PDA

View Full Version : MASTODON nominated for Grammy

powerslave_85
12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
"Colony of Birchmen" got a nomination for best metal performance. The other nominees:
Lamb of God- Redneck
Ministry- Lies, Lies, Lies
Slayer- Eyes of the Insane
Stone Sour- 30/30-150

Bitch all you want about the Grammys, but I think it's a big honor to be nominated. Go Mastodon! :party:

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Another article said that Celtic Frost has been on the list of nominees, but they cut they list down significantly....

Stone Sour is going to win though.

JRA
12-07-2006, 11:06 AM
There are better songs on Blood Mountain than Colony Of Birchmen.

powerslave_85
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
There are better songs on Blood Mountain than Colony Of Birchmen.
Well, I'm pretty sure that to be nominated, it had to be released as a single.

Wrathchild_84
12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
If Stone Sour or Lamb Of God win I'm gonna kill myself :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
If Stone Sour or Lamb Of God win I'm gonna kill myself :eyes:

Its the Grammy's...voting is open to all people, not just clear-minded metalheads......that means all the metalcore, mallgoth, faggoth, numetal, emo, screamo, post-hardcore-nholers will be voting

DethMaiden
12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
The Mastodon and Slayer songs nominated are both quite good, I really hope one of them wins it.

powerslave_85
12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Its the Grammy's...voting is open to all people, not just clear-minded metalheads......that means all the metalcore, mallgoth, faggoth, numetal, emo, screamo, post-hardcore-nholers will be voting
Yeah, because there's SO MANY mallgoth Grammy voters.

DethMaiden
12-07-2006, 11:40 AM

:lol:

They're all industry moguls who don't listen to music.

Div
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
If they win the grammys wouldnt that just prove they're sell outs?

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM

I dont know...Do you vote.?

OHHHHHHHHHSNAPPPPZZZ

DethMaiden
12-07-2006, 11:46 AM

Jethro Tull beat Guns n' Roses in 1987. Chew on that.

powerslave_85
12-07-2006, 11:47 AM
You don't have any idea how Grammy voting works, do you?

EDIT: To ChildrenOfSodom

SomewhereInTime72
12-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Only not-shitty song there is Mastodon. So they probably wont win.

DethMaiden
12-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Only not-shitty song there is Mastodon. So they probably wont win.

Have you heard Eyes of the Insane? It's one of like four good songs on Christ Illusion.

SomewhereInTime72
12-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Have you heard Eyes of the Insane? It's one of like four good songs on Christ Illusion.

Peh. I listened to the first 4 songs and Cult. I thought they were all shitty and didnt bother with the rest of the album. :hmm:

Div
12-07-2006, 12:09 PM

but that's cause Jethro Tull is so awesome that they can smack down GnR's hair metal whoring ;)

JRA
12-07-2006, 12:47 PM

That's a good thing, the less credibility given to Guns N Roses, the better.

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2006, 12:55 PM
You don't have any idea how Grammy voting works, do you?

EDIT: To ChildrenOfSodom

yeah....i guess i was mistaking the Grammies for Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards :eek:

Wrathchild_84
12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
That's a good thing, the less credibility given to Guns N Roses, the better.

Yeah, and where do people get GNR being a metal band from anyway? They sound like a bar band from Ohio. Some of they’re stuff is catchy but some people act like they’re the gods of metal when they sound nothing like metal.

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah, and where do people get GNR being a metal band from anyway? They sound like a bar band from Ohio. .

oh come on....Ohio doesnt breed redneck shit bigmouth bands......believe it or not, our rural/suburban scene is getting pretty big......Once Hawthorne Heights left, THINKTANK TOOK OVER :shred:

ADD
12-07-2006, 02:56 PM
IDIOT.

:boohoo: I'm just not gonna try.....put it this way; if someone hands you a Medal of Honor and you hate America would you accept it and consider yourself a sellout?

ADD
12-07-2006, 02:58 PM
oh come on....Ohio doesnt breed redneck shit bigmouth bands......believe it or not, our rural/suburban scene is getting pretty big......Once Hawthorne Heights left, THINKTANK TOOK OVER :shred:
The only cool things from Ohio are Mouth Of The Architect, Kenoma, and Brad :cool:

es156
12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
The only cool things from Ohio are Mouth Of The Architect, Kenoma, and Brad :cool:

Don't forget the EvilCheese (especially on his birthday).

es156
12-07-2006, 03:25 PM

I think that the incident you are referring to was when Jethro beat out Metallica for the first heavy metal grammy. I think the song nominated was "One" so it had to be after Justice was released. Maybe 1989?

ADD
12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Don't forget the EvilCheese (especially on his birthday).
Ahh yes:cool:

DethMaiden
12-07-2006, 03:57 PM

:party:

JRA
12-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I think that the incident you are referring to was when Jethro beat out Metallica for the first heavy metal grammy. I think the song nominated was "One" so it had to be after Justice was released. Maybe 1989?

Yea. That is how it happened. Now that I think about it, where the hell did you pull Guns N' Roses from brad?

anthraxmosher
12-07-2006, 04:24 PM
I really hope Slayer wins. Thatd be awesome.

DethMaiden
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Yea. That is how it happened. Now that I think about it, where the hell did you pull Guns N' Roses from brad?

Oh yeah, it was the VH1's Least Metal Moments, and they said it was really unmetal that nothing from Appetite for Destruction was nominated but Jethro Tull won.

Div
12-07-2006, 05:15 PM
IDIOT.

:boohoo: I'm just not gonna try.....put it this way; if someone hands you a Medal of Honor and you hate America would you accept it and consider yourself a sellout?

If Mastadon wins a grammy I guess it just helps prove that grammys dont mean shit anymore :party:

ADD
12-07-2006, 07:39 PM
If Mastadon wins a grammy I guess it just helps prove that grammys dont mean shit anymore :party:
:lol: They've never meant shit.

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2006, 07:45 PM

The only thing from San Fran are 49ers and queers. I dont see your NFL contract, so what are ya, boy?

Angelripper
12-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Now now you bunch of benders, don't get your knickers in a knot.

Congratulations to Mastodon. I personally think that Underoath should be nominated, as I don't think there's a musical section for them besides Rock.

sneakbobcat
12-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Who cares if a band sells out. It's only a bad thing if it makes their music worse. If their music rocks then i don't see a problem with them selling out. There are a few problem however like idiots that go to see them just cause they're big (hypocritical of me i guess)

ChildrenofSodom
12-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Lets hope that Mastodon dont see this as a chance to cater to the masses, and put out an uber-bad album for commercial appeal.

ADD
12-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Lets hope that Mastodon dont see this as a chance to cater to the masses, and put out an uber-bad album for commercial appeal.
Mastodon aren't that type of band. Just look at the guys. Not exactly the sellout type :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
12-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Mastodon aren't that type of band. Just look at the guys. Not exactly the sellout type :lol:

and everyone thought Metallica were bad asses; the Gods of metal....

JRA
12-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Who cares if a band sells out. It's only a bad thing if it makes their music worse. If their music rocks then i don't see a problem with them selling out. There are a few problem however like idiots that go to see them just cause they're big (hypocritical of me i guess)

:fist:

blackheart
12-09-2006, 07:30 PM

Completely agree with that statement. I have stated before that sneakbobcat is a smart dude :cool:
As long as the band's artistic integrity is intact, what's wrong with greater recognition and some money? Grammy's (a wankfest just like Oscar's) for real metal bands mean that metal is alive and well respected and draw in a greater audience. This, in turn, means that band are able to book actual venues (and not just local pizza joints) and we are able to see them.

OK, that also means that some assholes, who just discovered the band and never supported them before, show up for the same gig, act all stupid and annoy the shit out of you. I say - make fun of them and enjoy the fact that their money allowed your favorite band to book the venue. We do all realize that bands have to pay to play at venues? Band members on earth-dog have mentioned that a lot of venues are very expensive - Slim's in SF charges $10,000 for a band to play on a weekend, Filmore is significantly more.

ADD
12-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Slim's in SF charges $10,000 for a band to play on a weekend, Filmore is significantly more.

Wow, that's shocking to me.

Div
12-09-2006, 08:30 PM
bands becoming too popular is a bad thing. would u like to see mastadon keychains, mousepads, pepsi commercials, and not to mention having every asshole + their mom talking about how cool the band is... I believe it would lose whatever special meaning you hold for it and just fade into the rest of the commercialized over populated bands whos fanbase consists of plastic frontrunners.

EDIT: and this goes for metal in general. how many fags already ruin the horns? would you like to see the rest of the genre lose all meaning and uniqueness as well?

keep metal as rude, dirty, loud, and generally unappealing to the masses as possible or else it wont be a subculture any more.

ADD
12-09-2006, 08:40 PM
bands becoming too popular is a bad thing. would u like to see mastadon keychains, mousepads, pepsi commercials, and not to mention having every asshole + their mom talking about how cool the band is... I believe it would lose whatever special meaning you hold for it and just fade into the rest of the commercialized over populated bands whos fanbase consists of plastic frontrunners.

EDIT: and this goes for metal in general. how many fags already ruin the horns? would you like to see the rest of the genre lose all meaning and uniqueness as well?

keep metal as rude, dirty, loud, and generally unappealing to the masses as possible or else it wont be a subculture any more.

This is a some good points. It's tough to balance.

JRA
12-10-2006, 06:44 AM

If you are gonna stop listening to music just because someone you don't like listens to them, then you might as well destroy your entire music collection right now. A band just might discovered by someone out of pure curiousity, as opposed to them getting "big." I see thousands of malltwats wearing Iron Maiden shirts at malls, but it'll take a fuckload more than that to get me to stop listening to them. As for the horns, I was never crazy about them anyway. If you honestly think that a hand gesture is required in order for you to like metal, the whole thing just might have flown over your heard. That being said, if you want something "rock" to do while taking pictures with your friends, you could always do what this stupid kid did...

http://www.gigantour.com/megadethphoto/092906BOSTON/lo_res/lo_IMG_6879.jpg

JRA
12-10-2006, 07:03 AM
...and another thing, you guys are all wondering "What if Mastodon gets a bunch of douche bag fans?" Think about how Addi must feel as a fan of Tool, a band which its own lead singer has declared 70% of its fans being a bunch of ignorant pricks. I say be happy and grateful that your own band doesn't give you douchechills.

ADD
12-10-2006, 09:41 AM
...and another thing, you guys are all wondering "What if Mastodon gets a bunch of douche bag fans?" Think about how Addi must feel as a fan of Tool, a band which its own lead singer has declared 70% of its fans being a bunch of ignorant pricks. I say be happy and grateful that your own band doesn't give you douchechills.

JRA
12-10-2006, 11:24 AM
and yet another thing...

I noticed Slayer was nominated for a Grammy too. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that 90% of their fans are wastes of oxygen. So if Slayer wins a Grammy, does that mean all these losers will commit suicide and Slayer's new fanbase will be a bunch of tree hugging hippies?

Div
12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
If you are gonna stop listening to music just because someone you don't like listens to them, then you might as well destroy your entire music collection right now. A band just might discovered by someone out of pure curiousity, as opposed to them getting "big." I see thousands of malltwats wearing Iron Maiden shirts at malls, but it'll take a fuckload more than that to get me to stop listening to them. As for the horns, I was never crazy about them anyway. If you honestly think that a hand gesture is required in order for you to like metal, the whole thing just might have flown over your heard. That being said, if you want something "rock" to do while taking pictures with your friends, you could always do what this stupid kid did...

You're missing the point. There's a difference between a band getting popular with some random idiots looking for a way to act cool, and a band getting to the point of "MTV popular" where EVERYONE is a fan just because they think its' the latest greatest thing. I don't even like Mastadon, but I'm sure those who do would hate it if everyone started talking like they were fans just because they saw them on the grammys and put a Mastadon sticker on their notebook right next to Korn, Eminem, and U2.

....U2 :hecho:

DethMaiden
12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
and yet another thing...

I noticed Slayer was nominated for a Grammy too. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that 90% of their fans are wastes of oxygen. So if Slayer wins a Grammy, does that mean all these losers will commit suicide and Slayer's new fanbase will be a bunch of tree hugging hippies?

But seriously, we're all talking circles around the fact that the Grammys mean shit, as do any awards. It comes down to what you think sounds good, the hell with the rest of the world. Back to Maynard's declaration that a good portion of Tool fans are douchebags, it doesn't make Tool less awesome. Metal in general is dominated by fuckwads, are we going to denounce it? Hell no. Point is, open your ears to the music, and close them to the critics.

JRA
12-10-2006, 12:05 PM
You're missing the point. There's a difference between a band getting popular with some random idiots looking for a way to act cool, and a band getting to the point of "MTV popular" where EVERYONE is a fan just because they think its' the latest greatest thing. I don't even like Mastadon, but I'm sure those who do would hate it if everyone started talking like they were fans just because they saw them on the grammys and put a Mastadon sticker on their notebook right next to Korn, Eminem, and U2.

No, I'm not missing the point. Yes there is a difference, and yes it is irritating when people act like they are fans of an underground band just because they saw them on TV or whatever, but fads come and go. The people who were listening to a particular band just because it was the thing to do will eventally let it go, leaving the band with just themselves and their original fanbase, and maybe a few extras, cos God forbid there aren't at least one or two people from that mentality who continue to like the music. Which brings me back to my original point, if you're afraid that the types of people that you don't like are gonna start enjoying the music that you enjoy, then you probably should just stop listening to music altogether. After all, every band has their 15 minutes of fame.

DethMaiden
12-10-2006, 12:06 PM

U2 > KoRn + Eminem + all other popular music right now.:hmm:

JRA
12-10-2006, 12:09 PM
U2 > KoRn + Eminem + all other popular music right now.:hmm:

I will say that I'd much rather listen to old U2 than Korn. Although old Eminem can be entertaining from time to time.

DethMaiden
12-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I will say that I'd much rather listen to old U2 than Korn. Although old Eminem can be entertaining from time to time.

I even like new U2. "Vertigo" is a brilliant pop song.

JRA
12-10-2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

:D

DethMaiden
12-10-2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

:D

I remember this...funny stuff despite my disagreement :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2006, 12:40 PM
U2 is disgusting. I'd rather listen to eminem and korn. :barf:

sneakbobcat
12-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Tool - most fans are douchebags, i read some posts in the tool forum, and most of them are people trying to be intellectual, but instead they seem like complete retards.
Examples include:

Some dude trying to say if you count up all the letters in each word of right in two and put the numbers it almost makes a palindrome. But if you cut the numbers in two it is equal. This was what tool meant to do - i mean what the fuck.

And some other guy saying Linkin Park are similar to Tool, and he can relate to both their lyrics. Just get a fucking life.

Secondly.

Vertigo is a good song.

Thirdly.

Horns have been used at Britney Spears concert. That's when you know things have gone too far.

blackheart
12-10-2006, 12:46 PM
bands becoming too popular is a bad thing. would u like to see mastadon keychains, mousepads, pepsi commercials, and not to mention having every asshole + their mom talking about how cool the band is...

Band members have a right to eat too...Plus plenty of people you would consider assholes already already like the same bands you do. And there are plenty of people complaining about "their bands'" shows been attended by groups they don't like. Here are a few examples from earthdog about Pound SF:

Terrible staff, overpriced drinks, terrible drive, horrible area of town that most cabs won't drive to (and if they do, expect to pay $40 round trip), attracts (almost) nothing but meatheads. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Your comments are about playing gigs and your ego, etc. -- which is fine by me -- but are your thoughts the same about shows you attend? Do you really enjoy socializing with teens?

So there I am stoned as hell in a crowd of motionless heady 'smart' metalheads and the one 'meathead' starts headbanging crazily to some part of a song, then expands his actions to a tiny mosh pit....but he is the only one moshing. Everyone around him is annoyed at first, then disturbed, then afraid....very afraid. Thankfully, a few of the Pound staff grab the hurtful headbanger and muscle him out of the club. No one besides the headbanger are hurt. For such a good job done by the bouncers, the crowd surrounding me actually applauded the action of kicking this guy out.

Div
12-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Who is he to go to a concert and get pissed at people for headbanging, :lol: what a crybaby bitch.

EDIT: and its people like that who ruin it for everyone else. when i was at the maiden show in october i couldnt believe it when people were telling other people to sit down and kept bitching about how much the new album sucks. Its guys like that who noone wants to see at a concert. They go to a show and feel out of place because they know they're posers so they start ragging on all the other people. fuck them. the problem is these types of people only like popular bands so they seem cool, and even if neilpeartjr is right and they just fade out after awhile, they still manage to piss everyone off.

blackheart
12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Who is he to go to a concert and get pissed at people for headbanging, :lol: what a crybaby bitch.

The poster was sarcastic. He was lamenting the fact that the shows are been attended by the new breed of "smart metalheads" who are afraid of a little moshing and headbanging, and will complain to security if you dare to participate in such activities at the metal show. How dare you headbang at a metal show? :confused:

Div
12-10-2006, 01:10 PM
The poster was sarcastic. He was lamenting the fact that the shows are been attended by the new breed of "smart metalheads" who are afraid of a little moshing and headbanging, and will complain to security if you dare to participate in such activities at the metal show. How dare you headbang at a metal show? :confused:

ah, ok i get it now :cool:

DethMaiden
12-10-2006, 02:14 PM
I am a smart metalhead and while I don't mind if people exercise their right to mosh I don't want it to be distracting to the performance, nor do I want to take part in it.

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I am Bono. I love Africa. I will give all my money to Africa......NOT!

ADD
12-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Moshing and headbanging are fun, and I enjoy doing both at shows. Fine if you don't, everyone has the right to enjoy their own way.

sneakbobcat
12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Bono steps up to the microphone to say a few words to the audience in Dublin, Ireland. He proceeds: "every time i clap a child in africa dies."
So then a member of the audience near front shouts back "stop fucking clapping then"

Div
12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Bono steps up to the microphone to say a few words to the audience in Dublin, Ireland. He proceeds: "every time i clap a child in africa dies."
So then a member of the audience near front shouts back "stop fucking clapping then"

guys like him need to realize people go to shows to enjoy music, not here the bands opinions

ChildrenofSodom
12-11-2006, 02:07 PM

guys like him need to realize people go to shows to enjoy music, not here the bands opinions

tell that to Barbara Streisand :tp:

ChildrenofSodom
12-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I am a smart metalhead and while I don't mind if people exercise their right to mosh I don't want it to be distracting to the performance, nor do I want to take part in it.

moshing isnt a simple of barbarism. You can be intelligent and still enjoy jumping, pushing, etc to a rockin song.

The only thing I dont like about moshing is that retards like Lamb of God fans disobey the laws of moshing, that is dont hurt anyone, stop when the song is over, help someone that falls, stay off the girls, and be respectful. Move to the music, but dont start fights for the sake of fighting.

DethMaiden
12-11-2006, 03:04 PM
I just don't like moshing. I didn't say people couldn't do it, I just don't want to be involved.

ADD
12-11-2006, 07:44 PM
the laws of moshing

:lol: :lol: :lol:

powerslave_85
12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Funny, but he has a point. There are certain rules of etiquette that moshers should follow in order to keep it fun and not scary.

Div
12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/images/smilies/nuke24.gif

ADD
12-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Funny, but he has a point. There are certain rules of etiquette that moshers should follow in order to keep it fun and not scary.
Yes, but calling them 'laws' is quite a humorous term to describe :D

powerslave_85
12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Personally, I think mosh pits are a lot less fun than a huge mass of people screaming their heads off to every single word and pumping their fists. That's why I can't wait for the AFI show in February.

Div
12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
i dont think these "laws" apply to moshing specifically, its just general ways not to act like a dick (especially in a crowd of crazed people) or else u may find someones fist crunching ure nose

ADD
12-11-2006, 08:10 PM
i dont think these "laws" apply to moshing specifically, its just general ways not to act like a dick (especially in a crowd of crazed people) or else u may find someones fist crunching ure nose
My friend was sneezing blood after DLF on Friday :party:

ChildrenofSodom
12-12-2006, 02:47 AM
My friend was sneezing blood after DLF on Friday :party:

wow...

I think we can all agree that its 'fun' when the floor seems to be totally packed, the crowd is surging forward to the music, and everyone is enjoying themselves. But it is no fun when one minute you are all standing still, and the next minute a big gay-ass circle opens up in the middle, and screamos are karate kicking everyone.

ADD
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
wow...

I think we can all agree that its 'fun' when the floor seems to be totally packed, the crowd is surging forward to the music, and everyone is enjoying themselves. But it is no fun when one minute you are all standing still, and the next minute a big gay-ass circle opens up in the middle, and screamos are karate kicking everyone.

But its fun to kill the screamo karate kicking spazoid seizure fags :party:

ChildrenofSodom
12-12-2006, 01:18 PM
But its fun to kill the screamo karate kicking spazoid seizure fags :party:

yeah....my uncle, when he takes me to shows, gets hammered and moshes, even picking the biggest jerk and either knocking them down or picking them up...

If I wasnt a wimp I might mosh during an openning band or something....but I might lose my rail spot

DethMaiden
12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm much more concerned with being close, paying attention to the music, and interacting with the band than beating up emos.

ChildrenofSodom
12-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm much more concerned with being close, paying attention to the music, and interacting with the band than beating up emos.

You can beat up Caleb, if you'd like

ADD
12-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Obviously it depends on the show. Like if I'm at a Converge/Mastodon show, I'd be in the pit for Converge, but then do the same as you during Mastodon. Entirely depends on the band for me.

ChildrenofSodom
12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Obviously it depends on the show. Like if I'm at a Converge/Mastodon show, I'd be in the pit for Converge, but then do the same as you during Mastodon. Entirely depends on the band for me.

exactly....I would not miss any deep messages during Converge...:eyes:

powerslave_85
12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
exactly....I would not miss any deep messages during Converge...:eyes:
Yeah, actually you would.

ChildrenofSodom
12-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, actually you would.

sorry...cant make out the words...so.....I saw a video of theirs and it was pretty good, but i saw them live and it didnt do anything for me...so...