PDA

View Full Version : The Fifty Essential Prog Records

DethMaiden
12-17-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm currently working on this list, with the ones I own in bold. The original list had 52, but to shave it to a nice round number I got rid of a greatest hits collection and a live album (which I accidentally bought, not realizing it was just live shit). So tell me which of the non-bold ones I should make it a goal to get next, and if you're especially bored, embolden the ones you own:party:

The Alan Parsons Project- Tales of Mystery and Imagination
The Alan Parsons Project- Eye in the Sky
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe- Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe
Arena- The Visitor
Asia- Asia
Ayreon- Into the Electric Castle
The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Camel- The Snow Goose
Dream Theater- Images and Words
Electric Light Orchestra- Eldorado
Emerson, Lake and Palmer- Tarkus
Emerson, Lake and Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery
Fish- Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors
Focus- Moving Waves
Genesis- Foxtrot
Genesis- Selling England By the Pound
Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
IQ- Subterranea
Jeff Wayne- The War of the Worlds
Jethro Tull- Thick As a Brick
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Electric Ladyland
Kansas- Leftoverture
King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson- Red
Landmarq- Infinity Parade
Marillion- Misplaced Childhood
Marillion- Brave
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells
The Nice- Five Bridges
Pendragon- Masquerade Overture
Peter Gabriel- So
Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd- The Wall
Porcupine Tree- Stupid Dream
Queen- A Night At the Opera
Queensr˙che- Operation: Mindcrime
Roger Waters- The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
Rush- Hemispheres
Saga- Generation 13
Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Spock’s Beard- The Light
Supertramp- Paris
Tangerine Dream- Tangram
U2- The Joshua Tree
UK- UK
Van Der Graaf Generator- H to He Who Am the Only One
Vangelis- Spiral
The Who- Tommy
Yes- Close to the Edge
Yes- 90125

Maiden33
12-17-2006, 05:57 PM
If you do this, I'm making a 50 essential power metal albums list.

JRA
12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Kansas- Leftoverture

Is "Carry On My Wayward Son" on there? That was on Guitar Hero 2 as an encore it was awesome to hear!

es156
12-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Now that is a bizarre list. Since when are the Beatles prog? Or Mike Oldfield? Or U2?

:confused:

JRA
12-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Get Sgt. Peppers.

Div
12-17-2006, 09:13 PM
U2? What is the matter w...

ew, I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth

ADD
12-17-2006, 09:22 PM
This is a weird list.

Angelripper
12-18-2006, 12:55 AM
If you do this, I'm making a 50 essential power metal albums list.
No. No. No.

DethMaiden
12-18-2006, 03:33 AM
Is "Carry On My Wayward Son" on there? That was on Guitar Hero 2 as an encore it was awesome to hear!

Yes.

And to those who find it bizarre, the listmakers justified it by saying you don't have to be a prog band to make a prog album. So, the ones that aren't really prog aren't ones I have yet, so I can't judge, but I expect this to hold true.

SomewhereInTime72
12-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Ew what a terrible list. :hecho:

Of those, I recommend 90125, Asia, and Stupid Dream. In that order I suppose.

But seriously just get Lark's Tongues In Aspic by King Crimson instead. Fuck this list.

Fe Maiden
12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
This is a weird list.Yeah, while I like some of the choices there are many others I would have picked instead of some of the others. It is, however, a matter of taste or opinion.

ADD
12-18-2006, 02:31 PM
But seriously just get Lark's Tongues In Aspic by King Crimson instead. Fuck this list.

Absolute truth.

zgodt
12-19-2006, 07:32 AM
The Joshua Tree is prog? :confused:

es156
12-19-2006, 10:44 AM
The Joshua Tree is prog? :confused:

No, it's not. But neither is half of that list.

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-19-2006, 04:06 PM
THE GREATEST PROG/METAL ALBUM EVER RECORDED!

IF YOU LIKE PROG METAL BUT THINK Queensrÿche IS A BIT BORING AT TIMES THIS ALBUM IS FOR YOU.

ITS A MIX OF PROG-METAL AND THRASH!
(ONE OF HECHO'S FAV. ALBUM'S OF ALL FUCKIN' TIME)

FATES WARNING AWAKEN THE GUARDIAN
http://truemetal.org/metalwallpaper/images/awakentheguardian.jpg

zgodt
12-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Hecho speaks truth. :cool:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Hecho speaks truth. :cool:

THANK YOU MY FRIEND.

Maiden33
12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Awaken the Guardian is a very good albumn, though I must say, I prefer Parallels... I fucking love that album to death.

ADD
12-19-2006, 10:13 PM
I have 'Awaken The Guardian'....only listened to it once though I think. Hmm.

DethMaiden
12-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Okay, then. Fuck this list. Recommend me your top picks for prog that I probably or might not already have. Larks' Tongues In Aspic and Awaken The Guardian, check.

ADD
12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Okay, then. Fuck this list. Recommend me your top picks for prog that I probably or might not already have. Larks' Tongues In Aspic and Awaken The Guardian, check.

Mahuvishnu Orchestra's 'The Inner Mounting Flame'. You'll love it. Also if you want more Yes, 'Relayer' is essential.

DethMaiden
12-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Mahuvishnu Orchestra's 'The Inner Mounting Flame'. You'll love it. Also if you want more Yes, 'Relayer' is essential.

:fist: Thank you.

SomewhereInTime72
12-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm going to make some really nonstandard "prog" reccomendations. Because I'm like that. :eyes:

Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes - Fuck Opeth, this stuf is tr00 mixing of prog and death metal. If you don't have this album already... well you probably should. ;)

King Crimson - Discipline - A King Crimson album on this list really requires no explanation. Besides the ones that have been noted already in this thread, this is definitely their best.

Tool - Aenema - I know Tool aren't really popular on this board, and you may already have this and like/dislike it. But I'm going to say it anyway. It's a great album, as well as other Tool albums, if you choose to hear it that way. It took me a long time to get into Tool because of this, but now they're one of my favorite bands.

X Japan - Art Of Life - The album is only 29 minutes long or so, but it's all one big song with an intensely long piano section. It's prog-metal-tastic and I would say its something like a proggier, faster, version of SSOASS Maiden (of course not as amazing). Maybe just download the song or something, since material by X Japan is pretty impossible to find though.

Yes - 90125 - This album has some of my personal favorites by Yes. It's one of the few albums made that successfully bridges pop and prog. Definitely worth owning.

Maiden33
12-21-2006, 02:29 PM
My picks, some of these are prog with a bit of power metal, but still revered as prog by many, most importantly my authority on the subject that turned me onto some of them.

Symphony X - V
Royal Hunt - Paradox
Fates Warning - Parallels
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera, Dead Winter Dead
Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
Angra - Rebirth

Fe Maiden
01-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Also if you want more Yes, 'Relayer' is essential.I would add Yes: Drama to that as well:D

overkiller
01-04-2007, 04:19 PM
most importantly my authority on the subject

lol

Maiden33
01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
lol

I wasn't refering to myself... I was talking about my good friend who LOVES Prog rock and metal.

overkiller
01-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I wasn't refering to myself... I was talking about my good friend who LOVES Prog rock and metal.

whoops

Fe Maiden
01-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I would add Yes: Drama to that as well:DIn fact I plan to buy the remastered version of this!!!