PDA

View Full Version : Adding Blabbermouth Headlines Via RSS Automatically...

hot_turkey_ed
11-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks to today's vbulletin uprade, we can now automatically import Blabbermouth via RSS into our news section. I've set the system to check Blabbermouth every 60 minutes. Note that we're only importing their headlines and RSS summaries, not the full stories. Each story will have a link back to the original article.

I'm not importing all of their headlines / summaries, just ones that are of interest to the board. Add your bands to this thread... I'll incorporate them as we see how well this works.

The current list (11/09/2006 8:15 PM PST):

Arch Enemy
Black Sabbath
Dimmu Borgir
Dio
Dream Theater
Edguy
Gammay Ray
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Motorhead
Opeth
Queensryche
Rush
Tool
Ozzfest
Gigantour

JRA
11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd like Megadeth and Anthrax too, please.

Does this importing system have some sort of manual filter to it (i.e. It's not gonna send us the "Sharon Osbourne takes a shit today" headlines is it?)

MetalDrummer888
11-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Heaven and Hell
Blind Guardian
Immortal
King Diamond
Nightwish

EvilCheeseWedge
11-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Alice Cooper! :D

This looks like it could be a cool feature. And as far as "Sharon takes a crap" type of stories NP Jr. - I wouldn't worry about it. If it's truly BS I'm sure one of us will just nuke it.

hot_turkey_ed
11-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I'd like Megadeth and Anthrax too, please.

Does this importing system have some sort of manual filter to it (i.e. It's not gonna send us the "Sharon Osbourne takes a shit today" headlines is it?)

It's a completely manual filter. It will includes headlines/stories that contain the words on my list. So if the headline / story contains "MEGADETH takes a shit today" appears on Blabbermouth, it will generate a post.

I wasn't planning on including Sharon Osbourne but I do want Ozzfest news.

We've got to see how well the filter really works.

hot_turkey_ed
11-09-2006, 07:45 PM
If it's truly BS I'm sure one of us will just nuke it.

:fist:

JRA
11-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I wasn't planning on including Sharon Osbourne but I do want Ozzfest news.

Well, just a general example, you know what I'm talking about.

I find it funny that that place is trying to "clean up its act" yet can't resist posting that kind of crap.

hot_turkey_ed
11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok... now it's

Alice Cooper
Anthrax
Arch Enemy
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Dimmu Borgir
Dio
Dream Theater
Edguy
Gammay Ray
Goatwhore
Hammerfall
Heaven And Hell
Helloween
Immortal
Iron Maiden
King Diamond
Megadeth
Metallica
Motorhead
Nightwish
Opeth
Queensryche
Rush
Tool
Ozzfest
Gigantour

es156
11-09-2006, 08:17 PM
How about:

Alice In Chains
Judas Priest
Metal Church
Overkill
Testament

hot_turkey_ed
11-09-2006, 08:20 PM
I have to experiment a bit, probably contact support.

The term Dio just triggered stories containing the word stuDIO. I'm trying 'Dio' now... IT geeks here will get it...

ADD
11-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Mastodon
Clutch
Moonsorrow
Heathen
Isis
Novembers Doom
Agalloch
Neurosis
Finntroll
Alabama Thunderpussy

I included these because each band has impending news due in the near future so I'd like to know about their happenings specifically:)

hot_turkey_ed
11-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Right now, the list is:

Agallach
'Alabama Thunderpussy'
Alice Cooper
'All That Remains'
Anthrax
Arch Enemy
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Clutch
Dimmu Borgir
'Dio'
'Dream Theater'
Edguy
Emperor
Finntroll
'Gamma Ray'
Goatwhore
Hammerfall
Heathen
Heaven And Hell
Helloween
Immortal
'Iron Maiden'
Isis
'King Diamond'
Mastadon
Megadeth
Metallica
Moonsorrow
Motorhead
'My Dying Bride'
Neurosis
Nightwish
'Novembers Doom'
Opeth
Queensryche
Rush
Tool
Trivium
Ozzfest
Gigantour

powerslave_85
11-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Slayer! They're supposed to be announcing tour dates soon.

ChildrenofSodom
11-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Kataklysm
Icarus Witch

hot_turkey_ed
11-11-2006, 12:15 AM
I am terminating this project after 24 hours. It showed promise but I'm not going to further waste my time right now;I'm fucking pissed. Why? Let me quote from one of the RSS threads I erased.

wow these blabbermouth updates things are the worst addition to this bb i have ever seen. I for one am getting really annoyed with them. :zzz:

MD, you're bitching barely 24 hours into this, a good chunk of which I spent updating the software running this site and trying to deliver something cool for all of you. The proper response is THANK YOU, constructive criticism,or no response at all. I invite you in the future to be part of the solution or shut the fuck up.

ChildrenofSodom
11-11-2006, 01:49 AM
I thought it was a good concept, but some of the stories werent interesting.

hot_turkey_ed
11-11-2006, 02:15 AM
I thought it was a good concept, but some of the stories werent interesting.

The initial concept was to pull in stories with a specific band name in the thread title. Unfortunately, vbulletin's filter parses by single word only. That means the term King Diamond would actually grab any word ending in -king. Similiarly, Dio would pull in any title with the word studio in it, a common enough occurance.

Word filters, even when they work, do not understand 'interesting', so that can't be helped. Furthermore, the posts are only summaries. I know summaries aren't as interesting as full stories but at least it's a head up. Unless I manually post stories, our news forum isn't very useful. It's take too much time to do news -- it's not what we're about -- and then there's the issue of copying content from other sites, the reason I am extremely anal about sourcing and then posting the hooks rather than full copy.

Personally, I'd rather delete a few threads here and there or put up with non-interesting threads (which I don't have to click on) and have a feed automated.

Keep in mind we're talking about Blabbermouth. It is the best thing going in metal news but it's not perfect. Neither will any feed sourced from it.

Div
11-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Relax man, just cause one person thought it sucked doesn't mean everyone does.

But if you change your mind about killing it, then throw Manowar and 'Iced Earth' on the list plz.

DreamEvil001
11-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Maybe you could try putting all the posts about news into one 'news' thread instead of creating a new thread for every story and clogging the forum. It wouldn't really leave room for comments but if someone really wanted to say something they could start their own thread. :)

MetalDrummer888
11-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I am terminating this project after 24 hours. It showed promise but I'm not going to further waste my time right now;I'm fucking pissed. Why? Let me quote from one of the RSS threads I erased.

MD, you're bitching barely 24 hours into this, a good chunk of which I spent updating the software running this site and trying to deliver something cool for all of you. The proper response is THANK YOU, constructive criticism,or no response at all. I invite you in the future to be part of the solution or shut the fuck up.

woa easy does it . . . sorry to piss you off so much . . . i bet that is hecho addi or allan made that post you wouldnt have gotten anywhere near as upset. . . i thought i had a position of familiarity on this board where i could speak my mind without worrying about people getting all upset, but i guess i was wrong :)

btw the tp smilie got updated :(

MetalDrummer888
11-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Maybe you could try putting all the posts about news into one 'news' thread instead of creating a new thread for every story and clogging the forum. It wouldn't really leave room for comments but if someone really wanted to say something they could start their own thread. :)

thats more like it. I didnt mean to sound so harsh, i just didnt like the fact that the BM posts were flooding the forum

hot_turkey_ed
11-11-2006, 11:19 AM
woa easy does it . . . sorry to piss you off so much . . . i bet that is hecho addi or allan made that post you wouldnt have gotten anywhere near as upset. . . i thought i had a position of familiarity on this board where i could speak my mind without worrying about people getting all upset, but i guess i was wrong :)

btw the tp smilie got updated :(

Speaking your mind and being a smart ass are two different things. "This isn't working" or "There are too many updates" or "The board's getting flooded" is different than "wow.. this is the worst addition I've seen... I'm getting really annoyed. :zzz:", especially in a small thread where I'm already publically acknowledging a work-in-progress and inviting participation. Hecho and Allan wouldn't make your post.... I would have a least gotten a crazy ass Sabbath picture (or che) out of Hecho. ADD? Maybe but I would have replied the same and just as pissed off, as I have done in a thread or two. The fact is you have a position of familiarity, otherwise I would have just deleted the post or dismissed it for n00bom. It takes a lot of time to do ANYTHING new and I'm not going to take unconstructive bullshit from someone in said position.

I'll fix the tp smiley. I hadn't noticed. I've also got to rehack my template to restore the normal bar. Also some minor image work for new buttons that aren't in my custom set..... that should probably be it for the effects of the upgrade.

hot_turkey_ed
11-11-2006, 11:24 AM

This is a fucking great idea. :party: vbulletin won't do it but I know how to do it for the most part via custom code/hack.

Thread title would be something like "Blabbermouth Update: TimeDate Stamp"... inside the post would the title / summaries... each of these updates would probably have just a handful of stories... have it update like four or five times a day....

How many of these threads would you all want to see on a given time? How often to update?

hot_turkey_ed
11-11-2006, 11:25 AM
thats more like it. I didnt mean to sound so harsh, i just didnt like the fact that the BM posts were flooding the forum

Ok... :cool:

MetalDrummer888
11-11-2006, 07:58 PM
This is a fucking great idea. :party: vbulletin won't do it but I know how to do it for the most part via custom code/hack.

Thread title would be something like "Blabbermouth Update: TimeDate Stamp"... inside the post would the title / summaries... each of these updates would probably have just a handful of stories... have it update like four or five times a day....

How many of these threads would you all want to see on a given time? How often to update?
what about one thread called 'blabbermouth news" or something like that, and the updates would be like replies to that one thread :confused:

SomewhereInTime72
11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
what about one thread called 'blabbermouth news" or something like that, and the updates would be like replies to that one thread :confused:
Maybe a weekly thread would be more convenient. I dunno.:radar: