PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION!!! The ultimate question!!!

jaysadler2
11-08-2006, 06:35 AM
O.k, Me and my group of metal friends keep arguing about where is the most "metal" part of the world for metal music????

There's 3 major regions that i can think of.......

England......(my vote).....where metal was truely established, with the birth of metal legends such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Judas Priest, thanks to many of the country's musical influences. The first real "metal" thing to happen on Earth. The roots of metal lie in the U.K!!!!

U.S.A.......(So close!!!).......O.K not the birth place of metal....but could be considered the perfector of metal music. With an infinite list of bands that include Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Pantera etc. With so many metal bands as a back catalogue it still seems to produce new metal bands such as Trivium, God Forbid, Slipknot, machine head that tend to influence the new generation....or could these be considered as a cheap imitation? But in so many ways, the U.S has expanded metal into sub-genres...but is this a good thing?

Europe......(Norway, Sweden, Germany etc.)......A good creator of a new wave of metal, with bands like, Arch Enemy, In Flame, Satyricon that take metal to the next level, going more hardcore and into religious depths in there music. Europe could be considered the birthplace for "real" metal, and not "media - hyped" music.

Please vote!

Div
11-08-2006, 06:49 AM
I guess it depends what you listen to, thrash = us, classic = uk, black/death/power = scandinavia

Spiral_Slave
11-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Europe for sure.

Helloween, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Sinner, Grave Digger, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Children Of Bodom, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Twilightning, Avantasia, Running Wild etc.

sneakbobcat
11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
UK :D where i am from, although not much good new stuff.

Also i beleive you missed out the best Scottish (UK) guitarist Angus Young and ACDC. They moved BACK over from Australia after beleiving they'd be more succesful in UK.

SirLardsAlot
11-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Europe including the UK.

sneakbobcat
11-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Since when were European bands better than British, please give me examples of bands that compare to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Motorhead. (and Dragonforce - just kidding)

DethMaiden
11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I voted other because it's random. There's a great band or two from every country, but there's ten more shitty ones.

HECHO EN MEXICO
11-08-2006, 04:18 PM
THE UK HAS....

TONY IOMMI (the father of metal)
BLACK SABBATH (THE first 6 albums = BIBLE OF HEAVY METAL)
JUDAS PRIEST (INVENTORS OF THRASH/SPEED METAL)
LED ZEPPELIN (not metal but had the greatest drummer ever!)
IRON MAIDEN (some of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded!!!)
DEEP PURPLE (not metal but did its part in heavy music)
MOTORHEAD (The rawest and heaviest power trio ever! and Lemmy is a God!)

THATS ALL YOU NEED,

ChildrenofSodom
11-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Scandinavia, all the way.

HECHO EN MEXICO
11-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Gibson Tony Iommi Signature SG http://www.everythingsg.com/images/identify/photos/iommiSG.jpg

HECHO EN MEXICO
11-08-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/1997/images/Iommi2.jpg

JRA
11-08-2006, 06:56 PM
THE UK HAS....

TONY IOMMI (the father of metal)
BLACK SABBATH (THE first 6 albums = BIBLE OF HEAVY METAL)
JUDAS PRIEST (INVENTORS OF THRASH/SPEED METAL)
LED ZEPPELIN (not metal but had the greatest drummer ever!)
IRON MAIDEN (some of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded!!!)
DEEP PURPLE (not metal but did its part in heavy music)
MOTORHEAD (The rawest and heaviest power trio ever! and Lemmy is a God!)

THATS ALL YOU NEED,

Fixed!:D

HECHO EN MEXICO
11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Fixed!:D:party:

AGREE 100%

:rocker:

JRA
11-08-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/1997/images/Iommi2.jpg

By the way, that is fucking sweet!

SomewhereInTime72
11-08-2006, 07:47 PM
UK for sure! :rocker:

HECHO EN MEXICO
11-08-2006, 07:50 PM
By the way, that is fucking sweet!THANK YOU,

Maiden33
11-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Germany: Edguy, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Helloween, At Vance, Primal Fear, Axel Rudi Pell, Masterplan, Pink Cream 69, Freedom Call, Mystic Prophecy
Sweden: Evergrey, Nocturnal Rites, Astral Doors, Tad Morose, Dream Evil, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dragonland
Finland: Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Thunderstone, Twilightning
Italy: Labyrinth, Vision Divine, Rhapsody
Norway: Jorn Lande, Khan (of Kamelot), TNT
Denmark: Mercenary, Royal Hunt
Greece: Firewind

At this point, I think I rest my case. I'm sure many will disagree, but it's obvious what I love.

Thought I must award merits to Australia, who has a lot more great metal band's than people give them credit for. Dungeon, Black Majesty, Vanishing Point, etc.

sneakbobcat
11-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Bodom, In Flames, Arch Enemy????? Edguy??

DreamEvil001
11-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Completely depends on the time period... In the eighties most of my favorite bands were from teh UK: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, Scorpions. While those bands are still mostly touring if you look at bands formed more recently Europe takes it with Edguy, Blind Guardian, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Dream Evil. Helloween, as well but they're older. The US also has a high density with Aerosmith, Dio, Metallica, Trivium, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Motley Crue, Rob Zombie, Queensryche, Pantera, Alice in Chains, Guns N' Roses... Damn this is hard...:flame:

Div
11-11-2006, 12:19 PM
It all comes down to this, US has Manowar.

Thread over.

DreamEvil001
11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
It all comes down to this, US has Manowar.

Thread over.

So... you mean the US is out of the running because of this??:confused:

Div
11-11-2006, 12:28 PM
So... you mean the US is out of the running because of this??:confused:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/5138/nfoe2.jpg

JRA
11-16-2006, 06:08 AM

:lol:

ADD
12-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Are we talking now, in the 90's, 80's, what?

rjturtle9
09-07-2009, 12:07 PM
My vote goes to the U.S.A just because i live here and i know first hand how big the metal community is over here. Every band comes to America at some point or another and IMO it's better to see iron Maiden at the forum than at a giant festival type show. You can see them clearer.

ADD
09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Haha

Dextrimental
09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
In terms of heritage, the UK provided the influence for Heavy Metal, the States has provided the kind of 'definition' of heavy metal, as most of what your average joe would consider heavy metal would come from America, and Europe has provided the variety, with the symphonic/death/black metal all mostly coming from there.

I went for America purely based on the fact my favorite bands come from there. Each side has their reason for winning, it really comes down to what u listen to the most. :)

Maiden33
09-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Holy shit, this thread is ancient, it has Hecho posts in it.

JRA
09-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Fuckin a! I was wondering what thread this was posted in! Now I can use it for my own nefarious purposes.

ravenheart
09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
My vote goes to the U.S.A just because i live here and i know first hand how big the metal community is over here. Every band comes to America at some point or another and IMO it's better to see iron Maiden at the forum than at a giant festival type show. You can see them clearer.

No they don't, but they do all come to London ;)

Plus, Europe has BOTH the arena and festival shows, including bands like Maiden and Metallica. You just don't hear about the real shows because the festivals get the headlines.

So that that's 0 for 2 ;)

UnleashTheWolves
09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
U.K (i.e Maiden, Sabbath, Motorhead, Priest)

Thoe I like Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth better than Motorhead and Priest.

UnleashTheWolves
09-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Europe knows its metal.:horns:

Maiden33
09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm sticking with my original vote, Europe is still where it's at for me. However over the past couple of years there's been a quality output shift in countries. A few years back I worshiped at the feet of Germany and Finland, but these days it's countries like Sweden, Denmark, and Norway which really have my attention.

DethMaiden
09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
My answer when this thread was made was "Other" on the grounds that who cares, there's great and awful bands from every country.

My new answer is :usa: :usa: :usa:

rjturtle9
09-07-2009, 04:16 PM
No they don't, but they do all come to London ;)

Plus, Europe has BOTH the arena and festival shows, including bands like Maiden and Metallica. You just don't hear about the real shows because the festivals get the headlines.

So that that's 0 for 2 ;)

yeah i was thinking about it, and Europe is the shit. i wish i can go back in time and change my vote

IrritatedTrout
09-07-2009, 05:07 PM
:uk:

Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, you can't beat the trinity. Every country has their share of great bands though.