PDA

View Full Version : What Pink Floyd album should I buy next?

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm starting to get seriously into Pink Floyd, and someone needs to tell me which album of theirs I need next. I'll be hitting the mall Saturday or Sunday, so by then I'll be buying whatever has the most votes, or whatever someone makes the best argument in favor of. Thanks for the help in advance :horns:

Div
12-11-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm starting to get seriously into Pink Floyd, and someone needs to tell me which album of theirs I need next. I'll be hitting the mall Saturday or Sunday, so by then I'll be buying whatever has the most votes, or whatever someone makes the best argument in favor of. Thanks for the help in advance :horns:

I was a huge Floyd fan back in highschool, and you need to get the Wall dvd.

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 05:40 PM
I was a huge Floyd fan back in highschool, and you need to get the Wall dvd.

I've seen it twice, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting it for Christmas :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
12-11-2006, 05:43 PM
wow....metal down to Pink Floyd....weird

Div
12-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I've seen it twice, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting it for Christmas :cool:

:lol: I remember making all my english assignments about contemplating the hidden meanings behind that story.

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
:lol: I remember making all my english assignments about contemplating the hidden meanings behind that story.

:fist: :D I'd do that about The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway if I had an assignment that was open-ended enough.

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
wow....metal down to Pink Floyd....weird

omg metal ya

Div
12-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Meddle is the way to go, it has "Echoes" one of their best songs ever made.

ChildrenofSodom
12-11-2006, 06:06 PM
omg metal ya

its just a weird, backwards transition

es156
12-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Meddle is the way to go, it has "Echoes" one of their best songs ever made.

I would partially agree with this, in that I love the song Echoes and I think it is essential in the Floyd catalog. However, Animals gets my vote because I think that it is the stronger album overall. Momentary Lapse is also very good.

By the way, Echoes was amazing when Gilmour played it live this year.

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
its just a weird, backwards transition

Backwards?! HA! I still love metal, but I've come to realize that there's not a terribly large amount of bands I enjoy within it, and that it's almost too easy to do these days. Prog is slowly replacing metal as my bread and butter of listening, with metal becoming my "sometimes" music.

Div
12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I would partially agree with this, in that I love the song Echoes and I think it is essential in the Floyd catalog. However, Animals gets my vote because I think that it is the stronger album overall. Momentary Lapse is also very good.

By the way, Echoes was amazing when Gilmour played it live this year.

I was dissapointed cause when I bought the album "Echoes" (best of collection) they cut the actual song Echoes down by like 5 minutes :(

I'd say Animals is a great album also, dissapointment might be felt though because it's only 5 tracks long (4 if you don't count the last one cause its the same as the first)

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 06:15 PM
I'd say Animals is a great album also, dissapointment might be felt though because it's only 5 tracks long (4 if you don't count the last one cause its the same as the first)

Some of the greatest albums of all time have very few songs. In the Court of the Crimson King has 5, Hemispheres has 4, Wish You Were Here has 5, etc.

Div
12-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Some of the greatest albums of all time have very few songs. In the Court of the Crimson King has 5, Hemispheres has 4, Wish You Were Here has 5, etc.

Did someone say greatest album of all time?
http://www.amazon.com/Private-Investigations-Dire-Straits-Knopfler/dp/B000BI0WOA

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Did someone say greatest album of all time?
http://www.amazon.com/Private-Investigations-Dire-Straits-Knopfler/dp/B000BI0WOA

Funny, doesn't look like Mindcrime OR The Lamb Lies Down. :eyes:

Div
12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Funny, doesn't look like Mindcrime OR The Lamb Lies Down. :eyes:

You haven't lived until you've experienced those songs :allan:

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 06:24 PM
You haven't lived until you've experienced those songs :allan:

The Sultans of Swing does bring a wide smile to my face when it comes on the radio.

es156
12-11-2006, 06:25 PM
I was dissapointed cause when I bought the album "Echoes" (best of collection) they cut the actual song Echoes down by like 5 minutes :(

I don't have that collection, but that would suck. I was surprised when Gilmour played the entire song in concert. The guitar solos were :drool: It was practically worth the price of admission just for that song.

Animals is great no matter how long it is. You could say it is really only 3 songs long since the other 2 are just kind of an intro/outro. But those 3 songs are excellent, especially Dogs.

SomewhereInTime72
12-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't vote because I can't pick between Animals, Meddle, and A Saucerful Of Secrets and think you should buy all three. :tongue:

. Prog is slowly replacing metal as my bread and butter of listening, with metal becoming my "sometimes" music.

Hahah, this makes me think of me about 10 months ago... just wait till some j-rock knocks you off course now :eyes: :eyes: .

powerslave_85
12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
ANIMALS
ANIMALS
ANIMALS

It's my favorite album of theirs, hands down.

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-11-2006, 10:54 PM
http://myspace-906.vo.llnwd.net/01536/60/95/1536145906_l.jpg

DethMaiden
12-12-2006, 03:34 AM
Hahah, this makes me think of me about 10 months ago... just wait till some j-rock knocks you off course now :eyes: :eyes: .

I hope not :snivel:

ChildrenofSodom
12-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Backwards?! HA! I still love metal, but I've come to realize that there's not a terribly large amount of bands I enjoy within it, and that it's almost too easy to do these days. Prog is slowly replacing metal as my bread and butter of listening, with metal becoming my "sometimes" music.

i'm just saying that usually kids listen to Pink Floyd and Sabbath then move to Megadeth/Metallica then to harder stuff.........

You are listening to metal, then move down to rock. I'm not criticizing you, just maybe an observation.

DethMaiden
12-12-2006, 06:04 AM
i'm just saying that usually kids listen to Pink Floyd and Sabbath then move to Megadeth/Metallica then to harder stuff.........

You are listening to metal, then move down to rock. I'm not criticizing you, just maybe an observation.

Well, not rock per se, prog rock. Two totally different things. I can't help it if idiots dig The Dark Side of the Moon, they'll do what they will, point is, Floyd make great music.

Fe Maiden
12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Animals for Sheep alone! What a trippy song!

Wrathchild_84
12-12-2006, 11:37 AM
The Piper At the Gates Of Dawn is my favorite Pink Floyd album, so I would say get that.

Fe Maiden
12-12-2006, 03:21 PM
http://myspace-906.vo.llnwd.net/01536/60/95/1536145906_l.jpgI think that means Animals:eyes:

DethMaiden
12-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Bought Animals today :D

Angelripper
12-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I think you should definately try the Syd Barret Floyd.

Therefore, my vote goes to Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

JRA
12-13-2006, 05:51 PM

I think I'm coming to the end of the run in terms of metal albums. I mean, I still have a long ways to go: The rest of pre-Chaos Sepultura, Venom, Bathory, the rest of Children Of Bodom's back catalog, a couple Death albums, Mastodon's Remission, the Scorpions (?) and a couple others. But I'm getting more interested in the land of punk and hip-hop. I'll probably still listen to metal more than anything else in the meantime.

With that out of the way, what's the FIRST Pink Floyd album I should get?

DethMaiden
12-13-2006, 05:53 PM

WISH YOU WERE FUCKING HERE

Div
12-13-2006, 11:37 PM
I think I'm coming to the end of the run in terms of metal albums. I mean, I still have a long ways to go: The rest of pre-Chaos Sepultura, Venom, Bathory, the rest of Children Of Bodom's back catalog, a couple Death albums, Mastodon's Remission, the Scorpions (?) and a couple others. But I'm getting more interested in the land of punk and hip-hop. I'll probably still listen to metal more than anything else in the meantime.

The Wall, no question.

http://www.allfloyd.com/images/the_wall/hammer.gif