PDA

View Full Version : ROB HALFORD On The End Of The CD, The New Album, & Never Wanted To Leave JUDAS PRIEST

hot_turkey_ed
12-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Source: Metal Temple (http://www.metal-temple.com/interview.asp?id=328) via Blabbermouth (http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=63404)

Metal Temple has a GREAT interview with Rob Halford. This is a must-read. READ IT NOW, DAMN IT. :mad:

On the cd...This is gonna happen to everybody before they know it - I tell you. Itís not going to come along creeping and slowly, itís just gonna be within the next few years all the record companies are going to go "weíre no longer doing retail manufacturing of CDs". Youíre going to have to get everything that you want directly from Sony Music Online, Rob Halford Music Online, IRON MAIDEN Online... Maiden just released their record on Apple ITunes but admittedly they provided a CD format as well...

On leaving Priest.. The only reason why I stepped away from PRIEST, as you know the story goes... It was never my intention. I never wanted to leave PRIEST. It was the ugly contractual almost litigation condition that I was involved with, on purely words on paper. That forced me to step aside from the Sony contract and thatís when the shit hit the fan, so to speak.

Rob also talks a lot about the new album too. Kudo's to Metal Temple for this one. :party:

ADD
12-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Fuck CD's anyways. LP's, however, will never die.

:metal:

JRA
12-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Source: Metal Temple (http://www.metal-temple.com/interview.asp?id=328) via Blabbermouth (http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=63404)

On leaving Priest.. The only reason why I stepped away from PRIEST, as you know the story goes... It was never my intention. I never wanted to leave PRIEST. It was the ugly contractual almost litigation condition that I was involved with, on purely words on paper. That forced me to step aside from the Sony contract and thatís when the shit hit the fan, so to speak.

What? I thought it was because Glenn and KK wouldn't allow Rob to do a solo career?

hot_turkey_ed
12-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Fuck CD's anyways. LP's, however, will never die.

:metal:

LPs are already dead. :rat:

MetalDrummer888
12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
halford always sounds like a cool dude in interviews :cool:

i can't wait for the Nostrodamus . . . i think a concept album will give it the unity that AoR lacked.

EvilCheeseWedge
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
That was a good interview. He's a sharp dude. I wouldn't be surprised if G.T. popped up somewhere on a Halford album or Haflord on a G.T. album. Slater (the producer of M:C II) has been saying for sometime now that Tate is working on a solo album and multiple vocalists are involved.

He's definitely on the money in regards to CDs and the Internet. I'm really looking forward to some of his Metal God releases. Personally, I think his solo stuff is a lot more interesting than Priest. I'm also glad to hear that's not doing "Painkiller" style screams on his new stuff. "Forgotten Generation" was a step in the right direction, if you ask me... I'm pretty motivated about his stuff new stuff now :horns:

I fear for the new Priest album though...

DethMaiden
12-07-2006, 03:34 AM
If Priest don't put their new album on CD I won't be hearing it. :hmm:

JRA
12-07-2006, 06:25 AM
If Priest don't put their new album on CD I won't be hearing it. :hmm:

Indeed. The CD has a couple more years to milk out of it.

Div
12-07-2006, 10:06 AM
CDs are still the best form of media out there, I don't think they'll be replaced by mp3's any time soon.

es156
12-07-2006, 10:42 AM
CDs are still the best form of media out there, I don't think they'll be replaced by mp3's any time soon.

I agree.

JRA
12-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Shit, I mean unless you've got an mp3 player built into your car, you gotta have some type of music to play while your driving.

Div
12-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Shit, I mean unless you've got an mp3 player built into your car, you gotta have some type of music to play while your driving.

Well if anything they'll stick around for collector purposes. It's hard to display your mp3 collection on your wall :lol:

JRA
12-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Well if anything they'll stick around for collector purposes. It's hard to display your mp3 collection on your wall :lol:

Maybe. Someday, when/if I'm super rich, I'll just buy everything I have on vinyl.

DreamEvil001
12-07-2006, 06:43 PM

Tape adaptor, multiple devices that allow transmission over radio waves... many items that allow mp3 to be played in the car. Plus VW just came out with a car that has a jack so you can plug your mp3 player straight into the car. CD's are dead. Tower Records is out of business. 3 more years tops.

DethMaiden
12-08-2006, 03:39 AM
Don't fucking perpetuate it then! Don't accept defeat and say "CDs are on their way out, better stop buying them!" If the only thing released in the future is entirely digital, I really don't know what I will do.

Fe Maiden
12-08-2006, 08:29 AM
CDs are still the best form of media out there, I don't think they'll be replaced by mp3's any time soon.I agree as well!

hot_turkey_ed
12-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Tape adaptor, multiple devices that allow transmission over radio waves... many items that allow mp3 to be played in the car. Plus VW just came out with a car that has a jack so you can plug your mp3 player straight into the car. CD's are dead. Tower Records is out of business. 3 more years tops.

Tower went out of business because it generally sucked and was way overpriced, at least in my area. Locally, they were competing with an indie literally a block away that undercut them by $3 - $5 an album on regular prices.

hot_turkey_ed
12-08-2006, 10:12 AM
CDs won't last forever or that much longer as they do now.

You guys need to think one more step ahead. Instead of adapter and converters, there's nothing really stopping auto makers or other manufacturers from creating devices that accept memory cards (with your music on it) the same way some accept ipods directly right now. Can you imagine a car stereo that doesn't accept cd but only a memory card?

Look at how much music a ipod shuffle can store. The technology exists. What doesn't exist is sufficient digital rights management... at least in the eyes of the industry I imagine. I imagine they would to program the DRM into the device itself.

JRA
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Can you imagine a car stereo that doesn't accept cd but only a memory card?

:hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho: :hecho:

Spiral_Slave
12-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Damn, I love reading interviews like this. Rob's a great guy and it makes you appreciate him even more seeing how nice and down to earth he is. It's great how he actually cares about the interview and makes it interesting rather than....

Q: It'd be great if you came to Greece.

A: Yeah.

es156
12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
CDs won't last forever or that much longer as they do now.

You guys need to think one more step ahead. Instead of adapter and converters, there's nothing really stopping auto makers or other manufacturers from creating devices that accept memory cards (with your music on it) the same way some accept ipods directly right now. Can you imagine a car stereo that doesn't accept cd but only a memory card?

Look at how much music a ipod shuffle can store. The technology exists. What doesn't exist is sufficient digital rights management... at least in the eyes of the industry I imagine. I imagine they would to program the DRM into the device itself.

One of my employees bought an in-dash MP3 drive for his vehicle that has a USB port. He can just plug his flash drive in and listen to any MP3's that are on it.

EvilCheeseWedge
12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
One of my employees bought an in-dash MP3 drive for his vehicle that has a USB port. He can just plug his flash drive in and listen to any MP3's that are on it.
That's very cool, I've been looking at stuff like that.

DethMaiden
12-08-2006, 12:19 PM
My car only has a tape deck. :fist:

EvilCheeseWedge
12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
My car only has a tape deck. :fist:

Buick Century :fist:

DethMaiden
12-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Buick Century :fist:

Hell yes :rocker:

Div
12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
So what, bands will release their new albums on memory sticks? I doubt that would be cost effective. Plus not everyone who listens to music (especially metal) has all this money to blow on fancy electronics.

ADD
12-08-2006, 03:04 PM
LP's will never die :)

DreamEvil001
12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
LP's will never die :)

yes, you already said that, and yes, you're still wrong. as cool as they are...

ADD
12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
yes, you already said that, and yes, you're still wrong. as cool as they are...
You are highly misinformed, but that's alright. Check back in 20 years so I can prove my point :)

The fact is, people still buy LP's. Its a cult underground sort of thing, which I definitely take part in. I've bought 5 new releases this year on LP, 4 of those from non-major label bands that you've never heard of. That says something in itself.

EvilCheeseWedge
12-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Hell yes :rocker:

I just had to have a gasket replacement on mine. It was leaking coolant like a bitch. And it just rolled over to 49,000 miles :mad: - my boss is pretty good with cars though, and he did the repair plus a few other things for < $500... the shop quoted me $1,100 - $1,400. I've only had it back for a few days, but it's running like a champ so far :ecw: