PDA

View Full Version : Said hed be your savior...

EvilCheeseWedge
10-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Alright, opinions needed on our recording of "Messiah"

http://www.ragefiremusic.com/messiah.mp3

This is Demo Part I, which is basically the song's final structure and a rough idea of what we want it to sound like. No vocals.

Thoughts? Likes, dislikes?

It's hard to get a good feel without vocals. This is our C# Sabbathy sounding song. Guitar and bass laid down in one take (sorry for the shitty solo.) We're trying to get a few ideas so we can tweak it for the final recording, which will include vocals. Then we'd like to close the book on this song for a while.

Our next song, which is half-way recorded, is quite a bit different then this... far more complex (which is why it only got half-way recorded today!)

powerslave_85
10-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Musically, it's really solid. And the solo isn't as bad as you say it is. I'll be interested to hear it with vocals!

EvilCheeseWedge
10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Musically, it's really solid. And the solo isn't as bad as you say it is. I'll be interested to hear it with vocals!

Yeah, I will be too actually, since we have a new vocalist and a new vocal line (this song used to be something totally different with our old vocalist in another a band.)

Here's the lyrics:

But a man came to you—said he’d be your savior
He promised that he’d set you free—if you did’m a favor
“There’s some people out there, son, that’d keep you here
They’d rather keep you locked away, and riddled full of fear,”
“But I’ve got a plan, man, don’t be afraid
A little planned destruction is gonna get you paid!”

I’ve never had to kill a man—‘til I was ordered to—
Opened my eyes to the sins they willfully pursued,
Necessary casualties, just victims of themselves
And now I’ll send them on their way, to feel the wrath of hell
I do my master’s work, and leave my will behind
Sow the seeds of vengeance through the land of the blind

(Sinstrumental)

I can’t explain to you, the way that I feel
This pain inside me just cannot be real
I know what I’m doin’ is wrong, but I just can’t quit
The angel on my wing is Death, and forever he shall sit
I have been following an unholy, hateful lie
When I think about it now, I think I’d rather die

I didn't write 'em, our new guy did. It's part of a two song concept. It's a little (a lot?) cheesy, but it's counter-acted by the second song, which I did write. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
10-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Very Sabbathy, and very cool. Very Solid.

I dig it..I would buy a copy if it was on the shelves today.

powerslave_85
10-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Eh, the lyrics are little bit too much O:MC to me, but they're still pretty good.

EvilCheeseWedge
10-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Very Sabbathy, and very cool. Very Solid.

I dig it..I would buy a copy if it was on the shelves today.

Yeah, my buddy - the other guitarist/bassist (we alternate) - wrote the bulk of this one. It's definitely our most Sabbath sounding. Next week it's one of my soungs, which, surprise, has a 'Ryche vibe (with shades of Megadeth and even Tool.)

Thanks ;)

EvilCheeseWedge
10-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Eh, the lyrics are little bit too much O:MC to me, but they're still pretty good.

The weird thing about it is the guy wrote it before we even showed him O:MC :lol:

But yes, I warned him of the same thing and actually changed a few parts, because it was even closer before.

ChildrenofSodom
10-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Brad and I need to post our song on here some day.....:eyes:

EvilCheeseWedge
10-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Brad and I need to post our song on here some day.....:eyes:
Dun dun dun :eyes:

sneakbobcat
10-16-2006, 08:26 AM
well it's amazing to be honest. I don't like the bassline so much. But personal preference! ;)
Make sure to send this on once you have vocals on it. And who wrote the guitar?

sneakbobcat
10-16-2006, 08:31 AM
how did you record that?
Cause my band are going to a recording studio this week, tips would be much appreciated :).

EvilCheeseWedge
10-16-2006, 08:48 AM
well it's amazing to be honest. I don't like the bassline so much. But personal preference! ;)
Make sure to send this on once you have vocals on it. And who wrote the guitar?

Thanks! Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? My friend - the other guitarist/bassist - is the one that wrote the music and played the bass guitar on this recording. It's mostly his guitar parts, but I tweaked a few things (but not much!)

EvilCheeseWedge
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
how did you record that?
Cause my band are going to a recording studio this week, tips would be much appreciated :).

Well, since this is just a rough demo it's not exactly how we'd record for a final song, but it's close:

We start by figuring out the tempo we want to record with. It's usually close to how we practice it, but sometimes we decide to slow it down, or speed it up slightly. Once we have the tempo we lay down guitar and bass first. This is odd, I know, but our drummer prefers it. The bass is through an Ampeg head and cabinet, which we mic. These mics run to a 16 channel Yamaha mixer. My guitar is not amped, it's a direct stereo feed from a Zoom GFX-4 (it's a piece of shit) or a GFX-8 (which belongs to the other guitarist) - for "Messiah" I used my GFX-4. The stereo feed also dumps into the mixer. We have three computers set up. Each one has a different bus from the mixer. For guitar and bass we only needed two computers. One computer recorded my stereo guitar tracks, and the other recorded the left bass microphone and the right bass microphone onto separate tracks.

We record guitar and bass at the same time, so we each have headphones. We hear a metronome and each other. Once we finish, we move the recording from two computers back to one and line it up. Once it's lined up, we record drums. The drummer hears the guitar and bass through headphones (and also his own microphones.)

We have six drum microphones for recording. We actually mic more than that live, but our current recording system is limited to six. We have a kick-mic, a snare mic- two tom mics, and two overheads. These all go to the mixer, and then the mixer sends them to the three computers. The tom microphones, for example, would be a left and a right track on one of the computers.

After the drums are done, we have to line up all six of those tracks to the bass and guitar, which takes a minute, but not much more.

You can actually hear the metronome on our recording at the end, because we forget to chop it off when we were mixing it. At the moment, all our computers use Adobe Audition 1.5 - that's what we're recording and mixing with.

sneakbobcat
10-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Well, since this is just a rough demo it's not exactly how we'd record for a final song, but it's close:

We start by figuring out the tempo we want to record with. It's usually close to how we practice it, but sometimes we decide to slow it down, or speed it up slightly. Once we have the tempo we lay down guitar and bass first. This is odd, I know, but our drummer prefers it. The bass is through an Ampeg head and cabinet, which we mic. These mics run to a 16 channel Yamaha mixer. My guitar is not amped, it's a direct stereo feed from a Zoom GFX-4 (it's a piece of shit) or a GFX-8 (which belongs to the other guitarist) - for "Messiah" I used my GFX-4. The stereo feed also dumps into the mixer. We have three computers set up. Each one has a different bus from the mixer. For guitar and bass we only needed two computers. One computer recorded my stereo guitar tracks, and the other recorded the left bass microphone and the right bass microphone onto separate tracks.

We record guitar and bass at the same time, so we each have headphones. We hear a metronome and each other. Once we finish, we move the recording from two computers back to one and line it up. Once it's lined up, we record drums. The drummer hears the guitar and bass through headphones (and also his own microphones.)

We have six drum microphones for recording. We actually mic more than that live, but our current recording system is limited to six. We have a kick-mic, a snare mic- two tom mics, and two overheads. These all go to the mixer, and then the mixer sends them to the three computers. The tom microphones, for example, would be a left and a right track on one of the computers.

After the drums are done, we have to line up all six of those tracks to the bass and guitar, which takes a minute, but not much more.

You can actually hear the metronome on our recording at the end, because we forget to chop it off when we were mixing it. At the moment, all our computers use Adobe Audition 1.5 - that's what we're recording and mixing with.

I think we are just going to get it done proffesionally though.
The problem with that is you would normally pick up a lot of background sound etc. The recording does sound very good though.
But did it not cost a lot for the mixer and mics and equiptment?

sneakbobcat
10-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? My friend - the other guitarist/bassist - is the one that wrote the music and played the bass guitar on this recording. It's mostly his guitar parts, but I tweaked a few things (but not much!)

It sounds a little twangy and out of place in my opinion. It doesn't sound strong, and i can't decide whether it's the music or the recording that makes me dislike it :confused:

EvilCheeseWedge
10-16-2006, 09:42 AM
I think we are just going to get it done proffesionally though.
The problem with that is you would normally pick up a lot of background sound etc. The recording does sound very good though.
But did it not cost a lot for the mixer and mics and equiptment?

That's cool, professional is the way to go :)

Yes, and we do. We play in my basement, and yesterday's demo, for instance, was recorded in our practice area, so it picks up a lot of noise. But for our final demo stuff, there's a room connected to our practice area that is insulated, and we use it for the recordings. There's usually no noise in there, and the computers sit outside of the room, so no fan noise or anything. Not professional, but close!

In short, yes it's expensive, however, everything we use to record we also use live. The Yamaha 16-channel mixer was about $400, but it's the mixer for our PA as well. The drum mics are about a $70 setup - they're very cheap. We have two $100 vocal mics, which are used from drums during recordings as well. And again, everything else (bass amp + cab) is used live, so while it was expensive, we use the stuff a lot! We actually have the drums miced during our practices too, which explains why we're all deaf...

EvilCheeseWedge
10-16-2006, 09:43 AM
It sounds a little twangy and out of place in my opinion. It doesn't sound strong, and i can't decide whether it's the music or the recording that makes me dislike it :confused:

Okay. I hear you on the twangy... you're not the first that's commented on the bass. I think it's a little of both though... I think we could do a better setup for recording the bass, but I think the bass part gets a little "busy" in some spots as well.

sneakbobcat
10-16-2006, 09:59 AM
That's cool, professional is the way to go :)

Yes, and we do. We play in my basement, and yesterday's demo, for instance, was recorded in our practice area, so it picks up a lot of noise. But for our final demo stuff, there's a room connected to our practice area that is insulated, and we use it for the recordings. There's usually no noise in there, and the computers sit outside of the room, so no fan noise or anything. Not professional, but close!

In short, yes it's expensive, however, everything we use to record we also use live. The Yamaha 16-channel mixer was about $400, but it's the mixer for our PA as well. The drum mics are about a $70 setup - they're very cheap. We have two $100 vocal mics, which are used from drums during recordings as well. And again, everything else (bass amp + cab) is used live, so while it was expensive, we use the stuff a lot! We actually have the drums miced during our practices too, which explains why we're all deaf...

Ah that's not quite as expensive as i would have thought. And that's pretty cool that you have all that backline for live gigs too :rocker:

EvilCheeseWedge
10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Ah that's not quite as expensive as i would have thought. And that's pretty cool that you have all that backline for live gigs too :rocker:

Yeah, it's not too bad. I didn't really buy much of our live setup, it was mostly our other guitarist, heheh. Yep, and if we play a gig where we don't need our own PA, at least we still have it around for own practices ;)

ADD
10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
If the vocals don't suck, this song will pwn t3h face.

SomewhereInTime72
10-16-2006, 04:53 PM
If the vocals don't suck, this song will pwn t3h face.
I agree, this fuckin rawks. :horns:

But I did notice the "twangy" bass and it was kinda weird.

EvilCheeseWedge
10-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I agree, this fuckin rawks. :horns:

But I did notice the "twangy" bass and it was kinda weird.

Yeah, it's been bugging me too. I commented on it while recording, but didn't think much of it. Anyways, we're gonna tweak the bass recording setup (and the bass line) and see if we can get a more consistent less twangy bass.

EvilCheeseWedge
10-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Alright, so we're potentially bringing in another member into the band, which would turn this song into a two guitar song again. Here's what it used to sound like in our old band with two guitars:

http://www.evilcheesewedge.com/FTMOTR.mp3

Obviously it's played a lot slower and stuff, and we have a different vocalist, vocal melody, lyrics, title, etc. etc.

I guess I'm not really partial to a one guitar or two guitar verison... thoughts?