PDA

View Full Version : Hold At All Costs

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2006, 09:23 PM
What is the first part* of that Iced Earth song from? Is it an actual quote?

* "A mile or so away, my dearest friend in this world.........good lord strike me dead."

Angelripper
12-31-2006, 09:24 PM
What is the first part* of that Iced Earth song from? Is it an actual quote?

* "A mile or so away, my dearest friend in this world.........good lord strike me dead."
No, it's about Jon Schaffer's boyfriend.

www.google.com

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2006, 09:27 PM
No, it's about Jon Schaffer's boyfriend.

www.google.com

i did a scan of the verse on yahoo and they all led back to iced earth

Maiden33
12-31-2006, 09:28 PM
It's not a direct quote as far as I know, it's paraphrased from a situation.
Union General Hancock and Confederate General Armistead had been best friends before the war, but now they fought for opposing sides, opposite sides of the field, but the two of them had sworn that they would not die at the hands of the other.
Oddly, it's said that after Picket's Charge, Armistead was mortally wounded and his last request was to see General Hancock so the two could meet again before he died.
Yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2006, 09:33 PM
It's not a direct quote as far as I know, it's paraphrased from a situation.
Union General Hancock and Confederate General Armistead had been best friends before the war, but now they fought for opposing sides, opposite sides of the field, but the two of them had sworn that they would not die at the hands of the other.
Oddly, it's said that after Picket's Charge, Armistead was mortally wounded and his last request was to see General Hancock so the two could meet again before he died.
Yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

i had heard a similar story, but I didnt think it was a direct quote from them

Maiden33
12-31-2006, 09:41 PM
i had heard a similar story, but I didnt think it was a direct quote from them
Yep, true story, but not a direct quote.

Have you ever seen the movie Gettysburg?

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Yep, true story, but not a direct quote.

Have you ever seen the movie Gettysburg?

I might have a while ago

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2006, 09:48 PM
On a similar note, I found out Battle Hymn of the Republic is public domain, which means I can use the lyrics in a Living Martyr song :horns:

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Maiden33
12-31-2006, 10:27 PM
On a similar note, I found out Battle Hymn of the Republic is public domain, which means I can use the lyrics in a Living Martyr song :horns:

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Oh dear.

Div
12-31-2006, 11:34 PM
It's about General Armistead and General Hancock who both atteneded West Point together and were close friends but ended up on the opposite sides of the war. Part of it is a quote of Armistead who said, "If I ever fight against you may God strike me dead."

Armistead was inujured while leading his men in Picketts Charge (often shown with his hat on his sword, even tho it never happened) and he died two days later. Hancock was also wounded in the same battle but wasn't killed.

ChildrenofSodom
12-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Oh dear.

what? Do you like slavery?

Div
01-01-2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.ninjapirate.com/images/jesus-sins.jpg

Maiden33
01-01-2007, 05:58 PM
what? Do you like slavery?

Not by any means, I just find it funny that you're going to use lyrics from the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Especially because of how much I like to poke fun at Brad for his religious tendancies. All in good fun though.

ChildrenofSodom
01-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Not by any means, I just find it funny that you're going to use lyrics from the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Especially because of how much I like to poke fun at Brad for his religious tendancies. All in good fun though.

Brad has religious tendancies?

Maiden33
01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Brad has religious tendancies?

For quite a long time after I met him, he and I used to talk about our difference of opinion on religion... how he was into it all and I wasn't.

DethMaiden
01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
For quite a long time after I met him, he and I used to talk about our difference of opinion on religion... how he was into it all and I wasn't.

And now I pretty much hate preachers and churches and organized religion. I just dig me some Jesus :D

ChildrenofSodom
01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
And now I pretty much hate preachers and churches and organized religion. I just dig me some Jesus :D

amen. I am pretty much the same way. I like preachers and many that I have met personally (non-Catholics) are pretty nice and are in their position because they genuinely want to help people. Its just the big time preachers, megachurchs, the Vatican, televangelists, etc that I cant stand....

Not all religious people are bad, just the ones that claim to represent the rest. :D

Div
01-01-2007, 08:48 PM

Didn't you make a big stink a month ago about being agnostic?

DethMaiden
01-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Didn't you make a big stink a month ago about being agnostic?

Yeah, but I really don't know how to describe myself now. Christian Universalist, really.