12-15-2004, 03:50 AM
TOUR: Jagermeister Fall Tour W/ Slayer
SUPPORT: Killswitch Engage, Mastodon, 8MM Overdose
VENUE: The Warfield -- San Francisco, CA
GEAR WORN: "Smile.. Satan Loves You" smiley t-shirt; Gimme Ed Hoodie
MERCH PURCHASED: None
MOSHING REPORT: Fucking Sick
EDDIES AWARDED (Slayer): 8

I KEEP MY SLAYER CD IN A POOL OF BLOOD SO THAT NONE OF ITS LIES CAN AFFECT ME.

Hot Turkey Ed went to see Slayer? What The Fuck? Let me lay it out upfront. I bought tickets for this show in September while in a much more tolerant Slayer mindset coupled by the fact Mastodon was providing support. I enjoy some of Slayer's music despite beyond-the-pale lyrics -- all, good and bad, overshadowed by my feelings on one specific song. I have spent the last two weeks coughing up and blowing out my nose things yellow and green, and I would have been more than happy to shitcan the whole affair -- except tonight was Bouville's first Slayer concert and I wouldn't flake out on a buddy in those circumstances. A better metal friend than me, you will not find.

Doors were late, and that gave us that much more time to enjoy the Slaytanism on display on Market Street outside the Warfield. I know it's a cliche, but there's nothing quite like a Slayer crowd. They're loud, ugly, obnoxious, and damn do they love their band. Besides the standard Slayer shirts, I saw a ton of Metallica and even a couple of Motorhead (MJ will be pleased). I don't remember seeing ONE Maiden shirt.

Once inside, Bouville screamed "BLAZE IS THE MESSIAH!" and actually got a positive response from high in the balcony.

We landed one off the center rail above the pit section -- a prime location that would require little self-defense and then only once when Slayer opened. This girl tried to wedge between me and Bouville to get in front. I muscled her back with my shoulder. She informed me that she was coming through anyways and I told gruffily "No, you're not." Then came the oldest line in the book: "But I'm a girl." for which I awarded her an "I don't care." She got the message and started to rub up against Bouville instead.

8MM Overdose (a local band) came on first and I think they played some music. I don't know. No one really gave a shit because this babe came out on stage in an skimpy outfit that would make a $10 hooker blush. Said babe preceeded to do a pole (huh huh uh huh, I wrote pole) dance without the pole throughout the four +/- song set. While she didn't get naked, the teenagers in the audience got a preview of what they can see in a nudie bar when they turn 18. Some kids on the rail tipped her a couple of George Washingtons which she flipped back to them along with a scowl. That money was proably more than 8MM Overdose got paid for the night.

Mastodon kept their hoes offstage and preceded to kick everyone's ass with an all too short but brutal twenty minute set. Their bass player sang and played center stage, which I loved since bass is my main metal axe. I want to see more of Mastodon in the future and would pay to see them even in another support role; these guys have a ton of potential. Their brief set list:

Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Megalodon
Blood and Thunder

Killswitch Engage was not my bag and thus I will not comment further. I generally do not trash bands in reviews because they are at least doing something most of us are not: performing on stage.

In July, I saw Slayer support Judas Priest in Marysville at an offdate concert from Ozzfest. Between that set list and what others reported here, I was well prepared and knew what to expect from Slayer -- no real surprises for me. Their set list was the same as prior Jager shows minus Die By The Sword:

Darkness Of Christ (intro)
Disciple
War Ensemble
At Dawn They Sleep
Fight Till Death
Stain Of Mind
Bloodline
Mandatory Suicide
Hallowed Point
Necrophiliac
Dead Skin Mask
Seasons In The Abyss
Chemical Warfare
Hell Awaits
South Of Heaven
Angel Of Death
Postmortem
Raining Blood

As headliners this time, Slayer made extensive use of stage fog/smoke and several strobing blinders-- the best I've seen this year. Not just once but several times, the smoke engulfed the entire stage and pit such that you COULDN'T SEE through it. Then the fog would rise and clear over Tom as he screamed, I mean sung. The strobes would blind and blaze during a chorus to the beat of the music, making Slayer look like it was rising from the depths of hell. It was pretty fucking cool. Oh yeah, backdrop changes on the opener and closer... in between, it's the same eagle banners they've used all year...some songs,they do little light tricks on them.. i.e. bright crosses that rotate upside down during South of Heaven.

