PDA

View Full Version : In Flames' old stuff is actually really fucking good

ADD
01-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah :party: I have no idea what inspired me to pop 'Colony' into my car this morning but fuck, it reminded me of the days when I was in 8th grade and I thought In Flames were the fucking shit :rocker: Listening to 'Whoracle' now..........dude, people can criticize them for the total shitbags they've become over the last several years, but the older records are borderline classic as far as melodic Death Metal goes, in my opinion.

Yay, nay?

DethMaiden
01-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Any melodic death metal with an Amott brother > any melodic death metal without an Amott brother

Bouville
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Any melodic death metal with an Amott brother > any melodic death metal without an Amott brother

Carcass > any melodic death metal with or without a pussified Amott brotter

DethMaiden
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Carcass > any melodic death metal with or without a pussified Amott brotter

Arch Enemy and Carcass are both very good bands, fool.

Bouville
01-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Arch Enemy and Carcass are both very good bands, fool.

It is not even funny to compare Carcass with Arch Enemy

And just for the record, Arch Enemy was good before Angela, not at a Carcass level of course.

overkiller
01-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah :party: I have no idea what inspired me to pop 'Colony' into my car this morning but fuck, it reminded me of the days when I was in 8th grade and I thought In Flames were the fucking shit :rocker: Listening to 'Whoracle' now..........dude, people can criticize them for the total shitbags they've become over the last several years, but the older records are borderline classic as far as melodic Death Metal goes, in my opinion.

Yay, nay?

Nay.

ADD
01-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Nay.
Could be, have to let this current quick faze die down to fully reconsider. I was prompted to post this because I haven't listened to them in I think about a year and it felt surprisingly good :party:

DreamEvil001
01-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Yay, nay?

Yay:)

Clayman, Whoracle and the 4 songs off of Colony I have are very good. I haven't really listened to Come Clarity and I've gotten very mixed opinions about it so no big opinion on new stuff.

ADD
Spiritual Beggars > Carcass + Arch Enemy

???????

ADD
Yay:)

Clayman, Whoracle and the 4 songs off of Colony I have are very good. I haven't really listened to Come Clarity and I've gotten very mixed opinions about it so no big opinion on new stuff.

You should probably get 'The Jester Race' too at some point I think.

overkiller
01-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Could be, have to let this current quick faze die down to fully reconsider. I was prompted to post this because I haven't listened to them in I think about a year and it felt surprisingly good :party:

Jester Race is an overrated but solid heavy/powerish metal album (with terrible vocals, Anders is awful). The last two albums have some goddamn catchy modern rock, don't care what anyone says. Everything else... meh.

ADD
01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Jester Race is an overrated but solid heavy/powerish metal album (with terrible vocals, Anders is awful). The last two albums have some goddamn catchy modern rock, don't care what anyone says. Everything else... meh.

So you like the last two albums better than their other shit? What. The. Fuck.

:headoff:

And how is Anders so different from the majority of the other growlers, fuck it's nothing special but neither are the majority of those type of vocalists.

overkiller
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
So you like the last two albums better than their other shit? What. The. Fuck.

:headoff:

And how is Anders so different from the majority of the other growlers, fuck it's nothing special but neither are the majority of those type of vocalists.

Scratch that, my bad, I meant Reroute to Remain and Come Clarity. Soundtrack to Your Escape was almost entirely bad.

And yeah, because the two albums I just mentioned have some degree of enjoyability--catchy, chorus-driven modern rock that sounds good to me is preferable to just bad Maiden rehashes that don't make much sense or grab me in any way. Neither is really very artful or important, but hey, I don't really listen to In Flames.

And Anders' old stuff sounds awful to me. He's like the death growl equivalent of whining. He more or less pulls off the hardcore/modern rock style well nowadays I think, though.

Maiden33
01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
I've never had a problem with In Flames' music, but the vocals have always gotten to me.
Anyway, I strongly recommend Mercenary to fans of that particular style of metal, it's basically melodic death metal, but the vocals are just as much clean as death, and the singer can sing quite well actually. Pick up "11 Dreams", tis a good album. Not particularly "up my alley" but still worth checking out for some of its great tracks.

overkiller
01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Man, NP: Episode 666, and whoever that guy I read was who said their old stuff is power metal, he was sooo right :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I hated Come Clarity (liked a few songs) but I loved Soundtrack.....

overkiller
01-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I hated Come Clarity (liked a few songs) but I loved Soundtrack.....

Figures! :dance:

ChildrenofSodom
01-23-2007, 04:32 PM

i knew it was coming :bouville:

SomewhereInTime72
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that all In Flames albums up to Colony (especially Whoracle and Colony :rocker: :rocker: ) are great. I also like Come Clarity. I really don't like the RTR and STYE :hecho: . I never stopped likin' em. It's some great stuff. :allan: :horns:

ChildrenofSodom
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Why dont you guys like STYE?

Bouville
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Spiritual Beggars > Carcass

???????

:hecho:

overkiller
01-23-2007, 04:50 PM

I only listened to it once, but it seemed to me that it had more of the nu-metal/hardcore influence than the other two "modern" IF albums. The other two have it, but they keep it in check with cool melodies and great choruses (and some baaad riffs, I'll concede that).

ChildrenofSodom
01-23-2007, 04:56 PM
I only listened to it once, but it seemed to me that it had more of the nu-metal/hardcore influence than the other two "modern" IF albums. The other two have it, but they keep it in check with cool melodies and great choruses (and some baaad riffs, I'll concede that).

eh...its isnt as 'metal' as their older stuff, but it isnt nearly as emo or metalcore as Come Clarity

SomewhereInTime72
01-23-2007, 05:00 PM
eh...its isnt as 'metal' as their older stuff, but it isnt nearly as emo or metalcore as Come Clarity

Evil In A Closet is the worst song ever. :eyes:

DethMaiden
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
In Flames in general is a pretty lame band, you guys.

MetalDrummer888
01-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Yay, nay?

wow . . . remember when i said that and you fucking bit my head off?

:eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
Evil In A Closet is the worst song ever. :eyes:

no it isnt

ChildrenofSodom
In Flames in general is a pretty lame band, you guys.

no they arent

DethMaiden
01-23-2007, 05:14 PM
In Flames aren't the worst band but I don't know why anyone would listen to them when there's so much better melodic death metal out there.

ChildrenofSodom
01-23-2007, 05:18 PM
In Flames aren't the worst band but I don't know why anyone would listen to them when there's so much better melodic death metal out there.

Who picks the best band of a genre, and only listens to that top band?....no one....closeminded people maybe.....

DethMaiden
01-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Who picks the best band of a genre, and only listens to that top band?....no one....closeminded people maybe.....

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there's a shitload of music better than In Flames within their subgenre (Carcass, At the Gates, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Bloodbath (sorta), and latter-day Dismember to name a few) that listening to In Flames is almost silly.

SomewhereInTime72

In Flames are so much better than Arch Enemy.

Okay I said it.

DethMaiden
In Flames are so much better than Arch Enemy.

Okay I said it.

MABYE IF U R GEIGH!

SomewhereInTime72
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
MABYE IF U R GEIGH!

OKAY I CHANGED MY MIND ANGELA GOSSOW IS REALLI HOT ZOMGZORZ

ChildrenofSodom
01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there's a shitload of music better than In Flames within their subgenre (Carcass, At the Gates, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Bloodbath (sorta), and latter-day Dismember to name a few) that listening to In Flames is almost silly.

so? Better is an opinion word.....

Saying someone should listen to one band over another because you like the former is silly also....

DethMaiden
01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
OKAY I CHANGED MY MIND ANGELA GOSSOW IS REALLI HOT ZOMGZORZ

THIS IS TEH ANSER!

DethMaiden
01-23-2007, 05:24 PM
so? Better is an opinion word.....

Saying someone should listen to one band over another because you like the former is silly also....

Okay, you're right, if you feel like listening to The Wiggles, listen to the fucking Wiggles. Who cares.

But I really don't like In Flames much at all.

That said, "Come Clarity" is an amazing ballad despite the emo singing.

JRA
01-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Battle Hymn > you

ChildrenofSodom
01-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Okay, you're right, if you feel like listening to The Wiggles, listen to the fucking Wiggles. Who cares.

But I really don't like In Flames much at all.

That said, "Come Clarity" is an amazing ballad despite the emo singing.

no one is talking about the Wiggles.....:eyes:

You sound very closeminded when you say band X is better than band Z, so no one should listen to them.....

zomgerz....Peter Gabriel is better than Phil Collins, no one should listen to Phil Collins....All must confrom to liking Peter Gabriel.....

I am not saying In Flames is the best band around, but they used to be and still are a good/entertaining band.....

overkiller
01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Battle Hymn > you

HAHA :fist:

FUKKEN OWNED

ADD
01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there's a shitload of music better than In Flames within their subgenre ( Dark Tranquillity, Bloodbath (sorta), and latter-day Dismember to name a few) that listening to In Flames is almost silly.

Uhh, no. :hecho:

ADD
01-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Cuz it sucks.

DethMaiden
01-24-2007, 06:08 AM
no one is talking about the Wiggles.....:eyes:

You sound very closeminded when you say band X is better than band Z, so no one should listen to them.....

zomgerz....Peter Gabriel is better than Phil Collins, no one should listen to Phil Collins....All must confrom to liking Peter Gabriel.....

I am not saying In Flames is the best band around, but they used to be and still are a good/entertaining band.....

Uh, I came over to your side with that last post, no need to continue refuting me.

DethMaiden
01-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Uhh, no. :hecho:

See above.

SirLardsAlot
01-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Yeah :party: I have no idea what inspired me to pop 'Colony' into my car this morning

You drive now?

Oh, little Addy, you're growing up too fast :(

ChildrenofSodom
01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Uh, I came over to your side with that last post, no need to continue refuting me.

Sorry for getting mad, but you can say what you will about a band...but I just cant stand it when people get elitist or 'you shouldnt listen to this band coz tehy sux' attitudes.

DethMaiden
01-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Sorry for getting mad, but you can say what you will about a band...but I just cant stand it when people get elitist or 'you shouldnt listen to this band coz tehy sux' attitudes.

Hey, I own Come Clarity, I'm not ashamed. It has moments. But they aren't a band I'd say I'm a "fan" of.

DreamEvil001
01-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey, I own Come Clarity, I'm not ashamed. It has moments. But they aren't a band I'd say I'm a "fan" of.

did you honestly start that whole argument and all you have is come clarity :tp:

ChildrenofSodom
01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
did you honestly start that whole argument and all you have is come clarity :tp:

yes he did :D

DethMaiden
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM

No, I didn't say all I had was Come Clarity. I said I have Come Clarity.

I used to RTR and STYE but I went through a "sell stuff I don't listen to much" phase a couple years ago. Don't regret those particular ones. But I could use some early IF. I've heard stuff from Whoracle and The Jester Race, it's pretty good but not hardly worth ordering.

powerslave_85
01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I only have Colony and Come Clarity. Colony is great, but Come Clarity isn't bad at all.

SomewhereInTime72
01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
yes he did :D

Oh dear. :(

JRA
01-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Oh dear. :(

It's ok, he's already being punished.:D

DethMaiden
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
It's ok, he's already being punished.:D

Unfair :snivel:

SomewhereInTime72
01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I only have Colony and Come Clarity. Colony is great, but Come Clarity isn't bad at all.

You should get Whoracle, it's a lot like Colony and just as good. :cool:

powerslave_85
01-24-2007, 06:49 PM
You should get Whoracle, it's a lot like Colony and just as good. :cool:
I'll check it out.

MetalDrummer888
01-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I'll check it out.

clayman is better :party:

EvilCheeseWedge
01-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I like In Flames. I like Come Clarity. Yeah, I think Clayman is probably my favorite album from them, but I'd be lying if I said Reroute, Soundtrack, and Clarity weren't in my car right now, because I routinely throw them into the CD player on my commutes. I don't really know what the problem is with their newer stuff. It's great live too. I saw them at Ozzfest '05 and their recent US tour (with the replacement guitarists) and even with the replacement guitarists they kicked ass. And honestly, it was the Soundtrack and Clarity sounds that had me the most pumped live.

As far as I see it...

> They wrote good albums
> They continue to write good albums
> They play good live shows

Are there better bands? Yeah, almost certainly, but sometimes it's nice to throw on a CD or go to a show and just fucking enjoy it without nitpicking it to death, and with In Flames... you can definitely do that.

ChildrenofSodom
01-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I like In Flames. I like Come Clarity. Yeah, I think Clayman is probably my favorite album from them, but I'd be lying if I said Reroute, Soundtrack, and Clarity weren't in my car right now, because I routinely throw them into the CD player on my commutes. I don't really know what the problem is with their newer stuff. It's great live too. I saw them at Ozzfest '05 and their recent US tour (with the replacement guitarists) and even with the replacement guitarists they kicked ass. And honestly, it was the Soundtrack and Clarity sounds that had me the most pumped live.

As far as I see it...

> They wrote good albums
> They continue to write good albums
> They play good live shows

Are there better bands? Yeah, almost certainly, but sometimes it's nice to throw on a CD or go to a show and just fucking enjoy it without nitpicking it to death, and with In Flames... you can definitely do that.

I saw them on both of their most recent US tours, and they kicked ass both times. They put as much energy into their old songs as they did into their new songs....:rocker:

ADD
01-29-2007, 08:29 PM
I relistened to Clayman today :snivel: :eyes: :hecho:

And I liked it!!! :headoff:

:tongue:

SomewhereInTime72
01-29-2007, 08:56 PM
I relistened to Clayman today :snivel: :eyes: :hecho:

And I liked it!!! :headoff:

:tongue:

It's a really good album if you dont go overboard on it. :horns:

ADD