PDA

View Full Version : The Now Reading Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

zgodt
08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Oh, I'll agree that they're assholes, but I still think it's funny that shes getting spammed. Also, saying "women are not oppressed" was applying to the united states only, as I realize there's plenty of other places in the world that are still behind the times.

Women have it much better in the States than they do in much of the world, of course. But even here they still aren't on equal footing with men (politically and socially, I mean), and still face violence, restraint, and discrimination at the hands of men.

SomewhereInTime72
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Women have it much better in the States than they do in much of the world, of course. But even here they still aren't on equal footing with men (politically and socially, I mean), and still face violence, restraint, and discrimination at the hands of men.

I agree, but I also think it's definitely not really the way the women on that site describe it as...

zgodt
08-09-2007, 12:21 AM
I agree, but I also think it's definitely not really the way the women on that site describe it as...

Where do you think they have it wrong?

I think the gut responses of some of the posters there are a bit blunt, a little bit simplistic. Everything may not be as starkly black and white as some of their posts suggest. But then, that's rhetoric for you. And, of course, that's what you get from the internet. Our political and aesthetic discussions here are full of half-baked overstatements too, I'm sure, with none more guilty than me.

powerslave_85
08-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I picked up a nifty little book a few days ago called Our Band Could Be Your Life, which profiles the histories of 13 indie rock/punk bands, like Minor Threat, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, The Replacements, The Minutemen, et. al. I can hardly put it down, and it rekindled my interest in several of the bands, and may have made me a fan of another (Mission of Burma).

zgodt
08-11-2007, 05:36 AM
I picked up a nifty little book a few days ago called Our Band Could Be Your Life, which profiles the histories of 13 indie rock/punk bands, like Minor Threat, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, The Replacements, The Minutemen, et. al. I can hardly put it down, and it rekindled my interest in several of the bands, and may have made me a fan of another (Mission of Burma).

Mission of Burma kicks ass.

ADD
08-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Is 'My War' the best Black Flag album? They're the only one of those bands that interest me, and I checked it out and its a kickass album. I'm wondering if I should look into any more of their stuff?

powerslave_85
08-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Is 'My War' the best Black Flag album? They're the only one of those bands that interest me, and I checked it out and its a kickass album. I'm wondering if I should look into any more of their stuff?
Damaged and the Nervous Breakdown EP are their best material, IMO. Also, if you like them then there is really no reason you wouldn't like Minor Threat.

DethMaiden
08-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Damaged and the Nervous Breakdown EP are their best material, IMO. Also, if you like them then there is really no reason you wouldn't like Minor Threat.

I like Minor Threat a lot more than Black Flag (though both kick ass).

powerslave_85
08-11-2007, 06:56 PM
I like Minor Threat a lot more than Black Flag (though both kick ass).
Same here.

JRA
08-11-2007, 07:30 PM
1) I"M SOORRY FOR SOMETHING I DIDN'T DO I LYNCHED SOMEBODY BUT I DON'T KNOW WHO!

2) Now reading: Neil Peart: Traveling Music.

DethMaiden
08-13-2007, 08:47 PM
So I read The Catcher in the Rye today. And I would very much appreciate an explanation for why in the fuck it's considered a classic. Scott? Anyone? Whyyyyyyy?

ADD
08-13-2007, 08:50 PM
So I read The Catcher in the Rye today. And I would very much appreciate an explanation for why in the fuck it's considered a classic. Scott? Anyone? Whyyyyyyy?

Cuz its good :dorky:

DethMaiden
08-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Cuz its good :dorky:

Really? Because as I understood it, it was a two hundred page series of barely coherent rants that foreshadowed everything under the sun and cashed in on none of it.

SomewhereInTime72
08-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Really? Because as I understood it, it was a two hundred page series of barely coherent rants that foreshadowed everything under the sun and cashed in on none of it.

You didn't understand it.

DethMaiden
08-13-2007, 09:18 PM
You didn't understand it.

I think I got it. Holden is supposed to be a crusader for youth and independence, constantly being told by everyone who and what he's supposed to be. He achieves his victory by not giving in to the demands. He doesn't fit into the world and prefers a fantasy world to it.

I just wanted there to be something more to it. When every other sentence is "I swear to God I'm crazy", you want a shooting spree or something.

ADD
08-13-2007, 09:29 PM

Well, as I understood it.............THRASHFUCK :shred: :shred: :shred: I dunno I liked that book even though it wasnt super duper special or anything.

DethMaiden
08-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Well, as I understood it.............THRASHFUCK :shred: :shred: :shred: I dunno I liked that book even though it wasnt super duper special or anything.

I didn't hate it. I just wish he made good on some of his threats. Kill yourself or someone else, fool! :hmm:

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
"You can read me Catcher In the Rye, and watch me jack off."

From the "I must emo" song. Sounds like a dumb book. To bad I have to have that and Huck Finn done in a week. :hecho:

zgodt
08-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I think it's because Holden Caulfield is an original character with an original voice. He might not seem like it so much to us now because we've seen his type of character imitated and duplicated so often -- but before Salinger, how many serious authors were featuring wiseass misfit teenagers as protagonists?

I didn't read it until I was almost 30, but it made me wish I'd read it when I was 15; I probably would've enjoyed it more then. Meanwhile, as far as young wiseass misfit protagonists go, I enjoyed the novel A Confederacy of Dunces a lot more than Catcher in the Rye.

zgodt
08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
"You can read me Catcher In the Rye, and watch me jack off."

From the "I must emo" song. Sounds like a dumb book. To bad I have to have that and Huck Finn done in a week. :hecho:

I started to type "Oh fuck off, those are both good books and you should be glad to be reading them" but then I remembered how as I high school senior I didn't read most of the novels on my required reading list, including Crime and Punishment and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, both of which I still haven't read and kick myself incessantly for not having read in the first place.

DethMaiden
08-14-2007, 06:40 AM
I think it's because Holden Caulfield is an original character with an original voice. He might not seem like it so much to us now because we've seen his type of character imitated and duplicated so often -- but before Salinger, how many serious authors were featuring wiseass misfit teenagers as protagonists?

I didn't read it until I was almost 30, but it made me wish I'd read it when I was 15; I probably would've enjoyed it more then. Meanwhile, as far as young wiseass misfit protagonists go, I enjoyed the novel A Confederacy of Dunces a lot more than Catcher in the Rye.

I will say I enjoyed the writing style. The book went by very quickly because of the conversational tone. I dunno, I guess I shouldn't have been so bent on expecting some action in the end. On reflection I guess it was pretty brilliant.

JRA
08-14-2007, 07:22 AM
I started to type "Oh fuck off, those are both good books and you should be glad to be reading them" but then I remembered how as I high school senior I didn't read most of the novels on my required reading list, including Crime and Punishment and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, both of which I still haven't read and kick myself incessantly for not having read in the first place.

Crime & Punishment is badass. Its fucking long, but its badass.

zgodt
08-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Crime & Punishment is badass. Its fucking long, but its badass.

I believe it. The weird thing is, I've gone on to read a couple of other books by Dostoyevsky -- even The Brothers Karamazov -- but never gone back for C&P.

ChildrenofSodom
08-14-2007, 08:45 AM

I DO want to read them. I am sure they will be good, because of all the hype they get...And obviously my teacher thinks they're good. But I only have a week to finish them. I wish I hadnt wasted my summer. :(

SomewhereInTime72
08-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I will say I enjoyed the writing style. The book went by very quickly because of the conversational tone. I dunno, I guess I shouldn't have been so bent on expecting some action in the end. On reflection I guess it was pretty brilliant.
Well, I sorta always thought that the way there is no real big climax at the end was part of what made the book more... real. I think you should read Salinger's short story A Perfect Day For Bananafish. :eyes:

I believe it. The weird thing is, I've gone on to read a couple of other books by Dostoyevsky -- even The Brothers Karamazov -- but never gone back for C&P.

You should totally get around to reading it, it's brilliant.

I'm reading Sailing Alone Around the Room by Billy Collins, because my college is making me. And... eh, maybe I just don't like the idea of reading a book of poems all the way through.

zgodt
08-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm reading Sailing Alone Around the Room by Billy Collins, because my college is making me. And... eh, maybe I just don't like the idea of reading a book of poems all the way through.
:hmm:

I can understand not wanting to read a Billy Collins book all the way, through. He's okay in small doses. But really, I don't know why you should complain, I'm sure you can finish the whole book in under an hour. As poetry goes, he's pretty light reading.

Div
08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
suprisingly, i never had to read Catcher for any of my english classes. but out of all my required reading books, i enjoyed Frankenstein the most and Barabbas the least.

DethMaiden
08-14-2007, 02:10 PM
suprisingly, i never had to read Catcher for any of my english classes. but out of all my required reading books, i enjoyed Frankenstein the most and Barabbas the least.

Troy rules in required reading selections: I've read Anthem, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, and 1984---four of my all time favorite books---for class.

zgodt
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Troy rules in required reading selections: I've read Anthem, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, and 1984---four of my all time favorite books---for class.

You may be misinterpreting the data. Perhaps those are four of your all time favorite books because Troy has done such a shitty job of exposing you to really good books....

DethMaiden
08-14-2007, 02:26 PM
You may be misinterpreting the data. Perhaps those are four of your all time favorite books because Troy has done such a shitty job of exposing you to really good books....

I've read a lot of books I've loved not for class, too. :eyes: And what's wrong with those books, other than their thematic similarity to one another?

zgodt
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I've read a lot of books I've loved not for class, too. :eyes: And what's wrong with those books, other than their thematic similarity to one another?

Nothing at all. :D I love them all too, except for Anthem.

But of course the world is rife with fine books. How do you know you should congratulate Troy for showing you the best of the best already? That's all I meant. ;)

SomewhereInTime72
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
:hmm:

I can understand not wanting to read a Billy Collins book all the way, through. He's okay in small doses. But really, I don't know why you should complain, I'm sure you can finish the whole book in under an hour. As poetry goes, he's pretty light reading.

Yeah, I'll admit that if it were someone I really liked, I'd probably be more enthused about it. And I sorta feel like a 172 page book full of one or two page poems is, well... too much. :tongue:

DethMaiden
08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Nothing at all. :D I love them all too, except for Anthem.

But of course the world is rife with fine books. How do you know you should congratulate Troy for showing you the best of the best already? That's all I meant. ;)

I liked Anthem a lot more the first time I read it. Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead really eclipse it. But yeah, you don't like Ayn Rand period, so whatever ;)

They've shown me some of the best that I've read so far. I get much more satisfaction out of discovering an author or a novel on my own and loving it. For example, I read American Psycho after hearing a sample from the film version in a Rune song, and it's now one of my favorite books, with Bret Easton Ellis being one of my favorite authors.

ChildrenofSodom
08-14-2007, 05:27 PM
I am so glad that Troy has taught so much dystopia literature...i just wish I had been as politically minded as I am now, when I read them.

Div
08-14-2007, 06:25 PM
My senior year english teacher was all into Shakesphere being the greatest writer ever, she didnt like it very much when i mentioned Bacon.

zgodt
08-14-2007, 07:57 PM
My senior year english teacher was all into Shakesphere being the greatest writer ever, she didnt like it very much when i mentioned Bacon.

Any teacher that doesn't like his/her students to mention Bacon is a damned nitwit. How many the fuck teenagers these days even know who Francis Bacon is?

But anyway... Shakespeare is the shiznit, ya know.

powerslave_85
08-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm disappointed in myself for only reading two books this whole summer. Working in a bookstore, I get a ton of ideas for what to read next, so I'm going to start going through my little wishlist. It's mostly classics that I've never got around to reading and wasn't exposed to in school.

JRA
08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Crime & Punishment
Color Purple
A Space Odyssey
Fahrenheit 451
Pride & Prejudice

That's what I can remember reading in school

powerslave_85
08-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I remember being assigned Pride and Prejudice in high school, and thinking "A book about a bunch of 19th century British women trying to get married? This is going to SUCK." But now it's one of my all time favorite books.

JRA
08-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I remember being assigned Pride and Prejudice in high school, and thinking "A book about a bunch of 19th century British women trying to get married? This is going to SUCK." But now it's one of my all time favorite books.

I remember attempting to read it and not understanding a lick of it.

ChildrenofSodom
08-15-2007, 12:17 AM
We read Tuesdays With Morrie as freshmen. :hecho:

Div
08-15-2007, 11:49 AM
We read Amelia Bedelia Helps Out in 7th grade :eyes:

JRA
08-15-2007, 08:39 PM
We read Amelia Bedelia Helps Out in 7th grade :eyes:

I remember reading that a long time ago too. Or at least I remember the name Amelia Bedelia.

SomewhereInTime72
08-15-2007, 10:11 PM

I remember thinking that too.

Except I still dislike that book.

JRA
08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I just read the most blaspemous sentence ever.

"other times I'd be all vibed up and want to listen to my official theme song for the Vapor Trails tour, Limp Bizkit's 'Rollin.'"

-Neil Peart

I want to kill someone.

ADD
08-16-2007, 08:22 PM
We read Tuesdays With Morrie as freshmen. :hecho:
That shit is depressing.

ChildrenofSodom
08-19-2007, 05:52 PM
I finished that one book I was reading, now I am 1/4 way through Catcher in the Rye...and I still have to read Huck Finn by Wednesday. Plus go to my open house tomorrow, and do community service on Tuesday....

iggyb387
08-19-2007, 05:57 PM
I remember thinking that too.

Except I still dislike that book.

Nobody in my English class actually read it. But I was the only one that kept getting caught not knowing the plot. Too lazy to use Sparknotes. >_<

overkiller
08-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Finally caught up--I finished The Half-Blood Prince last night, and I'm gonna start The Deathly Hallows at some point today. :D

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
50 pages left of Catcher in the Rye and then I gotta do Huck Finn....UGH

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2007, 04:06 PM
My quiz team coach lent me:

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
Voices of a People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

but I have to finish Catcher in the Rye and Huck Finn first :mad:

Div
08-20-2007, 04:30 PM
My quiz team coach lent me:

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
Voices of a People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

but I have to finish Catcher in the Rye and Huck Finn first :mad:

quiz.... team.... coach??

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2007, 05:48 PM
quiz.... team.... coach??

hahahahaha Yes. Our team is gonna be on TV this year. I'll be sure to post it on Youtube for you all to see how nerdy we are.

SomewhereInTime72
08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
The Idiot by Dostoyevsky.

Div
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
http://www.ninjapirate.com/girlsQuestionMark.html :lol:

DethMaiden
08-27-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm gonna try to read all of the new Terry Brooks tonight. But that's wishful thinking, so let's say tonight and tomorrow.

overkiller
08-31-2007, 06:53 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6972093.stm

Yeah, considering the state of the world right now it's not exactly wise to publish stuff like this cartoon, but christ, IT'S A FUCKING CARTOON. What the hell is wrong with people that they think this is worth getting upset over? Forgive me if this is uncouth, but I'm really starting to get as sickened with Islam as I am with Christianity. And it's not just extremism, the religion itself is just fucking backwards and anti-human.

Div
09-09-2007, 11:48 AM
None Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary Allen

zgodt
09-10-2007, 07:45 AM
What is the What by Dave Eggers

Div
09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Statesman - Plato

overkiller
10-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Still reading Herodotus (I'm taking my damn sweet time), and now Who Were the Celts? by Kevin Duffy, which is just a quick-read, popular-history book about, obviously, the Celts. Also enjoying Shakespeare's The Tempest thanks to that damned Decemberists song, and I'm seriously considering re-reading the Kalevala, since last Autumn I spent a good deal of time outside in the woods on my school's campus reading it, and it was simply wonderful. I want to do that again.

Div
10-15-2007, 08:27 PM
BIOS210

Chapter 8 - Microbial Genetics

:bricks:

zgodt
10-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Finished What Is the What today. Phenomenal book.

SomewhereInTime72
10-28-2007, 11:31 PM
http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

:( :mad:

DethMaiden
10-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park. Pure genius.

Div
12-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Prey - Michael Crichton

SomewhereInTime72
12-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Prey - Michael Crichton

I really liked that one. :cool:

ravenheart
12-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Rich Hall - Otis Lee Crenshaw: I Blame Society

DethMaiden
12-25-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm doing alright getting through a bunch of books on Christmas break. Currently on The Shining, then doing an H.P. Lovecraft collection, then Phillip K. Dick's The Divine Invasion, then whatever I buy with a $20 Christmas gift certificate.

Div
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I really liked that one. :cool:

i did too. especially the last few lines, "They didn't know what they were doing. I'm afraid that will be on the tombstone of the human race."

and he did a great job making the reader really hate julia.

Spiral_Slave
12-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Div
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Next - Michael Crichton

Div
01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
State of Fear - Michael Crichton

powerslave_85
01-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies by Jared Diamond

zgodt
01-14-2008, 08:19 PM
The New Kings of Non-Fiction, ed. Ira Glass

DethMaiden
01-14-2008, 08:19 PM
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

It's incredibly good, but some of the lengthy biology interludes are losing me.

Fe Maiden
01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Next - Michael CrichtonWas it good?

Fe Maiden
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM

It's incredibly good, but some of the lengthy biology interludes are losing me.Sounds like I may enjoy it!

DethMaiden
01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Sounds like I may enjoy it!

As a science teacher, I would say it's probably essential for you.

Div
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Was it good?

It's a bit hard to follow at some points because there's like 5 stories and sets of characters going on at once, but they all tie together at the end. It's heavily laced with science about genetics and bioethics, such as transgenics and gene therapy. It's not as action intense as Jurassic Park or Prey, I can't really see it keeping anyones attention unless they're into biology. Interestingly, alot of the things described in the book are actually in research and development.

Div
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM

It's incredibly good, but some of the lengthy biology interludes are losing me.

fundamentalist militant religions ftw mirite?

DethMaiden
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
fundamentalist militant religions ftw mirite?

First of all, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Second of all, I don't know what you have against Dawkins.

Div
01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
First of all, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Second of all, I don't know what you have against Dawkins.

He hates the church but then goes off and basically forms his own religion to go around bashing people who are religious, it's hypocritical. If he wants to point out hypocrisy within churches then fine, but Dick Dawkins decides that mankind, in it's infallible wisdom, is the ultimate pinnacle of sentient life and no higher beings could exist. Scientifically speaking, God could be categorized as an unknown, but it's extremely foolish to say it can't exist. But man knows everything right, we've got it all figured out? But that doesn't stop him from $elling his own theories as fact, something that should not be done in science.

Also his "flying spagetti monster" crap is just semantics, and his following calling themselves "Brights" is just another excuse for people to act elitist. It seems his whole following is just caught up in one big pissing contest trying to prove they're more intellectual than everyone else.

TL;DR - he's a pompous fool who uses philosophy and mental gymnastics to promote his own views which are just as unprovable as that which he hates. :)

DethMaiden
01-16-2008, 08:05 PM
He hates the church but then goes off and basically forms his own religion to go around bashing people who are religious, it's hypocritical. If he wants to point out hypocrisy within churches then fine, but Dick Dawkins decides that mankind, in it's infallible wisdom, is the ultimate pinnacle of sentient life and no higher beings could exist. Scientifically speaking, God could be categorized as an unknown, but it's extremely foolish to say it can't exist. But man knows everything right, we've got it all figured out? But that doesn't stop him from $elling his own theories as fact, something that should not be done in science.

Also his "flying spagetti monster" crap is just semantics, and his following calling themselves "Brights" is just another excuse for people to act elitist. It seems his whole following is just caught up in one big pissing contest trying to prove they're more intellectual than everyone else.

TL;DR - he's a pompous fool who uses philosophy and mental gymnastics to promote his own views which are just as unprovable as that which he hates. :)

Actually read the book, then we'll talk.

powerslave_85
01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't like him. I find outspoken atheists really annoying, because I'm the kind of atheist who just wants to leave everyone else alone to their own thing. I don't believe in God, but I don't feel the need to go around telling religious people that their whole belief system is stupid and laying out all my reasons for it. I just think that's a douchebaggy thing to do.

DethMaiden
01-17-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't like him. I find outspoken atheists really annoying, because I'm the kind of atheist who just wants to leave everyone else alone to their own thing. I don't believe in God, but I don't feel the need to go around telling religious people that their whole belief system is stupid and laying out all my reasons for it. I just think that's a douchebaggy thing to do.

Well, if religious people are going to condemn my atheism and give me reasons why I'm wrong (which they do), I should at least have ammo to fire back with. The God Delusion is such ammo.

ChildrenofSodom
01-17-2008, 09:21 AM

And I think Dawkins talks about this in his book, but why is religion this untouchable subject? We can shit all over each other when it comes to politics, musical tastes, eating habits, tastes in clothes/cars/partners...but somehow, religion is a subject in which you cant assert your own opinions over others. Or even argue the issues of faith.

Div
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
It's a waste for anyone claiming to be a scientist to spend time on this. They could be using their knowledge to build more efficient engines, decode the genome, synthesize new polymers, etc etc etc. Instead they just masturbate their egos and act like elitists. Seriously tho, I'm not even really a religious person, but who the fuck is anyone to claim they've got the universe all figured out and then condem others for spiritual beliefs? I'm suprised the size of his head doesn't throw off the pattern of the tides.

He should write books on how not to be ignorant, which is the true "root of all evil" in this world, instead of blaming some institution which is largely taken out of context by ignorant followers. All he's doing is trying to fight fire with fire, which is never a good idea, unless Metallica is involved.

overkiller
01-17-2008, 01:08 PM
It's a waste for anyone claiming to be a scientist to spend time on this. They could be using their knowledge to build more efficient engines, decode the genome, synthesize new polymers, etc etc etc. Instead they just masturbate their egos and act like elitists. Seriously tho, I'm not even really a religious person, but who the fuck is anyone to claim they've got the universe all figured out and then condem others for spiritual beliefs? I'm suprised the size of his head doesn't throw off the pattern of the tides.

He should write books on how not to be ignorant, which is the true "root of all evil" in this world, instead of blaming some institution which is largely taken out of context by ignorant followers. All he's doing is trying to fight fire with fire, which is never a good idea, unless Metallica is involved.

But... if you haven't even read the book, how are you still criticizing him? :confused:

overkiller
04-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Petronius - Satyricon

zgodt
04-27-2008, 10:02 PM
rereading And Her Soul Out of Nothing - Olena Kalytiak Davis

So good. And it's been so nice this month (for National Poetry Month) to focus on reading poetry -- I've probably read or reread a dozen poetry books this month, from Anne Sexton to Carl Sandburg to Adrienne Rich to Stephen Dunn, and so on. It's been great. :)

Nemesis
04-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I've started reading Ken Follett's The Pillars Of The Earth but even after 250 pages I'm still trying to figure why this should be an essential read.

rjturtle9
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
reading a rose for Emily. sick short story

zgodt
04-30-2008, 10:59 PM
reading a rose for Emily. sick short story
Ha! I haven't read that, but it gets referenced in my favorite short story of all time, which is "Ralph the Duck" by Frederick Busch. The main character writes a paper on "A Rose for Emily" in which he discusses "the mechanics of corpse-fucking."

zgodt
04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
I've started reading Ken Follett's The Pillars Of The Earth but even after 250 pages I'm still trying to figure why this should be an essential read.

That's too bad. I read "The Eye of the Needle" by him when I was 12 and thought it was great... but you know, that was a long time ago. Judging by how thick that new book is... he's either gotten a lot more ambitious or a lot more long-winded.

ChildrenofSodom
05-01-2008, 04:24 AM
Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change From Hawaii to Iraq by Stephen Kinzer

Excellent piece of historic nonfiction. Very detailed. If you have ever wanted to know why people around the world hate the US (I'm sure you can guess), then read this book.

rjturtle9
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Ha! I haven't read that, but it gets referenced in my favorite short story of all time, which is "Ralph the Duck" by Frederick Busch. The main character writes a paper on "A Rose for Emily" in which he discusses "the mechanics of corpse-fucking."

haha funny stuff

DethMaiden
05-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Reviewing the Arts, a journalism textbook given to me by my newswriting teacher. Interesting stuff and definitely going to be helpful in my career I hope to have.

overkiller
05-08-2008, 09:40 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5764886.html

BRUTAL

SomewhereInTime72
05-19-2008, 01:02 PM
The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

overkiller
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
A Companion to Petronius by Edward Courtney. Great, great book, really enlightening, especially having just read the Satyricon. I'm going to be doing a senior honors thesis over the coming schoolyear, and it looks like it's going to be on the same topic as one of my recent term papers--Petronius in film. Summer is basically the research period for anyone who does one of these things, so I'm getting an early start.

Also, I'm (finally) going to read all of Ovid's Metamorphoses--it's definitely something I should have under my belt, but specifically I want to get to the Orpheus and Eurydice episode, because a theater-major friend of mine asked me to consult on her upcoming production of a modern interpretation of the myth, which will be put on in the spring ('09). Should be fun. :)

ChildrenofSodom
05-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire by Chalmers Johnson

I'm on a foreign policy kick.

overkiller
06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
For Honors English 12 I have to read 4 books (one world, one American, one British, one Shakespeare) over the summer and write a two page scholarly handout about each. I chose the following:

We by Zamyatin
The Last Man by Mary Shelley
It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
Pericles by Shakespeare

Already started We, and I like it so far. Anyone read of the others?

powerslave_85
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Tried starting it once, didn't get too far, but this time I'm really enjoying it.

DethMaiden
06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Summer reading: Dante's Divine Comedy, Bret Easton Ellis' Glamorama, Giles Foden's The Last King of Scotland, and Shakespeare's Othello.

SomewhereInTime72
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i23h4XqvR0Ph96aWYyZ4PgI54YCwD912O5FG0

:cool:

DethMaiden
06-03-2008, 04:19 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i23h4XqvR0Ph96aWYyZ4PgI54YCwD912O5FG0

:fist: :party: 2009 to 2012 is gonna be good, hopefully.

EDIT: Fist party is the new standard for expressing approval :hmm:

SomewhereInTime72
06-03-2008, 04:49 PM
:fist: :party: 2009 to 2012 is gonna be good, hopefully.

EDIT: Fist party is the new standard for expressing approval :hmm:

I approve. :fist: :party:

Yeah, honestly, even undecided, Obama vs. McCain is a better election line-up than the last two presidential elections combined.

ChildrenofSodom
06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
You would expect Obama to win in a landslide, but there is still the fear in the back of my mind that there are Republicans stupid enough to support McCain even after these eight years.

Benjamin Breeg
06-03-2008, 06:07 PM
The Great And Secret Show by Clive Barker

It's out there :eek:

DethMaiden
06-06-2008, 08:59 AM
From Pitchfork, pretty well-put I think:

"Not all prog is created equal. Take prog metal, for instance. In one corner are Mastodon, who are prog to the core: long songs, lots of noodling, worship of 1970s Genesis (at least on the part of drummer Brann Dailor, an avowed Phil Collins acolyte). In the other corner are Dream Theater, who are equally prog: long songs, lots of noodling, worship of 1970s Rush (at least on the part of drummer Mike Portnoy, an avowed Neil Peart acolyte). Hipsters love Mastodon, but they won't go near Dream Theater. Dream Theater fans are equally unlikely to sport Mastodon t-shirts.

Perhaps this split is due to friction (in the musical sense). Mastodon are closer to prog as it was in the 70s-- self-indulgent, yes, but also earthy and analog. Dream Theater are the apex of prog's, um, progression since then. They're digitally clean and hyper-precise, poster boys for Pro Tools. For whatever reason, the white belt set gravitates towards prog's older aesthetic (see also the Mars Volta), while men with ponytails discuss kick drum pedals in Dream Theater forums. If "indie" is an aesthetic, it stops at certain thresholds of precision and heaviness."

Div
06-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Neither of those two shitheaded canidates hardly deserve the :fist: emoticon.

DethMaiden
06-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Neither of those two shitheaded canidates hardly deserve the :fist: emoticon.

I really don't get your beef with Barack.

Div
06-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I really don't get your beef with Barack.

Well he's just full of empty rhetoric. Saying "CHAAAAAAAAAANGE" over and over doesn't amount to anything, he's just playing the political game. But to be specific; he claims to be against the war but voted to leave the troops there, he claims to be for civil rights but voted to support the patriot act and is part of the homeland security gestapo, he's anti 2nd ammendment, he constantly makes references to things that don't exist (like the article in Life magazine), he flip flops on the issues, he supposedly condems the racist remarks of his pastor yet still quotes them in his own book, he supports socialized healthcare, etc. Just don't get your hopes up on him.

In short he's just not a friend of a pro-liberty, pro-freedom society and will continue to expand the government while the people get the shaft. People think this next election will be something revolutionary, but no matter which one wins the establishment will still get in, business as usual.

ChildrenofSodom
06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Reverend Wright isnt wrong.....

Div
06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Reverend Wright isnt wrong.....

About how white people ruin the world? What happened to not looking at people from a collectivist mindset? Racism is still racism.

Not everything he says is wrong, I think he says alot of good things, but the racist comments weren't needed, and out of all the things he says those shouldn't have been what obama chose for his book.

ChildrenofSodom
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
About how white people ruin the world? What happened to not looking at people from a collectivist mindset? Racism is still racism.

Not everything he says is wrong, I think he says alot of good things, but the racist comments weren't needed, and out of all the things he says those shouldn't have been what obama chose for his book.

The thing is though, racism is relevant to ones situation. Yes, looking at a group of people and judging them based on the color of their skin is wrong, but the poor black community in this nation has been largely fucked over by the rich white community of this nation. Sure, not all blacks are poor (not all whites are rich) and not all white people oppress black people, but if you stand in the reverends shoes, you can see how easy it is to make such accusations. To ignore the fact that whites have instutitionally oppressed blacks in this nation from the 1600s to today is a grave mistake.

And I know you dont buy into the 19-Arab conspiracy, but what Wright says about 9/11 is accurate. Americans (over the passed 100+ years) have dont whatever the fuck they want around the world, without consequence. It is no wonder 9/11 happened. Blowback. And the funny thing is, the American public is to retarded to realize that if we bomb other countries, they are going to bomb us back.

But yeah, saying that the government created AIDS to kill black people, thats a little wack.

Div
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
The thing is though, racism is relevant to ones situation. Yes, looking at a group of people and judging them based on the color of their skin is wrong, but the poor black community in this nation has been largely fucked over by the rich white community of this nation. Sure, not all blacks are poor (not all whites are rich) and not all white people oppress black people, but if you stand in the reverends shoes, you can see how easy it is to make such accusations. To ignore the fact that whites have instutitionally oppressed blacks in this nation from the 1600s to today is a grave mistake.

Well you said it yourself, not all whites have oppressed all blacks. And because of that by using just a general term as "whites" and saying they are responsible for the misfortunes of "blacks", especially in todays age where no living blacks have been slaves, is just ignorant. When he says "whites" that points the finger at you, me, and our families, even those who immigrated here long after slavery was abolished and had nothing to do with it. Why should I be expected to feel guilty over slavery?

If he said "the rich elite, politicians, african tribal leaders, spanish slave traders, and pre 1865 plantation owners are responsible for slavery and mistreatment of blacks" then he would be correct. But that message doesn't really rally people up as much as saying "white man is the devil". And what does a message like that even do? It won't make two groups of people put aside their differences and relax, it just stirs up tension between them.

Besides, what about other countries with arab slaves or chinese slaves? It shouldn't be a debate over black vs white, but as with everything else, slavery vs liberty.

And I know you dont buy into the 19-Arab conspiracy, ;) but what Wright says about 9/11 is accurate. Americans (over the passed 100+ years) have dont whatever the fuck they want around the world, without consequence. It is no wonder 9/11 happened. Blowback. And the funny thing is, the American public is to retarded to realize that if we bomb other countries, they are going to bomb us back.

But yeah, saying that the government created AIDS to kill black people, thats a little wack.

Regarding that, he's talking level headed. But then again, Ron Paul has been saying that for years. :cool: I think the man has the right ideas about government but the wrong idea about race.

But getting back to obama... yea, he's gonna keep the same bureaucracy set up by the bush administration. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, and be sure to present your national ID card at police checkpoints in a speedy fashion.

DethMaiden
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
But getting back to obama... yea, he's gonna keep the same bureaucracy set up by the bush administration. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, and be sure to present your national ID card at police checkpoints in a speedy fashion.

I think the internet convinced you of this without presenting you with facts.

Div
06-06-2008, 01:03 PM
I think the internet convinced you of this without presenting you with facts.

If obama repeals Real ID I will personally get in my car, drive out to the middle of nowhere, and buy you all the mikes hard lemonade you can drink.

overkiller
06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
he supports socialized healthcare

*GASP* Dear me! Why would we ever want that!?

DethMaiden
06-06-2008, 01:59 PM
If obama repeals Real ID I will personally get in my car, drive out to the middle of nowhere, and buy you all the mikes hard lemonade you can drink.

:lol: :lol: I'll take you up on that.

Div
06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
*GASP* Dear me! Why would we ever want that!?

Come on man, the government cant even fill pot holes efficiently, let alone all the other shit with the economy and war and such, and you trust them with your health?

DethMaiden
06-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Come on man, the government cant even fill pot holes efficiently, let alone all the other shit with the economy and war and such, and you trust them with your health?

Well, for millions of uninsured families (like mine), government medicine would be a pretty nice alternative to having to go to the strip mall Urgent Care centers sprinkled throughout the country and populated by doctors who probably earned their degrees in a van somewhere. :2cents:

overkiller
06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, for millions of uninsured families (like mine), government medicine would be a pretty nice alternative to having to go to the strip mall Urgent Care centers sprinkled throughout the country and populated by doctors who probably earned their degrees in a van somewhere. :2cents:

Yeah, basically my thoughts. I'm lucky to have good insurance through my dad's work, but if they ever decide to drop us, because it's not in their best interest to pay for my health... well, suffice it to say I'd be in pretty dire straits.

Div
06-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Well the current system has its problems, but theres gotta be another way besides giving healthcare control over to the government. One of my friends dad lives in a country that uses socialized medecine and he had to wait for over a year to get an appointment.

ChildrenofSodom
06-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Well you said it yourself, not all whites have oppressed all blacks. And because of that by using just a general term as "whites" and saying they are responsible for the misfortunes of "blacks", especially in todays age where no living blacks have been slaves, is just ignorant. When he says "whites" that points the finger at you, me, and our families, even those who immigrated here long after slavery was abolished and had nothing to do with it. Why should I be expected to feel guilty over slavery?

If he said "the rich elite, politicians, african tribal leaders, spanish slave traders, and pre 1865 plantation owners are responsible for slavery and mistreatment of blacks" then he would be correct. But that message doesn't really rally people up as much as saying "white man is the devil". And what does a message like that even do? It won't make two groups of people put aside their differences and relax, it just stirs up tension between them.

(Two years ago, I would have killed someone for saying what I am about to say right now, but I guess I have changed.)

It isnt the issue of slavery that people like Reverened Wright are upset about nowadays. Its the issue of racism, explicit and implicit. Yes, slavery was awful. But once slavery was over, the white man didnt just put the black man up on his just pedastal. In the South, the ex-confederates still hated blacks. Ex-slaves were forced into wage-slavery and sharecropping for their former owners. Those blacks that moved to the cities were not allowed fine housing (most whites were suburbanizing) thus you have de facto segregation where blacks and immigrants are given the shit jobs and the shit neighborhoods. Freedmen's Bureaus were unsuccessful in enforcing equality because the South was too hellbent on 'state's rights' to pay any attention to the 13th/14th/15th amendments.

Woodrow Wilson said of Birth of a Nation 'its all so terribly true' (or something similiar.) Southerns AND Northerners hated blacks for their own reasons. The government, largely backed by the people, oppressed blacks from the end of slavery till the 1960s, when the television broadcasting of blacks being beaten-to-death in the streets finally struck a chord with the general public.

I am white, and I am not ashamed. And there were some whites who definitely helped the black effort (John Brown, Eugene Debs, FDR,etc) but for the most part, the majority of white people didnt give two shits about the average black person.

And, although I used to buy it, the whole 'just pull yourself out of your situation' mentality that Bill Cosby has advocated is very impractical. 400 years of slavery and then 100 years of wage-slavery and segregation isnt going to correct itself in 40 years by just 'ignoring race' and forgetting there was ever a problem.

And to steal a thought from Immortal Technique, a few token 'house niggers' in the public eye, doing well for themselves, does not dismiss the disproportionate amount of blacks in prison and under the poverty line.

This country has serious issues. We claim to be the freedom fighters of the world, the beacon of liberty, yet we have fought minority/womens/gays rights ever fucking step of the way throughout our history. We have supported terrorism around the world, funded revolutions, and killed millions of innocent people. Yet someone is some how a traitor for bringing up the skeletons of this nations past.

And now we hear that many of Hillary's white male supporters might shift to McCain's camp because they wont support a black man. Are you kidding me?
[/rant]

Div
06-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Lupin III vol. 4 :)

zgodt
06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
The poem "Song" by Brigit Pegeen Kelly. Over and over.

Should be right up y'all's alley. It's about a severed goat's head hanging in a tree. Singing.

Song (http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~richie/poetry/html/aupoem165.html)

Div
07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester

powerslave_85
07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
In the last couple weeks I've read:
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Stranger by Albert Camus
The Partly Cloudy Patriot and Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

All of which are fantastic.

ChildrenofSodom
07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
The Stranger by Albert Camus

"The welfare of humanity is the alibi of tyrants." :shred: :shred: :shred:

SomewhereInTime72
10-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Thread resurrection...

Also, I'm (finally) going to read all of Ovid's Metamorphoses--it's definitely something I should have under my belt, but specifically I want to get to the Orpheus and Eurydice episode, because a theater-major friend of mine asked me to consult on her upcoming production of a modern interpretation of the myth, which will be put on in the spring ('09). Should be fun. :)

I'm reading this for class now, too. It seems interesting so far.

On my own time, I finished The Jungle by Upton Sinclair a while ago, and for now I'm in the midst of Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I have a soft spot for Koontz. :D

metal_man1019
10-12-2008, 02:48 PM
The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

Not a huge Crue fan, but man I'm enjoying the book.

Sinfulsot
10-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Holy Christ, this book is awesome.

Jesus F. Christ, yes it is.

Sinfulsot
10-12-2008, 03:45 PM
In the last couple weeks I've read:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

some people say this is boring. i read it HS, thought it was alright...

Div
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
new chapters of Vinland Saga (http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/1/01/) :)

VIKINGS :axe:

edit: if you're going to read, remember to read the panels from right to left

Div
10-19-2008, 02:51 PM
The Man Who Was Thursday - G. K. Chesterson

Div
10-30-2008, 01:38 PM
The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester

Ive made three consecutive posts in this thread, c'mon lets post some books you illiterate fucks!

SomewhereInTime72
10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper.

Aeschylus' Prometheus Bound.

Edit: Unrelatedly, why do so few people read often anymore? It's weird. :eyes:

DethMaiden
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
I do a lot of reading for school, I just don't wanna post all that. Currently, Beowulf and Divided America for school, and Watchmen again for pleasure.

Also, I read lots of magazines and newspapers.

ChildrenofSodom
10-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Beowulf and Divided America also.

I'm debating whether I should finish After War: The Political Economy of Exporting Democracy. I read half of it and then did my extra credit 'book talk' with my AP Economics Teacher.

I might just start reading Tim Wise's White Like Me. A brilliant anti-racist book.

Sinfulsot
10-30-2008, 10:13 PM
When i was working in Manhat, i binge read when taking the bus or train to and from work. when i knew i was going to finish something, i'd have the next book with me so there was no gap. that was 98-00, but since then, i haven't been reading as much.

zgodt
11-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Kinda in the midst of Lilies Without by Laura Kasischke, Blood Dazzler by Patricia Smith, and Budget Travel Through Space and Time by Albert Goldbarth.

ehlpitel
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Trying to get into The Sound and the Fury.

Div
11-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Player Piano - Kurt Vonnegut

also, lol:
http://themediumatrutgers.googlepages.com/110508.pdf
http://themediumatrutgers.googlepages.com/111208.pdf

Derelict
11-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Finally finished Zinn's People's History of the US, that was very enjoyable

DethMaiden
11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm halfway through the first six collections of Brian K. Vaughan's Ex Machina. Really good stuff.

Then I have Ayn Rand's Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, The Black Brothers' Divided America, and Alan Moore's V for Vendetta and The Killing Joke lined up. I'm going to try not to read a novel all year. Just nonfiction and graphic novels. :D

SomewhereInTime72
11-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm halfway through the first six collections of Brian K. Vaughan's Ex Machina. Really good stuff.

Then I have Ayn Rand's Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, The Black Brothers' Divided America, and Alan Moore's V for Vendetta and The Killing Joke lined up. I'm going to try not to read a novel all year. Just nonfiction and graphic novels. :D

Why.

DethMaiden
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Why.

Because I have accidentally done it for three months and maybe it will continue. Probably not as there's definitely some novels I want to read, but it'll be a while before I end up getting to them.

SomewhereInTime72
11-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Because I have accidentally done it for three months and maybe it will continue. Probably not as there's definitely some novels I want to read, but it'll be a while before I end up getting to them.

"I'm going to try to go all year without reading _____________" just seems like a bad idea to me in general. :tongue: That's just me, I guess... text junkie.

i'm going to try to go all year without reading brad's posts

Div
11-18-2008, 06:22 PM

Berserk was probably the most metal graphic novel series I've read, I hope you give that a try.

You can also go to onemanga.com (might be .org or something) and youll find plenty of decent stories (Pluto, Vinland Saga, etc.) to help you meet your year long goal.

SomewhereInTime72
11-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Berserk was probably the most metal graphic novel series I've read, I hope you give that a try.

You can also go to onemanga.com (might be .org or something) and youll find plenty of decent stories (Pluto, Vinland Saga, etc.) to help you meet your year long goal.

Haha, onemanga.com is pretty good, I used to go there a lot. But it's missing an essential masterpiece by the name of Onani Master Kurosawa. :D :eyes: :eyes:

Div
11-18-2008, 06:52 PM
havent heard of that one, its not about rape is it?

SomewhereInTime72
11-18-2008, 06:59 PM
havent heard of that one, its not about rape is it?

Well, no. But Onani means masturbation.

:eyes:

:D

Div
11-18-2008, 07:24 PM
well i guess knowing that will come in handy if i ever go to japan.

SomewhereInTime72
11-18-2008, 11:27 PM
well i guess knowing that will come in handy if i ever go to japan.

hehe come in handy

Spiral_Slave
12-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Just finished reading " Damnation Game " by Clive Barker. Pretty good read.

I wanted to start " Ulysses " by James Joyce next, has anyone here read it?

SomewhereInTime72
12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm reading Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz.

After this, I'm gonna stop reading Koontz for a while. I really like his style but when you read too much by him they all start to feel the same.

DethMaiden
12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
I have like a dozen books to read over Christmas break: the first five issues of the original run of Miracleman, the first installment of Y: The Last Man, a Far Side collection with a bunch of notes by Larson that looks really good, World Without a Superman, The Joker: Greatest Stories Ever Told collection, Capitalism: The Unknown Virtue by Ayn Rand, and The Picture of Dorian Grey.

Div
12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
what happened to reading only graphic novels for a whole year? :(

DethMaiden
12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
what happened to reading only graphic novels for a whole year? :(

All but the last two are, haha. I did pretty well.

Div
12-16-2008, 01:06 PM
yeah, close enough.

i still think everyone on here should read Berserk(sorry cant find scans online, youll have to buy it, its cheap on amazon and ebay) and Vinland Saga (http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/)

SomewhereInTime72
12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
FLCL manga! :eek:

overkiller
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7796663.stm

And I'm about to vomit.

How did Sabbath put it? I believe it was "Do you want to see the pope on the end of a rope, do you think he's a fool?".

Also, Nuclear Assault had it right:

"Hang the Pope hang the Pope hang the Pope
Hang the Pope hang the Pope hang the Pope
Hang him with a fucking rope

Let's go to the Vatican, get him out of bed
Put the noose around his neck and hang him till he's fucking dead"

Edit: They changed the headline, it was originally the slightly more incendiary "Pope puts stress on 'gay threat'".

DethMaiden
12-23-2008, 08:03 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7796663.stm

And I'm about to vomit.

How did Sabbath put it? I believe it was "Do you want to see the pope on the end of a rope, do you think he's a fool?".

Also, Nuclear Assault had it right:

"Hang the Pope hang the Pope hang the Pope
Hang the Pope hang the Pope hang the Pope
Hang him with a fucking rope

Let's go to the Vatican, get him out of bed
Put the noose around his neck and hang him till he's fucking dead"

Edit: They changed the headline, it was originally the slightly more incendiary "Pope puts stress on 'gay threat'".

Yeah, I read this yesterday. What a fucking douchebag.

SomewhereInTime72
12-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Only one way to strike back: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7728407.stm

ChildrenofSodom
12-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Only one way to strike back: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7728407.stm

LETS DO IT!

DethMaiden
12-25-2008, 07:45 AM
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=12795510

This is fucking well-researched and awesome. I love The Economist.

Div
12-25-2008, 01:06 PM
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=12795510

This is fucking well-researched and awesome. I love The Economist.

Just as unfit peacocks cannot grow splendid tails, so unfit people cannot sing well, dance well (for singing and dancing go together, as it were, like a horse and carriage) or play music well.

i fundamentally disagree.

there are plenty of people who can sing and dance but theyre total hacks. does that make them more "fit" than, lets say, a brilliant writer who cant sing or dance well?

you cant compare a physical trait in an animal to a psychological trait in a human. animal psychology and reductionism cant apply to traits that are specific to humans and not found in animals. not to mention that approaching everything from a reductionist viewpoint is going to give biased results because they will attribute everything to reductionism.

this is more evolutionary psychology than actual biology. sociologists spend alot of time trying to come up with reasons for behavioral phenomenon, but alot of it is based on circular logic instead of actual evidence. infact i think the social sciences are pretty arbitrary and shouldnt really be considered science at all, atleast on the same level as the life sciences.

DethMaiden
12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
i fundamentally disagree.

there are plenty of people who can sing and dance but theyre total hacks. does that make them more "fit" than, lets say, a brilliant writer who cant sing or dance well?

you cant compare a physical trait in an animal to a psychological trait in a human. animal psychology and reductionism cant apply to traits that are specific to humans and not found in animals. not to mention that approaching everything from a reductionist viewpoint is going to give biased results because they will attribute everything to reductionism.

this is more evolutionary psychology than actual biology. sociologists spend alot of time trying to come up with reasons for behavioral phenomenon, but alot of it is based on circular logic instead of actual evidence. infact i think the social sciences are pretty arbitrary and shouldnt really be considered science at all, atleast on the same level as the life sciences.

Well obviously there are weaknesses in the article and you picked a major one (who's to even say what "good" at singing means?), but I think the very idea of trying to apply evolutionary biology (or psychology, as you put it) to something as fundamental to our lives yet evolutionarily unnecessary as music is a bold step.

ChildrenofSodom
12-25-2008, 06:58 PM
infact i think the social sciences are pretty arbitrary and shouldnt really be considered science at all, atleast on the same level as the life sciences.

There goes my whole career.

Div
12-25-2008, 07:48 PM
There goes my whole career.

political science?

political science is pretty hard to find a job in, you basically have to get a doctorate to assure yourself a job, even then its not 100%, at least thats what my professor told me. go for it if thats what you want to do. its a good major if you want to get into law school or something.

ChildrenofSodom
12-25-2008, 08:01 PM
political science?

political science is pretty hard to find a job in, you basically have to get a doctorate to assure yourself a job, even then its not 100%, at least thats what my professor told me. go for it if thats what you want to do. its a good major if you want to get into law school or something.

Political science, economics, or sociology. I figure I can work either in government, for a campaign, or with a social advocacy/activist group.

zgodt
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
In the past couple days I finished the novel Eat the Document by Dana Spiotta (which is excellent), the book of poems Man and Camel by Mark Strand (which is largely mediocre), and How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer (which is good).

Tonight I started Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.

DethMaiden
01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
http://news.aol.com/article/muslim-family-kicked-off-plane/291630

Fuck the airlines. :finger2:

Maiden33
01-02-2009, 10:18 AM

I think the shocking thing is that 54% of people who voted said that the airline handled the situation appropriately.

ChildrenofSodom
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Why would a terrorist openly talk about their plot, on the plane?

Fucking xenophobia. I think it says that they were US-born, too.

Anyway....I'm reading:

What Makes a Terrorist: Economics and the Roots of Terrorism by Alan Krueger

DethMaiden
01-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I think the shocking thing is that 54% of people who voted said that the airline handled the situation appropriately.

Yeah, that pissed me off, but AOL News is pretty conservative for whatever reason.

powerslave_85
01-02-2009, 11:03 AM
After the family and Aziz were taken for questioning, the remaining 95 passengers were taken off of the plane and rescreened, along with the crew and the baggage, AirTran said.So not only did a bunch of xenophobic dipshits get these innocent people thrown off the plane, they completely inconvienienced everyone else as well. Fucking morons.

ChildrenofSodom
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
This picture speaks volumes.

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/2008_pt2/01_mohsinna.jpg

Funeral for a Pakistani immigrant who came to America when he was 8, became a citizen at 16, and died as a US Army Officer in Afghanistan.

zgodt
01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Finished Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. Fucking excellent novel.

Also finished Bad Monkeys by Mike Ruff, and a Tick graphic novel and a Thor graphic novel.

Next up: Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Sex and Science by Mary Roach, and Hot Popsicles by Charles Harper Webb. Oh, and flipping through a little book called 101 Things You Didn't Know About Shakespeare.

powerslave_85
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Next up: Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Sex and Science by Mary RoachLet me know how that is.

overkiller
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Mountain

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Read the whole first paragraph.

SomewhereInTime72
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM

LOL

mankvill
01-14-2009, 04:00 PM

I knew I should have seen it coming.

zgodt
01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Let me know how that is.

It's good. In the balance between information and entertainment, she tends to err on the side of entertainment... so when the science/history is sometimes lightweight, she makes up for it by being hysterically funny.

Two chapters worth of graphic descriptions of penis surgery, though. That I did NOT need.

ChildrenofSodom
01-16-2009, 09:46 PM
On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

Trying to cut into my library, starting with the smallest books first.

DethMaiden
01-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Twelve reasons gay marriage is wrong:

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning. Also apparently those homosexual animals have picked up some unnatural behavior.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

11) Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.

12) Civil Unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages for gays and lesbians will.

JRA
01-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Um, it comes up as a disambiguation page, I don't get it.

overkiller
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Um, it comes up as a disambiguation page, I don't get it.

Well, somebody fixed it anyway. The first paragraph of what is now this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Mountain_(Washington)) used to read:

Crystal Mountain is a ski area in the Cascade Range of Washington, the largest ski resort in the state. Primarily a day-use area, drawing skiers from the nearby Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area, Crystal Mountain has limited slopeside lodging in the form of two hotels and several rental cabins. Inside Crystal Mountain evil takes its form and commandments are reborn.

rjturtle9
01-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, somebody fixed it anyway. The first paragraph of what is now this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Mountain_(Washington)) used to read:

Crystal Mountain is a ski area in the Cascade Range of Washington, the largest ski resort in the state. Primarily a day-use area, drawing skiers from the nearby Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area, Crystal Mountain has limited slopeside lodging in the form of two hotels and several rental cabins. Inside Crystal Mountain evil takes its form and commandments are reborn.

:lol:

JRA
01-25-2009, 08:18 AM

:horns:

SomewhereInTime72
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I've been reading through Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and it's pretty freaking hilarious.

ChildrenofSodom
01-29-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm going to be reading these for my Senior Thesis paper

Time Machine by HG Wells
The Sleeper Awakes by HG Wells
The Shape of Things to Come by HG Wells.

SomewhereInTime72
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm going to be reading these for my Senior Thesis paper

Time Machine by HG Wells
The Sleeper Awakes by HG Wells
The Shape of Things to Come by HG Wells.

but how can they possibly have anything in common for you to write about :confused:

ChildrenofSodom
01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
haha.

Spiral_Slave
01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I've read The Time Machine, but I'm not a huge HG Wells fan. The Invisible Man was cool though

DethMaiden
01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
My senior thesis, for the record, is going to be about the undergrounds inadvertently created by the prohibitions of Thatcherite England and Reagan-era America, using V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, Angels in America by Tony Kushner, and The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst. Four pages in, I'm enjoying myself to say the least.

overkiller
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
You guys are writing honors theses for high school? Do you get honors for that?

JRA
01-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Seriously, so much for the "education is getting worse" argument.

DethMaiden
01-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Well, we're both in the Honors English program at the high school and have been all four years, but our teacher said apparently when all the students get to college they find that what they're expected to write is much easier than what we have to do for him.

SomewhereInTime72
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't even remember what I wrote my thesis about. :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah. Supposedly our school is pretty top notch. I think its easy.

powerslave_85
01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
The Wordy Shipmates, by Sarah Vowell (in audiobook form, because I love her voice)

overkiller
01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Err, my post should've said:

You guys are writing senior theses for high school? Do you get honors for that?

Not that it changes much, but what I actually said was just kind of pointless. :eyes:

DethMaiden
01-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Err, my post should've said:

Not that it changes much, but what I actually said was just kind of pointless. :eyes:

My answer is the same. :D

Sinfulsot
01-30-2009, 10:35 AM

yes, but how is everyone's geography?

ChildrenofSodom
01-30-2009, 10:49 AM
yes, but how is everyone's geography?

Mines great. Dont know about the Air Force, though. :tp:

Div
01-30-2009, 12:01 PM
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6316/1187906761572ue6.png

Sinfulsot
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
i learned more geography playing risk than being a student of the nyc eduKation system

ChildrenofSodom
01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
'War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography.' -Ambrose Bierce

powerslave_85
01-30-2009, 09:53 PM
http://www.ilmatar.net/~np/hate/america.gif

ChildrenofSodom
01-31-2009, 07:53 AM
awesome

SomewhereInTime72
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/fashion/08halfmill.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

:eyes: This is such bullshit. It's almost an Onion article, but without the sarcasm. :eyes:

Crucified
02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
"Wuthering Heights" - Emily Bronte

powerslave_85
02-14-2009, 05:06 PM
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Pretty cool so far.

Div
02-14-2009, 05:13 PM
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Pretty cool so far.

a friend of mine got the audiobook and said it was pretty good

SomewhereInTime72
02-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Stephen King's "Just After Sunset"

zgodt
02-15-2009, 04:55 AM
And It Don't Stop: The Best American Hip-Hop Journalism of the Last 25 Years

SomewhereInTime72
02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I've been reading through Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and it's pretty freaking hilarious.
FUCK YEAH VENOM REFERENCE
http://img46.onemanga.com/mangas/00000076/000029545/07.jpg
FUCK YEAH :horns:

Div
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
huh, pretty interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/magazine/22wwln-q4-t.html?_r=2&ref=books

ChildrenofSodom
03-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Finished HG Wells' The Time Machine yesterday. Starting The Sleeper Awakes.

overkiller
04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Lucan's Civil War, a gigantic epic poem about the Roman civil war between Julius Caesar and Pompey the Great. It often gets hated on by scholars, but I'm really enjoying it so far, and this translation is great (if I get to it in the original Latin, it'll be later, heh). You practically have to wipe the blood off of the pages, though. :axe:

Indestructible
04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
in english were reading death of a salesman. i dont really read at my own will.

in english class why do they always give us bad books.
they should take a few months in english class to reads edgar allen poe and stephen king storys

DethMaiden
04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I am reading a lot of Oscar Wilde for my senior thesis. He's pretty subtle, some of his satire I think he's dead serious about until I re-read it. It's tough to get through because just about every sentence makes you think.

SomewhereInTime72
04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Jack Kerouac's On The Road.

Sinfulsot
04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Jack Kerouac's On The Road.

that was pretty good.

I still have to finish what i started: Debt Cures, by Kevin Trudeau

zgodt
04-09-2009, 06:52 AM
I am reading a lot of Oscar Wilde for my senior thesis. He's pretty subtle, some of his satire I think he's dead serious about until I re-read it. It's tough to get through because just about every sentence makes you think.

Oscar Wilde is the king of one-liners.

DethMaiden
04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
The first two volumes of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. This is trippy and weird and scary even by his standards.

SomewhereInTime72
04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8001644.stm

SAMUEL L JACKSON

ChildrenofSodom
04-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Still working through my senior thesis. Still have to finish The Sleeper Awakes and Men Like Gods.

LoveInSlowMotion
04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
This thread is fucking awesome. Glad to see people still love reading in this day and age.

Currently reading "I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski"

Div
04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
god bless you, mr. rosewater :D

ChildrenofSodom
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Finished book two of my HG Wells author study, The Sleeper Awakes, and I'm going to try to balance the reading of the last book, Men Like Gods, with the writing of the 20 page paper.

ChildrenofSodom
05-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Just finished the first book of the Ex Machina series. Pretty good.

SerpentineVIVIVI
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Lord of the Rings, the most metal book out there :rocker:

zgodt
05-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Slowly re-reading Dismantling the Silence by Charles Simic.

And making my way through Dzanc Books's Best of the Web 2008 anthology.

rakese
05-30-2009, 03:24 AM
For school at the moment:

Ibsen - Rosmersholm:rocker: (phew, finished on Tuesday)
some Kafka stuff

at home:

Poe's and Lovecraft's short stories

ChildrenofSodom
05-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Done with school, gonna start pushing through my summer reading list. Just started Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris.

Spiral_Slave
05-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Just got done with American Gods by Neil Gaimon, it was great, I highly recommend it. Now I'm going to start Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery 'O Connor.

The_jman
05-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Promise of the witch king -by R. A. Salvatore

ChildrenofSodom
06-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Busting through my reading list this summer. Finished Letter to a Christian Nation. I just started The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

EDIT: Scratch that. I'm going to put Art of War at the bottom of the pile. Instead, I'm going to pick up The Solitude of Self: Thinking About Elizabeth Cady Stanton by Vivian Gornick.

overkiller
06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Plutarch's Life of Brutus. Mostly reading it because it was one of Shakespeare's main classical sources for his own Julius Caesar. Plus, Plutarch is usually a fun read :D

ChildrenofSodom
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, got tired of the feminist books, so I re-started Tim Wise's White Like Me: Reflections on Race From a Priveleged Son.

Very good anti-racism book.

ChildrenofSodom
06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Book 3 of the summer-

Winter Soldier: Iraq and Afghanistan - Eyewitness Accounts of the Occupations by Iraq Veterans Against the War

mankvill
06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

DethMaiden
06-28-2009, 09:12 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529328,00.html

Spiral_Slave
06-28-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529328,00.html

Dude, he lived right by me I've seen him around town multiple times.