PDA

View Full Version : Queen of the Ryche -- Newton, NJ -- April 29th, 2006

SirLardsAlot
04-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Holy hot damn. Me, Overkiller, and Div just got back from seeing the Iron Maiden tribute band Sanctuary (www.ironmaidentribute.com) and the Queensryce tribute band Queen of the Ryche (http://www.queenoftheryche.com). Not sure if many of you of you remember but a while back I posted a thread about how I was able to contact the bands guitarist/manager and got them to play at a local night club. Well, that was tonight! We got there and the "security" or whatever were a bunch of dicks, but oh well, we got in anyway.

First up is Queen of the Ryche. Kick-fucking-ass. Their vocalist was awesome, and what was cool was they had a back-up woman vocalist who also sang lead on two songs. The guitarist was this old black guy who looked like he belonged in a jazz-fusion band, but he was amazing. During one song he escaped! He ran into the crowd during many songs and during one song he ran right through us and it looked like he was running for the door. Another really cool thing was that their keyboardist was blind, and he kicked major ass. Overall, they put on a great show. Unfortunately, I only have Operation: Mindcrime and Empire, so there were a few songs I didn't know. Their set was:

1. I Remember Now
2. ??
3. ??
4. Walk in the Shadows
5. ?? - The woman sang on this one.
6. Another Rainy Night
7. Jet City Woman
8. The Warning
9. Silent Lucidity
10. Empire - The woman sang on this one.
11. Operation: Mindcrime
12. Eyes of a Stranger
13. ??
14. ??

During Eyes of a Stranger, a woman came up to me and was like "Are you Steve? SirLardsAlot?" and I was like "Yup!" and she called over Mark Garcia, guitarist and manager of Sanctuary. We chatted for a minute, he appologised about the bouncer being an ass and whatnot, which was awesome. Also, during another songs, someone walked by me and I thought to myself "Hey, I know him." So afterward Queen of the Ryche's set was over, I walked over to him, and who was it but 2358 from the IMBB. I was like "WTF MATE?!" and we chatted for a while about the band and whatnot. So that was cool.

Then came Sanctuary. Fuck. Yes. These guys really blew me away. The vocalist was really all about the crowd, he was always hangin with them and handing people the mic. He handed Overkiller the mic during Fear of the Dark to do the "Woooaah, wooooahh, woooah" part. That was cool. When I had talked to Mark Garcia online, he asked if I had any requests, so I requested my favorite Maiden song, Rime of the Ancient Mariner. So before they played the song, the band pointed to me and said "This is for you. Rime of the Ancient Mariner." That really got me pumped. Now, through the entire 13 minutes of that song, there are about 3 line that I can never remember. At one point, the singer came over to me and gave me the mic ... at one of those three lines. I didn't know what to say so I quick made something up, which sounded maybe right, but I dont even remember what it was. I was so embarassed. Another thing, it was really weird, after Wasted Years, they had to pause -- the band just found out the guitarist's wife had been kicked out of the club. We really dont know what happened or how it ended, but after a short break they continued. So, here's their set:

1. Churchill's Speech / Aces High
2. 2 Minute to Midnight
3. Wasted Years
4. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
5. The Wicker Man
6. The Evil That Men Do
7. The Prisoner
8. Children of the Damned
9. Fear of the Dark
10. The Trooper
11. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
12. Run to the Hills - Queen of the Ryche's vocalist sang
13. Hallowed Be Thy Name

After the show, the three of us got pictures with the band, which I will post as soon as I get them. I also got a picture with 2358. Here are the pictures I took with my camera phone, crappy quality, I know:

Queen of the Ryche:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/SirLardsAlot/QueenoftheRyche.jpg

Sanctuary:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/SirLardsAlot/Sanctuary.jpg

If any of you ever get the chance to see either (or both) of these bands, do NOT pass it up. :party: :party:

Div
04-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh man, they were so good! :blaze: My ears are still ringing from that, hahah.

Now if only I can get this damned marker off my hands...

DethMaiden
04-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Buy more Queensrÿche! :mad:

Sounds like it was a kickass show though dude :metal:

ADD
04-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Awesome:cool:

KerryKingsBeard
04-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I think it's time Payson saw the actual band, other than just Maiden tributes..........

Maiden33
04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
I saw Queen of the Reich in NYC back in August 05... they sounded very very good, but they may have been the oddest assembly of people I could've ever imagined in a Queensryche tribute band, I was surprised, to say the least. I also was sad that Mike Lepond wasn't there since he was out on Gigantour at the time.

SirLardsAlot
04-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I saw Queen of the Reich in NYC back in August 05... they sounded very very good, but they may have been the oddest assembly of people I could've ever imagined in a Queensryche tribute band, I was surprised, to say the least. I also was sad that Mike Lepond wasn't there since he was out on Gigantour at the time.
Yeah, it was a very strange combo, but they were awesome.

overkiller
05-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Indeed indeed. I was going to comment on my "whoaaaooohh" singing (what the crowd does on all those live recordings of FOTD), but I see Lards has me covered. :cool: Only other interesting thing that happened was... well: So we're standing around for a while, and this beautful chick who looked pretty metal kept turning around and looking at me (I thought it was my imagination, but...). So I was like "Hmm." Eventually she comes over to me, points to my Celtic Frost shirt, and was like "That is fucking awesome." (Understand that this is NOT a metal venue, and someone wearing a CF shirt is significant.) Went on to say how CF is like her favorite band, how she saw them on the To Mega Therion tour, etc. etc... And over the course of the conversation I find out she is fucking 39 years old (how else would she have seen that tour, duh, oops). She looked late 20s at the absolute oldest (Lards and Div will attest to this). Anyway, once she realized I was only 19 ("You weren't even born when that album came out!") I kinda got that "old metal fan" snobbish vibe from her, but it was hard to tell. Pissed me off even though I wasn't sure about it... I hear shit like that at shows a lot too ("These fuckin' kids weren't even born when Sodom did this etc. etc."), and fucking... these people should be HAPPY that a younger generation of metalheads is keeping this great music alive. Yet they piss and moan. Oh well. It was a cool encounter. :horns:

Div
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Yea I would have said she looked about late 20's at most. But if people want to be snobbish then, well fuck them, they're just destroying their own genre.

SirLardsAlot
05-01-2006, 11:08 AM
She was hot though.

SirLardsAlot
05-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Took a while but I got the pictures of us with the band. The singer was outside when we took the picture though, oh well. Left to Right: Butch (guitarist), Div, Overkiller, me, Tom (bassist), Mark (guitar); and in front was Gary (drummer).

And Photobucket it down for maintenance, so I'll just upload 'em here.

overkiller
05-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I feel kinda out of place with the Celtic Frost shirt :eyes: :D

DethMaiden
05-25-2006, 12:13 PM
What's the affinity with facial hair? :D

Bouville
05-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Celtic Frost is never out of place :hmm:

JRA
05-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Took a while but I got the pictures of us with the band. The singer was outside when we took the picture though, oh well. Left to Right: Butch (guitarist), Div, Overkiller, me, Tom (bassist), Mark (guitar); and in front was Gary (drummer).

And Photobucket it down for maintenance, so I'll just upload 'em here.

I have the same NOTB collared shirt that he's wearing!

:fist:

Div
05-26-2006, 12:01 AM

Atleast you and Steve were wearing band shirts :hecho: