PDA

View Full Version : KILLSWITCH ENGAGE: Metalcore Is On The Way Out

hot_turkey_ed
11-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Source: Blabbermouth (http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=62764)

On his opinion that metalcore music, which has enjoyed widespread success over the past few years, is on the way out:

"The dream's over dude! .... It'll still be around, because kids love heavy music; they love to be aggressive. But it won't get as much mainstream attention as it's been getting. So mark my words there. It's already happening."

Progressive is the next wave. Think about how many bands -- old & new -- are beginning to tout the prog label....

JRA
11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Which is coming from a metalcore band. So it looks like its all good.:D

ChildrenofSodom
11-25-2006, 02:44 PM
it pisses me off that a type of music is "going out" if it isnt getting mainstream media attention.....fuck the mainstream media...

SomewhereInTime72
11-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Dragonforce + dragonforce imitation bands will be the next big thing. :hmm:

EvilCheeseWedge
11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Dragonforce + dragonforce imitation bands will be the next big thing. :hmm:
Fuck no they won't.

/will stop at nothing to prevent that from happening

ADD
11-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Pavo is right. Indie-prog is in.

Div
11-25-2006, 09:33 PM
it pisses me off that a type of music is "going out" if it isnt getting mainstream media attention.....fuck the mainstream media...

Yea but it's metalcore, so noone gives a shit about that :lol:

MetalDrummer888
11-26-2006, 11:19 AM
wow . . . he basically said that the new album is just the same shit over again . . . i mean, if thats what you think of your own album, then it must really suck :hecho:

sneakbobcat
11-26-2006, 11:27 AM
prog is my favourite. I like a lot of alternative, i can give examples; Nine Inch Nails, Tool, then Incubus are alternative not prog, but some songs are prog. In Flames, oh wait, no they're just "melodic death metal".

SomewhereInTime72
11-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Fuck no they won't.

/will stop at nothing to prevent that from happening

I'm with you on this, but I think it may end up happening anyway. :snivel:

Div
11-26-2006, 11:50 AM
someone needs to revive the "classic" style

DethMaiden
11-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Whoa, progressive is going to become a trend again? Granted, a few cool bands will probably come out of it, but I don't want my special thing to be cheapened. :bouville:

ChildrenofSodom
11-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Emo will be dead by the end of next year :horns:

Some metalcore bands are pretty good....but it seems they dont get any attention even in the metalcore community...

oh well....

THESE GUYS WILL NEVER DIE!!

http://www.silencesoloud.com/files/SF376x180.jpg

DethMaiden
11-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Some metalcore bands are pretty good....but it seems they dont get any attention even in the metalcore community...

We must find this community and carpet bomb it.

ChildrenofSodom
11-26-2006, 04:38 PM
We must find this community and carpet bomb it.

like Ho Chi Minh

sneakbobcat
11-27-2006, 09:07 AM
at least it's not emo.

Fe Maiden
11-27-2006, 01:19 PM
OK maybe I am stupid or something but, what the hell is metalcore?:confused: :eyes:

Fe Maiden
11-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Pavo is right. prog is in.This could be a good thing IMO.

ADD
11-27-2006, 01:58 PM
This could be a good thing IMO.
Nope. Trends kill all good things. It needs to stay relatively underground. Plus, we're not talking about the same kinda prog.

DethMaiden
11-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Nope. Trends kill all good things. It needs to stay relatively underground. Plus, we're not talking about the same kinda prog.

Exactly. But the Neurosis imitators are starting to conquer the scene too, if you mean that kind of prog. I don't really dislike any of them, and they all have certain things unique to them, but still...eh.

ADD
11-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Exactly. But the Neurosis imitators are starting to conquer the scene too, if you mean that kind of prog. I don't really dislike any of them, and they all have certain things unique to them, but still...eh.
I love the "Neur-Isis" bands to death, but if that falls into the mainstream it will get fucked. The amount we have now in the underground is enough to keep me content. Not just the quantity though, but the quality. This scene is relatively young, but the strength of its bands is really peaking IMO.

DethMaiden
11-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I love the "Neur-Isis" bands to death, but if that falls into the mainstream it will get fucked. The amount we have now in the underground is enough to keep me content. Not just the quantity though, but the quality. This scene is relatively young, but the strength of its bands is really peaking IMO.

I think Neurosis, Isis, Mouth of the Architect, Battle of Mice, Unwed Sailor, Kenoma (yeah ;)), Red Sparowes, Across Tundras (but they're more "Americana sludge"), and Made Out of Babies should be the extent of it. But I'm sure I don't know several.

ADD
11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
I think Neurosis, Isis, Mouth of the Architect, Battle of Mice, Unwed Sailor, Kenoma (yeah ;)), Red Sparowes, Across Tundras (but they're more "Americana sludge"), and Made Out of Babies should be the extent of it. But I'm sure I don't know several.
There's tons and tons more (Minsk, Mogwai, Mono, Rosetta, Cult Of Luna, Explosions In The Sky, etc etc). Plus I don't wanna say I'd like to put a "lid" on a genre, if its good its good I say. I've never listened to Battle Of Mice or Made Out Of Babies, worth it?

DethMaiden
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM
There's tons and tons more (Minsk, Mogwai, Mono, Rosetta, Cult Of Luna, Explosions In The Sky, etc etc). Plus I don't wanna say I'd like to put a "lid" on a genre, if its good its good I say. I've never listened to Battle Of Mice or Made Out Of Babies, worth it?

Yeah, I've heard all of those except Minsk, how are they?

Battle of Mice and Made Out of Babies share a singer, Julie Christmas. BoM are more proggy sludge and MOoB are kinda post-hardcore-ish. Both are definitely worth looking into.

ADD
11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I've heard all of those except Minsk, how are they?

Battle of Mice and Made Out of Babies share a singer, Julie Christmas. BoM are more proggy sludge and MOoB are kinda post-hardcore-ish. Both are definitely worth looking into.
Minsk is pretty tight, new album next year to look for :allan:

Alright. There's just so much out there to explore in this genre that its hard to find 'em all.

DethMaiden
11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Minsk is pretty tight, new album next year to look for :allan:

Alright. There's just so much out there to explore in this genre that its hard to find 'em all.

I have yet to say "Damn, that sucks" to any band who are of that style.

ADD
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I have yet to say "Damn, that sucks" to any band who are of that style.
True.

ChildrenofSodom
11-27-2006, 02:36 PM

i cant speak for all of those, but MOTA and Kenoma sound pretty different....i dont think I would put them under the broad banner of "progressive"

DethMaiden
11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
i cant speak for all of those, but MOTA and Kenoma sound pretty different....i dont think I would put them under the broad banner of "progressive"

They aren't progressive, they're sludge. Which I don't really believe in, so I call it prog :D

SomewhereInTime72
11-27-2006, 04:33 PM

I don't think any of those bands (that I've heard, of course) are really "progressive." Just kinda delving into post-rock...

ADD
11-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I don't think any of those bands (that I've heard, of course) are really "progressive." Just kinda delving into post-rock...
Except that they incorporate other elements such as sludge, traditional prog, and post-hardcore, therefore I think they're pretty "forward-thinking" in how they make music; hence progressive.

DethMaiden
11-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Except that they incorporate other elements such as sludge, traditional prog, and post-hardcore, therefore I think they're pretty "forward-thinking" in how they make music; hence progressive.

Yeah. Progressive is so hard to define.

ChildrenofSodom
11-27-2006, 05:21 PM

i thought progressive meant they used odd time signatures.....:confused:

DethMaiden
11-27-2006, 05:22 PM
i thought progressive meant they used odd time signatures.....:confused:

In the rawest sense of the word it just means that they don't conform to traditional music standards, but then you get shitty bands like Miss May I who could pass themselves off as progressive. You should go to progarchives.com, I think they have a fairly good definition of it. It's kind of just "you know it when you hear it".

ChildrenofSodom
11-27-2006, 05:40 PM
if the definition is that they dont follow normal musical standards, then nearly every band could be progressive, because each brings their own little something to the table.

powerslave_85
11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
If you think prog-metal is ever going to be mainstream, you're fucking insane.

Metalcore will never be gone as long as Converge are still laying waste to everyone else in that genre.

ADD
11-27-2006, 08:47 PM
If you think prog-metal is ever going to be mainstream, you're fucking insane.

Metalcore will never be gone as long as Converge are still laying waste to everyone else in that genre.
But they play a real mix of "hardcore" and "metal". Comtemporary "metalcore" bands (Trivium, Unearth, Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, etc.) sound way different than Converge,

DethMaiden
11-28-2006, 05:07 AM
But they play a real mix of "hardcore" and "metal". Comtemporary "metalcore" bands (Trivium, Unearth, Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, etc.) sound way different than Converge,

Lamb of God aren't even metalcore, they're just the second coming of Pantera. The rest of those bands are closer to metal-emo-core, just because of the clean vox.

DethMaiden
11-28-2006, 05:08 AM
if the definition is that they dont follow normal musical standards, then nearly every band could be progressive, because each brings their own little something to the table.

Yeah, which is why that isn't the full definition. A lot of things can make you progressive, but I think something is just "progressive-sounding" and you figure it out.

JRA
11-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Lamb of God aren't even metalcore, they're just a second rate Pantera ripoff.

fixed.

DethMaiden
11-28-2006, 05:41 AM
fixed.

Yeah, that's what I meant. More like third rate. God I hate LoG.

sneakbobcat
11-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Lamb of God aren't even metalcore, they're just the second coming of Pantera. The rest of those bands are closer to metal-emo-core, just because of the clean vox.

ok yeah, but Lamb Of God will never be as good as Pantera... as post above says.

ChildrenofSodom
11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
meh...some metalcore bands like Shadows Fall, Unearth, The Autumn Offering, As I Lay Dying are pretty good....but bands like KsE and LoG are just bad

Nemesis
11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Heaven Shall Burn when it comes to metalcore. Period.

ADD
11-28-2006, 11:33 AM
The ABSOLUTE only one I listen to on occasion is Shadows Fall. That's it.

hot_turkey_ed
11-28-2006, 11:48 AM
The ABSOLUTE only one I listen to on occasion is Shadows Fall. That's it.

ADD listens to metalcore... ADD listens to metalcore... ADD listens to metalcore... :D

DethMaiden
11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
I only own one metalcore album, God Forbid's "IV: Constitution of Treason". It doesn't totally suck. He has a halfway decent growl and a not terribly emo singing voice.

Fe Maiden
11-28-2006, 12:20 PM
ADD listens to metalcore... ADD listens to metalcore... ADD listens to metalcore... :DWTF is metalcore:confused:

hot_turkey_ed
11-28-2006, 12:45 PM
WTF is metalcore:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore

ChildrenofSodom
11-28-2006, 12:50 PM
WTF is metalcore:confused:

I am metalcore

Fe Maiden
11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetalcoreAh, no wonder I did not know what it was. I don't listen to a single band mentioned there although I've heard of some.

ADD
11-28-2006, 05:21 PM
ADD listens to metalcore... ADD listens to metalcore... ADD listens to metalcore... :D
:boohoo:

:tongue:

Div
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I am metalcore

that explains alot