for us, and the only reading for Econ is in the Wall Street Journal. I knocked out Freakonomics, Conscience of a Liberal, Creative Captalism, and What Makes a Terrorist during my spring break. Knocked out the first volume of Testament (terrible graphic novel) and the 900 page Marvel Omnibus these past two days.

Currently re-starting On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Sociey by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. After that, I plan on reading The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley & Danko, Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire by Chalmers Johnson, and Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.

I need a girlfriend or a job. Anything to keep me from reading so much...

idrinkwine732
03-30-2010, 07:13 PM
idrinkwine732 <3 Paradise Lost

DethMaiden
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
About ten books on one Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin. Projects :bouville:

But also Superman: Secret Identity and All-Star Superman Vol. 2 to break the monotony! :party:

ChildrenofSodom
03-30-2010, 07:44 PM
But also Superman: Secret Identity and All-Star Superman Vol. 2 to break the monotony! :party:

I'm going to need to borrow a bunch of comics and TPBs from you this summer.

DethMaiden
03-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm going to need to borrow a bunch of comics and TPBs from you this summer.

Secret Identity is borrowed itself so I can't loan that out but otherwise consider my longboxes your personal library.

Natrlhi
03-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Secret Identity is borrowed itself so I can't loan that out but otherwise consider my longboxes your personal library.

What?!? Oh, I thought you said "boxers". Never mind.

idrinkwine732
03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Pardise Lost is the largest motherfucker of a book/poem I have ever read in my life. It's brilliant but extremely tough to read.

ChildrenofSodom
04-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Pardise Lost is the largest motherfucker of a book/poem I have ever read in my life. It's brilliant but extremely tough to read.

"It is better to reign in hell, than to serve in heaven."

The most badass book I ever kinda/actually didn't read for a high school paper.

idrinkwine732
04-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I just read the same page 4 times to try and understand it and I barely get it. I wouldn't ever think I'd come across something tougher to read than the Bible, but this beats it by far.

makethemsuffer12
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
"It is better to reign in hell, than to serve in heaven."

The most badass book I ever kinda/actually didn't read for a high school paper.

Ahhh, so that's where Kreator got it from.

powerslave_85
04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I read the Kick-Ass comic the other night. It sucks. Every change they made for the movie was for the better.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm reading Y:The Last Man again for my history class mid-term.

The Green and Black
04-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm reading this forum. Does that count??? :lol:

Cynicist
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm reading these right now...but I wander a lot...

The Kalevala
The Prose Edda

DethMaiden
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Taking some time off with All-Star Superman Volume 2 before I dive back into Mozart bios for class. Needless to say...comic books are more fun than scholarly works about dead composers.

powerslave_85
06-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Against my better judgment, I watched Wanted the other night. It was such a horrible piece of shit; one of the worst movies I've ever seen. However, since I knew that Mark Millar had done the comic and it was nothing like the movie, I decided to give it a read. I was still less than impressed. There's a disgusting amount of racism and misogyny, and the overall tone led me to realize that I really don't like most of the things about Millar's work. I think I'm going to put together a blog post tonight about it: comparing it to Kick-Ass, and how the tone changes in the respective movies. If anyone's interesting in reading it, I'll post a link.

Derelict
06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Forgot about this thread

Culture Shock: Russia, hoping to get it done before I'm there on the 19th

ChildrenofSodom
06-08-2010, 01:44 PM
There's a disgusting amount of racism and misogyny, and the overall tone led me to realize that I really don't like most of the things about Millar's work.

The Ultimates, The Authority, and Civil War are all awesome. I don't have any interest in reading Kick-ass or Wanted, but his superhero comics are great.

DethMaiden
06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Against my better judgment, I watched Wanted the other night. It was such a horrible piece of shit; one of the worst movies I've ever seen. However, since I knew that Mark Millar had done the comic and it was nothing like the movie, I decided to give it a read. I was still less than impressed. There's a disgusting amount of racism and misogyny, and the overall tone led me to realize that I really don't like most of the things about Millar's work. I think I'm going to put together a blog post tonight about it: comparing it to Kick-Ass, and how the tone changes in the respective movies. If anyone's interesting in reading it, I'll post a link.

I'll take a look at it. Actually, I'm really, really interested to see it. But Millar (along with Garth Ennis) is unfairly criticized a lot in my opinion. They're both accused of writing comics for the lowest common denominator and having too many pages and panels that just make you say "Whoa, awesome!" And, well, yeah, they do...but I don't need every comic that I read to be philosophical. Everything they do that might be considered offensive is wildly tongue-in-cheek. Maybe my taste for metal has molded my taste in comics, but I don't have a single problem with Millar or Ennis.

And Geoff Johns gets the same criticism, but that's okay, because he sucks. :D

makethemsuffer12
06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I just finished reading Rudy Sarzo's Off The Rails the other day. Definately worth a look if you're an Ozzy/Randy Rhoads fan.

powerslave_85
06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Everything they do that might be considered offensive is wildly tongue-in-cheek. Hmm, I dunno. If I'd only read Kick-Ass, I might be inclined to agree. A foul-mouthed little girl brutally slaughtering people? Pretty tongue-in-cheek. But in Wanted, when the protaganist learns he can do whatever he wants without consequence, the first thing he does is rape and murder everyone who's ever pissed him off. That kind of points to more deep-seated issues. Anyways, I should stop now so I have something to write in my blog :D

DethMaiden
06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Hmm, I dunno. If I'd only read Kick-Ass, I might be inclined to agree. A foul-mouthed little girl brutally slaughtering people? Pretty tongue-in-cheek. But in Wanted, when the protaganist learns he can do whatever he wants without consequence, the first thing he does is rape and murder everyone who's ever pissed him off. That kind of points to more deep-seated issues. Anyways, I should stop now so I have something to write in my blog :D

You're definitely in the majority, so don't sweat my dissent. ;) In an average room full of comics geeks, if I revealed that Mark Millar was a top five writer for me, I'd be laughed at.

And confession: haven't read Wanted. Saw the godawful movie, decided I wouldn't read it. And since I don't really want to be pissed off at Mark Millar, I just won't. :lol:

powerslave_85
06-08-2010, 02:25 PM
The Ultimates, The Authority, and Civil War are all awesome. I don't have any interest in reading Kick-ass or Wanted, but his superhero comics are great.
I'll have to take your word for it. I've read very few comics, and I don't have the time or the motivation to dive into the massive histories/storylines of most comic book heroes.

Indestructible
06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Book I am currently reading:
End the Fed By Ron Paul.

Books I want:
The Revolution A Manifesto By Ron Paul
The Creature from Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin,Anthem by Ayn Rand.
Atlas Shrugged By Ayn Rand ,The Holographic Universe By Michael Talbot

Books I have but need to start reading again:
World Without Cancer By G.Edward Griffin,
1984 By George Orwell and American Conspiracies by Jesse Ventura
Your Past Lives By Michael Talbot,A Book of all Edgar Allen Poe Stories and Poems

larvtard
06-08-2010, 06:02 PM
End the Fed By Ron Paul.

Books I want:
The Creature from Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin,Anthem by Ayn Rand.
Atlas Shrugged By Ayn Rand ,The Holographic Universe By Michael Talbot

Books I have but need to start reading again:
World Without Cancer By G.Edward Griffin,
1984 By George Orwell and American Conspiracies by Jesse Ventura
Your Past Lives By Michael Talbot,A Book of all Edgar Allen Poe Stories and Poems

you actually want to read Anthem? I had to read it for school. It's so weird and hard to read

Indestructible
06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
you actually want to read Anthem? I had to read it for school. It's so weird and hard to read

Im wondering how the book is since it influnced Rush. My art teacher sophmore year told about two ayn rand books that influnenced Rush songs he said Anthem but I forgot the other book he said.

ChildrenofSodom
06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
End the Fed By Ron Paul.

Books I want:

You're trying to learn about the Fed by reading anti-Fed books? Why not read some objective books on the Fed, and then weigh the different opinions.

Indestructible
06-08-2010, 06:37 PM
You're trying to learn about the Fed by reading anti-Fed books? Why not read some objective books on the Fed, and then weigh the different opinions.

What are some objective books on the fed that you suggjest.

ChildrenofSodom
06-08-2010, 07:06 PM
What are some objective books on the fed that you suggjest.

Any of them. The Wikipedia page is a good start. The Fourth Branch by Shull gives a good history of the institution.

powerslave_85
06-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Here's the blog, Brad (and anyone else who's interested): http://nhornung85.blogspot.com/2010/06/wanted-kick-ass-and-mark-millar.html

InPatient5100
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
thanks for the link bro

DethMaiden
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Here's the blog, Brad (and anyone else who's interested): http://nhornung85.blogspot.com/2010/06/wanted-kick-ass-and-mark-millar.html

Well...I've read a lot of that stuff about Mark Millar before, and I don't even totally disagree with you. I'm just not that bothered by it (again, speaking only about Kick-Ass here, haven't read Wanted, don't want to). To be fair, the honest-to-God antagonists in the book (the Mafia) are white. I really don't find it racist that black guys were drug dealers (disporportionately in real life, they are) or that the gang-bangers were Puerto Rican (lots of poor gang members in NYC are Hispanic). He may have been using stereotypes, but he wasn't being inaccurate either, and I like to think I'm a fairly racially progressive dude.

Besides, I've come to believe that biggest crime is Civil War because it's a generic event comic that exists primarily so there can be cool spreads of superheroes fighting each other and the plot (and disappointing conclusion) are paper-fucking-thin. But he's admitted as much in interviews.

InPatient5100
06-09-2010, 04:11 AM
I agree completely

Sinfulsot
06-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Frankenstein on my new(ish) Kindle.

ChildrenofSodom
06-24-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm reading The Mind of the Market: How Biology and Psychology Shape Our Economic Lives by Michael Shermer. A good pop introductory piece to evolutionary/behavioral economics. Very interesting.

I'm also reading Elementary Statistics to refresh my memory of my Stats class two years ago, so that I can dive into Basic Econometrics and Introductory Econometrics. I'm trying to learn a little about the subject so I won't fail my class in the fall.

DethMaiden
06-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Reading For Whom the Bell Tolls. Then gonna move onto Death in the Afternoon and A Moveable Feast. Might reread The Sun Also Rises for the third time. Summer is the Hemingway season. :fist:

idrinkwine732
06-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Reading For Whom the Bell Tolls. Then gonna move onto Death in the Afternoon and A Moveable Feast. Might reread The Sun Also Rises for the third time. Summer is the Hemingway season. :fist:

I love Hemingway, his short stories are genius

SomewhereInTime72
06-24-2010, 10:45 PM

FWTBT is really good.

the song cant even compare

Indestructible
06-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Good to be king by Michale Badnarik

Indestructible
06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Reading For Whom the Bell Tolls

I did not know that was a book

DethMaiden
06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
I love Hemingway, his short stories are genius

:fist: Hell yes they are. Between him and Faulkner, you can pretty much trace back the entire modern American canon.

FWTBT is really good.

the song cant even compare

:lol: I shockingly haven't listened to it since I started reading. I didn't know I was so un-impressionable. ;)

I did not know that was a book

LOL

ChildrenofSodom
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I gave up on Michael Shermer about 2/3 through Mind of the Market. He wasn't talking about economics anymore, just biology, psychology, and social primates.

I'm now reading Eat the Rich: A Treatise on Economics by P.J. O'Rourke. He's supposed to be the libertarian equivalent of Jon Stewart...We'll see how it goes.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
http://news.discovery.com/animals/giant-whale-fossil.html

Holy shit!

Wizzbang11
06-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Anthem by Ayn Rand.
Atlas Shrugged By Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand is annoying.

I'm reading The Leviathan (not by choice).
It's difficult.

Div
06-30-2010, 11:27 PM
i want to go buy a new book but i cant decide what to get...

and by that i mean to get something with practical knowledge to apply to my life or if id rather get a fiction novel or something. i dont have enough cash or time right now for both.

The_jman
07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
i want to go buy a new book but i cant decide what to get...

and by that i mean to get something with practical knowledge to apply to my life or if id rather get a fiction novel or something. i dont have enough cash or time right now for both.
fiction is always better, lol. c'mon, rot your brain with the rest of us fiction readers.

Fires Of Sedition
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
The Innocent Man by John Grisham

larvtard
07-03-2010, 07:47 AM
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay- Michael Chabon

His 2-page descriptions/ramblings are pretty boring, but otherwise this is a great book so far.

Indestructible
07-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I just Ordered The Creature From Jekyll Island A second look at the Federal Reserve By G.Edward Griffin and The monuments of mars a City on the edge of forever by richard c hoagland.

Wizzbang11
07-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I just Ordered The Creature From Jekyll Island A second look at the Federal Reserve By G.Edward Griffin and The monuments of mars a City on the edge of forever by richard c hoagland.

"You're trying to learn about the Fed by reading anti-Fed books? Why not read some objective books on the Fed, and then weigh the different opinions."
That was some good advice dude...

ChildrenofSodom
07-04-2010, 11:01 PM
"You're trying to learn about the Fed by reading anti-Fed books? Why not read some objective books on the Fed, and then weigh the different opinions."
That was some good advice dude...

THANK YOU!!

:tp:

Fires Of Sedition
07-05-2010, 09:12 AM
The Partner by John Grisham

SomewhereInTime72
07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai.

ChildrenofSodom
07-08-2010, 11:13 PM
P.J. O Rourke = not funny and not knowledgeable on the subject of economics.

I'm now reading The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar by H.W. Brands. This guy has written a lot of books, and claims to be a historian, but his writing so far (in the first 40 pages on Alexander Hamilton) is atrocious. Bland, lacks depth, and written for second graders. Unfortunately, I can't find any other books about the Bank of the United States and monetary policy that aren't written by a Paultard.

ChildrenofSodom
07-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I just finished Green Lantern: Rebirth by Geoff Johns. It was awesome, jumpstarts the character and explains the mythos of the rings. My boss also lent me two Supreme Power TPBs and Batman: Year One. I just bought some Captain America, JLA, and some non-mainstream comics to keep me busy this summer and into the school year.

Indestructible
07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I just got the creature from jeckyll Island.

Good to be King by Michale Badnarik is good to. If you want to learn about the founding of our country and the history of the u.s this is a good book to read. Simple and easy to follow.

rjturtle9
07-22-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/education/ci_15570789

He was one of my favorite teachers in high school. He is in my opinion the best teacher at that damn school and it just sucks to see this happen.

idrinkwine732
07-22-2010, 05:36 PM
P.J. O Rourke = not funny and not knowledgeable on the subject of economics.

He's funny on NPR's Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! though.

maidenpriest
07-22-2010, 05:41 PM
been reading the Wheel of Time series, its pretty awesome. on The Shadow Rising atm, the 4th one

ChildrenofSodom
07-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm reading Volume 8 through issue #49 of Ex Machina in preparation for issue 50 on Wednesday. After that, I'm reading Green Lantern: No Fear, some Captain America (Winter Soldier through Civil War), Superman: Speeding Bullets, JLA: The Nail, Hyperion Vol. 3, and then I'll probably get back into some "real" books. I've got The Money Men by HW Brand, an Alexander Hamilton biography, The New Federalist Papers, some economist biographies, and Peddling Prosperity by Paul Krugman. Doubt I'll get to all of those by the time I leave for school.

powerslave_85
07-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Re-read World War Z (well, listened to the audiobook and then read the parts that were left out) and I picked up I Know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha Bee. She's one of my favorite Daily Show correspondents, and her book is just as hilarious.

DethMaiden
07-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Last chapter of For Whom the Bell Tolls tonight, then gonna plow through all the comics I currently have borrowed (Green Lantern/Green Arrow Vols. 1 and 2, World's Finest Vols. 1-3, Marvel Visionaries Steranko, Preacher Vol. 1) so I can wash my hands of them...I hate having a bunch of borrowed books sitting around.

Then tomorrow is Ex Machina #50. This is definitely the most excited I've ever been about any comic on its release date. Can't wait to see how Vaughan ties it up. If he does it well, it could be my favorite all time comic. We'll see. Then I'll plunge back into Hemingway with Death in the Afternoon.

DethMaiden
08-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Everyone needs to read the cover story on Maiden in the newest issue of Decibel. I've read a lof of shit on Maiden, but this is the best piece I've read. The writer Adrien Begrand really gets at the heart of what makes Maiden so great, and I think a lot of us on here are going to feel like he's describing us when he talks about how Maiden are a gateway to metal and its epitome, etc. Here's a great quote from it that sums up my feelings pretty well:

"It's nice to see Judas Priest, Motörhead and even Ozzy Osbourne churn out new music, but what separates Iron Maiden from any other metal band from the '80s is that their new music still matters. A quarter-century removed from their mid-'80s heyday and they still have the clout and the fan base to go on tour, play a new record in its entirety - as they did in 2007 - and draw huge crowds."

Yep.

Fires Of Sedition
08-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Lord Of The Rings

ChildrenofSodom
08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Peddling Prosperity: Economic Sense and Nonsense in the Age of Diminished Expectations by Paul Krugman

My last pleasure read before I go back to school, where it will be all econometrics, Spanish, and persuasive communication. At least I'll have something to do between the working out, eating, and masturbation.

Indestructible
08-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Im reading about how ben bernake(federal reserve chairman) is evil.

Wizzbang11
08-30-2010, 07:29 PM

Is the quote necessary in both your signature and slogan or whatever that thing under your username is?

DethMaiden
08-30-2010, 07:32 PM

My mom teaches first grade and she puts sentences with grammatical and spelling errors on the board every morning for her class to correct and turn in. I think she should hire you to write them.

Also, I know it's a lot to ask since apparently first grade material is hard enough for you to master, but please try to read something that disagrees with your narrow, ignorant worldview. Like an economics book, for example. Good luck finding a textbook that calls Fed chairmen "evil."

ChildrenofSodom
08-30-2010, 07:35 PM

I'm curious - What book is that? And what is its main contention?

ChildrenofSodom
09-07-2010, 07:23 PM
The Outsider by H.P. Lovecraft

I'm thinking about buying Faust by Goethe and Heart of Darkness on Conrad. A little fiction for pleasure at school.

DethMaiden
09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
The Outsider by H.P. Lovecraft

I'm thinking about buying Faust by Goethe and Heart of Darkness on Conrad. A little fiction for pleasure at school.

Lovecraft is the shit. :fist: If you like The Outsider, check out The Music of Erich Zann (another short one, my personal favorite), The Dunwich Horror, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and At the Mountains of Madness.

mankvill
09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Guillermo Del Toro is directing a movie adaptation of At The Mountains Of Madness.

DethMaiden
09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Guillermo Del Toro is directing a movie adaptation of At The Mountains Of Madness.

Yeah, maybe. :lol: He's got about 10 projects lined up, who knows what's gonna happen or how soon. Would be cool though.

Derelict
09-07-2010, 07:38 PM
A History of Modern Russia: Third Edition

Yeah, I read this shit for fun....

ChildrenofSodom
09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Lovecraft is the shit. :fist: If you like The Outsider, check out The Music of Erich Zann (another short one, my personal favorite), The Dunwich Horror, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and At the Mountains of Madness.

Music of Erich Zann and At the Mountains of Madness are in the short story book I have by Lovecraft.

EDIT - Erich Zann and the Outsider were awesome. I'm going to start At the Mountains of Madness.

JuuKun
09-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking about buying Faust by Goethe.

Do it. It's fantastic.

I'm reading Othello by Shakespeare right now, but I think we start reading The Odyssey in my Literature class on Friday, so gonna finish it up during the week so I'm not juggling books.

The_jman
09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Rereading A feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin, wish he would hurry up and finish A Dance with Dragons already.

The_jman
09-10-2010, 04:44 PM
A storm of Swords
by George R.R. Martin (rereading the series backwards I guess)

SomewhereInTime72
09-11-2010, 02:21 PM
The Possessed by Dostoevsky.

ChildrenofSodom
10-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I finished Krugman's Peddling Prosperity. It was very, very good.

I recently started The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko. Very interesting piece with some startling revealations about the rich, backed with data and surveys. I'm only 30 pages in, but I'm sure its going to be enlightening. First book review for my blog.

zgodt
10-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.

larvtard
10-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Do it. It's fantastic.

I'm reading Othello by Shakespeare right now, but I think we start reading The Odyssey in my Literature class on Friday, so gonna finish it up during the week so I'm not juggling books.

I just read Othello as well in my Lit class. Pretty sweet play.

illuminatus917
10-13-2010, 06:12 PM
The greatest Lovecraft has to be The Shadow Out of Time.

Heart of Darkness is an excellent read. So is Gulliver's Travels.
Hell, I'd recommend Beowulf, Canterbury Tales (any Chaucer is great), Paradise Lost is fantastic (any Milton is great as well), but still, Gulliver's Travels has to be my all time favorite old school British lit read.

I haven't read The Possessed by Dostoevsky. Notes From the Underground and Crime and Punishment are both excellent though.

idrinkwine732
10-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Paradise Lost is fantastic.

I like to think I read a bit more than the average person, but this book may be too much for me. I own it, have tried to start it, but it's just too dense. Heart of Darkness was a bit of a tackle for me, and the Bible was sort of no-problem, but that is just a tough book to read.

illuminatus917
10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Na man, you can do it. I think it's easier in a class setting though. I read it in my Senior Honors English class and we had great discussions and the teacher helped bring it alive. I think the teacher and the class can enhance reading this sort of material. Though different, I doubt I would have gotten through A Separate Peace by Knowles if it hadn't been through school. It ended up being one of my favorite books of all time.

Philosophy, sci-fi, horror... is different. I can go through these with ease. Never read the Bible all the way through... I read the first eight or so books of the old Testament and just quit.

maidenpriest
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Read both Heart of Darkness and Paradise Lost during school and it was much easier to read in class then on your own. Our teacher gave really good descriptions and explanations of things, made it a hell of a lot easier. King Lear is probably my favorite British Lit story though.

Still reading the Wheel of Time...>.< on book 7 now though.

illuminatus917
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I'll say, one of the things that got me through Paradise Lost was Satan's character. Milton portrays Satan as a figure the audience sympathizes with and feels empathy for, contrary to his personifications in most texts where he's he's objectified, demeaned, and regarded as a purely evil figure. I think this is how Milton sets up Satan to be, ultimately, the bryonic hero of this poem.

illuminatus917
10-13-2010, 07:11 PM
When we read King Lear my teacher printed out the lyrics to King Nothing and gave a copy to each student in the class.

ChildrenofSodom
10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I just made a list of the books on my shelf (at college, I have more at home). Holy shitballs, I have 22 books I want to read. When will I find the time?

ravenheart
10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I have a ridiculous number of books to read. I just finished 'The Bricklayer' by Noah Boyd. Next is 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' by Stephen King.

DethMaiden
10-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Next is 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' by Stephen King.

I loved this, and I'm not usually a big King fan. Enjoy.

JuuKun
10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Heart of Darkness is an excellent read. So is Gulliver's Travels.
Hell, I'd recommend Beowulf, Canterbury Tales (any Chaucer is great), Paradise Lost is fantastic (any Milton is great as well), but still, Gulliver's Travels has to be my all time favorite old school British lit read.

Mine would probably be Paradise Lost or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

I think the Brits do the best children's lit in the world. Both Alice books, Winnie-the-Pooh, the Jungle Books, Chronicles of Narnia...they're all fantastic. I've got a soft spot for good children stuff.

I've got quite a few books left on my shelf that I haven't read yet, and a list of books I want to read after those that's about 9 pages long. Currently reading Ovid's Metamorphoses, which I'm really enjoying. I might finally go back and tackle Les Miserables after that. I liked Hunchback, but the first time I tried reading Les Miz, 1500 pages of Hugo telling the backstories of insignificant footnote characters seemed like way too much at the time and I quit about 200 pages in.

idrinkwine732
10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
I still have Corduroy and flip through it every now and then. That book fucking ruled :fist:

illuminatus917
10-13-2010, 08:25 PM
When I was a kid I used to love reading Ray Bradbury short stories.

All Summer In A Day is still one of the saddest, most heartbreaking, and most haunting stories I've ever read.

DethMaiden
11-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin for a class. Trying, anyway. Dear God, could it be any worse? If you just want to make points about a social issue and you're not a novelist, DON'T WRITE A FUCKING NOVEL! JUST WRITE A NONFICTION BOOK! I'm not bothered by the message one bit; I'm bothered by the evils being done to the English language on every page. I don't honestly know if I can read this book all the way through. 400+ pages and I've hated all 50 I've read so far.

ravenheart
11-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Think of A Number by John Verdon.

Indestructible
11-12-2010, 12:00 PM
The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

jd091
11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
"A Storm of Swords", book 3 of the Song of Ice and Fire series by Geroge R.R. Martin.

Holy testicles these books are AWESOME

hailthecrisis
11-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Not sure how I feel about it.. it tends to drag sometimes. Though I'm only about half way through, so I shouldn't judge it too much.

The_jman
11-14-2010, 07:55 AM
"A Storm of Swords", book 3 of the Song of Ice and Fire series by Geroge R.R. Martin.

Holy testicles these books are AWESOME
This.

Div
11-14-2010, 02:27 PM
This.

What's so awesome about them? Sounds like just typical D&D fantasy stuff

jd091
11-14-2010, 08:21 PM
What's so awesome about them? Sounds like just typical D&D fantasy stuff

It's so far from typical fantasy. A Song of Ice and Fire is set in a very medieval-like world, where things like magic and dragons are long extinct and nearly forgotten, seasons last for years instead of months, and everything is full of corruption. There isn't really good or bad characters, just lots of shades of gray. Theres tons of sex, f-bombs, and brutal violence. It's kind of like "The Sopranos" in medieval setting. In fact, HBO is turning the books into a series, which could possibly be the greatest television event since The Wire.

The characters are so well written it's insane. Probably the greatest characterization I've read in any fantasy or sci-fi book, let alone any book. Believe me, this is FAR from any "fantasy" I've ever read, if you can even all it that. You're missing out on a fantastic story If you haven't read them.

Indestructible
11-15-2010, 06:28 AM
The Call of Cthulhu by H.P Lovecraft

JuuKun
11-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Just finished re-reading the Harry Potter books to get ready for Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 this week. :party:

Reading Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Mallory now.

DethMaiden
11-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Reading Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Mallory now.

Translated into modern English?

Nick_to_the_face
11-15-2010, 08:39 AM
The Making of Economic Society by Robert L. Heilbroner and William Milberg
Fuck Economics :tp:

JuuKun
11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Translated into modern English?

Sort of. The spelling is updated, but not the vocabulary, phrasing, or anything else like some other editions do.

DethMaiden
11-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Sort of. The spelling is updated, but not the vocabulary, phrasing, or anything else like some other editions do.

Gotcha. The original spelling is a trip if you get a chance to read about the tales of Kynge Arthur one of these days. :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
11-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Redwall by Brian Jacques

Loved these as a kid, now I'm going to try to read through the whole series including the newest ones. 22 books en todo.

Nick_to_the_face
11-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Redwall by Brian Jacques

Loved these as a kid, now I'm going to try to read through the whole series including the newest ones. 22 books en todo.

Love those books :D didn't they make a show out of it as well?

ChildrenofSodom
11-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Love those books :D didn't they make a show out of it as well?

I think there was a crappy cartoon or something. Never saw it. I'm 6 chapters into the first book...and I remember why I loved it. :party:

Nick_to_the_face
11-17-2010, 06:40 AM
I think there was a crappy cartoon or something. Never saw it. I'm 6 chapters into the first book...and I remember why I loved it. :party:

Ya it was a cartoon..i loved it but then again i was 10...
hmmm this is making me interested in reading them again

powerslave_85
12-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Over the last few days I've read almost all the Walking Dead comics that are out at this point (I couldn't find the latest 3 online, gonna have to go to the comic store for those). It's really good, and it will be interesting to see where the show takes the story next season, because they've added a ton of major stuff that isn't in the comics.

Indestructible
12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Good to Be king By Michael Badnarik.
It's a good book. It teaches you about our rights, what they mean and how to excersise them. It teaches you about the founders and their documents and how they apply to our lives. It's a good U.S history lesson. A very simple and easy read too.

illuminatus917
12-16-2010, 11:22 AM
American Power and the New Mandarins
by Noam Chomsky

Div
12-16-2010, 02:04 PM
metalsetlists.com

mankvill
01-05-2011, 05:12 PM
BUMP

"Mustaine" by Dave Mustaine

"Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces" by Albert Mudrian

"American Hardcore: A Tribal History" by Steven Blush

DethMaiden
01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I've been reading the AV Club's Inventory over break, some really enlightening and funny stuff in there. If I could get a job there, I would gladly drop out of school.

ChildrenofSodom
01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm 20 years old and I'm reading Mattimeo by Brian Jacques.

powerslave_85
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Tom Clancy's newest one, Dead Or Alive. Yeah, I know, but I used to read his stuff all the time, and I couldn't resist checking this one out. It's not bad, actually.

Next up is probably Let The Right One In or Patton Oswalt's new one, Zombie Spaceship Wasteland.

christopher
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
The Wanting Seed - Anthony Burges

This is one of the best dystopian novels I have ever read. I love 1984 and Brave New World, but I think this one is better

Just finished reading
The Rum Diaries - Hunter S Thompson
Post Office - Charles Bukowski

Awesome books bout alcoholism haha

maidenpriest
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Tom Clancy's newest one, Dead Or Alive. Yeah, I know, but I used to read his stuff all the time, and I couldn't resist checking this one out. It's not bad, actually.

Next up is probably Let The Right One In or Patton Oswalt's new one, Zombie Spaceship Wasteland.

I just got the new Clancy for christmas but I'm kinda wary to read it since the last novel i read by Clancy was Rainbow Six and that was kinda meh. Is it better then his last couple releases?

powerslave_85
01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
You didn't like Rainbow Six? That might be my favorite. Anyways, if you haven't read Teeth of the Tiger (his most recent one before this), you should probably do that, since it sets up a lot of characters and things that are referenced in Dead or Alive. That one's pretty short, and I liked it. It's focused more on intel and spy tradecraft than big military and political stuff, but I like that. If you like the characters John Clark and Ding Chavez, you'll probably like this.

maidenpriest
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
i love Clark and Ding but i just felt that the Rainbow Six story was kind of lame. and ok ill check it out. thanks :)

Indestructible
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm reading Night Chills by Dean Koontz right now. Very good. The book is 367 pages, I started reading two weeks ago I have about 60 pages left.

Nick_to_the_face
02-03-2011, 11:01 PM
The Omen by David Seltzer

DethMaiden
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm gonna try to read the new Decibel, Absalom, Absalom!, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo this weekend. I came home to watch the Super Bowl with my family and reading is much, much easier to do here than at school.

ChildrenofSodom
02-04-2011, 05:12 AM
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

ravenheart
02-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Reading 'The Tourist' at the moment as I need to review the sequel, so figured I should read the first one first.

Not very impressed with Steinhauer's style.

ChildrenofSodom
02-07-2011, 08:14 PM
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

Wow. A book hasn't enthralled me like this in quite some time. I spent the whole weekend reading it, and I've only got 15 pages again. I know a lot of the information didn't absorb, so I'll have to read it again in a few weeks...but I was very pleased with this book. Definitely recommend it.

After that, I'm going to go on a Federal Reserve reading marathon. I need to find a topic to do my honors research project on, and I need to know as much about the Fed as possible. I've got 9 books on my shelf, and about 20 more to get from the library. Should be a fun time.

Indestructible
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
After that, I'm going to go on a Federal Reserve reading marathon. I need to find a topic to do my honors research project on, and I need to know as much about the Fed as possible. I've got 9 books on my shelf, and about 20 more to get from the library. Should be a fun time.

Read Ron Paul books and The Creature from Jekyll Island by G.Edward Griffin:D

Indestructible
02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Just finished Night Chills. Read the enitire book in about two and a half weeks. Now I'm reading New World Order: Facts & Fiction by Mark Dice.

maidenpriest
02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
re-reading the Dark Tower series :D

Fires Of Sedition
02-07-2011, 11:58 PM
A Time To Kill

ChildrenofSodom
02-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Read Ron Paul books and The Creature from Jekyll Island by G.Edward Griffin:D

NO.

Indestructible
02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
NO.

Then read Article I section 10 of The Constitution and you will figure out why the FED is unconstitutional.

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Then read Article I section 10 of The Constitution and you will figure out why the FED is unconstitutional.

No thanks.

I'm currently reading:

Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science by Charles Wheelan

Thus begins the Fed research.

Indestructible
02-09-2011, 12:30 PM
No thanks.

If your into politics the founding documents should be read.The founding documents tell the government what they can and cannot do. If the government actually read the documents and did as we the people told them we would this country would be better.

DethMaiden
02-09-2011, 12:31 PM
If your into politics the founding documents should be read.The founding documents tell the government what they can and cannot do. If the government actually read the documents and did as we the people told them we would this country would be better.

I can't think of a full reason why we shouldn't read the Constitution as gospel in 2011, but I can think of three-fifths of one.

powerslave_85
02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I can't think of a full reason why we shouldn't read the Constitution as gospel in 2011, but I can think of three-fifths of one.
What you did there: I see it.

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2011, 01:11 PM

I :lol:'d

Also, the Constitution is dynamic and has been re-interpreted by the courts since the Founding, either by commission or omission of ruling against the legislative/executive branch. If the Court doesn't strike a law, the its constitutional. If you think the government is straying from the Constitution, then you're arguing against 200 years worth of precedent set by Supreme, District, Appellate, and State Courts, 110 sessions of Congress, 44 presidents, and probably hundreds of thousands of bureaucrats that have affected public policy since 1787.

Sinfulsot
02-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Recently have read:
Gulliver's Travels, by Johnathon Swift
The Invisible Man, by HG Wells

Currently reading Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla, by Stephen King

w00tasaurus
02-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Snow Crash, they were both awesome.

Any science fiction recommendations? I've probably been through the most obvious ones :(

IrritatedTrout
02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer.

illuminatus917
02-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Snow Crash, they were both awesome.

Any science fiction recommendations? I've probably been through the most obvious ones :(

Science fiction doesn't get any better than Philip Dick.

I'd recommend the Foundation Trilogy by Asimov.

w00tasaurus
02-20-2011, 05:44 AM
I'd recommend the Foundation Trilogy by Asimov.

I have the foundation trilogy right next to me waiting to start, actually :)

ChildrenofSodom
02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer.

I LOVE STEPHEN KINZER!!!

IrritatedTrout
02-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I finished it last night. It was really good.

ChildrenofSodom
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I finished it last night. It was really good.

Check out Overthrow.

illuminatus917
02-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I have the foundation trilogy right next to me waiting to start, actually :)

As far as sci-fi series' go, that's the biggie. The Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson is another great one, but it's more conspiracy-based/postmodernistic.

Indestructible
02-20-2011, 07:21 PM
The Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson is another great one, but it's more conspiracy-based/postmodernistic.

That sounds like my kind of book:D

DethMaiden
03-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Reading What Is Occultism? for my Occultism in Africa class. Unfortunately, it's not a one-page book with the author answering the titular question with "Bullshit."

And then on the bus ride, flight, and second bus ride to my hotel in Florida Sunday I'm going to lose myself in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

brutal_descent
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Deception Point by Dan Brown.

JuuKun
03-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle by Vladimir Nabokov

Read Lolita a few months back, and it was amazing. Nabokov isn't an author, he's an artist who paints with words. Besides the first four chapters, the book has been superb so far!

w00tasaurus
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
The Kalevala (finnish epic poem)
The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

^ for leisure

for school = about to start Absolom, Absolom! by Faulkner for modernist literature.. not looking forward to it.

illuminatus917
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
for school = about to start Absolom, Absolom! by Faulkner for modernist literature.. not looking forward to it.

I've never read that, but I think it's the book credited for winning him the Nobel Prize in Literature.

ChildrenofSodom
03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
My final exams are over on Wednesday. I'm going to try to find some good scifi/fantasy to read. I've also got Keynes: The Return of the Master waiting for me.

DethMaiden
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
The Kalevala (finnish epic poem)
The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

^ for leisure

*Absalom, Absalom!, and it's brilliant.

w00tasaurus
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
well hopefully I enjoy it more than I am anticipating. only other time I read faulkner was when i was in middle school and may not have been able to appreciate it

DethMaiden
03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
well hopefully I enjoy it more than I am anticipating. only other time I read faulkner was when i was in middle school and may not have been able to appreciate it

Definitely not. I love Faulkner but I think reading him any younger than like 17 is basically worthless.

ChildrenofSodom
03-10-2011, 06:02 PM
AS I LAY DYING :shred:

hellawaits77ny
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Lightning - Dean Koontz

w00tasaurus
04-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm sure it must have been mentioned earlier, but I just started reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and I'm 80% through according to my kindle. It's incredibly. highly anticipating the HBO series starting april 17th for anyone who doesn't know.

im pumped to watch the series, and I don't ever watch television

El Gordo
04-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Can anyone recommend some good books on the subject of metal? I know there's a lot of crap out there, which is why I'm asking for recommendations. Doesn't have to be genre-specific or anything, just good and informative. If this has been done somewhere else, please point me in the right direction.

ChildrenofSodom
04-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Lords of Chaos, for black metal.
Heavy Metal in Baghdad.

The only two I own.

zombieflavoredcupcakes
07-02-2011, 10:10 AM
right now im reading the Dark Hunter series
i have a really long list of series to read this summer

larvtard
07-02-2011, 10:20 AM
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, for school. It's pretty good though

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm currently working through, at varying levels of attentiveness and interest:

Dune by Frank Herbert
The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
Animal Spirits by George Akerlof and Robert Shiller

Also, my new job has me driving almost 2 hours a day, so I'm getting into audio books. I'm about to finish Dracula by Bram Stoker, and then I'm going to listen to:

I Drink For a Reason by David Cross
Predictably Irrational by Daniel Ariely
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
I am America and So Can You by Stephen Colbert
America the Book by Jon Stewart/Daily Show folks

mankvill
07-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Can anyone recommend some good books on the subject of metal? I know there's a lot of crap out there, which is why I'm asking for recommendations. Doesn't have to be genre-specific or anything, just good and informative. If this has been done somewhere else, please point me in the right direction.

I have Lords of Chaos, it's a book documenting the second-wave of black metal with special focus in particular on the church burnings/murder committed by Varg Vikernes (Burzum)

I also have Choosing Death which documents the history of death metal and grindcore.

I just finished reading Dave Mustaine's biography and if you're into that sort of music or scene at all, I highly recommend it.

I'm reading right now American Hardcore which talks about the hardcore punk scene of the early 80s in America. It's a bit different because it's written mostly using quotes from other people, but it's interesting.

Wizzbang11
07-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Lords of Chaos is good, but I think it gives people an unreasonably "mythical" view of the people involved in the 2nd Wave of Black Metal scene, and probably due to my own tastes I find it much less interesting than a book that would have covered the underground of the first wave, besides the brief intro chapter and random references throughout the rest of the book.

I haven't read Choosing Death, but I know that Kam Lee claims they made up an interview with him in it, and I've heard other people say its very questionably sourced.

Glorious Times is supposed to be awesome.

OraclesofAgony
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
On the subject of Metal books, has anyone read Swedish Death Metal? I've been interested in getting that for a while.

mankvill
07-02-2011, 01:56 PM
On the subject of Metal books, has anyone read Swedish Death Metal? I've been interested in getting that for a while.

I think Joel McIver wrote that one, so it should be good

evildeadjedi
07-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Holy Christ, this book is awesome.

:eyes: :D

ChildrenofSodom
07-02-2011, 09:44 PM
:eyes: :D

:lol: That was, what, 4 years ago?

u creepin?

llama lom
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Lords of Chaos. Just finished reading Choosing Death, good books.

zombieflavoredcupcakes
07-02-2011, 10:11 PM
i have the rest of Rick Riordans books and the new Sookie Stackhouse which i havent downloaded yet -_-
too lazy

evildeadjedi
07-03-2011, 09:00 AM
:lol: That was, what, 4 years ago?

u creepin?

Yes, I believe it was and I just saw the post. Didn't pay attention to the date until after I submitted the comment. :D So, I wonder if Brad still thinks Ayn Rand is amazing?;)

Wizzbang11
07-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes, I believe it was and I just saw the post. Didn't pay attention to the date until after I submitted the comment. :D So, I wonder if Brad still thinks Ayn Rand is amazing?;)

The last conversation I had with him about it indicated that Brad is indeed a die-hard objectivist.

illuminatus917
07-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Rand was a dilettante.

ChildrenofSodom
07-03-2011, 04:19 PM
She left the failed communist system in Russia, and in order to save America from the frying pan, she advocated throwing us into the fire. Aside from the heavy reliance on reason, I really don't like anything about Objectivism. It runs contrary to human evolution, communitarianism, and makes a bigger enemy of overt collective good (hate crime laws) than covert collective bad (institutional inequality.)

John Rawls all the way, baby. :D

adamclark52
07-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I just started the first book in the Han Solo trilogy, I think it's called the Paradise Snare. I usually only read books on the train to work, and I don't know when the next time my shift will allow me to take the train again, so it may be awhile until I get back to this one. I've got about 20 to get to too so hopefully I'll be back on the train soon.

The last few Star Wars books I got to read were; Tatooine Ghost, Survivors Quest, Ruins of Dantooine, the Courtship of Princess Leia and I, Jedi.

I've probably read close to 100 in total.

OraclesofAgony
07-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Lords of Chaos. Just finished reading Choosing Death, good books.

I finally ordered Choosing Death, looking forward to reading it.

illuminatus917
07-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Getting ready to start Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs, one of my favorite books of all time.

Wizzbang11
07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Animal Liberation by Peter Singer

larvtard
07-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I started reading A Clockwork Orange a couple of nights ago and I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THESE WORDS MEAN

so I stopped.

Wizzbang11
07-14-2011, 08:53 AM
I started reading A Clockwork Orange a couple of nights ago and I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THESE WORDS MEAN

so I stopped.

Get a nadsat dictionary online, theyre easy to find, I think its even on wikipedia. Also as you read it it's pretty easy to piece together with context, don't give up!

larvtard
07-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Get a nadsat dictionary online, theyre easy to find, I think its even on wikipedia. Also as you read it it's pretty easy to piece together with context, don't give up!

I suppose I'll give it another shot, preferably during the day when I'm fully awake this time.

jd091
07-14-2011, 11:43 AM
A Dance with Dragons... FINALLY.

maidenpriest
07-16-2011, 12:34 AM

Lucky...I bought it early so I could get a good "new release" price on the hardcover but I'm only on A Clash of Kings :( Let us know what you think of the book though!

Akumu
07-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Finished Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I... really don't get why this trilogy is so popular. It's pretty standard YA, with token terrible love triangle. :/

Got my copy in the mail a few days ago. :bliss: I'm still re-reading the previous books - on ASoS right now (:bawling:) - and I think I'll read AFfC and ADwD simultaneously for the ~full experience~.

jd091
07-16-2011, 07:26 AM
For those song of Fire and Ice Fans:

I'm only around page 50 :( since I've had a lot going on this week, but I'm gonna try and sink some serious time into it today. So far, it's really, really good! I forgot how much I missed Tyrion's perspective, and it's well written here, as always.

jd091
07-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Finished Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I... really don't get why this trilogy is so popular. It's pretty standard YA, with token terrible love triangle. :/

Got my copy in the mail a few days ago. :bliss: I'm still re-reading the previous books - on ASoS right now (:bawling:) - and I think I'll read AFfC and ADwD simultaneously for the ~full experience~.

NO

Do not do that.

ADWD goes beyond the timeline of AFFC and starts to continue the stories of those characters also about halfway through, and I think you could potentially spoil stuff for yourself. I just wouodn't recommend it.

And I think I know what you mean by :bawling:... ;)