PDA

View Full Version : The Hip-Hop discussion thread

JRA
12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
So I've been noticing that there are in fact folks around here who do listen to hip-hop and aren't ashamed to admit it. I personally have been listening to it since the beginning of this year. As of right now, I own

Public Enemy: It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Eric B. & Rakim: Paid In Full
The Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique

So far, all three of these own. I've been using the top twenty list at Digitaldreamdoor.com as a buyer's guide. I'm sticking strictly to the classics at this point. I have no interest in Eminem's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog impersonations or Fergie's sorry excuses to get ladies on the dance floor.

So, yea... start talkin.

ChildrenofSodom
12-13-2006, 06:11 PM
I like R&B stuff, that isnt vulgar....

i like Vanilla Ice, Mc Hammer, and alot of those style (slow, rythmic rapping).

JRA
12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I like R&B stuff, that isnt vulgar....

i like Vanilla Ice, Mc Hammer, and alot of those style (slow, rythmic rapping).

Rakim isn't vulgar, or at least Paid In Full isn't.

DethMaiden
12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I dig Eminem a little.

JRA
12-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I dig Eminem a little.

And I am, whatever you say I am
If I wasn't, then why would I say I am, 2000

I'm the R, the A, to the K-I-M
If I wasn't then why would I say I am, 1987

Nuff said.:cool:

DethMaiden
12-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Nuff said.:cool:

I think Eminem's real-life lyrics are very good but his run-of-the-mill "yo bitch" lyrics are as detestable as the entire rap scene. But songs like "Stan" show that Eminem's a fairly brilliant guy.

powerslave_85
12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
These days, the only hip-hop I listen to is Beastie Boys and Lady Sovereign, who's a 19 year old white British girl who just so happens to be one of the best and most interesting rappers around.

powerslave_85
12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
I think Eminem's real-life lyrics are very good but his run-of-the-mill "yo bitch" lyrics are as detestable as the entire rap scene. But songs like "Stan" show that Eminem's a fairly brilliant guy.
Eminem has some brilliant, powerful shit, but before he knew it MTV had him by the balls and he just kept putting out those garbage novelty, "funny" songs.

DethMaiden
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Eminem has some brilliant, powerful shit, but before he knew it MTV had him by the balls and he just kept putting out those garbage novelty, "funny" songs.

Yeah, but he has his moments. Stuff about his daughter, though I can't recall any titles, is always particularly moving. And what was that song with Dido? That one was great too.

JRA
12-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah, but he has his moments. Stuff about his daughter, though I can't recall any titles, is always particularly moving. And what was that song with Dido? That one was great too.

That one was Stan.

DethMaiden
12-13-2006, 06:33 PM
That one was Stan.

Hah, I just remembered that it was. So yes, songs that are more emotional by Eminem are quite good.

powerslave_85
12-13-2006, 06:37 PM
The songs about his daughter were really touching at first, but after a while he started putting more than one on every album, and it got old. Some of my favorite songs were on "The Eminem Show," especially "Till I Collapse." That song is heavy as shit.

Of course, ain't no white boy who's got shit on the Beasties. "The Patty Duke, the wrench, and then I bust the tango/ Got more rhymes than Jamaica got mangoes!"

JRA
12-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Of course, ain't no white boy who's got shit on the Beasties. "The Patty Duke, the wrench, and then I bust the tango/ Got more rhymes than Jamaica got mangoes!"

I was listening to that song earlier, but I can't remember what it was, I'll guess it was...Shake Your Rump?

powerslave_85
12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
I was listening to that song earlier, but I can't remember what it was, I'll guess it was...Shake Your Rump?
Yeah.

KillYourFace
12-13-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm a big fan of early 90s rap. My favorite albums are

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Dr Dre - The Chronic
Notorious BIG - Ready To Die, and Life after Death
Outkast - Southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik
Del The Funky Homosapien - Both sides of the brain

Wrathchild_84
12-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I love rap up until 94 after that it all began to sound the same, but I love N.W.A, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Ice Cube (I'm going to put predator on in few minutes), The Ghetto Boys, Public Enemy, some Dr. Dre, some Jay-Z, Snoop Doggy Dogg. I will say right now that I think Puff Daddy or Diddy or what ever the fuck his name is this week is the most talent less person ever to make it in the music business. I

SomewhereInTime72
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I really like NWA.

Also, say what you want about Eminem's funny material, but "Criminal" is too fuckin good. :D

JRA
12-13-2006, 08:21 PM
I will say right now that I think Puff Daddy or Diddy or what ever the fuck his name is this week is the most talent less person ever to make it in the music business. I

I think he was involved in Biggie Small's murder.

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
http://www.rap-2-pac.narod.ru/foto/vip/6/nwa5.JPG

http://www.l4dg.de/Hip%20Hop%20Alben/n.w.a_-_greatest_hits.jpg

Angelripper
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I like lots of Hip Hop. Mainstream, old stuff, s'all good.

Wrathchild_84
12-13-2006, 09:59 PM
I love rap up until 94 after that it all began to sound the same, but I love N.W.A, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Ice Cube (I'm going to put predator on in few minutes), The Ghetto Boys, Public Enemy, some Dr. Dre, some Jay-Z, Snoop Doggy Dogg. I will say right now that I think Puff Daddy or Diddy or what ever the fuck his name is this week is the most talent less person ever to make it in the music business. I

Looks like quick reply has hacked off part of another one of my messages again, I mentioned how I think "grillz" look gaytarded.

Div
12-13-2006, 11:34 PM
close this fucking thread

Wrathchild_84
12-14-2006, 02:58 PM
close this fucking thread

Why should we not be not be allowed to discuss a form of music other then metal? If you donít like donít listen to it.

ChildrenofSodom
12-14-2006, 06:05 PM
allow me to read off the hip-hop tapes that my WHITE, ex-cop grandpa has on his shelf:

Public Enemy, Snoop Doggy Dogg, the Two Live Crew, Salt N Pepa, Technotronic, MC Hammer, Coolio, Vanilla Ice, Bobby Brown, Tag Team, Milli Vanilli etc..

Plus, his coworker stole his sons CDs, so my Grandpa has them all.......featuring:
Master P, Pastor Troy, Lil Wayne, Mobb Deep, Three Six Mafia, Tupac, etc.

And he told me he went to a Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer show :eyes:

Thank God For Metal

DethMaiden
12-14-2006, 06:12 PM
ex-cop

He probably confiscated them from thieves and wifebeaters.

JRA
12-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Plus, his coworker stole his sons CDs, so my Grandpa has them all.......featuring:

Your Grandpa has all that? :lol:

That's...awesome.

ChildrenofSodom
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
He probably confiscated them from thieves and wifebeaters.

no..he actually owns them, and listens to most of them....often times succumbing to the urge to dance very whitely.

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2006, 09:25 AM
often times succumbing to the urge to dance very whitely.:eyes: :eyes:

hot_turkey_ed
12-15-2006, 11:06 AM
allow me to read off the hip-hop tapes that my WHITE, ex-cop grandpa has on his shelf:

Public Enemy, Snoop Doggy Dogg, the Two Live Crew, Salt N Pepa, Technotronic, MC Hammer, Coolio, Vanilla Ice, Bobby Brown, Tag Team, Milli Vanilli etc..

And he told me he went to a Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer show :eyes:

Thank God For Metal

No NWA?

:wtf:

hot_turkey_ed
12-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Why should we not be not be allowed to discuss a form of music other then metal? If you donít like donít listen to it.

:fist:

General Chat = "Post your off-topic bullshit in here but the remember the Law still applies." Hip Hop often qualifies as bullshit.... :tongue:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2006, 12:32 PM
NWA RULES!

http://myspace-163.vo.llnwd.net/01563/36/19/1563199163_l.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I think Mike wants to be Pavo.

overkiller
12-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Yep, old-school rap is win.

JRA
12-15-2006, 01:47 PM
:fist:

General Chat = "Post your off-topic bullshit in here but the remember the Law still applies." Hip Hop often qualifies as bullshit.... :tongue:

Ba-ZING!!!

:lol:

zgodt
12-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Contemporary underground hip hop > contemporary underground metal

Here's what I've been listening to and loving the last couple of weeks:

The Coup - Steal This Double Album
The Roots - Game Theory
Talib Kweli - Quality

These three albums are absolutely amazing hip hop records -- brilliant rhymes, great music (especially The Roots, who play "real" instruments), and far more personally and socially conscious than anything you get from radio or MTV.

KillYourFace
12-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Anything by A tribe called quest is fucking chill

JRA
12-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Anything by A tribe called quest is fucking chill

I think the next hip-hop album I buy might be Low End Theory.

tmactaggart
12-20-2006, 12:02 PM
I do really like the old school hip hop. Certainly owns any of the drivel you get these days. NWA really are just immense, after hearing them you lol at the 'gangsta' shit like The Game, Onyx and all you see these days. Also Run DMC, Eminem, Snoop Dogg are quite good for a wee listen.

But Public Enemy are easily teh best. Their first 3 albums are just too good. And I would reccomend going to see them live if you like them or old school hip. Put on a great show of over 2 hours, a great set with all teh songs you wanna hear (Unlike some (*COUGH* MAIDEN*COUGH*) and with 10 members onstage it cant go wrong.

KillYourFace
12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I think the next hip-hop album I buy might be Low End Theory.

you wont be dissapointed

JRA
10-23-2007, 08:56 PM
you wont be dissapointed

*NECROMNACE*

Holy shit no I was not dissapointed, Low End Theory actually just might be my favorite Rap album.

ADD
10-23-2007, 09:08 PM
The boys in the hood is always hard, you come talkin that trash we'll pull your card
Know nothin in life but to be legit, don't quote me homie I ain't said shit

Div
10-23-2007, 09:46 PM
not this shit again :hecho:

ADD
10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
What about some Too Short?

SirLardsAlot
10-23-2007, 11:58 PM
My silly posts aside, I love the Beastie Boys, always have. Aside from that though, I'm really not a fan.