PDA

View Full Version : Once and for all!

powerslave_85
11-05-2006, 02:28 PM
The Family Guy vs. The Simpsons debate has been raging for a while, so vote for your favorite. I threw in some other choices too, just in case those aren't your cup of tea. If you have another favorite, say so.

My two cents: The Simpsons, despite their decline, will always reign supreme. Seasons 3-8 are completely untouchable, even against the best Family Guy has to offer. Family Guy jumped the shark after it came back, and is just a parody of itself (South Park's "Cartoon Wars" was so dead on that I can hardly enjoy Family Guy anymore). I think my basic ranking of "adult animated shows" would look something like this:

1. The Simpsons
2. Futurama
3. Tie: Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Bros.
4. South Park
5. Family Guy
6. Sealab 2021
7. American Dad

So, let the bloodshed begin! :party:

KerryKingsBeard
11-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Simpsons.

If Family Guy lasts 18 years, then we'll talk

JRA
11-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Simpsons.

If Family Guy lasts 18 years, then we'll talk

I actually prefer Family Guy, but truer words have never been spoken.

As for Family Guy vs. South Park, Matt Stone & Trey Parker haven't had a single funny idea in their heads since the South Park movie. Nuff said.

powerslave_85
11-05-2006, 02:51 PM
I think South Park continues to get funnier and more clever as time goes on. And the fact that they STILL find ways to piss people off after so long is pretty impressive.

Div
11-05-2006, 03:21 PM
I think South Park continues to get funnier and more clever as time goes on. And the fact that they STILL find ways to piss people off after so long is pretty impressive.

Agreed :fist:

I'm going to say ATHF is the best, there hasn't been a single episode that hasn't made me almost fall out of my chair.

KillYourFace
11-05-2006, 04:14 PM
south park by far

DethMaiden
11-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Family Guy. I realize Simpsons is more classic and there's the argument that it has lasted so long, but that's like saying The Beatles are the best blokes to plug in guitars. Revolutionary isn't always spectacular.

EvilCheeseWedge
11-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Simpsons. I might've said Family Guy, but I think since the post-cancellation stuff hasn't quite been up to par. Some very good stuff, to be sure... but. Eh.

South Park is pretty good too. The WoW episode :horns:

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 05:58 PM
I voted for South Park...like brad said..Simpsons have been around longer, but they arent the best...and like ECW said, Family isnt as funny as it could be.

SomewhereInTime72
11-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Family guy is funnier.

MetalDrummer888
11-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Family Guy. I realize Simpsons is more classic and there's the argument that it has lasted so long, but that's like saying The Beatles are the best blokes to plug in guitars. Revolutionary isn't always spectacular.
well said . . . family guy by far :party: :party:

DreamEvil001
11-05-2006, 07:22 PM
I've been watching Simpsons for a VERY long time, almost grew up with them, and while they will always be classic they aren't as laugh out loud as Family Guy. ALthough, i only own seasons 1&2 of Family Guy and haven't really watched the new stuff. South Park is lame and Futurama is not funny. American Dad is wierd.:)

So, Family Guy.

JRA
11-05-2006, 07:44 PM

I've been watching Simpsons for a VERY long time, almost grew up with them, and while they will always be classic they aren't as laugh out loud as Family Guy. ALthough, i only own seasons 1&2 of Family Guy and haven't really watched the new stuff. South Park is lame and Futurama is not funny. American Dad is wierd.:)

So, Family Guy.

Smart men.

Div
11-05-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA3yWObTV1E

family guy's randomness is NOTHING compared to this

powerslave_85
11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
I can't fathom how someone could say that Family Guy is laugh-out-loud funny, but The Simpsons isn't. I could watch seasons four and five 24 hours a day and still laugh at every joke. Jamming as many throwaway pop culture references as you can into an episode is no substitute for clever, witty writing, something The Simpsons had down to an art form.

JRA
11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA3yWObTV1E

family guy's randomness is NOTHING compared to this

:lol:

I just watched that 3 hours ago. That's so weird that you bring it up now. Wow.

SnakeCharmer
11-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Simpsons gets my vote but based on how many quality seasons it has had not because its the oldest of the bunch because definitely the last 3 or 4 seasons haven't been as good but there was a golden period from like season 5 to season 10 or 11 where it was unrivaled and no other series comes close to matching it IMO.

I enjoy Family Guy but too often it blatantly copies shows like The Simpsons.

Futurama is fantastic because of its random references to sci-fi and obscure stuff that somehow I seem to know. :eyes:

I dont go out of my way to see South Park but I find it hilarious everytime I watch it.

HECHO EN MEXICO
11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Family Guy

JRA
11-06-2006, 05:44 AM
I can't fathom how someone could say that Family Guy is laugh-out-loud funny, but The Simpsons isn't. I could watch seasons four and five 24 hours a day and still laugh at every joke. Jamming as many throwaway pop culture references as you can into an episode is no substitute for clever, witty writing, something The Simpsons had down to an art form.

I never said the Simpsons wasn't laugh out loud funny.

powerslave_85
11-06-2006, 06:03 AM
I never said I was referring to you.

Spiral_Slave
11-06-2006, 06:10 AM

Hell yeah have you been watching the new season?

Div
11-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I hate two part episodes :(

sneakbobcat
11-06-2006, 10:55 AM
South Park.

If you have seen one of the latest episodes, you will know undoubtedly who is the winner.

"Make Love Not Warcraft"

They teamed up with Blizzard to make this episode it's very funny.

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
The WoW episode was great, but South Park gets a little too preachy sometimes. They used to always rail against celebrities that thought they knew it all because they were celebrities. Ironically, I think South Park is basically the thing it used to mock. It’s Stone and Parker’s ideological mouthpiece, although I will concede South Park is usually still pretty funny, but not nearly as much as what it once was.

JRA
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
The WoW episode was great, but South Park gets a little too preachy sometimes. They used to always rail against celebrities that thought they knew it all because they were celebrities. Ironically, I think South Park is basically the thing it used to mock. It’s Stone and Parker’s ideological mouthpiece, although I will concede South Park is usually still pretty funny, but not nearly as much as what it once was.

That's exactly what the problem is. Matt & Trey think their opinions matter so much that they think they have to sacrifice being funny in order to get them across. It's quite clever how they execute it, really. They show you the preview of something actually being funny (who took a dump in the urinal?), and then when you go to watch the episode, within the first 3 minutes you see something that's been in the news/media alot lately (9/11 conspiracy theroists) and then you realize "Oh that's what they're going to preach about this time" and it completely ruins the episode.

I remember when the exact opposite was the case. The four boys would get into some kind of shennanigans completely unrelated to anything, they'd all call each other names that were funny when we were 14 or 15 (because honestly, that's who the show was marketed to), Cartman would threaten to kick Kyle in nuts, and at least half of the town would be leveled. And at the end Kyle would say "you know I've learned something today," and it would be something fickle but adorable because its coming out of a child's mouth, and we'd all go "yea, he's right" and smile.

Now they're busy saying "Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet," Are you fucking kidding me? Tom Cruise has been written off as gay ever since everyone here was in the sixth grade (well, not the old guys). It was our way of expressing jealousy that male movie stars were getting all the hot Hollywood pussy and we weren't.

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 12:00 PM
That's exactly what the problem is. Matt & Trey think their opinions matter so much that they think they have to sacrifice being funny in order to get them across. It's quite clever how they execute it, really. They show you the preview of something actually being funny, and then when you go to watch the episode, within the first 3 minutes you see something that's been in the news/media alot lately and then you realize "Oh that's what they're going to preach about this time" and it completely ruins the episode.

I remember when the exact opposite was the case. The four boys would get into some kind of shennanigans completely unrelated to anything, they'd all call each other names that were funny when we were 14 or 15 (because honestly, that's who the show was marketed to), Cartman would threaten to kick Kyle in nuts, and at least half of the town would be leveled. And at the end Kyle would say "you know I've learned something today," and it would be something fickle but adorable because its coming out of a child's mouth, and we'd all go "yea, he's right" and smile.

Now they're busy saying "Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet," Are you fucking kidding me? Tom Cruise has been written off as gay ever since everyone here was in the sixth grade (well, not the old guys). It was our way of expressing jealousy that male movie stars were getting all the hot Hollywood pussy and we weren't.
You nailed it :fist:

Div
11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I thought last weeks episode was pretty good, cartman wants a Wii and ends up in the future being targeted for assassination by scientifically enhanced sea otters :wtf: :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
11-07-2006, 04:44 AM
That's exactly what the problem is. Matt & Trey think their opinions matter so much that they think they have to sacrifice being funny in order to get them across. It's quite clever how they execute it, really. They show you the preview of something actually being funny (who took a dump in the urinal?), and then when you go to watch the episode, within the first 3 minutes you see something that's been in the news/media alot lately (9/11 conspiracy theroists) and then you realize "Oh that's what they're going to preach about this time" and it completely ruins the episode.

This is pretty much why I almost never watch new South Park anymore.

zgodt
11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
The Tick

SirLardsAlot
04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
The Tick:party: :party:

IronFist
04-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force!!

Bouville
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force!!

:fist:

Div
04-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force!!

I think it's safe to assume that going to see this movie opening day will be more fun than Pirates: Worlds End AND Spiderman 3 combined :allan:

theclansman1114
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM

:fist: Hell yeah. I was torn between The Simpsons and Southpark. I had to give it to South Park though, even though I've seen way more Simpsons episodes, Southpark is just too damn funny.

And Family Guy is terribly overrated.:eek:

zgodt
04-02-2007, 09:00 PM
And Family Guy is terribly overrated.:eek:
:party:

theclansman1114
04-03-2007, 06:29 AM
:party:

Glad to see I'm not the only one to think so.

ChildrenofSodom
04-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Necromancy is a sin.

Fe Maiden
04-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Family Guy or Futurama

JRA
04-25-2007, 07:23 PM
So....

What cartoons did people like when they were kids?

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
So....

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dragonball Z (still do), Captain Planet, and the mighty...

http://sillymidget.com/uploads/Moviestills/Thundercats.jpg

JRA
04-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,

The old one or the new one?

Div
So....

ninja turtles

Div
and Dexters Lab, cant forget that one!

powerslave_85
04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
So....

OFF TOPIC! :mad:

JRA
04-25-2007, 07:32 PM
OFF TOPIC! :mad:

Well, I was gonna start a "cartoon discussion thread" but I figured that would have been too redundant with this already here.

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2007, 07:47 PM
and Dexters Lab, cant forget that one!

yeah..that one too...and Johnny Bravo

zgodt
04-26-2007, 08:29 AM
So....

Looney Toons :party:
Dungeons & Dragons
Transformers
G.I. Joe
Superfriends
The Smurfs
Thundarr the Barbarian

powerslave_85
04-26-2007, 05:06 PM
It's weird watching Looney Tunes now, because you sit there thinking "Wow, that's really fucking racist/sexist/whatever" :lol:

Did anyone else watch the Ghostbusters cartoon. That was awesome.

JRA
04-26-2007, 06:26 PM
It's weird watching Looney Tunes now, because you sit there thinking "Wow, that's really fucking racist/sexist/whatever" :lol:

Not to mention how violent it actually was. I was watching this one Bugs Bunny episode, and he fucking hacked Elmer Fudd's face with a razor.:eek: