PDA

View Full Version : The Now Reading Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Div
04-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Schools should be gun free zones...I think thats a given. I wouldnt trust drunk co-ed party-goers with a handgun :eyes:

Usually the drunk co-ed party goers aren't the types who get a ccw. If you notice, all these mass shootings almost always take place in "gun free zones". And if anything, atleast let the teachers have a the option to carry if they're certified. You can't depend on police to help you.

JRA
04-21-2007, 10:05 AM
okay :eyes:

Let me rephrase my statement. If a Gun free zone is gonna be a gun free zone, make goddamn sure its a gun free zone, have armed security posted at the gates, searches, whatever ya gotta do. And just in case some needle-dick decides to go on a non-discriminate shooting spree, have said armed security available to bring em' down.

powerslave_85
04-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Let me rephrase my statement. If a Gun free zone is gonna be a gun free zone, make goddamn sure its a gun free zone, have armed security posted at the gates, searches, whatever ya gotta do. And just in case some needle-dick decides to go on a non-discriminate shooting spree, have said armed security available to bring em' down.
Yeah, that'd be great going to class everyday feeling like I'm entering East Berlin.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that'd be great going to class everyday feeling like I'm entering East Berlin.

haha....yeah....I think Mike would call that a "police state"

JRA
04-21-2007, 10:27 AM

And I'm sure those kids going to class that morning felt like it was just another soothing day before Whats-his-asian started shooting everybody.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2007, 10:31 AM
And I'm sure those kids going to class that morning felt like it was just another soothing day before Whats-his-asian started shooting everybody.

Maybe he ate too much bukkake.

JRA
04-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Look, the whole "armed guard" spchiel was a suggestion, I'm sure there are better ones. My point is to keep a gun free zone just that. No one has guns whether its "Bad guys" or "good guys."

powerslave_85
04-21-2007, 10:38 AM
You know what, you're right. I mean, after 9/11 we ramped up our airport security so now it's completely efficient, and now we're completely safe.

Oh, wait...

JRA
04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
You know what, you're right. I mean, after 9/11 we ramped up our airport security so now it's completely efficient, and now we're completely safe.

Oh, wait...

We're not fucking talking about airports! We're talking about a college campus unable to defend itself against gun toters!

powerslave_85
04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
We're not fucking talking about airports! We're talking about a college campus unable to defend itself against gun toters!
The point that I'm trying to make is that knee-jerk reactions to tragedies made in the name of increasing safety and security are bad ideas and don't make us any safer or more secure.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Just because some fuckhead got a hold of gun and killed some people, that doesnt mean the other 99% of law-abiding American citizens should be raped of their second amendment rights. Areas such as school should be a safe-hazen from violence and crime, but I dont want to have to be strip searched just to get an education.

JRA
04-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Just because some fuckhead got a hold of gun and killed some people, that doesnt mean the other 99% of law-abiding American citizens should be raped of their second amendment rights. Areas such as school should be a safe-hazen from violence and crime, but I dont want to have to be strip searched just to get an education.

My thoughts exactly.

powerslave_85
04-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't hear anyone but a few crazies advocating the "raping" of anyone's 2nd Amendment rights. Though it does seem that they really need to tighten the way they screen for mental illnesses when selling a gun, because it's becoming clear that the VT guy had been documented several times as needing psychiatric help, and he was able to buy one anyways.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't hear anyone but a few crazies advocating the "raping" of anyone's 2nd Amendment rights. Though it does seem that they really need to tighten the way they screen for mental illnesses when selling a gun, because it's becoming clear that the VT guy had been documented several times as needing psychiatric help, and he was able to buy one anyways.

Those few crazies control our government. :bouville:

powerslave_85
04-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Those few crazies control our government. :bouville:
:lol:

Bouville
04-21-2007, 11:35 AM
You don't read these types of discussions in the rest of the world. And guess what, this kind of things does not happen in the rest of the world. Why? because guns are heavily controlled, unlike here, where the logic is "in order to have peace, let's invade a third world country and exploit their natural resources" "in order to have peace let's have guns".

Next thing will be that some smart ass will propose the building of walls across entire neighborhoods. Yeah right, building walls solve problems.

Bouville
04-21-2007, 11:38 AM
The point that I'm trying to make is that knee-jerk reactions to tragedies made in the name of increasing safety and security are bad ideas and don't make us any safer or more secure.

Amen to that. I wonder when the US will start looking at itself the way the whole planet sees it.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Amen to that. I wonder when the US will start looking at itself the way the whole planet sees it.

Who really gives a fuck what the rest of the world thinks of US? Our founding fathers gave us the right to have guns, and I dont think that should be revoked because some liberals across the pond think it is primitive.

And I have to disagree, the rest of the is not free of crime. Remember that Russian school massacre?

And Iraq has nothing to do with gun-control. Also, the ideology of 300 million people shouldnt be generalized based on the actions and beliefs of this mediocre president.

Div
04-21-2007, 12:06 PM
You don't read these types of discussions in the rest of the world. And guess what, this kind of things does not happen in the rest of the world. Why? because guns are heavily controlled, unlike here, where the logic is "in order to have peace, let's invade a third world country and exploit their natural resources" "in order to have peace let's have guns".

Next thing will be that some smart ass will propose the building of walls across entire neighborhoods. Yeah right, building walls solve problems.

Dude, the difference is Europeans are raised to flee if someone is robbing their house, to submit to the criminal and get a cop in a bad situation and if you fight back then YOU get prosecuted. (example: woman in england is beign raped, she stabs rapist with a nail file, she is forced to pay rapists mecial bills and is charged with assault) I'd rather be shot by some crazy and atleast go down fighting back than live in a crazy backwards country that gives sympathy to criminals, and if thats the way the rest of the world wants to live then fine by me, but we do things differently here and they shouldnt be so ethnocentric when it comes to america.

And not everyone here agrees to the foriegn policy of the bush administration, but if I remember correctly the UN voted for this war. But that's off-topic.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Dude, the difference is Europeans are raised to flee if someone is robbing their house, to submit to the criminal and get a cop in a bad situation and if you fight back then YOU get prosecuted. (example: woman in england is beign raped, she stabs rapist with a nail file, she is forced to pay rapists mecial bills and is charged with assault) I'd rather be shot by some crazy and atleast go down fighting back than live in a crazy backwards country that gives sympathy to criminals, and if thats the way the rest of the world wants to live then fine by me, but we do things differently here and they shouldnt be so ethnocentric when it comes to america.

And not everyone here agrees to the foriegn policy of the bush administration, but if I remember correctly the UN voted for this war. But that's off-topic.

I am so tired of the "the rest of the world is doing it, why arent we?" mentality. This is the United States of America, not the United States of Earth.

powerslave_85
04-21-2007, 12:33 PM
they shouldnt be so ethnocentric when it comes to america.

Who really gives a fuck what the rest of the world thinks of US?
Who's really being ethnocentric?

Bouville
04-21-2007, 12:36 PM

Exactly.

Bouville
04-21-2007, 12:39 PM
In reading the arguments portrayed here, the first thing that comes to my mind is the lack of general knowledge of social theory and the like. Also the prevailing "cowboy mentality". That would be fine if it did not affected the entire planet, but it does and it threats to destroy it.

Does any of of you want me to list the atrocities sponsored by the US government?

powerslave_85
04-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Does any of of you want me to list the atrocities sponsored by the US government?I'm not sure we have enough room on the server :eyes:

Bouville
04-21-2007, 12:42 PM
I am fucking pissed, why? Because I like this country but it amazes me the stupidity of its leaders and how a bunch of people blindly follow then and/or support right wing 19th century policies.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Why not be "ethnocentric"? If I am American, then isn't it obvious that I would see the world through American eyes? What reason would I have to be an American, that sees the British or French view point just for the sake of not being ethnocentric? Who is to say that their opinion is right? Now, I am open to ideas, but I really dont like it when other countries try to tell us how to run our country.

I dont go to your job and knock the broom out of your hands, do I?

DethMaiden
04-21-2007, 12:43 PM
No country is perfect. Sure, the U.S. has a lot of fuck-ups, but so does every country. We live in a shitty world. Get over it.

Bouville
I'm not sure we have enough room on the server :eyes:

Shit, that made me laugh :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
In reading the arguments portrayed here, the first thing that comes to my mind is the lack of general knowledge of social theory and the like. Also the prevailing "cowboy mentality". That would be fine if it did not affected the entire planet, but it does and it threats to destroy it.

Does any of of you want me to list the atrocities sponsored by the US government?

Which country is completely free of tainted history? Huh? I am not saying that America is the Saint of the world, but we have it pretty fucking good here, with all our civil liberties and all. If you dont like America or its history, then leave. As redneck as that sounds, its true. We either have racist rednecks that glorify America as infallible, or we have cry-babies that say America is the great neo-Imperial Satan.

Bouville
04-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Which country is completely free of tainted history? Huh? I am not saying that America is the Saint of the world, but we have it pretty fucking good here, with all our civil liberties and all. If you dont like America or its history, then leave. As redneck as that sounds, its true. We either have racist rednecks that glorify America as infallible, or we have cry-babies that say America is the great neo-Imperial Satan.

So, when a country makes a act that affect other country, the country affected does not have a right to say anything? Not even to say, stop? Instead the country being affected has to just do what the other country says?

What is really sad that people that live in academic environments are aware of the problems but when it comes to the regular citizen is just the opposite.

And don't worry, I'll leave but after seeing Mayhem in LA!

SomewhereInTime72
04-21-2007, 02:57 PM
If you dont like America or its history, then leave. As redneck as that sounds, its true.
Actually America was founded to be able to change. If you don't like certain aspects of America you should vote against certain things and speak up about your opinions.

Oh wait, that would make you a terrorist sympathizer.

So, when a country makes a act that affect other country, the country affected does not have a right to say anything? Not even to say, stop? Instead the country being affected has to just do what the other country says?

What is really sad that people that live in academic environments are aware of the problems but when it comes to the regular citizen is just the opposite.

And don't worry, I'll leave but after seeing Mayhem in LA!

Senile old fuck!

overkiller
04-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Actually America was founded to be able to change. If you don't like certain aspects of America you should vote against certain things and speak up about your opinions.

Oh wait, that would make you a terrorist sympathizer.

:agree:

Bouville
04-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Senile old fuck!

Be nice to Pavo! :hmm:

I type really fast and sometimes my fingers cannot keep up with my super smart brain :lol:

zgodt
04-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Of all the wack-ass arguments I've seen in this thread, this one takes the cake. "We have it pretty fucking good here, with all our civil liberties and all." Wouldn't those include freedom of speech, and to petition the government for redress of grievances, and basically to complain your fucking ass off and not have to like one goddamned thing about this country if you don't want to, and the freedom to be as loud as you want about the things that upset you?

If you're so unhappy about the fact that Americans have the right to bitch and moan about their country being (for the sake of argument) "the great neo-Imperial Satan," then why don't you leave. You might like North Korea.

Bouville
04-21-2007, 04:38 PM
If you're so unhappy about the fact that Americans have the right to bitch and moan about their country being (for the sake of argument) "the great neo-Imperial Satan," then why don't you leave. You might like North Korea.

I'll make sure he sees Mayhem before he leaves.

Div
04-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not "right wing" so don't stereotype me as such. If you want to know I'm more of a Libertarian border line anarchist. I don't support the governments atrocities and I don't support the war in iraq, but Ill be damned if my personal liberties (aka the bill of rights - which thanks to the current government and the ingorant fucks who support it is pretty much null and void) have to suffer for the sake of some gun-ignorant panzies who want to mimic europe. The second amendment is the last line of defence for keeping the government in check. Who do you think is going to stand up against the government if they get out of control? Gun owners thats who. But if you go and ban thier guns then you're on your own. Like I said, people need to stop being ethnocentric and thinking "oh well i dont need a gun in my life, so i dont see a reason why anyone else should have one".

Anyway, back on topic.

So basically you have two choices about how to solve the issue of another shooting spree. Either turn the campus into a prison, or let teachers or students have the choice of carrying a gun if they have a ccw. Go ahead, pick the one you want.

overkiller
04-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Like I said, people need to stop being ethnocentric and thinking "oh well i dont need a gun in my life, so i dont see a reason why anyone else should have one".

Just as a point of clarity, I think you mean egocentric.

Div
04-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Just as a point of clarity, I think you mean egocentric.

Yea that works better, oops :cool:

SomewhereInTime72
04-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Ill be damned if my personal liberties (aka the bill of rights - which thanks to the current government and the ingorant fucks who support it is pretty much null and void) have to suffer for the sake of some gun-ignorant panzies who want to mimic europe. The second amendment is the last line of defence for keeping the government in check. Who do you think is going to stand up against the government if they get out of control? Gun owners thats who.

The gun-ignorant pansies may be on to something, gun-free countries in Europe have significantly lower gun deaths than the united states. That has to count for something. Also in terms of keeping the government in check.... I'm pretty sure that in those countries, authority figures, such as cops etc., are not allowed to carry a gun as well. And in my opinion the only forseeable time Americans would want to take action against the government would not occur with a government that has moved to get rid of guns (but thats another story so I wont get into it :eyes: )

ChildrenofSodom
04-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Of all the wack-ass arguments I've seen in this thread, this one takes the cake. "We have it pretty fucking good here, with all our civil liberties and all." Wouldn't those include freedom of speech, and to petition the government for redress of grievances, and basically to complain your fucking ass off and not have to like one goddamned thing about this country if you don't want to, and the freedom to be as loud as you want about the things that upset you?

I am not advocating taking away anyones rights. I am just making an observation that by bitching about America, and how we kill and rape everything we touch, and how we are neo-imperialist pigs looking to destroy all minority countries, etc....you are using one of those great American liberties; freedom of speech. I wont say if that is right or wrong, but I will that dissent is the purest form of patriotism.

I believe I said earlier that I am aware of many of the US atrocities, Banana Republics, False-Flag Operations, etc.....But I am in love with the idea of America; in which you can do whatever you want (kinda), you can become whatever you want, and you can think whatever you want. Bill O'Reilly may say you are wrong and demand your rights be revoked, but in the end they cant legally do that...Because you are protected by a 200+ year old document that gave you the promise of a near-perfect life, free from persecution. Politicians have come and gone, and some still linger, saying that because you are a communist or a terrorist, you shouldnt have rights. But in the end, those people die out, and the idea of this great country survives. All the presidents and politicians can fuck with and defy the constitution, declare any war, kill any people, etc (all of which are atrocitiest and should be stopped), but nothing can suppress the idea that we as human beings are free to say whatever we want, do whatever we want, write anything we want, own anything we want, and pray to any god we want....And that is what I mean when I say that I love America.

zgodt
04-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I am not advocating taking away anyones rights. I am just making an observation that by bitching about America, and how we kill and rape everything we touch, and how we are neo-imperialist pigs looking to destroy all minority countries, etc....you are using one of those great American liberties; freedom of speech. I wont say if that is right or wrong, but I will that dissent is the purest form of patriotism.

I believe I said earlier that I am aware of many of the US atrocities, Banana Republics, False-Flag Operations, etc.....But I am in love with the idea of America; in which you can do whatever you want (kinda), you can become whatever you want, and you can think whatever you want. Bill O'Reilly may say you are wrong and demand your rights be revoked, but in the end they cant legally do that...Because you are protected by a 200+ year old document that gave you the promise of a near-perfect life, free from persecution. Politicians have come and gone, and some still linger, saying that because you are a communist or a terrorist, you shouldnt have rights. But in the end, those people die out, and the idea of this great country survives. All the presidents and politicians can fuck with and defy the constitution, declare any war, kill any people, etc (all of which are atrocitiest and should be stopped), but nothing can suppress the idea that we as human beings are free to say whatever we want, do whatever we want, write anything we want, own anything we want, and pray to any god we want....And that is what I mean when I say that I love America.
Who here ever said they don't love America? When you proclaim to me the beauties of freedom of speech, you're preaching to the choir, pal. But you are wrong about something. A 200-year-old document doesn't protect shit. The only reason redbaiters die out, and lynch mobs die out, and injustices are righted, and bigotry overcome, and in fact the only reason any of our constitutional rights are ever preserved is because people over and over have dissented against the powerful interests who continually try to revoke those rights. Your freedoms these days owe a lot more to groups like the ACLU than they do to Thomas Jefferson. Most of the time people who give you shit like "love it or leave it" are those who love blind obedience to flags and anthems and slogans like "liberty and justice for all" but don't give two shits about genuine liberty and justice for all.

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2007, 03:16 PM
"i love america" speech unrelated to discussion

sup dude?

Div
04-23-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.ninjapirate.com/newcomputer.html

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Who here ever said they don't love America? When you proclaim to me the beauties of freedom of speech, you're preaching to the choir, pal. But you are wrong about something. A 200-year-old document doesn't protect shit. The only reason redbaiters die out, and lynch mobs die out, and injustices are righted, and bigotry overcome, and in fact the only reason any of our constitutional rights are ever preserved is because people over and over have dissented against the powerful interests who continually try to revoke those rights. Your freedoms these days owe a lot more to groups like the ACLU than they do to Thomas Jefferson. Most of the time people who give you shit like "love it or leave it" are those who love blind obedience to flags and anthems and slogans like "liberty and justice for all" but don't give two shits about genuine liberty and justice for all.

Thats very true...I used to read alot of right-wing pundits a few years ago, that bashed the ACLU and other groups like that, whilst waving their flags and banners and pulling the wool over their countrymen's eyes. I now know how fucked up their minds are. I genuinely believe that the constitution gives us rights that hadn't been necessarily granted until the past century. That piece of paper gives us so much, but without the work of civil rights leaders, women's suffrage leaders, 20th century liberals, ACLU, etc....the government would completely side step those rights (voting and Jim Crow Laws, freedom of speech and Sedition Acts)....Over the past few months, I have become less of a "USA! USAS!" advocate, and more of a "NO GOVERNMENT CAN, RESTRICT THE RIGHTS OF MAN!" Mine eyes have been open, I realize that as long as I have my freedoms, I dont care which flag flies in front of my post-office.....And I dont really think anyone here hates America, but when you say that America has done bad things, you are exercising the first good thing that we did do; guarantee the right to say whatever the fuck you want...And GODDAMIT, saying "TO HELL WITH AMERICA" is as American as it gets :usa:

And yes, I think that America will someday fall, tyrants will rise again, and despair will plague the earth, but eventually common sense, common deceny, and the urge for man's natural rights will overthrow those evils and reign supreme.

Div
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/7510/wp6xl8.jpg

Div
04-30-2007, 01:32 PM
http://files.redvsblue.com/web/images/comic/RT_Comic_Ep108_Cause.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Div
05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
http://archive.licd.com/strips/20061113.gif

i love this comic :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
05-15-2007, 03:30 PM
This summer I am either reading Brave New World, Dune, Mockingbird, or Dispossessed (any suggestions)

And I am also going to read Amusing Ourselves to Death, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and Catcher in the Rye.

ADD
05-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Anyone here a fan of the Beats? We been reading some of that in English class, and it is fucking ace. Howl by Allen Ginsberg, damnz.

MetalDrummer888
05-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Anyone here a fan of the Beats? We been reading some of that in English class, and it is fucking ace. Howl by Allen Ginsberg, damnz.

i just read that.

very . . . . gay . . . :eyes:

but its actually pretty good. Im not a huge fan of poetry, but some of it is pretty sick. I really dont like the 3rd canto of that poem . . . a pretty shitty ending for a decent poem.

DethMaiden
05-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Anne Sexton > Allen Ginsberg :dorky:

She's my favorite beat poet, you should check out 45 Mercy Street.

ADD
05-15-2007, 05:48 PM

I will thanks :)

At least now I know who created the sludge metal look :lol: Those beards man, insanity :hecho:

DethMaiden
05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
I will thanks :)

At least now I know who created the sludge metal look :lol: Those beards man, insanity :hecho:

Jason from Mouth of the Architect's beard could swallow a city. :bouville:

ADD
05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Jason from Mouth of the Architect's beard could swallow a city. :bouville:
Exactly :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
05-15-2007, 06:05 PM
RUDI IS PULLING THE 9-11 CARD ON RON PAUL..IN THE MIDDLE OF REDNECK SOUTH CAROLINA...THAT IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!

The other guys are pulling the "terrorist hate us because we are rich and democratic"..Ron Paul is saying that they hate us because we are meddling in their business..

STAND TALL RON FUCKING PAUL

zgodt
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Anne Sexton is not a Beat poet. :hecho:

Allen Ginsberg prior to 1960 is really good. Especially "Howl," Part 1. (Part 2 is awful, Part 3 is okay).

After 1960 he got all sucky.

Most of the Beat poets were very, very bad. Ginsberg had his good few years, and Gary Snyder is ace, and Gregory Corso had some nice poems, and Diane DiPrima was decent, and Anne Waldman is cool. Other than that it's really just "the whole boatload of sensitive bullshit," to borrow one of my favorite phrases from Ginsberg.

Having established all this, I am comfortable with the equation Anne Sexton > Allen Ginsberg, although it's a very weird comparison. :)

MetalDrummer888
05-15-2007, 08:29 PM
RUDI IS PULLING THE 9-11 CARD ON RON PAUL..IN THE MIDDLE OF REDNECK SOUTH CAROLINA...THAT IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!

it may work in South Carolina, but in places with sane people it will sound like the gibberish that it is.

SomewhereInTime72
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
it may work in South Carolina, but in places with sane people it will sound like the gibberish that it is.

Too bad thats not most of America. :eyes:

DethMaiden
05-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Anne Sexton is not a Beat poet. :hecho:

Allen Ginsberg prior to 1960 is really good. Especially "Howl," Part 1. (Part 2 is awful, Part 3 is okay).

After 1960 he got all sucky.

Most of the Beat poets were very, very bad. Ginsberg had his good few years, and Gary Snyder is ace, and Gregory Corso had some nice poems, and Diane DiPrima was decent, and Anne Waldman is cool. Other than that it's really just "the whole boatload of sensitive bullshit," to borrow one of my favorite phrases from Ginsberg.

Having established all this, I am comfortable with the equation Anne Sexton > Allen Ginsberg, although it's a very weird comparison. :)

Oh. What is she? :eyes:

zgodt
05-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Oh. What is she? :eyes:

She's considered a "confessional" poet, along with Sylvia Plath and Robert Lowell. :)

overkiller
05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Worthwhile conversations make me :)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/overkiller187/edumaction.jpg

Right now I'm re-reading Epictetus' The Handbook. I gotta write a few final essays for my class on the history of Western philosophy before I'm completely done with the semester, and the first one is on the Stoics vs. Machiavelli.

DethMaiden
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
She's considered a "confessional" poet, along with Sylvia Plath and Robert Lowell. :)

Ah, I've read Plath too and I could tell they were similar but I thought the style was beat. My bad.

zgodt
05-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Ah, I've read Plath too and I could tell they were similar but I thought the style was beat. My bad.

No problem. :)

For future reference, one clue that they aren't Beat is that they're both outstanding poets. ;)

DethMaiden
05-17-2007, 05:22 AM
No problem. :)

For future reference, one clue that they aren't Beat is that they're both outstanding poets. ;)

:lol: :fist:

Bouville
05-19-2007, 10:33 PM
The Concept of the Formal in Economic Anthropology - Rhoda Halperin

Div
05-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Ringworld - Larry Niven

Hmm, so this is where the idea for Halo came from...

overkiller
05-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Caesar - The Gallic War

ozz3
05-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Misery by Stephen King

:allan:

Div
05-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Hmm :cowboy:

http://www.journalof911studies.com/volume/200704/JonesWTC911SciMethod.pdf

MetalDrummer888
05-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Ringworld - Larry Niven

Hmm, so this is where the idea for Halo came from...

tell me if its any good :)

Div
05-23-2007, 06:10 PM
tell me if its any good :)

So far it is, I would def give it a read if you're into sci-fi.

Div
05-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Hah, clever.

http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comics/009.png

overkiller
06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Aeschylus - Agamemnon

JRA
06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=walmart

Damn, Maddox. What happened to you? :(

Div
06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=walmart

Damn, Maddox. What happened to you? :(

You're gonna have to go back even further for his good stuff...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=xtreme_bullshit

ChildrenofSodom
06-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

JRA
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
You're gonna have to go back even further for his good stuff...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=xtreme_bullshit

YES! :lol:

That is definitely a classic! But I was just thinking about everyone complaining about the immigrant problem in this country and it made me think of the immigration article.

Div
06-22-2007, 12:15 PM

That is definitely a classic! But I was just thinking about everyone complaining about the immigrant problem in this country and it made me think of the immigration article.

You ever see this? http://hiddenmaddox.tk/

ADD
06-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Just finished Lords Of Chaos :bouville:

JRA
06-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Just finished Lords Of Chaos :bouville:

You wanted to know about "Roadshow," right? I'd definitely reccomend it for any Neil Peart fan. It's kind of like a reality show, except of course without the HIV.

The thing that always confuses me though is if Neil is such a private guy and doesn't want anymore from his fans than a simple "thank you" for the years of music, then why does he write such long, detailed, biographies like this? I mean, he practically tells you everything in there, but I'm sure he'd be none too happy if someone went up to him and said "OMG NEIL REMEMBER TEH ST00PID NASHONAL PARQ TRIP U WENT ON LOL ?111" Seriously, he's just asking for that shit.

ADD
06-23-2007, 06:09 PM
You wanted to know about "Roadshow," right? I'd definitely reccomend it for any Neil Peart fan. It's kind of like a reality show, except of course without the HIV.

The thing that always confuses me though is if Neil is such a private guy and doesn't want anymore from his fans than a simple "thank you" for the years of music, then why does he write such long, detailed, biographies like this? I mean, he practically tells you everything in there, but I'm sure he'd be none too happy if someone went up to him and said "OMG NEIL REMEMBER TEH ST00PID NASHONAL PARQ TRIP U WENT ON LOL ?111" Seriously, he's just asking for that shit.
Hmm, thanks. :lol:

DethMaiden
07-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Just finished A Farewell to Arms. HOLY FUCKING BLEAKNESS! Don't read that unless you're up for a rousing bout of depression.

Anyway, I'm starting Flags of Our Fathers next.

SomewhereInTime72
07-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Whispers by Dean Koontz.

zgodt
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Angry Black White Boy by Adam Mansbach

overkiller
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar... by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein. It's really funny.

SomewhereInTime72
07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070705/sc_afp/germanyscience_070705151649

Heh.

ChildrenofSodom
07-11-2007, 04:49 AM
Just finished Brave New World (loved it) now I am starting Amusing Ourselves To Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman.

What a funny last name.

Fe Maiden
07-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Deception Point by Dan Brown

zgodt
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Just finished Brave New World (loved it) now I am starting Amusing Ourselves To Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman.

What a funny last name.

Haven't read that Postman book, but I've heard great things about it. Seems like an appropriate transition, after BNW.

zgodt
07-12-2007, 04:00 PM
The Widening Spell of the Leaves by Larry Levis

The House on Boulevard St. by David Kirby

I'm not sure what I think of Levis so far, but everybody should read some David Kirby.

ChildrenofSodom
07-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Haven't read that Postman book, but I've heard great things about it. Seems like an appropriate transition, after BNW.

It just so happens I have to create a portfolio about both books, and that makes it easier, when the second book is basically an analysis of the ideas in the first book :D

SirLardsAlot
07-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Best news story ever:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070713/ap_on_fe_st/odd_robber_group_hug

SomewhereInTime72
07-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Best news story ever:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070713/ap_on_fe_st/odd_robber_group_hug

That's awesome.

SomewhereInTime72
07-15-2007, 09:00 AM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803335p1.html

:party: :party:

zgodt
07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
The Awful Rowing Toward God - Anne Sexton

DethMaiden
07-16-2007, 08:15 AM
The Awful Rowing Toward God - Anne Sexton

:fist:

powerslave_85
07-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Among the Dead Cities by A.C. Grayling

It's about whether the deliberate aerial bombing of German and Japanese civilians during WWII should be considered a war crime, or if it was justifiable. It's a subject that my mind is pretty much made up on, but it should be an interesting read nonetheless.

JRA
07-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Among the Dead Cities by A.C. Grayling

It's about whether the deliberate aerial bombing of German and Japanese civilians during WWII should be considered a war crime, or if it was justifiable. It's a subject that my mind is pretty much made up on, but it should be an interesting read nonetheless.

By the Japanese, I'm assuming we're talking about Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

powerslave_85
07-17-2007, 06:17 PM
By the Japanese, I'm assuming we're talking about Hiroshima and Nagasaki?The death tolls in Hiroshima and Nagasaki pale in comparison to how many were killed in the fire bombings of Tokyo.

JRA
07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
The death tolls in Hiroshima and Nagasaki pale in comparison to how many were killed in the fire bombings of Tokyo.

Did the allies cause more civilian casualties with bombings than the Axis forces did?

powerslave_85
07-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Did the allies cause more civilian casualties with bombings than the Axis forces did?
I only have one rough estimate for the number of Japanese and Germans killed by aerial bombing (somewhere in the ballpark of 800,000) and no statistics for how many were killed the same way by the Axis, but my guess would be that the Allies killed more, and here's why: The Allies bombed Germany and Japan relentlessly for more than 2 years. In Germany, it was literally around the clock: the Brits bombed at night, and the Americans during the day. As the war progressed, Germany and Japan lost a great deal of their airpower, and neither ever conducted air raids on the scale that the Allies did (one reason being that neither air force had an effective, widely-used four-engined bomber). The Germans and Japanese certainly targeted civilian populations deliberately, the Blitz being the most obvious example, but like I said, their efforts were miniscule compared to the aerial onslaught that we and the British put forth.

Interestingly enough, American bombers almost never deliberately bombed civilian areas in Germany; that was almost exclusively done by the British. We did, however, use that tactic a lot with Japan.

DethMaiden
07-17-2007, 07:00 PM
I only have one rough estimate for the number of Japanese and Germans killed by aerial bombing (somewhere in the ballpark of 800,000) and no statistics for how many were killed the same way by the Axis, but my guess would be that the Allies killed more, and here's why: The Allies bombed Germany and Japan relentlessly for more than 2 years. In Germany, it was literally around the clock: the Brits bombed at night, and the Americans during the day. As the war progressed, Germany and Japan lost a great deal of their airpower, and neither ever conducted air raids on the scale that the Allies did (one reason being that neither air force had an effective, widely-used four-engined bomber). The Germans and Japanese certainly targeted civilian populations deliberately, the Blitz being the most obvious example, but like I said, their efforts were miniscule compared to the aerial onslaught that we and the British put forth.

Interestingly enough, American bombers almost never deliberately bombed civilian areas in Germany; that was almost exclusively done by the British. We did, however, use that tactic a lot with Japan.

However, wasn't World War II a far more justifiable war in which such pseudo-atrocities just might have been considered necessary compared to, say, Vietnam or the War in Iraq?

powerslave_85
07-17-2007, 07:29 PM
However, wasn't World War II a far more justifiable war in which such pseudo-atrocities just might have been considered necessary compared to, say, Vietnam or the War in Iraq?I don't really know what's "pseudo" about deliberately and systematically murdering civilians, regardless of which side was doing it. Let's be clear: the bombing of the civilian centers of Dresden, Cologne, Hamburg, and other cities was not done with any strategic military goal in mind. This is not an opinion or even a theory; it was openly stated by British and American military officials. Those cities were annihilated solely to drain the moral of the German people by killing as many people as possible. It could be argued that Berlin and Tokyo are slightly different cases, since they contained many important governmental and military installations, but parts of those cities that were entirely composed of civilians were bombed as well. I'm willing to concede that perhaps the accidental killing of innocent people in a war such as WWII is a bit easier to stomach than in, say, a Vietnam or Iraq type of war, but reducing entire cities to ash merely to cause fear among the civilian population is not something that any civilized nation should ever take part in.

DreamEvil001
07-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Let's be clear: the bombing of the civilian centers of Dresden, Cologne, Hamburg, and other cities was not done with any strategic military goal in mind. This is not an opinion or even a theory; it was openly stated by British and American military officials. Those cities were annihilated solely to drain the moral of the German people by killing as many people as possible.

isn't draining morale a strategic goal? not that I agree with population bombing, but it is a strategy that can lead to victory

powerslave_85
07-17-2007, 08:16 PM
isn't draining morale a strategic goal? not that I agree with population bombing, but it is a strategy that can lead to victory
Total bullshit. It's a pretty well known fact that Berlin, like London during the Blitz, had an upswing in morale as a result of the bombings, which can be traced to feelings of solidarity and resilience that people experience during a major crisis.

Div
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Maddox bashing the iPhone.

DethMaiden
07-18-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't really know what's "pseudo" about deliberately and systematically murdering civilians, regardless of which side was doing it. Let's be clear: the bombing of the civilian centers of Dresden, Cologne, Hamburg, and other cities was not done with any strategic military goal in mind. This is not an opinion or even a theory; it was openly stated by British and American military officials. Those cities were annihilated solely to drain the moral of the German people by killing as many people as possible. It could be argued that Berlin and Tokyo are slightly different cases, since they contained many important governmental and military installations, but parts of those cities that were entirely composed of civilians were bombed as well. I'm willing to concede that perhaps the accidental killing of innocent people in a war such as WWII is a bit easier to stomach than in, say, a Vietnam or Iraq type of war, but reducing entire cities to ash merely to cause fear among the civilian population is not something that any civilized nation should ever take part in.

Okay, you've made a lot of good points, but what does it matter now? Are we going to prosecute ourselves sixty years after the fact?

zgodt
07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Okay, you've made a lot of good points, but what does it matter now? Are we going to prosecute ourselves sixty years after the fact?

Surely it's important to understand the truth about our history?

JRA
07-18-2007, 08:45 AM

COLD CASE!!!

:party: :party:

overkiller
07-18-2007, 10:01 AM

ChildrenofSodom
07-18-2007, 12:47 PM
The mindless slaughter of innocent civilians is an atrocity, no matter which side does it. In this case, both the Axis and Allies did it. Considering we all live in nations that were on the "winning side", chances are we are only taught about the Japanese and Germans committing these acts. Remember: history is written by the victors. I dont think powerslave was demanding an apology or for us to flog ourselves over it. The past is the past. Both sides have settled their differences. We must remember the pros and cons of both sides, and take them for what they are.

If you think about it from a military standpoint, there is no surprise in the actions of the Axis and Allies. One of the keypoints in the art of war is to destroy your opponents support system, and the central force will crumble. In theory, if the German and Japanese forces were too strong to take head on, the most logical thing to do would be to bomb their civilian centers, to 1) deplete the population, 2) destroy their morale. Unfortunately for the Allies, that didnt work....Just as the bombing of London didnt work. Another way to think about it, in the case of Japan, how do you destroy an enemy that is willing to die for their cause?

From a humanitarian viewpoint, the actions of both sides were horrific. From a strategic viewpoint, the victors were the ones who could demoralize the other side quicker and drive back the other's front lines. Unfortunately, none of this applies to Vietnam or Iraq, because we were/are not fighting one distinct faction.

Worlds War suck...Lets try not to have another one.

Div
07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Well sense in war there is only strategic viewpoint, I don't see the big deal here. Germany was developing new technology that could have flipped the table, their missle program, advanced firearms, and jet engines, not to mention the atomics. They had to be knocked out of the war quickly and by any means. People often forget sometimes just how close they came to beating us.

DethMaiden
07-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Oh, definitely. I'm just saying there's no way to make anyone pay for the crime. I certainly think Americans should be made aware that their government is not infallible.

powerslave_85
07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Well sense in war there is only strategic viewpoint, I don't see the big deal here. Germany was developing new technology that could have flipped the table, their missle program, advanced firearms, and jet engines, not to mention the atomics. They had to be knocked out of the war quickly and by any means. People often forget sometimes just how close they came to beating us.
American commanders, unlike their British counterparts, were aware of the fact that smaller, strategic raids on factories, plants, railways, and industrial centers would be infinitely more effective in taking Germany out of the war. Overall, the strategic bombing campaign was not very effective because of two things: the inaccuracy of the bombing (it was called "precision bombing," but the bombs very rarely fell on their intended targets) and Germany's amazing ability to have factories up and running again within days of an attack. It was, however, extremely effective in strangling their oil supplies during the latter days of the war.

It's pretty clear to anyone with an understanding of the air campaign that it was possible to hit military and industrial targets with relatively few civilian casualites. The British were misguided in their belief that the carpet bombing of civilians would bring the country to its knees, and the results show that pretty conclusively. Besides, many of the technological achievements made by the Germans were negated by Hitler's inept management of the war (for example, his insistance that the ME-262 jet be used as a bomber instead of a fighter meant that the plane wasn't produced in time or in great enough numbers to make any real difference).

Div
07-18-2007, 06:19 PM
American commanders, unlike their British counterparts, were aware of the fact that smaller, strategic raids on factories, plants, railways, and industrial centers would be infinitely more effective in taking Germany out of the war. Overall, the strategic bombing campaign was not very effective because of two things: the inaccuracy of the bombing (it was called "precision bombing," but the bombs very rarely fell on their intended targets) and Germany's amazing ability to have factories up and running again within days of an attack. It was, however, extremely effective in strangling their oil supplies during the latter days of the war.

It's pretty clear to anyone with an understanding of the air campaign that it was possible to hit military and industrial targets with relatively few civilian casualites. The British were misguided in their belief that the carpet bombing of civilians would bring the country to its knees, and the results show that pretty conclusively. Besides, many of the technological achievements made by the Germans were negated by Hitler's inept management of the war (for example, his insistance that the ME-262 jet be used as a bomber instead of a fighter meant that the plane wasn't produced in time or in great enough numbers to make any real difference).

Then it seems that the Birtish might have just been bombing those locations out of revenge for their cities being bombed? If so that doesn't make them much better than the Russians.

ChildrenofSodom
07-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Whats so precise about precision bombing?
Whats logical about biological war?
Whats so civil about war?

JRA
07-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Whats so civil about war?

Shut up, Axl. :D

ChildrenofSodom
07-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Shut up, Axl. :D

:D Glad someone got it.

Angelripper
07-18-2007, 10:43 PM
3 more days till Deathly Hallows!

overkiller
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Euripides - Hippolytus (just finished it).

zgodt
07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
3 more days till Deathly Hallows!

Just finished re-reading Half-Blood Prince. :dorky:

powerslave_85
07-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Dorks. I'm so damned sick of hearing about Harry Potter right now.

Finished Among the Dead Cities, currently brainstorming what to read next.

SomewhereInTime72
07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm starting Brave New World.

overkiller
07-19-2007, 08:57 PM

Seriously. If anything, you should be counting down the days until Emma Watson turns 18.

:eyes:

Spiral_Slave
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Great read.

SomewhereInTime72
07-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Seriously. If anything, you should be counting down the days until Emma Watson turns 18.

Careful, she might hit you. :eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjkuefkGLR8&mode=related&search=

Great read.

Excellent :D :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
07-19-2007, 11:58 PM

Just finished that a few weeks ago. One of my favorite books.

JRA
07-20-2007, 05:47 AM

Too bad she has the sex appeal of the Olson Twins (which is nonexistant).

DethMaiden
07-20-2007, 06:32 AM

:fist:

Wait a minnit, I'm a minor too :eyes:

zgodt
07-20-2007, 06:40 AM

Finished Among the Dead Cities, currently brainstorming what to read next.

Read Harry Potter next.

DethMaiden
07-20-2007, 07:12 AM
A great Romance of Young Tigers interview. (http://boringmachines.blogspot.com/2007/01/interview-with-romance-of-young-tigers.html)

Angelripper
07-20-2007, 08:16 AM
HARRY POTTER TIME.

ChildrenofSodom
07-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Harry Potter can in Hell, just like all his other little warlock butt-buddies.

Div
07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I've never read the books, but I thought the movies were pretty good.

ADD
07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I will likely spend all of tomorrow reading 'Deathly Hallows', then go to see the Dekapitator/Devastator/Hatchet/Malicious Assault/Warbringer gig at night :D :party:

ChildrenofSodom
07-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I will likely spend all of tomorrow reading 'Deathly Hallows', then go to see the Dekapitator/Devastator/Hatchet/Malicious Assault/Warbringer gig at night :D :party:

Is tomorrow Paradox Day?

ADD
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Is tomorrow Paradox Day?

:metal:

http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/covers/Paradox.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
07-20-2007, 03:42 PM
okay? :eyes:

powerslave_85
07-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Read Harry Potter next.
No. Besides, I haven't read any of them since the 4th one, so I'd have a lot of catching up to do anyways.

SomewhereInTime72
07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Just finished that a few weeks ago. One of my favorite books.

Yeah, it was good enough to distract me into missing my bus stop on the way home. :eyes: And I'm only 3 chapters in. :tongue:

ChildrenofSodom
07-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Yeah, it was good enough to distract me into missing my bus stop on the way home. :eyes: And I'm only 3 chapters in. :tongue:

Angelripper
07-21-2007, 05:12 AM
I will spoil the ending for everyone.

Harry is really a

Wizard.

ChildrenofSodom
07-21-2007, 05:21 AM
I saw a video of a guy who got an advanced copy of the book, wrote down the page numbers when certain characters die, then stood in the middle of the book store as everyone was waiting for the release, and read off the entire list. :D Silly dorks. Its just a book...come on. :tp: Be a real man and go down to the sewers to slay some dragons.

Angelripper
07-21-2007, 05:23 AM
I saw a video of a guy who got an advanced copy of the book, wrote down the page numbers when certain characters die, then stood in the middle of the book store as everyone was waiting for the release, and read off the entire list. :D Silly dorks. Its just a book...come on. :tp: Be a real man and go down to the sewers to slay some dragons.
If he did that to me I would kill him.

But the ending to Book 7 is just gigantic. What a climax.

ChildrenofSodom
07-21-2007, 05:41 AM
If he did that to me I would kill him.

But the ending to Book 7 is just gigantic. What a climax.

But its a book....I can bang a hooker if I want a climax...and that involves very little reading.

Angelripper
07-21-2007, 07:13 AM
But its a book....I can bang a hooker if I want a climax...and that involves very little reading.
Little reading true.

But in your case, a lot of money.

ChildrenofSodom
07-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Little reading true.

Very true.

overkiller
07-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Little reading true.

pwnt

DethMaiden
07-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Eh, I don't read the Potter books, but there's got to be something about them to captivate people from every corner of the earth. Maybe I'll do a catch-up reading of them just to see how I feel about them now (I haven't read any since the third).

ChildrenofSodom
07-21-2007, 08:42 AM
I read a little of the first one, then stopped. It was after the first movie was already out, and though the movies are good, just the premise of some orphan going to a wizard school didnt seem to catch my interest.

I prefer the Lost Years of Merlin series...Or Redwall.

zgodt
07-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Just finished it. Incredible.

ADD
07-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Gah, this sucks I probably will not get to start it till Tuesday cuz I wanna read it all in one sitting :D My plan for reading it all day yesterday didn't work out sadly, at least I still got to go the thrash show at night and party though :rocker:

Div
07-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Too bad she has the sex appeal of the Olson Twins (which is nonexistant).

really? (http://www.ratatak.com/pics/olsentwins.jpg)

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Just finished it. Incredible.

I commend the Harry Potter crowd for how fast you guys read. I guess that is a positive of the fad. :fist:

powerslave_85
07-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I commend the Harry Potter crowd for how fast you guys read. I guess that is a positive of the fad. :fist:
Eh, they're just really quick reads.

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Eh, they're just really quick reads.

Eh..I know what you mean. Are they the kinds of books that they make quick reads because of easier writing style, mixed with extremely interesting/fast-moving plot? There are some books out there that you could read in one day, but they have so much to offer...You just cant put them down.

I've been on page 3 of Amusing Ourselves to Death for a week now :D

powerslave_85
07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Eh..I know what you mean. Are they the kinds of books that they make quick reads because of easier writing style, mixed with extremely interesting/fast-moving plot?Yeah, pretty much.

zgodt
07-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Eh..I know what you mean. Are they the kinds of books that they make quick reads because of easier writing style, mixed with extremely interesting/fast-moving plot? There are some books out there that you could read in one day, but they have so much to offer...You just cant put them down.

It's that, and other factors. For instance, that my wife was waiting to read my copy so I needed to finish it fast...

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
cool beans daddy-o

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2007, 08:57 PM
It's that, and other factors. For instance, that my wife was waiting to read my copy so I needed to finish it fast...

Why didnt you set her on a carpet square and read it outloud to her?

I'm sorry.

zgodt
07-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Why didnt you set her on a carpet square and read it outloud to her?

How do you know I didn't?

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2007, 09:01 PM
How do you know I didn't?

I don't.

zgodt
07-22-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't.

I didn't. But it's not a bad idea... :hmm:

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I didn't. But it's not a bad idea... :hmm:

If she gets too demanding, put her in the corner..or send her to bed without her dessert.

overkiller
07-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm going to re-start Goblet of Fire, that's as far as I ever got. :)

Oh, and I think I might've mentioned starting Herodotus - The Histories a little while back. I'm still reading that, and I will be for a pretty long time. I'm on Book 2 of 9. It's a really slow read, but totally worth it nonetheless.

ChildrenofSodom
07-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm going to re-start Goblet of Fire, that's as far as I ever got. :)

Oh, and I think I might've mentioned starting Herodotus - The Histories a little while back. I'm still reading that, and I will be for a pretty long time. I'm on Book 2 of 9. It's a really slow read, but totally worth it nonetheless.

I can only imagine the parallels you could draw.

Div
07-24-2007, 02:33 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2576/1185312166148xy4.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1185312166148xy4.jpg)

JRA
07-24-2007, 03:47 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2576/1185312166148xy4.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1185312166148xy4.jpg)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :lol:

DethMaiden
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM

The Catcher In the Rye by J.D. Salinger

ChildrenofSodom
07-24-2007, 10:35 PM

The Catcher In the Rye by J.D. Salinger

You already finish Flags of Our Fathers? :eek:

DethMaiden
07-25-2007, 07:52 AM
You already finish Flags of Our Fathers? :eek:

400 pages. One day. Seven albums.

ChildrenofSodom
07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
400 pages. One day. Seven albums.

Damnz...might have try that myself

Div
07-25-2007, 01:08 PM
listening to music while reading = dumb

ChildrenofSodom
07-25-2007, 01:09 PM

why? Its relaxing.

Div
07-25-2007, 01:12 PM
dude, trust me. doing homework with music on is not the way to go. it clutters up your mind.

overkiller
07-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Yeah, I agree. I don't understand why you'd want to compromise both your reading and your listening, unless you happen to have a great capacity for fully absorbing both simultaneously, which is unlikely.

ChildrenofSodom
07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
dude, trust me. doing homework with music on is not the way to go. it clutters up your mind.

Dude, I've done it since elementary school....and it hasnt hindered my grades yet.....In fact, all last year, I couldnt write any of my thesis papers without some form of music going on in my room. Some people need complete silence, I dont. Its not like I am listening to the lyrics or the music in depth. Its just that white noise in the background...its soothing to me. And it keeps me awake.

JRA
07-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I could understand reading to classical music, but otherwise I can't do it, too distracting.

DethMaiden
07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I agree. I don't understand why you'd want to compromise both your reading and your listening, unless you happen to have a great capacity for fully absorbing both simultaneously, which is unlikely.

It's called playing albums you've heard a million times and don't need to sit there and dissect. Besides, I don't give a fuck about Flags of Our Fathers and couldn't care less if I'm compromising my understanding of it.

zgodt
07-25-2007, 05:15 PM
The first time I ever listened to Master of Puppets, I was reading Skeleton Crew by Stephen King, and to this day I can't hear "The Thing That Should Not Be" without imagining scenes from King's story "The Mist."

In this case, I think the song made the story better and the story made the song better.

But in general, I agree it's pretty difficult to listen to music with words while also trying to read. And even more impossible to try to write while listening to music with words.

overkiller
07-25-2007, 05:16 PM
It's called playing albums you've heard a million times and don't need to sit there and dissect. Besides, I don't give a fuck about Flags of Our Fathers and couldn't care less if I'm compromising my understanding of it.

Oh, ok... background music and assigned reading are a different story, I guess. I still can't handle music while I'm reading, though.

JRA
07-25-2007, 05:20 PM
If you can read to music, more power to you. All I know is I can barely do it myself, especially with assigned reading (I am supposed to be learning something :lol:).

Div
07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19996640/

So uhh, does flying a space shuttle while drunk count as a DUI?

ChildrenofSodom
07-27-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19996640/

So uhh, does flying a space shuttle while drunk count as a DUI?

How does one run off the road in a rocket ship? Its pretty much straight up, right?

Div
07-27-2007, 05:28 PM
How does one run off the road in a rocket ship? Its pretty much straight up, right?

Yea but you gotta do a barrel roll before you leave the atmosphere.

JRA
07-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Yea but you gotta do a barrel roll before you leave the atmosphere.

SomewhereInTime72
07-27-2007, 11:21 PM
After that whole Harry Potter thing, I've moved on to Pet Sematary.

Spiral_Slave
07-28-2007, 09:12 AM
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Div
08-04-2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=473040&in_page_id=1770

wow, i wonder what kind of people would actually buy one of these orwellian hitler-mobiles.

ChildrenofSodom
08-04-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=473040&in_page_id=1770

wow, i wonder what kind of people would actually buy one of these orwellian hitler-mobiles.

Its the rise of the Nanny State. That vehicle would be useless, because if you are conscious enough to put forth the fortune this car will cost, wouldnt you be the kind of person that is more inclined to not get into a car drunk? Its well intentioned, but useless.

Div
08-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Its the rise of the Nanny State. That vehicle would be useless, because if you are conscious enough to put forth the fortune this car will cost, wouldnt you be the kind of person that is more inclined to not get into a car drunk? Its well intentioned, but useless.

Yup. It's well intentioned, but people need to re-learn personal responsibility instead of having things done for them.

Besides this multi-thousand dollar technology can be easily defeated by wearing a glove and putting tape over the camera. Not that it's even a big deal because noone who drinks would ever drive a car looking as ass ugly as that.

DethMaiden
08-04-2007, 05:50 PM

Okay, what the fuck? How is that an Orwellian Hitler-mobile? You'd feel safer if everyone on the road was potentially drunk, because that way their governments wouldn't be telling them how much they can drink before driving? I think the car is a great idea, and hopefully it can be made affordable and more widespread. If you aren't drunk, you have no reason to fear climbing in.

SomewhereInTime72
08-04-2007, 06:06 PM
You'd feel safer if everyone on the road was potentially drunk, because that way their governments wouldn't be telling them how much they can drink before driving?

Much. :)

DethMaiden
08-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Much. :)

You don't even drive, pfft. ;)

SomewhereInTime72
08-04-2007, 06:11 PM
You don't even drive, pfft. ;)

Yeah you know but with drunk bus drivers... and... train conductors... and... :eyes:

DethMaiden
08-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah you know but with drunk bus drivers... and... train conductors... and... :eyes:

You take the train? :eyes:

SomewhereInTime72
08-04-2007, 06:22 PM
You take the train? :eyes:

Dude, New York City. :eyes:

http://subway.umka.org/maps/new-york.gif

DethMaiden
08-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Dude, New York City. :eyes:

http://subway.umka.org/maps/new-york.gif

Oh, subway. I thought you meant a choo-choo.

SomewhereInTime72
08-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh, subway. I thought you meant a choo-choo.

Now I want gum, you jerk.

DethMaiden
08-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Now I want gum, you jerk.

:lol: :lol: I should post a picture of kittens again, that's how senseless our ramblings have become.

es156
08-04-2007, 07:17 PM

and space shuttle pilots.....:eyes:

Div
08-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Okay, what the fuck? How is that an Orwellian Hitler-mobile? You'd feel safer if everyone on the road was potentially drunk, because that way their governments wouldn't be telling them how much they can drink before driving? I think the car is a great idea, and hopefully it can be made affordable and more widespread. If you aren't drunk, you have no reason to fear climbing in.

Yea, and if you're not a terrorist then you have no reason to fear government wire-tapping right? Guilty until proven innocent is the way things are supposed to work here?

As long as its' a volentary option on cars its not a big deal, but once this stuff becomes madatory it will be an invasion of privacy. Hell, in Texas theyre legislating to put RFID chips in your registration stickers. I consider myself a driving enthusiast, and it would be really dissapointing to see the roads turned into overly-policed bullshit. Besides like I said, anyone who wants can easily get around it which leaves only the innocent people being the ones who have to be scrutinized by their car.

DethMaiden
08-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Yea, and if you're not a terrorist then you have no reason to fear government wire-tapping right? Guilty until proven innocent is the way things are supposed to work here?

As long as its' a volentary option on cars its not a big deal, but once this stuff becomes madatory it will be an invasion of privacy. Hell, in Texas theyre legislating to put RFID chips in your registration stickers. I consider myself a driving enthusiast, and it would be really dissapointing to see the roads turned into overly-policed bullshit. Besides like I said, anyone who wants can easily get around it which leaves only the innocent people being the ones who have to be scrutinized by their car.

I think you're making it into something it's not; no one is making these mandatory, and wire-tapping is not the same as keeping drunks off the roads.

Div
08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I think you're making it into something it's not; no one is making these mandatory, and wire-tapping is not the same as keeping drunks off the roads.

Lobbyist group M.A.D.D. is trying to make them mandatory. You'll see. First these will be made mandatory for people convicted of drunk driving (already are in some states), then they'll put them in all cars. I think rehabilitation is a better idea than having your car lock up and a cop come drag you off to jail. Noone wants to be a drunk driver, people who do it would accept treatment.

If you damage someone's property you pay for it, but trying to stop crimes before people commit them... thats where problems start. It also opens the doors for a whole slew of more devices. Smoking distracts drivers, why not put in smoke detectors? How about cell phone ring detectors? Or how about your ignition not starting if your sealbelt isnt clicked in? Did you check your tire pressure before you got in the car? How about your suspension? Gee your rear window is looking kinda dirty. Better get clearance from NASA before leaving your driveway! Besides they already have these in Australia and they don't seem to prevent shit. This system will be no more effective than the war on drugs was. These things do nothing but create criminals and make people hate the police even more.

:soapbox: /rant

es156
08-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Better get clearance from NASA before leaving your driveway!

Houston, this is es156, requesting clearance for departure, destination: the Megadeth concert in St. Louis.

Clearance granted es156, drive safely and smack a poser for us at the show.

10-4

SomewhereInTime72
08-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Lowering our absurdly high drinking age would decrease drunk driving.

es156
08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Lowering our absurdly high drinking age would decrease drunk driving.

You're kidding, right?

DreamEvil001
08-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Noone wants to be a drunk driver, people who do it would accept treatment.

ChildrenofSodom
08-05-2007, 11:34 AM
How bout this. If you are socially conscious enough to BUY the car, why dont you buy some brains and common sense enough to 1) not drive drunk, or 2) dont GET drunk.

SomewhereInTime72
08-05-2007, 03:34 PM
You're kidding, right?

Halfway at least. There are some people/studies that honestly think it would, but I am neither informed enough or involved enough to actually care. I'd like it to be true though. :tongue:

JRA
08-06-2007, 05:50 AM
http://www.tourettesguy.com/index2.html

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

SomewhereInTime72
08-06-2007, 07:09 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

DethMaiden
08-06-2007, 08:42 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

R.I.P. :snivel:

Div
08-06-2007, 09:18 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

FUCK SHIT DAMN!!!

ChildrenofSodom
08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Thats sucks.

JRA
08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Finally finished Roadshow.

ADD, go hit that shit up, son.

Div
08-06-2007, 07:02 PM
this thread should get a sticky like all the other "Now ..." threads

zgodt
08-06-2007, 08:24 PM
This weekend I read Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf. Excellent. And also badass in a way that I imagine would appeal to ya'll metalheads, since it involves several bouts of hand-to-hand combat between man and hideous monster, and lots of people getting butchered and eaten alive, and many gem-encrusted swords and coats of mail being given and taken, and so on and so forth.

Now reading: The Never-Ending by Andrew Hudgins (poems).

DethMaiden
08-06-2007, 08:26 PM
This weekend I read Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf. Excellent. And also badass in a way that I imagine would appeal to ya'll metalheads, since it involves several bouts of hand-to-hand combat between man and hideous monster, and lots of people getting butchered and eaten alive, and many gem-encrusted swords and coats of mail being given and taken, and so on and so forth.

They're making a movie :fist:

zgodt
08-06-2007, 08:26 PM
They're making a movie :fist:

I heard. :hecho:

DethMaiden
08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I heard. :hecho:

Haha, yeah, that probably won't be any good. Hollywoodization of something like that can't possibly end well.

DethMaiden
08-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Can't wait for August 28th, the new Terry Brooks, The Elves of Cintra, comes out.

Chew on this, Harry Potter, I'm gonna buy that fucker at midnight! :tongue:

zgodt
08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Haha, yeah, that probably won't be any good. Hollywoodization of something like that can't possibly end well.

It could... possibly. But it won't. :(

And even if it did, it couldn't touch the poetry.

For example, take a passage like this, from the scene of Beowulf's funeral, when he's being burnt on his pyre:

A Geat woman too sang out in grief;
with hair bound up, she unburdened herself
of her worst fears, a wild litany
of nightmare and lament; her nation invaded,
enemies on the rampage, bodies in piles,
slavery and abasement. Heaven swallowed the smoke.

That's fucking crazy. "Heaven swallowed the smoke." So simple and so matter of fact after the long description of the old lady singing and moaning out her worst fears about what's going to happen now that her country's hero is destroyed. She pours out her grief like mad, and then heaven swallowed the smoke. Yeah. Four words that pretty much tell you everything you need to know about life and death and how you and I fit into the cosmos.

Let's see the movie get that right.

Of course that's asking too much, and the wrong thing. But I'd frankly be shocked if it even gets the battles right, not to mention the sense of the culture, and of Beowulf's later life -- his kingship, aging, and the sense of loss as he goes to fight the final dragon...

But I'll probably still rent it.

DethMaiden
08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
It could... possibly. But it won't. :(

And even if it did, it couldn't touch the poetry.

For example, take a passage like this, from the scene of Beowulf's funeral, when he's being burnt on his pyre:

A Geat woman too sang out in grief;
with hair bound up, she unburdened herself
of her worst fears, a wild litany
of nightmare and lament; her nation invaded,
enemies on the rampage, bodies in piles,
slavery and abasement. Heaven swallowed the smoke.

That's fucking crazy. "Heaven swallowed the smoke." So simple and so matter of fact after the long description of the old lady singing and moaning out her worst fears about what's going to happen now that her country's hero is destroyed. She pours out her grief like mad, and then heaven swallowed the smoke. Yeah. Four words that pretty much tell you everything you need to know about life and death and how you and I fit into the cosmos.

Let's see the movie get that right.

Of course that's asking too much, and the wrong thing. But I'd frankly be shocked if it even gets the battles right, not to mention the sense of the culture, and of Beowulf's later life -- his kingship, aging, and the sense of loss as he goes to fight the final dragon...

But I'll probably still rent it.

For the same reasons, I feel that The Divine Comedy should never become a feature film.

zgodt
08-06-2007, 08:57 PM
For the same reasons, I feel that The Divine Comedy should never become a feature film.

Well, in addition, the Dante has no plot... :)

DethMaiden
08-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, in addition, the Dante has no plot... :)

:flame: :flame: :flame:

He's right though.

JRA
08-06-2007, 09:00 PM
There's already a movie of Beowulf out. It stars Christopher Lambert.

FYI: It's badass.

Div
08-06-2007, 09:21 PM
There's already a movie of Beowulf out. It stars Christopher Lambert.

FYI: It's badass.

http://www.poster.net/highlander/highlander-christopher-lambert-9912090.jpg

:rocker:

SomewhereInTime72
08-07-2007, 08:34 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2195538.ece

I can't help but giggle.

Div
08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I always knew walking was overrated.

overkiller
08-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Yes!! That translation is so wonderful. Do you have the bilingual edition with the Old English on the opposing pages? So damn cool.

zgodt
08-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes!! That translation is so wonderful. Do you have the bilingual edition with the Old English on the opposing pages? So damn cool.
Yep. Not that the original text does me any good. I can't figure out how Old English has any relationship whatsoever to modern English.

Div
08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
this is some funny shit http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Cheryl_Lindsey_Seelhoff

EDIT: its no longer funny, and i hope she dies as soon as possible.

ChildrenofSodom
08-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Beowulf and Dante > Harry Potter

overkiller
08-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Beowulf and Dante > Harry Potter

Thank you for that enlightening insight.

ChildrenofSodom
08-07-2007, 07:17 PM

Thank you for not dying. I love you Brady.

zgodt
08-07-2007, 07:38 PM
+1 :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
08-07-2007, 07:54 PM
this is some funny shit http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Cheryl_Lindsey_Seelhoff

holy shit what a bitch

zgodt
08-07-2007, 08:02 PM

Not sure I see (a) why it would be funny, or (b) why it would make you wish her to be dead.

Div
08-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Not sure I see (a) why it would be funny, or (b) why it would make you wish her to be dead.

a) funny cause of the way its written

b) because she goes around the internet saying how she wishes she aborted her son ("poured him down the sink", "stabbed him with a rusty coat hanger") just because he looked at porn. also her blog which is full of rediculous overly-dramatic nonsense.

EDIT: i realize it was one of her mindless paranoid followers who made the "wish i aborted my son" comment, so i change "she needs to die" to "her cult and everyone in it needs to die"

zgodt
08-07-2007, 09:55 PM
a) funny cause of the way its written

b) because she goes around the internet saying how she wishes she aborted her son ("poured him down the sink", "stabbed him with a rusty coat hanger") just because he looked at porn. also her blog which is full of rediculous overly-dramatic nonsense.

EDIT: i realize it was one of her mindless paranoid followers who made the "wish i aborted my son" comment, so i change "she needs to die" to "her cult and everyone in it needs to die"

To me, the writing just seems like a bunch of trite misogyny. I could see a Limbaugh-loving dittohead finding it funny, but I would've placed more faith in the likes of you. ;)

As you've noted, most of the article is not actually about Seelhoff herself, but instead about one individual who happened to post on her forums. Would it be fair to lambaste Ed on the basis of the shit I say on this forum? Would it be fair to lambaste everyone else here besides Ed? You know better than to engage in the kind of mindless generalizing that these douchebags are doing.

On top of that -- unquestionably, a mother wishing that she'd aborted her child because he's grown up to look at pornography is fucked up. However, if you read her posts, you'll see that Biting Beaver has got a lot of issues feeding into that -- not the least of which is that she understands herself to have been raped by her husband (which does indeed happen) and that she understands her porn-loving son to have been the product of that rape. If you believe what she says (and what basis do you and I have to doubt her?) then she deserves a bit more compassion and a bit less scorn.

If, however, you take what she says with a grain of salt, then there are many other cans of worms to contend with. Most obviously, why not also take what she says about regretting not having an abortion with an equal grain of salt? And/or, what is it about her mental makeup and/or her experience that leads her to believe all men are sick, woman-abusing, rapists-in-waiting? You don't come to that conclusion on the basis of a women's studies class, much less a feminist blog. Something has gone astray with her. Again, I don't see where there's a basis there to despise her. Much less to start up an internet campaign reveling in her humiliation.

Div
08-07-2007, 10:32 PM
To me, the writing just seems like a bunch of trite misogyny. I could see a Limbaugh-loving dittohead finding it funny, but I would've placed more faith in the likes of you. ;)

As you've noted, most of the article is not actually about Seelhoff herself, but instead about one individual who happened to post on her forums. Would it be fair to lambaste Ed on the basis of the shit I say on this forum? Would it be fair to lambaste everyone else here besides Ed? You know better than to engage in the kind of mindless generalizing that these douchebags are doing.

On top of that -- unquestionably, a mother wishing that she'd aborted her child because he's grown up to look at pornography is fucked up. However, if you read her posts, you'll see that Biting Beaver has got a lot of issues feeding into that -- not the least of which is that she understands herself to have been raped by her husband (which does indeed happen) and that she understands her porn-loving son to have been the product of that rape. If you believe what she says (and what basis do you and I have to doubt her?) then she deserves a bit more compassion and a bit less scorn.

If, however, you take what she says with a grain of salt, then there are many other cans of worms to contend with. Most obviously, why not also take what she says about regretting not having an abortion with an equal grain of salt? And/or, what is it about her mental makeup and/or her experience that leads her to believe all men are sick, woman-abusing, rapists-in-waiting? You don't come to that conclusion on the basis of a women's studies class, much less a feminist blog. Something has gone astray with her. Again, I don't see where there's a basis there to despise her. Much less to start up an internet campaign reveling in her humiliation.

After going to Seelhoffs website (well, the only one still working) and reading not only things she posts but her delusional fanbase posts aswell it can only be summed up with this => :hecho:

It's basically just open sexism and discrimination against males labeled as "feminism". Every problem in the world is because of men, looking at porn is just as bad as rape, the few hundred thousand people who clicked on a link to her site and killed the bandwitdth are "sexual terrorists", and the wikipedia mods who want her self-written auotbiography page removed (breach of ToS) are just oppressive male chauvinists.

The comments get even more looney than that, but basically you get the point. I'd also like to know how anonymous people automatically become males. That woman and her following are just extremist bigots (replace the word "men" in any of the writting with "jews" or something and you can see its just the same dribble racists spit out), and it's nice to see them get what was coming to em.

see for yourself: http://womensspace.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/blogging-while-female-men-win-hacking-as-sexual-terrorism/ just a bunch of baseless assumptions made on nothing but their penis envy.

iggyb387
08-07-2007, 10:36 PM
I'd also like to know how anonymous people automatically become males.

Rule 33 of the internet. When in doubt, it's a guy. :eyes:

zgodt
08-08-2007, 04:38 AM
After going to Seelhoffs website (well, the only one still working) and reading not only things she posts but her delusional fanbase posts aswell it can only be summed up with this => :hecho:

It's basically just open sexism and discrimination against males labeled as "feminism". Every problem in the world is because of men, looking at porn is just as bad as rape, the few hundred thousand people who clicked on a link to her site and killed the bandwitdth are "sexual terrorists", and the wikipedia mods who want her self-written auotbiography page removed (breach of ToS) are just oppressive male chauvinists.

The comments get even more looney than that, but basically you get the point. I'd also like to know how anonymous people automatically become males. That woman and her following are just extremist bigots (replace the word "men" in any of the writting with "jews" or something and you can see its just the same dribble racists spit out), and it's nice to see them get what was coming to em.

see for yourself: http://womensspace.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/blogging-while-female-men-win-hacking-as-sexual-terrorism/ just a bunch of baseless assumptions made on nothing but their penis envy.
I am reading and... I'm about 13 responses into the commentary and... I don't see it. Where's the wacky hatred? The phrase "sexual terrorists" may be a bit over the top, but on the other hand, there is something weird about the hackers calling their actions "raep." Other than that, I see a lot of sympathy from women who are sad their internet pal has had this ordeal. And I see posts like this:

Heart, when bad things happen, I try to do something good that I wouldnít have otherwise done. I hear about something bad happening, something done in mean spirit, and I turn around and do something good in the spirit of kindness, to put something decent back in the world. It gives me power in the face of this crap.

Hereís what I plan on doing in the next five days that I wouldnít have done if I hadnít heard about this assault on Heartís work:

1. Iím going to spend 6 hours this week volunteering at my local womenís shelter - one hour for every year Heartís spent building her site. I know they need help sorting donations and cleaning, and while I hate doing that stuff, Iím so there....
Tell me what's wrong with that? :confused:

overkiller
08-08-2007, 06:11 AM
"raep."

RAEP RAEP RAEP

Div
08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
I am reading and... I'm about 13 responses into the commentary and... I don't see it. Where's the wacky hatred? The phrase "sexual terrorists" may be a bit over the top, but on the other hand, there is something weird about the hackers calling their actions "raep." Other than that, I see a lot of sympathy from women who are sad their internet pal has had this ordeal. And I see posts like this:

Tell me what's wrong with that? :confused:

Oops, I meant to link to this one: http://womensspace.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/blogging-while-female-warning-may-trigger/

Basically theyre just doing what they do best and whine about their bandwidth being killed and how it's equal to raep and they'll never emotionally recover blah blah blah. Then a guy comes in and says its a shame that this happened to them and they somehow manage to make him out to be pro-raep. The only logic in that void of ignorance is in post 62 where a guy tells them how hypocritical they all are.

Also, to help justify my claim of extremism, this woman is apparently running for president and wants to impose a "man tax" on all males in the US. :lol:

zgodt
08-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Oops, I meant to link to this one: http://womensspace.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/blogging-while-female-warning-may-trigger/

Basically theyre just doing what they do best and whine about their bandwidth being killed and how it's equal to raep and they'll never emotionally recover blah blah blah. Then a guy comes in and says its a shame that this happened to them and they somehow manage to make him out to be pro-raep. The only logic in that void of ignorance is in post 62 where a guy tells them how hypocritical they all are.

Also, to help justify my claim of extremism, this woman is apparently running for president and wants to impose a "man tax" on all males in the US. :lol:

I guess I don't see where you get off saying this: "theyre just doing what they do best and whine." I mean, the woman is getting emails from men describing in detail how they want to rape and murder her. And her other sites did in fact get taken down because of overloaded bandwidth, meaning that her freedom of speech has been substantially constrained. You think she and her internet community should feel hunky-dory about all this?

And yeah, a few people did jump on poor Spencer a bit -- but on the other hand, pretty much everything they have to say makes sense, and post after post I agree with them that Spencer's well-intentioned post reveals him to be something of a selfish nitwit. I mean, what the fuck was he thinking, saying "I just want you to know not all men are like this"? No shit sherlock!

Anyone running on the platform of a "man tax" is obviously not expecting to get elected. She's trying to get some new ideas injected into the discourse. Nothing wrong with that. I've heard far worse ideas from bigwigs of both major parties.

And no, dude in post #62 is full of shit.

Div
08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I guess I don't see where you get off saying this: "theyre just doing what they do best and whine." I mean, the woman is getting emails from men describing in detail how they want to rape and murder her. And her other sites did in fact get taken down because of overloaded bandwidth, meaning that her freedom of speech has been substantially constrained. You think she and her internet community should feel hunky-dory about all this?

And yeah, a few people did jump on poor Spencer a bit -- but on the other hand, pretty much everything they have to say makes sense, and post after post I agree with them that Spencer's well-intentioned post reveals him to be something of a selfish nitwit. I mean, what the fuck was he thinking, saying "I just want you to know not all men are like this"? No shit sherlock!

Anyone running on the platform of a "man tax" is obviously not expecting to get elected. She's trying to get some new ideas injected into the discourse. Nothing wrong with that. I've heard far worse ideas from bigwigs of both major parties.

And no, dude in post #62 is full of shit.

Oh well, agree to disagree I guess. I still think they're just being overly-dramatic, and that only encourages the trolls even more. If they didn't spend every waking moment trying to point out possible "oppression" and got over it maybe they could enjoy their lives and not be such crotchety bitches. Women in general are not oppressed, and just because every now and then a person acts rude or has no class doesn't mean otherwise. And regardless, that beaver woman is out of her mind and should be psychologically evaluated, this whole thing started over her insane comments.

and my "they like to whine" comment is because these are the same type of people who act like this-
"he didnt hold the door open for me, men dont have any respect for women as equals!"
"hey dont belittle me by holding the door open, dont you respect that women can do things for themselves!?"

zgodt
08-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Oh well, agree to disagree I guess. I still think they're just being overly-dramatic, and that only encourages the trolls even more. If they didn't spend every waking moment trying to point out possible "oppression" and got over it maybe they could enjoy their lives and not be such crotchety bitches. Women in general are not oppressed, and just because every now and then a person acts rude or has no class doesn't mean otherwise. And regardless, that beaver woman is out of her mind and should be psychologically evaluated, this whole thing started over her insane comments.

and my "they like to whine" comment is because these are the same type of people who act like this-
"he didnt hold the door open for me, men dont have any respect for women as equals!"
"hey dont belittle me by holding the door open, dont you respect that women can do things for themselves!?"

Yes they are.

I agree with you about one thing: Biting Beaver has psychological issues and should probably see a therapist. Here's one place where I guess we diverge: I believe that people who think it's a good idea to torment psychologically troubled individuals are plain and simple assholes.

Div
08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes they are.

I agree with you about one thing: Biting Beaver has psychological issues and should probably see a therapist. Here's one place where I guess we diverge: I believe that people who think it's a good idea to torment psychologically troubled individuals are plain and simple assholes.

Oh, I'll agree that they're assholes, but I still think it's funny that shes getting spammed. Also, saying "women are not oppressed" was applying to the united states only, as I realize there's plenty of other places in the world that are still behind the times.