PDA

View Full Version : Karmic Retribution

ChildrenofSodom
10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
We posted a new song intro on our site. It is called Karmic Retribution. Brad should post the lyrics soon. The track is only the short intro with rough drums and rough bass. We will hopefully record the guitar next weekend and clean it all up. Our new singer will hopefully come up and practice with us soon,too.

Its our first attempt at music-making, so be gentle in your firestorms. ;)

www.myspace.com/livingmartyrohio

powerslave_85
10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Yikes. Those drums are unlistenable.

ChildrenofSodom
10-23-2006, 02:45 AM

thank you.

DethMaiden
10-23-2006, 02:45 AM
Well, I was hoping to not post anything until the whole thing was polished. So I'm sticking to my verdict. You don't get any lyrics until they go with a song in which they're being sung.

ChildrenofSodom
10-23-2006, 03:00 AM
Well, I was hoping to not post anything until the whole thing was polished. So I'm sticking to my verdict. You don't get any lyrics until they go with a song in which they're being sung.

I'm giving a taste. Next weekend we can get mike up there, finish the song, and get some vocals down.

ChildrenofSodom
10-23-2006, 04:07 PM

Any drummers out there have any tips for weakening/dampening drums. Any pads or anything I can put on/under the cymbal to make them less overbearing?

We are using an Olympus digital recorder because we cant afford studio time (and we dont have enough songs right now.) Any tips? A kid at school suggested recording each instrument individually and then overlaying the tracks in a program like Audacity (which I am using.)

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Brad is going to kill me, but we took the old song off, added a vocals-only sample thing....and I am about to add the guitar/bass things...without drums...so...check it out

overkiller
11-05-2006, 05:58 PM
fail gtfo

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 05:59 PM
fail gtfo

what?

Div
11-05-2006, 06:19 PM
the vocalist on Spiral Slave's song was 10x better then that.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
the new song is up. We hadnt practiced very much, and Brad and my brother slip a few times...but i think you get the idea of it all.

I will mess around of Audacity and try to get the vocals louder, and try to sync up some drums...

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
the vocalist on Spiral Slave's song was 10x better then that.
which one did you like THE BEST?

Div
11-05-2006, 06:23 PM
which one did you like THE BEST?

I can't really judge what you have cause its not a song yet, but I def think you should find a different means of recording, there was way too much distortion in the bass/guitars demo.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 06:33 PM
I can't really judge what you have cause its not a song yet, but I def think you should find a different means of recording, there was way too much distortion in the bass/guitars demo.

it wasnt meant to be the "official demo." It was just to give a taste, and so we can keep track of what he have in the song...once we get the whole song together, I know a guy that has a recording studio..so we can record it correctly....

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 06:34 PM

do you like the growling, or the black metal squels?

Div
11-05-2006, 06:52 PM
do you like the growling, or the black metal squels?

Eh, that style of singing isn't my cup of tea. And theres too much distortion to tell what it really sounds like anyway.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Eh, that style of singing isn't my cup of tea. And theres too much distortion to tell what it really sounds like anyway.

yeah....on the recorder playback it sounds fine, but from the transfer to Audacity, and then conversion to MP3 it lost ALOT of quality.

The growling is me and the squelling is brad (dethmaiden)

MetalDrummer888
11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
can you guys actually play your intruments or is this just a joke?

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 07:05 PM
can you guys actually play your intruments or is this just a joke?

why do you say that?

MetalDrummer888
11-05-2006, 07:08 PM
why do you say that?
because it sounds like a lot of distortion and screaming . . . maybe its just the bad sound quality

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 07:11 PM
because it sounds like a lot of distortion and screaming . . . maybe its just the bad sound quality

The vocal demo is just us standing there and growling into the mic. The Karmicguitarbass is just my brother and brad playing their guitar and bass, through the intro and first verse...They both messed up a little, but we had just thought most of it up about an hour before, so. The other song is karmicguitarbass with my sad attempt at adding the vocals in.

With time will come practice and with practice will come experience and with experience will come know-how.

MetalDrummer888
11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
The vocal demo is just us standing there and growling into the mic. The Karmicguitarbass is just my brother and brad playing their guitar and bass, through the intro and first verse...They both messed up a little, but we had just thought most of it up about an hour before, so. The other song is karmicguitarbass with my sad attempt at adding the vocals in.

With time will come practice and with practice will come experience and with experience will come know-how.
then why did you bother recording it. Dont waste your time with deciding band names and lame photo-shoots . . . actually write songs and then rehearse them until they are tight and exactly how you want them. Then record them in a studio. Thats proffessional. This whole thing seems like you guys just dicking around for fun.

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
This whole thing seems like you guys just dicking around for fun.

Oh...I forgot...Steve Harris, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Ronnie James Dio, Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield, Kerry King, Tom Araya, Dimebag Darrel, Rob Halford, KK Downing, and any other musician never messed around when playing music. They all started bands with 100% seriousness and were A+ artists as soon as they picked up their instruments. :tp:

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 07:19 PM
then why did you bother recording it. Dont waste your time with deciding band names and lame photo-shoots . . . actually write songs and then rehearse them until they are tight and exactly how you want them. Then record them in a studio. Thats proffessional. This whole thing seems like you guys just dicking around for fun.

the band names was already decided, names for songs and lyrics were also pre-decided. The photo shoots were on our own time, and didnt take very long, as a matter of fact.

We are writing songs, and rehearsing them.

MetalDrummer888
11-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Oh...I forgot...Steve Harris, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Ronnie James Dio, Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield, Kerry King, Tom Araya, Dimebag Darrel, Rob Halford, KK Downing, and any other musician never messed around when playing music. They all started bands with 100% seriousness and were A+ artists as soon as they picked up their instruments. :tp:
thats not what im talking about and you know it.
there is a big difference between making music for fun and making noise for fun and calling it music . . . im not saying that you guys suck, but cmon listen to that stuff . . . its crap. After you have written some actual music and recorded it, then i will take you guys seriously.

btw your pm box is full so i cant respond to ur message

ChildrenofSodom
11-05-2006, 07:36 PM
thats not what im talking about and you know it.
there is a big difference between making music for fun and making noise for fun and calling it music . . . im not saying that you guys suck, but cmon listen to that stuff . . . its crap. After you have written some actual music and recorded it, then i will take you guys seriously.

btw your pm box is full so i cant respond to ur message

we are going to keep practicing and getting better. The stuff sounded pretty good when we were playing, but like I said, quality is more than halved during the transfer from recorder to WAV to MP3

go ahead and send the message

DethMaiden
11-06-2006, 02:38 AM
If we get real equipment/studio time this will suck less. But yes, it sucks right now. Balls.

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 02:40 AM
If we get real equipment/studio time this will suck less. But yes, it sucks right now. Balls.

yeah..I know

But after sleeping, and then listening to the song again this morning, I can remember the sound we were shooting for, and it's pretty cool. Amanda said she would let us use a studio that he mixes some of her bands in.

KillYourFace
11-06-2006, 05:34 AM
I'll be your drummer

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
I'll be your drummer

we have a drummer....:eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't recommened hitting a studio yet. You guys need to play and get your stuff down 110% and then record. Practice, practice, practice - I can't stress it enough. Maybe even play a few shows or something, see how material works live. We almost always tweak stuff after we play it live.

In my last band, the vocalist and one of the drummers always wanted to record. Photo shoot. Now, now, now! It was ridiculous. The one drummer hadn't been onboard for a more then a few weeks when he wanted to start recording. You don't want to rush stuff before you know the material. The first drummer my last band had was not nearly as ready as he thought for our first show. Poor dude totally lost it by the end and just stopped playing. Thankfully people were too drunk to notice :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't recommened hitting a studio yet. You guys need to play and get your stuff down 110% and then record. Practice, practice, practice - I can't stress it enough. Maybe even play a few shows or something, see how material works live. We almost always tweak stuff after we play it live.

In my last band, the vocalist and one of the drummers always wanted to record. Photo shoot. Now, now, now! It was ridiculous. The one drummer hadn't been onboard for a more then a few weeks when he wanted to start recording. You don't want to rush stuff before you know the material. The first drummer my last band had was not nearly as ready as he thought for our first show. Poor dude totally lost it by the end and just stopped playing. Thankfully people were too drunk to notice :lol:
Yeah, totally. I am not interested in recording. it is just nice to know we have the connections to do so when the time comes. And like i said before, one band already said we could play at their show if we wanted to.

And maybe next spring Living Martyr can open for the RageFire/Kenoma World Tour! :eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah, totally. I am not interested in recording. it is just nice to know we have the connections to do so when the time comes. And like i said before, one band already said we could play at their show if we wanted to.

And maybe next spring Living Martyr can open for the RageFire/Kenoma World Tour! :eyes:
:fist:

Fuck yeah, we'll come play some shows with yous guy down in your area of Ohio in the spring for sure. We're already talking to another NW Ohio band about a spring/summer '07 midwest tour. We got a call yesterday to go with them to play a show in Texas in July :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Fuck yeah, we'll come play some shows with yous guy down in your area of Ohio in the spring for sure. We're already talking to another NW Ohio band about a spring/summer '07 midwest tour. We got a call yesterday to go with them to play a show in Texas in July :lol:

cool. There is a place called the Roundhouse (a small building in the park) near us, where Kenoma play semi-often. Hopefully Brad and set up something with Kenoma to bring you guys down, along with maybe a few more locals bands like Miss May I (look for their myspace page) and maybe get us a 20 minute set....

I told brad we could just be like Kenoma or Opeth and play the same thing over and over again for 12 minutes and call it a song :D

EvilCheeseWedge
11-06-2006, 12:20 PM
cool. There is a place called the Roundhouse (a small building in the park) near us, where Kenoma play semi-often. Hopefully Brad and set up something with Kenoma to bring you guys down, along with maybe a few more locals bands like Miss May I (look for their myspace page) and maybe get us a 20 minute set....

I told brad we could just be like Kenoma or Opeth and play the same thing over and over again for 12 minutes and call it a song :D
:horns:

:lol: Our goal is to play a 6-song set in December, which will be Ragefire's debut live performance. Basically half original material, half covers (2 out of 3 of the covers being ones people haven't heard from us before in any other bands we've been in.) Our goal is by the spring to have a self-recorded EP with 3-4 original songs (ones we feel are the best) and one cover performed live as a bonus. With that EP at the ready, we'd like to have a 20-song set (minimum) to hit the road with. I would highly doubt we'd ever play 20 songs in a single night. Probably 5-10 depending on how much time we're given, but the idea is we can rotate songs.

I think we're getting closer. Our last big hurdle was vocals, but our vocalist has been working pretty hard...

DethMaiden
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM

Someone doesn't listen carefully to music :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM

look me straight in the avatar and tell me that Kenoma do not repeat over and over again, for the most part..

DethMaiden
11-06-2006, 02:56 PM
look me straight in the avatar and tell me that Kenoma do not repeat over and over again, for the most part..

You would know because you own their album and all.

They do to a degree, but Opeth??? They're the one band I can name who DON'T do that.

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 02:58 PM
You would know because you own their album and all.

They do to a degree, but Opeth??? They're the one band I can name who DON'T do that.

okay...maybe not opeth, I just fall asleep halfway through SOME songs, and it all sounds the same...

ADD
11-06-2006, 03:07 PM
I figured that out I think after his first couple posts here:lol:

DethMaiden
11-06-2006, 03:10 PM

:lol:

"Revelation #3..." ;)

ADD
11-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Oh...I forgot...Steve Harris

One thing I have always admired about Steve is that he always had the vision from day one. You don't get to be Iron Maiden from jamming with random dudes once every so often. He knew what he wanted; he wrote the songs, got the guys, had the vision, and executed it. The model for any up-and-coming band/musician I think.

DethMaiden
11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
One thing I have always admired about Steve is that he always had the vision from day one. You don't get to be Iron Maiden from jamming with random dudes once every so often. He knew what he wanted; he wrote the songs, got the guys, had the vision, and executed it. The model for any up-and-coming band/musician I think.

True, it's very inspiring. Fortunately I never hope to make anything of myself as a musician and I don't have to mold myself in his image or anyone's :party:

ChildrenofSodom
11-06-2006, 05:19 PM
sorry....I dont like sitting in dimlit rooms and listening for enlightening backmasking on all my Tool records.

ADD
11-07-2006, 12:22 PM
sorry....I dont like sitting in dimlit rooms and listening for enlightening backmasking on all my Tool records.
I guess we have something in common then :party:

Except you don't listen to "records", and you only own their latest CD, so :nutkick:

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 01:39 PM
You don't have to go about it in a spiritual way (though I sometimes do), but listening to a given album in it's entirety separates poseurs from true music fans. I am of course the latter, as I'm sure many people here are.

ADD
11-07-2006, 03:31 PM
You don't have to go about it in a spiritual way (though I sometimes do), but listening to a given album in it's entirety separates poseurs from true music fans. I am of course the latter, as I'm sure many people here are.

Yeah. For me, different albums do different thinks. Some are very spiritual and deeply meanginful to me, others are purely for the sonic enjoyment, every album serves its own niche for me. For me music is hands down the single greatest entity in the world. If someone told me there was a truely tangible God, and that I could find where he lives, I would say he lives in music.

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah. For me, different albums do different thinks. Some are very spiritual and deeply meanginful to me, others are purely for the sonic enjoyment, every album serves its own niche for me. For me music is hands down the single greatest entity in the world. If someone told me there was a truely tangible God, and that I could find where he lives, I would say he lives in music.

POST OF THE FUCKING CENTURY

ADD
11-07-2006, 03:33 PM
POST OF THE FUCKING CENTURY

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM

In all seriousness, I think music is the peak of human achievement, nothing can match the emotion put into a well-written song. Watching a movie or reading a book can sometimes do this, but music more often than not will be an experience that puts you in a certain frame of mind, nevermind your prior one. Music is the most powerful thing on earth, no matter its form, and to corrupt its sanctity is a shame. I think that every day, for the good of a person's soul, they should be required to listen to music. I would go insane without it.

:2cents:

ADD
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
In all seriousness, I think music is the peak of human achievement, nothing can match the emotion put into a well-written song. Watching a movie or reading a book can sometimes do this, but music more often than not will be an experience that puts you in a certain frame of mind, nevermind your prior one. Music is the most powerful thing on earth, no matter its form, and to corrupt its sanctity is a shame. I think that every day, for the good of a person's soul, they should be required to listen to music. I would go insane without it.

:2cents:
This post is a zillion times better put than mine. Righteous :metal: I especially agree with that first part. Humans have yet to outdo music.

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
This post is a zillion times better put than mine. Righteous :metal: I especially agree with that first part. Humans have yet to outdo music.

Music > democracy > fire > the wheel

ADD
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Music > democracy > fire > the wheel

:lol: Mine would probably go music > LPs/record players > CDs/stereos > MP3's > Radio

:party:

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 03:42 PM
:lol: Mine would probably go music > LPs/record players > CDs/stereos > MP3's > Radio

:party:

:lol: Then democracy, fire and the wheel ;)

ADD
11-07-2006, 03:43 PM
:lol: Then democracy, fire and the wheel ;)
:D

EvilCheeseWedge
11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, you gotta put it into perspective too. I'm pretty sure music isn't the most important thing for a deaf person ;)

On that note, I can't even imagine being deaf. To not be able ot hear music would probably drive me insane(er) :(

DethMaiden
11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Well, you gotta put it into perspective too. I'm pretty sure music isn't the most important thing for a deaf person ;)

On that note, I can't even imagine being deaf. To not be able ot hear music would probably drive me insane(er) :(

If I went deaf I'd be a Beethoven and still just sing/imagine music.

ADD
11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
If I went deaf I'd be a Beethoven and still just sing/imagine music.
:metal:

ChildrenofSodom
11-08-2006, 11:58 AM
In all seriousness, I think music is the peak of human achievement, nothing can match the emotion put into a well-written song.

i think there are plenty of other situations where emotions can be expressed strongly, without music.

ADD
11-08-2006, 01:25 PM
i think there are plenty of other situations where emotions can be expressed strongly, without music.
I don't:party:

As Brad said, books and movies are good sometimes too, but they simply pale in comparison.

DethMaiden
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM

As Brad said, books and movies are good sometimes too, but they simply pale in comparison.

Nor I, music can suit any possible need.

A lot of it is because it's too much what the creator feels, whereas I can put my own experience into another person's music and feel fulfilled.

ChildrenofSodom
11-08-2006, 04:13 PM

are you saying emotions can only be obtained through written, visual, or auditory stimulation?

DethMaiden
11-08-2006, 04:43 PM
are you saying emotions can only be obtained through written, visual, or auditory stimulation?

No, he is/we are saying that the greatest external emotion is obtained through music.

ChildrenofSodom
11-08-2006, 04:48 PM
No, he is/we are saying that the greatest external emotion is obtained through music.
okay...well...then...nevermind...

i was going to say...dont you think a multiple orgasm would feel better than listening to music?

DethMaiden
11-08-2006, 04:49 PM
okay...well...then...nevermind...

i was going to say...dont you think a multiple orgasm would feel better than listening to music?

Can't I have both?

ChildrenofSodom
11-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Can't I have both?
you could play guitar and have sex...like the Nuge.

DethMaiden
11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
you could play guitar and have sex...like the Nuge.