Slayer doesn't run around that much; they get up on the stage and do their thing. Tom didn't scream "Hey San Francisco, are you ready to rock?" because the crowd already knew what to do. Hell, there were fights breaking out / moshing before the music even started. The lower section of the Warfield was one giant circle pit and pretty brutal from my vantage point. Bouville jumped in for Hell Awaits, once again, proving his metal.

I bailed out for the lobby during South of Heaven to avoid Angel of Death. I refuse to listen this fucking song nor will I stand silently while it is being played. A few minutes later after it was over, I poked my head in the main hall to see the raining blood effect during the last song. From afar, it looks pretty cool (like a red misty rain passing softly underneath a street lamp at night) but Bouville couldn't hardly tell it was happening up front.

I have spent a lot of time attacking Slayer this year. You know what? I just don't give a fuck anymore. Angel of Death will forever tarnish any personal excitement I can have over Slayer, and that's just the way it is. That one song and associated baggage, more so than anything else, prevent me from being SSSSLLLLAAAAYYYYEEEERRRRR!!!.

Instead, I'm just Slayer <yawn>. 8 Eddies.

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
***throws stuff at Turkey***

ADD
12-15-2004, 04:11 PM
:lol: Too bad for the short Mastodon set :( I hope they will come back again with a longer set in support of some other band(I could see Arch Enemy as I major possibilty). Glad that you and Bouville had a great time, to tell the truth though neither Slayer OR Killswitch are "my bag" either :p One day though if I get the chance I will see Slayer just for the whole experience of being at a Slayer gig:D I think one of my friends' friend was there too.

One again kickass review man :horns:

PowerMaiden
12-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Slayer's owns you all :rockdevil

and Tom doesn't have to scream anything to let us know what to do, we know just by looking at his smile hehehe....

....or maybe yes, he does....

...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR ENSEEEEEEEEEMBLE !!!!!!

Cheers !!!
PowerMaiden

hot_turkey_ed
12-15-2004, 06:25 PM
:lol: Too bad for the short Mastodon set :( I hope they will come back again with a longer set in support of some other band(I could see Arch Enemy as I major possibilty). Glad that you and Bouville had a great time, to tell the truth though neither Slayer OR Killswitch are "my bag" either :p One day though if I get the chance I will see Slayer just for the whole experience of being at a Slayer gig:D I think one of my friends' friend was there too.

One again kickass review man :horns:

Slayer is definitely something to experience.... very intense.

Yoda
12-15-2004, 08:19 PM
I used to listen to Slayer when I was young. I no longer do, primarily for similar reasons to Ed. I'll just say this, seeing Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss tour) on the night before the first Gulf War began in a packed LA Sports Arena was one of the weirdest nights of my life.

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 08:40 PM
I used to listen to Slayer when I was young. I no longer do, primarily for similar reasons to Ed. I'll just say this, seeing Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss tour) on the night before the first Gulf War began in a packed LA Sports Arena was one of the weirdest nights of my life.FACE IT YOUR GEETIN' OLD

....OLD MAN!:finger2:

J/K:D

Yoda
12-15-2004, 08:44 PM
When you are young, you lack the perspective that age and experience can provide. I simply do not support their work any longer. Haven't for a long time.

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 08:47 PM
When you are young, you lack the perspective that age and experience can provide. I simply do not support their work any longer. Haven't for a long time.

well I just have to wait and see if my feelings change when Im an old fuck like you :p

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 08:47 PM
When you are young, you lack the perspective that age and experience can provide. I simply do not support their work any longer. Haven't for a long time.:D

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 08:48 PM
alright HECHO knows where its at :rockdevil

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 08:54 PM
alright HECHO knows where its at :rockdevilhttp://www.slatanic-slaughter.de/images/cover/decade.jpg

I GOT THAT (YESTERDAY!)

and i will see them this friday!

Yoda
12-15-2004, 08:56 PM
http://www.slatanic-slaughter.de/images/cover/decade.jpg

I GOT THAT (YESTERDAY!)

I was at the show in San Bernardino where they recorded part of that album, you little shits. :mad:

:)

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
http://www.slatanic-slaughter.de/images/cover/decade.jpg

I GOT THAT (YESTERDAY!)

you JUST got Decade of Aggression :eek:

ah who cares, at least you have it now (and it is very good I might add) :rockdevil

I wanted to go to the NJ show but a bunch of factors made me unable to go :mad: . Its no big deal though, since theyre always on tour theyll be around again soon

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
I was at the show in San Bernardino where they recorded part of that album, you little shits. :mad:

you bitch :mad:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 08:58 PM

:D BOB MARLEY FUCKIN RULES!

Yoda
12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
:D BOB MARLEY FUCKIN RULES!

Never saw him, sorry.

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:00 PM
I did see Jimmy Cliff once. :eyes:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Never saw him, sorry.BUY HIS FUCKIN ALBUMS!

GET EXODUS!!!!!

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
It's a bad sign when you start to discuss Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff in a Slayer thread. :freak:

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
It's a bad sign when you start to discuss Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff in a Slayer thread. :freak:

for lack of a better response: :bouville:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:02 PM
It's a bad sign when you start to discuss Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff in a Slayer thread. :freak:PRETTY WIERD!

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 09:06 PM
PRETTY WIERD!

yeah but this whole BB is abnormal so who cares :p

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:10 PM
yeah but this whole BB is abnormal so who cares :pTHE "BETTER BY YOU BETTER THAN ME" SONG OF JUDAS PRIEST MADE ME DO IT

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
THE "BETTER BY YOU BETTER THAN ME" SONG OF JUDAS PRIEST MADE ME DO IT

HECHO you need to make your own BB

www.HECHO.com

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:14 PM
:flame:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:15 PM
HECHO you need to make your own BB

www.HECHO.com (http://www.HECHO.com)A WHOLE BB OF CAPS, METAL AND THE ANTI-EMO, NU_METAL, MILITIA!

KerryKingsBeard
12-15-2004, 09:17 PM
A WHOLE BB OF CAPS, METAL AND THE ANTI-EMO, NU_METAL, MILITIA!

GO FOR IT :rockdevil

anyway it is past midnight here and I am tired, goodnight

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:17 PM
A WHOLE BB OF CAPS, METAL AND THE ANTI-EMO, NU_METAL, MILITIA!

And lots of Metallica discussion... :rockdevil

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:21 PM
And lots of Metallica discussion... :rockdevilIT WILL BE CALLED

METALLICA THREAD 1983 - 1988

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:22 PM
IT WILL BE CALLED

METALLICA THREAD 1983 - 1988

And Iron Maiden has only released four albums: Iron Maiden, Killers, X Factor, and Virtual XI.

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:25 PM
And Iron Maiden has only released four albums: Iron Maiden, Killers, X Factor, and Virtual XI.Virtual XI IS SHIT

AND BRUCE IS #.1!

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:29 PM
AND BRUCE IS #.1!

Who?

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:32 PM
:rockdevil

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Who?:flame:

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:46 PM
True Maiden is pictured above...

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
True Maiden is pictured above...the NUMBER OF THE BEEAST is the best maiden album ever!

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:49 PM
the NUMBER OF THE BEEAST is the best maiden album ever!

Nah. It's good, but it was a step backward. It needed the complete, true Maiden to be perfect. Killers is superior.
:bouville:

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm supposed to be in bed. :mad:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-15-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm supposed to be in bed. :mad: I MUST GO TOO,
SLEEP WELL AND HAVE A UN-SOBER VACATION!

Yoda
12-15-2004, 09:53 PM
I MUST GO TOO,
SLEEP WELL AND HAVE A UN-SOBER VACATION!

:horns:

hot_turkey_ed
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
yeah but this whole BB is abnormal so who cares :p

FUCK YEAH! :horns:

ADD
12-16-2004, 06:50 AM
the NUMBER OF THE BEEAST is the best maiden album ever!

To quote my good friend Khan(for about the billionth time)-

DOD= Best. Album. Ever.

:metal: :metal: :metal:

HECHO EN MEXICO
12-16-2004, 12:51 PM
To quote my good friend Khan(for about the billionth time)-

DOD= Best. Album. Ever.

:metal: :metal: :metal:**SLAPS ADD AND GIVE'S HIM A JOB APPLICATION**

KerryKingsBeard
12-16-2004, 02:28 PM
**SLAPS ADD AND GIVE'S HIM A JOB APPLICATION**

:lol: