PDA

View Full Version : Hell Is Here

EvilCheeseWedge
11-05-2006, 09:28 PM
What started as a jam the other week started to turn into a song this week at Ragefire practice. We decided to record a live version of the song to get a feel for what we could do with it. It's just from a microphone we stuck in the room with us, but it sounds relatively okay since our sound is decently mixed as we practice through a PA setup.

Anyways, what do you guys think of it? It's kind of slow and doomy (sort of Sabbathy.) It's definitely unfinished, but we like where it's going.

Another note... the lead work is just pulled out my ass, and really shitty, so don't worry about it. That's why it repeats itself for the faster part, because I was pretty lazy by the time we grabbed this and didn't feel like thinking.

No vocals as this song literally came into being today ;)

Thoughts? Likes? Dislikes? This is really early stage stuff, so I'm interested to hear what you guys would do differently... get an outside perspective, you know? :D

http://www.ragefiremusic.com/hih.mp3

overkiller
11-05-2006, 10:47 PM
fail gtfo

JRA
11-06-2006, 05:43 AM
Creating your music should be your business and your business only. Ya think Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath or even Metallica had a poll of people from message boards, or went around asking clumps of average joes to help them shape their music? No, they presented their music to the world like it is with out any kind of feedback and they did just fine in the success department. I'm glad they didn't cos most people on message boards are fuckin idiots.

What I'm saying is, while I'm sure there are people here that appreciate you putting your music up, the only one that should decide if its ready for proper release or if its in a perfect state should be the musician and musician alone. Other musicians here have their own musical visions and sometimes musicians would want to influence others to make music the way they think it should sound.

:2cents:

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 06:46 AM
fail gtfo
:lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Creating your music should be your business and your business only. Ya think Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath or even Metallica had a poll of people from message boards, or went around asking clumps of average joes to help them shape their music? No, they presented their music to the world like it is with out any kind of feedback and they did just fine in the success department. I'm glad they didn't cos most people on message boards are fuckin idiots.

What I'm saying is, while I'm sure there are people here that appreciate you putting your music up, the only one that should decide if its ready for proper release or if its in a perfect state should be the musician and musician alone. Other musicians here have their own musical visions and sometimes musicians would want to influence others to make music the way they think it should sound.

Nah, I know what you're saying, and just because people here do say something, doesn't mean it will necessarily be taken into account. However, when you look at Black Sabbath and Metallica they've made plenty of shitty music too, and sometimes I think that's because they lose sight of what they're actually doing.

I like getting an outside perspective on what we're doing. I do it all the time with people around here (in real life), but sometimes it's nice to have strangers rip on your stuff, because every once and a while they'll be right about something.

Plus with so many people here being musicians themselves, it's interesting - if nothing else - to hear their thoughts.

But I agree with you, and ask anybody in the band I'm a total douchebag with my material. Sure you can suggest something, but if I don't really care for it, then it's just too bad ;)

JRA
11-06-2006, 11:25 AM
But I agree with you, and ask anybody in the band I'm a total douchebag with my material. Sure you can suggest something, but if I don't really care for it, then it's just too bad ;)

It's actually good that you are like that. Shows that you know what you want.

Just try not to believe too much of the hype. ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 11:29 AM
It's actually good that you are like that. Shows that you know what you want.

Just try not to believe too much of the hype. ;)
I usually know what I want. Just ask our drummer. I had to yell him into the corner to get him to put some toms on the intro to this song the other day :lol:

;)

JRA
11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I usually know what I want. Just ask our drummer. I had to yell him into the corner to get him to put some toms on the intro to this song the other day :lol:

;)

Wow, if I was your drummer, you'd have to yell at me not to put toms on an intro. :D :eyes: Whether or not that's a good thing I don't know. I still have yet to determine Keith Moon's influence on me.

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Wow, if I was your drummer, you'd have to yell at me not to put toms on an intro. :D :eyes: Whether or not that's a good thing I don't know. I still have yet to determine Ketih Moon's influence on me.
Dammit! I think this song definitely calls for tom usage, especially in the intro. He was playing some basic snare type of beat and it just didn't seem at all sinister. It's still not quite where I want it, but at least there's some toms on it now...

JRA
11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Dammit! I think this song definitely calls for tom usage, especially in the intro. He was playing some basic snare type of beat and it just didn't seem at all sinister. It's still not quite where I want it, but at least there's some toms on it now...

Well, the only way of making drums sinister in my opinion is to go all Scott Travis on them, really.

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, the only way of making drums sinister in my opinion is to go all Scott Travis on them, really.
There's that too. Unfortunately our drummer doesn't have any double-kick equipment, but that's something I've been pushing for. The drummer and other guitarist (and other main songwriter as well) in the band are very much traditional in their metal, so initially they had what amounts to a moral opposition to double kick. But over time I've pushed them in a heavier direction.

Another thing is our drummer has practically no equipment. One decent crash cymbal (that the guitarist owns) and a cheap ass ride. Even the floor tom belongs to the guitarist. Bah.

JRA
11-06-2006, 11:56 AM
There's that too. Unfortunately our drummer doesn't have any double-kick equipment, but that's something I've been pushing for. The drummer and other guitarist (and other main songwriter as well) in the band are very much traditional in their metal, so initially they had what amounts to a moral opposition to double kick. But over time I've pushed them in a heavier direction.

Another thing is our drummer has practically no equipment. One decent crash cymbal (that the guitarist owns) and a cheap ass ride. Even the floor tom belongs to the guitarist. Bah.

Well, you don't want to be going double kick throughout an entire song. I think double kicks should be saved for important climaxes. I think that's why Dave Lombardo became so popular, because he knew when and when not to use them.

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, you don't want to be going double kick throughout an entire song. I think double kicks should be saved for important climaxes. I think that's why Dave Lombardo became so popular, because he knew when and when not to use them.
I know what you mean. I think some well-timed double kicks could really spice stuff up though. More then anything I'd just like to have it as an "option" on the table. "Hey, what would this sound like with a little bit of double kick here?" - that sort of thing.

JRA
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I know what you mean. I think some well-timed double kicks could really spice stuff up though. More then anything I'd just like to have it as an "option" on the table. "Hey, what would this sound like with a little bit of double kick here?" - that sort of thing.

Indeed. That's the thing about guitarists and drummers. When a guitarist tries to learn a song, the only problem is playing it, cos you've got six strings. Whereas if you want to play, say, a song from the latter day Rush catalogue, oy, midi's and xylophones and gongs, oh my!

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Indeed. That's the thing about guitarists and drummers. When a guitarist tries to learn a song, the only problem is playing it, cos you've got six strings. Whereas if you want to play, say, a song from the latter day Rush catalogue, oy, midi's and xylophones and gongs, oh my!

amen to that. And if you want to play Sepultura you need to go to africa and buy some tribal bongos.

DethMaiden
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
If I had the money, I'd have a sick prog band. We'd implement hundreds of instruments.

Maiden33
11-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Well, in my opinion...

Creating your own music should be your business, which means to not ask other people for ideas. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing your ideas or finished songs for people and asking them what they think about it. It helps more than it hurts in most cases. I don't ever let people change my beliefs with their opinions, but every now and then it can be a useful way of getting some necessary feedback that helped you realize something usefull.

Maiden33
11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
If I had the money, I'd have a sick prog band. We'd implement hundreds of instruments.

In all fairness, you're full of shit.

Think about it. Hundreds? I think not. Even dozens is a stretch, depending on what you classify as a different instrument. If you count each type of instrument as one instrument, you can only use so much and still have it be relevant to anything. Even if you use a full orchestra + whatever random shit you might come across, you're still not gonna be in the hundreds of instruments catagory.

JRA
11-06-2006, 05:22 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Div
11-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Adding too many insturments makes things go all over the fuckin place and people listening to it wont have any idea whats going on.

MetalDrummer888
11-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Adding too many insturments makes things go all over the fuckin place and people listening to it wont have any idea whats going on.
nightfall in middle earth by Blind guardian was recorded with 124 layers.

and it fucking owns :allan:

SomewhereInTime72
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
:lol: Are you serious? Thats awesome. :tongue:

ADD
11-07-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm with ya :party:

I finally came up with our name btw.....Pineapple Exhaust Pipe :rocker:

Div
11-07-2006, 12:42 PM

and it fucking owns :allan:

:eek:

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 01:40 PM

:party: :party: :party:

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
In all fairness, you're full of shit.

Think about it. Hundreds? I think not. Even dozens is a stretch, depending on what you classify as a different instrument. If you count each type of instrument as one instrument, you can only use so much and still have it be relevant to anything. Even if you use a full orchestra + whatever random shit you might come across, you're still not gonna be in the hundreds of instruments catagory.

I was purposesly exaggerating ;) But still...it would rule to have a multifaceted prog band that implements nothing synthetic, all the actual instruments.

ADD
11-07-2006, 03:33 PM
We're doing it when we're old enough, watch out:allan:

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 03:37 PM

Fuck yeah :rocker:

Maiden33
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM

I wish you a HUGE amount of luck. And when I say luck, I mean financial aide. It will cost you not only a small, but a fairly large-sized fortune in order to hire all the musicians to make that possible... assuming you don't play in a band that has enough talents to provide it almost entirely yourselves.

ADD
11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I wish you a HUGE amount of luck. And when I say luck, I mean financial aide. It will cost you not only a small, but a fairly large-sized fortune in order to hire all the musicians to make that possible... assuming you don't play in a band that has enough talents to provide it almost entirely yourselves.
We plan on doing it the 2 of us:allan:

MetalDrummer888
11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
dude you really need to shut the fuck up. you have wasted your time writing all these ridiculous arguments against posts that people have made in jest. Both ADD and Dethmaiden were purposefully exagerating and joking around a bit . . . chill out :tp:

MetalDrummer888
11-07-2006, 07:46 PM
btw . . . concerning the song, i think the fast part is really great . . . but to be honset you guys really need to develope a more unique sound . . . you almost sound like a sabbath cover band.

Maiden33
11-09-2006, 08:36 AM
dude you really need to shut the fuck up. you have wasted your time writing all these ridiculous arguments against posts that people have made in jest. Both ADD and Dethmaiden were purposefully exagerating and joking around a bit . . . chill out :tp:

Umm, alright.

Dethmaiden (Brad) is a VERY good friend of mine, we pick on eachother all the time, he know's where I'm coming from. Unlike you.

DethMaiden
11-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Umm, alright.

Dethmaiden (Brad) is a VERY good friend of mine, we pick on eachother all the time, he know's where I'm coming from. Unlike you.

Yeah, don't freak out if Maiden33 here gives me a hard time or vice versa, we'd be doing it anyway :tongue:

EvilCheeseWedge
11-09-2006, 11:41 AM
btw . . . concerning the song, i think the fast part is really great . . . but to be honset you guys really need to develope a more unique sound . . . you almost sound like a sabbath cover band.

Cool.

Don't worry about that. You've only heard two songs. One was written by my friend, and while this is mostly mine, the fast part, and the ending of the verse riff (the dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun thing) are also my friends.

The stuff I have written solely, however, sounds totally different. And that's the reason we don't have any up yet, because it's harder to play, harder to record, and generally takes more work ;)

Not to take away from the other songs, but my stuff doesn't really sound like Sabbath - it's more modern. I can definitely see where you're coming from with this and "Messiah" though.

DethMaiden
11-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Cool.

Don't worry about that. You've only heard two songs. One was written by my friend, and while this is mostly mine, the fast part, and the ending of the verse riff (the dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun thing) are also my friends.

The stuff I have written solely, however, sounds totally different. And that's the reason we don't have any up yet, because it's harder to play, harder to record, and generally takes more work ;)

Not to take away from the other songs, but my stuff doesn't really sound like Sabbath - it's more modern. I can definitely see where you're coming from with this and "Messiah" though.

Would you like to join Addi and myself in Pineapple Exhaust Pipe? :tongue:

EvilCheeseWedge
11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Would you like to join Addi and myself in Pineapple Exhaust Pipe? :tongue:
:lol:

My stuff is definitely proggier than what everybody's heard from RF so far ;) I really hope to have one of my songs finished and recorded by the next week or two. I'm just finishing the lyrics with the vocalist and then it's done for one that has become a favorite of mine.

es156
11-09-2006, 04:00 PM

Just might be the coolest band name since Creepy Cheese Balls!

:)

ADD
11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Just might be the coolest band name since Creepy Cheese Balls!

:)

:stoned: