PDA

View Full Version : Kenoma -- Troy, OH -- August 19th, 2006

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 07:19 AM
I’ve been spending the better part of the last twelve hours trying to figure out how to write this review. Every now and then something happens to you that changes the way you look at things, or at least things within a particular category. Last night changed the way I look at progressive music and concerts because of a poor group of young men from Boston called Sparrows Swarm and Sing. More is to come when I get to that part of my review, this has been intro.

There was of course a traditional pre-concert ritual consisting of metal on iTunes, metal DVDs, minimal amounts of Taco Bell, and Mountain Dew. CoS came over and drove his brother and myself to the venue, a basement under a downtown business in our city of Troy, and we met up with our friend once we got there. The pre-show festivities taking place outside of the venue worried me. There were large quantities of emos playing with hackey-sacks. Fortunately, when they realized the music wasn’t going to be gay, they left.

We went to the basement where we met up with Doug, my good friend and bassist of Kenoma. There was merch for sale, and before the show I picked up a killer Rune- The End of Nothing shirt for just $5. The first band went on without introducing themselves, and we thought they were Sparrows Swarm and Sing, which led us to think Sparrows Swarm and Sing sucked balls. They were actually called Romance of Young Tigers, and they made whale noises with guitars. Thirty minutes of ambient bullshit later, we went outside for some air. That basement was 540,000 fucking degrees Fahrenheit. Upon our return Sparrows Swarm and Sing were setting up.

Disclaimer: Don’t tell me to take their cock out of my mouth after you read this, you haven’t seen or heard them. Even if you’ve heard them, that isn’t the same as seeing them, so fuck off.

Six men hit the stage, two with guitars, one with a bass, two behind drum kits, and one with a cello. Already the configuration of this band was strange, but little did I know what lay ahead. Throughout their forty minute set, they did bizarrely fantastic things. Just some of the instruments they used that I haven’t mentioned: xylophones, violins, PVC pipes, rafters in the basement, and frying pans. Except it wasn’t like Stomp! at all. It was just incredible unclassifiable music. Not only that, handclaps and vocals were used very instrumentally as well. And I said this last night and upon listening to the full-length, I don’t take it back at all: this was a spiritual experience. I watched the boundaries of progressive music transcended by measureless creativity. My knees went weak with astonishment throughout their set, and I didn’t hesitate to compare seeing this live to the first time I listened to Operation: Mindcrime. A spiritual fucking experience. The setlist was as follows:

Selections from O’ Shenandoah, Mighty Death Will Find Me

That’s right, they actually wove a forty minute medley from their full-length record. There weren’t breaks or pauses. They got more applause than I knew was possible from seventy-five spectators, and earned every bit of it. I went to talk to them after the show. And bought a poster, sticker, and of course, their aforementioned full-length, which I haven’t turned off all morning. Here is a list of their tour dates that remain. If you live even remotely close to any of these, DO NOT HESITATE TO GO SEE THEM!

Aug 20 2006 8:00P 15th house Columbus, OH
Aug 21 2006 8:00P Modern Formations Gallery Pittsburgh, PA
Aug 22 2006 8:00P The AV space Rochester, NY
Aug 23 2006 8:00P he Spark Syracuse, NY
Aug 24 2006 8:00P Mercy House Church Amherst, MA
Aug 25 2006 5:00P Play room - MUSOMANIA 2006 Winsted, CT
Aug 26 2006 6:00P The Lily Pad Cambridge

Attend!

Finally came the band who I was really there to see, Kenoma. They impressed as always, playing their brand of instrumental experimental progressive music with a truly metal edge (three of the members were in Rune), riffing when they’re supposed to be freewheeling, headbanging when they’re supposed to be chilling out. It’s a unique live show to say the least, and even though they confided in me that it would be impossible to follow Sparrows Swarm and Sing, I told them they did a damn good job. What has been my favorite song for the last few weeks, live staple "1913", went over incredibly well. One of the guitarists was a little on the drunk side, but Doug turned up his bass amp and compensated for the sloppiness from stage left and played better than I’ve ever seen him play. Pictures should follow soon. Here is Kenoma’s setlist:

By Way of Sun Storm
30th Parallel
Sleeping Prophet

Did I rant enough? :lol: Great fucking show.

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Hmm, record really doesn't capture Sparrows. The live show was one of the best I've ever seen but this record is somewhat mediocre.

hot_turkey_ed
08-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I haven't seen a show in a basement yet. :tongue:

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 01:29 PM
I haven't seen a show in a basement yet. :tongue:

You haven't lived :mad:

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2006, 02:12 PM
The first band wasnt Romance of Young Tigers....

I remember Doug thanking "Sparrows Swarm and Sing for showing up, and Face of Adversity for comin' down."

Great show...Fucking hot. Fucking tiring standing so long....but Sparrows Swarm and Sing put on a great show.

I do think the reason the CD is different from the show is because since their stuff was stolen, they had to improvise with what they had...which turned out better than the CD.

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 02:16 PM
The first band wasnt Romance of Young Tigers....

I remember Doug thanking "Sparrows Swarm and Sing for showing up, and Face of Adversity for comin' down."

Great show...Fucking hot. Fucking tiring standing so long....but Sparrows Swarm and Sing put on a great show.

I do think the reason the CD is different from the show is because since their stuff was stolen, they had to improvise with what they had...which turned out better than the CD.

:lol: :lol: :lol: He thanked Sparrows Swarm and Sing for showing up IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY. Because they had their gear stolen and nowhere to stay. The band was not called that. I'm sorry, but :lol:

Uh, not really. All that was stolen was two amp heads and a drum kit and Kenoma let them use theirs. So no, the difference is because it was a medley and they put in all the best parts. But on reflection, the record is actually quite good.

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2006, 02:23 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: He thanked Sparrows Swarm and Sing for showing up IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY. Because they had their gear stolen and nowhere to stay. The band was not called that. I'm sorry, but :lol:

Uh, not really. All that was stolen was two amp heads and a drum kit and Kenoma let them use theirs. So no, the difference is because it was a medley and they put in all the best parts. But on reflection, the record is actually quite good.
oh..well..my ears hurt..so...:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2006, 02:23 PM
If Brad isnt going to post it, I guess I will...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5125/kenomard2.jpg

CoS, Doug, Brad, Caleb

ADD
08-20-2006, 02:35 PM

CoS, Doug, Brad, Caleb
:dorky:

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2006, 02:39 PM

lets see your pictures with local legends...:tp:

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 02:40 PM

Durr. It slays.

ADD
08-20-2006, 02:42 PM
lets see your pictures with local legends...:tp:
I would but have no camera:dorky:

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 02:42 PM

:lol: And the mystery of Codename ADD continues...

ChildrenofSodom
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM

those photos werent taken by my camera :dorky:

ADD
08-20-2006, 02:45 PM
:lol: And the mystery of Codename ADD continues...
:lol: As soon as I get some pics I post them. Someday:eyes:

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 02:46 PM
:lol: As soon as I get some pics I post them. Someday:eyes:

Just keep telling yourself that ;)

ADD
08-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Just keep telling yourself that ;)
:eyes:

DethMaiden
08-20-2006, 02:48 PM
:eyes:

Yeah, I don't even know what I was getting at there :eyes:

ADD
08-20-2006, 02:48 PM
:lol:

MetalDrummer888
08-21-2006, 10:51 AM
:clown: :dragon:

ChildrenofSodom
08-25-2006, 09:26 PM
"Dime loved crazy man sex. Sometimes, after a show, me and Dime had a whole bunch of crazy man sex."

DethMaiden
08-26-2006, 05:23 AM
"Dime loved crazy man sex. Sometimes, after a show, me and Dime had a whole bunch of crazy man sex."

Way to save a thread :dragon:

ChildrenofSodom
08-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Way to save a thread :dragon:

Dime Loves Shoes...Zakk Loves Shoes
Dime Played Guitar...Zakk played Guitar
Dime loved sodomy with mutual friends...Zakk loves sodomy with mutual friends

ADD
10-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Ummm, sorry to necromance this mothafucka, but if you're saying that Sparrows Swarm And Sing are mediocre on record and amazing live, then I probably shouldn't see them live for fear that my head might explode. This record is ridiculously good. Like, what the fuck are you on that makes you call this medicore? I'd crucify you for merely calling it "good" dude, this thing is majestic. I've never heard anything like it, the atmosphere is 100% genuinely unique and trance-inducing. Its like a movie, but with music, so it's better. I'm like in shock man. Fuck.

DethMaiden
10-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Ummm, sorry to necromance this mothafucka, but if you're saying that Sparrows Swarm And Sing are mediocre on record and amazing live, then I probably shouldn't see them live for fear that my head might explode. This record is ridiculously good. Like, what the fuck are you on that makes you call this medicore? I'd crucify you for merely calling it "good" dude, this thing is majestic. I've never heard anything like it, the atmosphere is 100% genuinely unique and trance-inducing. Its like a movie, but with music, so it's better. I'm like in shock man. Fuck.

LOL

Wow. See them live, seriously. Fucking do it.

ChildrenofSodom
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM

CoS, Doug, Brad, Caleb

Sorry to bring this back to the surface, but this is one of the funniest photos ever. Why the hell did I post this? And I look so young!!! Brad and Caleb too....DAMNNNNN!!!!!

Div
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
this is one of the funniest photos ever.

i agree

ChildrenofSodom
03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
i agree

I mean, its so ridiculous.