PDA

View Full Version : Metal Band Genre Division

DethMaiden
12-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Heavy Metal: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Manowar, Nevermore, Iced Earth, Savatage, Black Sabbath, Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Motorhead, Pantera, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate

Power Metal: Edguy, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Manticora, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Stratovarius, Dragonforce, Kamelot

Thrash: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, Death Angel, Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Sepultura

Prog Metal: Queensrÿche, Evergrey, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Angra, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Mastodon

Doom Metal: My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Candlemass, Tiamat, Ahab, Dusk ov Shadows, Trouble

Death Metal: Death, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Dismember, Vader, Deicide, Obituary

Black Metal: Emperor, Immortal, Darkthrone, Dark Funeral, Mayhem, Burzum, Bathory

Melodic Death Metal: Arch Enemy, Carcass, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Kataklysm, Soilwork, Daylight Dies

Cool?

JRA
12-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Ya forgot Overkill.

DethMaiden
12-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Fixed.

DethMaiden
12-25-2006, 07:06 PM
By the way, I'm not gonna do the contest thing. Sneakbobcat?

JRA
12-25-2006, 07:30 PM
By the way, I'm not gonna do the contest thing. Sneakbobcat?

Then why are you doing this?

Also, I'd like to think that Dio and Manowar are power metal.

Div
12-25-2006, 07:43 PM

:nonono:

EDIT: and Iced Earth are thrash.

EDIT EDIT: and where are celtic frost, kamelot, king diamond, and finntroll?

DethMaiden
12-25-2006, 08:01 PM

He asked someone to do this, but said he'd still do the polling thing, and I'll be busy with the 2006 releases.

Maiden33
12-25-2006, 09:40 PM
I'd most glady run this.

DethMaiden
12-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I'd most glady run this.

Care to take over the genre lists?

MetalDrummer888
12-26-2006, 09:58 AM
well its impossible to imclude all the bands that everybody wants, but you really must include children of bodom

also . . . manowar really should be in power metal . . . and i have no idea where king diamond should go but its certainly not in "heavy metal" . . . i think thrash would be a better choice . . . or at least put mercyful fate in thrash.

speaking of thrash . . . iced earth is most definitely not power metal, they are thrash

just some suggestions

sneakbobcat
12-26-2006, 11:41 AM
I'd be happy to run this too...
But also, i've been talking with my friends, and we all agree that Iron Maiden are closer to Power Metal than HEAVY METAL, or they could go under Classic Metal.

Also where is Nu-Metal?? Godsmack, Slipknot, Disturbed, KoRn, Stone Sour,

Where's Motley Crue, Quiet Riot and Def Leppard?
Also i don't see Rammstein, Skid Row, Saxon, BLack Label Society, Machinehead, Lamb Of God, Chidren Of Bodom *as stated above, System Of A Down, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Tool, WASP, Yngwie Malmsteen, Soil, Cradle Of Filth???
You may even want to include some others that are considered Metal:
-Avenged Sevenfold
-Bleeding Through
-Atreyu
-36 Crazyfists
-Evanescence (Gothic Metal)
-Lacuna Coil
-Nightwish
-Within Temptation
-Killswitch Engage
-All That Remains
-Converge
-Unearth
-The Haunted
-Marilyn Manson
-Nine Inch Nails
-A Perfect Circle
-Montrose
-Mountain
-The Scorpions
-Static-X
-Whitesnake
-UFO

Now surely there must be some you're missing there..

JRA
12-26-2006, 01:12 PM

The quicker nu-metal is forgotten, the better.

Div
12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
i guess hair metal deserves a category too :hecho: but lets not push it with numetal ;) .

i think to get a good list people should vote for their top 10 bands in each category, then we combine them and use whatever bands got the most votes.

and manowar isnt power metal, listen to thier style, clearly classic metal.

DethMaiden
12-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Well ignore the original post in this. We'll have a voting session or something else.

Maiden33
12-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Manowar is most definately NOT a power metal band. Are people stupid? Manowar has traditional metal written all over them.

sneakbobcat
12-27-2006, 03:47 AM
We at least need Industrial and Gothic.

es156
12-27-2006, 06:16 AM
Are people stupid?

No.

But their opinion about Manowar might not be the same as yours.

JRA
12-27-2006, 06:41 AM
No.

But their opinion about Manowar might not be the same as yours.

:lol:

PowerMaiden
12-27-2006, 03:40 PM
good luck for finding the right sub genre for Children Of Bodom.

and to me there is only 4 category in music

1. Iron Maiden
2. Very Good
3. Good
4. Bad Shit

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
good luck for finding the right sub genre for Children Of Bodom.

I say they're a cross between power metal and thrash.

Div
12-27-2006, 05:58 PM
bodom is clearly some sort of death metal judging by the vocals

and what the hell is gothic metal? just cause a band uses an electric guitar doesnt make them a metal band

overkiller
12-27-2006, 07:23 PM

I wouldn't say that.

EDIT: and Iced Earth are thrash.

No, they aren't, but Stormrider and Burnt Offerings are.

bodom is clearly some sort of death metal judging by the vocals

No, vocals don't make death metal.

also . . . manowar really should be in power metal . . . and i have no idea where king diamond should go but its certainly not in "heavy metal" . . . i think thrash would be a better choice . . . or at least put mercyful fate in thrash.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

But also, i've been talking with my friends, and we all agree that Iron Maiden are closer to Power Metal than HEAVY METAL, or they could go under Classic Metal.

Also i don't see Rammstein, Skid Row, Saxon, BLack Label Society, Machinehead, Lamb Of God, Chidren Of Bodom *as stated above, System Of A Down, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Tool, WASP, Yngwie Malmsteen, Soil, Cradle Of Filth???
-Avenged Sevenfold
-Bleeding Through
-Atreyu
-36 Crazyfists
-Lacuna Coil
-Nightwish
-Within Temptation
-Killswitch Engage
-All That Remains
-Converge
-Unearth
-The Haunted
-Marilyn Manson
-Nine Inch Nails
-A Perfect Circle
-Montrose
-Mountain
-The Scorpions
-Static-X
-Whitesnake
-UFO

There is just so much wrong with this post.

This thread sucks.

Aren't you guys glad to have me back?

KillYourFace
12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
dont b mean!

overkiller
12-27-2006, 07:31 PM
dont b mean!

FUCK YOU

ChildrenofSodom
12-27-2006, 08:10 PM
FUCK YOU

b4n him

Div
12-28-2006, 11:03 AM

What about self titled and parts of Horror Show?

JRA
12-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't say that.

No, vocals don't make death metal.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

This thread sucks.

Aren't you guys glad to have me back?

I am, that shit was funny!

overkiller
12-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I am, that shit was funny!

:cool:

Spiral_Slave
12-28-2006, 08:39 PM

Overkiller, there's no way you can listen to tracks like ' Wolf ' and ' Jack ' and say that's not thrash.

JRA
12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Overkiller, there's no way you can listen to tracks like ' Wolf ' and ' Jack ' and say that's not thrash.

Wolf, maybe.

Jack, no.

Spiral_Slave
12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Wolf, maybe.

Jack, no.

Also I would think after it picks up, ' Dracula ' is sort of thrashy.

sneakbobcat
12-29-2006, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=overkiller;138085]

[QUOTE]

go on then.... tell me what's right... Do your best.

overkiller
12-29-2006, 04:50 PM
go on then.... tell me what's right... Do your best.

OK.

I don't think this is right, but maybe you can convince me.

Also where is Nu-Metal?? Godsmack, Slipknot, Disturbed, KoRn, Stone Sour

Nu-metal is really a misnomer as the bands which carry that tag aren't metal at all.

Although Motley Crue's old stuff is bonafide heavy metal, everything after those great albums lands them in the Glam genre, which places them outside of Metal and into Rock. Quiet Riot and Def Leppard are essentially Rock bands.

Rammstein isn't metal. Skid Row is metal, but too peripheral to really garner a mention in something like what Brad was doing with this thread (although I'm really not even sure what that is...). Saxon are a great mention. BLS, Machinehead, and Lamb of God can go to hell. COB, sure, whatever, but people are gonna get their panties in a knot if you try to place them in a genre because they can't accept that they're a power/speed band (the vocals do NOT make them a death or black band). System of a Down are horrible and not metal. Trivium are false; ripping off Metallica does not make you oldschool and does not cover up the fact that you are a shitty metalcore band. Bullet for My Valentine are horrible and are more -core than metal. Tool aren't metal. W.A.S.P., well, hell yeah. Yngwie is just shred, you don't need to mention him. Soil--?? don't know them. Cradle of Filth, well, they aren't necessarily as bad as everyone says, but they're hard to put in a genre. They're like traditional metal with extreme and gothic elements.

-Avenged Sevenfold
-Bleeding Through
-Atreyu
-36 Crazyfists
-Lacuna Coil
-Nightwish
-Within Temptation
-Killswitch Engage
-All That Remains
-Converge
-Unearth
-The Haunted
-Marilyn Manson
-Nine Inch Nails
-A Perfect Circle
-Montrose
-Mountain
-The Scorpions
-Static-X
-Whitesnake
-UFO

Did you mean to say "You may even want to include some others that are NOT considered Metal"? Avenged Sevenfold are not metal. Bleeding Through as far as I know are a core band and not metal. Same for Atreyu. 36 Crazyfists, from what I understand they fit the same bill. Evanescence are not metal. Lacuna Coil... you can call them metal, but I personally don't like to do so. I think of them more as a pop-rock band with some elements that get them the metal tag. Nightwish, ok, whatever, but you can skip them. Within Temptation, I'm not familiar with them except by name, which means they're probably peripheral enough to not need a mention, but I think they're metal. Killswitch Engage, more -core than metal. All That Remains, aren't they a shit melodeath band? Converge, not metal. Unearth, don't know them, aren't they also shit melodeath? The Haunted, melodeath halfthrash, avoid like the plague. Marilyn Manson, not metal (unless you are dumb enough to believe VH1). Nine Inch Nails? Hello?? What would possess you to think they're metal? A Perfect Circle are great but are far from metal. Mountain? Are you talking about the 70s rock band? Scorpions, sure, I'll give you them, although they're closer to rock in many places. Static-X, nu-"metal" crap. Whitesnake, glam. UFO, sure, but like the Scorpions, they walk the line between rock and metal.

That wasted more time than I thought it would. Hopefully you'll get a little bit of education out of it.

overkiller
12-29-2006, 04:58 PM

The s/t... I'll give you that. It's really inferior to the two albums that followed it, but it's mostly more or less thrash, just plagued by poor songwriting.

As for Horror Show... this basically applies for all later Iced Earth: Sure, it's got some thrashy riffs a la Jon's incessant rhythmic palm-muting, but their music simply has more of a heavy/traditional metal sound and feel than anything resembling thrash. Calling Iced Earth a thrash band really just isn't right.

ChildrenofSodom
12-29-2006, 05:03 PM
THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT BRADY!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for not ripping CoF apart :D

overkiller
12-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Thank you for not ripping CoF apart :D

No, I mean, they're an easy target because of their retarded mallcore fanbase, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a couple of their songs. It's that "Maiden-on-crack" stuff, it's amusing. For the most part, they're just a mediocre band, not a terrible one. That's not to say they don't have some material that's absolute shit, cause they do.

ChildrenofSodom
12-29-2006, 05:21 PM
No, I mean, they're an easy target because of their retarded mallcore fanbase, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a couple of their songs. It's that "Maiden-on-crack" stuff, it's amusing. For the most part, they're just a mediocre band, not a terrible one. That's not to say they don't have some material that's absolute shit, cause they do.

Yeah...They are by far not the best band out there, and some of their songs suck HARD. But on the flip side, some songs really stand out.

NP:
Her Ghost in the Fog-Cradle of Filth

sneakbobcat
12-29-2006, 05:41 PM
OK.

I don't think this is right, but maybe you can convince me.

Nu-metal is really a misnomer as the bands which carry that tag aren't metal at all.

Although Motley Crue's old stuff is bonafide heavy metal, everything after those great albums lands them in the Glam genre, which places them outside of Metal and into Rock. Quiet Riot and Def Leppard are essentially Rock bands.

Rammstein isn't metal. Skid Row is metal, but too peripheral to really garner a mention in something like what Brad was doing with this thread (although I'm really not even sure what that is...). Saxon are a great mention. BLS, Machinehead, and Lamb of God can go to hell. COB, sure, whatever, but people are gonna get their panties in a knot if you try to place them in a genre because they can't accept that they're a power/speed band (the vocals do NOT make them a death or black band). System of a Down are horrible and not metal. Trivium are false; ripping off Metallica does not make you oldschool and does not cover up the fact that you are a shitty metalcore band. Bullet for My Valentine are horrible and are more -core than metal. Tool aren't metal. W.A.S.P., well, hell yeah. Yngwie is just shred, you don't need to mention him. Soil--?? don't know them. Cradle of Filth, well, they aren't necessarily as bad as everyone says, but they're hard to put in a genre. They're like traditional metal with extreme and gothic elements.

Did you mean to say "You may even want to include some others that are NOT considered Metal"? Avenged Sevenfold are not metal. Bleeding Through as far as I know are a core band and not metal. Same for Atreyu. 36 Crazyfists, from what I understand they fit the same bill. Evanescence are not metal. Lacuna Coil... you can call them metal, but I personally don't like to do so. I think of them more as a pop-rock band with some elements that get them the metal tag. Nightwish, ok, whatever, but you can skip them. Within Temptation, I'm not familiar with them except by name, which means they're probably peripheral enough to not need a mention, but I think they're metal. Killswitch Engage, more -core than metal. All That Remains, aren't they a shit melodeath band? Converge, not metal. Unearth, don't know them, aren't they also shit melodeath? The Haunted, melodeath halfthrash, avoid like the plague. Marilyn Manson, not metal (unless you are dumb enough to believe VH1). Nine Inch Nails? Hello?? What would possess you to think they're metal? A Perfect Circle are great but are far from metal. Mountain? Are you talking about the 70s rock band? Scorpions, sure, I'll give you them, although they're closer to rock in many places. Static-X, nu-"metal" crap. Whitesnake, glam. UFO, sure, but like the Scorpions, they walk the line between rock and metal.

That wasted more time than I thought it would. Hopefully you'll get a little bit of education out of it.

hahahahahahahahahahaha :D you are wrong in some cases there. in most cases.. Ofcourse there are a few i wouldn't call metal myself. which is why i put "are considered metal" you pretty much told me im right tha other large amounts of people call them metal too..

VH1

And may i also point out my post couldn't have been totally wrong.

W.A.S.P., well, hell yeah......

Scorpions, sure, I'll give you them,

But thanks for your opinion anyway... I hope most people here would agree most of those bands are CONSIDERED metal.

Thankyou. Please read closer into my text and do a little research into what you're saying before you tell me i'm wrong.

P.S. If you still think that a lot of those bands aren't metal, I value your opinion. But there's no need to go shouting it out all the time.
You did it to many people's posts.

Does anyone agree with me?

Also if you're telling me im wrong by saying they are metal bands. Name me a metal band OTHER than those specified in the original post.. I'm curious as to what you come up with.

overkiller
12-29-2006, 05:58 PM
hahahahahahahahahahaha :D you are wrong in some cases there. in most cases.. Ofcourse there are a few i wouldn't call metal myself. which is why i put "are considered metal" you pretty much told me im right tha other large amounts of people call them metal too..

And may i also point out my post couldn't have been totally wrong.

But thanks for your opinion anyway... I hope most people here would agree most of those bands are CONSIDERED metal.

Thankyou. Please read closer into my text and do a little research into what you're saying before you tell me i'm wrong.

P.S. If you still think that a lot of those bands aren't metal, I value your opinion. But there's no need to go shouting it out all the time.
You did it to many people's posts.

Does anyone agree with me?

Also if you're telling me im wrong by saying they are metal bands. Name me a metal band OTHER than those specified in the original post.. I'm curious as to what you come up with.

I can't even make sense of this.

ChildrenofSodom
12-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I can't even make sense of this.

I can.

Maiden33
12-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Whitesnake, glam.

False.

Listen to "Wings of the Storm", "Sailing Ships", or many other songs and you will see what I mean. Whitesnake isn't necessarily metal, moreso melodic hard rock, but they are by no means a glam band.

ADD
12-29-2006, 06:38 PM
False.

Listen to "Wings of the Storm", "Sailing Ships", or many other songs and you will see what I mean. Whitesnake isn't necessarily metal, moreso melodic hard rock, but they are by no means a glam band.

I agree. No way Whitesnake is glam.

DethMaiden
12-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Whitesnake falls under the same category as Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, whatever category that is.

powerslave_85
12-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I will defend to the death my opinion that Converge is metal. I mean, yeah, at heart they're a hardcore band, but you can't listen to shit like "No Heroes" and "To the Lions" and say they're not at least partially a metal band.

ChildrenofSodom
12-29-2006, 08:53 PM
I will defend to the death my opinion that Converge is metal. I mean, yeah, at heart they're a hardcore band, but you can't listen to shit like "No Heroes" and "To the Lions" and say they're not at least partially a metal band.

while I dont like Converge very much, I agree

Div
12-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Whitesnake falls under the same category as Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, whatever category that is.

"classic rock" I think it's now known as, was just rock n' roll back in the day. other bands for this category are def leppard, pink floyd, the who, ac/dc, rolling stones, van halen, etc.

Maiden33
12-29-2006, 10:11 PM
"classic rock" I think it's now known as, was just rock n' roll back in the day. other bands for this category are def leppard, pink floyd, the who, ac/dc, rolling stones, van halen, etc.

I can't say I'm comfortable putting Whitesnake in the same genre as most of all those bands. To me Whitesnake should be held along bands such as Deep Purple and Rainbow. To me Whitesnake shouldn't be considered "classic rock"... to me the term "Melodic hard rock" gets the point across perfectly.