PDA

View Full Version : Local Music 2-for-1: Of Brothers and the Bear (Jan. 8) and Reaper (Jan. 13)

DethMaiden
01-13-2007, 07:35 PM
This week I had the fortune of witnessing not one, but two, awesome local shows. I'll keep these brief.

First, I went to see a show that I sorta helped book, as in I got the headliners to go to the show. Big mistake on my part, as they were very anticlimactic following a band that they did. Here's a rundown of the five band bill:

When the Tigers Broke Free- Named for a song that didn't make the final cut of Floyd's THE WALL, WTTBF were a post-rock band that used a violin, and quite affectively. I really enjoyed them, probably the second most after a certain band who had yet to play.

The Juniper Wait- Drunken and sloppy post-rock, but post-rock nonetheless. Pretty cool shit, especially since they took guitar solos. Who the hell does that in post-rock?

The Ascent of Everest- Holy shit, Batman, here's a band to keep an eye on the radar screen for. The only touring band on the bill, the Nashvillian septet (is that a word?) played downright bludgeoning ambient/experimental/folk/country/metal/classical/orchestra music that blew everyone's mind in that particular basement. I bought their album "HOW LONELY SITS THE CITY", and it's just about as great as their show. Check these dudes out for one hell of an experience.

Romance of Young Tigers- Blah. Second time I've seen them, still just painfully discordant whale noises. Next.

Of Brothers and the Bear- Upbeat indie rock from my high school. Nothing to write home about.

AND THEN THERE WERE REAPER

Tonight I went to a church, but I wasn't worshiping. I was watching the second best local band from my area, REAPER. An instrumental thrash trio, the dudes from Reaper play straight-up, no-nonsense, breakdown-free thrash fucking metal. Brady, Addi, thrashers in general: this is for you. Think Annihilator complexity meets Slayer soloing meets King Diamond melody meets anything and everything UltraBoris loves. They don't have anything recorded but the second they do I'll be letting everyone know. This shit kicks ass. The only thing that sucked was that they chose Pantera as their band to cover. Setlist was as follows:

Reaper Overture
Grimoire
Cowboys From Hell (Pantera cover)
Poltergeist
Nile's Curse
Domination
Guitar Solo
March of the S.S. (this song fucking ruled)
Hellfire
Thou Art Dead
Drum solo (really bad one)
Apocalypto

So there.

powerslave_85
01-13-2007, 09:03 PM
March of the S.S.

:eyes: :hecho:

ADD
01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the read :cool:

DethMaiden
01-14-2007, 04:54 AM
:eyes: :hecho:

Well, they don't have vocals, therefore they don't have lyrics. The title clearly came from the fact that they used a military march drum beat. They aren't Nazis or anything like that, they were playing a damn church.

DethMaiden
01-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I forgot to mention that Reaper also have a groove akin to that of Overkill or Corrosion of Conformity (though I realize these bands are completely different). It's quite foot-tappable.

Maiden33
01-14-2007, 09:09 PM
"Of Brothers and the Bear" ???
We really are running out of band names.

ADD
01-14-2007, 10:13 PM
:lol:

powerslave_85
01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Well, they don't have vocals, therefore they don't have lyrics. The title clearly came from the fact that they used a military march drum beat. They aren't Nazis or anything like that, they were playing a damn church.
It's still stupid as hell. I don't care what their beliefs are, using Nazi imagery/language in songs is just bad.

DethMaiden
01-15-2007, 07:41 AM

:lol: :fist: Yes.

DethMaiden
01-15-2007, 07:43 AM
It's still stupid as hell. I don't care what their beliefs are, using Nazi imagery/language in songs is just bad.

I hope that when they write lyrics for it, it's told through the eyes of a victim and viciously attacks Nazism. Then I can say I told you so :tongue:

Maiden33
01-15-2007, 09:59 AM
I hope that when they write lyrics for it, it's told through the eyes of a victim and viciously attacks Nazism. Then I can say I told you so :tongue:

IMO
The only right way to talk about anything having to do with Nazis is from a historical point of view, and neither the antagonist's or the victim's... Rather a historical overview, same goes for most war songs. See Maiden lyrics for reference.

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
IMO
The only right way to talk about anything having to do with Nazis is from a historical point of view, and neither the antagonist's or the victim's... Rather a historical overview, same goes for most war songs. See Maiden lyrics for reference.
I disagree. 90% of Maiden's "historical" songs are like reading a passage from a textbook: all they do is tell you what happened. Just, you know, without the historical accuracy part. In my opinion, the Iron Maiden way is boring - not wrong - but boring.

Let me give you an example. I'm writing a song called "The Underground" and it's about the sarin gas attacks on the Tokyo subway system in 1995. There were quite a few victims, and most of the antagonists are still on trial to this day. I could approach this song from any number of angles. I could do a Maiden "here's what happened" song, which I won't, because I find that to be a ho-hum operation in creativity, I could write a song from the point of view of somebody who rode the subway or worked for the subway (be they a victim or not) or I could write a song from the point of view of the cult that perpetrated the attacks, either from the point of view of one of the people that carried it out, or from the point of view of the leader of the cult.

Or I could try any other number of random/hybrid approaches. Honestly, I don’t know where we’ll be going with this particular song, but I have ideas in mind.

Anyways, I think it’s ludicrous to say there’s a right or wrong way to cover history in songs. I personally think one of the more interesting things to do with history is to either insert yourself into it, ie. What would you do if you were in a particular historical situation? Or somehow relating or using history for other means. We have a song called “Hell Is Here” and the gist of the song is man’s desire for conflict. As a way to find some direction for the lyrics, our vocalist and I sat down and went through every year of the 20th century and looked at what armed conflicts America participated in and how they related to each other. For instance, our invasion of the Philippines which was a convenient staging point for our involvement in not one, but two foreign civil wars that did not directly concern us. Interesting stuff, as far as I’m concerned.

ADD
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
When someone besides Metallica or Megadeth writes a war song as good as any of Maiden's, lemme know.

DethMaiden
01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
When someone besides Metallica or Megadeth writes a war song as good as any of Maiden's, lemme know.

A "war song" can be a good song regardless of its lyrics.

ADD
01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
A "war song" can be a good song regardless of its lyrics.
Of course, and usually that's the case. Which is why Maiden wins 98% of the time in these songs because to me they play better music than everyone :party: Metallica and Megadeth have some outstanding war songs however so they definitely beat some of Maiden's weaker ones.

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I can think of two right off the top of my head...

Sabbath - War Pigs - it's about politics, as opposed to do either ripping off a poem or movie, or merely relating what actually happened.

Queensryche - Surgical Strike - about how we train ("program") soldiers, pretty interesting, as it's about warfare, but not a specific war

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Of course, and usually that's the case. Which is why Maiden wins 98% of the time in these songs because to me they play better music than everyone :party: Metallica and Megadeth have some outstanding war songs however so they definitely beat some of Maiden's weaker ones.

I mean, not everybody can use the same chord progression 80% of the time :)

DethMaiden
01-15-2007, 12:00 PM

Sabbath - War Pigs - it's about politics, as opposed to do either ripping off a poem or movie, or merely relating what actually happened.

Queensryche - Surgical Strike - about how we train ("program") soldiers, pretty interesting, as it's about warfare, but not a specific war

Yes and yes :rocker:

As for Megadeth and Metallica, hell yes. Slayer used to write good ones too.

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes and yes :rocker:

As for Megadeth and Metallica, hell yes. Slayer used to write good ones too.
I like a lot of Megadeth's war related songs. "Peace Sells" for the win :horns:

JRA
01-15-2007, 12:07 PM

I laugh at people who think that the same chord progression over and over again in a song makes it a bad song.

ADD
01-15-2007, 12:08 PM
WOW. Thank you for helping me see the light, I think I should go listen to Lacuna Coil now because they are like, so much better OMIGAWD!1!

ADD
01-15-2007, 12:10 PM

Both great songs, but neither comes close to touching the likes of "The Trooper", "Two Minutes To Midnight", and yadda yadda yadda.....

ADD
01-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I like a lot of Megadeth's war related songs. "Peace Sells" for the win :horns:

Holy Wars.

/game over\

ADD
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Slayer used to write good ones too.

Ahh true.

"PROPAGANDA WAR ENSEMBLE, BURIAL TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
WOW. Thank you for helping me see the light, I think I should go listen to Lacuna Coil now because they are like, so much better OMIGAWD!1!

I guess you could, although I don't know why you'd say they're better. I know I certainly didn't :)

JRA
01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Holy Wars.

/game over\

I agree, and even though it goes into stuff about the Punisher, I still think its pretty relevant to the song.

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I laugh at people who think that the same chord progression over and over again in a song makes it a bad song.

I laugh at people that think creativity is merely imitating yourself.

JRA
01-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I laugh at people that think creativity is merely imitating yourself.

It might not be creativity, but that doesn't mean they aren't coming up with bad songs. Look at Van Halen, it could be argued, from some fancy schmancy big word view point, that they pretty much wrote the same song over and over again, but anybody, let alone you, are gonna tell me that Van Halen wrote bad songs...

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Both great songs, but neither comes close to touching the likes of "The Trooper", "Two Minutes To Midnight", and yadda yadda yadda.....

I disagree. "The Trooper" is great, and while the music still stands without lyrics the lyrics owe a great debt to an existing work of an art. Some points off for creativity, sorry :)

"Two Minutes To Midnight" is Maiden's top war song, in my opinion, because it does go outside of a "this is what happened yadda yadda box" and instead inserts some personal venom into the lyrics, which totally rocks.

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 12:16 PM
It might not be creativity, but that doesn't mean they aren't coming up with bad songs.
I didn't necessarily say they were bad songs because of that.

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Holy Wars.

/game over\
Great song! :horns:

JRA
01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Ahh true.

"PROPAGANDA WAR ENSEMBLE, BURIAL TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Too bad that one rips off Angel Of Death.

JRA
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I didn't necessarily say they were bad songs because of that.

By the way, I know I didn't say something like this directly, but when did I ever say that creativity was imitating yourself?

EvilCheeseWedge
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
By the way, I know I didn't say something like this directly, but when did I ever say that creativity was imitating yourself?
I don't think you did.

Div
01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Two Comments:

1.) They played a song about the Waffen SS in a church? Thats fucking awesome!!

2.) A good war song? Get a Sabaton album, songs written from the soldiers point of view. http://www.darklyrics.com/s/sabaton.html

DethMaiden
01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Paschendale and The Longest Day have better lyrics than most of the older Maiden war songs, except for the awesome 23:58, my favorite Maiden tune.

ADD
01-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Too bad that one rips off Angel Of Death.
:confused: Uhh, no.

ADD
01-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Paschendale and The Longest Day have better lyrics than most of the older Maiden war songs.
Definitely :metal:

JRA
01-15-2007, 02:09 PM
:confused: Uhh, no.

The intro is practically a cardboard cut-out.

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Whatever...I really enjoyed The Ascent of Everest, and being the person that told Brad about Reaper, and having seen them before, of course I enjoyed them.

I am booking a show in the summer, and they already said they would play, so...

Keep an eye and ear open for Reaper....

Maiden33
01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Paschendale and The Longest Day have better lyrics than most of the older Maiden war songs

I was about to say the same exact thing. Both of these songs are standouts when it comes to war-related songs and lyrics.

ADD
01-15-2007, 03:00 PM
The intro is practically a cardboard cut-out.
I listened to Seasons In The Abyss like an hour ago......I'm a bit more inclined to agree with you now.

powerslave_85
01-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Slayer used to write good ones too.
Slayer's best war song is "Screaming From the Sky."

JRA
01-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Slayer's best war song is "Screaming From the Sky."

What album is that on?

By the way, I just noticed your new sig? What the hell...?

powerslave_85
01-15-2007, 03:21 PM
What album is that on?

By the way, I just noticed your new sig? What the hell...?
Diabolus In Musica, I believe.

I hate the Pats. What more is there to explain? :lol:

JRA
01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Diabolus In Musica, I believe.

I hate the Pats. What more is there to explain? :lol:

Ah. I don't pay much attention to sports, so I thought Tom Brady might have done something despicable.

powerslave_85
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Ah. I don't pay much attention to sports, so I thought Tom Brady might have done something despicable.
Other than be insanely overrated? No, he hasn't done anything wrong.

es156
01-15-2007, 04:06 PM

:lol:

ADD
01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Next? :zzz:

ChildrenofSodom
01-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Reaper Overture
Grimoire
Cowboys From Hell (Pantera cover)
Poltergeist
Nile's Curse
Domination
Guitar Solo
March of the S.S. (this song fucking ruled)
Hellfire
Thou Art Dead
Drum solo (really bad one)
Apocalypto

So there.

I just noticed you forgot their openner (not on their written setlists)

Seek and Destroy (Metallica cover)

DethMaiden
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
I just noticed you forgot their openner (not on their written setlists)

Seek and Destroy (Metallica cover)

They only played the first minute or so...

ChildrenofSodom
01-26-2007, 07:49 PM
WOLFGANG REPORTS THAT REAPER HAS FOUND THEIR FIRST SINGER!!!!! HE SUPPOSEDLY SOUNDS LIKE JOEY B. FROM ANTHRAX!!! METAL!!!!!

go here to watch some videos of Wolfgang shredding

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=121850608