PDA

View Full Version : Latest Purchases Part III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

ChildrenofSodom
11-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Bought:

Stephen Colbert---I am America (And So Can You)
Amy Goodman---Static: Government Liars, Media Cheerleaders, and the People Who Fight Back
Molly Ivins---Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental RightsT
wo pomegranates

Ordered:
Ron Paul----A Foreign Policy of Freedom

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Human_Metal
11-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Found a couple of cheap stuff today:

Metal Church - Live at Dynamo 1991 (dvd)
Hammerfall - Chapter V (5.1 audio dvd)
Black Label Society - Shot to Hell
Helloween - Light the Universe (EP)

:party:

DethMaiden
11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
The Decemberists- Picaresque
Behold...the Arctopus- Skullgrid
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band 2008 Wall Calendar
iLive iPod boombox
NBA 2K3 (PS2)

Div
11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
donated (more) money to ron paul

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
donated (more) money to ron paul
Why not just take that money and flush it down the toilet?

Div
11-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Lol, do you really want to open up that can? ;)

es156
11-05-2007, 04:24 PM

:lol:

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM

Maybe because he is tired of the same damn thing. Arent you?

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Maybe because he is tired of the same damn thing. Arent you?
Sure, but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for or support that nutcase.

SirLardsAlot
11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
DIO FOR AMERICA

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Sure, but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for or support that nutcase.

Please tell me, how is he a nutcase?

He was against the war in Iraq in 2002 (before it was popular to dissent)
He is for an immediate removal of all troops stationed in unnecessary areas.
He is against entering into entangling alliances with other nations.
He is against restriction of trade for political reasons.
He is against Nafta and other trade deals that, while making Americans rich, rapes the American people of their jobs and the poor workers in the third world of their dignity and safety.
He is against preemptive war, such as the wars in Iraq and now Iran.
He is against torture, in all forms.
He is in favor of overhauling our crippled/crippling tax system (which includes cutting spending, letting the people keep money, etc)
He is in favor of sound economic policies instead of overinflated 'paper' money.
He is against the Patriot Act and Military Commissions Act, both of which have destroyed out civil liberties, not to mention disobey the constitution, the supreme court, and international law.
He has never accepted Govt. pensions.
He has continuous voted against government regulation, because the only thing gained is more paper work while privacy, choice, freedom, and money are lost.
He always gives excess money back to the Treasury (essentially, the tax payers)
He has NEVER voted to raise taxes.
He knows why the terrorists attacked us (not for our freedoms, but because we meddle in their business) and he knows how to deal with them.
He has never accepted lobbyist money in his 30 years in the political arena.
He does not blindly follow political lines.
He says what he means and he means what he says.

How is that crazy?

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 06:01 PM
His immigration policy is lunacy.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 06:03 PM
His immigration policy is lunacy.

And what would that be?

He is in favor of cutting free education and healthcare to illegal immigrants. That just makes sense. If X American of Americans pay taxes for those services, but the services are then dispersed to X Americans PLUS unaccountable, nontax paying immigrants, the American people dont get their money's worth. There is a deficit. Why should Americans pay for the healthcare and education of nonAmericans?

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
And what would that be?

He is in favor of cutting free education and healthcare to illegal immigrants. That just makes sense. If X American of Americans pay taxes for those services, but the services are then dispersed to X Americans PLUS unaccountable, nontax paying immigrants, the American people dont get their money's worth. There is a deficit. Why should Americans pay for the healthcare and education of nonAmericans?
* Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals.
* Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.
* No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
* No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.
* End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
* Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.

End birthright citizenship? Fuck that. And "physically securing our borders" has obviously worked so well in the past! Also, notice that there are no kind of positive incentives or aids in the path to citizenship to be found there.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
End birthright citizenship? Fuck that. And "physically securing our borders" has obviously worked so well in the past! Also, notice that there are no kind of positive incentives or aids in the path to citizenship to be found there.

So, you see nothing wrong with people jumping the fence, popping out a kid, which then because a burden upon the state? If you are an American and your kid is born here, then they can become Americans. But why grant that birthright to people he have illegally come into this nation?

And the fence is in no way a central part of his plan. Our current policy of leaving the border wide fucking open and weakly slapping immigrants on the wrist as they get caught for the 4th or 5th time in a row seems to be working swell too.

And what kind of incentives should there be? If you want to come to this country, file with immigration. Become a citizen legally. What is stopping people from doing that?

ADD
11-05-2007, 06:13 PM
If you want to come to this country, file with immigration. Become a citizen legally. What is stopping people from doing that?

The fact that it takes years to do so? They need to restructure the system so that becoming a citizen is easier if they really want to do something about illegal immigration.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
The fact that it takes years to do so? They need to restructure the system so that becoming a citizen is easier if they really want to do something about illegal immigration.

And I believe Ron Paul wants to do that. But isnt his plan better than throwing your hands up in the air and saying "HOLY FUCK! I GIVE UP! Lawmakers in congress will fix it one way or another, hopefully!"

Even if you dont agree with his immigration policy, cant you support his policy of no-nation building, an end to imperialism, an end to intervention, and end to unconstitutional wars, an end to laws that destroy our civil liberties, an end to spying, an end to illegal tribunals, an end to torture. I think that illegal immigration affects far less people compared to dropping fucking bombs on innocent third world nations whose only crime was not supporting America and not surrendering oil fiels. Arent you pissed that your government lied to you? They have been bombing the Middle East for 80 years, and the terrorists finally lash out and attack us on 9/11, and what is our government's answer? Overthrow two governments, lie about WMDs, kill hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, kill 3,800 troops needlessly, and then offer to the American public another war in Iran. ARENT YOU ANGERED BY THAT?!!?

Let it not be said that we said nothing. Our leaders have thrusted us into a war without merit. They said that there were weapons, and there were none. They said Iraq caused 9/11, but it didnt. They said the mission was accomplished, yet our men and women still die needlessly everyday as our children's debt breaks record after record. Ron Paul believes, that if we didnt go around policing the world, enforcing stupid resolutions, conquering our political foes, stealing their resources, or establishing bases (in Japan, Korea, Germany ,Iraq) for geopolitical reasons, we could bring back our boys and use that money to educate and medicate every single American.

ADD
11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
And I believe Ron Paul wants to do that. But isnt his plan better than throwing your hands up in the air and saying "HOLY FUCK! I GIVE UP! Lawmakers in congress will fix it one way or another, hopefully!"

Even if you dont agree with his immigration policy, cant you support his policy of no-nation building, an end to imperialism, an end to intervention, and end to unconstitutional wars, an end to laws that destroy our civil liberties, an end to spying, an end to illegal tribunals, an end to torture. I think that illegal immigration affects far less people compared to dropping fucking bombs on innocent third world nations whose only crime was not supporting America and not surrendering oil fiels. Arent you pissed that your government lied to you? They have been bombing the Middle East for 80 years, and the terrorists finally lash out and attack us on 9/11, and what is our government's answer? Overthrow two governments, lie about WMDs, kill hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, kill 3,800 troops needlessly, and then offer to the American public another war in Iran. ARENT YOU ANGERED BY THAT?!!?

Let it not be said that we said nothing. Our leaders have thrusted us into a war without merit. They said that there were weapons, and there were none. They said Iraq caused 9/11, but it didnt. They said the mission was accomplished, yet our men and women still die needlessly everyday as our children's debt breaks record after record. Ron Paul believes, that if we didnt go around policing the world, enforcing stupid resolutions, conquering our political foes, stealing their resources, or establishing bases (in Japan, Korea, Germany ,Iraq) for geopolitical reasons, we could bring back our boys and use that money to educate and medicate every single American.

Politics rule baby :shred:

Although those are convincing arguments, I'm sure there's a good reason people aren't flocking to Ron Paul and declaring him the savior of America.

Which brings me to another point; the President of the United States functions more like the scapegoat or figurehead of the government more so than the one actually pushing the buttons, the real deal is about who gets put in the positions to make the calls. Hopefully Ron Paul or whoever gets elected picks good people to run the country.

Div
11-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't really want to get into this, cause CoS is saying everything I'd point out, and I'm in a good mood at the 3.5+ mil that he's raked in so far today. But if the immigration issue is the most important issue to decide who to elect, I think you have your priorities mixed up. Wouldn't you think that ending the war is more important? An illegal immigrant family gets 12k per baby they pop out, they're swamping our welfare system. Wouldn't you think getting rid of the FED is more important? The FED has been devaluing our dollar sense its creation. But you'd rather have our dollar end up as a peso just so some illegal mexicans don't get their feelings hurt when we tell them not to come in ilegally?

But go ahead, vote for Hillary-"I wouldn't have voted for the war if Bush didn't trick me into it"-Clinton. Girl Power!

ADD
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I hope Ron Paul or Obama wins myself. Not sure who I'm gonna vote for yet.

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Even if you dont agree with his immigration policy, cant you support his policy of no-nation building, an end to imperialism, an end to intervention, and end to unconstitutional wars, an end to laws that destroy our civil liberties, an end to spying, an end to illegal tribunals, an end to torture.
His platform and what he would realistically be able to accomplish in office (even the thought of Ron Paul making it to the White House makes me :lol: ) are two completely different things. While he's at it, he might as well promise to end racism, poverty and world hunger, because that'd be just as likely. Remember, he's still got Congress, advisers, and the Joint Chiefs to deal with in any matter regarding Iraq.

PS- Unless there's a "None of the fucking above" option on the ballot, I'm not voting next year.

ADD
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
PS- Unless there's a "None of the fucking above" option on the ballot, I'm not voting next year.

You should vote for somebody, if not just the default Independent candidate or something. My opinion is that it is worse to not vote than it is to make an uneducated vote.

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:13 PM
You should vote for somebody, if not just the default Independent candidate or something. My opinion is that it is worse to not vote than it is to make an uneducated vote.
Why should I vote for anyone who I doesn't feel represents me?

ADD
11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Why should I vote for anyone who I doesn't feel represents me?

Because you should at the least exercise your voting right that thousands of people have died for so you can have that freedom, even the freedom to choose not to vote.

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Because you should at the least exercise your voting right that thousands of people have died for so you can have that freedom, even the freedom to choose not to vote.:confused: :confused:

ADD
11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
:confused: :confused:

Ha, that's suppose to say that you should participate in the voting if nothing more than to honor and respect the thousands of dead people who fought for your right to be able to have such democratic elections, including the right not to vote if you so choose. You have the ability to choose, so just by having that choice should make you realize that voting is the right thing to do. Like when mom bakes you cookies when you're not hungry, but you eat one anyways because its the right thing to do :) :eyes:

JRA
11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Edit: Meh, my heart's just not into it anymore.

ADD
11-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Edit: Meh, my heart's just not into it anymore.
I saw that :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
His platform and what he would realistically be able to accomplish in office (even the thought of Ron Paul making it to the White House makes me :lol: ) are two completely different things. While he's at it, he might as well promise to end racism, poverty and world hunger, because that'd be just as likely. Remember, he's still got Congress, advisers, and the Joint Chiefs to deal with in any matter regarding Iraq.

So we should just give up, let the sheep vote as they wish, and continue down this path of destruction? You are basically admitting that Ron Paul has good ideas, but he has no chance of winning (a year before the election, mind you) so we shouldnt vote for him? It is the kind of hopeless, complacent, lethargic apathy that you are expressing that continues to allow the election of C-average presidents that want to conquer the world.

You are saying you would rather not vote, than vote for change? Do you think a Ron Paul presidency would be worse than a George Bush, Giuliani, or Hillary Clinton presidency?

ADD
11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Pretty fitting that in between posting and reading this discussion I've been doing my U.S. Government homework and taking my online quiz :party:

ADD
11-05-2007, 07:40 PM
So we should just give up, let the sheep vote as they wish, and continue down this path of destruction? You are basically admitting that Ron Paul has good ideas, but he has no chance of winning (a year before the election, mind you) so we shouldnt vote for him? It is the kind of hopeless, complacent, lethargic apathy that you are expresses that continues to allow the election of C-average presidents that want to conquer the world.

You are saying you would rather not vote, than vote for change? Do you think a Ron Paul presidency would be worse than a George Bush, Giuliani, or Hillary Clinton presidency?
Yeah, it sounds like Nick wants Superman to be our president or something. No one is infalliable, especially politicians, and not even the founders of this country were close to being perfect.

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd come up with a lenghty rejoinder, but I think :tp: is really all I need to say.

I will say this: Illegal immigration IS a big deal, and something I feel strongly about. And since I live about 40 miles from the Mexican border, I'd say that it has much more of an immediate effect on me than the war in Iraq does at the moment.

JRA
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I saw that :lol:

The pic has just been sitting in there for too damn long. Its like looking forward to a Chritsmas present not getting it, and then finding out 5 months later than mom forgot about in the lingerie closet. There's also the fact that I'm just completely out of Peter North jokes...well I did have one more, but it was really more of an idea for a skit entitled "Whitewashing company." Do the math.

ADD
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I'd come up with a lenghty rejoinder, but I think :tp: is really all I need to say.

I will say this: Illegal immigration IS a big deal, and something I feel strongly about. And since I live about 40 miles from the Mexican border, I'd say that it has much more of an immediate effect on me than the war in Iraq does at the moment.
No that doesn't really explain it :tongue:

I'm not into politics at all but I'm in this discussion because I think what CoS is saying is just downright practical and I'm not seeing much of any substantial rebuttal. And my cookie analogy was pretty good I thought as well :D

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM

You are advocating hopelessness and "I dont give a fuck" attitude over voting for someone other than the 'lesser of two evils.' You have no basis for argument. It doesnt even make sense......Saying No to preemptive war wasnt enough. Saying No to destroying civil liberties wasnt enough. Saying no to intrusive government wasnt enough.

Jesus Christ wasnt born in America, he can't run for president. What qualifications do you look for in a president that Ron Paul does not already meet?

[calm down...its just teh interwebz]

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm not into politics at all but I'm in this discussion because I think what CoS is saying is just downright practical and I'm not seeing much of any substantial rebuttal. And my cookie analogy was pretty good I thought as well :D

It was pretty good :D

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
The fact that I'm able to find so many faults with Ron Paul's platform without even bringing up the fact that he's a racist should tell you something.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
The fact that I'm able to find so many faults with Ron Paul's platform without even bringing up the fact that he's a racist should tell you something.

Hmm..lets see...you have yet to mention any faults...so...no.

And he isnt racist. That newsletter I assume you are referring to was not written by him. That was disproven almost a year ago. Nice try though.

NEXT

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Saying No to preemptive war wasnt enough. Saying No to destroying civil liberties wasnt enough. Saying no to intrusive government wasnt enough.I say "No" to all of those things too. Does it mean that the current state of politics in this country is going to change anytime in the near future? No. And hitching your wagon to a candidate who is so far out of the realm of the mainstream and thinking he actually has the chance to do any of those things is delusional. I take offense to your assertion that I "don't give a fuck." I care. A LOT. So much, in fact, that I'm not going to compromise the way I feel about certain issues that are important to me. The plain and simple fact is that I vehemently oppose everything he's campaigning for that doesn't have to do with the war.

Div
11-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Paul isn't as unpopular as the news says he is. He is definatley on the popularity and financial level of the other top tier canidates, and out of all the canidates Paul's supporters are the most passionate about voting for him. The fact that people not affiliated with his official campaign organized today and brought in 4 million dollars by themselves shows it. There's not much truth behind sean hannity saying "his supporters are just two hacker kids in their moms basement eating hot pockets".

Also he's not a racist. Do your homework before you slander the man. That article you brought up was written by an aid, almost 15 years ago, and Paul himself said he didn't write it and is ashamed it got published. Here's what his views on racism are.

“Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans only as members of groups and never as individuals. Racists believe that all individual who share superficial physical characteristics are alike; as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups.”

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul68.html

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I say "No" to all of those things too. Does it mean that the current state of politics in this country is going to change anytime in the near future? No. And hitching your wagon to a candidate who is so far out of the realm of the mainstream and thinking he actually has the chance to do any of those things is delusional. I take offense to your assertion that I "don't give a fuck." I care. A LOT. So much, in fact, that I'm not going to compromise the way I feel about certain issues that are important to me. The plain and simple fact is that I vehemently oppose everything he's campaigning for that doesn't have to do with the war.

Whatever dude. Go vote for who the media forecasts as the winners. Pick the lesser of two evils. You're gonna get more government encroachment, more taxes, more debt, and more war no matter which jackass you vote for. If you want more of same, then do as you please.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Also he's not a racist. Do your homework before you slander the man. That article you brought up was written by an aid, almost 15 years ago, and Paul himself said he didn't write it and is ashamed it got published. Here's what his views on racism are.

“Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans only as members of groups and never as individuals. Racists believe that all individual who share superficial physical characteristics are alike; as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups.”

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul68.html

I love that quote (an indirect quote of Ayn Rand)

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Here's a short list of reasons why I wouldn't vote for him:
-Anti-abortion
-Against foreign aid
-Against federal funding for same-sex adoptions
-Pro school prayer
-Pro "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"
-Anti-socialized medicine
-Wants to abolish FEMA, Dept. of Education, Dept. of Energy

Fuck this guy.

powerslave_85
11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Whatever dude. Go vote for who the media forecasts as the winners. Pick the lesser of two evils. You're gonna get more government encroachment, more taxes, more debt, and more war no matter which jackass you vote for.Which is exactly why I'm not voting.

Div
11-05-2007, 08:05 PM
-Anti-abortion
-Against foreign aid
-Pro school prayer

Fuck this guy.

-he wants to leave abortion up to individual states to decide, as the constitution doesnt give that power to the federal government
-thats the UNs job isnt it?
-why should gay couples get taxpayers money to adopt a kid?
-again, leave it up to states to decide
-so?
-good. i dont want or need the federal gov deciding when i need to go to the doctors and what medicine i need perscribed. the man is a doctor, he knows how the healthcare system works better than some lawyer would.
-they soak up money and dont do their jobs properly. remember new orleans? and its obvious our dept of edu is failing because our national grades keep falling more and more.

in short, its never a good idea to give the federal gov (basically just another corporation) legal rights over your personal life.

es156
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM
-Anti-abortion
-Against foreign aid
-Pro school prayer

(Hmmm, I'm beginning to like this guy. :allan:)

Now, back on topic before Ed sees all this mess!!

:deadhorse

JRA
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM
es156's: profile: Squeezing out 15-inch corn filled shit on Latest Purchases Part III @ 11:06 PM

:D

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
-Anti-abortion
-Against foreign aid
-Pro school prayer

Fuck this guy.

-He is anti-abortion, because he is a DOCTOR! And besides the point, he has already vowed to leave it up to the states to decide for themselves (which the Constitution says to do)
-He is against ALL funding for ALL adoptions.
-He is for the right to pray in school, but against schools encroaching on students rights to have freedom of and freedom from religion. (I'd like to see where you found this, please cite.)
-He has already stated that he wants to get rid of dont ask dont tell, that is where his anti-collectivist view comes in.
-We dont need socialized medicine, we need to revamp our current system. If we didnt spend a trillion dollars a year fighting a war we would have enough money to take care of our poor.
-The states already handle disaster relief and education. Why would we need greedy politicians in Washington playing politics over that?

Every issue you just mentioned deals with government being too intrusive in the states, in our lives, and in the private sector. All of those things could be dealt with by the states, companies, or the individual.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 08:11 PM
-
-why should gay couples get taxpayers money to adopt a kid?

Why should ANYONE get taxpayers money to adopt a kid?

Div
11-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Why should ANYONE get taxpayers money to adopt a kid?

exactly. (didnt mean for that to sound biggoted, wasnt intended that way)

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2007, 08:52 PM
exactly. (didnt mean for that to sound biggoted, wasnt intended that way)

Haha..I know.

Maiden33
11-06-2007, 07:16 AM
alright, time to lock this thread up. ;)

Fe Maiden
11-06-2007, 02:57 PM
MAIDEN TICKETS!!!!!!!!:bliss:

JRA
11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
AC/DC- Let There Be Rock

es156
11-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Same. :blaze:

Did you get seats or G.A.?

powerslave_85
11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Tegan & Sara- The Con (LP)

This is the third time I've bought this album :eyes: :eyes:

zgodt
11-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Tegan & Sara- The Con (LP)

This is the third time I've bought this album :eyes: :eyes:
Obsessed much? :)

powerslave_85
11-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, the first time I bought it on the day it came out, not realizing there was a limited edition that came with a DVD, so I bought that version and gave the old one to a friend. And then I wanted it on vinyl as well :D

ADD
11-06-2007, 10:41 PM

Yes :bouville:

http://store.probotmusic.com/images/products/obsessed_incarnate.jpg

ADD
11-06-2007, 10:42 PM
And I just bought the tickets for me and my brother for Clutch on Friday :allan:

Maiden33
11-07-2007, 06:54 AM

Hell yes! Cost an arm and a leg but it shall all be worth it! Now I just have to wait the wonderful 5 month wait till March 14th. :(

DethMaiden
11-07-2007, 02:15 PM
So we should just give up, let the sheep vote as they wish, and continue down this path of destruction? You are basically admitting that Ron Paul has good ideas, but he has no chance of winning (a year before the election, mind you) so we shouldnt vote for him? It is the kind of hopeless, complacent, lethargic apathy that you are expressing that continues to allow the election of C-average presidents that want to conquer the world.

I'm really late and I wasn't here during this big debate but I'd have to say that while I don't agree with EVERYTHING Ron Paul says, I like what he represents, which is essentially change and the election of someone with views ouside of the mainstream.

That said, I think I lean more with Kucinich than Paul anymore.

Fe Maiden
11-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Same. :blaze:

Did you get seats or G.A.?I got seats! I like seats. I like to see what's going on up on the stage from up above it a bit! I don't like floor much:eyes:

SomewhereInTime72
11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm really late and I wasn't here during this big debate but I'd have to say that while I don't agree with EVERYTHING Ron Paul says, I like what he represents, which is essentially change and the election of someone with views ouside of the mainstream.

That said, I think I lean more with Kucinich than Paul anymore.

Kucinich is someone who ACTUALLY doesn't have a chance.

DethMaiden
11-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Kucinich is someone who ACTUALLY doesn't have a chance.

:D Maybe because he's right on damn near everything?

Div
11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
:D Maybe because he's right on damn near everything?

gun bans = fail

DethMaiden
11-07-2007, 05:29 PM
gun bans = fail

I'm not 100% sure on his position on this but if it's what I think it is, he just wants there to be gun-free zones, not to repeal the second amendment. In that case, I fully agree with him.

Div
11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm not 100% sure on his position on this but if it's what I think it is, he just wants there to be gun-free zones, not to repeal the second amendment. In that case, I fully agree with him.

"Kucinich is currently drafting legislation that would ban the purchase, sale, transfer, or possession of handguns by civilians." :nonono:

He is pretty good on some other issues tho and I do somewhat like him. Perhaps Paul will choose him as VP when he wins :tongue:

DethMaiden
11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
"Kucinich is currently drafting legislation that would ban the purchase, sale, transfer, or possession of handguns by civilians." :nonono:

He is pretty good on some other issues tho and I do somewhat like him. Perhaps Paul will choose him as VP when he wins :tongue:

That's just handguns. You can still march around town with rifles :eyes:

The reason I'm kinda leaning towards Kucinich is because for every social issue, Paul says "Leave it to the states", whereas Kucinich says "Leave it to the states, but I'm personally liberal on the issue." Just come out and say it, Ronnie.

ADD
11-07-2007, 06:21 PM
In the final analysis, whoever gets picked as president, it doesn't really matter. Dems and Reps are so alike nowadays anyways that it doesn't make a huge much of a difference who it is.

powerslave_85
11-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I have to say that I actually like Kucinich quite a bit. He's as anti-war as Paul is, but without the batshit-insane economics and crappy domestic/social issues.

ChildrenofSodom
11-07-2007, 06:38 PM
That's just handguns. You can still march around town with rifles :eyes:

The reason I'm kinda leaning towards Kucinich is because for every social issue, Paul says "Leave it to the states", whereas Kucinich says "Leave it to the states, but I'm personally liberal on the issue." Just come out and say it, Ronnie.

But thats why I love Ron Paul...It says in the Constitution that the President cant, and shouldnt, cast his ruling over social issues. His whole policy is less government intervention. The People are smart of enough to know what is best for them, so you leave issues such as abortion, religion, gay marriage, education, etc to the lower levels of government, where they relate more to the people as they see fit. It is very sad that issues such as abortion and gay marriage have become national issues, when they should only be medical/social issues.

Think about it...you said you like Kucinich because he states where he is on issues, therefore he is likely to act as President with those opinions in mind. Would you rather have an overreaching, opinionated president (either a liberal like Kucinich or a conservative like Bush) or would you like to have an opinionated, but reserved president, who lets the people decide for themselves?

ChildrenofSodom
11-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I have to say that I actually like Kucinich quite a bit. He's as anti-war as Paul is, but without the batshit-insane economics and crappy domestic/social issues.

:tp:

powerslave_85
11-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I really don't like his handgun ban idea, obviously, but...

# The immediate, phased withdrawal of all U.S. forces from Iraq; replacing them with an international security force.
# Guaranteed quality education for all; including free pre-kindergarten and college for all who want it.
# Immediate withdrawal from the World Trade Organization (WTO) and North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
# Repealing the USA PATRIOT Act.
# Fostering a world of international cooperation.
# Abolishing the death penalty.
# Environmental renewal and clean energy.
# Preventing the privatization of social security.
# Providing full social security benefits at age 65.
# Creating a cabinet-level "Department of Peace"
# Ratifying the ABM Treaty and the Kyoto Protocol.
# Protecting a woman's right to choose while decreasing the number of abortions performed in the U.S.
# Ending the war on drugs.
# Legalizing same-sex marriage.
...all of that sounds A-OK to me. That's pretty much everything I'm looking for in a candidate.

Div
11-07-2007, 06:52 PM
In the final analysis, whoever gets picked as president, it doesn't really matter. Dems and Reps are so alike nowadays anyways that it doesn't make a huge much of a difference who it is.

This would be true 99% of the time, but I believe there are three exceptions to that in the current group running for president. Paul, Kucinich, and Gravel.

--

Speaking of Kucinich, his motion to impeach Cheney just passed the House Judicary Comittee yesterday. Atleast he stayed true to what he was elected to do unlike the rest of the democratic congress, that in itself deserves some kudos.

ChildrenofSodom
11-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Lets see:

Both Kucinich and Paul want to withdraw from WTO and Nafta
Both want immediate withdraw from Iraq
Both want the repeal of Patriot Act
Kucinich wants to ban the death penalty, Paul has stated that is is unjust because of the inequality of its application (rich/poor, white/black)
Both have stressed need for alternative resources, with Kucinich wanted environmental bills to be passed, and Paul wanting polluters to be prosecuted.
Both want to end the War on Drugs

And I am not quite sure how Paul has batty economic policies. I can see, how the two differ, though. Kucinich and liberals tend to want more government involvement for the poor. Focus ONLY on the poor. Do whatever it takes to help the poor. While Ron Paul, while still saying that he wants to help the poor and sick, has stated that by focusing only on the poor and sick, we are leaving the middle class out to dry. It comes down to the whole idea of freedom. If I dont want the government to take 10% out of my check to fund a war, pay for a space program, fund the bottomless pit known as Social Security, and, oh, by the way, here is a nickel for the poor.....then I shouldnt have to pay that. Why do nonviolent tax protestors go to jail for evading a few thousand dollars in taxes, while oil companies have to pay 0% taxes?

He is also against the Federal Reserve. Think about this (based on Austrian theories): if we had a healthy economy....wouldnt the market place control itself in regards to inflation, interest, etc etc? Why do we need a seperate entity (of rich bankers mind you) who can control the stock market with the flip of a switch? You always here on the news..."Stocks went up as dealers got news that the Fed was going to cut interest rates." Why should our economy be regulated by a third party?

powerslave_85
11-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Kucinich wants to ban the death penalty, Paul has stated that is is unjust because of the inequality of its application (rich/poor, white/black)
Yeah, but the whole reason I like Kucinich over Paul on that issue is that he wants to get rid of it all together.

Paul is rejecting things like banning same sex marriage because he wants limited government, while it seems that Kucinich wants to reject such a thing because it's the right thing to do. That's a big difference for me. Also, I just can't support anyone who's not pro-choice.

ChildrenofSodom
11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but the whole reason I like Kucinich over Paul on that issue is that he wants to get rid of it all together.

Paul is rejecting things like banning same sex marriage because he wants limited government, while it seems that Kucinich wants to reject such a thing because it's the right thing to do. That's a big difference for me. Also, I just can't support anyone who's not pro-choice.

First of all, the Constitution says how the President should act, and it doesnt mention 'bend the rules to fit your moral beliefs.' If you allow a highly opinionated president to take office (although you agree with everything he says), that means that you must equally allow an opinionated president with whom you dont agree. You see where it gets tricky?

And you are wrong, Ron Paul isnt just purely 'By the books." Additionally, when asked if he was supportive of gay marriage Paul responded "I am supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.

Again, its the issue of freedom. Why only single out gay marriage? Homosexuality and marriage are personal and private social issues that can only be dealt with by the individuals who are taking part. Sure, Ron Paul could say "Yes, I support gays." but I agree with his statement that the government shouldnt have any say in the bedroom AT ALL. And on the dont ask policy==We don't get our rights because we're gays or women or minorities. We get our rights from our Creator as individuals. So every individual should be treated the same way. So if there is homosexual behavior in the military that is disruptive, it should be dealt with. But if there's heterosexual behavior that is disruptive, it should be dealt with. So it isn't the issue of homosexuality. It's the concept and the understanding of individual rights. If we understood that, we would not be dealing with this very important problem

powerslave_85
11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
First of all, the Constitution says how the President should act, and it doesnt mention 'bend the rules to fit your moral beliefs.' If you allow a highly opinionated president to take office (although you agree with everything he says), that means that you must equally allow an opinionated president with whom you dont agree. You see where it gets tricky?I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad that past presidents passed "bent the rules to fit their moral beliefs" for things like the Civil Rights Act.

The gay marriage thing is much more complicated than just gays feeling equal. There are many financial and other benefits that come from official marriages that gays are not currently entitled to, and THAT'S what needs to change.

ChildrenofSodom
11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
And again, on abortion.....he voted no on restricting teens from traveling out of state to get abortions, because it restricted personal freedoms. He is against 'social' abortion except in the risk of death for the mother (more liberal than any other Republican I know)

Again, he says he is pro-life, but thinks that abortion should be dealt with on a state level or city level......Why should we pretend to have an omniscient leader every 4 or 8 years that is allowed to decide social issues for 300 Million people. Would smaller government (because is deals with a more specific demographic than federal) be better suited to deal with abortion? If you are going to give the president full power to grant abortion rights, then you have to grant the next president full power to create pro-life laws.

ChildrenofSodom
11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad that past presidents passed "bent the rules to fit their moral beliefs" for things like the Civil Rights Act.

The gay marriage thing is much more complicated than just gays feeling equal. There are many financial and other benefits that come from official marriages that gays are not currently entitled to, and THAT'S what needs to change.

Please elaborate on that first thing, I dont quite understand what you are getting at...

And your second part, EXACTLY! If EVERYONE was treated equal, then we wouldnt have inequality in financial benefits. If we look at everyone as American, and not gay or straight, black or white, man or woman, then everyone would be allowed to do the same thing as they saw fit. Get rid of collectivism, and we wouldnt have these problems.

powerslave_85
11-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Why only single out gay marriage? Homosexuality and marriage are personal and private social issues that can only be dealt with by the individuals who are taking part. Sure, Ron Paul could say "Yes, I support gays." but I agree with his statement that the government shouldnt have any say in the bedroom AT ALL.See? You're still missing the point. If legalizing gay marriage were a just a private issue between individuals, then there'd be no problem. But a marriage has to be legal and recognized by the state in order for the people involved to get any benefits.

ChildrenofSodom
11-07-2007, 07:29 PM
See? You're still missing the point. If legalizing gay marriage were a just a private issue between individuals, then there'd be no problem. But a marriage has to be legal and recognized by the state in order for the people involved to get any benefits.

So gay people only get married for financial reasons?

I do see what you are saying. You arent seeing what I am saying. If we got rid of all the restrictions on marriage on the basis of sexual orientation, nothing would restrict gays from receiving financial benefits. They would be equal under the law. If we look at gays the way we look at hetero couples, just as two PEOPLE, then there wouldnt be inequality in marriage.

JRA
11-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Brad, considreing you started this conversation again I think its quite fitting that I say just heard "Supper's Ready" and I think it drinks ass from a straw.

"Un Flower?!"

"Fuck you!"

Div
11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Brad, considreing you started this conversation again I think its quite fitting that I say just heard "Supper's Ready" and I think it drinks ass from a straw.

"Un Flower?!"

"Fuck you!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DethMaiden
11-08-2007, 11:59 AM

"Un Flower?!"

"Fuck you!"

Sorry there weren't any electric riffs and only one solo :tongue:

JRA
11-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry Peter Gabriel's so-called "vocal climax" was extremely lame. :tongue:

I accept your apology. ;)

DethMaiden
11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I accept your apology. ;)

WHAT!? Okay, I don't know if I can really respect your opinion if "Lord of Lords, King of Kings has returned to lead his children home/To take them to the new Jerusalem" didn't send shivers up your spine. :hmm:

I just bought the Best of the Colbert Report DVD and some pomegranate juice.

ChildrenofSodom
11-08-2007, 04:02 PM
some pomegranate juice.

:fist:

DethMaiden
11-10-2007, 07:12 AM
MAIDEN TICKETS

AHH

SomewhereInTime72
11-10-2007, 12:30 PM
MAIDEN TICKETS

AHH

:cool::cool::cool:

es156
11-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Queensr˙che tickets in Vegas, baby!

:cool:

SirLardsAlot
11-10-2007, 01:26 PM
MAIDEN TICKETS

AHH

Same :D

powerslave_85
11-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I bought a Lemuria hoodie from their Myspace. It's pretty rare that a band is so DIY that their drummer personally sends you a confirmation email for your order :lol:

ravenheart
11-12-2007, 02:34 AM
The Cult ticket
Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid (single)
Shooter Jennings baseball jersey
Sevendust - Seasons
Wolverine - Cold Light of Monday
Pale Divine - Eternity Revealed
Space Odyssey - Astral Episode
Alice Cooper - Feed My Frankenstein (single)
Symphorce - Sinctuary
Aerosmith - Young Lust: The Anthology
Mudvayne - Lost And Found
Lamb of God - Killadelphia
Rage - Dark Side
The Cult - Ceremony

Fe Maiden
11-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Somewhere Back In Time T-Shirt:powerslav

Human_Metal
11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I did order a couple of things today:

Gamma Ray - Land of the Free part 2
Gamma Ray - Majestic (vinyl)
Axxis - Doom of Destiny
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
Shadow Gallery - Legacy
Symphony X - The Damnation Game
King Diamond - The Puppet Master (incl. Dvd)

and

Kindom of Heaven Director's Cut!

ravenheart
11-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Power From The North (Swedish bands playing covers of older Swedish bands)

ADD
11-17-2007, 01:17 AM
I just have to mention this amazing haul from Amoeba today, all VINYL BITCH :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Mercyful Fate- "Curse of the Pharaohs" (didn't even know this shit existed!)
Anthrax- "Fistful of Metal"
Municipal Waste- "Hazardous Mutation"
Clutch- "Slow Hole To China"
Deep Purple- "Made In Japan"
Rainbow- "On Stage"

Some hella rare ass vintage fucking shit in there plus finally Clutch on vinyl :horns:

Fe Maiden
11-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Deep Purple- "Made In Japan"
Rainbow- "On Stage"Nice!

ADD
11-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice!

I was stoked at seeing "On Stage" especially cuz its so hard to find Dio-era Rainbow material on vinyl (I have "Long Live Rock & Roll" on LP too though luckily). "Made In Japan" was the cheapest I'd seen it ($10) so that's why I went it for it yesterday, usually its at least $20.

JRA
11-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Pink Floyd- The Wall

DethMaiden
11-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Pink Floyd- The Wall

FINALLY. Now listen to it and be prepared to discuss.

Div
11-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Pink Floyd- The Wall

You never heard The Wall :confused: :wtf:

JRA
11-17-2007, 03:57 PM
You never heard The Wall :confused: :wtf:

Well of course I've heard Comfortable Numb, Brick Pt. II and Hey You, but not everything else.

Div
11-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Well of course I've heard Comfortable Numb, Brick Pt. II and Hey You, but not everything else.

Ah. I kind assumed everyone had heard that, kinda like Led Zeppelin III and Number of the Beast.

That was THE album for me back in highschool, I remember writing english papers about all the philosophical meanings to the lyrics :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
11-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Ah. I kind assumed everyone had heard that, kinda like Led Zeppelin III and Number of the Beast.

That was THE album for me back in highschool, I remember writing english papers about all the philosophical meanings to the lyrics :lol:

:dorky:

JRA
11-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Interesting coming from someone who's "dream Pink Floyd setlist" is "Bike" for three hours.

See I told you I know too much stuff from this thread.

Maiden33
11-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Pretty fruitful trip to a record shop about 30 minutes away today:

Riot - Privledge of Power (used)
Metalium - Chapter I: Millenium Metal (used) (only because Chris Caffery's on it, I've heard it's by far their best, and I want to give Henning a second chance since he owned singing for Firewind)
Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos
At Vance - Chained (just one album to go and I own all 7!)

ravenheart
11-18-2007, 07:30 AM
The Cult - Electric
The Cult - Dreamtime
The Cult - The Best of Rare Cult
The Cult - The Cult
The Cult - Love
The Cult - Ceremony
Alice Cooper Psycho Drama Tour shirt
Avantansia - Metal Opera
Dave Chappelle - For What It's Worth... Live At The Fillmore (DVD)

ravenheart
11-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Metalium - Chapter I: Millenium Metal (used) (only because Chris Caffery's on it, I've heard it's by far their best, and I want to give Henning a second chance since he owned singing for Firewind)

The last one's pretty good, actually.

Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos

This, on the other hand, blows.

At Vance - Chains

All things with Mats Leven rule. Check out the two Dogface albums and especially the Fatal Force album.

JRA
11-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Death: The Sound Of Perseverance

Maiden33
11-19-2007, 07:42 AM
The last one's pretty good, actually.
I got Chapter V about 2 years ago, and was very unsatisfied. It had like 3 good tracks, the rest just kinda left me unimpressed. Henning did an amazing job singing for Firewind both times I saw them, so I wanted to give him another chance since I was told by many people that V was their weakest album. I'm not regretting picking up the first album, I really enjoy it.

This, on the other hand, blows.
I couldn't agree less. I love it.

All things with Mats Leven rule. Check out the two Dogface albums and especially the Fatal Force album.

I've heard the Fatal Force album and remember loving it, but I didn't get it myself. I love The Evil In You, the album is great, but the song itself is amazingly catchy.

ravenheart
11-19-2007, 08:34 AM
I got Chapter V about 2 years ago, and was very unsatisfied.

Fair enough, but the last one is Chapter Six ;)

I couldn't agree less. I love it.

It's fine if you want to kick back for some largely generic power metal that requires roughly equivalent thought power to American Idol, which I appreciate sometimes is just the ticket, but with the wealth of stuff around, something so unremarkable doesn't get a lot of time from me.

And I do get annoyed with people who say how unique his voice is. It really isn't. It's good, but it's so standard you could write a text book based on it and call it "How To Sing Power Metal 101".

overkiller
11-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB external hard drive :drool:

I'm moving all of my music onto it now.

SomewhereInTime72
11-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Oooh. :rocker::rocker:

DethMaiden
11-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Pink Floyd- Meddle
Three- The End Is Begun

ADD
11-19-2007, 06:25 PM

I need one of those. How much?

ChildrenofSodom
11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Three- The End Is Begun

YES! :fist: :agree:

es156
11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
Riverside - Out Of Myself

overkiller
11-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I need one of those. How much?

$150 on sale at Best Buy. Get one this week, there are a bunch of good deals floating around, especially this Friday ("Black Friday").

ADD
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
$150 on sale at Best Buy. Get one this week, there are a bunch of good deals floating around, especially this Friday ("Black Friday").

Only if they paint the devil on the wall :cool:

DethMaiden
11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Only if they paint the devil on the wall :cool:

God knows MegaDave won't :bouville:

ravenheart
11-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Iron Maiden AMOLAD military jacket
Skid Row long-sleeve

My Christmas shopping is nicely underway too. I love buying my own presents ;)

Maiden33
11-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
Riverside - Out Of Myself

I'd never even heard of these guys until they got confirmed for ProgPower, what is it like?

DethMaiden
11-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I'd never even heard of these guys until they got confirmed for ProgPower, what is it like?

They will be out of place, because they're 99% prog and 1% power. You'd maybe like it, though.

ravenheart
11-21-2007, 09:43 AM
They will be out of place, because they're 99% prog and 1% power. You'd maybe like it, though.

Erm... that doesn't make them out of place. ProgPower isn't called ProgPower because the bands that play it are a 50/50 mix of both. It's because they have prog bands play, and they have power bands play.

It's a franchise festival with the three others around the World. We've had one here for two years now. Next year's line-up:

Evergrey
Brainstorm
Vanden Plas
Thunderstone
Circus Maximus
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Power Quest
Andromeda
Voyager
Thy Majestie
Serenity
To-Mera (acoustic set)

ravenheart
11-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Like the heavy side of Porcupine Tree.

DethMaiden
11-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Erm... that doesn't make them out of place. ProgPower isn't called ProgPower because the bands that play it are a 50/50 mix of both. It's because they have prog bands play, and they have power bands play.

It's a franchise festival with the three others around the World. We've had one here for two years now. Next year's line-up:

Evergrey
Brainstorm
Vanden Plas
Thunderstone
Circus Maximus
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Power Quest
Andromeda
Voyager
Thy Majestie
Serenity
To-Mera (acoustic set)

Almost every prog band that plays ProgPower has a very power metal edge to them. You aren't gonna see a Spock's Beard or Flower Kings at that festival.

ChildrenofSodom
11-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Ministry--The Last Sucker
Skeletonwitch--Beyond the Permafrost
Between the Bured and Me--Colors

Ordered:

Immortal Technique--Revolutionary Vol. 2

ravenheart
11-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Almost every prog band that plays ProgPower has a very power metal edge to them. You aren't gonna see a Spock's Beard or Flower Kings at that festival.

Nonsense. Riverside have played PP Europe twice, and never considered out of place for a second.

The reason you wouldn't see Flower Kings at a PP festival is nothing to do with their proginess and everything to do with the fact that they're not a metal band. Spock's Beard are close enough to metal to be a contender. Pretty much all you can guarantee is that you won't see Dream Theater or Queensryche, because they're just too expensive. Anything else is possible.

There's nothing power metal about Orphaned Land, Opeth, Devin Townsend Band, Haggard, Leaves' Eyes, Disillusion, Green Carnation, The Gathering etc etc either. But they've all played at least one PP festival. Orphaned Land have played three.

DethMaiden
11-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Nonsense. Riverside have played PP Europe twice, and never considered out of place for a second.

The reason you wouldn't see Flower Kings at a PP festival is nothing to do with their proginess and everything to do with the fact that they're not a metal band. Spock's Beard are close enough to metal to be a contender. Pretty much all you can guarantee is that you won't see Dream Theater or Queensryche, because they're just too expensive. Anything else is possible.

There's nothing power metal about Orphaned Land, Opeth, Devin Townsend Band, Haggard, Leaves' Eyes, Disillusion, Green Carnation, The Gathering etc etc either. But they've all played at least one PP festival. Orphaned Land have played three.

I yield. :hmm:

Maiden33
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM

Not everyone considers "Prog" that silly stuff you listen to. Two of my best friends are heavy heavy prog guys and I have tons of common ground with them, yet I've got next to nothing in common with you. It's especially disgusting because you claim to be a Prog guy and you're not even familiar with Fates Warning, one of the genres most known and respected bands.

SomewhereInTime72
11-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Not everyone considers "Prog" that silly stuff you listen to. Two of my best friends are heavy heavy prog guys and I have tons of common ground with them, yet I've got next to nothing in common with you.

LOL WUT

ChildrenofSodom
11-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Not everyone considers "Prog" that silly stuff you listen to. Two of my best friends are heavy heavy prog guys and I have tons of common ground with them, yet I've got next to nothing in common with you. It's especially disgusting because you claim to be a Prog guy and you're not even familiar with Fates Warning, one of the genres most known and respected bands.

I think I argued this with you a year ago....When I listen to Evergrey...the first thing I think of is power metal, not progressive.

ravenheart
11-22-2007, 01:50 AM
We wanted Fates Warning at the UK one next year, but failed to get a reply from their management.

We had Green Carnation confirmed, but they split up. And we had Wovlerine confirmed, but one of them is expecting a baby right before the festival, so doesn't want to risk having to pull out at the last minute.

DethMaiden
11-22-2007, 07:19 AM

Scan the top 100 prog albums list on progarchives.com and find one band you listen to. kthxbi.

ravenheart
11-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Scan the top 100 prog albums list on progarchives.com and find one band you listen to. kthxbi.

Me too?

Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Ayreon
Deep Purple
Tool
Riverside
Pain of Salvation
Iron Maiden

I should point out that that top 100 is void because there's not a single Arena album in it.

If you limit the list to progressive metal, seeing as that's what we're talking about in the context of the festival, I listen to nearly every band in the list. There's a couple I want to listen to but don't own anything by. And just Liquid Tension Experiment, Royal Hunt and Mago De Oz that I don't like.

Pleased to see bands like Threshold, Stride and Mindflow in there.

ravenheart
11-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Memento Mori - Life, Death and Other Morbid Tales
Freshfabrik - Finest
Evergrey - Dark Discovery
Alice Cooper - Lost In America (single)
Alice Cooper - It's Me (single)

DethMaiden
11-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Me too?

Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Ayreon
Deep Purple
Tool
Riverside
Pain of Salvation
Iron Maiden

I should point out that that top 100 is void because there's not a single Arena album in it.

If you limit the list to progressive metal, seeing as that's what we're talking about in the context of the festival, I listen to nearly every band in the list. There's a couple I want to listen to but don't own anything by. And just Liquid Tension Experiment, Royal Hunt and Mago De Oz that I don't like.

Pleased to see bands like Threshold, Stride and Mindflow in there.

I wasn't serious :eyes: I'm just a nerd.

Div
11-22-2007, 10:53 AM
So far on this board I've seen Maiden referred to as classic rock, heavy metal, speed metal, and now prog. Can't we just pick a genre and stick with it?

DethMaiden
11-22-2007, 12:02 PM
So far on this board I've seen Maiden referred to as classic rock, heavy metal, speed metal, and now prog. Can't we just pick a genre and stick with it?

They aren't prog; progarchives categorizes them as "prog related". But 7th Son? Pretty damn prog.

ravenheart
11-22-2007, 12:38 PM

They're heavy metal. Never understood why this was ever in question.

ravenheart
11-22-2007, 12:41 PM
On the subject of prog, I got the new Ayreon today. Oh. My. Word.

es156
11-22-2007, 02:07 PM

No, that list is void because it includes Kate Bush, Santana, Supertramp, etc. They surely can't be serious?

ravenheart
11-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I was going to point out Kate Bush...

overkiller
11-22-2007, 02:47 PM

+power metal

ChildrenofSodom
11-22-2007, 03:29 PM
+power metal

avant-garde black metalcore

DethMaiden
11-22-2007, 04:31 PM
No, that list is void because it includes Kate Bush, Santana, Supertramp, etc. They surely can't be serious?

The new list is stupid because it uses a different formula. The old 100 (the one I'm trying to get every album on) is undeniably prog, and everything I've bought due to its position on the list has been great. If we still had attachments I'd post, but trust me when I say it's better.

JRA
11-22-2007, 05:18 PM

Bruce Dickinson: "I'm going to tell you right now, what music this is we play...we are IRON FUCKING MAIDEN, AND THAT'S AIT MOTHERFUCKERS!"

es156
11-22-2007, 06:21 PM
The new list is stupid because it uses a different formula. The old 100 (the one I'm trying to get every album on) is undeniably prog, and everything I've bought due to its position on the list has been great. If we still had attachments I'd post, but trust me when I say it's better.

E-mail it to me.

DethMaiden
11-22-2007, 07:31 PM
E-mail it to me.

Sent.

The Office: Season One (DVD)

SomewhereInTime72
11-22-2007, 07:40 PM

Don't diss Supertramp. They do have some proggy material, anyway. :tongue:

Edit:

The Office: Season One (DVD)

Oh my god I love this show.

DethMaiden
11-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh my god I love this show.

Best line ever just happened:

Michael: Maybe I should have brought some burritos, or pad thai, or colored greens.
Stanley: It's collard greens.
Michael: That makes no sense. You aren't collard people.

:lol: ^100

EDIT: It was only $10. Thank you, Thanksgiving sales.

SomewhereInTime72
11-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Best line ever just happened:

Michael: Maybe I should have brought some burritos, or pad thai, or colored greens.
Stanley: It's collard greens.
Michael: That makes no sense. You aren't collard people.

:lol: ^100

EDIT: It was only $10. Thank you, Thanksgiving sales.

That show is so full of little gems like that. :D

es156
11-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Sent.

Thanks. That list makes more sense, at least.

So, what is the next Porcupine Tree CD that I should get? (Prior to In Absentia)

es156
11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Don't diss Supertramp. They do have some proggy material, anyway. :tongue:

Actually, I'm not. I just don't think they should show up on a list of the top 100 prog CD's of all time.

SomewhereInTime72
11-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Actually, I'm not. I just don't think they should show up on a list of the top 100 prog CD's of all time.

Oh okay. That's quite fair, I guess. I happen to really like Supertramp. :eyes: :D

Maiden33
11-22-2007, 11:08 PM

Well said, pretty much my thoughts.

There's an implied word in the title of that festival, obviously metal. I've found that the festival's biggest contenders (not sure about the Euro/UK shows, but definately in the US) are definately the bands that actually show a mixture of power and prog metal in one (see Angra, Symphony X, etc), though every now and then, you get your bands that aren't really either Prog or Power (Astral Doors here next year, IMO Primal Fear this past year), the people organizing just know there's a demand for them (which obviously there is). The style of bands has actually varied quite considerably since the PPUSA's creation in 2001, it's got something to please everyone really, and sometimes, everything to please someone as well.

Maiden33
11-22-2007, 11:16 PM

Strange, I found six.

And I appologize, I should've mentioned I'm talking about Prog METAL, not ambient naptime music.

Maiden33
11-22-2007, 11:17 PM

Strange, I found six.

And I appologize, I should've mentioned I'm talking about Prog METAL, not ambient naptime music, or screaming growly crap, as it seems the two are becoming the only music you enjoy.

SomewhereInTime72
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Power Metal version of Black Metal kvlt elitism.
:zzz:

ravenheart
11-23-2007, 01:41 AM
every now and then, you get your bands that aren't really either Prog or Power (Astral Doors here next year, IMO Primal Fear this past year)

More so than either of them you've got Volbeat next year. I fucking love Volbeat but they're about as ProgPower as Dolly Parton ;)

ChildrenofSodom
11-23-2007, 02:53 AM
More so than either of them you've got Volbeat next year. I fucking love Volbeat but they're about as ProgPower as Dolly Parton ;)

They sound like they're perfect for the bill.

ravenheart
11-23-2007, 03:39 AM
They sound like they're perfect for the bill.

:tp:

JRA
11-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Run DMC- Raising Hell
Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland

DethMaiden
11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Strange, I found six.

And I appologize, I should've mentioned I'm talking about Prog METAL, not ambient naptime music, or screaming growly crap, as it seems the two are becoming the only music you enjoy.

Just bought:
Fates Warning- Awaken the Guardian
Fates Warning- No Exit

And to think I tried to make you proud! :snivel:

;)

overkiller
11-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Strange, I found six.

:hippie:

DethMaiden
11-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh, I also got a rain check for Season Two of The Office. $14.98 for a four-disc set? Psh, yeah I'll wait.

DethMaiden
11-23-2007, 02:55 PM
So, what is the next Porcupine Tree CD that I should get? (Prior to In Absentia)

Absolutely get Stupid Dream.

es156
11-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Just bought:
Fates Warning- No Exit

Swingandamiss. Those are my two least favorite FW discs.

Absolutely get Stupid Dream.

I had a feeling that would be your next recommendation. Thanks!

SomewhereInTime72
11-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Swingandamiss. Those are my two least favorite FW discs.

:eek: :eek:

Those with Parallels are probably my 3 favorite FW albums. :eek:

Edit: Er, forgot Perfect Symmetry. That's up there too.

JRA
11-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Oh, I also got a rain check for Season Two of The Office. $14.98 for a four-disc set? Psh, yeah I'll wait.

$15.00 for a 4 disc set? That's the highway robber giving you the money. What the fuck's wrong with you?

DethMaiden
11-23-2007, 07:44 PM
$15.00 for a 4 disc set? That's the highway robber giving you the money. What the fuck's wrong with you?

:eyes: Do you know what a rain check is?

Maiden33
11-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Just bought:
Fates Warning- No Exit

And to think I tried to make you proud! :snivel:

;)

Well, IMO Awaken the Guardian isn't as good as The Spectre Within, it's never really been a favorite of mine.
No Exit is quite good, but no Parallels, Perfect Symmetry, or even Inside Out.

Still, it's a start, so good call. :D

JRA
11-24-2007, 07:33 AM
:eyes: Do you know what a rain check is?

Yea, but the way you worded it made it sound like it was too expensive.

es156
11-25-2007, 02:20 PM
:eek: :eek:

Those with Parallels are probably my 3 favorite FW albums. :eek:

Edit: Er, forgot Perfect Symmetry. That's up there too.

I am just not a big fan of John Arch's voice. And like Maiden33 said, No Exit is good, but in my opinion it does not hold up to their later work. Perfect Symmetry is my favorite with Parallels second. And I really like FWX, which has some great songs.

JRA
11-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Amazon.com says "Merry Christmas Josh"

Possessed- Seven Chuches
Overkill- WFO
Gamma Ray- Land Of The Free
Boogie Down Productions- Criminal Minded
Eric B. & Rakim- Don't Sweat The Technique
Kreator- Pleasure To Kill
Manowar- Kings Of Metal

ChildrenofSodom
11-25-2007, 09:13 PM
]

Fuck Yeah

ravenheart
11-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Saxon - Unleash The Beast
Katie Melua - Closest Thing To Crazy (single)
Katie Melua - I Cried For You (single)
Katie Melua - Call Off The Search (single)
U.D.O. - Wrong Side of Midnight (EP)
The Almighty - Blood, Fire And Live
Alice Cooper - Dragontown (Special Tour Edition)
Ministry - Filth Pig

DVDs:
Severance
Stephen King's Storm of The Century

"Total Skull" Skull Mask

JRA
11-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Fuck Yeah

Hmmm, so what do you know about KRS-ONE?

ChildrenofSodom
11-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, so what do you know about KRS-ONE?

I know about his involvement in politics, and his work within urban communities and the hip-hop community.

overkiller
11-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Amazon.com says "Merry Christmas Josh"

Possessed- Seven Chuches
Overkill- WFO
Gamma Ray- Land Of The Free
Eric B. & Rakim- Don't Sweat The Technique
Manowar- Kings Of Metal

OMG you win.

JRA
11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
OMG you win.

I was fucking looking for you last night for extra suggestions!

By the way...did you know that the only copies of "Under The Sign Of The Black Mark" on Amazon are all used and they are all over $90? I shit you not.

Maiden33
11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Astral Doors - New Revelation (ordered it, still need to pick it up)

overkiller
11-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I was fucking looking for you last night for extra suggestions!

By the way...did you know that the only copies of "Under The Sign Of The Black Mark" on Amazon are all used and they are all over $90? I shit you not.

Ah I was wondering what that was about. :D

And damn, what a ripoff. As far as I'm concerned there's no "vintage pressing" for CDs; if you can get it new for $12, get it new for $12 (which you can, on Black Mark's website).

Anyway, 4 Red Bulls and a bottle of Jägermeister. Lunacy/fun in liquid form. :party:

ravenheart
11-28-2007, 02:57 AM
Astral Doors - New Revelation (ordered it, still need to pick it up)

Going to pick that up soon myself.

Maiden33
11-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Going to pick that up soon myself.

I've heard it already, and I have to say I'm really impressed. It's a lot stronger and more mature sounding than the majority of their past efforts... They shed a lot of the Dio-isms, which may be either good or bad depending on your view of them.

ravenheart
11-28-2007, 08:20 AM
I've seen them live once and my instant analysis was "very Dio - I like". But I'm happy to hear a maturing sound. Other bands of a similar ilk have matured a lot this year (Symphorce, Mystic Prophecy) and it's always a good thing.

Looking forward to see Astral Doors at Sweden Rock (and hopefully the other two as well).

Maiden33
11-29-2007, 07:06 AM
I've seen them live once and my instant analysis was "very Dio - I like". But I'm happy to hear a maturing sound. Other bands of a similar ilk have matured a lot this year (Symphorce, Mystic Prophecy) and it's always a good thing.

Looking forward to see Astral Doors at Sweden Rock (and hopefully the other two as well).

Astral Doors seem like the type of band that would be excellent live, not due to technical abilities, but just in terms of putting on a fun show. I could be wrong, am I?

I own one Mystic Prophecy album, "Regressus", and I confess I only really got it cause Gus G's on it but it's got a couple songs I like. How does the new stuff compare?

overkiller
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
A bottle of Absente, "Absinthe Refined". It's the only form of Absinthe legal in the U.S.; it doesn't contain Grande Wormwood. Wikipedia tells me it's really a kind of faux-absinthe. I want to get a bottle of the real stuff.

ravenheart
12-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Astral Doors seem like the type of band that would be excellent live, not due to technical abilities, but just in terms of putting on a fun show. I could be wrong, am I?

I own one Mystic Prophecy album, "Regressus", and I confess I only really got it cause Gus G's on it but it's got a couple songs I like. How does the new stuff compare?

Erm, I wouldn't say Astral Doors are the most incredibly entertaining live band. It's their songs that do it for them.

The new Mystic Prophecy is outstanding. Their best album by a mile. No more kitsch power metal. It's heavy as fuck and really dark. Much more like Symphorce.

ravenheart
12-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Leaves' Eyes - Into Your Light (single)
Lamb of God Congregation shirt
Katie Melua - Spiders Web (single)

ChildrenofSodom
12-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Went and saw The Receiver in Dayton on Friday. Picked up their album Decades.

Nick
12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Jordan Rudess: Listen

Snagged that off ebay the other day cheap. On the other end of the scale I put in one of my biggest ebay bids ever for a Cleaning Out the Closet (Dream Theater) CD and lost by a dollar. Oh well, money well saved.

ravenheart
12-04-2007, 03:03 AM
Emigrate vintage jacket

Human_Metal
12-07-2007, 06:23 AM
The only good record store in my city is about to close :mad: so they are selling away everything for cheap, so i got all these cd's for 5€ each:

Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth
Rage - Black in Mind
Rage - Soundchaser
Rage - Speak of the Dead
Dismember - The God that Never Was
Axxis - Paradise in Flames
Winters Bane - Heart of a Killer
Axel Rudi Pell - Eternal Prisoner
Deep Purple - Live at Royal Albert Hall (DVD)

Nick
12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I went on a used/new Amazon binge the other day, first large purchase in a good while, and the last till after the holidays.

Marillion - Marbles
The Flower Kings - Unfold the Future
Silent Force - Walk the Earth
Enchant - Tug of War
Time Machine - Evil

powerslave_85
12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
The Onion presents Our Dumb World: Atlas of the Planet Earth

It's like the last chapter of America: The Book lengthened into a whole book, and it's even funnier.

DethMaiden
12-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Redemption- The Origins of Ruin

SomewhereInTime72
12-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Lost Christmas Eve

Gettin' in the mood. :D

ravenheart
12-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
Fight - The War of Words Demos

Div
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
ugh, so tempting

http://www.nightofthevinyldead.com/releases/night20_therion.htm#

SomewhereInTime72
12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
A shit-ton of christmas gifts.

Maiden33
12-10-2007, 08:04 AM

That's a great album, and without a doubt the most Savatage-esque of all the TSO records.

Maiden33
12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth

This album RULES. :party: :dance:

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
That's a great album, and without a doubt the most Savatage-esque of all the TSO records.

Haha, yeah. Parts of it basically just sound like Christmas Savatage.

JRA
12-10-2007, 10:24 AM

I've definitely bought a TSO album last year, though I can't remember if that was the one.

Maiden33
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Haha, yeah. Parts of it basically just sound like Christmas Savatage.

Haha yeah. Well, it doesn't help that Back to a Reason IS a modified Savatage song.

It's such a shame that TSO is this huge phenomenon and literally like everyone and their mother has heard of and even seen them... but Savatage are without a doubt very much a "cult" band, especially the 90s stuff which set up the groundwork for TSO.

ADD
12-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I like people who call Savatage sellouts :party: Cuz basically TSO is Savatage. But hey give them credit, they had the foresight to realize that playing 80's heavy metal won't sell millions of records and put you in front of 15,000 fans a night, and that melding metal with Christmas music would :cool:

es156
12-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Blackfield - Blackfield

Maiden33
12-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Well yeah, I look at it like this:

I don't think you can call Savatage sell-outs, because selling out implies that you abandoned your original music intent in order to gain commercial success, which is not the case with Savatage for more than one reason:

-The direction that Savatage moved in had more or less no potential to bring them commercial success. If anything, the more they evolved, the less popular they got, in America particularly.
-It's pretty much known that Jon Oliva has always loved piano-based rock music and always had an interest in making it, but he just catered to the wishes of everyone else in the beginning, and then after they began working with Paul O'Neill it all just started unfolding on it's own.

JRA
12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
So wait a sec, TSO is basically Savatage with a few extra hired guns, right?

Human_Metal
12-12-2007, 06:25 AM
This album RULES. :party: :dance:

Yes indeed! Sounds like an awsome Savatage album, i'm really impressed. I will try to get the other CIIC albums too.

and i have bought these things the latest days:

Axxis - Doom of Destiny (tour shirt)
Iced Earth - Tribute to the Gods (lp)
Iron Savior - Battering Ram
Symphorce - Godspeed
Ivory Tower - s/t
Spock's Beard - Octane

Maiden33
12-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Yes indeed! Sounds like an awsome Savatage album, i'm really impressed. I will try to get the other CIIC albums too.

I personally think Burden of Truth is the best of the three, but the other two are very worth your time also. Most people, including myself, think Watching In Silence is better than Middle of Nowhere.

Maiden33
12-12-2007, 07:24 AM
So wait a sec, TSO is basically Savatage with a few extra hired guns, right?

More or less.

Paul O'Neill, the "mastermind" of TSO, was Savatage's producer on every album since 87's Hall of the Mountain King, and he also cowrote almost every song from that point on also.
Jon Oliva, Al Pitrelli, Chris Caffery, Jeff Plate, Alex Skolnick, and Johnny Lee Middelton all record and tour for TSO, and all of them were in Savatage at one point or another. Zak Stevens is even on Beethoven's Last Night
The legacy traces back to the track "Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24" which originally appeared on Savatage's Dead Winter Dead album and merely a few months later was rereleased on the first TSO album. It's the very same recording, but every year when the radio plays thhe shit out of it, Savatage isn't mentioned at all, even though that song is truely a Savatage song. Furthermore, the song "Back to a Reason", which appears on The Lost Christmas Eve, originally appeared on Savatage's Poets and Madmen album but was reworked to fit the story.
The two are more closely related than even fans of both sometimes realize.

ravenheart
12-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Most people, including myself, think Watching In Silence is better than Middle of Nowhere.

Agreed.

ravenheart
12-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Led Zeppelin - Remasters
Candlemass - 20 Year Anniversary (DVD)

Maiden33
12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Agreed.

:fist:

Some of the songs on that album are superb. The title track, Into the Wind, Forgiven, and Fields of Sorrow come to mind.

ravenheart
12-13-2007, 03:07 AM
Flotsam And Jetsam - Unnatural Selection
Forsaken - Dominaeon

Human_Metal
12-14-2007, 07:39 AM
I personally think Burden of Truth is the best of the three, but the other two are very worth your time also. Most people, including myself, think Watching In Silence is better than Middle of Nowhere.

Since both of you and Ravenheart agrees on this, i will get that album as soon as possible!

But today i bought Stephen King: The Dark Tower part 2 :party:

powerslave_85
12-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Against Me!- Reinventing Axl Rose LP
Against Me!- The Disco Before the Breakdown EP (vinyl)
Modern Life Is War- Stagger Lee 7"

ADD
12-15-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm so excited I finally found Fear Of The Dark on vinyl yesterday :metal: Now all's I need is Killers and No Prayer For The Dying to complete the Maiden studio LP discography.

Div
12-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm so excited I finally found Fear Of The Dark on vinyl yesterday :metal: Now all's I need is Killers and No Prayer For The Dying to complete the Maiden studio LP discography.

You can't find Killers? Theres like a ton of them on ebay.

ADD
12-15-2007, 04:45 PM
You can't find Killers? Theres like a ton of them on ebay.

I don't buy online I score 'em all in record stores :) The collecting aspect is no fun when you can just get it online :D

DethMaiden
12-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Symphony X- Paradise Lost

JRA
12-15-2007, 08:58 PM
What a goddamn day

Death: Leprosy
Venom: Welcome To Hell
WASP: Inside The Electric Circus (which my sister, her boyfriend and I listened to on the way back cos there was nothing good on the radio! :horns: )

Maiden33
12-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Symphony X- Paradise Lost

Awesome, but you still need Divine Wings and V which are both better than Paradise Lost.

DethMaiden
12-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Awesome, but you still need Divine Wings and V which are both better than Paradise Lost.

I should hope so. This album is sorta...not nearly as good as The Odyssey. It has its moments but all in all I think Russell Allen sounds bad more often than he does good, and the riff to "Serpent's Kiss" should have Disturbed's lawyers checking tablature.

Nick
12-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine (Newer 2-CD version)
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
Kamelot - The Black Halo

Maiden33
12-17-2007, 09:18 AM
I should hope so. This album is sorta...not nearly as good as The Odyssey. It has its moments but all in all I think Russell Allen sounds bad more often than he does good, and the riff to "Serpent's Kiss" should have Disturbed's lawyers checking tablature.

Thank you. I am the complete minority here, but I think all 4 SX albums before Paradise Lost are better than it, many of them signifigantly. The riffs are pretty boring and nu-metaly at times, the keyboards aren't put to much good use at all, and Russell Allen is wasting his incredible voice.

overkiller
12-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Thank you. I am the complete minority here, but I think all 4 SX albums before Paradise Lost are better than it, many of them signifigantly. The riffs are pretty boring and nu-metaly at times, the keyboards aren't put to much good use at all, and Russell Allen is wasting his incredible voice.

Yep.

DethMaiden
12-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Yeah. That.

zgodt
12-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Ire Works
Colors
No World for Tomorrow

DethMaiden
12-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Colors
No World for Tomorrow

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

DethMaiden
12-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Bought Coheed & Cambria's new one, also ordered Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band's Trout Mask Replica

ChildrenofSodom
12-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Darkest Hour--Deliver Us
Baroness--Red Album

The Autumn Offering--Fear Will Cast No Shadow (for my brother for Christmas)

Maiden33
12-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
Kamelot - The Black Halo

:party: :dance:

both on recommendation from me. In fact, I was with you when you bought them.

Human_Metal
12-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Rage - End of All Days
Rage - Beyond the Wall
Rage - Welcome to the Other Side
Iced Earth - The Blessed and the Damned
Arena - Pride
Arena - Welcome To The Stage
Grave Digger - The Dark of the Sun

and a Rage longsleeve with the cover of Ghosts.

Maiden33
12-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Rage - End of All Days
Rage - Beyond the Wall
Rage - Welcome to the Other Side
Iced Earth - The Blessed and the Damned
Arena - Pride
Arena - Welcome To The Stage
Grave Digger - The Dark of the Sun

and a Rage longsleeve with the cover of Ghosts.

Rage is a band I've never really understood what all the hype is about. They're not bad, but I have a friend who considers them one of his favorite bands, and I'm just like... :confused:

ravenheart
12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Rage is a band I've never really understood what all the hype is about. They're not bad, but I have a friend who considers them one of his favorite bands, and I'm just like... :confused:

I'm with your friend. I love Rage. Great vocals, massive riffs, and occasional suites with orchestras. Perfect!

Must admit the early stuff isn't so hot. Try "Full Moon In St Petersburg". Great live album with a bit of everything.

ravenheart
12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
The riffs are pretty boring and nu-metaly

The riffs are nu-metaly? Are we listened to the same album? I think the riffing on that album is anything but boring. The darker, heavier feel on Paradise Lost is something I think Symphony X have been severely lacking in the past. Russell is awesome at singing 'evil' stuff, and I've always wished he'd do it more often.

the keyboards aren't put to much good use at all

Thank fuck.

Maiden33
12-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm with your friend. I love Rage. Great vocals, massive riffs, and occasional suites with orchestras. Perfect!

Must admit the early stuff isn't so hot. Try "Full Moon In St Petersburg". Great live album with a bit of everything.

The orchestral stuff was really the only material of theirs that ever grabbed me.

ravenheart
12-19-2007, 03:47 AM
I was unimpressed with early stuff. It sounded really weak. Then I heard tracks like "No Fear", so I picked up the box set of Lingua Mortis, Ghosts and XIII. All excellent. The new album is good too. And there's going to be another one in April.

Human_Metal
12-19-2007, 05:08 AM

I'm all with you on the first part. But i have to disagree with Full Moon In St Petersburg, i think it's a pretty weak dvd/cd. Since it's a co-headline show (or even maybe Rage is support band) they don't have so much play time, and since they play "Suite Lingua Mortis" there's almost no room for old classics. And the performence by the band is quite boring, they seem to grown tired and old when you compare with their 2 other dvd's.

I much more prefer From the Cradle to the Stage. Great set list with atleast 1 song from all their albums. Also much better crowd and the band is really active on stage.

IMO every album Rage has released from 1989 and forward is great. The 4 albums before that is quite normal speed metal but nothing wrong with those albums either, just not as good as the albums which where released after.

And yes, can't wait for their upcoming album. To bad that Terrana isn't more in the band but i hope Andre is a worthy replacer.

Maiden33: If you havn't heard the album Soundchaser i really recommend you to check it out. Maybe their catchiest album and also it contains some of their best songs. Really awsome power metal with progressive parts.

ravenheart
12-19-2007, 06:42 AM
i think it's a pretty weak dvd/cd. Since it's a co-headline show (or even maybe Rage is support band) they don't have so much play time, and since they play "Suite Lingua Mortis" there's almost no room for old classics. And the performence by the band is quite boring, they seem to grown tired and old when you compare with their 2 other dvd's.

I much more prefer From the Cradle to the Stage. Great set list with atleast 1 song from all their albums. Also much better crowd and the band is really active on stage.

But that's the point of that DVD. It's all about the performance of "Suite Lingua Mortis" and new songs like "No Fear". It's not supposed to be a set packed with hits.

From The Cradle To The Stage is their 20th Anniversary show, so the whole point was to play hits from their entire career. We don't need the "old classics" on "Full Moon..." because they're already on "...Cradle...".

That's what makes Full Moon In St Peterburg a worthwhile DVD, because it's different to the other ones. If it were the same it would be a waste of time.

I don't see, or especially hear, anything wrong with the performance. The crowd are a bit weak, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

Maiden33
12-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Mob Rules - Ethnolution AD

Human_Metal
12-22-2007, 07:55 AM
But that's the point of that DVD. It's all about the performance of "Suite Lingua Mortis" and new songs like "No Fear". It's not supposed to be a set packed with hits.

From The Cradle To The Stage is their 20th Anniversary show, so the whole point was to play hits from their entire career. We don't need the "old classics" on "Full Moon..." because they're already on "...Cradle...".

That's what makes Full Moon In St Peterburg a worthwhile DVD, because it's different to the other ones. If it were the same it would be a waste of time.

I don't see, or especially hear, anything wrong with the performance. The crowd are a bit weak, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

I didn't mean that they should play songs which already are recorded on "cradle" or "Missing Link" dvd's. I meant old classics like Waiting for the Moon, On the Edge or maybe The Crawling Chaos, songs which has never been recorded on a livd dvd.
I have also seen set lists from the Speak of the Dead tour where Rage have played the same set as on "Full moon" but they did also play Turn the Page, Crucified, War of Worlds, Down, Human Metal and Straight to Hell. Wouldn't it been much better to record on of those shows instead? It would have been a much more intresting dvd since then it would have been plenty of new material and also a couple of never filmed live songs.

Anyway, latest cd's:
Grave Digger - The Last Supper
Axel Rudi Pell - Knights Live
Jag Panzer - Decade of the Nail-Spiked Bat
Brainstorm - Liquid Monster (incl. DVD)

JRA
12-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Just got a Nintendo Wii for "Hannukkah"

:party:

DethMaiden
12-26-2007, 09:08 AM
With a gift certificate to the local bookstore I bought The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Atheism ftw.