PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden -- Camden, NJ -- October 7th, 2006

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Alright, well Maiden is such a big deal to so many of us here, I figured I should make writing this review a primary concern. Don't worry. I'll be providing a shit loud of details about almost anything and everything regarding the show.

We all probably know the set list already, so I'll get it out of the way first:
1-10 A Matter of Life and Death
11.Fear of the Dark
12.Iron Maiden
Encore
13.2 Minutes to Midnight
14.The Evil That Men Do
15.Hallowed Be Thy Name

Alright, In attendance for this show was me, along with several good friends... My sister, my friend John (theclansman1114), my friend Nick, and my friend Chad... we also knew many other people at the show and hung out with them before, after, and during, but the 5 of us went together.
We got there around 4:30, and basically spent the two hours before the show hanging out and blasting Maiden out of the car... despite knowing the set list, we mainly focused on Maiden we loved that we knew we wouldn't hear... but anyway, doors opened at 6:30, we spent a good half hour in the merchandise line, but it was well worth it.
THE MERCH RUN-DOWN:
There are 6 or 7 DIFFERENT T-Shirt designs, 2 longsleeves, a hoodie, a baseball jersey, hat, beanie, wristband, wallet, pin set, tour poster, backpatch, and I believe one or two other items as well... There was so much stuff that I began to feel like the $90 I brought for merch wouldnt be near enough... In the end I bought 2 shirts and wristband...
We then kinda loitered in the lobby for 20 minutes... then decided to file in... we thought we had pretty good seats being our section/row number, but turns out myself and my friend John would've had a very very horrible view of the stage due to the angle we were on... luckily, his friend who was also there had 2 extra tickets for friends of his that couldn't make it, so he let us take them, we moved back several rows but to very close to center of the stage... proved to be an excellent decision.
So, about 15-20 minutes later, Bullet For My Valentine took the stage. Ugh. Musically, they actually had some decently good stuff going on from time to time, but the vocals were just absolutely fucking atrocious. Luckily I only had to suffer through about 3 songs before John called me out into the lobby to talk to me for a while, we remained in-lobby for the rest of their set. When they were done, he gave them a hailstorm of boo-ing.
The wait for Maiden was actually surprisingly painless. We were able to talk a bit and sit down, so it wasn't bad... things moved along very timely. Before we knew it, Doctor Doctor came on over the PA, we stould up and sang along.

The show...
What can I say, I'm simply floored. Not to say I wasn't expecting a stellar production from Maiden, but god damn, this was one hell of a show. The sound was amazing, some of the best live sound I've heard. By the end of the second song, the mix was very very good... you could hear every instrument well as well as having the vocals be perfectly audible...
The band themselves puts one hell of a show, this is no secret. The band always supplies a great amount of running around... I have to admit, I was very very happy with Bruce... his voice sounded very good, he put on a good show, and didn't get carried away with any rants...
The lighting really adds a lot to the show... I feel they have perfect medium... they're lighting is very precise and elaborate, but it doesnt become the show (cough cough Pink Floyd). It really just enhances the performance.
And speaking of performance enhancement, I was quite impressed by the backdrops on this tour... They had a Different World backdrop, These Colours Don't Run backdrop, Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg backdrop, The Longest Day backdrop, AMOLAD cover backdrop, 2MtM backdrop, and I believe even or two others as well... very nice.
And the stage looks very excellent as well. Clearly they were going for a war theme. They've got sandbags towards the front as well as various other pictures and such as part of the stage scenery... Eddie comes out during the Evil That Men Do with a gun and starts shooting the crowd... And the tank...
... Yeah, the tank. Interesting story behind that. As you probably know at this point, there's a big ass tank that's supposed to pop up during the song Iron Maiden... we were waiting for it, and waiting for it... but it never came... we all started shouting: "WHERE'S THE TANK?!?!" It never came. Bruce apologized when they came back for the encores cause apparently the power sources couldn't make it happen. Figures. Fuckin A. Oh well, at least our show will be remembered for being unique.
Highlight songs of the night were These Colours Don't Run, For the Greater Good of God, and The Evil That Men Do.

I was very very upset with the people at this show. From the 3rd or 4th song in, people started yelling to "play some old shit", even after Bruce told the audience they were playing the whole new album... As soon as the lights came on at the end, people started flipping out, swearing at the band, saying they'd never see Maiden again. Frankly, fuck those people. Seriously. This was Maiden's highest charting album debut in the US ever, but I don't understand how, since apparently nobody likes it... the crowd was DEAD through the majority of the show... we were the only guys really into it. First off, you have no one to be upset with but yourself. If you come to see a band supporting their new album, you should expect tour hear their new album, not usually the whole thing, but most often most of it, there's a reason they call it the A MAtter of Life and Death tour as opposed to just "Iron Maiden tour 2006". And frankly, it's as simple as this:
Maiden does greatest hits tours almost every other year now. When they tour in support of a new studio album, they should play it, and frankly I wish they would've done it for Brave New World and maybe even Dance of Death as well... they're great albums and the band is proud of them, they should showcase them. If you want to hear entirely songs from 1984 and earlier, you shouldn't fucking come to see them on this tour. I hate people that think when a bands been around for 25 years, they still have to cater to their exact wants for a set list. Frankly, I'm glad Maiden did this. It shows that they have a backbone and actually aren't afraid to break away from predictability.

The show ended around 11:30, all of us met back up and filed outside, where we hung out for a while with Jon Murphy, the singer from McBrain Damage as well as some other friends. We left the venue around 12, stopped to get something to drink and such, then left to come home... I got home about an hour and a half ago.

I must say, one hell of a fucking night.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free.

Angelripper
10-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Sounds good.

What was the crowd reaction after Maiden finished playing?

sneakbobcat
10-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks, sounds like a great night.

DethMaiden
10-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Okay, I hate that the people were saying to play old stuff and swearing at the band, if they've ever turned on their computer, they should know that was the case since before the album was out.

Glad it was a great show, even though the lack of The Trooper is still kind of disappointing. Kinda sucks that I can't go even though I don't want to see all of AMOLAD.

SomewhereInTime72
10-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Why would anyone complain about AMOLAD on an AMOLAD tour. :tp:

Sounds great though! Can't wait till thursday.

JRA
10-08-2006, 08:29 AM
It could be that a lot of people first bought the Maiden album so they could get their hands on it, not neccesarily because it was good. I think if it was really really good, it would have stayed on the charts for longer.

I'm not surprised at all that there are cranky fans dissapointed that they aren't playing their old stuff.

:2cents:

DethMaiden
10-08-2006, 09:00 AM
It could be that a lot of people first bought the Maiden album so they could get their hands on it, not neccesarily because it was good. I think if it was really really good, it would have stayed on the charts for longer.

I'm not surprised at all that there are cranky fans dissapointed that they aren't playing their old stuff.

:2cents:

Totally true.

Bloodcurse
10-08-2006, 09:15 AM
i was at Camden, i thought the show was amazing!!

anthraxmosher
10-08-2006, 10:03 AM
October 21st is gonna fuckin rule!!! UP THE IRONS!!!!!

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Sounds good.

What was the crowd reaction after Maiden finished playing?

It was despicable. You really knew who the true fans were. Myself and my friends were all very very thrilled with everything, but people who claim to be fans were flipping out, swearing at the band, and saying they'd never see or support Maiden again. It's just absurd. I can't believe people.

theclansman1114
10-08-2006, 10:48 AM
GREAT REVIEW DT:

Many boos from me at that shitty opening act... I was quite loud. People were actually cheering for me cause I was so loud.

For Maiden: The people around us were such deadbeats. They stood there... that was it. No singing, no clapping, no NOTHING. It was quite annoying, considering how Bruce was trying to get the crowd into it, and practically the entire 2nd section basically ignored him... it was like they were forced to be there. Fuck them.

Maiden was awesome in every sense of the word, as you may have gathered from the first post.

Merch was quite amazing. A ton of it too. I bought a Breeg shirt and an AMOLAD album cover shirt and a wristband, funny enough, after seeing ALL that merch, me and Jeff actually knew someone who was complaining about being "disappointed" with the merch. WTF?! Some ppl complain about anything. And the merch was CLEARLY not something to be complaining about.

Great show, and I love the setlist. Bout time they do something a little different.

Oh, and Hail Terrence, my friend who gave us the center seats! We had a very atrocious angle and would not have seen a lot if he didnt let us sit with him. :fist:

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 11:05 AM
GREAT REVIEW DT:

Many boos from me at that shitty opening act... I was quite loud. People were actually cheering for me cause I was so loud.

For Maiden: The people around us were such deadbeats. They stood there... that was it. No singing, no clapping, no NOTHING. It was quite annoying, considering how Bruce was trying to get the crowd into it, and practically the entire 2nd section basically ignored him... it was like they were forced to be there. Fuck them.

Maiden was awesome in every sense of the word, as you may have gathered from the first post.

Merch was quite amazing. A ton of it too. I bought a Breeg shirt and an AMOLAD album cover shirt, funny enough, after seeing ALL that merch, me and Jeff actually knew someone who was complaining about being "disappointed" with the merch. WTF?! Some ppl complain about anything. And the merch was CLEARLY not something to be complaining about.

Great show, and I love the setlist. Bout time they do something a little different.

Oh, and Hail Terrence, my friend who gave us the center seats! We had a very atrocious angle and would not have seen a lot if he didnt let us sit with him. :fist:

:party: :rocker: :blaze: :horns: :pirate: :grim: :dance: :dance: :666: :fist: :powerslav :jima: :uk:

theclansman1114
10-08-2006, 11:08 AM
:party: :rocker: :blaze: :horns: :pirate: :grim: :dance: :dance: :666: :fist: :powerslav :jima: :uk:
wow

The pirate flag from that truck... dance of death... lord of light... Iwo Jima... powerslave...

nice reply hahaha

Div
10-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Wow that sounds awesome. Too bad about the sour fans tho, they're just assholes. Can you elaborate on what the back patch looked like?

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:18 PM
they can't go on stage without playing the trooper or running free, It's a scandal... I don't give a shit about the new songs!!

JRA
10-08-2006, 01:20 PM
they can't go on stage without playing the trooper or running free, It's a scandal... I don't give a shit about the new songs!!

:lol: Aside from last year, they hadn't played Running Free in years.

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:20 PM
do someone know the set lists of Camden and Boston? Are they the same of Hartford?? THANK U

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:22 PM
THAT' S A GOOG REASON TO PLAY IT IN 2006! Isn't it?

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I just can't understand how they could play the whole new album at Hartford... Am I the only one who think so??

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:30 PM
hey man,do you know the set list of Camden?

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:33 PM
hey man,do you know the set list of Camden??

ADD
10-08-2006, 01:40 PM
See, you guys don't get it. Playing the entire album live here is gonna go over pretty much everybody's head who doesn't post on Internet forums or isn't a real diehard fan. People just don't want to hear that stuff, and it doesn't surprise me at all that the audience reacted that way. In 2004 though people were really into the DOD material, but I think it was because Maiden sprinkled the set with classics and older songs as well. This set is way too structured in my opinion to flow freely. Too many long and involved songs in a row will cause most audiences to lose interest. It's unfortunate but it's pretty much what you've gotta expect.

DethMaiden
10-08-2006, 01:44 PM
See, you guys don't get it. Playing the entire album live here is gonna go over pretty much everybody's head who doesn't post on Internet forums or isn't a real diehard fan. People just don't want to hear that stuff, and it doesn't surprise me at all that the audience reacted that way. In 2004 though people were really into the DOD material, but I think it was because Maiden sprinkled the set with classics and older songs as well. This set is way too structured in my opinion to flow freely. Too many long and involved songs in a row will cause most audiences to lose interest. It's unfortunate but it's pretty much what you've gotta expect.

All of AMOLAD with other songs thrown in between would rule.

ADD
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM

It would be better than what it is now I think.

es156
10-08-2006, 01:50 PM
hey man,do you know the set list of Camden??

All 3 shows have had the same set list.

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I hope they will play some old stuff in Milan otherwise it'll be too disappointing for european fans!

frengo72
10-08-2006, 01:52 PM
thanks! but they gotta change something sooner or later...

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
"That is not dead which can eternal lie yet with strange aeons even death may die"

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 02:01 PM

Oh trust me, I definately expected this reaction... I didn't surprise me, but it definately upset me.

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:03 PM
I can't believe it... I'm going to the Milan gig in december. Never gone to a maiden show before and now...

SomewhereInTime72
10-08-2006, 02:12 PM

That's what's been upsetting me this whole time. I wish they would change up the order.

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
are they going to NYC?

ADD
10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
are they going to NYC?
Of course:lol:

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:28 PM
u know when exactly? tomorrow? or the day after?

ADD
10-08-2006, 02:29 PM
u know when exactly? tomorrow? or the day after?
You have access to a computer and Internet, fucking look up whatever the fuck you want about the tour at www.ironmaiden.com :lol:

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:29 PM
ok the12th maybe

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:31 PM
ok but I wasn't sure that uniondale was so near NYC! sorry man! i'm writing from 5000 miles far from u!

ADD
10-08-2006, 02:33 PM
ok but I wasn't sure that uniondale was so near NYC! sorry man! i'm writing from 5000 miles far from u!
'sall good:cool:

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:34 PM
anyway pilot Mr Bruce Dickinson is still a fucking good singer whatever they say! and an excellent boeing pilot!

frengo72
10-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I' ve been to 22 Acacia Avenue one month ago... good jobs...

iggyb387
10-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I' ve been to 22 Acacia Avenue one month ago... good jobs...

Blow.... jobs?

:eyes:

Div
10-08-2006, 03:10 PM
friday!!!!

cant wait :party:

frengo72
10-08-2006, 03:12 PM
you got it! no charlotte sadly

frengo72
10-08-2006, 03:13 PM
you gotta tell us everything then, alright metal mate?

Div
10-08-2006, 03:16 PM
i'm sure there will be a large review posted after the show.

is anyone else going to the East Rutherford show besides SirLardsAlot, Overkiller, KillYourFace, and myself?

frengo72
10-08-2006, 03:18 PM
sadly I have to wait december! holy shit...wish I could live in new jersey now!

Bloodcurse
10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
i was outside having a cigarette after bullet for my valentine and these two 12 year old emo girls walked out and were like "Well the concert is over!" I wanted say something, but didn't.

Div
10-08-2006, 05:52 PM
i was outside having a cigarette after bullet for my valentine and these two 12 year old emo girls walked out and were like "Well the concert is over!" I wanted say something, but didn't.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :hecho:

SomewhereInTime72
10-08-2006, 06:05 PM
You shouldnt have said anything... you should have just burnt them with your cigarette.

JRA
10-08-2006, 06:18 PM
You shouldnt have said anything... you should have just burnt them with your cigarette.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 06:24 PM

What do you like and what were you wearing? (I was at the show, naturally, and outside at about that same time)

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 06:25 PM

is anyone else going to the East Rutherford show besides SirLardsAlot, Overkiller, KillYourFace, and myself?

Theclansman1114 is.

Lucky bitch. He's going cause he got a free ticket from a friend cause they couldnt go with the person they were originally going to go with. :mad: :flame:
Hahah, don't worry John, it's all good... I don't hate you...

... that much.

Bloodcurse
10-08-2006, 08:39 PM
I had on a black biker jacket with the Iron Maiden "Hallowed be Thy Name" shirt...I'm about 5'7" and heavy set...and a shaved head.

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 09:02 PM
I had on a black biker jacket with the Iron Maiden "Hallowed be Thy Name" shirt...I'm about 5'7" and heavy set...and a shaved head.

Hmmm... I don't necessarily recall you... but there were so many people there...

I have slightly past shoulder-length dark blonde hair, was wearing a Dance of Death tour shirt, like 6'1, and fairly heavy set...

JRA
10-08-2006, 09:06 PM
What does 'heavy set' mean? Built?

Maiden33
10-08-2006, 09:08 PM
What does 'heavy set' mean? Built?

possibly, but in my case I'm just kind of a big guy... somewhat fat but mostly just a big guy...

jaysadler2
10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
in my opinnion its the bollocks that iron maiden are playing the whole of there new album. its such a good record and every song deserves to get played at the show. I'm seeing them in december in london, and of course i will miss some of there earlier stuff, but the regular maiden tracks have been played at every show for the past 15 odd years, its great to attend a show that is going to be near enough 75% new material set!!

I can understand all you "new" maiden fans being pissed off, but i think its great for the old skool fans to hear something different and new. You youngsters should appreciate it!!!

Also i can understand maiden playing the whole album, unlike on the dance of death tour just playing a handful of songs, i think AMOLAD is an excellent achievement to realese something so bold and fresh that revives maiden.

Plus to be honest, i dunno if its true, but in my opinnion maiden must get a bit tired of playing the same old set and same old songs. Last year is evidence of that where on there tour they were just playing material from the first 4 albums, i know that caused upset for the "new" maiden fans, but i fu**ing loved it!!! When are they gonna play that same set again??? and its the same with this tour, when are they gonna play this set again???

People with tickets to the maiden shows, count yourself lucky, this show's gonna go down in history!

frengo72
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
so i have to deduce that there is really no chance to listen to tem playing... i don't know... 22 acacia avenue or running free?
Of course they must play new songs but i think they have to change something when they'll play in europe..i'll go to the milan gig, my first ever concert..to tell the truth i expected another set list!

Div
10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Don't worry, rumor has it that they're going to play a farewell "best of" tour in 08, which isn't THAT far away.

sneakbobcat
10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Don't worry, rumor has it that they're going to play a farewell "best of" tour in 08, which isn't THAT far away.

And no doubt it will end in the UK, And we will get the best of things :D Because that's they way Iron Maiden always work.

frengo72
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
that's really awesome! just two years... as long as they don't cut another record an decide to play all the new songs in a 2008 tour!

frengo72
10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I did not understand the way they work really...

KerryKingsBeard
10-09-2006, 02:44 PM

I probably am, depending on what kind of mood I'm in on Friday.

DethMaiden
10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I probably am, depending on what kind of mood I'm in on Friday.

I wish I had the kind of money that attendance at a concert came down to my mood.

Robert
10-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Looking fwd to Nassau on thursday. I can't wait to hear all of AMOLAD live.
The last thing I want is another tour of wrathchild and, Run to the Hills. Please... I have "Live After Death" for that. Anyone that could possibly boo Maiden for still being the greatest True Classic Metal band of all time, doesn't have a fucking clue, and doesn't deserve to be in the building! And is definitely NOT a fan!!!!

JRA
10-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Looking fwd to Nassau on thursday. I can't wait to hear all of AMOLAD live.
The last thing I want is another tour of wrathchild and, Run to the Hills. Please... I have "Live After Death" for that. Anyone that could possibly boo Maiden for still being the greatest True Classic Metal band of all time, doesn't have a fucking clue, and doesn't deserve to be in the building! And is definitely NOT a fan!!!!

Now that is a good first post. :fist:

frengo72
10-10-2006, 01:45 AM
of course i am fan and i won't boo maiden at the concert but that's not the point. That is that playing the WHOLE new album is something never happened before and i really don't understand the reason... they CAN play all the songs they want,of course but it seems like they forced the audience to listen to all the new stuff... they could have played 6-7 new songs but all the entire album is definetly exaggerated! whatever album!!

DethMaiden
10-10-2006, 03:35 AM
of course i am fan and i won't boo maiden at the concert but that's not the point. That is that playing the WHOLE new album is something never happened before and i really don't understand the reason... they CAN play all the songs they want,of course but it seems like they forced the audience to listen to all the new stuff... they could have played 6-7 new songs but all the entire album is definetly exaggerated! whatever album!!

This also seems like a valid point.

Maiden33
10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
This also seems like a valid point.

Knock it off Brad, I think you're outnumbered now. ;)

DethMaiden
10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Knock it off Brad, I think you're outnumbered now. ;)

I think there are valid points to be made for both sides of the argument :tongue:

Robert
10-11-2006, 11:51 PM
OK Frengo I get your point. Frankly I would love to hear some stuff from Brave New World, and Dances, Even the Blaze records, but you know what? any Maiden at all is fine by me. it all RULES, and since this is the new record, and Bruce said he wanted to do the whole thing,...so be it. Now,... this isn't "Mindcrime", it doesn't NEED to be in order, that part's a little strange to me... but whatever they want to do. My best guess is that perhaps it will help to keep the flow going by doing it in order they way we fans have been listening to it. I don't play it on shuffle, do any of you?

Sidebar--(I recently saw the reunited Asia here in NYC and they played the whole first record, NOT in order, throughout the show, closing with Heat of the Moment, their first song on the first record and biggest hit of their career, That I understood and fully expected.)

I think the playing of a whole record may be getting in vogue, what with Dark side of the moon tour, Mindcrime, and various others going on.

frengo72
10-12-2006, 01:05 AM
yeah, I think so too. Anyway, I hope the fans won't boo the Irons. Metalmate, are you going to the Maiden show in Uniondale tonight? in the case I hope you'll enjoy it and we are all waiting for a detailed review alright?